No worries, I think it's good that they have started the new group!

I do take a little bit of exception to the idea being stated that the concensus rules are "too restrictive." It's just that we have a bunch of people who've built boats true to the original concept, e.g., cabins, keels with bulbs. transom-hung rudders, etc., who want to race against similar boats, not frankenboats that have only marginal resemblance to the boats we've already started or finished.

As stated on the i550 forum, I think the boat should be built to whatever modification people want and they can have a blast sailing it! "Open," "Restricted Development," or something close to "Original Drawings." Whatever. It's a great boat and it's fun to build and it should provide sportboat thrills to a lot of people at a fraction of the price of a production boat.

Wishing Eric and company tons of success with the new org!

tf

A FULL 360

Starting 4/1/11, plans/hull licenses will go from $75 + $4.95 (shipping & handling) for North America to $125 + 6.95 (shipping & handling). Outside North America plans/hull licenses will go from $75 + $11.95 (shipping & handling) to $125 + $13.95 (shipping & handling). Easier said, North America will total $131.95 & elsewhere $138.95.

Tyveks will rise from a total of $239.95 to 291.95 total for North America & from $274.95 to a total of $328.95.

So get "em while they're still at bargain basement prices.

Thank you for your continued enthusiasm about this great sportboat.

WATERSHED SAILBOATS

Tim Reiter & Susan James

970-507-0428

Email: set@skywerx.com

www.i550sportboat.com/

Yeah, yeah, I know "Buy an ad." I've got a classified up here on SA.

Some smart people are buying plans before the price changes April 1st.

Plan set #365 is going to Sturgeon Falls Ontario, Canada. There is a boat already sailing in International (aka Frostbite) Falls on the border. I think it is a trend. If another from a 'Falls' builds do we have a conspiracy? Or is it a movement?post-1820-055561000 1301161685_thumb.jpg

TR

Hot Canary

Go to http://www.epoxyworks.com/

There's a really great article in this quarter's Epoxyworks Magazine on Hot Canary: Building the i550 & the Everglades Challenge. Check it out. Especially like the Tweety Bird & Cat photo.

CHEERS!

Timber

#368 goes to Denver! OK. 2 more shopping days until prices increase for plan set/hull license# & Tyvek full-sized paper patterns.

CHEERS!

Timber

Sold a bucketful of plans & tyveks during our price to-be increased promotion. THANKS!

Now on to GREATER GLORY & paying the shop light bill!

APRIL NO FOOLIN' NO SHAME IN MAKING A LIVING SPECIAL!

Kit special on all 3 versions for the month of April: $2100USD + shipping within North America.

Shipping quote good for one week (Fuel prices changing daily).

Call or email for details.

CHEERS!

S&T

570-507-0428

set@skywerx.com

i550sportboat.com

Cool! The PDX version, the "classic" version and the new "tuna tower" version for offshore gamefishing!

It is one versatile little yacht-unit.

Hey T-ford,

Trying to talk my Tim into a 4th i550 version. The concept: Ferrocement speed boat with big honkin' engines hanging off the back, with a cement Lion on the pointy end which holds the bowsprit in its mouth. I can feel it. It's going to go HUGE!

Want in? We'll need venture capital.

S.

Venture cap...hmmmm...that's OK, I can barely afford the carbon fibre ama'a I'm putting on mine next week....the i550weta.

i550weta.org

Yes, Team Glad, THREE versions does mean I am ready to start cutting the PDX Version... And we're running a kit special this month.

Timber

i550sportboat.com

We forgot to mention, the third i550 Hull Kit version, the PDX (Portland) type. Flush deck. Call before midnight tonight & we'll include the crate it comes in with the packing material you can use to build yourself a pup tent for your back yard after your wife kicks you out for taking over your garage. But wait, there's more. We just haven't come up wit it yet. And that's not all. It slices & dices & can also serve as a deep fat turkey fryer.

CHEERS!

T&S

The i550 Class Association has officially been incorporated and our Vison Statement, Constiution, and Class Rules can be viewed at i550class.org.

We began as a dozen i550 builders committed to racing i550s in the spirit we believed the boat was originally intended. Please visit the website and review the class documents. Register and browse our forum where we are already exchanging valuable information on builds, ratings, and boat/sail handling techniques.

The Class is proud to be hosting the second annual Epoxy Cup in Madison, WI on August 19-21 on Lake Mendota. Stay tuned to i550class.org for more details on the regatta.

Kevin (kmac17), Tim F. ( TimFordi550#87), and I are acting as custodians of the class until the first annual General Meeting which will coincide with the Epoxy Cup. At that time, the class will elect its first slate of officers.

Thanks,

Jeff Dalsin

Alchemy, i550 #129

The i550 class was not this planned out and detail oriented set up sailboat class, it was a loosely formed group of a few who saw potential and got things rolling. The i550 RESTRICTED DEVELOPMENT CLASS sort of evolved into what it is today. While you can certainly look at the J22, J24, Melges 24, Melges 20 and many other real one designs and see that all of the boats are Apples and not Apples and Oranges, you really can’t do that with the i550 sailboat. But unlike many of the box rules out there, the boats are still all Apples, just not the same types of Apples.

Some are Mackintoshes, some are Granny Smiths, many perhaps are Red Delicious and even a few are Cox Orange Pippin’s or Egremont Russet’s. The hull and the rig (and sails by default) are restricted enough that the boats, though different, will always be Apples in the end. The possible incarnations available under the original rules, per Chris Beckwith, the designer, will not give one version or the other any large advantage.

There is the basic reason there are two or three class associations being formed. The i550 North American Class Association, the new i550 Class Association and one forming (I believe) in Australia. People who had gotten their boats done earlier than others began to decide what really constituted an i550. Some feared what the coming builders may do, what advantage they might find. Others decided that their vision of what an i550 should be was the only one that mattered. Rules were written to accomplish all of that and more. A few hoped that the others would just follow along with the rules they were writing and interpreting and when everybody did not, it got a bit nasty. In the end, people chose to go their separate ways.

So now today we have the separate groups. I think it is a positive thing. It allows you, the potential i550 builder to pick and chose what class’s mantra suits you the best. Do you wish to have a boat that at least closely resembles all the others or do you care if a boat has a flush deck or an inboard rudder? That is the primary difference in the end.

One group, this new i550 Class (LLM) Association puts the most restrictions on the boats. Disallowing flush decks and requiring cabins. Restricting the sail area more and even disallowing some development items like inboard rudders, like the designer is currently doing on his personal boat. They believe the boats should at least look more like the original design and their personal boats and that is their right.

On the other hand the i550 North American Class Association is all inclusive and if you build it within the basically original restricted development rules, you have a place to sail. In fact, Watershed is now making a kit for the flush deck version named after the Portland group that started the NA class. You can order the PDX kit today.

Or you can do want most have done and get the standard plans or kit and built whatever version you wish. By and by, that is perhaps the best equalizer out there. Everyone does have to start with at least the official plan set and basically follow those plans for the most part to end up with a legal i550 to anyone's rules.

So visit the various websites, read the various blogs on people's personal boats and decide what an i550 can be to you and for you. Build the boat that suits you best. You will always have someone to race with no matter which class rule set you build under.

Frankly, I look forward to meeting all the different versions out on the race course and then discussing what seemed to work and what didn't. After all, it's what makes the affordable development class i550 so appealing, the fact that it can be different and yet similar enough that the racing will prove to be close and fun.

came across this thread awhile ago - what cool concept - I hope it really catches on. messed about with some designs - because of the chines, boat is easy to draw up in google sketchup

post-6923-1232663109_thumb.jpg

post-6923-1232663126_thumb.jpg

post-6923-1232663137_thumb.jpg

Sorry for my ignorance but what is this boat called?

This is the i550 Sportboat thread. The drawings you found were just someone's ideas on how the boat could look. They are actually pretty close to the PDX version now being offered.

You can find more information at these websites:

the original i550 site and forum

the North American (and the world) Class site

the newest & more restricted i550 rules class site

Watershed's site for purchase info

The drawings you found were just someone's ideas on how the boat could look. They are actually pretty close to the PDX version now being offered.

Except the "PDX Version" actually has a cabin; the images above are of a flush deck boat. Truth be told, we probably have as much interior volume from frame 110 forward as the original "dog house" version since we arc the deck from sheer to sheer all of the way forward.

Good synopsis, Joe.

I'd call the class site a "tiny bit more like one design" site.

One of the huge ironies of this "departure" by different groups (which is fine by me) is that the PDX group is building boats more like OD than any of the others! I salute them for that.

Ya know, SA is a site where people routinely slight handicap racers and advocate for OD racing. I'm thinking the majority of people who read SA would sort of see the point in one group going off because they want to race their boats in a class that more resembles OD or like-boat racing.

One group prefers racing based on boathandling, sailhandling and tactical skills, with less emphasis on design variations, while one group prefers giving design the highest consideration. To me, both are equally legitimate points. I simply prefer OD, or something as close to it as we can get, given the rule-set we've established.

good times!

And we've just been contacted by a fellow on the beach in Mississippi who wants to hear from others in the area about getting together.

At Watershed there are inquiries about YC programs to various stages of completion. We'll keep you informed, inquiries are welcome. go to our AD in the SA classified section for contact information.

T

It is a matter of perception. Those builders who formed the new association (i550 Class Association) need to see boats that look like theirs to feel comfortable that their boat is as good as the ones around them. To them, this equates to equal performance.

The rest of us see the i550 as an opportunity to express ourselves with the little fun things we can try with our boats. It does not matter if one boat has than full cabin or the next one has no cabin at all. Neither thing gives this huge advantage to either boat. Each is simply an expression of the person who built and owns it. Just because one i550 looks a bit different than another i550 does not mean there can not nor will not be great class racing between boats. And like just about every other class out there, the majority of the sailing will be done against other fleets rather than other i550’s. Just a fact of life.

The Portland group is building a fleet and while they actually do appear the same, they are also each a bit different. That is also a great thing about the i550 experience. You can get together with a few others and easily do a fun and rewarding group build. That is what got the PDX boys together to start with and now they have a new class association (i550 North American (and the world) Class) and a new version of the i550 named after them (the PDX - which is just the standard i550 with a flush cabin).

This does not change the fact that every other i550 built to any of the rule sets will be welcome to go race with them. Because the bottom line is simply that while we may be talking of different versions of the i550, in the end, the hull shape and the rig and sails are controlled or restricted enough to insure fun and close racing. It will always be that crew and boat that avoids the fateful one bad tack who ends up on that podium.

Anyone interested in the great little boat that is the i550 just has to read the information available and choose the style of boat and class association that seems to fit them best.

I am making a big push to get our boat, hull 130, finished and out on the water within the next 30 days or so. It has been a lot longer than I had hoped, but I think that shows why there has been so much passion on the part of the i550 builders. The building of this boat means you are committing the most valuable thing you have, your “free” time. That is also why it is important to be able to make the boat truly yours, whether that means a flush deck, carbon rig or inboard rudders. Or just the basic cabin boat, it is your choice after all. Just do it, you’ll enjoy it.

Well said. It is our hope also that the great number of people who want into the i550 Koolaid pitcher will take advantage of the built to any stage option. PM me for more information. Yeah, we bought an ad. and if more of you buy the plans et cetera we can buy a bigger ad. and we can be the world dominating juggernaut of the post modern J24 only a lot more fun and a hell of a lot cheaper to keep.

So we're wondering if there is a new slogan for the i550 like:

It's cheaper to keep her.

or

Like Saturday night dates, Fast, Fun and Cheap

Others?????

Winners get a handfull of cedar hand plane shavings to put anywhere they choose.

Timber

post-1820-090513300 1302888171_thumb.jpg

Have an i550 and a Open 5.7 lined up against each other yet??

Have an i550 and a Open 5.7 lined up against each other yet??

Hi Timbo, Long time not chat.

I don't think we've had the pleasure of a direct meeting yet. My guess is that they will be pretty close. i550 has a narrower waterline and a larger spin. The open has a bigger main and rotating mast. Looking forward to seeing it when it happens. Ben in carbon offset is in the bay area. He will probably be the first with an opportunity to face off. Might not be a completely fair comparison because his boat has added ballast and a stern scoop to satisfy local pHRF committee rules. No open's in the great lakes that I know of. I don't think they like the chop much, and we get plenty of that here.

Cheers, Kevin.

I'm pretty sure ben has met up with on in the three bridge fiasco? But there wasn't much breeze to make a comparison.

A quote from Carbon Offset on the i550.org site:

In light air the boat really likes to be heeled. Picked our way through about 100 boats (including on Open 5.7) got stuck in a hole, watched the fleet catch up to us in a building westerly (we were headed east) sailed away from them again once we got pressure....rinse repeat.....finally threw in the towel aroung 3 pm as the wind crapped out all together and we now had no reliable way to get back to Sauslito before next week.

and

We traded a couple of tacks w/ the open 570 and he asked what we were sailing (had the logo for the sail in my bag still, never got around to actually APPLYING it to the sail). His 570 was a dark green hull same as Carbon Offset. When I told him it was a i550, he said, "My son was talking about building one of those just this week! He built a little sailing dinghy in a weekend."

It would be interesting if the Open owner was on-line here and would make a few comments on what he thought of the i550.

The Open 5.7 guy liked the boat and was talking w/ his son about building one...but there is no way that day was a fair boat to boat test....way too flukey.

posted this to the i550 forums, thought I would add it here as well:

sailed in the Big Dinghy Regatta this weekend out of Richmond.

Had Brandt Adornato w/ me both days, John P who helped w/ the build Sat and Tony C (race chair for Richmond YC) Sunday.

The boat performed better than the crew. And we saw everything the Bay will throw at you.

Sat was 5 W-L races in building winds. We were a bit late on the first start, sailing in the Open Div, and had a SWEET spin run but were out of the money it seemed at the finish. Race 2 we were scored a 3rd but at this point I have lost track of that. As the wind built, my oversized spin (Melges 20 sails all around...cut the main and jib down and am sorting out the spinny) was too much to handle.....suffice to say we had shrimp for dinner......race 4 was the same story, pushing up to the upper teens, I couldn't set fast enough (halyard friction issues etc) and ended up w/ the spin 20-30 ft behind the boat....not what you want to see looking up....lots of halyard tween mast top and sail top.....if the rig was going to fail, it would have....somewhere in there we got the spin up and got knocked flat...Brandt (not at fault) was steering, climbed to the high side and was giggling as he looked "up the skirt" of my poor girl..."keel looks good from here!" We decided to cut the last few (disasterous) races short to make it back to the start for the next race....so it was day of letter finishes......and still ended up 5th of 12...not too shabby.

Today was a long distance pursuit race.....we went from ghosting to honking.

Made it up around Red Rock ok...including a decent spin reach/run....but lost out in the flood trying to make it back down the Bay. Then rounded South Hampton in Solid upper teens to 20 plus wind and flew white sails only downwind...GPS confirmed nailing 12 knots solid w/ swell assisted surfing....friggin BLAST if I wasn't so PUCKERED about the rig coming down as we stuffed into the back side of a couple of rollers. (Checking I-windsurf confirms that Point Blunt, just upwind of South Hampton was gusting to 30).

Lessons: weight forward in light to moderate air, heel is GOOD when working to weather, don't use a Melges 20 spin in less than 3-5 knots TWS (it drags in the water) or more than 15...unless your man-parts/wallet are bigger than mine (not sayin much there) and finally BUY THE PLANS BUILD THE BOAT!!!!

That was the best weekend of sailing I have ever had!!

It is so sweet when you go to a big regatta, and so many people stop to ask you about that SWEET looking boat you built....then go out on the water (and in my case) enjoy brief moments of brilliance.

I have ALOT to learn inorder to sail this thing to it's potential...but the boat did NOT disappoint!!

Cheers,

Ben

Great post! Don't be so quick to write off that spinnaker, there are guys out on the bay that carry that much sail in 25+ on 165 lb dinghies.

Great post. Thanks Ben.

Timber

Hello Ben,

It was great to see your boat out there, I was racing one of the Contenders. I was hoping to catch up with you on Sunday before I had to leave. I had really wanted to get a closer look at your boat. I've got the build my own boat itch bad and have been lurking on the I550 thread for quite some time now.

Take care,

FM

The Open 5.7 guy liked the boat and was talking w/ his son about building one...but there is no way that day was a fair boat to boat test....way too flukey.

posted this to the i550 forums, thought I would add it here as well:

sailed in the Big Dinghy Regatta this weekend out of Richmond.

Had Brandt Adornato w/ me both days, John P who helped w/ the build Sat and Tony C (race chair for Richmond YC) Sunday.

The boat performed better than the crew. And we saw everything the Bay will throw at you.

Sat was 5 W-L races in building winds. We were a bit late on the first start, sailing in the Open Div, and had a SWEET spin run but were out of the money it seemed at the finish. Race 2 we were scored a 3rd but at this point I have lost track of that. As the wind built, my oversized spin (Melges 20 sails all around...cut the main and jib down and am sorting out the spinny) was too much to handle.....suffice to say we had shrimp for dinner......race 4 was the same story, pushing up to the upper teens, I couldn't set fast enough (halyard friction issues etc) and ended up w/ the spin 20-30 ft behind the boat....not what you want to see looking up....lots of halyard tween mast top and sail top.....if the rig was going to fail, it would have....somewhere in there we got the spin up and got knocked flat...Brandt (not at fault) was steering, climbed to the high side and was giggling as he looked "up the skirt" of my poor girl..."keel looks good from here!" We decided to cut the last few (disasterous) races short to make it back to the start for the next race....so it was day of letter finishes......and still ended up 5th of 12...not too shabby.

Today was a long distance pursuit race.....we went from ghosting to honking.

Made it up around Red Rock ok...including a decent spin reach/run....but lost out in the flood trying to make it back down the Bay. Then rounded South Hampton in Solid upper teens to 20 plus wind and flew white sails only downwind...GPS confirmed nailing 12 knots solid w/ swell assisted surfing....friggin BLAST if I wasn't so PUCKERED about the rig coming down as we stuffed into the back side of a couple of rollers. (Checking I-windsurf confirms that Point Blunt, just upwind of South Hampton was gusting to 30).

Lessons: weight forward in light to moderate air, heel is GOOD when working to weather, don't use a Melges 20 spin in less than 3-5 knots TWS (it drags in the water) or more than 15...unless your man-parts/wallet are bigger than mine (not sayin much there) and finally BUY THE PLANS BUILD THE BOAT!!!!

That was the best weekend of sailing I have ever had!!

It is so sweet when you go to a big regatta, and so many people stop to ask you about that SWEET looking boat you built....then go out on the water (and in my case) enjoy brief moments of brilliance.

I have ALOT to learn inorder to sail this thing to it's potential...but the boat did NOT disappoint!!

Cheers,

Ben

Vallejo was a bust...we hit the line close to the pin end a little late, headed for pressure towards Berkely/Richmond (contrary to the rest of the fleet) got lifted and thought we were doing it right, watched others on the Angel Island sde of the course getting lifted as our breeze died and started to sweat...consolidated w/ the rest of the fleet around the Richmond long wharf....sailed among boats from the previous start and thought we were good again....then started a 3 hour tacking circle jerk where we slowly got pushed backwards by the ebb....watched one boat after another drop out....finally called it quits at 4 pm and headed back to Berkeley...took the boat apart and drove to Vallejo for a beer and a $85 tote bag...BUMMER....1 early report suggested that 15 of over 200 boats actually finished....hate to hope that that is what happened, but hate more to think I pull another DNF in a sailable race....Monday will tell the tale....

Fishingmonkey, get in touch anytime....love to show off the boat and would give you a ride anytime!!

Ben

Methinks the breeze is playing with you, lulling, yea lulling you into complacency, loitering just beyond detection biding its time. Be strong. Remember to drive deeper when the wind comes to play.post-1820-062169800 1304533862_thumb.jpg

BTW, Forgot to add this Shameless Commerce Announcement:

MAY Marine Kit SPECIAL!

Hull Kit special on all 3 versions (Long cockpit, short cockpit or the Round Portland Type) for the month of May: $2100USD + shipping within North America.

Call or email us for a shipping quote. We can send you a Paypal invoice for the special or you can send a personal check or money order. Also contact us for our Special Secret Discount for 3 or more kits shipped together to the same destination.

Please let us know if you want to sign up for our quarterly NEWSLETTER, which will be sent via pdf. The first one will be published on July 15th.

CHEERS!

S&T

WATERSHED SAILBOATS

970-507-0428

www.i550sportboat.com

P.S. 382 goes to Shanghai

P.P.S. 383 goes to Jamaica, Jah, Mon!

Thursday at midday left coast time I got a call from Jay at Dwyer mast. They are preparing to extrude a bunch of DM4 section and will squirt the stuff out in 29' 6" length which fits our needs exxactly. With about 5 or 6 inches to spare. The length before was 24' and we had to splice it longer. this is NICE to have it so simple to use now.

I am enthusiastic about this. let me know, I'll be talking with them again tomorrow

A couple of you guys have this section already I think it is a good Aluminum section for the rig.

Tim

set@skywerx.com

I like this pic.

post-1820-014188100 1304629857_thumb.jpg

We invite you to look in on the Draft building guide in "cereal" form over at i550.org. post-1820-026516900 1305141113_thumb.jpg

A heads up to those lurking around the i550 fringe, I have listed Carbon Offset for sale...ad should populate in Classifieds soon. I had planned to sail/race all summer and sell next year but plans change and more than anything we want to go cruising this fall, so it is time to start clearing out the garage. Save yourself the splinters and go sailing NOW on the best bang for the buck sportboat you will find. Check www.bensboogers.blogspot.com for all the build info. EM bendoolittle@hotmail.com if interested. Buy BEFORE the Delta Ditch and take me along as crew and I'll take $500 off the price AND I'll bring the beer!!

Ben

Just saw the youtube video of the time lapse building the i550 using West System.....and DAMN! Thats a nice boat, like the look of the permanent prob on it.

Has anyone tried using twin rudders on an i550?

DBSS in Aus. had twin rudders. Switched to a single after a bit. Liked them up, not so much down.

I am doing inboard twin rudders right now. Different set up than DBSS so I am still hopeful it will work out OK. Twins are just a bit hard to get set up right I think.

A heads up to those lurking around the i550 fringe, I have listed Carbon Offset for sale...ad should populate in Classifieds soon. I had planned to sail/race all summer and sell next year but plans change and more than anything we want to go cruising this fall, so it is time to start clearing out the garage. Save yourself the splinters and go sailing NOW on the best bang for the buck sportboat you will find. Check www.bensboogers.blogspot.com for all the build info. EM bendoolittle@hotmail.com if interested. Buy BEFORE the Delta Ditch and take me along as crew and I'll take $500 off the price AND I'll bring the beer!!

Ben

I think this post deserves to be bumped to the top. We will greatly miss Ben when he goes cruising but I'll tell you that at this price the deal cannot be beat. Somebody ante up.

Timber

# 389 Mumbai , India. We were jumping around the office card table when this order came in.

Ben

Still not in the classifieds... Already sold?

nope....Ed. should have the ad by now, sorry for the delay.....have had a few inquiries...(some serious, one wanted my bank account number to send me a check sight unseen, "I work offshore for Exxon" Sure you do! Love that!!)

Keep checking, ad will be up soon.

bd

Hey guys

im looking at building a i550 im living down on the goldy

and was woundering how much im looking at price wize???

Hey guys

im looking at building a i550 im living down on the goldy

and was woundering how much im looking at price wize???

12-15 with mostly brand new stuff, except motor, sails and trailer. most expensive part is rig, sails and deck gear. the hull is the cheap part

Thanks mate

just waiting for a e mail back for the boys in america for prices to send it all here.

Don,

We have a new exclusive contract with a kit cutter for Australia. You need

to contact Rob Askew at Trailaway.

A NACA Class member, who happens to be a Pro CAD software writer, is

redrawing all 3 versions & correcting some issues with the original CAD

files. He thinks he will be done by the end of May, and when we get the

corrected files Rob's company will begin cutting i550 kits.

Glad you are interested. Shipping to Australia is extremely expensive, so we

are glad to have found Rob. His company cuts kits for other American designs

and they have a really good reputation.

Thanks,

Susan

One of the Boys

Watershed Sailboats

sweet!!

well that sounds heaps easyer then trying to get it shiped here,

thanks for the help .

if you ever need to have a look at the boat let me know. boat is only at manly.

New slogan for the i550 PDX crowd...

Nuttin' BUTT i550!!

post-2191-043280000 1305962703_thumb.jpg

PDX #1 went sailing tonight; confirmed gusts to 25 knots, but mostly in that sweet spot of 12 - 15 knots, but very puffy and shifty.

Did the conservative white sail thing, but still had the boat planning up and down wind. We know that #1 is a bit "piggy" at 835#, but there is PLENTY of sail area to make her go fast!

Oh, and a BIG thanks to all our friends who made tonight's sail possible!

West Coast Sailing

http://www.westcoastsailing.net/

Supplier of all great Ronstan gear

North Winds Canvas & North Sails Oregon

http://nwcanvas.com/

Supplier of line, covers, bags and of course sails

post-2191-068760300 1305963725_thumb.jpg

CST Composites

http://www.cstcomposites.com/

Supplier of masts, booms, spreaders & bow poles

post-2191-065204300 1305963824_thumb.jpg

and if you didn't get mentioned, I am just high on adrenaline right now... More later...

Fabuloustastic!

Looks like it is a blast to sail. Need to get my dot green soon too!

CONGRATS!!!! Was sending out you guys good vibes yesterday that it would go well ...

What dot goes green as you guys are all building the 5 kits together?

Still racing today???

So happy after all your hard work Sounds like it was worth it! Sending you GREAT BIG WATERSHED GRINS!

Susan & Tim

Eric,

Looks fantastic! OK...I have to say...I see you and Brian but I do not know the middle guy...BUTT is he a plumber?

Can't wait to get out to see the boat.

Also -- I did clear out the barn so I now have access to the lead.

Doug

Doug;

We've been wondering about that lead! We should arrange to get that in the back of my truck some day soon.

The "plumber" is Dave's son Doug.

'Nuttin BUTT i550 for us today!!

MAY Marine Kit SPECIAL!

This special will not go into June. We can afford to give you a great deal as we can pick up our marine ply here & we'll be heading home to Colorado in Mid June.

Hull Kit special on all 3 versions (Long cockpit, short cockpit or the Round Portland Type) for the month of May: $2100USD + shipping within North America.

Call or email us for a shipping quote. We can send you a Paypal invoice for the special or you can send a personal check or money order. Also contact us for our Special Secret Discount for 3 or more kits shipped together to the same destination, like the five kits we sent all at once to Portland & look how beautifully those boats are turning out.

We've made a One sheet Promo pdf that we would appreciate you spreading around to reach potential new drinkers of the Kool-Aide, so if you want to help pimp your ride, please email us as below.

CHEERS!

S&T

WATERSHED SAILBOATS

970-507-0428

Check out our new serial form construction guide at i550.org.

Cheers,

Timber

There is an i550 up for sale in Australia. Someone in Brisbane should snap this up.

www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=10656540

You would be nuts not too. Professional build, Carbon spar and everything is near brand new.

ALSO an i550 is for sale in California. Positioned for the Delta ditch, don't hesitate. See more information in the SA classified ads.

So, ask yourself why you'd pay more for some other boat and get less?

T

post-1820-022671300 1306864062_thumb.jpg

What size is the rig for an i550? Have a friend that has an unused mast from a ???? Size is comparable to a Soling/Etchells, swept spreaders, tin. I thought it might possibly be a suitable rig for an i550.

What size is the rig for an i550? Have a friend that has an unused mast from a ???? Size is comparable to a Soling/Etchells, swept spreaders, tin. I thought it might possibly be a suitable rig for an i550.

Soling / Etchells rig WAY TOO HEAVY... find a cast off Viper AL rig, or possibly a Tempest rig. Star rig will also work if you are handy..

The up and coming Aluminum rig for the i550 is this: Dwyer DM-4. OK, so an i550 has yet to sail with it, but it seems like the one to use as it is bendy, but not too bendy and it is affordable - also the extrusion will be/ is available in a length suitable for the i550. At least two i550's are splashing this Summer with this rig so we will soon see how well it does. A used rig - well, most will work, some will be a bit heavy perhaps, but if it gets you sailing, why not? Change it down the road.

The house has been listed for sale so the boat must go....Carbon Offset's price is down to $16,500 OBO (see classifieds).

That is not much more than the cost to build it....start sailing now!

Ben

916-470-9446

Half the price of anything else. Carbon Offset is a great boat. Somebody is going to be very happy and the rest of you are going to be kicking your own behinds.

Shazza has had a win today (Sunday 20th) in the first two races of the 2011 Winter Series.

2 races, and two line honours wins. We had a 5th and 1st on handicap on a day with less than 5knots. Who says I550's are slow in the light stuff icon_e_smile.gif

post-45102-085117000 1308559382_thumb.jpg

What boats were in your fleet?

Shazza has had a win today (Sunday 20th) in the first two races of the 2011 Winter Series.

2 races, and two line honours wins. We had a 5th and 1st on handicap on a day with less than 5knots. Who says I550's are slow in the light stuff icon_e_smile.gif

What boats were in your fleet?

RL 28, SONATA 26, ADAMS 11.9MT and half a dozen cruisers/classic/timber were the direct competition for HCP, we also beat home a div 1 Colson design.

Congrats to Josh & Donna & you all (Shazza too, of course,) look beautiful in blue.

Almost home now. Don't recommend hauling a big trailer across the Mojave & Arizona in 120 degrees. Soon will be home in cool, blue mountains.

Also, Portland guys, great video & pix. Thanks!

Susan

so as you all know...price for Carbon Offset now $13,500...and getting calls (finally).

it'll be gone soon....will be awesome to get someone else into this great little boat!!

bd

so as you all know...price for Carbon Offset now $13,500...and getting calls (finally).

it'll be gone soon....will be awesome to get someone else into this great little boat!!

bd

If I was in the market for a boat right now I promise I would be on this in a heartbeat.

As an aside - If you plan on taking Carbon Offset out on Folsom Lake or Lake Natoma before selling her and need crew let me know.

new drawings at i550sportboat.com

bd

If I was in the market for a boat right now I promise I would be on this in a heartbeat.

As an aside - If you plan on taking Carbon Offset out on Folsom Lake or Lake Natoma before selling her and need crew let me know.

sure, would love an excuse to get up there....call me 916-470-9446...might even be going up this weekend to take a guy for a test sail.

Ben

Soling / Etchells rig WAY TOO HEAVY... find a cast off Viper AL rig, or possibly a Tempest rig. Star rig will also work if you are handy..

I've got my viper tin rig for sale! I'll give you a good price and throw in an old set of sails to get you going. PM me if you're interested.

Watershed Announcements

Matt Broughton has graciously agreed to host Watershed Sailboats Quarterly Newsletter. This means we can include much more content, and the curious and those already drinking the Koolaide, can have the newsletters archived in a convenient site. Matt will clearly mark a separate archive section, so it will be abundantly clear that this our commercial Newsletter “i550 Following Wave” and not part of the i550.org independent forum. For anyone who has signed up for the newsletter thus far, we will send out a reminder email.Because of the new plan sets and the opportunity to be posted at .org, the newsletter schedule has been modified to start 8/1/2011.

Visit www.i550sportboat.com/ to see the new six different i550 Plan Versions we now offer. Prices have gone up, as we are going to sell the whole 100+ page plan set together as one unit, so each builder can take their time in deciding which version they plan to build for each hull license purchased.

We also would like to hear from builder’s progress reports for the Newsletter and if your blue dot needs to be turned red or your red dot needs to go green for the map. Please send pix, or let us know if it’s ok to use content from your blog.

Also, we want to include “Class News,” so if each class would write up about 6 paragraphs on what your class is up to, like The Upcoming Epoxy Cup, The New i550 Wiki & we are always interested in what great new video or sailing extraordinaire & R&D the Aussies are cooking up. (Just suggestions).

Cheers As Always,

Susan & Tim

Watershed Sailboats

Great name!!

Need someone to build another one in the fleet and call it Dazza!!

Here is a little video from the "tiller cam" on last weekend's win at the Detroit Lake "log boom run"

These little boats are actually AMAZINGLY FUN to drive upwind; not the typical "sport boat slog" to weather. We picked off all of the longer waterline boats on the weather leg, then turned and burned downhill.

Rudder failure was unrelated to the mounting; the tiller rode up and caused a twist in the foil above the cassette; easy enough fix, but it sounded and looked HORRIFIC!

Really good downwind speed, but will be much better once we get a properly sized/shaped spinnaker.

Anyone interested in getting in on a CF rig order for the i550 through CST at a 40% discount send me a PM. We are looking at pulling the trigger on our remaining 4 rigs and can add to the build.

Lately we've been carrying on with Some folks in Tasmania. There is a hotbed of activity there and the goal is to have a fair population of i550's on the starting line for the coming trailer sailer and sportboat nationals.

Kits Sets for Canada

Watershed Sailboats Gains Another World Resource for i550 Marine Plywood Kits

Watershed is stoked that we’ve gained an exclusive kit cutter for all of Canada. CCI, headquartered in Ottawa, Ontario, (which also includes the famous Phil’s Foils, Phil Locker) has been the go-to guys for precision foils and carbon fiber parts.

Due to increasing fuel and shipping costs and tariffs, taxes etc. across national borders, Watershed is seeking royalty agreements with qualified, established marine companies. And with the advent of our vastly improved i550 design drawings and totally redrawn, highly accurate CNC files, we are making agreements with territorial kit cutters and possible full i550 hull construction.

CCI has earned an exceptional reputation throughout the world for top quality marine, aircraft, auto, wind/aero and custom production.

Besides i550 kit cutting, they also have great designs for foils (rudder, strut) and the keel bulb ready to go and they are also going to be building spars (mast, boom & bowsprit) for Dave Bradly’s personal i550 (Hull # 287) from carbon and will have tooling for these moving forward. All in all, a great i550 resource!

As with all our potential global affiliates that we making royalty agreements with, the plan set/hull license will come directly from Watershed, so that there will be a continuous and consistent registry of i550 hull licenses. The plan set/hull license will be included in the cost of each kit. In other words, if you buy your i550 kit directly from CCI, you’ll receive your plans from us at no additional cost.

CCI will offer other i550 components (foils, keel bulbs and spars ready to go) independent of Watershed, but we highly endorse these products.

“Exciting stuff,” says Dave Bradly, of CCI Sales.

You can contact CCI at dave@fastcomposites.ca: or call them at + 1 613 599 6951, or check out their comprehensive site at www.fastcomposites.ca.

Cheers As Usual!

Tim Reiter & Susan James

Watershed Sailboats

i550sportboat.com

970-507-0428

i550sailplan.pdf

WATERSHED HOT AUGUST SPECIAL!!!

New Plans + Hull License + Tyveks with FREE Shipping!

Runs From today 8/3/11 through 8/31/11 … A flat $300 US Greenbacks (send them while they still worth something).

Want the new plans, so you can check out the 100+ pages of very cool new drawings & choose the full-sized Tyvek templates for your i550 dream version?

i550 New Plans/Hull License plus your choice of Versions A1 through A6 Tyveks + Shipping is free to anywhere on the planet.

Usually for North America, it’s $351.95 USD or elsewhere $361.95 USD.

Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery of plan sets & Tyvek full-sized templates, especially if you live in a country where merchandise takes a long time to clear customs.

We can send you a Paypal invoice or you can pay via other methods listed on our purchase page at www.i550sportboat.com/

CHEERS AS USUAL!

Tim & Susan

Watershed Sailboats

Please note new email address: (since our usual one is maxed out by all your great email greetings) it’s: i550watershed@yahoo.com.

Carbon Offset now at $9,500 OBO....now this thing is starting to crowd our plans to get out of here and go cruising....come get it!!Ben

....that's nutz!...you're boat's cheaper than the cost of materials!

...what's your location?

Carbon Offset now at $9,500 OBO....now this thing is starting to crowd our plans to get out of here and go cruising....come get it!!Ben

....that's nutz!...you're boat's cheaper than the cost of materials!

...what's your location?

I HOPE this boat comes to the NW! With a retrofit CST carbon rig it could be had for well under $15K! AND NO LABOR TO BUILD!!

For those of you that will be in Cascade Locks tonight we will have an i550 available for demo sails. Stop by and check it out.

Carbon Offset is a west coast US boat (Sacramento CA specifically), but very mobile.....

Carbon spar would be sweet...but not convinced it justifies the cost.....will be fun to line em up and see though!