So all you glue sniffers - here is a challenge:

I am putting together a 20'ish sportboat demo weekend in Chicago the weekend of June 13/14 2009. Is there somebody, who can show up with a kick-ass i550 and take people out for rides throughout the weekend? It would be a great way to get you guys some exposure and also provide one more boat in this segment. More info on the thread here

We are trying to figure out if we can commit as a definite or as a maybe. 6 months is a long time, so maybe we can make this happen, but it's hard to say when it's freezing outside. We have 3 potential boats in the Chicago area and Tim is threatening to pull his over from CO if needed. This could be great motivation to get the boats in the water.

One of our concerns is putting a boat out there that's not ready for prime time. So assistance in making the boats kick butt would also be welcomed.

I'm sure more i550 guys will chime in on this and the other thread.

So all you glue sniffers - here is a challenge:

I am putting together a 20'ish sportboat demo weekend in Chicago the weekend of June 13/14 2009. Is there somebody, who can show up with a kick-ass i550 and take people out for rides throughout the weekend? It would be a great way to get you guys some exposure and also provide one more boat in this segment. More info on the thread here

We are trying to figure out if we can commit as a definite or as a maybe. 6 months is a long time, so maybe we can make this happen, but it's hard to say when it's freezing outside. We have 3 potential boats in the Chicago area and Tim is threatening to pull his over from CO if needed. This could be great motivation to get the boats in the water.

One of our concerns is putting a boat out there that's not ready for prime time. So assistance in making the boats kick butt would also be welcomed.

I'm sure more i550 guys will chime in on this and the other thread.

Keep me in the loop. With a long cold winter coming up you should easily be able to "git er done". If I can be of any help let me know

Keep me in the loop. With a long cold winter coming up you should easily be able to "git er done". If I can be of any help let me know

I just got my schedule re-arranged. So we should have someone there. And a long warm winter would help my build out considerably. Hard to work with epoxy when it's below 50 in a un-heated garage.

When the time comes, what we'll need most is help getting the boats sorted out. The last thing we want is to show up with a boat that won't go uphill. Or worse, break with a large audience.

Also, I could really use some help tracking down a used Star rig. I think that's my best option for getting a rig on my boat this spring. Any ideas?

I just got my schedule re-arranged. So we should have someone there. And a long warm winter would help my build out considerably. Hard to work with epoxy when it's below 50 in a un-heated garage.

When the time comes, what we'll need most is help getting the boats sorted out. The last thing we want is to show up with a boat that won't go uphill. Or worse, break with a large audience.

Also, I could really use some help tracking down a used Star rig. I think that's my best option for getting a rig on my boat this spring. Any ideas?

A star rig for an asym boat? Are you sure? Also remember that a star rig is normally set up with runners - not exactly a typical SB setup. I know where you can find a Soling rig though - free..........

A star rig for an asym boat? Are you sure? Also remember that a star rig is normally set up with runners - not exactly a typical SB setup. I know where you can find a Soling rig though - free..........

pretty sure kmac will be using the spar only i dont think he is planning on runners and all that shit ;)

Solings stick would be a bit heavy i'd suspect

this is a small boat

Dutchmen, Star, Laser 5 tonner ? . 6000 series drawn tube with composite tip

maybe one of the scows around 18-20' had a light mast ( melges 17 section for current Carb technology ? )

pretty sure kmac will be using the spar only i dont think he is planning on runners and all that shit ;)

TTB is right on the money. I'm looking for the spar, not the rigging. If I can use the boom too, then that's a bonus. Will rig it with double spreaders swept to 25 degrees. A star mast will also get trimmed both at the top and bottom too because the taper at the top is more than I need and it's too tall.

What I need is a light spar 25' 5" long with the top 5 feet tapered. Top spreaders are at 20 feet where the jib hoist is as well. Lower spreaders are at 10 feet and are the width of the chain plates. I'm willing to do what ever is needed from buying raw tubing and drilling/tapping to recycling something that's generally available. I'd prefer something that is cheap and already proven to work with the kind of sail area we are talking about for the i550.

16' skiff rigs were tossed around previously. Something about the rules changing and all the boats going to a new rig. Big issue there is they are in AU so I'd be shipping them here. But not many star's in Chicago, so I'd be shipping it within the us too.

All suggestions welcome. Ball park cost if you have it would be great too. We've got over a dozen boats being built in the US now and only 1 has a rig solution that I know of.

Thanks.

Solings stick would be a bit heavy i'd suspect

this is a small boat

Dutchmen, Star, Laser 5 tonner ? . 6000 series drawn tube with composite tip

maybe one of the scows around 18-20' had a light mast ( melges 17 section for current Carb technology ? )

green one in newcastle is going to run a 49er rig and sails..

Very curious to hear how he the green machine does with that rig. When is he going to splash that bad boy and give you a little competition? I can't wait to see a picture of the 2 of you lined up on the starting line.

Very curious to hear how he the green machine does with that rig. When is he going to splash that bad boy and give you a little competition? I can't wait to see a picture of the 2 of you lined up on the starting line.

he should be in the water in the next month or two i would guess. he has a big cat he has to launch for a client first

Whats wrong with the Dwyer mast in the plan. With six grand or so in the hull, the dwyer is pretty cheap. Why start mixing and matching spar sections. What any new OD class doesn't need is a bunch of variables to keep the fleets different or at odds with one another. With different sticks, the sails, tuning, rigging etc are all different and the good guys can't help the newbies very much. This dosen't help a class grow. Dwyer is a pretty reasonable company and would probably work out a better deal if the purchasing could get organized and channeled through one source.

Anyone in SoCal building one? Just ordered my plans.

Yeah, we're gonna build one.

Just got my plans yesterday, but my wife said 1 project at a time, so I have to finish the Porsche first :huh: , I am going to start gathering materials though, how far along are you?

Just ordered the plans. We’ll get going on it after New Years.

There's a kit going to Santa Ana too. Sounds like a budding fleet to me. That's way cool.

Whats wrong with the Dwyer mast in the plan.

The Dwyer section specified is quite heavy. That's why no one has gone for it. Minimizing weight aloft is a priority to improve righting moment which is why a old Cat rig is not too desirable either. The boat sails to weather healed 15-20 degrees, so weight aloft matters. Now if you have something in the backyard you can use, that's a different story, especially if it gets you sailing. But spending $1600 on a new heavy rig isn't to desirable. I think the early boats will all have something different for a rig because everyone is going to try to use what they can find.

With a dozen or so boats nearing completion all over the US over the next 6 months, some good rig solutions will get figured out. Since I can't do much glass work in a freezing garage, I've got time to research and figure out rig options. So far a used star or 49er rig are the 2 leading candidates. A home built spun AL spar is another option that needs to be looked into. That type of rig is common in AU but not so much here in the US.

And I'm under 5k for my hull with all new hardware and I bought a Kit too. So what was in your 6k for a hull guestamate?

And I'm under 5k for my hull with all new hardware and I bought a Kit too. So what was in your 6k for a hull guestamate?

Completed boat ie: painted hull and blades. less standing & running rigging, sails mast,boom sprit etc. This is what I gathered from S/A and the i550 forum.

The point however is that this seems like a birth of a great new class based on affordability. When the class has their first OD meet, it would be a shrade if there are different sail/mast combos on every boat. One winner, many losers. A lot of the builders are only going to have one shot at getting the major things right. Not that changes in construction, hardware, blade details etc. are not going to be the norm, but a whole rig/sail combo would be next to impossible for some.

If what you say about the existing dwyer stick is true, then the designer should find another. Can the kit supplier buy something custom in volume to keep it affordable? DM 375 with double spreaders??? Whatever.

The Dwyer stick is a US product right? The 49er rigged boat is east coast australia so not likely to source an expensive, heavy rig from OS.

I don't think differences in the rig will cause too many problems for the class. This is about low budget rather than exactly equal performance - if you wan that then maybe a laser would suit better.

The Dwyer stick is a US product right? The 49er rigged boat is east coast australia so not likely to source an expensive, heavy rig from OS.

I don't think differences in the rig will cause too many problems for the class. This is about low budget rather than exactly equal performance - if you wan that then maybe a laser would suit better.

skiff rigs are a great choice- plenty of sails available and not too hard to tune up. anything that is round about 80mm section will work. if everyone keeps things simple they should be fine. eventually there will be a trend as to what works the best, but people have budgets towork to, and things can be updated when funds are available. i think the biggest thing builders/owners will have to contend with is how to sail these boats and perfect steering to keep the boat going..... it has been a learning curve for us and we are still learning.

TTB, do you know how heavy the spar you used is per foot? That would give a basis for comparing other sticks.

meters is ok I can convert :P , we are still behind the times here.

Ive been watching this thread by the U20 guys trying to get a deal on a carbon spar for them. Apparently, their stick is 30'. I was trying to see if they got a good deal we could piggy back on.

Ive been watching this thread by the U20 guys trying to get a deal on a carbon spar for them. Apparently, their stick is 30'. I was trying to see if they got a good deal we could piggy back on.

I'm not sure how well it will work if we just take 5 feet off of their spar though. That's what got the m20 in trouble because they took of just 2 feet and it was then too stiff. I would love a carbon spar to be doable for the i550.

I'll re-start my email conversation with c-tech and see what they come back with. Maybe with a dozen boats looking for rigs we can put something together specifically for the i550 versus cutting down a u20 or shaw650 rig. Maybe they have 16' skiff rig that we can just use.

I'm also chatting with Andrew about getting a AL rig like his shipped to the US.

More to come I hope...

This is the response I got in the thread:

Well, I have learned a LOT through this process and will happily share the info. I'll condense this into an article for SA once I'm through with it to help other classes through the process. I looked high and low for this info and didn't find much.

C-Tech has been a pleasure to work with. They know carbon and small boats in particular. The big boat guys just laugh at sticks under 40'.

The U20 spar is just over 30' so we're pretty close in size. I think you guys will be a smaller tube size though. Send me the specs on the rig and I'll give you what I got.

spinnaker.sailing@yahoo.com

It couldnt hurt to try all avenues.

Im fine with an AL rig, if it fits the specs (ie. $$$)

Any input on what the (measurement) specs would be to respond to the question above? Other than length, theres nothing required by the rules. I know several different ideas have been kicked around.

Any input on what the (measurement) specs would be to respond to the question above? Other than length, theres nothing required by the rules. I know several different ideas have been kicked around.

The rig specs are...

mast length 305" max.

boom length 108" max.

Jib hoist is 240" max.

J measurement is 89.5 max.

P mesurement is 285" max.

LOA is 18 feet.

Displacement is 800 lb with a 185 lb keel bulb.

The mast is deck stepped.

Mast head kites on a 58" spinnaker pole.

Chain plates are setup for a 30 degree sweep

Lower spreaders would be 48" long.

No back stay

Sail area is limited to rig dimensions.

I would concur that c-tech is the only carbon spar place that has been responsive and/or interested. For instance, I got a 5k price delivered to the US from superspars (who make the viper 640 spars). With 20 boats being built right now and 150 plans out there, I would think we would start to be an interesting class.

Cheers.

The rig specs are...

mast length 305" max.

boom length 108" max.

Jib hoist is 240" max.

J measurement is 89.5 max.

P mesurement is 285" max.

LOA is 18 feet.

Displacement is 800 lb with a 185 lb keel bulb.

The mast is deck stepped.

Mast head kites on a 58" spinnaker pole.

Chain plates are setup for a 30 degree sweep

Lower spreaders would be 48" long.

No back stay

Sail area is limited to rig dimensions.

I would concur that c-tech is the only carbon spar place that has been responsive and/or interested. For instance, I got a 5k price delivered to the US from superspars (who make the viper 640 spars). With 20 boats being built right now and 150 plans out there, I would think we would start to be an interesting class.

Cheers.

I think the class rules say 29' (348") from bottom of the boat.....

No requirements for deck stepped.....

If you want to run backstays, you can.....

btw, I think I am going the Star boat rig route. Find a broken one, cut it, sleeve it, step it,.....

Cheap, Light, Stiff, chose 2.....Flame suit on...

btw, I think I am going the Star boat rig route. Find a broken one, cut it, sleeve it, step it,.....

Hi Rumble Fish,

The rules where changed to control abuse of the total mast length by creating a "post" that the original 305" mast sat upon. Also, to give us a way to measure boats without cabin roofs the 348" measurement is the original 305" + the 43" between the hull bottom panel and the cabin top panel if the boat is built per the plans. We also added a max P measurement of 285" which stops the flat decked boat from lowering the boom more than a cabin boat can.

I'm all for a used rig. I don't see there being a huge number of broken rigs available for salvage and re-use though. We've got 20 boats in need of rigs in the next 6 months as a class. So we need alternatives for those that can't find a suitable used rig. It would be nice if I'm wrong about that. If you come across 2 rigs let me know and I'll take the 2nd one off of your hands.

What's your i550 hull number and where are you located?

Cheers...

p.s. FUNoob. (It had to be done)

Ok, I've been following this thread for some time and I just HAVE to ask: How come nobody is talking about using a hollow spruce mast?

Slartybartfast

Hull no. 151 (awaiting completion of my PaperJet 14)

Hi Rumble Fish,

The rules where changed to control abuse of the total mast length by creating a "post" that the original 305" mast sat upon. Also, to give us a way to measure boats without cabin roofs the 348" measurement is the original 305" + the 43" between the hull bottom panel and the cabin top panel if the boat is built per the plans. We also added a max P measurement of 285" which stops the flat decked boat from lowering the boom more than a cabin boat can.

I'm all for a used rig. I don't see there being a huge number of broken rigs available for salvage and re-use though. We've got 20 boats in need of rigs in the next 6 months as a class. So we need alternatives for those that can't find a suitable used rig. It would be nice if I'm wrong about that. If you come across 2 rigs let me know and I'll take the 2nd one off of your hands.

What's your i550 hull number and where are you located?

Cheers...

p.s. FUNoob. (It had to be done)

Thanks for the love Kmac17, I have not built yet, I am in So Cal, out of ABYC......"Timbo" on the i550 forum ;)

Seems to be a lot of boats getting started in the L.A./O.C area, if anyone needs someone to hold the other end while gluing something give me a yell. Been looking at potentially available masts, know a guy who knows a guy who has a boat salvage yard in Wilmington, I know a Venture 22-2 mast is 25' long, looks like a Dwyer DM-6 section, I think a Cal or Catalina of the same size would have a similar mast. Maybe not as light as it could be, but to get the boat in the water...might be worth a shot, thoughts?

Thanks for the love Kmac17, I have not built yet, I am in So Cal, out of ABYC......"Timbo" on the i550 forum ;)

We'll have to get together the next time I'm out in there. Hopefully that will be in March to shake off some of the winter blues from being in Chicago.

Seems to be a lot of boats getting started in the L.A./O.C area, if anyone needs someone to hold the other end while gluing something give me a yell. Been looking at potentially available masts, know a guy who knows a guy who has a boat salvage yard in Wilmington, I know a Venture 22-2 mast is 25' long, looks like a Dwyer DM-6 section, I think a Cal or Catalina of the same size would have a similar mast. Maybe not as light as it could be, but to get the boat in the water...might be worth a shot, thoughts?

First, yes it would work and if it gets you on the water at the right price then it's awesome. A dwyer DM-6 is a wicked heavy stick though at 1.55 lb's per foot. TTB's mast works out to be about .78 lb's per foot just for reference. I would definitely tell him you are on the look out for a light weight used rig and see what comes along.

Hopefully I'll have some news to share on new rig options that I've come up with. Still sorting out the details and going back and forth with email.

Cheers....

Another one in SoCal, plans for #162 arrived on Saturday.

The more I’ve thought about it, the more I’m liking Andrew’s rig on TTB. ~80mm drawn tube with an attached sail track and built-up tube spreaders.

2150002020094113582vfdQDJ_th.jpg 2882898150094113582pxuHtw_th.jpg

The more I’ve thought about it, the more I’m liking Andrew’s rig on TTB. ~80mm drawn tube with an attached sail track and built-up tube spreaders.

Awesome. Sounds like there will be a So Cal fleet in no time. I might need to put Long Beach Race Week on my 2010 calendar.

For boats that want new rigs, I agree the drawn AL tube with tapered tip could be a good option. I've not gotten much of a response so far looking for someone in the US to do that. It's possible that we might source them from somewhere else and I've got a feeler out on that front.

I've also got a few numbers for a carbon rig from c-tech in NZ. I'll post those detail on the i550.org site when I get them all together. No need to take up SA bandwidth.

Cheers...

The more I've thought about it, the more I'm liking Andrew's rig on TTB. ~80mm drawn tube with an attached sail track and built-up tube spreaders.

Awesome. Sounds like there will be a So Cal fleet in no time. I might need to put Long Beach Race Week on my 2010 calendar.

For boats that want new rigs, I agree the drawn AL tube with tapered tip could be a good option. I've not gotten much of a response so far looking for someone in the US to do that. It's possible that we might source them from somewhere else and I've got a feeler out on that front.

I've also got a few numbers for a carbon rig from c-tech in NZ. I'll post those detail on the i550.org site when I get them all together. No need to take up SA bandwidth.

Cheers...

Thanks Kmac17........

Ok, I've been following this thread for some time and I just HAVE to ask: How come nobody is talking about using a hollow spruce mast?

Slartybartfast

As I wade thru the aluminum and carbon mast offerings I find myself muttering "that's really heavy or that's really pricey". A spruce mast is attractive and can with some thought and planning be a very good spar.

Slartybartfast

As I wade thru the aluminum and carbon mast offerings I find myself muttering "that's really heavy or that's really pricey". A spruce mast is attractive and can with some thought and planning be a very good spar.

except in one case, like TTBs

the 80mm x 1.6mm drawn 6061 alloy option can be lighter than some carbon offerings, and the main component unanodised can be under $ 100 if sourced well back in the supply chain,

yes, in addition you will need to source the tapered 'last metre'

Slartybartfast

except in one case, like TTBs

the 80mm x 1.6mm drawn 6061 alloy option can be lighter than some carbon offerings, and the main component unanodised can be under $ 100 if sourced well back in the supply chain,

yes, in addition you will need to source the tapered 'last metre'

What is the OD of stiff carbon windsurf rigs? Would it fit into the ID of an 80mm tube?

how about alum up to the hounds, then carbon or fiberglass w/taper for the top. kind of like hobi masts.

how about alum up to the hounds, then carbon or fiberglass w/taper for the top. kind of like hobi masts.

nothing new there. skiffs have been using composite tips for years. but a good way to get a bit of weight out of the top and better gust response

Small world. We’re also members @ ABYC.

Small world. We're also members @ ABYC.

Just can't keep away from small boats. The i550 is sort of a Skimmer on Rhoids. Just what the club needs, a another fleet ;)

TC

Small world. We're also members @ ABYC.

Just can't keep away from small boats. The i550 is sort of a Skimmer on Rhoids. Just what the club needs, a another fleet ;)

TC

Someone needs to develop a bacteria that only eats Cal 20's. :)

And on another note;

2008 has been a great year for the growth of the class. Watershed has sold over 100 sets of plans this year and the number of active builders is outstanding. Not all are active on the .org or the blogs but they do keep in touch with us here at Watershed Sailboats. By our count we should see 15 to 18 launches or more in the next six months.

Kmac has done a great job with sourcing a carbon spar design from C-tech in NZ. Check the i550.org for more.

We are anticipating a really good upcoming 2009. My build (#42) is started and I'll push to launch by early summer. After all the first North Americans is planned for August.

This is the PERFECT ANARCHISTS BOAT. The rules are both loose and tight the way we like them. The people are here for fun and every single one of them is someone I'd go sailing with.

TR

My build (#42) is started and I'll push to launch by early summer. After all the first North Americans is planned for August.

TR

speaking of the NA's, we need you to start riding CB to make a decision as to "where."

btw, Lake Dillon is NOT an option! :lol:

How about Heron Lake in New Mexico? It's not at 9,000 feet so you can breath a little easier.

So, CB, where will it be?

I'm hoping that Jeff and I have boats sailing together this summer, either in Madison or here in Chicago. Unless the Aussies beat us to it this winter, it will be the first i550 match up.

I hope CB chimes in soon too.

nothing new there. skiffs have been using composite tips for years. but a good way to get a bit of weight out of the top and better gust response

Remember this takes a bit to get right, too soft a top and say goodbye to any height upwind

Anyone building boats in the Northeast??

I know of a few in the mid-atlantic region. Might need to get on the train...If I have an old 18' skiff rig can I use that?

Has any reached out to Clint @ Forte about a mast?

I know of a few in the mid-atlantic region. Might need to get on the train...If I have an old 18' skiff rig can I use that?

Rhode Island, New York and Maryland are 3 builds that I know of in the north east. Or is Maryland in the mid-atlantic?. I've seen pictures of the Maryland one. The rhode island builder posts on the class web site and has built several other boats.

A 18' skiff rig should work just fine. We are discussing a change to the rule to use contrasting bands to establish the max rig dimensions (jib hoist, main hoist) so that used rigs can be utilized without tons of alterations. That should allow folks to get out and sailing faster and easier.

Initial contact and quotes from Forte were astronomically expensive. $2500 just for the the spar as I recall. Don't know who the contact was. Chris B had posted that info moons ago. I'm looking at $2ish grand for a complete rig (mast/boom/spreaders/masthead/maststep) from c-tech in NZ.

Cheers.

We may have a 18 foot skiff mast/sails in perfect shape for you. We have an extra carbon Rudder as well.

Not sure if this would fit, but I have an aluminum Viper 640 mast @ home in Austin, TX, which I'm not using since my Viper has been upgraded to the current Carbon mast.

The mast is a Proctor #3525 extrusion, tapered tip, sleeved (very stong mast!), 29.5 feet tall. Cut 4.5 feet off the bottom, and you could have an i550 spar?

I have two sets of spreaders & shrouds that go with the mast.

Anyone who might want to come to Austin to pick it up for an i550 project, PM me... I'm ready to part with it cheap!

Cheers,

F.

Not sure if this would fit, but I have an aluminum Viper 640 mast @ home in Austin, TX, which I'm not using since my Viper has been upgraded to the current Carbon mast.

The mast is a Proctor #3525 extrusion, tapered tip, sleeved (very stong mast!), 29.5 feet tall. Cut 4.5 feet off the bottom, and you could have an i550 spar?

Anyone who might want to come to Austin to pick it up for an i550 project, PM me... I'm ready to part with it cheap!

Cheers,

F.

Cheers,

F.

I thought the rigs were bigger than that. You can still cut off the bottom of an old 18 #1 or #2 mast and have a pretty nice rig.

I thought the rigs were bigger than that. You can still cut off the bottom of an old 18 #1 or #2 mast and have a pretty nice rig.

I think an old 18 rig probably would work just fine. The trick is finding them where the boats are being build. Shipping a rig is not cheap. I would have gone that route if it was closer.

I think the viper 640 rig would also work, although it will be on the heavy side. There's a i550 builder in Houston. PM if you want to contact him.

We have a deal going for new carbon rigs from C-tech in NZ that are based on their 18' #1 mast. Depending on exchange rate a complete rig is delivered is $2200 right now.

Kmac has done an incredible job sorting this spar/boom/spreader information out. Thank you.

The $2,200 delivered for a carbon spar ? This may get a few more couch potatoes into their garages. grin.

We have just got the order for plan set #170 this morning from Valencia, Spain. I'm thinking that Ernesto B. and Larry E. should get in a pair of i550's and sail a best of 100 match. At least that would shut them up for a while.

We are still awaiting an order from Antarctica to complete our conquest of all the continents. Nudge,nudge. The next hull # is a pallindrome after all.

came across this thread awhile ago - what cool concept - I hope it really catches on. messed about with some designs - because of the chines, boat is easy to draw up in google sketchup

post-6923-1232663109_thumb.jpg

post-6923-1232663126_thumb.jpg

post-6923-1232663137_thumb.jpg

Self tacking jib, and a kite snuffer? Nice.

Just a few thoughts...

Not sure you would be happy with the size kite that will fit in the chute. Especially against TTB with a 55sm kite up.

The dual rudders look cool but there really isn't enough beam at the waterline to warrant the added drag they bring to the table. If you were heeled enough to get the windward rudder out of the water you would be on your ear about to take a swim.

Also, the keel is pretty far aft already, so you would be better to put some of the keel bulb in front of the keel. There is a very nice torpedo design floating around.

Buy some plans and join the fun. The more the merrier as they say.

Looks like you were thinking open5.70 from the long traveler setup. I don't think any of the current builders are planning on that kind of setup. Personally I'm going for a bridle to keep things simple.

Cheers.

After watching this little project for a while, I've jumped in with both feet. Another SoCal plan set coming soon to ABYC. Now I just have to figure how to juggle the Etchells, MummFarrker & Viper programs I do.... :blink:

After watching this little project for a while, I've jumped in with both feet. Another SoCal plan set coming soon to ABYC. Now I just have to figure how to juggle the Etchells, MummFarrker & Viper programs I do.... :blink:

That makes three sets of plans to ABYC members.

That makes three sets of plans to ABYC members.

Who's gonna be first? I'll be down Sunday for the bash in the bay...

Excellent. Welcome to the gang. Don't worry about all those other boats and programs. You are one of us now. Just drink the Koolaid. Everything will be fine.

:-)

Excellent. Welcome to the gang. Don't worry about all those other boats and programs. You are one of us now. Just drink the Koolaid. Everything will be fine.

:-)

No worries, I drank a lot of the Koolaid in the 70"5.......the world never looked the same again :P

Talking about drinking ...... Are the Chi Town i550 cultists going to challenge the other drinkers after the Strictly Sail Chicago show at that Bar which has (foolishly) invited the Anarchists at 9 p.m.?

Sending out plan set #182

This just in...

Carbon rigs (mast, spreaders, boom, retracting prod with sleeve, gooseneck) for about $2500.

Complete sail package (Aramid tri-radial cut main and jib + a-sail). for $3150 plus shipping.

Get them while they are hot. Kevin.

That looks awesome, nice color. That's quite a lot of bend in the upper mast too, I assume that's the carbon one? Is this a long cockpit version?

Super cool boat. Anarchy to the max.

That looks awesome, nice color. That's quite a lot of bend in the upper mast too, I assume that's the carbon one? Is this a long cockpit version?

Super cool boat. Anarchy to the max.

Yes, long cockpit version.

The rig is off of a 49er and they are using 49er sails initially too.

Kevin.

word, the long cockpit is cool, but the cabin top looks kind of strange that small... that's a tradeoff that i'd be willing to accept though. Can't wait to see more of these 550's hit the water. Jealous.

Just felt like putting a couple pix up. It was almost 80 here (mid-Alantic) and some work was done on hull #87. Still have a ways to go til it looks like the green boat, that's for sure. ;)

post-1770-1236561291_thumb.jpg post-1770-1236561494_thumb.jpg

Every time I rip out one of those zip-ties I feel like I'm slowly getting somewhere.

But I'm psyched in that, a week ago, I was trying to knock the snow off so that the cover-structure wouldn't collapse!

We are nearing the next Pallindrome. Presently poised near the brink of plan set #190.

And for those who do not know what one is it has nothing to do with Alaskan governors. or airplanes for that matter. Best luck on getting this gem of distinction.

but everyone REALLY liked the reference

A while back there was some talk of an Australian kit being made available? Has that stalled? I'd love to build one but starting from scratch is likely to take me too long (and probably result in an un-straight boat!) so a kit would be the only way for me to get going. Unless of course there was someone in Australia interested in building hulls to some stage of completion (in a manner compliant with the design owners wishes)...

A while back there was some talk of an Australian kit being made available? Has that stalled? I'd love to build one but starting from scratch is likely to take me too long (and probably result in an un-straight boat!) so a kit would be the only way for me to get going. Unless of course there was someone in Australia interested in building hulls to some stage of completion (in a manner compliant with the design owners wishes)...

nah, things have stalled there. lofting and cutting is a weekend job anyway. two people one marking and the other double checking and cutting will take you a weekend. no worries with plenty of time to drink beer!

nah, things have stalled there. lofting and cutting is a weekend job anyway. two people one marking and the other double checking and cutting will take you a weekend. no worries with plenty of time to drink beer!

Stalled??? Actually we do have something promising in the works. We will let Y'all know as soon as we put everything in place.

T

222 well on it's way. Wanted to define and shape the stem first. Adding the breast hook stiffened the hull right up. Tim R's suggestion to use the dowels made indexing the panels a breeze. The frames are for the short cabin version, I decided to go flush deck. The hull is all i550 and will measure at all points without exploiting the rules. Tooling some carbon parts, prod, 2.5 ft removable sprit for PHRF, and "other" parts. Working on a composite stem to ease construction. If the stem is off at all, it changes the boat everywhere it seemed. The new stems will be class legal, indexed flange to accept panels and offer options for sprits and prods. Carbon or glass, but only in epoxy.The stem may be as long as 2ft and include the deck, not certain about the details, but no more dealing with a twisted stem.

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

Once glued, the new frames go in get bonded and the boat can be rolled over and skinned. I like the 10 ft Okoume, the stuff is so nice to work with. The boat is fun to build, once you get past the bs that follows life and dealing with humans.

So far the stem is the only bonded part, hope to get the hull glued and "tacked" today. Will remove the ties and dowels tomorrow and complete the tabbing. There is no way in HELL I am going to laminate over the ties!

I love the catfish look of the whisker ties.

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

So far the stem is the only bonded part, hope to get the hull glued and "tacked" today. Will remove the ties and dowels tomorrow and complete the tabbing. There is no way in HELL I am going to laminate over the ties!

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

I had to join in on the SA forum. Looking good PRoss. It is a real good feeling when you get parts put together and things start to look a boat. Looking forward to seeing more as your build progresses.

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

I had to join in on the SA forum. Looking good PRoss. It is a real good feeling when you get parts put together and things start to look a boat. Looking forward to seeing more as your build progresses.

Pedro Ross....looking phat !

Still playing loto..hoping to send you the check..

Cheers!

Breasthook is sweet. Crisp build P.

Thanks for the kind words, decided to remove the breasthook and tweak the bow a bit more. It also made it difficult to tab the forward section and the grain was in the wrong direction. Should have glued two pieces of wood on a bias but don't want to go traditional but truthfully I was lazy and went for the easy fit. So, decided to take advantage of the lighter Okoume and toss some black stuff at the boat.

Matt, you gonna need more lotto tickets! Might end up painting this boat black, using clear coat only..............

Need a new bulkhead to end fore deck at 84 or 85, to allow the mast step to sit in the cockpit on an extremely lowered 89.

IMG_0372.jpg