...I see 'Tokyo' on line....any perspective to add for highwind 550'ing?? ;)

Just send it! :-)

....HAH,,,,that's really what it's all about isn't it!.....was hoping to hear some details of your set-up :mellow:

....I tend to associate sailing in OZ as sailing in -real- breezes,,,am curious about the mast inverting you mentioned,,,,what sort of MAX-winds you might have sailed in,,,,and any observations relating to the bow-pitching and bow-steer effects I've felt the few times I've been in the 20's with these---am wondering how these effects will be in the 30's and beyond,,vertical puffs :huh:

...ohhh,,Tokyo,,,,father of all 550 sailors,,,,join us now,,,,,,,share your wisdom!! :)

sheet the main on down wind keeps the bow up a bit. Rake is your friend with breeze.

..ahh,well....I guess it'll be a bit longer before east meets west!....'ave fun at the U20's ;)

But Surfer Dude, there has been an east coast builder that has sailed a Portland Mafia boat. There is also another Gulf > SE > NE > SW I550 that has sailed on both the Atlantic and Pacific. Don't they count?

Hopefully that U20 makes it to CRW next year. Just 300 days.

....^^...aww,mannn,,,of course those guys count,,,,not up on my history!.........hope I di'nt 'fend n'body! :huh: :huh:

......just wish the geography of this great land di'nt include so many 000's in distances! :mellow:

Emerald Cup Regatta is this weekend on Fern Ridge Reservoir in Eugene, OR. Five i550s again confirmed for the event.

For those quietly building in Eugene or interested in the boat, come say hi at the Richardson camp ground. Boats will be arriving this afternoon and tonight.

Gladiator, Where is this Eugene boat today?

i550-244.jpg

Probably same place as in that photo... The build seems to have stalled, but hopefully our fleet of five will rejuvenate the interest.

As for Emerald Cup... Amazing regatta in a super fun venue with an unbelievably hospitable group of people. Tons and tons of interest in the boat!! Lots of photo taking... Lots of chatter... Lots of jaw dropping smoking hot planning runs right by the local keel boaters.

After 6 races with one throw out 1st, 2nd, & 3rd finished with 10, 11, & 12 points respectively. All of the racing was very tight with boats finishing within seconds of one another. The old men of the gang secured third on Licitly Split, we sailed very consistently to second on Poker Face with four 2nd finishes, and the kids from Camas took first on Its Whatever.

Conditions were a bit sporty on Saturday with some rain squals blowing through with gusts into the mid and upper 20s, followed by lighter breeze and residual chop. One boat suffered a cassette failure in a big wipeout during race #3, but was able to sail back to the marina without her rudder rather effectively; an evening road trip to Portland and the boat was back in business with a new cassette on Sunday but even with 2 bullets on Saturday could not overcome the DNF and DNC after the failure.

The fleet also had a couple wipeouts this weekend; one swimmer who hung onto a line and pulled himself back on board... Kite never came down and the boat was back on her feet and off like bandit before the rescue boat could get to her... Impressive! The second wipeout may be the best argument for a carbon rig... Boat with a heavy tin rig went over and stayed over. Helmsman did a little keel dance before the boat popped back up. Not sure why the crash was so dramatic, but the general consensus was that the righting moment was diminished by the rig weight. Never will know for sure, but it seems plausible as none of the carbon rig boats have stayed over quite like that in similar conditions.

Sunday was a waiting game for the breeze. It filled in nicely and two races went off before it died out.

Photos and videos soon!

I am interested to find out if the boat that went over was a Portland cabin less model, or was it built with a cabin on deck as the original design. How heavy is a heavy tin rig? I may go tungsten on my bulb, lol

I am interested to find out if the boat that went over was a Portland cabin less model, or was it built with a cabin on deck as the original design. How heavy is a heavy tin rig? I may go tungsten on my bulb, lol

....that would be a P'land deck,,,I've got the only cabin boat out here these days.

...I'd downplay the concern on masts...I'm flying a tin rig,,minimum keel weight......the only time I've seen any hesitation to pop-up is when the main was sheeted in.

......just keep the boat under the rig! ;)

....that would be a P'land deck,,,I've got the only cabin boat out here these days.

...I'd downplay the concern on masts...I'm flying a tin rig,,minimum keel weight......the only time I've seen any hesitation to pop-up is when the main was sheeted in.

Your not supposed to sail it on its side like this??????,,,,, just kiddin,,,,, I got the boat flipped over today.

post-100257-0-45244100-1404696253_thumb.jpg

Your not supposed to sail it on its side like this??????,,,,, just kiddin,,,,, I got the boat flipped over today.
Good on you! Great to see the progress... Bigger question... When you're done are you going to travel to race in the NW? Or Midwest? Or both?

As for the boat with a tin rig that went over and stayed over... Honey could give more info, but my memory is that the rig is VERY robust and heavy (it takes 2-3 to set up the boat) and the main was full of water once she went down. So there was a lot of weight to bring up.

Good on you! Great to see the progress... Bigger question... When you're done are you going to travel to race in the NW? Or Midwest? Or both?

As for the boat with a tin rig that went over and stayed over... Honey could give more info, but my memory is that the rig is VERY robust and heavy (it takes 2-3 to set up the boat) and the main was full of water once she went down. So there was a lot of weight to bring up.

I would like to hear more about the boat that stayed down, I am going with an aluminum viper rig to start with, and would appreciate anyones info/advice on the setup. Now onto the bigger question,,,, I will definitely be out to the Northwest to play, I will probably put in a season here locally to get the bugs ironed out, then want to do some traveling,,, right now I am planning Northwest first, and then some midwest after that. I will also put out the invite here,,, the Dillon Open is a popular local regatta.

latest shot of monsters inc.post-62227-0-59490300-1405386457_thumb.jpg

It looks like two i550s are in a full page photo in the August SAIL magazine. It is on page 46 in an article is on the Everglade Challenge. The photo is at dawn and is a bit dark, but that is Hot Canary and #129 is behind her.

Cheers to i550-129 & i550-281

post-22850-0-65958300-1405741359_thumb.png

latest shot of monsters inc.attachicon.gifIMG_0732.JPG

Looking really good Mike,,,, sure is a lot of fun building your own boat,,,, until the longboard comes out that is....

....yeh,,that's looking great Mike......nice jig work--I'm pretty sure time spent setting the framing first will reduce the fairing time accordingly,,and also make a lighter product ;)

...can't wait till the day that 3 Mike's are racing from BC! :lol:

...Yale Lake regatta,,southern washington..Aug 9/10..hosted by Willimette sailing club.......for a second year the i550's have raced at this event...wouldn't be surprised if it became a fixture on the circuit...definitely the classic camp-out regatta is a plus,with most all the fleet camping at one site.

...a last minute 'honey-do' list or two caused a bigger than 5 boat fleet to continue to allude us,,,,, but the racing continues to be a lot closer than the winner's scoreline suggests--the 5 boats were all close throughout,,with a poorly timed 'sneeze' easily causing a 3 boat shift in positions.....

....... dyspeurunia started a roll up the scoreboard on sunday,,,,,only to have races end early after the RC went swimming,,,lost his watch! .....one of those beauties of the B circuit :mellow::lol:

i550 Sail Boat Skipper Yacht Club

263 licketysplit David Hickman RCYC/VLSC .... 1 1 1 1 [3] 1 2 7

269 Poker Face eric rimkus RCYC/CYC/VLSC 3 2 2 2 1 3 [5] 13

131 dyspeurunia Michael France JSC .............. 2 4 4 [5] 4 2 1 17

250 Boxed Wine Lockwood Brian CYC .............. 4 3 3 3 2 [ DNF] 3 18

472 Honey Matthew Steverson na ....................[5] 5 5 4 5 4 4 27

Those results are a bit suspect, but it only changes our gap with 1st by 2 points... I thought it was going to be much closer with "dyspeurunia" after our dismal showing on Sunday! Hickman definitely dominated this event! And what a great bit of fun the gang had at the group camp and around the fire with guests and kids and crusty racers--all what racing fun boats is supposed to be about.

So that makes 4 events in the NW (Olympia in Budd Inlet, Eugene at Fern Ridge, Vancouver Lake & Yale Lake) with 5 boats and a 5th event (Portland on the Columbia) with 3 boats. Still have September and October for regattas with 6+ and with new owners likely joining the fun soon we should be set for bigger numbers showing at events!

.........I thought it was going to be much closer with "dyspeurunia" after our dismal showing on Sunday! .........

......it's good you and I were playing fumble-face on different days--things might have gotten ugly otherwise! :mellow:

...........and you're darn lucky the RC lost their watch! <_<

latest shot of monsters inc.attachicon.gifIMG_0732.JPG

Looking really good Mike,,,, sure is a lot of fun building your own boat,,,, until the longboard comes out that is....

....yeh,,that's looking great Mike......nice jig work--I'm pretty sure time spent setting the framing first will reduce the fairing time accordingly,,and also make a lighter product ;)

...can't wait till the day that 3 Mike's are racing from BC! :lol:

....ahh,,here's the -ultimate- in frame-builds.........big question--does time building the jig reduce the time/frustration/weight of fairing??? :huh:

http://albanyi550.blogspot.com.au/

.........I thought it was going to be much closer with "dyspeurunia" after our dismal showing on Sunday! .........

......it's good you and I were playing fumble-face on different days--things might have gotten ugly otherwise! :mellow:

...........and you're darn lucky the RC lost their watch! <_<

I just don't think I was up for 3-5 knots and 90 degrees on sunday... That first race Sunday was PAINFUL... the second was worse!

I've got to edit some video from Fern Ridge and from Yale Lake one of these days and get it posted...

I just don't think I was up for 3-5 knots and 90 degrees on sunday... That first race Sunday was PAINFUL... the second was worse!

....you're right ...saturday's 4-6knots was soooo much better :lol:

Calling all North West i550's,,,, I bought my ticket today to come out and race with you guys @ Bellingham, Sept 20/21,,,, lets get a few boats there,,, show us out of state guys why we should tow our boats 1/2 way across the country, to come out and play with the biggest i550 fleet...... Lets get a boat count before it's too late to get a refund on my plane ticket.

PS: I can't wait to get out there and have a few beers and talk boats.

Calling all North West i550's,,,, I bought my ticket today to come out and race with you guys @ Bellingham, Sept 20/21,,,, lets get a few boats there,,, show us out of state guys why we should tow our boats 1/2 way across the country, to come out and play with the biggest i550 fleet...... Lets get a boat count before it's too late to get a refund on my plane ticket.

PS: I can't wait to get out there and have a few beers and talk boats.

...not sure if you'll get much response from NW i550's,,,I'm yet to be proven wrong,but I don't believe many of them read or write,,,at least they build boats and sail! ;)

...there's 4 commitments so far-hopefully that grows,,,but enough to show you some good 550 action.

... as for why to ...'' tow our boats 1/2 way across the country''?...because as you say....''play with the biggest i550 fleet.'' :)

could someone post up the bellingham link?

the curse of working falls on that weekend. i will keep trying though. raced maple bay regatta aboard a melges 24, good fun . Gladiators old boat , the cheetah 30 was on hand . new owners seem nice enough. Saw ( and beat ) a left coast Dart there as well. Very cool looking boat. good sailing every one.

the curse of working falls on that weekend. i will keep trying though. raced maple bay regatta aboard a melges 24, good fun . Gladiators old boat , the cheetah 30 was on hand . new owners seem nice enough. Saw ( and beat ) a left coast Dart there as well. Very cool looking boat. good sailing every one.

Put work aside and lets get out on the water, the work will be there when you get back,,,,, guaranteed.

You beat a Dart?!

Damn, that makes me sad..

-jim lee

You beat a Dart?!

-jim lee

.... at least he was sailing a melges 24 :rolleyes::P

You beat a Dart?!

-jim lee

So then.. No fluffy cushions?

-jim lee

You beat a Dart?!

-jim lee

So then.. No fluffy cushions?

-jim lee

.....yeh,Jim,,,,I guess that's one of the trade-offs in boat choices.........cushions or pickle-dishes ;)

...i550's met in Bellingham washington last weekend,,,a smaller fleet,,,but each boat had at least one regatta win this year,,making it our first 'champion-of-champions' regatta! It was great to open up a new event for the i550's alongside ~100 dinghies...the most common question was 'wow--what are those!?'

Much to the relief of team Lockwood,,,racing was contained to saturday only, with no breeze sunday,,,giving no chance for team Couchsurfer to make it's customary sunday-upsurge. As is often the case,,boats placed according to the crew's time together.

It was great that Colorado's MarkS,,known as 'i550Sailor' on SA to make the trip west...it's looking like he'll be something of a bridge between east and west in this big continent with his soon completed boat!

Lockwood,BrianCYC 1-1-1-2-1....4
Steiber,France ..........2-3-2-1-3....8
Moran,Stephen .........3-2-3-3-2....10

jim lee I am only one lotto win away from buying a dart! Now back to building hull 239 I550 Monsters Inc

Congrats to all in the Bellingham regatta and to I550 sailor for splashing another boat

Not quite splashed, almost done fairing, then have a little more keel box work to do. I am planning to splash March/May as soon as our lakes ice off.

great time in Bellingham. I wrote a small report on it on the owners site. How is your progress?

Hi there everyone,

does anyone have any links to pics of the Bellingham event?

....there was an event photographer,,,was actually in the water at some marks taking fun pics,,,but nothing much came up for the 550's

........maybe 'i550guy' will share some closeups he took ;)

Hi there everyone,

....there was an event photographer,,,was actually in the water at some marks taking fun pics,,,but nothing much came up for the 550's

Most of my photos were from in the parking lot, on a spy mission to see how I want to rig my boat.

post-100257-0-41544600-1412130453_thumb.jpg

post-100257-0-86979800-1412130472_thumb.jpg

Looks like you were introduced to the "learn to sail in light air" Bellingham Fall conditions. Lived there for 10 years in the eighties and 90's

Looks like you were introduced to the "learn to sail in light air" Bellingham Fall conditions. Lived there for 10 years in the eighties and 90's

Saturday was good air 7-12,,,, then Sunday,,, not so good,,,,, sat out there and bobbed around until they canceled the race.

Fun boat though, fast, and will be so easy to trailer, set up and launch on our mountain lakes.

Hi there everyone,

post-100257-0-66767700-1412739005_thumb.jpg

post-100257-0-61512600-1412739024_thumb.jpg

post-100257-0-40716900-1412739073_thumb.jpg

.....arrr,DARN...it's looking like Bellingham was my last i550 event ,,I've had an on/off issue with arthritic knees for the past few years,with a chunk of bone floating around,,,,but now it's both hips and knees and thumbs,,,and the aggravation I got 2 1/2 weeks ago leaves me still barely able to walk :( ........sure there's therapy to be had,,and I'll find a new balance and strength in a couple of years after surgery's happened,,,but methinks that new balance won't include sailing the 550...a hiking sportboat puts a fair bit of load on the knees,,and as a competitive dinghy racer there's no way I'll be able to modify that behavior in the heat of the moment,sooooo..........

.....Carbon Offset is for sale in the NW for a very good price

...this is an excellent for you to have a turn-key entry into the growing NW fleet. Sure it's the 'cobbled boat' of the fleet,,but it's also proven itself to be equally competitive to the rest of the group ;)

................... if you're interested,,drop me a pm

post-3217-0-96816700-1399271442_thumb.jppost-3217-0-66621500-1399267847.jpg

post-3217-0-81527900-1402597787_thumb.jppost-3217-0-50329800-1402597775_thumb.jp

hmm , any chance you can sell to a canuck? Technically i am closer to Anacortes than Vancouver, but still a Canadian fleet would be cool...hope the bones get "heeled up" soon.

hmm , any chance you can sell to a canuck? Technically i am closer to Anacortes than Vancouver, but still a Canadian fleet would be cool...hope the bones get "heeled up" soon.

......hey 'monster'--you're in the NW....I'd have no problem selling to you ;) ....or any other canadians or throughout the NW............or to the rockies,,or as far as sacramento where the boat was born :rolleyes:

.... by removing the more taxing lifestyle aspects on my knees...I hope,expect with time I'll be able to be reasonably mobile in a reasonably pain-free way,,maybe still be able to sail my other boat or at least a non-hiking leadmine :mellow:

hmmmm.....sorry to hear about your health and hoping for a quick recovery.

maybe we talk about bringing her back home to Sac???

Well there is a boat in Richmond that's damn close to launching... but its one of those class "illegal" boats with no cabin...

On the other hand the left coast is pretty much dominated by the boats that were built to be raced and not used as a floating Whine-a-bego!!

Looks like we might need to make sure that there is a bay area event on the i550 calendar in 2015... Delta Ditch as a OD fleet anyone??

Oh and Couch... wash the sand out of your vagina!! You're just tired of getting beaten by a fat old guy and his wife!! Yeah... we still love you and will miss you in this great fleet!

....it'd be a fun full-circle for the greenboat if it ends up back in your hands Ben ,,,and a nice expansion of the NW into a westcoast fleet...let me know if you're serious,,,I might even include delivery ;)

....and trust the fuckometer to finally be up for some trashtalk--kick me now I'm down! <_<

. .......last I heard,,yer escaped in a Bene-weigo :lol:

Is contact info for the Richmond boat available??

We just did our maiden voyage yesterday out of Richmond Marina Bay. Had a minor issue with the rotating mast ball, but nothing serious. Winds were light, but the boat sails well. You can see a few photos here.

....^^...wow,,Lee,,stealthbuild indeed,,,,congratulations on the 'splash'

.....the rotating mast sounds interesting,,certainly makes for a different rig configuration ;)

It Swims!
posted by leeholl on Sun, 10/19/2014 - 16:17

Been away from this blog for ages (sorry for all the missing build pics). After a year of doing nothing towards finishing the boat, we finally got our i550 finished in the past two months and hit the San Fancisco Bay yesterday. Few teething issues, but nothing serious. Light winds, but we were still the fastest boat out on the water. Handles beautifully and the rotating mast is a real winner.

IMG_2129.JPG

Thanks for the feedback! One of the reasons I chose to build an i550 was because of the openness of the design, and the allowance to experiment with a lot of parameters outside the basic i550 NA class rules. I stopped the cabin at frame 89.5" so I could step the mast on the deck, do the rotating rig and get the vang at a decent angle. It also allows us to get more weight forward if needed. I also lowered the deck by 2" to get more room under the boom. Looking forward to ironing out the rig and getting some sailing in.

....I hope the mast will be allright with it's un-supported length above the shrouds for carrying masthead chute in SF...it'll be interesting to see! ;)

....I hope the mast will be allright with it's un-supported length above the shrouds for carrying masthead chute in SF...it'll be interesting to see! ;)

I had similar concerns when sourcing the mast section, but in talking with the guys at CST Composites was convinced it would be okay. They also added some reinforcing around the mast hound. Time and wind will tell B) Pretty expensive mistake if it fails!

That could be true! And what a great 4 weeks of escape it was.

Time to start planning the 2015 OD class circuit!!

With Lee's boat in the mix I guess a Bay Area event will need to go on the calendar... Delta Ditch anyone? We just need 5 boats.

....I hope the mast will be allright with it's un-supported length above the shrouds for carrying masthead chute in SF...it'll be interesting to see!

I had similar concerns when sourcing the mast section, but in talking with the guys at CST Composites was convinced it would be okay. They also added some reinforcing around the mast hound. Time and wind will tell B) Pretty expensive mistake if it fails!

.....sounds like you did your homework,,,should be great! ;)

With Lee's boat in the mix I guess a Bay Area event will need to go on the calendar... Delta Ditch anyone? We just need 5 boats.

......looks like a couple more reasons for Ben to work hard smart :rolleyes::P

Lee,

Your boat looks very well done. What type of paint did you use? Roll or spray?.

Keep us updated on here how the rotating mast works for you.

Lee,

Your boat looks very well done. What type of paint did you use? Roll or spray?.

Keep us updated on here how the rotating mast works for you.

Mark, I used Interlux. Epoxy Primekote for undercoat. Brightside for the blue sides. Perfection for the white deck (with non-skid for walking/seating surfaces). Perfection for the black deck with a flattening agent to give it a matt finish, again with non-skid). VC Performance epoxy below the waterline. The sides and bottom were sprayed. You cannot spray Perfection without the professional gear, so I did roller and brush tip where I used that. I originally planned to use perfection for the blue sides, but could not get a roller/tip finish I was happy with, so sanded it back and restarted with Brightside. Painting was by far the most frustrating part of the build for me, so many variables with rollers, brushes and spray gear - probably sanded off as much paint as I put back on. I am sure the Interlux guys got sick of my questions and complaints ;)

The rotating mast is something I am anxious to validate as a reasonable design choice. Will keep you posted.

I am sure the Interlux guys got sick of my questions and complaints ;)

....it's how they make their money,,,like French's Mustard makes it's $ from what's left on the plate,,,the Interlux folks make it by what's lost in overspray or sanded off :mellow:

Delta Ditch looks like a lot of fun... count me in.

.....I don't know about 'Delta',,but I sure am ditched..........knee specialist said I don't have cartlidge to scrape in my knee joints...it's looking like 2x joint replacement. No wonder I was bitchin every time we tacked in Bellingham :mellow::(

.....I don't know about 'Delta',,but I sure am ditched..........knee specialist said I don't have cartlidge to scrape in my knee joints...it's looking like 2x joint replacement. No wonder I was bitchin every time we tacked in Bellingham :mellow::(

Yep,,, I knew a tack was coming by the sound of a groan coming from the back of the boat :o . Get those knees fixed, and if you still have the boat I could crew on next years. then the year after,,,, the Ditch run is high on my list for my boat.

Yep,,, I knew a tack was coming by the sound of a groan coming from the back of the boat :o . Get those knees fixed, and if you still have the boat I could crew on next years. then the year after,,,, the Ditch run is high on my list for my boat.

.....it feels like quite a tunnel I have to work through over the next couple of years,,,don't expect I'll have a hiking sportboat at the end......I really suggest people do some muscle-toning in off-season and avoid dinghy-style body-torquing in boats 10x dinghy-weights.........HANG----DON'T power-HIKE!!....something I doubt being able to get out of my DNA in the heat of a race :huh:

....looks like I've got the right username for the next couple of years :(

.....it feels like quite a tunnel I have to work through over the next couple of years,,,don't expect I'll have a hiking sportboat at the end......I really suggest people do some muscle-toning in off-season and avoid dinghy-style body-torquing in boats 10x dinghy-weights.........HANG----DON'T power-HIKE!!....something I doubt being able to get out of my DNA in the heat of a race :huh:

....looks like I've got the right username for the next couple of years :(

What a bummer. Sorry I missed racing against you. Get well.

What a bummer. Sorry I missed racing against you. Get well.

....you'll have fun hammering the portland mafia,,

,,,and who knows?....Ben could make the scene again**

....new knees are sounding pretty good,except the wait time....I'm told they'd cost $40G a shot in the US :o

...it'll be 2 years before I can do -any- hiking...maybe I'll make it back to 550's,,,but it'd be my own build if I do.

. **.....if he works hard,,and the wife says yes

Took our i550 out again on Sunday, the winds were very mild, so it was somewhat boring except for a few decent gusts. Was good to get the spinnaker up and iron out more learning issues with the way we have the boat rigged. Unfortunately not enough wind to plane.

Was wondering what the highest consistent wind speed anyone has sailed an i550 in? We found that even with 8-10 knot gusts, they sure have a tendency to heel and sit on that chine.

Close hauled when we had one exceptionally strong gust, we kept her almost dead flat with a lot of hiking, and I felt a mild vibration through the boat. Afterwards I was wondering if it was the keel vibrating. Anyone experience anything like that?

Totally class illegal, but made me wonder again about using trapeze on one of these boats, which is very doable with my rotating rig. Craziness or worth a shot?

Took our i550 out again on Sunday, the winds were very mild, so it was somewhat boring except for a few decent gusts. Was good to get the spinnaker up and iron out more learning issues with the way we have the boat rigged. Unfortunately not enough wind to plane.

Was wondering what the highest consistent wind speed anyone has sailed an i550 in? We found that even with 8-10 knot gusts, they sure have a tendency to heel and sit on that chine.

Close hauled when we had one exceptionally strong gust, we kept her almost dead flat with a lot of hiking, and I felt a mild vibration through the boat. Afterwards I was wondering if it was the keel vibrating. Anyone experience anything like that?

Totally class illegal, but made me wonder again about using trapeze on one of these boats, which is very doable with my rotating rig. Craziness or worth a shot?

...hi Lee,,,glad things are progressing.....I'd say wind through the 20's hasn't been common in fleet racing in the NW,,but we've all sailed it forsure. I've found that upwind, sailing seems to go best chine-in at ~15-20 degree heel....hike to the degree that's 'comfortable',,then ease traveller in the puffs to maintain feel......react to a puff when it hits your face,,-before- the boat is effected.

...keel vibration can certainly be a possibility...any misalignment can cause it,,or even some minor shaping issues,,or a sguared trailing edge.....you can....... A --spend a lot of time working on this detail...or B--go sailing,,and call it ''the sound of fast''.

. ....I'd choose 'B' ;)

We've sailed in 20-25 gusting to 30-35 and the boat is a handful! Less precision sailing and more trying not to break gear and people and keep the boat under control. I have found 12-15 knots to be quite enjoyable and the boat performs well.

Keel or rudder vibration. We could always tell when we hit 12 knots in the Cheetah because the keel would "hum"... It would stop around 14 knots. We have the same vibration in the keel at speeds over 8 knots in the i550. Any slight imperfection in the alignment or the trailing edge is going to be amplified (vibration and sound wise) by the keel box. I wouldn't worry about it... Just a sign you're going fast!

Traps would be cool for the boat, but my crew isn't going to use them so I won't be putting them on. But you're right they would be a huge help in 15+ to keep the boat flat and going forward instead of on its chine and going sideways.

Wow, 30-35 knot gusts must have been a handful.

The trailing end of the keel is not square. I didn't do the alternating "rounding" like the you did Eric, but we have a one sided rounding like #8 in this table (or maybe #7 worst case). Will have to do some more sailing in various winds to see if it is repeatable/predictable.

We've still got our harnesses from our beach cat days, so I might rig up a couple of traps and see what it is like.

Wow, 30-35 knot gusts must have been a handful.

The trailing end of the keel is not square. I didn't do the alternating "rounding" like the you did Eric, but we have a one sided rounding like #8 in this table (or maybe #7 worst case). Will have to do some more sailing in various winds to see if it is repeatable/predictable.

We've still got our harnesses from our beach cat days, so I might rig up a couple of traps and see what it is like.

....I've been wondering what it'd be like to attach those harnesses to the centreline--sorta like star harnesses

....I've been wondering what it'd be like to attach those harnesses to the centreline--sorta like star harnesses

That might work, though it looks like it still puts a lot of stress on the thighs. I guess you could adjust it so it is not as extreme as hiking in a star.

That might work, though it looks like it still puts a lot of stress on the thighs. I guess you could adjust it so it is not as extreme as hiking in a star.

......I wasn't thinking so much of a star's droop-hike as something that lends support alongside using the hiking straps. A harness from centreline would restrict one's ability to power-hike somewhat--take some stress off the knees...........not a bad idea on a boat 5x a sailor's weight.,ask me how I know! :mellow:

....you'd want a snap-shackle connection for quick-release.

....weight-wise,,,,I'd say 550's are good with two sailors to 15-18 knots,,,a 3rd sailor beyond that....your traveller & sheeting should do the rest

Went out again on Sunday, 5-7 knots with gusts to around 10. These boats really like to dig in and sit on that chine and IMHO they could definitely do better with traps, so I am ordering some wires to try it out. I also need to get that outboard into the cabin.

IMG_7210.JPG

IMG_7290.JPG

Does anyone know if i550's have a PHRF rating?

Does anyone know if i550's have a PHRF rating?

There are a few ratings out there... but to get one in PHRF-NorCal you're going to need about 300# more lead and another 18" of length... of course they ARE using Portsmouth ratings for sportboats in your neighborhood these days (or so the rumor goes)... check with Richmond YC.

Things are progressing well.

Been very busy getting all plugs built, faired, primed etc for all the required moulds.

As well all the other custom and smaller items that seem to take up a lot of time.

It won't be long before we start production of the first hull that is staying in Ontario and then the second that is going to Vancouver.

We have lots of inquiries and people that are interested, but they would like to see the first production boat before they decide on where they will spend their money.

I am very happy with how everything is moving along for the production i550 and Velocity BoatWorks.

Cheers

Geoff.

www.velocityboatworks.com

Info

geoff@velocityboatworks.com

orders@velocityboatworks.com

Here is a question for regarding the sprits. How much of an advantage is the articulation? If the pole swings 30 degrees off center, how much deeper could you sail? Does the VMG gained improve enough to offset just heating the boat up? I notice most other successful sport boats don't bother articulating, but set the sprit out to center and retract after they are done. Simpler and stronger, just would like to know if the extra expense / engineering is worth the gains, or it is a case of keeping up with the dudes who post the most... I was looking close at the bow section today trying to figure which way to go... thanks, Mike

I'm sure Couch will be along shortly but having sailed an i550 with an articulating sprit it certainly seems to help project the Kite out from under the main especially in 5-15 knots. However it was one more thing to deal with while gybing doublehanded.

Clean gybes are key to winning moves, thats kind of my point. The light air races where dead downwind sail shape count most always seem to be postponed or thrown out at result time. Just two more thoughts to consider.

...we do most all of our racing in 5-15knots-- put it on,,,you'll be glad you did.

.....I typically sheet the chute while steering the gybe,,,

. .........if there wasn't a rotator to adjust, Sarc would have been sitting looking pretty :mellow:

Monstermike,,,did you find a good finesse way to use the viper mast?

...we do most all of our racing in 5-15knots-- put it on,,,you'll be glad you did.

.....I typically sheet the chute while steering the gybe,,,

. .........if there wasn't a rotator to adjust, Sarc would have been sitting looking pretty :mellow:

Monstermike,,,did you find a good finesse way to use the viper mast?

That's true! It would be difficult if the crew trimmed the kite but how Couch and I did it was He would drive and trim kite while I did main and jib downwind and delt with the sprit articulation and tack line adjustments etc..

Once you get it down it's as smooth as a normal gybe.

.....I typically sheet the chute