RRS 49 prevents towing a crew waterski style,as it also prevents trapezes and hiking devices on Melges .... and i550s and everything else that floats and races

unless you are in a special race where it is ( 49) amended

maybe pross' boat can fit in the 18' skiff class rules and use hike devices them in Sydney or Europe, otherwise no

RRS 49 prevents towing a crew waterski style,as it also prevents trapezes and hiking devices on Melges .... and i550s and everything else that floats and races

unless you are in a special race where it is ( 49) amended

maybe pross' boat can fit in the 18' skiff class rules and use hike devices them in Sydney or Europe, otherwise no

Ha, finally a real answer, ok plan change YET again..........actually just jabbing the loose class rules.

A couple of realistic thoughts, well maybe more.

The region the boat MAY sail in has few heavy days, hiking alone may be random events. I have serious doubts the boat will sail the same waters on a regular basis with another i550 for quite some time, till enough get sorted out. The Tempest's rig is a PERFECT fit for the boat as finding cheap donors goes. (Don't worry Guitar and Tempest lovers, no Tempest is getting chopped to create one of these things.) That rig already has traps and would be fun to use from time to time. I can only see racing this boat in a Tuesday series with the Greenhaven Sailing Club, they won't care what I use, again really light air sailing ( The Tempest is probably a much nicer boat to sail BTW.). I don't like sailing in Stonigton Harbor, much prefer Little Narragansett Bay, Although both are crowded, Stonington has too much large traffic and boat wake. The idea of drifting around in the Wed Night series........nope. This is more of a toy until others get up to speed, hell it may never sail if I am the one sailing it, I bore easily.

When a class race DOES happen, I do plan to bring a Nuke to a knife fight, without traps.

I really want a Legends Race Car, hopefully this will sell and I can buy one. Anyone got one they want to trade? I realized the lopsided Evelyn 25/Gnat keel trade was stupid and the 25 was NEVER going to yield the money , so that's why it got chopped. Could have been repaired, but I hated that POS!

Really like the look of the boat without a deck, will need to core the visible hull panels though.

Viper guys keep comin back, your boat is ultra hot! I laughed when I started reading the rules. Similar? Sure they are........

Just joing the thread to live up to Timber's expectations. Didnt want him to feel that we ignore i550 threads.

Okay, Justin, if you are going to be messing with the i550 threads, then check out the hatchet job I did on the Viper yesterday ("Snakes, Planing") and

the Viper's pathetic fleet signed up for CRW. ;)

http://www.nbayracing.com/

I mean, come on, fair is fair.

Sorry to be a bubble buster. Rule 6.3 will (for class competition) will keep your butt on the deck. legs in in straps or out with lifelines.

Timber

"6.3 The crew shall only extend outboard of the deck profile of the yacht, while

feet are attached in hiking straps, or torsos are inside of affixed lifelines."

Reading this, are liflines required? Does TTB have them? It does not excluse the use of the traps. Put the hiking straps on the deck, stuff your feet in them and all is legal. That rule seems to imply the use of lifelines when sticking your feet over the edge. You can't be serious about mandating lifelines........................I gotta give the sawzall to the woman and have her hide it!

It's either foot straps or life lines. Not both. TTB has foot straps. Viper and Open 5.70 have similar rules too.

Kevin.

Looks like the trap is legal then, put an extremely tight foot strap on the rail. Note once more: " 1.2 Anything not expressly prohibited in this rule, is allowed. " and you have a loop (foot strap on rail) hole. I did NOT read anywhere about any given butt being deck bound. Won't go into the rules changing, or by whom, but this is where I intend to discuss the situation..................should a rule change occur because of this post :lol: ......................................where I learned of the boat.

I'll read their rules, thanks Kevin.

Hiking straps are just what they mean, you hike from them, not Trapeze from them. hiking straps hold your legs down and in the boat so you can project weight outboard. hiking and trapping are two different things.

we dont have lifelines but have hiking straps, but we hike legs out style on long beats upwind to get the weight forward. lifelines are a fuckup in my opinion.

Sorry to be a bubble buster. Rule 6.3 will (for class competition) will keep your butt on the deck. legs in in straps or out with lifelines.

Timber

"6.3 The crew shall only extend outboard of the deck profile of the yacht, while

Reading this, are liflines required? Does TTB have them? It does not excluse the use of the traps. Put the hiking straps on the deck, stuff your feet in them and all is legal. That rule seems to imply the use of lifelines when sticking your feet over the edge. You can't be serious about mandating lifelines........................I gotta give the sawzall to the woman and have her hide it!

It's either foot straps or life lines. Not both. TTB has foot straps. Viper and Open 5.70 have similar rules too.

Kevin.

Looks like the trap is legal then, put an extremely tight foot strap on the rail. Note once more: " 1.2 Anything not expressly prohibited in this rule, is allowed. " and you have a loop (foot strap on rail) hole. I did NOT read anywhere about any given butt being deck bound. Won't go into the rules changing, or by whom, but this is where I intend to discuss the situation..................should a rule change occur because of this post :lol: ......................................where I learned of the boat.

Hiking straps are just what they mean, you hike from them, not Trapeze from them. hiking straps hold your legs down and in the boat so you can project weight outboard. hiking and trapping are two different things.

we dont have lifelines but have hiking straps, but we hike legs out style on long beats upwind to get the weight forward. lifelines are a fuckup in my opinion.

The trap line is a taunting jab, but it appears legal. Will drop it , but it is an extremely open book, and open to interpretation. 1/4" plywood, lightly tabbed, will be a challenge to beef up for lifelines to support the crew weight without ripping half the deck.

TTB, do you guys have a sailing rule that mandates the outboard be transom mounted at all times? I read where you mentioned the engine would get wet if the transom was lowered at all, I cut mine down 4", would just add a taller mounting bracket to counter if it is an issue. I still like the cabin version, but can't do it if there is even one flush deck out there. Removable cabins would be a good way to penalize those (of us) who diverted and exploit the anything goes part of the rule, but too late for that.............

TTB, what an effort you made, this is all because of your success and you should be proud. I completely admire the boat and the fun you've had, great job. It may be the fugliest boat I have ever touched (CF38 beats ALL!), but that's what drew me to it. Fugly is fast.

Just joing the thread to live up to Timber's expectations. Didnt want him to feel that we ignore i550 threads.

Okay, Justin, if you are going to be messing with the i550 threads, then check out the hatchet job I did on the Viper yesterday ("Snakes, Planing") and

the Viper's pathetic fleet signed up for CRW. ;)

http://www.nbayracing.com/

I mean, come on, fair is fair.

Maybe we i550 "Cult of the KoolAid Drinkers" should visit the snakies and challenge them with our .... Uh, ..... Uh,

Looking forward to sailing with every one of you. ;)

Maybe we i550 "Cult of the KoolAid Drinkers" should visit the snakies and challenge them with our .... Uh, ..... Uh,

that will definitely happen!!!!

Portsmouth though. That extra foot of WL on the snakies, less tonnage, etc.

Can not wait.

Timber

Kevin.

The trap line is a taunting jab, but it appears legal. Will drop it , but it is an extremely open book, and open to interpretation. 1/4" plywood, lightly tabbed, will be a challenge to beef up for lifelines to support the crew weight without ripping half the deck.

TTB, do you guys have a sailing rule that mandates the outboard be transom mounted at all times? I read where you mentioned the engine would get wet if the transom was lowered at all, I cut mine down 4", would just add a taller mounting bracket to counter if it is an issue. I still like the cabin version, but can't do it if there is even one flush deck out there. Removable cabins would be a good way to penalize those (of us) who diverted and exploit the anything goes part of the rule, but too late for that.............

TTB, what an effort you made, this is all because of your success and you should be proud. I completely admire the boat and the fun you've had, great job. It may be the fugliest boat I have ever touched (CF38 beats ALL!), but that's what drew me to it. Fugly is fast.

yep. we have to have our motors mounted all the time when racing. not allowed to take it downstairs when racing.

Neew posting of pictures of Gordo"s RED BOATover on the i550.org. So we've got 2 white, one green, one red all floating or floatable. You guys make me proud. In glue and dust , we place our trust.

You guys make me proud. In glue and dust , we place our trust.

I know it's a bit "90's" and I think a Mothie used it on a Bladerider vid, but still, I nominate this as the Official i550 Anthem® :rolleyes:

I know it dates from at least the seventies. pretty much an evergreen phrase.

I like the idea of using it as an Anthem. But hanging out around a campfire after racing and singing it like a bunch of Yalies gives me the willies.

I have been working on a blues tune titled "port tack start in a Starboard tack world" :blink:

I hope this question has not been asked too many times, but when are the plans for the 25 ft. version of this boat coming out. This is a really cool concept but just slightly small for my fat ass.

You might want to send a message to Anarchist "Paninaro" and ask him directly....from a glance at his member profile, he doesn't visit the forums too often.

You might want to send a message to Anarchist "Paninaro" and ask him directly....from a glance at his member profile, he doesn't visit the forums too often.

Thanks for tip, I will do that.

Saw your photos of your build, looks like fun. Any idea of time you have it that baby to this point.

you mean when it will be in the water? I'm hoping for August '09 but knowing me, probably more like August 2010. :D Yet, miracles do happen!

I hope this question has not been asked too many times, but when are the plans for the 25 ft. version of this boat coming out. This is a really cool concept but just slightly small for my fat ass.

OOOHHH, a newbie! Hold me back, hold me back.

Welcome. ;)

Welcome. ;)

Wait till he drinks the Koolaid, then give him the standard welcome ;)

Welcome. ;)

Wait till he drinks the Koolaid, then give him the standard welcome ;)

The only thing better than one newbie is two, but I have already had the Koolaid :blink:

Teaco, it's been asked a few times here, but the designer doesn't appear to be interested while there is still a buzz with the 550.

Like you, I would prefer the 25 also, but my ass size isn't the issue.

I prefer the 25 because:

1. Anything under 20' will not be given a rating soon in phrf-lo.

(not interested in a fixxed bow sprit to beat the rule and lose the ability to articulate the sprit)

2. Have doubts how the 550 would perform upwind in the ridiculous chop we experience when it's 15+ out the north or east on Lake Ontario.

I was close to ordering plans and deal with issue #2 anyway. But when I caught wind of this years phrf-lo agenda, I decided to pass.

Forget about PHRF...just get a few of your friends together and build boats! We will be building at least a couple here in Kingston next winter...there are more waiting in the wings.

There is nothing on the PHRF-LO site that I could find about the 20 foot minimum. I posed a question on the forum, so we will see.

I hate PHRF. They are just a bunch of self promoting asshole egoists. They are killing a growth sector of sailing with the <25 foot loa prohibition.

I think they are afraaaaaid to go fast. Pussies.

Strong opinion to follow

Strong opinion to follow

strong opinion # 1

the sailing forums of this website would not exist without handicap systems to complain about !!! :lol:

I hate PHRF. They are just a bunch of self promoting asshole egoists. They are killing a growth sector of sailing with the <25 foot loa prohibition.

Strong opinion to follow

Timber,

Isn't there a fine line between assholes and pussies? I believe that might be a great name for one of the i550's, whatever that line may be called.......

BTW, like the post #!

You have mail.

Thanks PRoss,

Taint there a name for it? but you know when you cross it.

Thanks for the email. Power on, sounds like a great approach for the i550 #222 utilizing scavenged parts. But I'll betcha there aren't that many Tempest rigs to outfit a local fleet for the lemmings. ;)

Thanks PRoss,

Taint there a name for it? but you know when you cross it.

Thanks for the email. Power on, sounds like a great approach for the i550 #222 utilizing scavenged parts. But I'll betcha there aren't that many Tempest rigs to outfit a local fleet for the lemmings. ;)

Timber,

At least it gets the boat wet, if it hasn't been sold by summer. Gives me time to build the spar and search for a sailmaker. Taint rocket science, ya know?

Strong opinion to follow

Sail Portsmouth.

This is from the files archive on the i550 yahoo site, posted up by designer Chris Beckwith;

The PHRF and Portsmouth rating info has been posted to the files section.

Here's a breakdown of what you are looking at...

LWL is max sailing waterline length.

SA is upwind sail area which is what the formulas are based on, chute size is

factored in,

and I will explain that further down.

As the boat is so light, and a keelboat, It was suggested that it be computed

with the

average "racing crew" weight. Displacement was increased to 450lbs to account

for three

persons without severely penalizing the boat's rating.

The formula comes up with a D-PN of 77.81 and a PHRF of 137. I believe this is

more fair

than the 120 that I was previously told to use. It puts the boat inline with

similarly

sizeds/styled boats in the USA.

The formula takes into account the fact that the boat has a none traditional

sprit

(articulating) extending five feet past "J". It also takes into account a square

top, or large

roached main as being standard.

Wind ranges in Portsmouth translate to a PHRF range of 138 in light air, and 135

in the

heavy stuff. I think this, coupled with polars, sail plan drawing, and

plan/profile/section

view drawing will satisfy most PHRF committees.

To satisfy most PHRF committees and or local fleets, certain safety guidelines

should be

submitted to them as well...

Lifelines MUST be affixed and/or hiking straps need to be used when hiking.

No crew forward of the mast in race mode.

Companionway hatch will remain closed and fastened when not in use.

Fifty feet of towline onboard

An anchor and rode of sufficiency for local conditions.

A means to bail water out of the cabin. (manual or electric bilge pump)

Throwable lifesaving device (Type IV) accessable to all crew members while

racing.

Some of the above will not be required by everyone. What we need to do is show

PHRF committees we are serious, and addressing any liability issues so that they

do not have to.

We also want to take the work off their shoulders so that they can't say "NO"

because they

don't have the time, or knowledge to rate the boat.

Forget about PHRF...just get a few of your friends together and build boats! We will be building at least a couple here in Kingston next winter...there are more waiting in the wings.

There is nothing on the PHRF-LO site that I could find about the 20 foot minimum. I posed a question on the forum, so we will see.

Here is the forum post from the phrf-lo site.

http://www.phrf-lo.org/forum/index.php?top...;prev_next=next

It would be great racing with you guys at the other end of the lake a few times a year, but I still want to be able to club race here at home. Our club is close to budgeting for a drysailing crane a couple years from now. When it looks like it will happen for sure, I'll put the Hobie up for sale and replace it with a smaller sportboat.

That is not the thread I started...here it is, with no replies...

http://www.phrf-lo.org/forum/index.php?topic=75.0

PS...what do you need a crane for????

No, I saw your thread there also, the other one is a response from a handicapper discussing the probability of a 20' minimum rule just around the bend.

As far as the crane goes, the club wants to attract new members or old members who have downsized to daysailers or sportboats. I assume you're questioning the need for a crane due to the ability to launch the I550 from a ramp. At this point, our club ramp is of the floating wood variety that used for launching jr sailing 420s and optis.

At some point down the road, I wouldn't mind trekking to your end of the lake to see the boat in the flesh.

Hey you glue addicts.

I am arranging a Sportboat Demo Weekend in Chicago on June 12-14 + a mixed sportboat class in the Chicago NOOD the following Friday-Sunday (june 19-210) and i would very much like to have an i550 there. We are going to have a dozen different sportboats in the 20'ish foot range and are inviting anybody, who would like, to come and try a ride of any of these. The local club is generously opening the doors and will have party on with bands both Friday and Saurday nights. Here is a chance to show off the i550 and hopefully get some people hooked on starting the glue sniffing.

I need to get one of you guys here with a boat to take people out for demo sails. Are any of you up for it?

Additionally, it would be great if you would be up for racing your boat in the Chicago NOOD the following Fri-Sun

Please get in touch if you have a boat finished by then and are game for this. It wil be a blast.

Cheers,

-Christian

sounds like Kmac better get busy ;) .....thanks for the heads-up, Christian.

Kevin and I are about neck-and-neck in our builds. I haven't posted on my blog lately---will have to do that tonight. Cockpit is complete, aft decks are glued down, rigs and sprits should arrive from NZ in 3 weeks or so. Might be able to glass the cockpit this weekend.

Having my boat sailing by June 12 is possible. Sailing it well by then, is another question entirely. :lol:

Jeff

Kevin and I are about neck-and-neck in our builds. I haven't posted on my blog lately---will have to do that tonight. Cockpit is complete, aft decks are glued down, rigs and sprits should arrive from NZ in 3 weeks or so. Might be able to glass the cockpit this weekend.

Having my boat sailing by June 12 is possible. Sailing it well by then, is another question entirely. :lol:

Jeff

Didn't mean to leave you out of the equation, Jeff. Sorry, man!

Jeff

Jeff - since it is still cold up there in Madison - go full bore on getting it done. I do want to have one of you guys for this gig!

I think Jeff has the momentum right now and is more likely to be ready than I am. I've had the demo day on my calendar for a long time now, but the weather just hasn't cooperated lately. And as much as I say I'll work in the basement on stuff, other things have taken priority. I just have to bit the bullet and go get those foils finished.

Having a boat sorted and sailing well will be a different story. But we should have something floating by then.

Cheers, Kevin.

I also see kevin lurking - are you both going to get your boats done in time?

BTW - Kevin - could you shoot me your email so i can put both you and jeff on the distribution list for info about the event?

Just sent you an email with my info.

Also, just got back from a trip. Pray for some warmer weather in Chicago so I can get some real work done soon. Toiling in the basement is good, but it's not the same as working on the boat itself.

Cheers, Kevin.

i550 builders:

Does anyone need an aluminum mast for their project? I've got a 29.5 foot Selden/Proctor aluminum Viper 640 mast in my back yard, looking for a good home. I figured before I put it on Craig's List for some random person to do who-knows-what with it, I'd offer it to fellow sportsboat anarchists. It's more than tall enough for an i550, so you could cut the excess off the bottom and relocate hardware as needed for your application.

The mast is the original aluminum mast that from my Viper 640 (which was converted to a new Carbon rig) Here are the details:

- Proctor(Selden) extrusion #3525

- Overall mast height: 29.5 feet.

- Single spreader, with upper and lower shrouds.

- Approx 2.5" fore/aft chord (diameter?) tapered to approx 2" at the tip. The taper starts 48" from the top.

Locations of hardware, measured down from the top of the mast:

- spin halyard sheave: 32"

- Openings for the upper shroud t-ball fittings: 52.25"

- Forestay t-ball opening: 62.75"

- Jib Halyard sheave: 66.5"

- extra sheave (possibly for a topping lift?) along the front of the mast: 148.5"

- Spreader bracket: 185.5"

- openings for lower shroud t-balls: 189.5"

- Spinnaker pole ring: 294"

- goose neck: 309.5"

I imagine all of those locations can be changed, but hopefully that'll give you a good description of what I have. The original halyards are still in the mast, but are pretty old. At least you'd be able to run new ones using the originals as messenger lines, so that'd be pretty easy.

Mast is located in Austin, TX. PM me if you're interested.

Thx,

F.

Thanks for the heads up. I'lll post this over on the i550.org site , too.

T

I know Timbo (#151) in SoCal was looking at the viper rigs as a good donor. The measurement from the top down to the forestay is right on the money for the rules. As I understand it, the mast is sleeved and pretty bullet proof.

The one TX builder I know of already has a donor rig for his boat. Maybe one of the SE guys would be interested. If the viper rig works there could be lots of those available seeing as a bunch of vipers switched to the carbon rig.

I hope we find a good home for it. Kevin.

I know Timbo (#151) in SoCal was looking at the viper rigs as a good donor. The measurement from the top down to the forestay is right on the money for the rules. As I understand it, the mast is sleeved and pretty bullet proof.

The one TX builder I know of already has a donor rig for his boat. Maybe one of the SE guys would be interested. If the viper rig works there could be lots of those available seeing as a bunch of vipers switched to the carbon rig.

I hope we find a good home for it. Kevin.

Good to hear about the forestay location being in the right place for you guys.

FYI, you're correct, the aluminum viper rig is sleeved, so it ought to be pretty bullet-proof on an i550. Sorry I forgot to mention the sleeving in my original post. As far as I can tell, the sleeved section extends from the base of the mast up to the spreader brackets.

You're right about the number of Viper aluminum rigs possibly available. At this point, almost ALL the vipers out there have converted to Carbon, so there should be quite a few of these aluminum rigs looking for a good home. It'd be a nice story if they ended up going to i550's... nice to have one sportboat class heliping out another! Kind of a big brother/little brother gig (cue the Cumbaya and let's all hold hands and sing campfire songs... :P )

Cheers,

F.

P.S. Also forgot to mention that I have shrouds and spreaders to go with that mast as well.

It'd be a nice story if they ended up going to i550's... nice to have one sportboat class heliping out another! Kind of a big brother/little brother gig (cue the Cumbaya and let's all hold hands and sing campfire songs... :P )

Cheers,

F.

P.S. Also forgot to mention that I have shrouds and spreaders to go with that mast as well.

That's great news about donor masts. But we'll have to bag it a bit going downhill. Otherwise the supply might shut off. ;)

That's great news about donor masts. But we'll have to bag it a bit going downhill. Otherwise the supply might shut off. ;)

Oh, I don't know about that... I think the snakes will be able to hold their own just fine. We'll have to be careful not to beat up on the little boats too much. :lol:

But there's only one way to find out: Launch some of those puppies, and come join us for a regatta this summer!

Oh, I don't know about that... I think the snakes will be able to hold their own just fine. We'll have to be careful not to beat up on the little boats too much. :lol:

But there's only one way to find out: Launch some of those puppies, and come join us for a regatta this summer!

That should happen at the Chicago NOOd - time for a face off between all the 20'ish sportboats....................it will be a blast!

Plan set #196 is going out the door to Italy. Joining about 5 other koolaid consumers in Northern Italy. Plus 4 in Slovenia makes for a nice cluster. Switzerland has 3 , Greece 2.

Christian, PM me with Nood stuff.

T

It does not appear hopeful on the PHRF front on Lake Ontario.

huh...well, thanks for giving it the Old College Try, O30 OS.

Have you had any discussions with the local club to see if you can get something provisional with them. The only way to convert slow boat sailors is to have fun in fast boats for less money. (That is the point of this adventure anyway). Ideally we get to portsmouth type ratings for mixed sport boat fleets, but we need to get the toe in the water first.

Kevin.

Sorry to hear about the attitude from the PHRFLO.

First item to suggest is that the i550 is not an Open Rule design.

I appreciate the nature of time constraints on PHRF volunteers. Given the demands of everyday life it is a big commitment to be on a rating or any commitee. It does occur to me that the refusal to rate or even accomodate provisional ratings for a new boat type will assure the commitee has more free time in the future as fewer peope participate in their events and sailing in general.

Old School I really appreciate your efforts to investigate this. I have had a number of inquiries from LO who have been watching this unfold. I hope that someone builds one and others follow on to join the fun. This can be grassroots sailing at its best.

TR

Hey PROSS....where are ya?? I've seen your recent pics and it looks like the Caddy is coming along nicely.

Chris

Hey PROSS....where are ya?? I've seen your recent pics and it looks like the Caddy is coming along nicely.

Chris

Chris,

Kind of been ill lately, the woman hauled my ass to the hospital last week..........yuk! Fluids, tests, crazy ass radiation scan tubes, liquid drugs that should kill an elephant and still no answer, so back to being crazy asshole boat builder till they tell me to stop for good.

The boat is getting closer, finally got the hang of that stitch and glue stuff. I found it worked well to stitch and bitch to get past the lumpy issues. Been using the boat to build a deck plug on. The tool allows several construction options, it's hot glued to the hull to make it easy to remove without changing shape too much. Most of the deck goes away once the spray deflector is installed, but perhaps someone may be interested in one of these decks and might want it full length. It ends close to the forward end of the designed keel box, which is not the keel location in 222. The massive cambers provide several other options as well.

Picture133.jpg

Picture172.jpg

I kind of like the new look, which still measures at all hull points. The rules allow +-1" at several critical points, 222 has not exploited those measurements, only asthetics. The deck camber at 124 (forward end of keel box) is 6" and roughly 5" at the mast, don't know what that will do for the boat compared to the flat, flush deck boats. Once those hull panels are successfully pulled flat and fair to the frames, the little monster takes on a kind of cool look. I am surprised how heavy it is at this point, still haven't done the cutouts in two of the frames, going to 1/2" on all frames is still a good idea. It may SEEM heavy, but no way is it going to come close to 800 lbs. Building ballast boxes on either side of the keel box to keep the loads off the hull panels.

The keel is on the build table, rudder fairly far along, both carbon with no wood. I am seriously considering a fixed keel, more on that later

To get it wet, will use the Tempest rig and old sails until the new stuff is done, need to get some advice and direction from Musicman first.

Click HERE for 222 photos

hell man, stick a blown 454 in that puppy and have at it :lol:

Hope ya feel better PRoss, dont let the fackers in white coats get you down.

post-768-1240262894_thumb.jpg post-768-1240262782.jpg

It does not appear hopeful on the PHRF front on Lake Ontario.

Sigh, They just don't get it. They sacrifice the future to make sure the old displacement boats aren't put at a disadvantage. At some point those of us on Lake Ontario just have to get our clubs to secede from PHRF-LO. We have to stop letting the tail wag the dog.

hell man, stick a blown 454 in that puppy and have at it :lol:

Hope ya feel better PRoss, dont let the fackers in white coats get you down.

post-768-1240262894_thumb.jpg post-768-1240262782.jpg

TIM! I was hoping to keep this alter use under wraps for a while! I have a "larger" outboard I was going to prop on the transom, then suggest a mixed fuel event..........................................But you have clearly raised the bar, VERY NICE!! I thought I would share the real power option that is most fitting for the "spirit" of these boats:

2_IMG_0644.jpg

The men in white coats are scary when they look at you with that most uncertain look, AFTER proclaiming their original thoughts as most definate! Morphine is for junkies, not for ultra crazed lunatics! My ears weren't even able to understand the name of the higher level fluid drug they promised would not leave me a street sleeping junky! I warned them chemicals make me mean and angry, not fun and playful, oh well...........

I thought I would share the real power option that is most fitting for the "spirit" of these boats:

2_IMG_0644.jpg

HAH!! Excellent choice! God, that's hilarious. I want that!!! (can you even imagine how loud that sumbitch is?)

Hey, doctors? You can't live with, you can't live without 'em. I'm trying the without 'em part for awhile longer.

Hang tough, hombre!

Hmmmm - looks like home waters Koh Samui to me, Chaweng Beach maybe???

Thinking about using something similar on our sports cat - well just for the fishing trips anyhow :ph34r:

2_IMG_0644.jpg

Hmmmm - looks like home waters Koh Samui to me, Chaweng Beach maybe???

Thinking about using something similar on our sports cat - well just for the fishing trips anyhow :ph34r:

2_IMG_0644.jpg

I have been trying to find build info on these ultra cool power options, has anyone posted such an effort? I have a couple of older kart motors that would be a total hoot on the back of the boat, using the rudder "beam" as a pivot mount. Pull the rudder and drop the "power oar" in the socket and off you go. I doubt the boat could handle much, one of the kart motors is pushing 59HP at stupid rpm's.

Can see it now: Complete an event at one of the "yachtie" clubs in the "Caddy", convert to Thai power and scream home with a non muffled, single lug noise maker. Perhaps a loop or two around the fleet, often allowing the prop to shower the madding crowd. One such "club" actually had a 10 minute motor use rule on it's race to Block Isl.................it was as stupid as it sounds, but I want that race to return!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any ideas where I can find the info to drop that motor on a long shaft? Thought about a weed eater with a plastic prop, but the boat deserves so much more...........Nothing like the smell of 108 octane, wonder how hard you have to pull on that monster to keep the prop wet and keep the bow out of the water.

The smaller engines used here are indeed 'Weed Wacker' motors; cheap, pull cord starting, built in fuel tank, light weight. Next step up is the single pot water pump motors - generally Kubota and running a large flywheel for damping. Then we have the big buys...... a la photo.

WARNING: 'THREAD-JACK'

Back to the i550; will be one of our future projects once we get some of the big cats outta the shed or even thinking about our own design (along similar lines) and doing a moulded version. Got an in-house designer now and working on our first small cat as 1st in-house design......... will see how it goes?? With a big interest in the local kids sailing the Optimists on Samui (WELL DONE Capt. Squall!!) we have to get something for them to graduate up to and something along the lines of the i550 would tick all the boxes.

I have been trying to find build info on these ultra cool power options, has anyone posted such an effort? I have a couple of older kart motors that would be a total hoot on the back of the boat, using the rudder "beam" as a pivot mount. Pull the rudder and drop the "power oar" in the socket and off you go. I doubt the boat could handle much, one of the kart motors is pushing 59HP at stupid rpm's.

Can see it now: Complete an event at one of the "yachtie" clubs in the "Caddy", convert to Thai power and scream home with a non muffled, single lug noise maker. Perhaps a loop or two around the fleet, often allowing the prop to shower the madding crowd. One such "club" actually had a 10 minute motor use rule on it's race to Block Isl.................it was as stupid as it sounds, but I want that race to return!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any ideas where I can find the info to drop that motor on a long shaft? Thought about a weed eater with a plastic prop, but the boat deserves so much more...........Nothing like the smell of 108 octane, wonder how hard you have to pull on that monster to keep the prop wet and keep the bow out of the water.

So has the 2nd boat in AUS been sailed yet?

Dunno if it's the first or second ply boat but there'll be a pretty little green boat up at the B2B, from what I saw yesterday.

Two new boats in Australia have floated recently. The Greenie and a Red. You can see pictures of them over at i550.org in the threads.

Go the Trash Baby and the Greenie at Bay to Bay.

Would have to be 2nd to the Trash. So it's hit the water already?

Yep. Green one has already hit the water and has been sailing. Will be banging heads with them at bay to bay. Tokyo trash baby vs baby faced assassin. And then there is the canberra one that steve would know about already, its looking good too.

Plan set #197 goes away to Vancouver Island, Canada. #200 will go to whom? A Pallindrome soon after. How many primes are pallindromes, anyway?

although wiki says:

"It is not known if there are infinitely many palindromic primes in base 10. The largest known is 10180004 + 248797842 × 1089998 + 1, found by Harvey Dubner in 2007."

I was wanting an entire list. but you can start where that nut stopped with the largest number. and if he's so smart why do we have to add it up, anyway?

if he's so smart why do we have to add it up, anyway?

good question!

it's a helluva large number. Something like 2.5 x 10 to the 22nd power? We start approaching Planck units if we take this to another 57 powers of ten in the other direction, which, coincidentally enough, is

probably going to be the name of hull #87, "Planck Unit" or "Planck Length" the theoretical point at which, according to Superstring Theory, things can't get any smaller.

but I still love Timbo's "Toxic Asset" :lol:

if he's so smart why do we have to add it up, anyway?

good question!

it's a helluva large number. Something like 2.5 x 10 to the 22nd power? We start approaching Planck units if we take this to another 57 powers of ten in the other direction, which, coincidentally enough, is

probably going to be the name of hull #87, "Planck Unit" or "Planck Length" the theoretical point at which, according to Superstring Theory, things can't get any smaller.

but I still love Timbo's "Toxic Asset" :lol:

Damn scientists. If you were to build a boat with planks that small Noah wouldn't have made his deadline. And what's this SUPERstring Theory anyway? String theory not good enough? or did you get some marketing guy to jazz it up cuz ya just couldn't sell as simply String Theory?

Supersize me :rolleyes:

Plan set #197 goes away to Vancouver Island, Canada. #200 will go to whom? A Pallindrome soon after. How many primes are pallindromes, anyway?

that'd be me...already scrounging lead... :D

no firm thoughts on names yet. last boat was "rented mule". old scampi 30 leadmine.

may have to have something to do with donkey's or beasts of burden tho. just for old times sake.

bump this one to the top of list.

Saturday's performance by TTB at the Bay to Bay was outstanding. congratulations to Andrew. Baby Faced Assassin had some first race blues when the rig came down but the potential for the i550 has shown through. This is a great encouragement to all the builders out there. this summer should see new floaters in the States.

this summer should see new floaters in the States.

Not a word we use too lovingly, here in Baltimore, Murderland.

this summer should see new floaters in the States.

Not a word we use too lovingly, here in Baltimore, Murderland.

Oh, I see what you mean. Could be interpreted as the equal to corn-eyed bass. :blink:

I am considering (read dreaming) of building an I550 and was wondering if anyone has a rough idea of what it would cost to get one built and on the water in Australia.

I am considering (read dreaming) of building an I550 and was wondering if anyone has a rough idea of what it would cost to get one built and on the water in Australia.

i originally put mine on the water for about 12grand, but if you went with all new gear, probably 18-20 ready to sail. the green i550 lives in salamander bay, might be close by for you to have a peak at a really well finished one?

the cost for doing it in the states would be 13,000.

precut plywood Kit,=2,500

epoxy & glass, 1,000

deck gear 1,400

sails 3,500

carbon spar 2,500

standing and running rigging 1,100

keel and rudder 1,000

You can do it for much less if you are a good scavenger. Parts can be adapted from other boats, surplus gear can be gotten nearly free. A complete boat from a pro builder will be about the same or less than an Open 5.70 at about $26,000.

The first i550 Carbon Spars are in from C-Tech NZ. And they are sweet. Thank you to Kevin and Alex for all the work put into getting this done.

Jon

The first i550 Carbon Spars are in from C-Tech NZ. And they are sweet. Thank you to Kevin and Alex for all the work put into getting this done.

Jon

pics or it didn't ......

you know the rules jray

make sure the price sticker is in the shots ?

We got to test our C-Tech rig last weekend, in a massive foul up (leadmine sandwich, hooked on to the windward boat's runners, hauled sideways for 5 minutes). We were all sure the entire rig was going to get ripped out of the boat, but in the end, only suffered the indignity of a busted spreader from (I suspect) a direct hit to the other boat's sidedecks.

I can personally assure you, C-Tech rigs are F&*KING tough!

Pleased that you guys were able to sort things out with Alex; they do great work :_)

Prods and booms are a work of art too :_)

post-10131-1242222721_thumb.jpg

post-10131-1242222732_thumb.jpg

What beautiful work! I think that the spars may turn a few heads. How many more i550'ers got spars in this grouping?

Stevero, thanks for the spontaneous testing regimen.

T

The total order for the initial set from C-Tech was six. They have all arrived in the U.S. - 2 separate shipments (1 shipment of 2 to Montana, 1 shipment of 4 to Madison WI)

We got to test our C-Tech rig last weekend, in a massive foul up (leadmine sandwich, hooked on to the windward boat's runners, hauled sideways for 5 minutes). We were all sure the entire rig was going to get ripped out of the boat, but in the end, only suffered the indignity of a busted spreader from (I suspect) a direct hit to the other boat's sidedecks.

Pleased that you guys were able to sort things out with Alex; they do great work :_)

Are you serious dude???!!!

Did the idiot on the big boat think about rounding up and stopping his boat? 5 min's, shit!

I haven't gotten any other pics of my camera except the spreaders.

post-7091-1242221962_thumb.jpg

post-7091-1242221974_thumb.jpg

There are 6 rigs currently. I know of 1 other builder planning to order a rig. The fit and finish is great. Here's a pic of the prod with sleeve, the 2nd is the boom and mast still in 3 pieces. Masts are not very photogenic but they look awesome in person! Feel free to swing on by and check it out.

Kevin.

post-18673-1242267423_thumb.jpg

post-18673-1242267435_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the stress test. Let's hope I don't run into a similar idiot. I think my knife would have been out if he was dragging me along. What a tool.

Kevin.