• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

I hope Chicago gets a heat wave for you. 80 sure beats 60. At 90 I switch to 206!

Me too - remember Kevin and Jeff - we have a date in mid June.........................so get the damn epoxy cooking!

Christian,

What kind of shackle do you use for your 2:1 main halyard? I thought I remembered you mentioning that you used a polished halyard instead of a block and I'd like to do the same.

Also, I'm sorry to report that I have no real chance of finishing my boat by the demo day as much as I want that to happen. This was not an easy conclusion to come to. But my eye has stopped twitch since I decided to let that go and the masts arrived in 1 piece.

Kevin.

Guys - hire a few helpers and git'r'done..........

Anyway - sorry to hear that the two local boats will not be done - are there any other 550's in the country, who are up for a road trip? It will be GREAT exposure for the boat - the demo weekend is shaping up nicely and the NOOD mixed sportboat class is a go!

I use the smallest Tylaska halyard shackle. I used to use a Holt Allen (or Ronstan one but the Tylaska is a little more flash - the old one I had to polish to make it smooth enough to not chew up the halyard.......

The NOOD mixed sport boat fleet should be a good head to head contest with all the designs on the water at once In the same start.

The front page piece has kicked us to the edge of 200 plan sets. I think we may pass it by midnight. Then comes the pallindrome of #202 soon after. And no, I won't reserve it. Just take yer best chance. Procrastination delayed won't get it done.

The NOOD mixed sport boat fleet should be a good head to head contest with all the designs on the water at once In the same start.

The front page piece has kicked us to the edge of 200 plan sets. I think we may pass it by midnight. Then comes the pallindrome of #202 soon after. And no, I won't reserve it. Just take yer best chance. Procrastination delayed won't get it done.

So Tim - do you have a finished boat you could take on a road trip?

We got to test our C-Tech rig last weekend, in a massive foul up (leadmine sandwich, hooked on to the windward boat's runners, hauled sideways for 5 minutes). We were all sure the entire rig was going to get ripped out of the boat, but in the end, only suffered the indignity of a busted spreader from (I suspect) a direct hit to the other boat's sidedecks.

I can personally assure you, C-Tech rigs are F&*KING tough!

Pleased that you guys were able to sort things out with Alex; they do great work :_)

Prods and booms are a work of art too :_)

Are you serious dude???!!!

Did the idiot on the big boat think about rounding up and stopping his boat? 5 min's, shit!

Give me shit, if you want, but this will be an ongoing problem in mixed-fleet racing, especially at the marks. Cool pics, but just the beginning. Glad the rig held up.

Give me shit, if you want, but this will be an ongoing problem in mixed-fleet racing, especially at the marks. Cool pics, but just the beginning. Glad the rig held up.

reckon it's manageable via a dinghy racers M.O.

we handful of SBs are racing 150 wallopers every sunday at the mo, and been doing so for years

tactically a faster smaller boat must steer around them to a great degree, which is do-able given your tacking down and up. 'buffalo girls' mantra

get near em and you increase your elapsed time, stay away and yr faster and won't hook up

mark roundings, ?? get in the line, NO '2 abreast' , if you get on their transom these blokes often leave a big enough gap to sail a truck thru anyways (or a handful of i550s?)

I've been lurking here for a while. This boat looks like a match for lots of reasons. Could anyone comment on the launching porcess? How long, how many, etc.?

Thanks, Mike

So Tim - do you have a finished boat you could take on a road trip?

No, not yet. Most optimistic schedule for us is the end of September.

A couple of good things: 1) we made it to #200 by Midnight and 2) #201 followed on quickly.

Items not mentioned on the front page: Partial builds are under consideration for realistic prices for those who really don't have the time and completed boats for the same realistic prices for those with no time but *Great* need.

Timber

I've been lurking here for a while. This boat looks like a match for lots of reasons. Could anyone comment on the launching porcess? How long, how many, etc.?

Thanks, Mike

Mike best thing to do is wonder on over to the class site http://www.i550.org/

register (it's free, of course) and post the question on the forum. Since there are

only a few boats that have actually hit the water, you might be more likely to hear from

one of those guys over on the class site, although TTB or Davo or Ron might chime in here, too.

I guess you mean more than just pushing the thing off a trailor...such as stepping the rig, shipping the rudd, etc.???

I guess you mean more than just pushing the thing off a trailor...such as stepping the rig, shipping the rudd, etc.???

Yup, exactly that. Can I rig it by myself? I am registered there and will post a question.

Thanks, Mike

Yup, exactly that. Can I rig it by myself? I am registered there and will post a question.

Thanks, Mike

Most of that will depend on how you setup your boat. If you scavenge a used rig that is a 40+ lb AL stick, then you might need a helper to step the mast. If you have a 22 lb carbon rig, then it's much easier to do yourself. Although this is a lot of boat to single hand. I plan to trailer my boat regularly and expect a 30-40 minute rig time once I get a system/method figured out.

Cheers, Kevin.

Hello Everyone!

I'm a rare poster on the forum, so lets get the important stuff over quick first!

1) Insult the boat I usually sail on

2) Insult my driving recored

3) Insult my mother

ok,

oh, 4) Insult me if it has been discussed already -

Anybody got a good idea what the PH(gag)RF rating for one of these would be on the SF bay?

HM

Hi everyone,

any news on how the i550 with the 49er rig is going?

i am very interested in building one and believe i can access a 49er rig quite easily.

also how are the packs for australia going, and if not does anyone know if the cad files can be provided such that i could get it laser cut myself?

regards

aron

australia

Tokyo,

can you shed some light on this?

fantastic job on ttb by the way. amazing effort.

aron

also ntman, why do you think it broke??

the section is too small, and really isnt tough enough. the 49ers have a hard time keeping them in their boats anyway. and the spreader base is far too narrow really. just flimsy all round. broke between gooseneck and lowers. they broke the rig in the squall on the saturday. where is australia are you aron?

well that rules that option out. maybe i can still use the sails for starters...

tokyo, im located on the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria. its getting a bit cold down here now.

i was just trying to work out rough initial costs and how i can afford this while still at uni... :)

i noticed that you commented on building the larger cockpit version if you did it again. are their any other changes that you would incorporate now ttb has had a bit of racing?

aron.

i noticed that you commented on building the larger cockpit version if you did it again. are their any other changes that you would incorporate now ttb has had a bit of racing?

aron.

That's a good question, aron! (while I'm still at this stage)

post-768-1242743090_thumb.jpg

Hello Everyone!

I'm a rare poster on the forum, so lets get the important stuff over quick first!

3) Insult my mother

ok,

Anybody got a good idea what the PH(gag)RF rating for one of these would be on the SF bay?

HM

I would expect a rating in the ballpark of the open5.70. The boats a very similar in size. They carry a little more sail up-wind and the i550 has a little more down wind with a masthead kite. The i550 has a narrower width at water line and a lighter keel bulb which will make it a little less stable then the open5.70 as well. I seem to remember that the Marina Del Ray fleet had a phrf rating of 148 or something like that. I know there was an initial rating and then an adjustment to it.

One thing to remember about a i550 is that when you invest the energy and time into building and figuring everything out you end up with a different perspective on the end result. It's not just a dollar figure you spent to have fun. It's something that you know inside and out.

Also, there is a builder in the bay area who should be making good progress at this point.

Kevin.

p.s. Jump in to the water, it's fine, we promise :-).

aron.

The longer cockpit let's you shift weight forward in the light stuff. It also has a nice open feeling. Some builders are flat decking their boats but I like the cabin and it will work well for the family too. If you pull the side panels back to a consistent 16 inches wide you get something like this...

post-18673-1242754380_thumb.jpg

18' skiff rigs have also been talked about as an option. They are certainly more plentiful in that part of the world then they are here.

Kevin.

Kmac, every time I look at this shot I can never figure out what's going on here (red arrow)...is the picture altered electronically here (inside the cabin trunk) for some reason?

post-768-1242760696.jpg

Hello Everyone!

3) Insult my mother

ok,

HM

Unfortunately PHRF Nor Cal requires minimum length of 19 ft and 400 lbs of ballast. Otherwise I would seriously think about building one.

PHRF of the Chesapeake doesn't look too thrilled about the i550 either.....although it may have given provisional approval to a 5P or 6P (way inshore/protected) to another class that doesn't have lifelines. I cant

remember too much about this, though.

But I think as SB3's, Vipers, minis, melges 20's and stuff begin to show up on weeknites, PHRF may begin to bend - or - Portsmouth numbers might be the way to go. Get 8 - 10 small sporties, leave PHRF and start a Portsmouth fleet nearby? As someone who is currently building, for some reason I'm not really too worried about PHRF...maybe I should be, but....

Kmac, every time I look at this shot I can never figure out what's going on here (red arrow)...is the picture altered electronically here (inside the cabin trunk) for some reason?

Well, there are no tricks up my sleeve on that one. I don't alter any of my photos other than cropping sometimes.

The roof is on but the foredeck isn't down yet. So from frame 18 back you see...

+ frame 18 in the front which is solid with a 6" inspection port in it. That's the hole in the middle. The prod sleeve is filletted in on the starboard side at the top (not visible). It will be sealed for a forward air tank.

+ frame 53 is holding up the front of the roof. There are small light slits that are the top of 53 and the bottom of the roof on each side.

+ just aft of frame 53 is a batten that is holding the front of the cabin flat. (it's 2 layers of 1/4" ply on edge which makes it pretty strong). That's why it looks straight across there instead of seeing the curve of frame 53.

+ frame 89 is not visible at except at the top in the center. It's tripled in the center where the compression post will be located.

+ frame 110 is the back of the cabin and has the companionway cut out in it. There is some resin on it but that's about it. It's about to get a fitted out for some cleats and thru decks for the prod deploy line and the spin halyard.

Kevin.

Hello Everyone!

3) Insult my mother

ok,

HM

Unfortunately PHRF Nor Cal requires minimum length of 19 ft and 400 lbs of ballast. Otherwise I would seriously think about building one.

Easy, 1 foot fixed sprit on the bow and make the keel 400 lb. You can build a 2nd keel later for the class legal length and the rules don't prohibit a fix sprit other than the maximum J measurement. And with 1 serious builder and a few others in the wings, you would be fleet racing pretty quickly it sounds like.

It's worth a thought anyway. Kevin.

Portsmouth numbers might be the way to go. Get 8 - 10 small sporties, leave PHRF and start a Portsmouth fleet nearby?

Ding, ding, ding... we have a winner. Portsmouth is a better way to rate the small sport boats.

Kevin.

+ just aft of frame 53 is a batten that is holding the front of the cabin flat. (it's 2 layers of 1/4" ply on edge which makes it pretty strong). That's why it looks straight across there instead of seeing the curve

bingo...that explains it.

couldn't figure out why that was straight...now it all makes sense, thanks.

we handful of SBs are racing 150 wallopers every sunday at the mo, and been doing so for years

tactically a faster smaller boat must steer around them to a great degree, which is do-able given your tacking down and up. 'buffalo girls' mantra

get near em and you increase your elapsed time, stay away and yr faster and won't hook up

mark roundings, ?? get in the line, NO '2 abreast' , if you get on their transom these blokes often leave a big enough gap to sail a truck thru anyways (or a handful of i550s?)

With respect, you are missing the point, G. The SBs are new here, and in mixed fleet racing you will see more pictures of the foregoing (and they weren't taken here). And yeah a faster SB has to sail around the lead mines, but the pic demonstrates not only what may happen, but also what will happen when SBs look for an advantage at a rounding with big boats when the two hit the mark at the same time.

Glad you have it all figured out, but dude, quit breaking my balls and open your eyes.

Portsmouth numbers might be the way to go. Get 8 - 10 small sporties, leave PHRF and start a Portsmouth fleet nearby?

Ding, ding, ding... we have a winner. Portsmouth is a better way to rate the small sport boats.

Kevin.

Well, there has to be a better way than PHRF. But beer can racing on the weeknights IS important to me, and all three of the clubs within beer can distance of where I live are PHRF spots.

Can anybody tell me the design ballast weight for the boat?

K

With respect, you are missing the point, G. The SBs are new here, and in mixed fleet racing you will see more pictures of the foregoing (and they weren't taken here). And yeah a faster SB has to sail around the lead mines, but the pic demonstrates not only what may happen, but also what will happen when SBs look for an advantage at a rounding with big boats when the two hit the mark at the same time.

Glad you have it all figured out, but dude, quit breaking my balls and open your eyes.

Bloody quotes!

Not that I should be seen as agreeing with Gybeset, but.. I think he was saying that there is no need to try and wind through, just wait a moment and a big hole will likely appear.

The Magics at our club that come storming in at the last expecting room (or at least putting the sensible people off) always end up in strife.

Sorry, if you did get what he said but you don't get it.

Oops, back to I550s.

max keel weight is 185, minimum weight of boat with rudder, keel, mast, standing rigging is 800 pounds (84 kg and 363.6 kg)

23 percent ballast to minimum weight.

However, the Keel can be as light as 150 pounds blade and bulb combined.

18.75 % Bal to Min wt.

And for those not frequenting the i550.org forums, TTB reports a new max velocity of 20.5 knots.

That young buck is putting the bar pretty high for all the rest of us. Jam on AC.

OK, this is a longshot, but... I was looking at this thread last week and saw some pictures on building carbon spreaders. I didn't bookmark it and now I'm trying to find it again. I used the search feature, but it didn't help. Anyone have pictures/descriptions of building spreaders? Sorry about the hijack, feel free to say fuck off.

pm me if you know where I can find the info.

thanks,

jack

OK, this is a longshot, but... I was looking at this thread last week and saw some pictures on building carbon spreaders. I didn't bookmark it and now I'm trying to find it again. I used the search feature, but it didn't help. Anyone have pictures/descriptions of building spreaders? Sorry about the hijack, feel free to say fuck off.

pm me if you know where I can find the info.

thanks,

jack

no worries, not a hijack!

You might have seen this shot, of the CF spreaders C-Tech (NZ) built for the 6 rigs they shipped to the U.S. earlier this month for 6 of the U.S. i550 builds? It wasn't a tutorial, just a photo of C-Tech's work.

post-768-1242845033_thumb.jpg

Tim, thanks for the quick reply, but that's not the pic I was looking for... The one I was looking for showed the spreader being layed up over a wood form and then being bonded to a mast rather than a sleeve. I guess I was in another topic when I saw it. I appreciate the help.

jack

We had the option of getting the spreaders loose from C-tech and then doing a fillet and tape with cabon fabric job to attach them to the mast. But chose to go with the ready to mount version pictured above. I don't recall the how-to on carbon spreaders go by but I was out for a couple of weeks.

Kevin.

cheers YD

typical of a forum when it appears like an argument whilst actually agreeing :)

Like you I said SBs must not look for an advantage at a mark, in fact get in line ! use the speed and size advantage as the panacea to the issue

As a less agreeable way of putting it if you line up a small collection of matchsticks and string between two Nautor Swans then .....

We have been doing this forever,

the holes will appear every time unless they've paid for a Russell Coutts type to steer their 'heavy equipment'

Waiting eagerly for a sailing pic of Aussie launch # 3 ( the green i550)

btw anyone have the standalone price of the C-tech spreader ?

Bare spreaders were $100 NZD each (not pair). Layed up on the collar ready to be fit to the mast (pictured above) they were $600. 900mm long. We chose to not get into the alignment and fitting hassle and ordered the completed units. I'm glad we did.

Kevin.

Yeah quotes, right, but the bloody photos demonstrated the problem that exists between SBs and wallopers (liked that) in mixed fleet racing, and that even if there is no need to wind through, some boats will try. The photos say so more eloquently than I can. Take another look.

Just to clarify, those photos were at the start, and we were looking ok until the larger 55 footer came sort of drifting down the line from windward and we wanted to stay clear ahead but he wouldn't go up and we didn't want to get too close, the leeward boat did a timed start from 30 sec out and kept winding up, so closed off any area down below, and so we ran out of space to go lower about the same time and then got stuck between them with no wind, since our boat is usually flatter, once they heeled over, then we got hooked, probably at no point closer than 2m from their gunwhale to ours, those runners hung out a long way.

Mark roundings, I've had less trouble, for starts we tend to start somethign more like this....works ok in a mixed fleet, and the i550s are going to have the same sort of issues in a mixed start also; if you end up to leeward of a faster boat that is invariably pointing higher, then you just get spat out the back.

For the spreaders, the advatnage of having them attached is that you don't have to worry about them ripping off the mast; after that incident, we did discover that the side affected, the epoxy glue had cracked, so the spreader was somewhat less attached to the mast; the thing to worry about is that the spreaders want to rip forward and let the mast section go back and the stays go forward, so if it breaks off....look out!

c-Tech says:

'I try and recommend Sparbond or some other Rubber toughened adhesive for gluing parts together.'

This is because you don't want the rigid join like what we had; when it super loads up like this, then it cracks off; rubber toughened apparently has marginally more 'give' to it.

Now that we are building Shaws in NZ, we no longer need to send the masts as a kitset and so the spreaders can be attached by C-Tech. We do actually have 1 spare set here though, if someone is flying through this way, can come to some arrangement. One of the masts got snapped being shipped up here and so we end up with one additional set of spreaders as a result.....

post-10131-1242874946_thumb.jpg

Bloody quotes!

Not that I should be seen as agreeing with Gybeset, but.. I think he was saying that there is no need to try and wind through, just wait a moment and a big hole will likely appear.

The Magics at our club that come storming in at the last expecting room (or at least putting the sensible people off) always end up in strife.

Sorry, if you did get what he said but you don't get it.

Oops, back to I550s.

Yeah quotes, right, but the bloody photos in post #288 demonstrate the potential problem that exists between SBs and wallopers in mixed fleet racing more eloquently than I can possibly describe. Even if there is no need to wind through, some boats will try. The big hole may not always be big enough. No disrespect to the red boat or its owner whom I have had some correspondence with. It doesn't look like he did anything wrong except get in between two big, less maneuverable, slower, boats, one of which hooked him. Strife, indeed.

Sorry if you can't see what happened. Keep looking. Maybe you will get it.

cheers YD

typical of a forum when it appears like an argument whilst actually agreeing :)

Like you I said SBs must not look for an advantage at a mark, in fact get in line ! use the speed and size advantage as the panacea to the issue

As a less agreeable way of putting it if you line up a small collection of matchsticks and string between two Nautor Swans then .....

We have been doing this forever,

the holes will appear every time unless they've paid for a Russell Coutts type to steer their 'heavy equipment'

Waiting eagerly for a sailing pic of Aussie launch # 3 ( the green i550)

Cheers GS, and no problem.

NA has not been mixing SBs and wallopers as long as you lucky bastiches have. I guess your fleets have it figured out, but SBs racing with big boats is going to be a major fooking revelation here, and it will take some time before manners are developed and the foregoing pictures become the exception and not the rule.

The i550 looks awesome. I wish I had the time and skills to build one, but alas.

The i550 looks awesome. I wish I had the time and skills to build one, but alas.

I think the skills part is the smaller hurdle with the i550, considering that the precut ply kits will get you started fast. The confidence factor is the bigger next step in the actual process of gluing the ply together.

All the Kool Aiders are of a single mind to "not leave a builder behind" as the more of us there are the more fun we all have. The accumulation of experience is remarkable to this point. The knowledge base too. Kmac has done a great job gathering information about carbon spars and shepherding an order of six through to their new homes. We expect it to continue with this pattern for quite a while.

The posts here and the blogs and posts on i550.org are adding to the body of knowledge of the group daily.

The TIME issue is the one that is the stickiest. Telling anyone how best to use their time when they have a bit of it to themselves ........ well lets just leave it at that. Ya gotta wanna.

An update on hull # ; a flurry of activity has taken us to #205 or #206. I don't know exactly. I'll have to check with our order center supervisor and get back to you.

We are seriously considering offering partially built and full build boats, so if you are interested PM us or contact us through the i550sportboat.com.

Timber

hull number #205 is coming to Australia.

it might be a while before we start construction but its definitely happening down under!

aron

Yeah quotes, right, but the bloody photos in post #288 demonstrate the potential problem that exists between SBs and wallopers in mixed fleet racing more eloquently than I can possibly describe. Even if there is no need to wind through, some boats will try. The big hole may not always be big enough. No disrespect to the red boat or its owner whom I have had some correspondence with. It doesn't look like he did anything wrong except get in between two big, less maneuverable, slower, boats, one of which hooked him. Strife, indeed.

Sorry if you can't see what happened. Keep looking. Maybe you will get it.

Yeah Dog saw what happened, but perhaps the thing that was a a little wrong was starting between those 2, I think Stevro said that he normally would be above.

Good luck keeping your I out of the way.

These little babies are a great concept... Hull looks like a cross between an old Cherub and a Star!

Must score very highly in the bang for your buck stakes....

Take the keel off, you could almost put one on the roof racks...

it might be a while before we start construction but its definitely happening down under!

aron

Where in Melbourne are you Aron?

Tim, if you're right, I have one VERY fast boat in my garage (which is very much for sale!) Kevin's REALLY expoiting the rules, but it may be a tad over the +/- 1" allowance.

Kevin, when do you plan to roll the boat over?

Nearly cut 222 into backing plates last week. Anyone interested, save (purchase, no give away) the boat from this butcher, it does deserve a safer owner/home.

PRoss, I can't imagine there's one iota of ugliness in that thing in your garage. You may be tad "eccentric," but you are one hell of an excellent builder! Stay healthy, bro.

Send me some recent pix and I'll pimp the boat on the nbay site!!!

sheer clamps on today!

post-768-1243210881_thumb.jpg

Do the forward canards on Pipe Dream hum at higher speeds? You might be able to forego the cost of a GPS if you can memorize the notes.

PRoss ; If its got a pointy end and is blunt opposite everything in between will be fine. If the girl is looking for a home then anyone reading this who wants an i550 should get in touch with you. A beauty is coming out of your shop.

T

aron

Where in Melbourne are you Aron?

Mornington Peninsula in Victoria

Kmac, I'm loving the platypus deck design! Ugly is fast. Hideous is just plain epic!

Well, the reality is that the prepped foredeck piece didn't fit. How it magically became 2" short in every dimension is beyond me. Luckily I had another sheet of material and quickly cut and prepped it. I cut the corners off so we could get around it and then we put it on and I thought "Platypus". I believe all my measurements with the Platypus deck were still within the rules.

I expect to roll the boat next week. I need to glass the cockpit sole and want to fit out the companion way first.

As more recent photos show, it's been a productive weekend!

post-18673-1243305791_thumb.jpg

post-18673-1243305766_thumb.jpg

Kevin.

p.s. Welcome to the gang Aron. Looking forward to seeing #205 take shape.

Great to see more I550s coming to the bay. I know of about 6 plan sets that are now in melbouren but as to home many end up building who knows. Timber Would it be posible to tell us how many are actually in Melbourne? Im just north of Frankston so if you need any help sing out!

Tim & Tim, great support!

Kevin, that boat is really taking shape and you have raised your own bar, great job.

Tim Ford, perhaps you can tell Timber how to use the global pin map to locate the i550 world builds? Tim has done an amazing job locating Evelyn 32's on the map which looks great. Maybe tag a hull # with build info and progress etc.?

Picture285.jpg

Picture289.jpg

Click HERE for more 222

Peter,

Crisp, spare, all the adjectives, nice build. Who could not want a boat as cool as the i550?

I *will* corespond with tford and get clewed up on sticking virtual pins where they need to go. We are updating the list and the SA front page pushed us to 210 plan sets out there.

Will get the Australia list together as well as regional US and others very soon.

Timber

Seems like we had a google map version with the push pinz, but it started clunking out and fouling up the webpage, if I remember correctly.

The thing I did for the Evelyn 32-2 map is much more rudimentary and not interactive and it's a pain in the butt to update (and it is in need

of updating right now, in fact). Ask someone like fireball matt or somebody who is good with this stuff, cos it aint me, babe, it aint me you're looking for.

babe.

post-768-1243348561_thumb.jpg

Seems like we had a google map version with the push pinz, but it started clunking out and fouling up the webpage, if I remember correctly.

Fireball Matt put up a google map that tried to automatically put pins in for registered users. The problem was the pins moved when you moved (say to work and then home again). The other problem is may builders are lurking or not even using the web, so they make it hard to know where all the plans are. For example, there's a boat being fit out with hardware in Atlanta right now. It would be great to see a picture of that boat. I'm sure google maps has a way to specify addresses or gps coordinates for the pins.

K.

Kevin, that boat is really taking shape and you have raised your own bar, great job.

Thanks. It's all starting to come together. And it's a fantastic feeling to see it as a boat.

Kevin.

Fireball Matt put up a google map that tried to automatically put pins in for registered users. The problem was the pins moved when you moved (say to work and then home again). The other problem is may builders are lurking or not even using the web, so they make it hard to know where all the plans are. For example, there's a boat being fit out with hardware in Atlanta right now. It would be great to see a picture of that boat. I'm sure google maps has a way to specify addresses or gps coordinates for the pins.

K.

I had started this a while back: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp...25d24fb6247ff24

Seems like it ought to work. I think you can place the pins based on an address, so they shouldn't move. TimR could supply hull#s and rough geogrpahic locations (cities) for those that are MIA on the interweb. Or not.

Jeff

I had started this a while back: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp...25d24fb6247ff24

Seems like it ought to work. I think you can place the pins based on an address, so they shouldn't move. TimR could supply hull#s and rough geogrpahic locations (cities) for those that are MIA on the interweb. Or not.

Jeff

Looks cool. Just needs about 202 more pins on it. We could list hull # with no other info for those that wish to not be contacted.

k.

That's great, owners who participate just need to do a profile as Jeff and Kevin have.

It is impossible to post the i550 for sale on Craigslist, it instantly attracts spam. Happens every time I try to post the boat there. Using the name i550 anywhere in the add attracts those spambots, real pain. Never happens posting other items. I want to target people with the name, don't want to post it as a "home built boat," it won't get the right people I don't think. Any suggestions, beyond buying an add here?

I''ve been bumping a thread over at Wooden Boat forums / design about the i550. They are real persickety about out and out selling & promoting but they may have a free classified section. Lots of lookers at the .org Start a thread that says "FOR SALE"

Add another one for Melbourne! Plans/Templates ordered today, factory being sorted out now. Will be launched in Willi. Building ASAP (want it in the water before summer) Pics of C-Tech rig? worth the whole hog or get a section from CST?

Add another one for Melbourne! Plans/Templates ordered today, factory being sorted out now. Will be launched in Willi. Building ASAP (want it in the water before summer) Pics of C-Tech rig? worth the whole hog or get a section from CST?

well done wobble. I know of 3 maybe 4 plans in Geelong. See you at the club tomorrow.

Have you made a decision on whether you want the long cockpit (predominant choice ) or the short cockpit with larger cabin top?

I will be cutting today so let me know.

Timber

Here's a pic of the spreaders mounted on the collar. C-tech does really nice work and you are much closer to them then we are. We'll have more to report on the rig soon. Ron in MN is getting close to launching and Jeff and I are working hard to get our boats in the water this summer. There are other i550's getting close to launch too. Should be a good summer :-)

post-18673-1243523893.jpg

Kevin.

so the ctech rig is single spreader Vs, No D1s? and TTB is twin spreader Vs,D1s,D2s? I know TTB is ally but Fuck they're has to be a big difference!

so the ctech rig is single spreader Vs, No D1s? and TTB is twin spreader Vs,D1s,D2s? I know TTB is ally but Fuck they're has to be a big difference!

Yes, c-tech rig is single spreader. Top meter is tapered tip. Vs from 6420mm to spreaders to CP. Spreaders at 3300mm. D1s from 3250mm to CP.

TTB's goldspar rig actually has 4 wires per side. Vs from tip to upper spreaders to CP, D1s from upper spreaders to lower spreaders to CP. D2s from lower spreaders to CP. D3s from the gooseneck to CP (keep the rig from pumping).

The biggest difference at this points is that TTB is very proven for the i550. The c-tech rig is a custom engineered carbon spar. Extra material to support the base while vang sheeting, a short tapered tip to support a masthead kite and other things too. It's very nicely made and we are looking forward to getting them stepped and sailing in the next month. Can't wait to share what we learn.

Kevin.

Wobbe, keep us updated to your progress and if you do end up going for the cst rig i would be really interested in pricing etc. We are located in Mornington and are planning to start in a month or so.

Regards

aron.

Yes, c-tech rig is single spreader. Top meter is tapered tip. Vs from 6420mm to spreaders to CP. Spreaders at 3300mm. D1s from 3250mm to CP.

TTB's goldspar rig actually has 4 wires per side. Vs from tip to upper spreaders to CP, D1s from upper spreaders to lower spreaders to CP. D2s from lower spreaders to CP. D3s from the gooseneck to CP (keep the rig from pumping).

The biggest difference at this points is that TTB is very proven for the i550. The c-tech rig is a custom engineered carbon spar. Extra material to support the base while vang sheeting, a short tapered tip to support a masthead kite and other things too. It's very nicely made and we are looking forward to getting them stepped and sailing in the next month. Can't wait to share what we learn.

Kevin.

Note. it has a SPUNSPAR tapered tip in it. and the rig is not a goldspar. its a DLYR rig (david lambourne yacht rigging) just to clarify ;) . i will be very interested to see if you keep these c-tech rigs in the boat, with only one set of spreaders and a masthead chute!! esp if you are going carry the same size chute we do.

Wobble, give us a call, or come and see me next time your working, a mate and i are looking at getting 2 kits router cut and a deal on ply.

yeah no worries pickles speak soon, we know what ply we want and where to get it, but will give u a call before we do anything. Seem to think TTB has a good point, considering the 2 T7s here have 3 spreader carbon rigs, can't see how a single one will work with a big chute, and we want to go BIG. At the moment it looks like the best (and cheapest) option may be a cst section same dimensions as c-tech, but probably 2 spreader, depending on what our local rig designer thinks will be needed- he knows what will work and what won't.

Seem to think TTB has a good point, considering the 2 T7s here have 3 spreader carbon rigs, can't see how a single one will work with a big chute, and we want to go BIG.

Wobble, Feel free to contact Alex at C-tech about our rig and what it's designed to handle. It's a pretty stout spare. I'm sure he would be happy to add a 2nd set of spreaders if that's what you wanted. Alex felt that what he designed will be up to the job. We'll share our experiences when we have some to share. Until then, we are all playing the waiting game (which sucks). In the mean time, good luck with your planning and building.

TTB, Thanks for clarifying you rig maker. I doubt I'll every fly as big of a chute as you do because I have a fixed prod and won't run as deep. But 40sqm of kite in 20 kts should be pretty kick ass fun no matter what.

Cheers, Kevin.

Only 40 SQM? It works out to be about 49 SQM or 530 SF with the standard rig and pole. Is that more like TTB has?

As every sail maker quotes the size differently it's a little challenging to compare the numbers. The most consistent number on sail quotes I got was 487sqft, which is 45.2 sqm. Sorry to sandbag my swag. Should be plenty of sail to get rocking and rolling. My boat will have a fixed prod where as TTB articulates his.

TTB will have to chime in with what he is using but I thought he had a 55 sqm runner kite and maybe a smaller reacher.

Kevin.

interesting to see how the single spreader rig goes, we just sailed on a mates T7 today (3 spreader carbon) in around 20 and 1 metre waves. Smoked the race with middle sized MH chute, went for a fun lap after, one of the owners dropped the tack in the piss on the hoist......and down she came. broke right under the middle spreaders. Good R&D for my boat though.....

interesting to see how the single spreader rig goes, we just sailed on a mates T7 today (3 spreader carbon) in around 20 and 1 metre waves. Smoked the race with middle sized MH chute, went for a fun lap after, one of the owners dropped the tack in the piss on the hoist......and down she came. broke right under the middle spreaders. Good R&D for my boat though.....

Really!

What boat?

That could be the first rig down!

.....Waiting for Paypal to clear so Susan and Tim can send plans and templates. Wobble and I want to get started. We have a corner of a friends factory set up, and best of all the concrete floor is perfectly level and the roof is high enough to step the mast. The (secret) location is perfect, just far enough away from the Yacht Club to dissuade time wasters from rubbernecking and just close enough for the really interested visitors with the all important extra pairs of hands.

Just slightly above D2 T balls, the carbon tube right under the RH spreader collapsed inwards in compression. There is a very slight tear in the fwd. root of the RH alloy spreader which looks to me like the trigger for the failure.

To me it looks like the welded alloy spreader base assembly is a little too narrow and needs to be a bit wider to spread the load over maybe another centimetre or Two of mast tube.

Walurs and Wobble,

Sounds like you are ready to rock and roll. Your build location sounds awesome too. Good luck and enjoy the figuring out of everything. I flipped my boat yesterday.

Kevin.