Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

Day 1 - The Battle Begins

Good morning race fans! Thanks for watching our presentation of On-The-Water Anarchy from the Volvo Melges 24 Worlds 2008, presented by Ullman Sails (that's a mouthful). You can see news and photos in a bunch of places, though we're partial to the Sevenstar SLAM website (wonder why). Official entry lists is at www.melges24worlds2008.com, and you all can feel free to link anything you want in here.

Just do us one favor: Go into your "My Controls" menu (top right) and then "Board Options" and then change the number of posts per page to 25 max. You can also "turn avatars off" and "turn signatures off." This will be a big help for speed of the site, and it will keep us from having to restrict the number of viewers or try other drastic measures to keep things rolling. I'm not that worried today - it's sunday, and sailors around the world are on the water themselves - but tomorrow will be nutty online, I'm sure. So thanks, and enjoy...

15 knots+ out of the East. That means lumpy seas and big downwind rides. Other than Mer getting seasick (a distinct possiblility), this should be amazing.

Here's a little interview with PRO Peter "Luigi" Reggio last night. Love that dude.

And here's some action from the dock, just a few minutes ago:

Dockside Interview

And another:

A quick note: If you have not yet registered as a member, do so. If you're not registered, you can't see the pictures and some of the videos, just filenames that you have to click on. That's annoying, so sign up.

Cheers - we're out of here, running for the media boat. This is going to be sweet!

From the RC " 01/06/2008 - 10:57

Good morning. Welcome to the first race day for the Melges 24 Worlds 208. The race committees are on station in races areas A and B. There will be two races today on each circle. The wind is from 110 to 120 at approximately 12 knots. It is expected that the racing will start on time."

We've got a course of 120 degrees, with a length of 2.0 miles. 6 minutes to a start, wind is already laying down a bit. Video on the way from pre-start, and we'll get you what we can.

So, that was interesting - the fleet was so bunched up on the right of this 1/3 mile long start that only one boat started to the left of the middle - Estonian boat 645, Zuxo. We've got the cutest little 10 year-old kid on board the media b oat today called Marcus - he was meant to race on Zuxu but got tossed because of some age rule that only 12 and older can race.

Lame.

Here's a prestart video.

Most of the fleet is banging out to the right, not a surprise given the forecast, the geographic effect of the land over there, and the importance of keeping starboard leverage going into what is one of the most crowded moments in grand prix racing - the first mark of a Melges Worlds.

Now this is getting incredibly interesting. The left - which was presumably so unfavored - is the only side that still has breeze. At the top mark we are down to less than five knots of breeze! New wind is coming in slowly, but less than five with 4 foot chop - this is going to be a hell of a mark rounding.

Here's your start - Course B, Race 1:

Rounding 1:

645 - Saetta

Pilot Italia

Altea

Full Throttle

Poizon Rouge

Mu

Norway New Deal

Snugs a bug

Maidollis

Acqua

Black Label

Franz Rocks

Gazoo

3 Italians in the top 3, Top US boat 4th.

Norway 307 with a nasty shrimping session - 5 minutes now and they've still got the kite around the keel. Poor bastards!

Gotta love this shit - wind is down to less than five, than up to ten, and a 50 degree lefty came through just before the leeward mark. Pics on the way.

From the official site:

Both courses started on time sailing course 4, 120 degrees at a distance of 2 miles. Both lines were clear at the start. The wind is approximately 12 to 14 knots.

The will be fewer postings to the live site today due to insufficient power on the race committee boat. We will try to correct this situation tomorrow.

Hey guys, if you need any hints on dealing with all the computers on board, let us know :)

Lasse Kjus, possibly the winningest ski racer in history, is second to last. He's taking time to get up to speed.

Race 1 photos - start and first rounding.

_MG_4879.jpg

IMG_5095.jpg

_MG_4887.jpg

IMG_5090.jpg

_MG_4889.jpg

_MG_5076.jpg

_MG_5062.jpg

_MG_4933.jpg

_MG_5050.jpg

_MG_4942.jpg

_MG_5043.jpg

_MG_4982.jpg

_MG_5029.jpg

_MG_4986.jpg

_MG_5013.jpg

_MG_4987.jpg

_MG_5011.jpg

_MG_4994.jpg

_MG_5008.jpg

The boats are coming in for a finish, sun's out, breeze is spotty as hell with puffs to 12 and lulls down to 5. Gonna be interesting to see who's out front!

Finish of race 1 in 5 knots with big messy lumps. Huge changes between the first top mark and the finish owing to the vastly changing conditions.

1- Helly Hanson

2- Pilot Italia

3- Poizon Rouge

4- Franz Rocks (first corinthian)

5- Full Throttle

6- Wolfpack

7- Bourgyes Telecom (Corinthian!!)

8- Maidollis

9- Sweaty Betty rolling the 10 just before the finish

10- Mu

11- Ka La Nui (That's Gunter Tsetlock, huge SA fan and a pal of ours)

12- Zig Zag

13- Snugsabug

14- Tre Valles

15- Czechs

Videos are loading - nice and quickly.

Hank Stuart to Luigi on the race channel: "Do you want me to come over and have a chat?"

Luigi: "Yeah, that's a good idea."

Wind is super light, seas are super lumpy, and the wind is all over the shop. There's also a big line of clouds coming in from the East, not sure what it'll bring. I'm afraid we may not see any racing for a bit...but videos are coming so hold tight.

Barbarians won the first race on the other course - Jamie Lea with owner Stu Simpson as well as sailing journalist and editor of offshorerules.com Justin Chisholm. John Pollard on Excellent took fifth, not sure where Strauss/Hardesty on Sevenstar were yet.

Just so you know, there are four "fleets" that have to sail against each other at least two times, so for instance Race 1 here was Orange and Blue, while race 2 will be white and blue. The white fleet just came over, with Pollard telling us about things, also Joe Fly, Sevenstar, Barbarians should be on their way over.

I'm attaching the official entry list with flag colors so you can see what I'm talking about.

M24_ENTRY_LIST_2008.pdf

Luigi: "We're just waiting a bit for the wind to stabilize, then we'll get you off. We're at around 10 knots of breeze now, maybe 100 degrees.

Course 4, 1.8 miles, direction 115 degrees. Wind is back up to 12 or so.

Mer is assembling a "hotties of Porto Cervo" feature later, but in the mean time, here's something for you:

5 minutes to the start!

A gift from duty free:

31052008005.jpg

31052008007.jpg

Mer is assembling a "hotties of Porto Cervo" feature later, but in the mean time, here's something for you:

5 minutes to the start!

A gift from duty free:

More !

AP back up after a 30 degree lefty with one minute to go. a 150 foot + Perini just came by with his own helicopter and RIB following. Sick display of wealth. Our driver, a local Capitano, just said that the Perinis are "one meter = one million Euro"

Crazy.

There's the six minute - wind is back up to 15+, seas are a washing machine! We've got newspaper and TV crew from three Italian pubs and one Norwegian station, those guys are going to show us around Oslo when we get up there.

Start is uploading - just about 8 boats off to the right, seems to be more breeze out here for sure, while Joe Fly and the top Italian Ullman boat are playing the middle right. We're following along.

Interesting watching the lone jury boat buzzing around, looking for potential crossings on the way to the top mark

Top boats are working the shifts up the middle right now. Strauss is looking pretty good, as is Joe Fly, but I think that Pollard is in front at the moment.

Sevenstar and the boats that held the middle left a bit longer are looking really good - Joe Fly got out of phase, going over to the right a bit earlier, and now they've lost ten boats or so. .3 to the top mark, we're going to be downwind of the fleet so won't have all the info for you, but we will be at the bottom for some carnage in this breeze.

Speaking of breeze, it's dying again up the course. WTF?

So - US32Wet, I found a dude that I thought was the crew you mentioned, but he looked at me like I'm crazy. "Bill who?"

I had another drink

_MG_5314.jpg

_MG_5302.jpg

_MG_5293.jpg

_MG_5288.jpg

So - US32Wet, I found a dude that I thought was the crew you mentioned, but he looked at me like I'm crazy. "Bill who?"

I had another drink

Don't most people look at you as if your crazy!

Look around for them they will be by the bar.

Around the top mark, set and drift into no breeze - literally spins are collapsing on both courses now. This wind must be making some of these folks psychotic.

Saetaa

Czech

Norwegian 554

Full Throttle

Fish Dog

Poizon rouge

Madoliss

Lenny (Estonians)

Sevenstar SLAM in 14th, just behind Barbarians, I think. Headed to bottom mark now, lead boats on the right are getting some worries as the tail end, who've all gybed, finds new breeze.

Bottom mark:

Saetta

OnlineSIMfirebolt

Full Throttle

Fishdog

Poizon Rouge

Terra NORWAY whatever

Lenny

Give me 5

Maidollis

Secret Mens Business

Melnose (with Ullman Sails Italy Paolo Soldana at the helm)

SEvenstar SLAM

MACS

Franz Rocks

Cote d'amour

Joe Fly is buried!

Judge just blew a whistle for a Rule 18 on ITA 598, they're doing their circles.

Don't most people look at you as if your crazy!

Well, yeah - I guess there's that.

I actually overheated my aircard. Never done that before. The heat is shutting my uploads down for some reason...

Headed to the finish now - there will be a bit of a delay in getting our pics and video up so that we can get you the real time results for the top 20 boats at the finish. Pretty sure they'll only run the two races today.

Boats are up on a plane now coming down to the finish...

Checking in from the BVI....great work guys.....If you can track down Mickey Schwartz for me (he's with Pollman).....tell him to get a hair cut

Finish - top 20:

Saetta

OnlineSIMFirebolt

Full Throttle

Terra whatever norway

Poizon Rouge

Fishdog

Give me 5

Lenny

Cote D'Amour

Franz Rocks

Alfa Romeo Spider

Secret Mens Business

Maidolliss

Mellnose

Sevenstar SLAM

Bourgyes Telecom

MACS

Zig Zag

Mai TECH

O Tomate

Noteables: Joe Fly - below 30, Excellent (Pollard - or pollman>>>) 28th.

The other course is barely finished up - not sure if they had a longer race or what. We're headed to the dock so we can get these videos loaded up.

Just jumped back to the room to get the videos up. There are a few glaring errors in two videos.

Just noticed Juggy - HEY BRO!!!

Give me a few and I'll get 'em up.

Alright, vids are loading now, somewhat slowly. My shiny new aircard has been working overtime and is a little beat. Everyone I talked to on the way back here told me the same story - crazy, crazy conditions. 17 knots at the start, 2 at the top mark, clouds with no breeze under them, 45 degree shifts...

Monsoon had a hard day, Gazoo a bit better I think, but both were mentally spent.

Results are up but they are going to change a bit. Pilot Italia, who took three bullets in the Pre-worlds, got a 1 and a 2. They weren't scored for some reason, so they are figuring it out right now.

Some disappointed folks on Joe Fly, Monsoon, Sevenstar, and a number of other real contenders.

Real start, even though I thought I heard a general recall blown, because I'm a dumbass.

I definitely know how annoying it is to watch these very washed out vids - apologies for not figuring out how to work this little camera. White balance is what I've been screwing around with, with little improvement.

Norwegian TV crew almost eats it getting on skiing legend Lasse Kjus's boat.

I'm getting all mixed up with the videos.

I talk to Bruce Ayres, then pull a total stoner move and confuse him with the dude standing next to him - Doug Clark. Ayres owns and helms Monsoon, and Clark is driving for Geoff Pierini, with Anthony Kotoun and Chuck Norris rounding it out. Pierini looks like he's dropped a ton of weight for this event, and seems really determined.

Great coverage, Clean - thanks for the effort and the good commentary.

Bit of color - skipper US Alex Shafer (Sweaty Betty, 9th in first race) is fresh from winning the US Multihull Championship last month. He's a terrific example of cross-over talent between catamarans and monohulls like scows and Melges 24/32s.

Great coverage, Clean - thanks for the effort and the good commentary.

Bit of color - skipper US Alex Shafer (Sweaty Betty, 9th in first race) is fresh from winning the US Multihull Championship last month. He's a terrific example of cross-over talent between catamarans and monohulls like scows and Melges 24/32s.

I guess M24 and multi is fairly similar , at least in term of hunting pressure downwind

So I'm here at the regatta also and let me tell to this is the oddest sailing I've done in a while. There are 2 race circles and we had to sail one race on each yesterday. Both races we went from top 10 to bottom 10. In the second race we started in 20 knots and then 3/4 up the beat the wind died and then half of the fleet set the kite for 2 min. and then took them down rounded the mark and re set them in 15 knots. Just odd! There were some large squall clouds rolling through and it made it super tough to figure out which one to sail towards. In the first race they were moving over the course so fast that it sucked the air out of the whole course except for the very edges.

Technical glitch ? - no updates today here - melegs24worlds2008.com has results

Technical glitch ? - no updates today here - melegs24worlds2008.com has results

You are a little late. Today is (was) Day 3.

You are a little late. Today is (was) Day 3.

Am I being dense - there are no posts for June 3rd ?

June 3 was no wind, though we had plenty of posts. Todays are here.