Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

Day 4 - Sudden Death in the Mistral

Race 1 today in 20 knots + from the NNW will decide who is in the silver fleet and who are the golden children. Then they're in for as long as it takes to get the protests and splits done, then they're back out for either one or two more, depending on how quickly they can get out.

Our local capitano says 40 knots tomorrow....and he's not going out.

Morning Clean..morning Mer....i was listening to the shipping forcast for UK costal waters this morning....up north the number 10 was mentioned...as in storm force.....mmmmm....windy !!

great day yesterday...you both did a stirling job....we have sun in Bristol in the Uk....what about you..is the sun out ?

shark

Masavantes is not sailing for some reason, looks like they're heading in. Both starts getting ready to go. So far we had a LOT of carnage yesterday. Couple of masts needed replacing, couple of forestays blown apart, kites shredded

We can see course B first beat from here, and Mer's scoping the boats out with her big lens. From here, it looks like the leader is Saetta.

Bourgyes Telecom right there with Saetta on Course B.

Our start just went off, Joe Fly at the boat end with both Czech boats to weather but behind. If the left pays like yesterday, not sure if that's where they really want to be.

Joe Fly is punched out with Brantolo at the boat end.

Harry Melges talks about his broken sprit...

Top mark, Course A

1) Joe Fly

Pillot Italia

Monsoon (GO CALI)

Alina HH

Online SIM Firebolt

Cotes D'armor

Marchingenio

Sevenstar SLAM

Mallnose

Atena

Zerotwo

Torpyone

Acqua

Unsponsored (female helm)

The only female helm at Worlds chats...

Start, Race 6

A look at the Cantiere Cervo (shipyard)

Bottom mark, course B - some great carnage

Uka Uka

Saetta

Wolfpack

Full Throttle

Brantolo

Riverstone

Bourgyes Telecoms

Poizon Rouge

Alfa Spider

Blu Moon

Aqua Racing

Barbarians

Tres Valle

Rat Pack

RETTRUNDT

Franz Rocks

Music 55

Joe Fly gets passed on the upwind by Pilot Italia and Alina Helly Hanson, Monsoon down to fifth, with Sevenstar SLAM riding their asses around the mark. Full roundings:

Alina HH

Pilot Italia

JF

ONLINE SIM FIREBOLT

Monsoon

Sevenstar SLAM

Marchingenio

Mallnose

Cotes D'Armor

EtaBeta ( did a 360 at the mark and lost their spot to Cotes, also were partying with us last night - hilarious guys)

Secret Mens Business

Atena

Torpyone

Westaway

Blow

Acqua

Zerotwo

The cream is rising to the top in this breeze. Five leg race, they're finishing them upwind so that everyone is closer to the harbor.

Bottom Mark, last rounding, Course B

Uka Uka

Saetta

Brantolo

Full THrottle

Blu Moon - catching up fast!

Bourgye Telecoms

Poizon Rouge

Alfa Spider

Uka Uka (lorenzo bressani) is so far ahead on Course B that it's silly. Great job from our dock neighbors and dead serious racing team.

Course A coming to the finish - Alina Helly Hanson will win with Joe Fly in second, and then three boats all within a second of each other right now...way to close to call. Hang in for the finish.

Here's an earlier video that finally uploaded...

And a bottom mark from the other course:

Finish:

Helly Hanson

Joe Fly

Monsoon

Pilot Italia overlapped with Sevenstar SLAM too close to call

Marchingenio

Online SIM firebolt

Mellnose

Eta Beta

Westaway

Secret Mens Business

Cotes D'Armor

Blow

Altea

Eurovoiles

MACS

Torpyone

Atena

Terra Whatever

Acqua

Bressani is incredible! Wherever he sails he is at the top places!

What's incredible is the parity of all those guys: Bressani, Zandona, Celon, Favini, etc. etc. etc.

The Italians have brought a whole new game to the Melges 24, and based on an interview we just did with the delectable Rachel from italian satellite tv, the interest in the class in Italy is at an all-time high.

Good stuff.

One of the boats just went up on the rocks as we entered the port. One crew jumped off to fend the boat from the rocks, and he got it done, but then he got stuck on the cliff. Thank god it's so deep right up to the dock here, boat should be OK once they get their crew back.

Riverstone was the name of the boat.

_MG_7463.jpg

_MG_7551.jpg

_MG_7592.jpg

_MG_7625.jpg

_MG_7665.jpg

_MG_7714.jpg

_MG_7761.jpg

_MG_7784.jpg

_MG_7804.jpg

_MG_7825.jpg

IMG_7455.jpg

IMG_7902.jpg

IMG_7945.jpg

Interview with the very tasty Rachel, of www.yachtandsail.it, talking about sailing on TV in italy.

Finish, race 6 - TOO CLOSE TO CALL!

And a bottom mark from the other course:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="

</param> <embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Ah, lil miss leo, she so modest! ;-) New Wave won the Corinthian world title in Key Largo, so her and Marty are no slouches... Hi to you and Merideth too, loving the coverage, looks like a blast - gutted not to be out there...

Cheers,

Fred (ex Barbarian)

Full Throttle's broken sprit. They sailed another leg with this mess before jury-rigging it for the third race yesterday.

SANY0379.jpg

Estonians with a lovely sprit-sized hole - not from Full Throttle either. Plenty of contact yesterday.

The most ostentatious RIB ever built?

Mistral means that it's time to check on the jib. Sucks to have it come in two pieces.

SANY0380.jpg

SANY0384.jpg

SANY0386.jpg

What's incredible is the parity of all those guys: Bressani, Zandona, Celon, Favini, etc. etc. etc.

The Italians have brought a whole new game to the Melges 24, and based on an interview we just did with the delectable Rachel from italian satellite tv, the interest in the class in Italy is at an all-time high.

Good stuff.

My comment on italians helmsmen:

Gabrio (Zandoná) is a genius, can be the best, but unfortunately in some races... I don´t what happen, maybe he risks too much and he is not in the top ten (see also in 470).

Celon is not constant also,

Favini: yes he can be the alternative to Bressani, but some mistakes yestarday.... crew or something else?

Bolzan: I dind´t expect he was so good, he can be the future

Valerio is always at top with strong wind, if wind continues so, he can win.

Bressani is incredible in every condition, in every class, he doesn´t risk too much, he is constant and his tactic (Checco Bruni) is the best ever.

Awesome pictures Clean. Why are you so silent about yesterday evening/night?

Thanks. As in the past, there just ain't shit going on here at night. I had a couple drinks with Carlo, and then went to prepare for today, then to bed. I don't expect much in the way of festivities - but damn, the racing is awesome.

Hey Fred - Leo is very cool, and just as cute as a button. Sweaty Betty ain't no Barbarians though. I think the Barbos are first GBR boat now. I'm going offline for a bit to write a press release.

Just an update: Acqua, which blew out their forestay yesterday, broke their mast today. They are rigging a new one with all possible dispatch.

I see are working very hard. Apreciate it a lot. Wish we could get the Melges going in Holland.

It takes a few dedicated guys to get a fleet like this going - you just have to talk to people who've done it in the past. The boat sells itself - class people just have to get the word out, ya know?

Just a few protests, and the time limit for filing is in about 20 minutes, so we should be back out on the water by 3 pm local.

We're just waiting on the dock for the protests to end and the splits to come in. Wind is absofuckinglutely ripping right now. 30 knots easy. One Sardinian said he thinks the mistral will blow 40 tomorrow.

Damn!! 30+. gotta love it. How did FT bust there bow sprit?? Went to Worlds in '05, parties weren't too good either. I think for Worlds next year, that should be the focus.

U R right Mr. Clean, the Italians have taken it to another level. They will be hard to beat this year. Sailed with them in '05. Lots of yelling. They kept repeating on phrase over and over. How do you say "stupid american" in Italian. lol

Damn!! 30+. gotta love it. How did FT bust there bow sprit?? Went to Worlds in '05, parties weren't too good either. I think for Worlds next year, that should be the focus.

U R right Mr. Clean, the Italians have taken it to another level. They will be hard to beat this year. Sailed with them in '05. Lots of yelling. They kept repeating on phrase over and over. How do you say "stupid american" in Italian. lol

It's a shame, because Santa Cruz went all out on the parties. Hyeres was nothing, but a great town, and Largo was the most elitist kind of shithole with just basic drinks after racing. On one hand, I think the various National Classes (who organize the parties) have been lazy, and on the other, I think that the organizers don't necessarily think that they need to do much, since everyone's coming anyway.

I'm pretty sure that you guys are going to set the standard for the social part of a Melges Worlds next year. You'd fucking better.

It's a shame, because Santa Cruz went all out on the parties. Hyeres was nothing, but a great town, and Largo was the most elitist kind of shithole with just basic drinks after racing. On one hand, I think the various National Classes (who organize the parties) have been lazy, and on the other, I think that the organizers don't necessarily think that they need to do much, since everyone's coming anyway.

I'm pretty sure that you guys are going to set the standard for the social part of a Melges Worlds next year. You'd fucking better.

We're taking note...more parties at the 09 Worlds! Trust me...we're working on kicking it off right, to include another kickin' Melges Rocks party.

Racing was just called off for the rest of the day. Wind is 22-28 knots, with gusts to 35. Sea state is atrocious out there, according to Hank Stuart, who's been bashing around for the last hour keeping an eye on it. Oh, well - that means interviews and drinking.

I just spoke with Luigi ten seconds ago.

Peter: "The sea state is brutal, and sending them out in this would get very expensive very quickly. We've amended the SIs again, and we'll send them out early both days. We'll shoot for three races, though Friday's last race can't be run after 3 PM, and we don't want to amend that as many people make airplane and ferry plans based on that time.

"Tomorrow's forecast calls for 25 knots - a bit more than we had when we started this morning, but Commander's says it should be more stable, with no building and perhaps some moderating."

Keep checking in on us - we've got plenty more to show you, and Mer's done a few interviews. Besides having a less annoying voice than me, she's much funnier.

We'll start with a video of Team Acqua's mast problems...again.

We're taking note...more parties at the 09 Worlds! Trust me...we're working on kicking it off right, to include another kickin' Melges Rocks party.

Good. I personally think the IMCA should be a bit embarrassed that the off-the-water festivities are more fun at a J/24 Nationals than they are here. You should see the set-up that the Italian J/24 guys put on for their Nationals just up the road - we are thinking about checking out their setup for Worlds in a few days if we have the time. Of all the things that are tough about getting sponsors to cough up dough, the easiest sell always seems to be a party, because they can bring their employees to it, and make it a corporate thing.

I told IMCA president and SAer Gunter what I thought - and he agreed. The Estonian class rep that's been with us also agrees, and he's helping to organize the 2010 worlds in Estonia. It'd be nice for the events to be at the same kind of standard that the racing is. Alright - off my soapbox.

Brian Hutchinson chats about his 57th place "Storm" team. He and Brian Janney are good friends, and friends of the site, and they're not accustomed to being at the ass-end of any fleet. Hutch sailed with Pegasus and was a huge part of the team's success, as well as being responsible for inventing what's probably the single most important piece of gear for Melges crew - the Hutch hiking aid. Janney sails with Terry Hutchinson aboard Quantum Racing, and has the perfect personality - just as chill as can be.

Check it.

Thanks. As in the past, there just ain't shit going on here at night. I had a couple drinks with Carlo, and then went to prepare for today, then to bed. I don't expect much in the way of festivities - but damn, the racing is awesome.

Welcome to serious racing. Some cocktails and a good dinner then to bed early. Nobody wants to be the one who holds the team back. FYI it was blowing over 25 all this past weekend in Santa Cruz....Nobody was worried about finding a bar when the club did last call at 9:45.

Mer goes searching for the Sevenstar SLAM boys.

Welcome to serious racing. Some cocktails and a good dinner then to bed early. Nobody wants to be the one who holds the team back. FYI it was blowing over 25 all this past weekend in Santa Cruz....Nobody was worried about finding a bar when the club did last call at 9:45.

That may be the perspective of the top quarter of the fleet, but so far nearly everyone who's here has echoed our comments about the parties. You have to remember that the semi-serious corinthian racers are the lifeblood of the fleet, and they're on their vacation. Besides, guys from Monsoon, Sevenstar, Barbarians, Westaway and a number of top level Euro boats have all wondered why this fleet rates such weak parties.

Teams from all over the damned planet came to Puerto Vallarta for the Mexican J/24 Worlds two years ago - from a lot more countries than are here - and every night there was another amazing party. The difference wasn't "serious racing." It was a national class and organizers (Mike and Leah Danielsen) who gave a shit, and wanted everyone to tell their friends how amazing the class and venue was.

Just because it's done poorly in other places doesn't mean it should be accepted.

Good. I personally think the IMCA should be a bit embarrassed that the off-the-water festivities are more fun at a J/24 Nationals than they are here. You should see the set-up that the Italian J/24 guys put on for their Nationals just up the road - we are thinking about checking out their setup for Worlds in a few days if we have the time. Of all the things that are tough about getting sponsors to cough up dough, the easiest sell always seems to be a party, because they can bring their employees to it, and make it a corporate thing.

I told IMCA president and SAer Gunter what I thought - and he agreed. The Estonian class rep that's been with us also agrees, and he's helping to organize the 2010 worlds in Estonia. It'd be nice for the events to be at the same kind of standard that the racing is. Alright - off my soapbox.

Agreed, the J24 Class for the most part always has a better social aspect off the water and it seems the competitors enjoy it more! That's part of what has kept me in the class for the past 10 years, though I've also been sailing the Melges since 1996 and have competed at both the J24 Worlds and Melges Worlds (last in 05 - Ocean Reef). It would be great to see the USMCA and IMCA put a greater focus on off-the-water festivities...that's what make a class traditionally very strong...look at the Thistle or Lightening Classes.

Regarding the Italians....they are very fast sailors but my experience against racing them at the World's is that they push the rules too hard and gets them in trouble with on the water jury every time!

Clean, keep up the great work and enjoy the rest of the week!

Thanks Mr and Mrs C for the coverage, great pics and vids. Sorry to hear about the parties but I have to go to bed at the end of this dark and stormy, I will catch the rest of the news tomorrow morning at work.

Joe Fly is punched out with Brantolo at the boat end.

Harry Melges talks about his broken sprit...

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="

</param> <embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

thanks for that clean....got an e mail from the boys saying they broke it...wondered how it happened....know i know due to your incredible reporting..ok enough blowing smoke up your ass...more footage of the chickas please!

petey

That may be the perspective of the top quarter of the fleet, but so far nearly everyone who's here has echoed our comments about the parties. You have to remember that the semi-serious corinthian racers are the lifeblood of the fleet, and they're on their vacation. Besides, guys from Monsoon, Sevenstar, Barbarians, Westaway and a number of top level Euro boats have all wondered why this fleet rates such weak parties.

Teams from all over the damned planet came to Puerto Vallarta for the Mexican J/24 Worlds two years ago - from a lot more countries than are here - and every night there was another amazing party. The difference wasn't "serious racing." It was a national class and organizers (Mike and Leah Danielsen) who gave a shit, and wanted everyone to tell their friends how amazing the class and venue was.

Just because it's done poorly in other places doesn't mean it should be accepted.

Agree with ya Clean. out of 100+ boats, you have about 20 or 30 that are probably contenders. In that case, they better go to bed early, cause they are getting paid to win. As for us bottom feeders, thats 70 boats that are corinthian times 4 per boat, thats 200 sailors that want to do what sailors do, party your ass off and sail against the best sailors in the world. I also think that nightly parties brings the class together. I have been to some of the J24 parties and those guys (and gals) are sick. They love there class and the sailors in them. The M24 parties should be seen and strengthening the class, not impeding it. With party man Bill Carlton, district govenor, heading up the activities next year, there are bound to be some parties that will be off the hook. BILL, DON'T FORGET THE CHICKS!

CLEAN-

Great reports, great "people" interviews. Very* well done.

Have a good Wednesday night in the bar. Keep your camera handy.

We take our sailing and partying very seriously here in Santa Cruz! I've still got a bone to pick with that Pusser's Rum guy. The 2 oz. bottle of rum I won for finishing in 50th place on the day was empty!

Dave E

SCYC

USA 330 "Trailblazer"

The Joe Fly guys partied hard in Santa Cruz. There was a big increase in the birth rate here nine months after they left!

The Joe Fly guys partied hard in Santa Cruz. There was a big increase in the birth rate here nine months after they left!

That's why Fiona's explanation that "We've found that the attendance at the parties is poor" just didn't sound right. I know too many of these guys - and almost all of them party, even when they are lying in first place. They don't stay out until 1 AM, but they have a good time.

Gunter's explanation made more sense: The National Class associations are responsible for the social stuff, and either there was a miscommunication here (and in Key Largo, and in Hyeres, and in etc...), or the Italians dropped the ball. Considering it's a country with a well-deserved reputation for great food, drink, and merrymaking, it's all a bit weird. I have full confidence that Bill will see that 2009 sees a new era in Melges 24 World Championship parties. Once the standard has been set, it will be a matter of pride for the Estonians, and then probably the Aussies, to meet that standard, or better.

I'd have to agree with everyone about the parties. I've been to better parties with the 'old fogies' as they call themselves at local US NOODs and regattas such as Big Boat Series by the sounds of it. As a fellow M24 sailor I'd say bring the worlds (or at least nationals) out here to Hawaii. Think about it, its always warm, the sailors out here can party, the chicks are hot, its warm, breezy as all hell all year round (mostly)......did I mention its warm?