Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editor

Some Thing

FT12.8M

Hiptrader, China Factory Hansheng Yachts

Bob Perry / Ben Soquet Design

Looks like the FT 12.5.

But how does that roach get past that backstay?

sailed a boat with a new main like that. huge roach. it gets through in breeze. you just need to ease the backstay in lower wind.

sick looking tiger.

Hmm.

Actually, if it is 44 feet, that is more like an FT 13.5!

Another POS to further dilute the one design classes and move this sport closer to PHRF so ya'll can bitch on the web more than actually sail?

What do I win?

Another POS to further dilute the one design classes and move this sport closer to PHRF so ya'll can bitch on the web more than actually sail?

What do I win?

Get off the PHRF or handicap thing.. There has never been a real one design ever!! Just go to any worlds, NA's or local one design fleet and check out the measuremets!

That was too easy.

FT 13.4

Whats next sot speedboat in newport??

Get off the PHRF or handicap thing.. There has never been a real one design ever!! Just go to any worlds, NA's or local one design fleet and check out the measuremets!

Clearly you don't know how the last couple Laser Oly trials boats were selected. Keep trying.

Whatever it is it's going to be a bitch to tack in the light stuff with that roach and no batten on the backstay!!!

The Coachroof is a little like a Humphries - Nice though - Fast & Wet

pedestal on a 44" boat without a genoa? hmmmm....

Seems like a good idea to me - for starters it can be linked into the main for roundups/gybes, and secondly it makes kite gybes a hell of a lot easier. The GP42s have them, and as far as I'm concerned, they'd be an improvemnt for F45s and Swan 45s while we're at it.

The designers should definitely design this to rate well on IRC. It will be tough to get a big fleet in one area at this size so a competitive IRC rating would make it a great boat. That's one area where the FT10 loses out.

I agree with the meaning of numbers in China. When Alfa Romeo produced 164, they had to call it 168, for far eastern clients.

With all the drooling over this boat, I ask you - since the Chinese have shown no restraint in poisoning our pets (with melamine in dog food), our children (with lead and cadmium in toys) and those with clotting problems (with contaminated heparin), shouldn't we expect they will be cutting corners in their boats? Would you trust a Chinease boat with your life?

Do not touch ! It is my new boat !

Read the small words - it is DAVIS

damn you're right...the drawing is signed.... good catch...

Drawing is signed not by the naval architect, but by the illustrator: Steven Davis. He does out-sourced rendering work.

The cove stripe looks like Bob Perry drew it. I think the FT guesses are correct. The 12.8 apparently grew a little!

Drawing is signed not by the naval architect, but by the illustrator: Steven Davis. He does out-sourced rendering work.

The cove stripe looks like Bob Perry drew it. I think the FT guesses are correct. The 12.8 apparently grew a little!

Hey Ed, what do I win for catching that one?

I agree.

Do not touch ! It is my new boat !

Read the small words - it is DAVIS

Moving up and on from us? :huh:

Who, what, where.

Looks like a Quest 44?

I vaguely remember something happening with Lyman Morse in this range, though I don't see it on their website. Looks similar to what I remember.

That thing reeks of FT/Bob Perry!

Island Packet 44HS (high speed)

This is their new and more modern cruiser. They have updated their bowsprit to a more modern design and made other minor changes to make the boat a little more efficient.

With all the drooling over this boat, I ask you - since the Chinese have shown no restraint in poisoning our pets (with melamine in dog food), our children (with lead and cadmium in toys) and those with clotting problems (with contaminated heparin), shouldn't we expect they will be cutting corners in their boats? Would you trust a Chinease boat with your life?

I should not respond, but it seems to me that

1. There are plenty of examples of US companies selling nasty stuff, both here and overseas.

2. There are over a BILLION Chinese people. Seems like perhaps we should not lump them all together.

Does the rudder fall off?

No, it is not a Swan.

Does the keel break off at the hull? No, it is not a J boat.

Does the bulb fall off? No, it is not a Melges.

we just poison them with our bad BEEF! Mad CoW and the US Banking system.

it is the US companies in China who are specing the toys that are doing the issues. They were too cheap to run the material testing on the paints.

go buy some good food for you dog and spend more then a dollar on you kids toys.

There are some bad stuff coming out of China and there is some good stuff coming out of China. As a consumer you should be able to tell. If it is too cheap to be real.

I trust produced products everyday. But I was there when it was BUILT and spec the materials, ran the testing with a independent lab. ect..

Good grief, these things are all looking the same, low freeboard, T keel, high aspect rudder, sprit, fractional rig bla bla bla bla bla. How about something new?

ss

That Tri-color up on the mast better be Carbon and LED or I want my deposit back...

Good grief, these things are all looking the same, low freeboard, T keel, high aspect rudder, sprit, fractional rig bla bla bla bla bla. How about something new?

ss

I agree - a plumb bow, asy pole and sail, and call it a sport boat. Are naval architects/designers as slow on the uptake as car designers? Must everything new look like everything before it? What's below - and what "comforts" does one get?

As ShortStick notes ..... Bla, Bla, Bla ............. :blink:

nroose,

I sail a 38 footer like this and the backstay has a fastpin in it... you just take it off and clip it to the lifeline...

damn, if i didn't know better i'd say it was a rodger martin design similiar to the aerodyne's

If the rigging needs replacement, if the engine compartment doors float away, if the mast step breaks, if the transom cracks, if the furler doesn't work, if the rudders fall apart....

then, I think I know who the builder is......

there is a pedastal in the one ed gave us not on that POS you posted

my guess is FT 14

And all that wood, and the different position of the forestay, and the different shape of the main cabin window, and the forward swept keel, and the Lidgard sails, and the WaterRat rudder, and the 3/4 rig, and the, the different rocker, and the different lines, and as you said, that hideous tiller shaped like a cello neck....

Oh my god, I own a POS!!!!!

Must be my taste in custom boats, no?

:o

Hmm, lets see.....

Cabin has a window.....not a Farr

Hull shape not right for a Reichel/Pugh

Definitely not a J Boat

I would say it could be a new Lidgard design out of New Zealand, but I don't think they have the funds to build another race boat

It does resemble a Flying Tiger........

I'm gonna say a new boat from the designer of the FT.

And all that wood, and the different position of the forestay, and the different shape of the main cabin window, and the forward swept keel, and the Lidgard sails, and the WaterRat rudder, and the 3/4 rig, and the, the different rocker, and the different lines, and as you said, that hideous tiller shaped like a cello neck....

Oh my god, I own a POS!!!!!

Must be my taste in custom boats, no?

:o

way to be mature

I would go with a Mark Mills design from looking at the hull and cabin top a smaller version of the DK46, or sprited version of what he presented to the NYYC for their 1/D class a couple of years ago.

Hi Paul:

What's going on here?

I am amazed that some people can tell so much about a boat from a two dimensional sail plan.

Looks like a nice boat to me. Maybe some hull lines would tell us more.

way to be mature

Perhaps I was overreacted across some line of polite society, but first post was meant initially as leetle joke- Perry boat, ergo mystery boat= Flying Tiger.

My boat is not a POS.

Paul :ph34r:

So the Ed hasn't jumped in to say who won. Does that mean we still don't know what it is? I haven't got a clue.

Bob, funny you should mention it, it does look like a nice boat. It's unmistakeably Flying Tiger-ish, is it another test balloon? If you build it, we will come.

what%20is%20it%206-11.jpg_sml.jpg What is it?

flyingtigerspecs.jpg Not so distant relative?

Or is it the Ed teasing us?

By the way, assuming everything's to scale, the Keel depth looked maybe 9 feet plus? Actually love the idea of this boat, when can we reserve one for the Pacific Northwest? Enough of the suspense now.

It is true that it is FT-ish.

But the pedestal and other details are not reminiscent of the Perry/HT style. I think we have to take another tack before we can get it right.

Or perhaps we just have not actually said all the right things in one post.

Who: Bob Perry/Hiptrader/Flying Tiger Boats

What: FT 13.5

Where: China

Bob, funny you should mention it, it does look like a nice boat. It's unmistakeably Flying Tiger-ish, is it another test balloon? If you build it, we will come.

what%20is%20it%206-11.jpg_sml.jpg What is it?

flyingtigerspecs.jpg Not so distant relative?

Or is it the Ed teasing us?

By the way, assuming everything's to scale, the Keel depth looked maybe 9 feet plus? Actually love the idea of this boat, when can we reserve one for the Pacific Northwest? Enough of the suspense now.

I'm interested as to why there is a grinding pedestal. While they certainly are more fun/easier, it seems slightly inconvenient for a R/C. Is the kite going to be huge? Details, details, details...

TC

ss

That would require imagination and creativity........ don't hold your breath!!

Hi Paul:

What's going on here?

I am amazed that some people can tell so much about a boat from a two dimensional sail plan.

Bob - I'm guessing this is yours, and it looks great. Can't wait to see more details and see one on the water in May 2010.

Charlie

FT10 #71

Well, a few weeks ago, out of the blue, a GP42 appears on the front page along with the comment that he Ed does not like the way they look. That, along with the pedestal grinder implies to me that this is some kind of Sailing Anarchy GP42 which Scooter designed to "look better" (in his opinion).

So I'll go with the Tempesta GP42 to be built by the FT shop in China. The challenge from the front page was most complete answer...

Well, a few weeks ago, out of the blue, a GP42 appears on the front page along with the comment that he Ed does not like the way they look. That, along with the pedestal grinder implies to me that this is some kind of Sailing Anarchy GP42 which Scooter designed to "look better" (in his opinion).

So I'll go with the Tempesta GP42 to be built by the FT shop in China. The challenge from the front page was most complete answer...

an Anarchy 44'? and interesting concept but sounds a lot like the FT, does look good though

Whoever thinks this thing looks better than a GP42 is off his rocker. A GP42 is like pure sex.

You know what I'd say to this designer? "1988 called, they want their coachroof back..."

I wonder if it could be the much anticipated but forever delayed new Farr/Beneteau First boat to replace the 40.7?

The pedestal says "No!", but I've always suspected that Farr was well along into a symetrical replacement design but then pulled back and redesigned as sprits became more prevalent. This might be it? Don't remember the design #...

Whoever thinks this thing looks better than a GP42 is off his rocker. A GP42 is like pure sex.

You know what I'd say to this designer? "1988 called, they want their coachroof back..."

I agree with you on the GP42. Please post pics from 1988 of a boat that looks like this.

I wonder if it could be the much anticipated but forever delayed new Farr/Beneteau First boat to replace the 40.7?

The pedestal says "No!", but I've always suspected that Farr was well along into a symetrical replacement design but then pulled back and redesigned as sprits became more prevalent. This might be it? Don't remember the design #...

This boat does not look like a Beneteau.

I agree with you on the GP42. Please post pics from 1988 of a boat that looks like this.

Just the house, not the whole boat.

Hi Paul:

What's going on here?

I'm not sure if I have the right term; but is it "rocker" that seems to be a tell of yours. I'm thinking of the slight rise of the fordeck area noticeable from a boats profile. In this size range it's fine and the boat does look lovely. If it is a Perry/Stevens project I'd say put it on the short list. Very exciting!

dug this out of the archives ( almost ) it's about time for the correct answer

dug this out of the archives ( almost ) it's about time for the correct answer

I guess we didn't come up with the correct answer. Or, if the modus operandi is as expected, the correct answer may not be "official" yet. Or, since only two (or three?) offered to write checks, the boat has stuck to the drawing board?

When the FT10 materialized after the Anarchy 10M was spec'd out, we had numbers already, so it wasn't really just a picture. There is a lot to speculate about this boat, including the price. This boat is a big girl. Can't just toss a TacTic system in here and twist the wires; probably need to consider an autopilot, plotter, choice of engines? This boat has a saildrive as drawn... To commission, tune and add sailplan to an FT10, add $20,000; to commission, lock and load this one...add $100,000? We didn't start with a "wish list price" like with the Anarchy boat challenge.

Not as easy as rolling her out of the container box and gluing in the mast.

If this is a Flying Tiger big boat, with a build price designed to get a group of boats out there, not just to make big builder bucks, I am still very interested in hearing about her. I wonder if the delivery costs alone might knock me out of the box. I know hauling her out a couple of times to fix the bomb bay doors would.

Please give us more information, let us talk about it. If those guys build it, we may come. Or at least try to.

Could an Anarchy team beat Russel Coutts in his signature toy?

Ed - We're dyin'' here!

Agreed – if this is not the much tantalized FT 12.8, can we get on with this now please? I think there are many of us looking for a 40’+ coastal racer that could do a Transpac/Pacific Cup, in the spirit of the old West Coast sleds (Olson 40, Santa Cruz 40), but modern and up to date and at a price not too far over $200k. Am I dreaming, and should I just go out and get an old Santa Cruz 50 or something?

I'm not sure if I have the right term; but is it "rocker" that seems to be a tell of yours. I'm thinking of the slight rise of the fordeck area noticeable from a boats profile. In this size range it's fine and the boat does look lovely. If it is a Perry/Stevens project I'd say put it on the short list. Very exciting!

Rocker is under water. The term you are looking for is "shear", specifically positive shear, rather than reverse shear. It does look nice. Although, I think I would have expected slightly MORE shear from BP. I don't kow. Maybe not. It is a long boat with not much freeboard, so perhaps more shear was impossible or ugly. Also, I would not have expected a pedestal from BP. That seems like it is really for high end racers, not a dual purpose budget 44 footer.

It is very curious that no one has gotten this and Ed has not spilled the beans. I wonder how close we have gotten. Can you give us a hint, Ed?

The only other idea that I had is that this is some sort of proposal for the smaller TP 44 that has been mentioned before as a less expensive TP52. The ORC 42 is actually 42 feet long so I kinda doubt that this is for the ORC 42 rule.

TP 44.....you may be on to something.

This may just be the Sailing Anarchy TP-44.

Etc Etc.

But for all I know this design is for the Sultan of Bruni

These two posts were good reading. Ed, can we all have some swag now?

Rocker is under water. The term you are looking for is "shear", specifically positive shear, rather than reverse shear. It does look nice. Although, I think I would have expected slightly MORE shear from BP. I don't kow. Maybe not. It is a long boat with not much freeboard, so perhaps more shear was impossible or ugly. Also, I would not have expected a pedestal from BP. That seems like it is really for high end racers, not a dual purpose budget 44 footer.

It is very curious that no one has gotten this and Ed has not spilled the beans. I wonder how close we have gotten. Can you give us a hint, Ed?

ahhh, yes shear was the term....thx

does anyone have the scoop on this thing?

How about just one more hint....please?????

The TP 52 game has gone very, very pro and the operational cost must be unrealistic.

That is the understatement of the decade! :lol:

So how about it Ed? Whazzup?

That is the understatement of the decade! :lol:

So how about it Ed? Whazzup?

They keep changing their minds on what to call it :(

anyone else think we already have enough sport boat classes? seems like sportboat racing is getting a bit watered down...

Who, what, where.

Premature???????????????????? with the scoop I mean....

So what have they decided it will be marketed as The FT 13.8 or the Stevens Customs 44 or both ? The FT 13.8 being more a racer with minimum interior and the Stevens 44 leaning to more cruiser with more creature features. Haven't seen a definitive answer.