Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Capt. Hook

Lost in the North Atlantic help needed!

Since 4 of june a 35 feet Bavaria has not been heard from.

One person is aboard believed to be on way to Iceland.

Last known position was N37 25.468 W63 13.527

He left Bermuda on the 1st. was in satellitephoneconnection on the 3rd and made a short connection on the 4th.

His next stop was intended to be St. Johns in New Foundland, that is long overdue.

Pos. comes from that last call. that position is in the middle between Bermunda and New Foundland.

After that call nothing is seen or heard from him.

An extensive search has been done but now it is formely over.

We need help finding weatherinformation from 3. of june until today.

Our intentions is making an calculated guess where the boat might be if he sailed on past St. Johns or where he might have drifted to with a broken rig.

Yikes. That is a awful long time to go without any communication. Can you give a better description of the boat and what gear it had aboard? Color/age/etc..?

Can you describe what was the "extensive search" and did it include the USCG SAR?

Sorry about the situation and your friend.

It is quite well equipped, one 6pers. liferaft and another 4pers liferaft. Small Honda generator. All normal equip. for such a trip. Loads of flares etc.

There should be an EPIRB on at least one of the liferafts, but we are not sure.

There was some electrical problems.

Name of boat: Distocia, 35 feet Bavaria 1997.

Name of skipper: Jakob Fenger

There was an extensive search flight by the Canadian coast guard.

I found onshore weather records for Argentia, Newfoundland (most southerly station) for the month of June, but can't find records for the marine weather. It's in an Excel spreadsheet which the site host won't let me upload - I'll try a PM.

You could also try the US Navy's weather page: FNMOC

I had a quick scan there, but couldn't find records - only forcasts. An email to them may get records.

Good luck - hoping this turns out well!

A.

if you haven't already done so, here are two links to ssb nets that will put out the word for mariners to look out for your friend; there is contact info there:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/hehilgen/vax498.htm

http://www.safetyandsecuritynet.com/

Don't forget the Maritime Mobile Service Net, 14.300 MHz SSB on your ham radio dial.

Thanks to you all, you have been a great help as usual.

We have got weather info from Bahamas and others and we are hoping he is just en route to Iceland going slow in the dead calm wind...

The day before we arrived in Bermuda this week I listened to Herb Hilgenberg on 12359.0 and the beginning of his broadcast was dedicated to describing the boat, crew, intended destination and overdue report.

A prayer and a Dark N' Stormy salute...

I found onshore weather records for Argentia, Newfoundland (most southerly station) for the month of June, but can't find records for the marine weather. It's in an Excel spreadsheet which the site host won't let me upload - I'll try a PM.

You could also try the US Navy's weather page: FNMOC

I had a quick scan there, but couldn't find records - only forcasts. An email to them may get records.

Good luck - hoping this turns out well!

A.

First, terrible news (to me). Newfoundlander here. The Argentia (land based) historical weather can be viewed online. June wasn't the worst sea conditions but it wasn't "nice either".

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/...th=6&Day=25

Prayers for your friend.