Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

celphtaught

tick tick tick tick....BOOOM

I smell another free eBay boat.... nope that's just burning wood and fiberglass.

Is that why they're called Atomic 4s?

"They had a flash fire in the engine compartment when they were attempting to start the engine," explained Charlotte Asst. Fire Chief Dick St. George.

St. George says the exact cause is unknown but it appears the craft caught fire when two friends of the owner tried to start the boat's gasoline engine using a recently repaired carburetor.

Sounds like the "friends" did not know that you're supposed to run the blower for a few minutes before trying to start a gas engine. Taking this one very simple precaution would have prevented this. Bummer... glad no one was hurt.

Always found diesel safer ;)

What was that thing?? You gonna be round for Mayor's Cup?

reminds me of several years ago in Vineyard Haven. A couple left their daughter aboard while they went in to Oak Bluffs. She was making herself some dinner and the open flame on the stove caught the curtains on fire and that was game over. She got off the boat, but it burned quick and to the waterline. As I recall they managed to tow it close enough to shore for the fire department to hit it with hoses from the beach, but it was gone. I was very surprised at the time to learn that VH, with those big fuel tanks right across the way, didn't have a fire boat.

What was that thing?? You gonna be round for Mayor's Cup?

yeah, if i do it it'll be on K2 again. im not sure if i will be though, depends on if im sailing Sears, if i am then we will be training for Area A's that weekend.

Oh shit, we have to burn boats to make it on the map, haha. Sorry about her loss...I was wondering what those clouds of smoke were that I saw from the office the other day.

I remember when I was back in high school (MORC and IOR was popular) a guy in the local marina climbed onto his boat with a cigarette dangling from his mouth and when he pulled the hatchboards back – BANG!! It blew him out of the cockpit and into the water. Other than some minor burns and a headache he survived to smoke another day. I wonder if he has a diesel now.

My wild ass guess is some kind of starting fluid had a hand in this.

Finally Lake champlain gets recognized. The boat loss is a bummer. what day was it my families boat is in wilsboro along w/my F5 (which are the shit by the way) just wondering.

i want to say monday