• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

valenciasailing

A TP52 boat just sank in Valencia

A couple of things:

Those do not appear to be 2 metre waves; and it appears they had enough time to get main down and off as well as tie some flotaion bouys to the rig; probably alot longer than ten minutes.

However that is one scary sight.

A couple of things:

Those do not appear to be 2 metre waves; and it appears they had enough time to get main down and off as well as tie some flotaion bouys to the rig; probably alot longer than ten minutes.

Still a little more moisture than the de-hu can handle!

A couple of things:

cameras always lesson the percieved size of waves... and writers tend to round up... so... bitter with the sweet.

So what happened? too much rig tension and split the hull or what?

Cool,

My next entry in the beater to heater thread.

But seriously, when are Grand Prix Ocean Racers going to be seaworthy again?

Thank goodness we're jumping to conclusions about the seaworthiness of the boat before any facts are available, in the grand SA tradition. I was a bit worried there that this might not turn into a fact-free discussion...

By the way, aren't they supposed to fly the "W" flag when they are obstructing a rounding mark?

Holy smokes! That is some kind of dramatic photography.

Speechless. The J/24 photos from earlier in the week were a bit of a shock but we've seen it before. From what you spend on something like this you just don't associate it with a sinking unless it's offshore at night and there are loose containers about. Incredible.

RD

Thank goodness we're jumping to conclusions about the seaworthiness of the boat before any facts are available, in the grand SA tradition. I was a bit worried there that this might not turn into a fact-free discussion...

The report on Valencia Sailing says the bow fell apart.

Oh, as the say, it's on...

The report on Valencia Sailing says the bow fell apart.

Oh, as the say, it's on...

Nice return of service, Mark K. :P

Nice return of service, Mark K. :P

Now the only question is who gets fricaseed first: The builder, the designer,

or the guy who did the repairs...?

I'll warm up some tar.

Anybody got some feathers?

Espe Molina has the report in her blog In Spanish though...

According with Fernando León and Kiko Sánchez, the bow broke probably because of too much tension on the forestay, breaking behind the water line and producing a hole big enough for a person to go through.

CAM y TAU seguían compitiendo en la primera ceñida.

De repente, el CAM sufrió una sacudida, flameó la mayor, y comenzó a embarcar agua. Según explicaban después Fernando León y Kiko Sánchez, armadores del CAM, había reventado la proa, posiblemente por la tensión del Stay sobre la zona de proa, pero por debajo de la línea de flotación, lo que originó un agujero en el casco por el que podía caber una persona.

Inmediatamente TAU bajó velas y fue a ayudar a CAM, mientras todas las lanchas de apoyo de la zona corrieron también en su auxilio. El CAM embarcaba agua a toda velocidad, aunque los tripulantes se desplazaron a popa, se utilizó una bomba de achique, y la organización y servicios de socorro intentaron evitar que siguiera entrando agua atando boyas a la proa del barco. Pero la velocidad a la que CAM embarcaba agua fue en aumento y en diez minutos, comenzó a hundirse por la proa. La tripulación abandonó el barco y el CAM se sumergió frente a Valencia a una profundidad de 19 metros. Al acostarse sobre el fondo del mar, solo la perilla del palo, permaneció fuera del agua, sujetas a boyas para señalizar el sitio y evitar en lo posible que se sumerja completamente tumbado sobre el fondo. La tripulación está a salvo y no se han sufrido daños personales.

Iñaki Castañer: “Es muy triste. Es un proyecto de alta competición en al que trabajas por superar y por estar al límite. Los barcos se ponen también al límite porque estás en la más alta competición. Sabes que estas cosas pueden ocurrir, como se rompe un motor en la Fórmula 1 o en el Circuito GP de Motos. Pero aquí estás en el mar… No debe ocurrir pero ocurre. Tenían un gran barco, son una gran tripulación y estamos a mitad de temporada… es una tragedia para ellos y para cuantos competimos con o contra ellos.

Espe Molina has the report in her blog In Spanish though...

According with Fernando León and Kiko Sánchez, the bow broke probably because of too much tension on the forestay, breaking behind the water line and producing a hole big enough for a person to go through.

CAM y TAU seguían compitiendo en la primera ceñida.

De repente, el CAM sufrió una sacudida, flameó la mayor, y comenzó a embarcar agua. Según explicaban después Fernando León y Kiko Sánchez, armadores del CAM, había reventado la proa, posiblemente por la tensión del Stay sobre la zona de proa, pero por debajo de la línea de flotación, lo que originó un agujero en el casco por el que podía caber una persona.

Inmediatamente TAU bajó velas y fue a ayudar a CAM, mientras todas las lanchas de apoyo de la zona corrieron también en su auxilio. El CAM embarcaba agua a toda velocidad, aunque los tripulantes se desplazaron a popa, se utilizó una bomba de achique, y la organización y servicios de socorro intentaron evitar que siguiera entrando agua atando boyas a la proa del barco. Pero la velocidad a la que CAM embarcaba agua fue en aumento y en diez minutos, comenzó a hundirse por la proa. La tripulación abandonó el barco y el CAM se sumergió frente a Valencia a una profundidad de 19 metros. Al acostarse sobre el fondo del mar, solo la perilla del palo, permaneció fuera del agua, sujetas a boyas para señalizar el sitio y evitar en lo posible que se sumerja completamente tumbado sobre el fondo. La tripulación está a salvo y no se han sufrido daños personales.

Iñaki Castañer: “Es muy triste. Es un proyecto de alta competición en al que trabajas por superar y por estar al límite. Los barcos se ponen también al límite porque estás en la más alta competición. Sabes que estas cosas pueden ocurrir, como se rompe un motor en la Fórmula 1 o en el Circuito GP de Motos. Pero aquí estás en el mar… No debe ocurrir pero ocurre. Tenían un gran barco, son una gran tripulación y estamos a mitad de temporada… es una tragedia para ellos y para cuantos competimos con o contra ellos.

with help from google...

CAM and TAU still competing in the first upwind.

Suddenly, the CMA suffered a jolt, the largest FLAME, and began shipping water. According explained after Fernando Leon and Kiko Sanchez, owners of CAM, had burst the bow, possibly by the tension of Stay on the bow area, but below the waterline, resulting in a hole in the hull through which could fit one person.

Immediately TAU dropped sails and went to help CAM, while all boats support of the area also ran in their distress. The CAM embarcaba water at full speed, although the crew moved aft, we used a pump achique, and the organization and emergency services tried to prevent further water entering attaching buoys to the bow of the boat. But the speed at which CAM embarcaba water was rising and in ten minutes, began to sink by the bow. The crew abandoned the boat and the CMA will face Valencia submerged at a depth of 19 meters. At bedtime on the seabed, only the knob of the stick, remained out of the water, subject to buoys marking the site and avoid as much as possible to be completely immerse lying on the merits. The crew is safe and not have suffered personal injury.

Iñaki Castañer: "It's very sad. It is a project of high competition in the work to overcome that and be the limit. The boats are also the limit because you're in the highest competition. You know that these things can happen, as it breaks an engine in Formula 1 or in Circuit GP Motorcycles. But here you are at sea… It should not happen but it happens. They had a great boat, are a great crew and we HALF season… is a tragedy for them and for how many we compete with or against them.

Yet another unsafe design and build. If we do not move forward with some very aggresive self regulation we should not be surprised when some outsiders start creating rules to keep us and our guest's safe from ourselves. I expect the liablity carriers will be first and we will not like it.

325398072.jpg

Caption contest?

Nah, it would be too soon after the loss.

Ok, time's up.

Never send a man aloft when the waves are breaking over the spreaders....

I know, my bad.

Glad no one was hurt. ;)

OSHA must have stepped in due to a crew's union grievance filed a year ago during the America's cup. No longer will crew have to scale the mast to check the wind. Now, the mast comes to them.

Carbon

I see better pressure coming from the left

No we are not clear to jibe just yet

Now which halyard was the one that was jamming?

Damn the forestay seems loose way up here

I didn't think these boats got greenwater over the decks

How many deaths, accidents and insurance claims are going to be filed before they take it up to the designers and the powers that be to make monohulls positivey boyant in the event of damage or an accident. If they can do it with a RTW yacht why not all new yachts. Too many lives have been lost and sailors are risking their lives.

It about time these yachts stayed afloat. Peoples lives are worth more than weight savings. If its a one design class then there would be no disadvantage in the case of the TP52.

Not being able to float has never been a good feature in a yacht. Looks like it's coming as a no cost option with a lot of new boats these days.......

Mark K: You are f-ing hilarious! :lol:

But really, I think the guy who posted once to tell us about the bow mod might know something more... Don't jump to conclusions about build quality and design.

325398072.jpg

Caption contest?

"who could imagine global warming would affect valencia's tides so badly?" :lol:

on a serious note, hope everyone involved is ok, from a health and safety point of view, cause the owner is, of course, in schock.

Cool,

My next entry in the beater to heater thread.

But seriously, when are Grand Prix Ocean Racers going to be seaworthy again?

Since when were the current crop of TP 52s deemed to be Ocean Racers?

They are designed and built to be round the buoys day racers, no more. Ask the guys actually racing them - doubt you would gather enough of the pros together to sail one of the latest batch of TP 52s in a true ocean race.

How many deaths, accidents and insurance claims are going to be filed before they take it up to the designers and the powers that be to make monohulls positivey boyant in the event of damage or an accident. If they can do it with a RTW yacht why not all new yachts. Too many lives have been lost and sailors are risking their lives.

It about time these yachts stayed afloat. Peoples lives are worth more than weight savings. If its a one design class then there would be no disadvantage in the case of the TP52.

I agree, and trees should be taken off all ski fields and cars off the roads of the world, air travel should be banned!

:lol: Great Idea!

Save the mast wand, there expensive!

Yes, they're expensive, thats why the dude from one of the other boats is stealing it!

Global warming will cause a massive rise in sea levels in the next few years.

Oh, shit! it's here already... :(

I agree, and trees should be taken off all ski fields and cars off the roads of the world, air travel should be banned!

There was car burning on the freeway the other day 'cuz the gas tank had fuel in it.

Scary shit...........

Funny you should say that! I had a Sportboat that was unballasted and when flipped and filled with water it stayed on the surface and could be towed home, bailed out and raced the next day. But! They banned it cause it didnt self right! Go Figure!

Mark K: You are f-ing hilarious! :lol:

But really, I think the guy who posted once to tell us about the bow mod might know something more... Don't jump to conclusions about build quality and design.

Thanks.

I didn't make any claims on that score. Just wondered who would

get SA par-broiled first.

Have to admit the first meeting between the owner and whoever

did that bow is going to be, well, let's say a bit awwwkwarrrd

though. Where's Clean with his camera?

wish i had that kind of money to piss away.

lets see-the forestay is too tight and the boat splits in half below the water line. what a cluster fuck

not a 2 meter wavefor a hundred miles in those pics that i can see so a lame explanation at best

ownner-is an ass for comission such a piece of shit

designer-is a fucktard for putting peoples lives in danger (this piece of shit would never sail outside of protected harbors though they would like you to believe its so)

builder-for even agreeing to build such a piece of shit

don't ya'll do your fucking homework anymore?

but we look cool trying to saving a $200 (?) windvane-what lame asses

wish the water was 290 meters deeper

Maybe instead of taking the wand down they should be tying a flag to it or a radar reflector.

Can't wait to see the legal battle over this one..... of course it will be solved long before it ever reaches the courts right here on SA.... I'm surprised the engineering discussion hasn't already started here yet about the stress modulus of the materials, were the keel bolts re-torqued recently.....blah, blah, blah.....

Maybe the ed can put up a prize for the first underwater pic??

That looks rough, glad no one got hurt. I say, if you have the money and the crew willing to do it, do it. There are a bunch of safety boats around, it is a bouy race, stop crying about it. I'm a lot more worried about J24s and other boats that are billed as racer/cruiser sinking. If i'm going to take a boat cruising, it needs to be a lot more bulletproof than a purpse built race boat. I want to trust that it is safe if I'm out with just my girlfriend and the wind picks up, and there are no safety boats around. If i'm on a 50 foot around the bouys race boat with a bunch of pros and spectators, and the boat breaks, it just makes for a good story.

No different than a crash in Nascar, but I wouldn't want my daily driver to burst into flames since I sure as hell wouldn't be expecting that.

Are we sure he is saving the crane in that picture? He might be doing something else. Presumably they are going to pull the boat up and parts off it (if not all of it).

That looks rough, glad no one got hurt. I say, if you have the money and the crew willing to do it, do it. There are a bunch of safety boats around, it is a bouy race, stop crying about it. I'm a lot more worried about J24s and other boats that are billed as racer/cruiser sinking. If i'm going to take a boat cruising, it needs to be a lot more bulletproof than a purpse built race boat. I want to trust that it is safe if I'm out with just my girlfriend and the wind picks up, and there are no safety boats around. If i'm on a 50 foot around the bouys race boat with a bunch of pros and spectators, and the boat breaks, it just makes for a good story.

No different than a crash in Nascar, but I wouldn't want my daily driver to burst into flames since I sure as hell wouldn't be expecting that.

Are we sure he is saving the crane in that picture? He might be doing something else. Presumably they are going to pull the boat up and parts off it (if not all of it).

We all had to let go sometime in order to learn how to swim.

Could someone kindly explain to me again why I just can't stand in the rib and do this?

He want's to win a bar bet.

"I free climbed the mast of a TP52 all the way to the top!"

Yeah, most of the 50 footers I race round the bouys on fall in half and sink all the time.......... happens every week, par for the course really......

So I'm sure one of you rock stars here can tell us EXACTLY how deep the water is in that spot?...........

We still fly in Planes and drive around in Cars have any of those designers been brought to bare on the number of Deaths attributed to these designs ???

:ph34r:

Ever drive a car?

Positive bouancy is great as long as the boat holds together, as in this case. Water tight bulkheads, especially forward would help and possibly prevent this particular sinking. How much weight would that add?

People will take chances when speed is the objective. Its a race boat, not a C-22. There will be one of two responses in future designs. A. We can prevent some possibility sinking. B. Its a balls to the walls race boat. Take your chance and go fast, or stay off the porch.

on a serious note, hope everyone involved is ok, from a health and safety point of view, cause the owner is, of course, in schock.

HAHAHA, the first thing I noticed was your spelling of schock! ;-}}}}

Yet another unsafe design and build. If we do not move forward with some very aggresive self regulation we should not be surprised when some outsiders start creating rules to keep us and our guest's safe from ourselves. I expect the liablity carriers will be first and we will not like it.

You are an idiot.

They sure were pissed that I pulled that water ballast lever. Hope they cool off and come get me before nightfall.

325398072.jpg

Caption contest?

Hmm... they said i could see my house from up here... bs.

"please... dont go"

actually, air travel (commercially) has some pretty amazing statistics anymore... general aviation, maybe not so much, though.

Maybe instead of taking the wand down they should be tying a flag to it or a radar reflector.

My thought exactly. He might also be getting some lines around the crane to attach to the floats to mark it.

Did I see a guy bailing out the forward hatch with the same blue bucket TNZ used against Alinghi in '03??

Glad nobody was hurt, otherwise I wouldn't kid around...

Serge

-yelling at the water-

OK guys, bring me down slowly!

LMFAO - I guess he intends to use the wand as a Snorkle ??? :blink:

We still fly in Planes and drive around in Cars have any of those designers been brought to bare on the number of Deaths attributed to these designs ???

:ph34r:

To be fair, if cars, let's say Ford Explorers, were crashing due to a design flaw they would be recalled and ford would be held accountable for any death or damage attributed to it. Concorde was grounded because the risk of another tyre bursting and rupturing the fuel tanks was too high (though with todays escalating cost of aviation fuel I suspect it would only have been a matter of time anyway).

It's all academic anyway because it doesn't seem like any real harm has been done. She's sitting in 25m of water and they know where she is so she'll probably be raised in the next few days and back racing by the end of summer.

Ever drive a car?

Positive bouancy is great as long as the boat holds together, as in this case. Water tight bulkheads, especially forward would help and possibly prevent this particular sinking. How much weight would that add?

Positive bouancy would add bugger all weight and if its a one design class like the TP52 then it would not matter if everyone was the same. Its about flotation and air tight spaces in various areas of the yacht not just at the front. Specific boyancy compartments would mostly require more space than weight. If they can build it into the OMOCA and Volvo boats whats to stop designers putting them in most boats. If they want to build lightweight racing yachts where they split open, loose keels and sink sometimes with the loss of life, the wind strength and design should be restricted to the conditions and the area that are suited for them compete in.

People will take chances when speed is the objective. Its a race boat, not a C-22. There will be one of two responses in future designs. A. We can prevent some possibility sinking. B. Its a balls to the walls race boat. Take your chance and go fast, or stay off the porch.

PCLHACKER & AWASP Its a yacht where talking about here. Got fuck all to do with cars of planes this is a sailing web site. You might as well add bikes, drinking, smoking and crossing the street to that comment. If it is a design fault with the equipment (cars/ planes) then builders and designers would be held responsible and the governing body would take steps to find out what happened and how it can be prevented in the future. Insurance claims do get filed against builders of planes and cars when the equiment is faulty with them as well.

People will take chances. Designers are consistantly improving safety in planes, cars to reduce the loss of life. This dosent seem to be happening with yacht design. It the old story, We will build it light and fast and if it breaks its not strong enough. Yachts are becomming more powerfull and the design strength while increased with new technology only seems to be the bottom of the safety scale just to save weight and improve preformance.

When is the last time a yacht was launched saying the design has been upgraded for safety instead of (its lightweight, fast or has a spacious interior).

I guess its up to the designers to work out what went wrong. If I owned or was racing on a TP52 I be going over the boat with the builder of an experienced surveyor with and a fine tooth comb to ensure myself and my crew who put their trust in me and the yacht are not jepodised in the future.

You say (Its a balls to the walls race boat. Take your chance and go fast, or stay off the porch.). I say. How would you feel if you had to go and explain to the family of one or more deceased crew members that their wife, husband or child who put their faith in you and your yacht was no longer around for them. Thats something you would have to live with for the rest of you life. Improved safety for a little added expense and weight does not equate to human life.

Just look at how many recent articles have been on SA lately about yachts that have sunk.

PCLHACKER & AWASP Its a yacht where talking about here. Got fuck all to do with cars of planes this is a sailing web site. You might as well add bikes, drinking, smoking and crossing the street to that comment. If it is a design fault with the equipment (cars/ planes) then builders and designers would be held responsible and the governing body would take steps to find out what happened and how it can be prevented in the future. Insurance claims do get filed against builders of planes and cars when the equiment is faulty with them as well.

People will take chances. Designers are consistantly improving safety in planes, cars to reduce the loss of life. This dosent seem to be happening with yacht design. It the old story, We will build it light and fast and if it breaks its not strong enough. Yachts are becomming more powerfull and the design strength while increased with new technology only seems to be the bottom of the safety scale just to save weight and improve preformance.

When is the last time a yacht was launched saying the design has been upgraded for safety instead of (its lightweight, fast or has a spacious interior).

I guess its up to the designers to work out what went wrong. If I owned or was racing on a TP52 I be going over the boat with the builder of an experienced surveyor with and a fine tooth comb to ensure myself and my crew who put their trust in me and the yacht are not jepodised in the future.

You say (Its a balls to the walls race boat. Take your chance and go fast, or stay off the porch.). I say. How would you feel if you had to go and explain to the family of one or more deceased crew members that their wife, husband or child who put their faith in you and your yacht was no longer around for them. Thats something you would have to live with for the rest of you life. Improved safety for a little added expense and weight does not equate to human life.

Just look at how many recent articles have been on SA lately about yachts that have sunk.

Ever raced an off the beach performance dinghy, Moth Skiff ect? They race all the time and 100's have broken and sunk ect over the years, how is this different?

Its a boat, they sink, just like they allways have!

Must have pulled the short straw to act the "Scare Crow" and stop the Sea Gulls from shitting on the windgear!

post-2693-1216008610_thumb.jpg

wish i had that kind of money to piss away.

lets see-the forestay is too tight and the boat splits in half below the water line. what a cluster fuck

not a 2 meter wavefor a hundred miles in those pics that i can see so a lame explanation at best

ownner-is an ass for comission such a piece of shit

designer-is a fucktard for putting peoples lives in danger (this piece of shit would never sail outside of protected harbors though they would like you to believe its so)

builder-for even agreeing to build such a piece of shit

don't ya'll do your fucking homework anymore?

but we look cool trying to saving a $200 (?) windvane-what lame asses

wish the water was 290 meters deeper

If you have those wands for 200.00 NOI - I'll buy all you have

Learn to speel and learn the rules. RRS 4 pretty much sums the sitch. If you owned a boat and thought it might eggshell, would you race it? If you raced on a boat that had a freak accident happen to it, would you give up racing? Who knows what actually happened, it's not been salvaged yet and until its all said and done, you can't blame anyone.

325398072.jpg

Caption contest?

OMG I'm really sorry, I didn't know she was your daughter!!!!

This is great news for sailing isnt it.....

The media will love it...crew pay for a dangerous job goes up

More boats and equipment sales!

Sailing is inherently unsafe, so lets just ban it outright so that nobody can ever get hurt.

Oh, and a TP52 is NOT A ONE DESIGN!