Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

homedepot40

"madcap" for sale in Holland,mi

Word of warning, if that boat is still in its original configuartion (ie; delta keel) that boat is a rocket in light air. The warning is that boat is one hell of a hand full in the bigger breezes, espscially downwind! At least it looks like they took the Treadmaster decking off.

That looks like the Ericson 39 with the ports in the hull covered over. VERY IOR

Excuse my IOR ignorance, but what is the verticly mounted winch for mounted on the traveler bar?

At 29K the sails are likely worth more than the hull ... probably tells you something about it's condition.

Wow- there are a couple of other wacky listings there. That Cayenne 41 screams 80s IOR. What's was up with the aft cabin / cockpit????? Also, check out that steel hard chined 38' AMAZON.

Looks like basically a 39 hull with a custom deck and stripped interior. can't tell if the stern and rudder area have been modified.

Looks like basically a 39 hull with a custom deck and stripped interior. can't tell if the stern and rudder area have been modified.

NOT like a 39-actually it IS almost a blown up Ericson 34 (old style). The 39 was obsolete for IOR when this boat was built. Madcap (40') and Cadre(34') were custom King boats built for one of the owners of the holding company which owned Ericson, and were partly responsible for Ericson building the 34 (of mid-late 70's vintage). Check out the stern-it is just like the old Ericson 34's...

And yes-they were pretty awesome boats straight upwind and downwind in light air, OK upwind in breeze, and basically a mess the rest of the time.

Now, the OTHER Bruce King boats-Agressive II (40'), Terrorist(35') and Hawkeye (48') were amazing-all twin bilgeboarders-but had no relation to Ericson yachts...

Now, the OTHER Bruce King boats-Agressive II (40'), Terrorist(35') and Hawkeye (48') were amazing-all twin bilgeboarders-but had no relation to Ericson yachts...

Yeah, those bilge boarders!! Are they still around?

Ericson 39 - lots o memmories..... Looks like a dream layout for the erra + they kept the 100,000,000 lb Spin pole.... SWEET.....

Anyone got pics of the Keel??

Shag

Wow- there are a couple of other wacky listings there. That Cayenne 41 screams 80s IOR. What's was up with the aft cabin / cockpit????? Also, check out that steel hard chined 38' AMAZON.

Bos,

The Cayenne 41 is hardly IOR. Its a modern version (mid 80's maybe) of a Swedish Skerry cruiser. check the lenght to beam ratio.

Pehr

Ericson 39 - lots o memmories..... Looks like a dream layout for the erra + they kept the 100,000,000 lb Spin pole.... SWEET.....

Anyone got pics of the Keel??

Shag

39 or Madcap?

Madcap has the King "Delta" keel, which you can see on any of the Ericson 34's from the 70's-or for that matter, all of the late Model Bruce King Ericson cruisers (38, 381, 35-3, "new" 34, "new" 32, and 30+).

The 39 has (had) a more traditional (for the time) swept fin keel-which was not bolted; the hull, including the keel shell were laid up in 2 halves, which were bonded together fore and aft along the centerline on the inside. Then the lead was dropped into the keel cavity..

Ditto the Cayenne.....NOT IOR

NOT like a 39-actually it IS almost a blown up Ericson 34 (old style). The 39 was obsolete for IOR when this boat was built. Madcap (40') and Cadre(34') were custom King boats built for one of the owners of the holding company which owned Ericson, and were partly responsible for Ericson building the 34 (of mid-late 70's vintage). Check out the stern-it is just like the old Ericson 34's...

And yes-they were pretty awesome boats straight upwind and downwind in light air, OK upwind in breeze, and basically a mess the rest of the time.

Madcap is a one-off and was built for the then owner of Ericson, Charlie Leighton (CML Group). CML has owned (and sold), at one time or another, Ericson, Hood Sails and Boston Whaler.

Madcap is a one-off and was built for the then owner of Ericson, Charlie Leighton (CML Group). CML has owned (and sold), at one time or another, Ericson, Hood Sails and Boston Whaler.

Sort of. Charlie owned CML group, who owned Ericson, but was not involved in day to day opps at Ericson. Yes, Madcap was a one-off, but the design (and the design of Cadre, the one-off 34) led directly to the E 34 of the period. I don't recall whether Madcap or Cadre were built first-but they were very similar boats in design concept, and quite different from anything Ericson had done previously. I joined Ericson in 79-80-after these 2 had been racing for a few years-do I know you?

Cheers,

S

I turn 28 on Monday. I'm rapidly running out of time in my 20's. Don't have me waste anymore time reading about IOR.

Word of warning, if that boat is still in its original configuartion (ie; delta keel) that boat is a rocket in light air. The warning is that boat is one hell of a hand full in the bigger breezes, espscially downwind! At least it looks like they took the Treadmaster decking off.

Can confirm from sailing against her on Wed nights. That b*tch can point higher in light air than anything you've ever seen. Guy can outpoint anybody. If she decides to take you up, you might as well tack away now. You can't match her (yeah, we've tried and regretted it). Upwind in light air she's unbeatable. Downwind or reaching in medium or god-forbid heavy air, a very scary ride. No stern quarters whatsoever.

Only part of the waffle-butt inducing Treadmaster has been removed, the rest has been painted. Solid galss hull, no core. My friend says the good thing about the cast-iron spin pole is that it won't break in the heavy air broaches.

And yes, the sail inventory is probably worth more than the boat.

Excuse my IOR ignorance, but what is the verticly mounted winch for mounted on the traveler bar?

Mainsheet winch. The DB1 was originally built in this configuration too. No idea WTF they were thinking with this setup.