LeoV

Seascape 18

HI,

INteresting frontpage article...

I know the guys behind them, as friends.

Did see the prototype, moulding etc.

Its a good project with a bit of cash behind it.

I know it will be rewarding to sail, maybe a good EU alternative ?

http://www.seascape18.com/prvastran.htm

HI,

I know the guys behind them, as friends.

Did see the prototype, moulding etc.

Its a good project with a bit of cash behind it.

I know it will be rewarding to sail, maybe a good EU alternative ?

Can you get some more pictures then?

looks very sweet little boat, and seems to sail well when planing.

Probably would do well with a bit more kite area, and I am liking that woman in the videos;-)

More like an Open 570 or similar than one of the 20+ long sportboats; really want to see one of these boats in action because I have no idea how quick they are relative to the skinnier type boats.

They certianly seem like a great machine for the money! Hope they can sell some boats and do well, and the no bulb thing really does have some advantages too.

HI,

Some more photos.

I had pleasure to sailed with it. Realy nice and easy to sail. The concept of "keep it simple" is excellent. It is chep and easy to handle. You all will probably notice that everythnig could be more sporty, bat it would not be so simple with so much fun.....

For more questions is better to ask Andraz or Krisjan on contact@seascape18.com

Just for the note. I took my girlfrend with me on test sailing with seascape18. It was first time for her to deal with spinaker. It hande it very well. After day of sailng with this beauty, she said. "We could own this". It was first time from her mouth, for any boat :rolleyes:

lp, rok

post-17379-1219311788_thumb.jpg

post-17379-1219311831_thumb.jpg

I really like it. I am partial to centerboards, etc. as it is but I think this design and the Juan K design are on to something. Instead of being a little sport boat it's a dinghy with ballast.

Any plans to send one to the U.S. or sign up a dealer over here? I'd like to try one out.

Carbon

So, no bulb.

Is the ballast in the bilge or in the swinging keel?

The keel is made from cast irron and weights 120kg. There are several reasons for such low tech solution compared to the original idea of having a glass fibre body with lead insert at the bottom:

1- keel is almost idiotproof: for a boat that is designed to be lauched from the beash or slips and to go into the bays& shallow water, it is inevitable that you will sometimes touch ground (having 1,5m draft does not help either). If you hit something with GPR keel you will surely open the case and have some serious repair work on your job list. Now, with this solution, you can go rock hopping and when you hear the bump, you simply lift the keel a bit and all you have to do is to apply some paint over the scratch...

2-price: cast iron is much cheaper than GPR work, the difference in price is for the end buyer almost 1,2k €...Our aim from the beginning is to keep the price on reasonable level and work on numbers instead...

As the cookies never come without the cookiemonster, there are some drawbacks; to have the same stability, we are paying all of the above with approx 35kg of weight penalty. But on the side note, i am sure that the advantages outweight this penality, especialy as wealready managed to achieve the target production weight.

hope i answered to your comment, but if there are some more questions, don't hestitate to contact me...

I really like it. I am partial to centerboards, etc. as it is but I think this design and the Juan K design are on to something. Instead of being a little sport boat it's a dinghy with ballast.

Any plans to send one to the U.S. or sign up a dealer over here? I'd like to try one out.

Carbon

You're quite right, it is a dinghy with a ballast. If you want to go sailing and enjoy with your girls/wife/kids... then it is a keelboat, lots of stability from hard chined hull and ballast, it is forgiving and hassle free...

If you want to jump the waves, then you close the entrance with the neopren spray cover, take your life jacket and go out for some wild surfing... current record is 18,3 kts, but it is very easy to reach 15kts of boatrspeed in 20 kts of wind.

For dealers, we are establishing a network, but as we just started this is work-in-progress. However if you have some ideas, we're open to suggestions. As a note, first three boats are sold with the delivery of N°1 to Austria in mid September.

I took my girlfrend with me on test sailing with seascape18. It was first time for her to deal with spinaker. It hande it very well. After day of sailng with this beauty, she said. "We could own this". It was first time from her mouth, for any boat :rolleyes:

That's great news, rock - and thanks for sharing. Do you mind showing us her tits so we can get the full effect?

You're quite right, it is a dinghy with a ballast. If you want to go sailing and enjoy with your girls/wife/kids... then it is a keelboat, lots of stability from hard chined hull and ballast, it is forgiving and hassle free...

If you want to jump the waves, then you close the entrance with the neopren spray cover, take your life jacket and go out for some wild surfing... current record is 18,3 kts, but it is very easy to reach 15kts of boatrspeed in 20 kts of wind.

For dealers, we are establishing a network, but as we just started this is work-in-progress. However if you have some ideas, we're open to suggestions. As a note, first three boats are sold with the delivery of N°1 to Austria in mid September.

What would be your estimated price, delivered in a container to the US east coast?

Probably would do well with a bit more kite area, and I am liking that woman in the videos;-)

More like an Open 570 or similar than one of the 20+ long sportboats; really want to see one of these boats in action because I have no idea how quick they are relative to the skinnier type boats.

They certianly seem like a great machine for the money! Hope they can sell some boats and do well, and the no bulb thing really does have some advantages too.

I'll just replyto your questions/comments:

- a bit more kite area: it is already coming your way. We increased the kite area from 24m2 to 32m2,changing shape from skiff like to more melges like. Also, the retractable bowsprit is now 40 cm longer.

- it is good to compare boats of this type to "ordinary" boats. As i mentioned before, it is possible to beat j24 upwind if you sail it well ( i am not talking about the world championship J24 with proper crew, but bunch of weekend sailors who go out on sunday).

Downwind, we managed to stay close to Melges24, but maybe the melg crew just had a bad day... All in all, boat is very quick downwind, but sails suprisingly well upwind too.

- no bulb just makes launching and beach exploring much easier as the keel restracts completely into the hull. With bulb it would be better but the question is if this would justifiy the hassle for an average sailor. Gor now i think it is a good compromise.

I am uploading some more pictures... Blue one is in the configuration when we did 18.3 kts of boatspeed, it was blowing 30kts but we were in a big sheltered bay. Other pictures are the same boat with new rig and retractable bowsprit. The sails are Vector Glass laminate, same technology as UK's Tapedrive and come with the boat as a standard equipment.

post-31225-1219326793_thumb.jpg

post-31225-1219326994_thumb.jpg

post-31225-1219327026_thumb.jpg

post-31225-1219327078_thumb.jpg

post-31225-1219327140_thumb.jpg

post-31225-1219327161_thumb.jpg

Not bad looking girl boat in the pics!

I'd love to here more details about importing to the US.

I noticed a Gnav in one of the pics. Standard or optional.

Gnav was tested but after a while we went for classic vang setup. With carbon boom, the gnav arrangement was too problematic and never preformed well enough to justify the complications.

your boat is not high tech by sb3 standards - you have zero spreaders on the rig.

s.

it was never intended to be high tech, but it should be fun to sail and hassle-free. One that can be sailed with a (girl)friend and not a bunch of pros.

Mast reflects this philosophy, is has no spreaders to be simple and easy to mast/dismast as it weights only 14kg. However, the guys at compotech carefully aligned the 0° unidirectionals so that the Longitudinal/Lateral stiffnes of the tube is approximately 30% different - meaning LAT stiffness is 25% bigger than LONG. When you induce a force into the rig, it will therefore prefer to bend in LAT direction. One can bend the rig quite nice with vang.

Again, with spreaders, the rig could be lighter, but then it would complicate trimming, trailering, etc... Open 570 uses catamaran rig with diamonds, just to produce stability to the tube. If the tube would be stronger, they would have only forestay and two side stays, just like Seascape18.

Hehe Solo, by your standards old AC rigs were way more hi-tec than new ones with less spreaders. Not to speak of some Open 60 that have just one or even none.

And Aluminium is obviously more hi-tec than carbon since most of the planes are still made of it.

So you must be right ;)

Solo's humor doesn't translate well to another language...

What would be your estimated price, delivered in a container to the US east coast?

I did some web browsing and the price for a 40ft container from Europe to US would cost arround 4000 US$; i found this site where a guy sent an unltraligh aeroplane kit from Slovenia to Seattle for 4750US$ http://www.pipistrelbuilders.com/purchase_shipping.html

Another note, i think we could fit 4 boats in the container, so there are posibilities to further lower the expense per boat.

When i get something more official, i will surely post it here.

Looks like an interesting boat... at a competitive price point... It definitely seems practical as a day sailor, but what about as a race boat?

I understand that the way to go is one-design but everyone knows that doesn't happen over night. So what about handicap racing? Doesn't PHRF have a minimum LOA and or a minimum balast requirement?

I'm also curious how the bow sprit works... it's missing from some pictures - does that mean it's detachable?

I'm also curious how the bow sprit works... it's missing from some pictures - does that mean it's detachable?

Bowsprit is retractable, there are two bearings on the deck, and the pole slides through. For now there ia a bobstay holding the end of pole down, but we're thinking how we could get away without ... check the pic.

post-31225-1219370581_thumb.jpg

Does look great.

Two up sailings always good = More beer :P

Not sure about the spreaderless set but.... :unsure:

How do you control prebend and pumping?

Small boat l suppose.

Cool as....

Does look great.

Small boat l suppose.

Cool as....

You could run one of these as a tender for your big leadmine shitter mate! It would probably fit on the foredeck all nicely :-)

i550

Length -5.5m

Beam - 2.45m

Draft - 1.55m

Disp, - 350kg

Keel weight -75kg

Sail Area up -22m/sq.

down - 55m/sq. (33sq/m ayso)

Mast length- 7.6m

Boom- 2.5m

Bowsprit- 1.8m

Crew - 3

Seascape 18

LOA- 5.5m

Beam- 2.4m

Draft- 1.3m

Disp- 450kgs

Ballast- 125kg

SA/UP- 23sq/m

DW- 32sq/m gennaker( 55sq/m total)

Mast Length-7.4m

Bowsprit- 1.4m

Boom-3m

pretty well matched in the specs eh? ;) interesting little counterpart if they ever bang heads!

pretty well matched in the specs eh? ;) interesting little counterpart if they ever bang heads!

Ah but does your boat have chines?

All fast boats these days have chines....hold up what am I saying, your boat is the super chine machine!!!

Yeah, would love to know which is quicker, also the Open 5.70 is another one that must be similar speed as well.....

Ah but does your boat have chines?

All fast boats these days have chines....hold up what am I saying, your boat is the super chine machine!!!

Yeah, would love to know which is quicker, also the Open 5.70 is another one that must be similar speed as well.....

fuk i didnt know they were there!! ill have to look closer at them next time! ;):lol:

I emailed Andraz last night and had an answer this AM- props to them for the quick response!

I'm interested in how it does in light air. The Open 5.70, when stacked up against the other 20's, was the slowest in the light with all the beam. WOuld be interested in what PHRF might guess at for rating too.

Hull & deck construction? No mention on website, broshure, etc. ANd I'm guessing the boats are being built in Croatia?

$4k would be a bargain for a container- maybe that's a 20ft? Shipping 10 505's in a 40ft, I seem to remember it costing like $1000 per boat (I could be wrong though).

BTW, some guys have been kicking around the i550 as a new GYA boat here on the Gulf coast to replace the flying scot, so the comparo above is interesting.

On the topic of pricepoint, current Euro to $ puts it around $24000. About the same as an A cat, but you can beach it with a girlfriend instead of a bunch of otherr guys like at an A regatta....

Does look great.

Small boat l suppose.

Cool as....

Small boat - yes.

two up sailin' - not so bad either, more beer for you is one point, another - it is easier to persuade one to go sailing and find time than 2; on the boat can sail with three with great effect if wind 15+

Spreaderless is a bit of controversy. Wingmasts on trimarans and Open60s do not have spreaders but people does not seems to complain that much. The tube is all but simple round piece of carbon, as said b4 it has special designed scantling, with manufacturer, Compotech, we produced 5 thbes before we came to desired effect. More carbon UDs on the sides, different stiffness fore/aft and side, luff curve is about 5cm, can bend the mast nicely with vang, but on other hand it is dead simple to use for amateur sailor...

Pumping? Hmm, did some pretty bad things to the boat and it did not appear to be a problem. Looks that the mast is stiff enough...

I emailed Andraz last night and had an answer this AM- props to them for the quick response!

I'm interested in how it does in light air. The Open 5.70, when stacked up against the other 20's, was the slowest in the light with all the beam. WOuld be interested in what PHRF might guess at for rating too.

Hull & deck construction? No mention on website, broshure, etc. ANd I'm guessing the boats are being built in Croatia?

$4k would be a bargain for a container- maybe that's a 20ft? Shipping 10 505's in a 40ft, I seem to remember it costing like $1000 per boat (I could be wrong though).

Sailing in light is the weak spot of all beamy designs and although one can heel the boat, reducing the drag, it will still be slower that some arrow like designs in under 5kts of wind. Open 570 is a bit heavier compared to us, but with more sail area, so the power to weight ratio is slightly in our favor.

Hull & deck: the boat is built in poliester/glass laminate. We use some sandwich in the deck but the hull uses Soric only. We could go lighter but then the hull would be more fragile when transporting/dry sailing/beaching, etc...

Rudders on the other hand uses epoxy based polimers for bonding of the cores together as we want the blades to be hasslefree.

The hull/dec/structure lamination is done in Croatia, the final assembly is done in Slovenia, close to us, for better control as we do not want to build boomerangs (things that are coming back no matter how hard you throw it away). If i can use the only cold war phrase: trust, but verify!

40 ft container was hired at the beginning of april 2008 for US$ 3500, got the number form a friend who ordered a big shipment from US. With some effort, 4 boats would fit into the container nicely.

Sailing in light is the weak spot of all beamy designs and although one can heel the boat, reducing the drag, it will still be slower that some arrow like designs in under 5kts of wind. Open 570 is a bit heavier compared to us, but with more sail area, so the power to weight ratio is slightly in our favor.

Hull & deck: the boat is built in poliester/glass laminate. We use some sandwich in the deck but the hull uses Soric only. We could go lighter but then the hull would be more fragile when transporting/dry sailing/beaching, etc...

Rudders on the other hand uses epoxy based polimers for bonding of the cores together as we want the blades to be hasslefree.

The hull/dec/structure lamination is done in Croatia, the final assembly is done in Slovenia, close to us, for better control as we do not want to build boomerangs (things that are coming back no matter how hard you throw it away). If i can use the only cold war phrase: trust, but verify!

40 ft container was hired at the beginning of april 2008 for US$ 3500, got the number form a friend who ordered a big shipment from US. With some effort, 4 boats would fit into the container nicely.

That is a pretty yesteryears type of construction - it fits right in there with the SB3 and lasers in terms of technology. Why on earth don't you step up to a fully cored epoxy/glass layup? You would save a lot of Kg's and for such a small boat it would make not much difference in price.

From my experience:

Yes it will increase costs.

No it will not be a big saving on weight on such a small boat.

Not yesteryears are the kind if fibres used (guessing here) its not csm from a gun... but hand placed of the roll.

And biaxials and unis, with only gelcoat with a veil or csm as thin as possible. And soric as bulker...

This can make a light stack. Not that far of to epoxy.

3-4000 USD would be a pretty average price from Med/Black Sea ports. Can be as low as around 2300 from Atlantic/North Sea ports. These numbers accurate as of May 2008.

Thanks Clean for verification on container $$'s. My data must be either old, or for a round trip, or just plain wrong.

From the photos:

Boats with & without lifelines.

Boat with wood floor.

Options, or just things tried out in development?

Lifelines and teak cockipit were tested and both rejected.

Lifelines are not only unnesessary but also quite pain in the ass since they push you forward when the boat heels. Boat will have footstraps - quite short ones to prevent extreme hiking.

Teak was warmly welcomed especialy from girlfriends of the sailors who saw it as a much more plesant material too sunbathe on. But its weight and cost is considerable and since we want to keep class strict one design it was scraped as well.

Looks good to me.

I have an 18' TY - 1975 Careel in which we enjoy one design racing (very few TY classes have the numbers - 20 at the last Nationals). There are other small TY's in Oz (Gem 550, Hartley etc) and there is a move to bring the Skippi 650 over (Sailaway has brought two over but these are the cruising versions). There are also mad bastards like Tokyo Trash Baby.

Thankfully (but unfortunately) I don't have the opportunity to even try to invest but if I did this would definitely be a close choice. 120kgs in the keel would suit well, the Careel Mk1 has about 85 (in a 20mm plate of steel) and the more recent Mk3 has 180kgs in a cast iron centreboard (38mm thick) - makes it more 'yacht like' so they say. Sailaway want A$45k for the Skippi (which sells for around E30k).

Would be great for the huge expanse of closed waters we have near Sydney.

Oh, lifelines don't work on boats this small, they are pretty near dangerous. Mine came with them and after one breezy race they went.

I can dream!

BTW, some guys have been kicking around the i550 as a new GYA boat here on the Gulf coast to replace the flying scot, so the comparo above is interesting.

Maybe I'm late, but are you serious? That would be great news in my opinion. Will the GYA be forming any committees to look into this?

To Jazzyfoot's comments above- couple of problems with S18 and PHRF. Most regattas have a min length allowed. KWRW it's 24', Charleston it's 22. Also, usually specifies min crew 3.I suppose you could fudge it and leave the pole out, or petition the organizers. Soem righting moment data from the builder might convince them too.

No problem with lack of lifelines though. Footstraps might be an issue though. But if the vipers can race at CRW adn NOOD's, I'm sure the S18 could work around these issues. We just need a couple of containers of boats to get a start.

Would be great for the huge expanse of closed waters we have near Sydney.

Oh, lifelines don't work on boats this small, they are pretty near dangerous. Mine came with them and after one breezy race they went.

could't agree more on the lifelines. They are fucking annoying on a boat like this, too low to actually help, and pushing you fwd when heeling. Without them, sailing is much more comfortable. In order to feel better (=safer) we put on footstraps.

another reason why Seascpae is good - chicks like it too....

now there's a shot for the promotional literature...

Is that a well in the cockpit floor for the outboard?? (Pic from the Sorry for the goofy lookin guy in the pic. Sorry for the comment if you are the goofy lookin guy.)

IMG_4845.jpg

(Pic from the gallery. Sorry for the goofy lookin guy in the pic. Sorry for the comment if you are the goofy lookin guy. Hope this one makes up for it.)

IMG_4858.jpg

DO IT!!

It is actualy. But only on prototypes. For production we kicked it out, since although it is practical when crusing, it is heavy and is never really dry.

We use http://www.torqeedo.com/en/hn/products.html electric engines now to avoid smell of gasoline in the cabin.

What HP do you need to push it? Where do you store it?

electric motors were all that was allowed on the Austrian lakes when I was there, so no suprises going electric. Since the first few boats were sold there, logical...

Drove 950 km down to (and back from) Portoroz, Slovenia with my sons last weekend for a test sail of SeaScape18.

What can I say this boat is amazing.

Note as a preliminary remark, that my experience with this kind of boats is limited. I've learned sailing on dinghies for some years and I am chartering 37 to 40 ft cruisers since about 4 years, which brought me to Greece, Corsica, Turkey and Denmark.

I own a Jeanneau Sun Fast 20 sinve some time and did various trips with it, including a one week, 200+ nm trip in the Baltic Sea last summer. This just for you to understand my comments in the perspective of my subjective impression.

We had a beautiful weekend with clear skies and up to 28 deg C (and this in mids of November), with wind in the teenth and gusts in the 15th.

The bay of Portoroz is open to the west, with the wind coming from NE, sea state was calm within the bay, and more agitated as you got out of the inner bay.

The boat 's got a CE design category of "C", a yardstick or other rating is not (yet) available. Andraz and Kristian are working towards a one design class. Boat production is on plan, however I will not disclose details and leave this to Andraz and Kristian, in case they want to provide this info.

For me, she looks great, not only from the back.

She was on the trailer, and had to be rigged bottom up, which was good to see as it was straight forward and fast.

Andraz was kind enough to take us for two rides, so we were four on the boat (Andraz, my two sons,me), some 340 kg of body I'd guess. Quite some load for a boat with a displacement of 450 kg.

Needless to say this is a fast boat, despite of the load with four persons. Jugding myself as a sportive cruiser for me it was very impressive to sail along with a Bavaria 38 at the same, and even better, speed.

Then came the gennaker into play. The feel was like putting on the turbo charger, just amazing. First time in my live I sailed 12 knots. Here is a speed graph of the two trips from my handheld GPS:

see pic 2

The ranges where speed goes higher than 8 indicate the gennaker runs. Maybe the gusts were a little more than 15 when we peaked 12 knots.

Although Andraz predicted wet sailing it wasn't bad wet at all. Sure there were few splatters, however never as much as I expected.

Then Andraz said 'let's go easy', veered the main a little bit and let go the tiller. He walked around the cockpit and foredeck explaining us this and hat detail, she went strait taking the gusts easy, amazing.

Upwind heel was noticeable, though easily acceptable, if... All of us (but Andraz, of course) found ourselves once hanging down in the lee, and then climbing up to the windward side of the cockpit. The boat ignored our ignorance, amazing.

I didn't miss the lifelines, which I find essential on lager boats. I'm sure they would be counterproductive here.

All in all a great weekend of fast sailing.

Andraz and Kristian are great guys. It was an honor on its own to sail with a minitransat sailor. Andraz announced the wind speed without having any electronics. He sees the gusts coming (as I do, however) he knowns *exactly* when they hit and advises us well in advance 'gust coming - three, two, one, now'. Amazing, If for nothing else, I learned alot on how to sail the gennacker (it's 20 qm on my Sf20, not 32 as on the sc18). We had lots of talks, just great guys, cheers and thanks to them to mess around with us.

In my opinion they manage this project very seriously, best of good luck to them for the SC18 project.

Will I buy it? No. I'll stay with my SF20 for a while. I'm enjoying the great honor that my wife loves sailing -- because she reads while sailing. 'Uhah, watch out, my book's getting wet' she says, if it's getting wilder. She reads the approach instructions to the next harbor/marina to me, if necessary she reads it three times for me. I would be seasick reading a fraction of it, Nine kn we did last summer. With what I learned this weekend I might be able to push my SF20 to 11 kn. In my age (56) a little more comfort appeals

Will my son buy it? Probably yes, if he can sort out his budget. It appears to that he heard the violins...

post-16928-1227662368_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the impression of the seascape addi, I'm still waiting for more of a comparison to similar size sports boats but it was nice to read yours all the same.

Anyone else been on the seascape?

News page got updated with downloadable newsletter and some fresh news.

www.seascape18.com/blog

Things are moving and we cannot complain - we got to sailnumber GER 009 in about 3 months. First races announced and more orders in line.

I have sailed this weekend on Sescape and loved it.

The boat is easy to launch and assemble. When sailing, there are only 3 sheets to control (main, jib and gennaker) which means you get to enjoy sailing.

We had about 15 knots of wind and our top speeds were 11+ knots and the boat was very easy to control. Lots of fun.

The price is 17500 Euro + VAT. It includes one design sails. The only options you can add are trailer and outboard.

There is a cool video of the boat on this site: http://www.sailtube.tv/index.php?action=news&id=725

Hi guys,

Quick update on Seascape 18 project, that is actually not a project anymore, but is with 22 sold boats becoming a class. We just finished our first OD race with 5 boats from 3 countries attending and first workshop on tactics and strategy on ww/lw courses held by Tome Basic, Damiani AC team sailing coach and also owner of Seascape 18.

Some nice videos about event can be found on our news blog:www.seascape18.com/blog

Report was also published on dailysail:

And some photos:

Ana_Lukanc_01.jpg

Ana_Lukanc_05.jpg

Hey Andraz,

Where did the first German one go? I would love to go for a test.

Cheers

Armin is picking her up on 20th of march. I don't know where he plans to keep her but I think he lives in Munchen. He also has dedicated website: www.seascape18.de

You can download our latest newsletter from our news blog www.seascape18.com/blog - it has info about number of boats in particular regions.

Congrats. That is REALLY great news.

Keep it up.

Go the sporties !!!

Hey Andraz,

Where did the first German one go? I would love to go for a test.

Cheers

Armin is picking her up on 20th of march. I don't know where he plans to keep her but I think he lives in Munchen. He also has dedicated website: www.seascape18.de

You can download our latest newsletter from our news blog www.seascape18.com/blog - it has info about number of boats in particular regions.

yes, i live in Munich and there is also the boat. for anybody who is interested, feel free to contact me (pm or www.seascape18.de). I'm looking forward to here from you...

Last Friday I sailed the first Seascape 18 in the Netherlands and I am impressed with this little boat.

Before we could sail we had to launch the boat, stepping the mast is very easy. Total time from trailer to sailing is very quick.

The wind on Friday was around 20 knots and this boat is fast downwind.

No electronics but a chaseboat estimated that we did at least 13 knots.

The bowwave was spraying into the cockpit, real fun and the boat is very controllable at these speeds.

Close hauled we did better then 5 knots.

The boat feels save and stable but it is a small light boat. The chined hull however provides plenty stability and power and she doesn't feel tippy.

It is regular 'micro mini transat'. If I compare, minis feel like small yachts and the Seascape like a keelboat.

I would not take the Seascape to cross the Northsea but certainly to discover the Waddenzee, perhaps take her for a coastal Northsea daytrip on a good day.

Lifting the keel is very easy and without much effort. I can see myself planing over the Waddenzee and then drying her out on a sandbank during a summer holiday trip with my wife.

In all, the Seascape 18 seems a very good boat for a very good price.

The performance is what I expected or better (so really good), the handling is easy and not intimidating.

A boat that makes a experienced sailor smile all day (me) but also can be sailed and enjoyed by a beginning sailor.

Hans

This summer, I did very nice crusing with my girlfriend on Seascape18, for 2 weeks! We did around 200 nm, all on sails, plus 2 regattas, one navigational, 60 nm.

Cooking on the boat, fishing and having really good time. We had only electrical outboard, but it was used only one day when there was no wind and for manouvres in the harbours.

Complete story you can find on the blog, use Google translator because it is only in Croatian :)

http://blog.seascape.hr/post/Od-Sukosana-d...a-i-nazad-.aspx

http://blog.seascape.hr/post/Od-Sukosana-d...d-nastavak.aspx

There will be the a german (unofficial) Seascape18 Race in the middle of July.

The sailing club SEFSTA e.V. from Lake of Starnberg (near Munich) will do his every-year Race "Maria-Hirth Gedächtnis Preis" from 17th to 18th of July. On this way especially all Seascape18 Sailors are welcome!

Munich (Starnberger See)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=de&geocode=&q=am+Schwaiblbach,+82541+Ambach&sll=47.85419,11.33807&sspn=0.007804,0.022724&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Am+Schwaiblbach,+Ambach+82541+M%C3%BCnsing,+Bad+T%C3%B6lz-Wolfratshausen,+Bayern,+Deutschland&ll=47.854523,11.338406&spn=0.007804,0.022724&z=16

Starting Fee:

Boat, Skipper and crew of 1: 30€

Boat, Skipper and crew of 2: 40€

Timetable:

Saturday

ca. 10h : Skipper's meeting

11h : 1. Start

evening : Sailors evening with common dinner this is in the starting fee included.

Sunday

10h : Ready to start. Rest of the races

2hours after Last Race price giving with Snacks and Drinks

registration form:

Internet Maria Hirth 22.pdf (german, english will follow)

(check-in deadline 13th of july, see registration form)

for more information:

www.sefsta.de

www.seascape18.de

http://www.seascape18.com/blog/?page_id=2

or

armin@seascape18.de

pm to me...

Has it raced against the 5.70? How does it compare?

Plans to bring to the US? (got to love the stronger dollar)

If its gone up against a 5.70, it was in Europe. Don't think that had happened here yet. Interesting little boats.

If its gone up against a 5.70, it was in Europe. Don't think that had happened here yet. Interesting little boats.

how did it do against 5.70? which one is likely to be stickier in light air?

There is one in New Orleans. Spring deliveries are still possible at great prices considering the strong US dollar.

Is there a link you can give us for more info?

There is one in New Orleans. Spring deliveries are still possible at great prices considering the strong US dollar.

Is there a link you can give us for more info?

All the info is already in this post, but here is a quick summary of links (dealer/factory contact links are on the webpage):

• www.thinkseascape.com
  • www.facebook.com/thinkseascape
  • www.jabuka27.com (for Seascape 27)

Ps - If you are in the US or countries not yet represented, please contact the factory directly.

Has anyone on the forum raced a Seascape 18?

I'm about to take delivery on one and am interested in such things as tuning, and whether people lift the centerboard while racing downwind, etc.

Is there a forum for such questions on this boat in Europe, (in English)?

Thanks for any info.

There is now a US dealer in Kittery Maine, so hopefully there will be more of these boats in the US.

Has anyone on the forum raced a Seascape 18?

I'm about to take delivery on one and am interested in such things as tuning, and whether people lift the centerboard while racing downwind, etc.

Is there a forum for such questions on this boat in Europe, (in English)?

Thanks for any info.

There is now a US dealer in Kittery Maine, so hopefully there will be more of these boats in the US.

You can start here www.seascape18.de. The 18 can now be seen in Kittery and later in the season in Canada.

Hello I want to see some more pics, So I will able to think on buying it and tell the estimated price.

Broad Reach Sailing

Visit www.thinkseascape.com and you will find lots of information including the contact information of the UK dealer (assuming you are in the UK, if not contact your local dealer or the factory rep direct at jon@thinkseascape.com
). Youtube and www.facebook.com/thinkseascape are also good places to look.

In case you missed it (http://sailinganarchy.com/2015/07/25/test-drive-2/ - there is a Seascape meet coming weekend in Kittery, Maine - see below for details. If you like to kick the tires (both Seascape 18 and 27) and meet fellow Seascapers, there are still a few limited places left.

Does anyone has a report on this event?

Cheers,

Thomas successfully completed his 750NM R2AK race and jumped on a plane to do the 300NM Chicago-Mackinac race!! Here is an extract of his R2AK blog (see facebook.com/thinkseascape for more information):

Finish line bell rung, handshakes all round, beer in hand, and awaiting the US Customs Officer for my official re-entry into US waters, I had completed what the previous year’s conditions had blockaded. Race to Alaska complete. And with that, the Seascape 18 now held the R2AK record (unofficial) for the first and fastest monohull of any size to be sailed solo in the race.

The good news is that Seascape US and Seascape Canada is offering a 10% pre-show discount on the Seascape 18 and 24 so if you act fast one could be yours! The 24 has arrived NY and will be available for demo sails starting August 27 (Portsmouth NH), but places are limited. Official NA debut will be Annapolis.

Great!!!!! Thanks for the update Svein.

HomoSapien, There is a dealer in Maine, http://seascapeusa.net. The site is a little low on information.

I am a multihull sailor, however I really, really, really like this Seascape 18.

Will the Seascape 18 be at the Annapolis Boat Show?

Does anyone know the price range in the U.S.?

Cheers,

There are 18's on both the east and west coast plus Florida. With the Seascape 24 expected in a few days, it is the most likely boat for Annapolis with the 27 due to the logistics of bringing the whole family. Looking to buy an 18 or 24 now and qualify for a pre-show discount - just say I sent you :-)

Hi Svein,

Thanks again.

Please note that 90% (10% discount) of an unknown number is an unknown number :)

Cheers,

Hi Svein,

Thanks again.

Please note that 90% (10% discount) of an unknown number is an unknown number :)

Cheers,

I don't understand why no one will ever say... They built it, they are presumably proud of it (and aren't ashamed to ask money for it) and I assume they want to sell as many as they can profitably make. Just put out an MSRP. Why not?

Hi all,

Quick question on this boat.

On the articles I read that upwind it maxed at 5 knots.

I know it planes downwind. Is it capable of planing upwind? At 5knots max upwind it seems that it only does displacement mode.

Does anyone knows?

Cheers,

best VMG upwind is around 5-5.2 kts. More than that and you will be loosing pointing ability. Pointing too much will not work as you will drift more. With boats like these, you need flow around foils to get lift ...

There are some rumors about stellar upwind speed when using racks, but so far, i haven't seen any GPS tracks to prove it. But they do look good.

post-66885-0-78695400-1471873284_thumb.jpg

I guess 5 knots VMG means higher actual speed over water. Is that the case?

Interesting on the Racks. Hmm!!!!

On the Seascape 18 Raid Atlantique video, I saw a guy with a trapeze. Trapezing is one of my favorite things to do.

I would think that trapezing would have the same effect than racks ( at least for one person). Do you think trapezing would help upwind speed?

Thanks,

Don't get me wrong; the 5+kts is speed on the water, VMG is clearly less. after all, this is jut 18ft boat...

That trapeze story is something like Jason from Friday, 13th movie. It simply does not want to die. First trapeze was installed by an owner who wanted to sail with two kids who were bored, so he installed trapeze so that they had some fun. After that it was something our french dealer liked and tried to use/promote a great deal too much. It brings some extra stability but it is something that simply does not go along the story about the 18.

Racks are something that increase stability, but doing that much more comfortable compared to trapeze. Plus two person can use it. The racks were originally meant for Silver Rudder Race (134nm long solo race in Denmark) where Seascape 18s can compete. In the absence of any limiting rules, the idea was to increase stability (= more speed) and a bit of safety with that.

Kristian,

It seems like you really do not like the trapeze idea.

Thanks,

As an owner of Nacra Infusion and an A class cat, I am quite fond of trapezing but not on Seascape 18.

As an old saying goes" there is a time and place for everything"

(and it's called High School :)

What a great looking boat to watch sail.

The Seascape 18 and some shots of Thomas in Johnstone Strait, Kelsey Bay [sayward], his last stop on land before reaching Ketchikan. That is a calm Johnstone Strait and he just made it to Kelsey Bay before the tide flooded. That is a wind fence on the breakwater.

The fact Thomas sailed fully loaded, 98% of the time, for 750 miles, with the help of a Code 0, is a testament to the 18 foot boat's light air abilities. He also sailed it back home over 400 miles.

He also set the unofficial solo monohull time record for the R2AK

post-105471-0-72890000-1472427081_thumb.jpg

post-105471-0-09984100-1472427088_thumb.jpg

post-105471-0-73182100-1472427091_thumb.jpg

post-105471-0-31889700-1472427095_thumb.jpg

post-105471-0-25245300-1472428129_thumb.jpg