LeoV

Seascape 18

Call me crazy, BUT. Do I correctly observe that MANY of the solo skippers in the Silverrudder 2016 event do not appear to be wearing any type of PFD? Last time I checked, that water is really cold. If they fall or slip overboard, how long do they think they will last as the boat sails on? Maybe I am too sensitive to cold as I grew up in Miami.

it is better not to fall overboard thatn to wear PFD

:)

P.s. 420 open places for Silverruder 2017 was taken in less than 2 days. 30 Seascape crews applied. Will be nice to see all of them on the starting line.

No, just wondering if you are really that casual about safety and the PFD.

If you fall over in cold water, solo sailing, with a pfd, how are you getting picked up in time? I don't neccesarily agree, but solo safety mindset is a bit different to crewed

please, let's not booger up a good thread with yet another debate about pfds. And yes, totally impressed with silverrudder 2017. Y'all are definitely doing something right.

after two minitransats and all the accompanying (mostly solo)miles of sailing rather small boats on the open sea, I do have a rather strong personal opinion on PFDs. People generally tend to put way to much trust in them and it is the wrong concept. You should be preventing the fall overboard and not relying on PFDs. In this way people get the false sense of security, especially when sailing solo on open water.

In 99% of the time you will fall overboard when taking a piss, or changing sails or doing whatever monkey business you at that time feel the need to do. BUT doing to the boat will sail on autopilot and having PFD instead of safety harness will allow you nothing more than to gently wave the boat goodby, watching it sail quietly into the sunset.

I rarely wore PFDs but did wear safety harness every time I felt the need to do so. It was damn annoying (less than swimming though) but it goes along with the show.

On a side note, how many PFDs do you see on Vendee skippers? Not on the start but now, when the media circus is over

re PFDs...its all about applying the right tool for the job. PFDs do a great job in situations where timely rescue is likely, timely being dependent on water temp, and someone knowing you need to be rescued. Solo sailing, in an environment where there is no one to come rescue you in a timely manner, even if you can summon them, make a PFD less effective. The big push for PFDs is for the recreational boater in a "rescue likely" environment...

I'm looking at antifouling our Seascape 18 after we take delivery to Croatia. I've been doing a little reading on the subject and have been leaning towards a self polishing paint such as Micron 66. Any thoughts about this paint and whether this would be a good choice?

I'm looking at antifouling our Seascape 18 after we take delivery to Croatia. I've been doing a little reading on the subject and have been leaning towards a self polishing paint such as Micron 66. Any thoughts about this paint and whether this would be a good choice?

Depends on your environment (dry sail, salt/fresh water), but Seascape uses Nautix products so you could talk to them.

Ok, the boat will be in salt water on the Dalmation Coast and we intend leaving it in the water from Easter through to the end of August. The boat would be used mainly during the 2 months of summer plus about 2 weeks between Easter and the beginning of July. Sorry if this is too specific but I like a nice smooth hull without pulling it out cleaning it every few weeks.

Depends on the micro location of the place where you leave the boat but no antifouling will stay squeaky clean for half a year without cleaning. Scrubbing the bottom is no big deal on Seascape.

post-66885-0-71476100-1481994660_thumb.jpg

Contact Ivan at www.freespirit.center (email on web page -team). They have 2 18's in the same area so they can give you the information you need. Their boats are in water all season, but are used almost daily. If they are in flowing water its a bit different to a sheltered area. I would probably use the occasional diver if boat is unattended.

Kristian, you can't be serious about a hull being clean for 6 months without antifouling, especially in Croatia ??? I assumed a warm water temp would only cause faster fouling!

I am never serious but the warm water temp is exactly why no matter what goo you put on the boat you will need to clean periodically. Not all is bad however as warm (well, depending who you ask) water again helps on this topic.

Some extra points to consider. 18 was designed as a daysailer. Despite vinylester skin coat, you still need to apply proper osmosis protection with epoxy primers if you want to keep the boat in the water. That is the main point. The rest is more trivial. Soft AF will damage quickly when you will pull the boat on the trailer. Hard matrix AF will work better but the basic concept fo hard AF is that the boat must move in order to get rid of the slimy goo that forms. If the boat does not move, you must provide motion (normally with a sponge)...

As the boat can be capsized in the shallow water, wiping off the bottom is easy. No actual need for diver. Hence the picture.

Thx Kristian, lots of info to think about. I'm assuming the boat in the photo is anti-fouled? Looks like the town of Jezera to me.

I think I am tending towards the hard anti-fouling over an epoxy primer.

Thank you both for your valuable input.

I had 3 reefs in the main for the R2AK - it blows 40 knots in Johnstone Strait on a good day. I got it when heading south.

PFD = back cushion and ditch bag for the solo sailer. Leash and safety harness are for when you fall asleep after 7 days on 7 hours of sleep. PFd plus harness makes it easier for the coasties to find the body so wifey gets life insurance. Also west side of the pond can be a nanny state when it comes to water. Leash also means that the killer whale or sea lion trying to eat you only gets a leg or two not the whole meal deal.

Depends on the micro location of the place where you leave the boat but no antifouling will stay squeaky clean for half a year without cleaning. Scrubbing the bottom is no big deal on Seascape.

attachicon.gifsP4210196.jpg

I'm sewing up the keel stripe in this photo not scrubbing the bottom. Boat had been in the water for about 3 hours at this point. It's not that bad in the Adriatic.

Just out of interest, can anyone tell me the minimum safety equipment that one must have on board for sailing in Croatian waters?

I've tried searching Google but nothing comes up.

Thanks,

John.

Depends on the boat and how far from the coast you sail if it's a Croatian registered boat. If registered in another country you follow their rules. For Croatia you could contact the Free Spirit Sailing Center in Jezera as they have done this for both the Seascape 18 and 24.

Ignore that PHRF question. It has no bearing on your question. I'd be interested to know how the Seascape 18 matches up with a an i550. There are about 4 or more sailing in Croatia and you might meet one.

There is a youtube video of i550 #424 in 20+ knots of breeze learning about "chine steer" when the boat rolls to weather. It is the first time these guys have raced in a hard breeze in the boat and they prove just how tough they are. Good on them

Not many posts new guy, has anyone asked about pictures of your wife or girlfriend?

Sorry, is this question directed at me, and if so, I'm not quite sure what it means?

Nope.

I'm looking for a trailer sailer to race Wed. nights does the SSC 18 have a PHRF rating (at all, or some other rating system # that can be transposed to PHRF) for North America/PNW?

Anyone?

Here: http://www.gya.org/documents/phrf/PHRFList.pdf

Sorry, is this question directed at me, and if so, I'm not quite sure what it means?

Nope.

I'm looking for a trailer sailer to race Wed. nights does the SSC 18 have a PHRF rating (at all, or some other rating system # that can be transposed to PHRF) for North America/PNW?

Anyone?

Here: http://www.gya.org/documents/phrf/PHRFList.pdf

Seascape 18 also has an ORC rating check out list on www.orc.org.

Any news on this boat? Any in the US, specifically any on the Mid-Atlantic region of the US?

Cheers,

Hi there, had a horrific sail 2 days ago south of Darge, Croatia and happened to get caught in the Bura with full sail main up. Problem is the line for winching the keel up is caught in the side of the keelcase. From what I can see it has jumped off the forward pulley due to the slack not being taken up. 

Has anyone got any ideas how to free this?

The keel is fully down at this point in time.

Sounds like a broach without the keel safety pin in place. Although not essential in light conditions, it could permit keel movement in extreme cases. You could try pulling the keel rearwards to loosen the rope. Heeling the boat is also possible, but comes with some risks as someone needs to move the keel while heeled and free the rope. Otherwise get a marina to do it for you.

On 2017-07-24 at 0:39 PM, Black Jack said:

Are there any in Northern California? I am quite interested in seeing one up close.

Is Seattle close enough?

21 hours ago, Black Jack said:

There is more going on here than the failure of luxury sailing yacht builders. The massive disruption in our recreational view of leisure time really fucked thing up in the last 15 years. The death of sail  is because most of us don't share the love of sailing with friends and their families. Moreover many of you only share the love of sailing here in forums. Talk about speedy sports boats, bullshit over priced gear woes, bare show up for community events and rarely invite other uninitiated to beer can yacht club events. Our old boats languish in hundreds of marinas across the country. The reality is many more on the coasts, tens of thousands sail boats are squatters condos for the minimum wage earners, folks barely getting by on social security or or living on their 40% disability checks. The old man who used to come down 3x a week is in a senior home and the trust he set up pays the bills.

To be sure - new boats are expensive. I am looking into a new boat - a seascape 18. To bring one back to San Francisco, it is gonna cost be 50k. For most that is a years salary for the smallest of swiss army knife modern go fast boats.  Things ain't what they were. Hoping they come back isn't the answer and neither is waiting for the boat builders to make something you can afford.

Holy Kamoli Batman- $50k

Below is information I received within the last month regarding Seascape 18, 24 & 27 from Toralf the US rep:

Seascape 18
drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx9mlSj98DJHbllGWlpPeUF0R3M

Seascape 24
drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx9mlSj98DJHZEhvNG1vTWExcTQ

Seascape 27
drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx9mlSj98DJHSWN3djM5R2ZNcTA

Talk soon, Toralf

(207) 703-0307

In the end of July I sent this request to Seascape, mostly on the 27. I looked a bit but did not immediately see a 24 or 27 sub-forum on Anarchy:

Please send me a link or provide access to lots of photogs, complete specs, complete build out from base boat to all options. I live in Hawaii, we have rough channels and lots of wonderful hooting trades. I am looking for a tough little boat to mostly singlehand around the islands and out west & south to the lovely pacific beyond. I am looking at Structures Pogo used 28s and 30, Jeanneau Sun Fast 32 and similar boats as well as your fellow Croation creation the Salona 33. Would you like to get into the competition? Hope so. 

Seascape response was:

Hi
Of course we would like to get included in the comparison! While these are somewhat different boats, with quite a span in prices, I do believe the Seascape 27 is a great alternative. She was created as the ultimate offshore vessel for the single handed sailor, from the perspective of two mini transat sailors. Andraz Mihelin and Kristian Hajnsek each did two tours, and wanted a boat for the recreational market, based upon their experiences. The designer, Samuel Manuard, who also designed their proto 650 boats, designed the 27 to be fun and fast to sail, while also being simple and forgiving.

The boat is laid out for single handling, and the sail plan can easily be set up for any condition. The boat has a deep, heavy swing keel, which provides a lot of stability, as well as the ability to go into shallow bays etc.

The boat is road legal, and we are shipping these in containers to keep the cost down. A boat in sailaway condition (Carbon fiber rig; fully battened main with 3 reefs; jib; interior cushions; head with holding tank; 9.8HP engine with electric start; and interior cushions) is approc $105,000. A typical configuration including masthead gennaker, Code 0 on a furler; electronics etc is approx $135,000. This is delivered in the mainland US; I expect the shipping to Hawaii would add slightly to the cost.

With a place like Hawaii, we would of course also be eager to come and help setting the boat up :). [funny folks they be. . . ] A boat ordered now, will be delivered before the end of the year.

Attached is a link to last years Chi-Mac; as well as specs and prices etc.

Please reach out once you have had a chance to review to discuss further.

Talk very soon, Toralf

Kristian that you for your humor in the these forum postings.

And as a PS: Some material sent with the above note from Seascape includes several reviews and photogs. I will send 4 of the six, and follow with two pastes for the two other attachments.

Seascape 27 BluewaterSailing Review.pdf

Seascape 27 Specs Jan 2017.pdf

Seascape 27 Pricelist Jan 2017.pdf

Seascape 27 Trailer.pdf

Unfortunately I was unable to upload Seascape 27 Flyer at 602 KB and Seascape 27 Sail Mag review 8.2015 at 985 KB. No idea why. Maybe tomorrow?

On 2017-07-28 at 9:40 AM, Port Wine said:

Holy Kamoli Batman- $50k

It would be very hard to reach 50k even fully optioned with sales tax and shipping. Around 30k plus shipping and taxes would be closer.

17 hours ago, gurney35alani said:

In the end of July I sent this request to Seascape, mostly on the 27. I looked a bit but did not immediately see a 24 or 27 sub-forum on Anarchy:

Please send me a link or provide access to lots of photogs, complete specs, complete build out from base boat to all options. I live in Hawaii, we have rough channels and lots of wonderful hooting trades. I am looking for a tough little boat to mostly singlehand around the islands and out west & south to the lovely pacific beyond. I am looking at Structures Pogo used 28s and 30, Jeanneau Sun Fast 32 and similar boats as well as your fellow Croation creation the Salona 33. Would you like to get into the competition? Hope so. 

Seascape response was:

Hi
Of course we would like to get included in the comparison! While these are somewhat different boats, with quite a span in prices, I do believe the Seascape 27 is a great alternative. She was created as the ultimate offshore vessel for the single handed sailor, from the perspective of two mini transat sailors. Andraz Mihelin and Kristian Hajnsek each did two tours, and wanted a boat for the recreational market, based upon their experiences. The designer, Samuel Manuard, who also designed their proto 650 boats, designed the 27 to be fun and fast to sail, while also being simple and forgiving.

The boat is laid out for single handling, and the sail plan can easily be set up for any condition. The boat has a deep, heavy swing keel, which provides a lot of stability, as well as the ability to go into shallow bays etc.

The boat is road legal, and we are shipping these in containers to keep the cost down. A boat in sailaway condition (Carbon fiber rig; fully battened main with 3 reefs; jib; interior cushions; head with holding tank; 9.8HP engine with electric start; and interior cushions) is approc $105,000. A typical configuration including masthead gennaker, Code 0 on a furler; electronics etc is approx $135,000. This is delivered in the mainland US; I expect the shipping to Hawaii would add slightly to the cost.

With a place like Hawaii, we would of course also be eager to come and help setting the boat up :). [funny folks they be. . . ] A boat ordered now, will be delivered before the end of the year.

Attached is a link to last years Chi-Mac; as well as specs and prices etc.

Please reach out once you have had a chance to review to discuss further.

Talk very soon, Toralf

Kristian that you for your humor in the these forum postings.

And as a PS: Some material sent with the above note from Seascape includes several reviews and photogs. I will send 4 of the six, and follow with two pastes for the two other attachments.

Seascape 27 BluewaterSailing Review.pdf

Seascape 27 Specs Jan 2017.pdf

Seascape 27 Pricelist Jan 2017.pdf

Seascape 27 Trailer.pdf

There are plenty of posts on both the 27 and 24 in the forums. From your description, I agree with others that the 27 is the best Seascape model for you. As you are also looking at used boats, here is my 27 in the classifieds section: http://sailinganarchy.com/classifieds/show-ad/?id=2915

17 minutes ago, svein99 said:

It would be very hard to reach 50k even fully optioned with sales tax and shipping. Around 30k plus shipping and taxes would be closer.

From this price list, 50k is a much more realistic figure. 30k is make believe for a delivered boat.

Hey Svein99:

I'll look at the chi-mac video again then check out you listing and recontact. If I recall I think there was beer properly shipped and utilized. . . . Congrats

40 minutes ago, Port Wine said:

From this price list, 50k is a much more realistic figure. 30k is make believe for a delivered boat.

I'd recommend to talk to Toralf. There is stuff on the price list that is mutually exclusive and other things that may or may not make sense for your sailing needs. The boat is sailing ready in its base configuration with high quality race grade fittings and gear (been mentioned before and can't be empathized enough). Everything else is kind of individual, dependent on your situation and I think you can walk away with a nice configuration that's smack between the two numbers that have been mentioned (+ delivery). 

On 8/16/2017 at 9:11 PM, derekm said:

What handicap numbers does the SeaScape 18 rate at? e.g. ISC

If you speak to the UK distributor, Pete Wanstall, he should be able to give you IRC and ORC rating info. I have the IRC rating somewhere, Ill see if i can find it.

the rating I got by revalidating the previous owners application is 933

which puts it amongst Contessa 34, Elan 31, MG335, sunfast 32

How will the Seascape 18 do in PHRF?  I understand that one has a provisional rating of 151.

Nice rating!!!  Just like my favorite Rum.  :-)

Any idea of how many Seascape 18 in the USA?

Cheers, 

On 12/18/2016 at 7:51 AM, Kristian Seascape said:

As the boat can be capsized in the shallow water, wiping off the bottom is easy. No actual need for diver. Hence the picture.

Careen is the word. Worth doing just you can drop such a lovely sounding word into conversation.  Seascape 18,  easy to careen

it even rhymes

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/careen

the other definition of the word probably comes from wild movement showing a ship below the water line/

• Like 2

Seriously considering purchasing a Seascape 18 or Bene First 18. Now that these have been sailed for a few years I would like to hear thoughts from owners. Any issues with the boats or recommendations when looking at used boats?

Also, any leads on used boats for sale in the western USA? 

I've had mine for 3 years now and I really like it and will keep her for a few more. No regrets or issues with the boat but I'd recommend to spend some time thinking about what you want to do with it. Chances are you'll be alone and my experience with the establishment has been that they'll either not let you participate in races (e.g. missing lifelines) or you're pitted against twice the size boats with 150% headsails in the non-Spi division where you're not allowed to fly the Gennaker or Code 0.

No interest in racing. After 30 years I'm burnt out on that. Looking for a performance oriented assym boat that is fun to sail, easy to launch, designed in this century, well suited for SH or DH sailing and can be Torqeedoed back to the harbor when the wind dies. This boat seems to check all the boxes.

It checks all the boxes for that and why/how I use it. Of the various extras I can highly recommend the extra storage hatch in the cockpit sole. The space is otherwise inaccessible and it's really useful for storing the anchor and fenders.

Absolutely no issues with boat. I have now 7th summer and boat would be in perfect condition save for some user induced minor things.

In my view checks all your specified targets. Really easy to lauch and very fun to sail.

Have mostly done DH and SH.

There have been couple gear upgrades over the years and in my view new outhaul setup is better (in process of changing that on my boat). Also jib tracks are better in changing conditions vs. just having multiple clew holes. Both of these really simple things to fix on your own.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the input thus far. I like the idea of the cockpit floor hatch. That was handy on my melges24. Not having much luck finding a Seascape in the U.S.,  so I've been exploring a new Bene First 18. They offer the cockpit floor hatch option and I'm awaiting a photo from them. I don't know if it's a clean, flush design hatch with a storage well or simply a hole in the floor with a deck hatch cover to trip over and leak water into the boat?

Anybody know of a Seascape18 for sale in the western US? I know of two in the NE and SE, but prefer something closer. Somebody mentioned seeing one at Brickyard in the SF Bay area. Still there and possibly for sale? 

9 hours ago, DWD said:

Anybody know of a Seascape18 for sale in the western US? I know of two in the NE and SE, but prefer something closer. Somebody mentioned seeing one at Brickyard in the SF Bay area. Still there and possibly for sale? 

Last time I saw it it had moved to RYC. It's been three months or so since I walked the Storage yard.

On 9/22/2019 at 12:53 AM, familysailor said:

Last time I saw it it had moved to RYC. It's been three months or so since I walked the Storage yard.

Thanks. I sent you a message.

7 hours ago, DWD said:

Thanks. I sent you a message.

Got it. You may be able to contact the owner through SA. His log on is "Fippy"

Here's the thread I was referencing in my reply message: 

I purchased a 2015 Seascape 18 and it's on the way across the country. Spoke with fippy and it sounds like we have at least three on the west coast now. Maybe someday the First 18 will catch on and we'll have a fleet?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, derekm said:

welcome to club of seascape 18 owners,,, now to finish varnishing the mast :)

Say what? I guess I can see the UV benefits but opening that can of maintenance hell is really worth it?

After handling an older carbon fibre mast , boom, bowsprit, and rudder tillers you will know why.

The boat I purchased does not have sail numbers and I'm trying to determine what number to use. My HIN on the transom plate is hull #283, but inside the inspection port there is a plaque stamped Seascape 276 and 276 written on the hull (inside) with a sharpie. I contacted another owner and he has the same hull # discrepancy inside vs outside HIN plate and he uses the number inside the hull. I asked the question through thinkseascape.com and got a reply from a Beneteau field manager in Slovenia and he told me to use the 283 hull number that is part of the HIN on the transom, which makes sense. I'm going to use the 283 HIN number as suggested, but I'm curious what others have done for their sail number.

As for varnishing the spars mine still have a heavy urethane type coating (this boat has not been used much since 2015, maybe 6 outings). The tillers were bare so I did give them a couple coats of clear urethane. Waxed/buffed the hull and sanded/oiled the teak and it looks brand new.

I'm really excited about this boat. Just received my new 1103C Torqeedo (VERY quiet), and I'm hauling the boat 700 miles tomorrow to S. Calif where I will drysail it.

You might get some help here: https://www.facebook.com/thinkseascape/

Or here:https://www.facebook.com/groups/SeascapeOC/

You need to be on Facebook to see what's up. You need to join the Seascape OC to read or comment. Lot's of owners with questions and solutions for all the various models.

I have just ordered a Beneteau First 18. It’s expected to be delivered to San Francisco Bay early next spring. I sure would like to see that a West coast fleet of the 18th (Beneteau/Seascape) will develop.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stephan Sonnenschein said:

I have just ordered a Beneteau First 18. It’s expected to be delivered to San Francisco Bay early next spring. I sure would like to see that a West coast fleet of the 18th (Beneteau/Seascape) will develop.

FYI, I was looking into a new First 18 before purchasing my used Seascape and there are several new boats available to purchase in the U.S. ready to go.

For me personally delivery early next year is perfect. I don’t need the boat earlier than that. What I would like to know beforehand is if there is somebody already who has practical experience with the cockpit hatch they offer lately as an option. It looks to me like a good idea and so far I have included it in the order but I’d like to get a confirmation that it is actually well working, water tight, confidence to be stepped on in maneuvers etc. 
And then the next question would be - what’s a preferred way to have it opening - hinge oriented to the stern or bow?

When I was considering a new boat I also was trying to decide on the cockpit hatch. I had the dealer send me photos of it and it is simply a hole cut in the floor with a deck hatch installed. There is no well or supporting structure and the hatch top surface protrudes about an inch above the floor rather than being a flush design. Others like having it for fenders, docklines, PFDs, etc. and I can see that, but for me I had decided to not order it. If it had an integrated well/structure and was a flush deck design I would have ordered it. My concern was leaking, tripping on it and potentially making the floor a bit 'spongy'.

I’ve seen some photos too. It’t looks more like half an inch to me over the surface and I assume they put it in a position where the existing deck supporting stringers are close but if you just look at photos it’s still guessing so I’d like to talk to somebody who actually has one. The deciding factor on the benefits side for me is if it can fit the torqeedo (in three parts) in there and I was assured by the dealer.

2 hours ago, Stephan Sonnenschein said:

I’ve seen some photos too. It’t looks more like half an inch to me over the surface and I assume they put it in a position where the existing deck supporting stringers are close but if you just look at photos it’s still guessing so I’d like to talk to somebody who actually has one. The deciding factor on the benefits side for me is if it can fit the torqeedo (in three parts) in there and I was assured by the dealer.

I have the hatch and the Torqeedo. The position of the hatch is right after the keelbox with stringers and is laminated to the deck. There is no flex in the deck. The hatch itself is indeed half an inch or maybe even less (it's a Plastimo hatch, you can probably find the spec on the Internet). It's not the most sturdy hatch but I don't know why you would want to continuously step on it. Tacking and Jibing alone is easiest if you do it forward of the main sheet (read: the hatch is not in your path). It's a small boat and storage of any kind is a premium. I use it for the Anchor, Fenders and a few other kick knacks. I have never tried but I believe the Torequeedo would fit. I personally use the Torqeedo bag and throw it on the bunk.

Here's a video of the hatch I took a while ago. As mentioned, the space forward of the hatch is blocked off by the keelbox and stringers.

Thank you very much. The video is really helpful! Most of it looks like I had expected. I still have a rest of doubt about how you would put the torqeedo outboard down there. I think there is room but is the hatch actually wide enough to maneuver the shaft successfully down below. Probably to much to ask - but is there a chance that the next time you go to your boat you could give it a try and let me know, take a photo/video?

We have a brand new stock First 18 in the UK that could ship! Not sure on the $/£ but it must look quite favourable at the moment

I've been sailing the boat (SSC 18), for a couple months now and I have to say this boat has far exceeded my expectations. I sail it SH with either the spinnaker or gennaker and it is easily managed. DH with the wife is also fun since she isn't semi-terrified and actually focuses more on whale watching. Launching is effortless and takes no time - covers off, main on, toss the Torqeedo on the bunk and tow it 200 yards to the ramp.

It would be fun to get Seascape/First 18s together a couple times a year on the west coast. Sounds like there are 3-4 in CA?

Doug

Seascape 18 #283