Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tomtriad

Navman 3100 Wind

Does anyone have experience with this wind instrument? I'm thinking of installing one, and would appreciate some feedback.

I've had the navman depth, speed & wind - all linked - for a couple of years. Lost all instruments due to water in the wind 3100 display - with the box, all connected so all went away. The good news is that they covered everything under warranty. Now owned by Navico and I would think the coming products would be pretty good. The navman stuff seems to function well, but not as durable - keep it dry seems to be the order of the day. The displays seem the weak link. The wind also seems a little power hungry to me, it goes down first and pretty quickly compared to the other instruments.

Hi, I have Navman and have had some drama with the displays in the past, but thankfully the company has replaced them

The company as stated above is now named Northstar but owned by Navico.

They have improved the displays as they were a real PINTA. The internal sealing around the LCD has been modified.

The service is good ( here in oz) although you do need to be a bit assertive and tenacious with getting stuff done.

Overall I am satisfied with the gear and it is fairly easy to set up yourself. Pay particular attention to the interconnections and use good watertight? water resistant? junction boxes and cable glands for your terminations if they are exposed to spray.

Although the displays are supposed to be watertight from the front it may be an idea to try to shield them, with some sort of deflector or visor, from direct spray rain and green water. I have yet to do this.

Cheers, Jim B)

My 3100 Wind always says I'm on starboard tack ... gotten me into trouble a few times. ;)

Besides water in the display issues that are pretty common I have never been able to keep the wind direction pointer accurate for any length of time. PITA to always have to re calibrate.

Does anyone have experience with this wind instrument? I'm thinking of installing one, and would appreciate some feedback.

My boat came with a Navman Wind 3100 interfacing with the onboard GPS for true wind computation. I used it for my first season, to the extent that it was useful (not so much). I replaced it over the winter with a Nexus NX2 system for dramatically better results.

The wand works. The display has a crack in the glass, but it does work. Not sure if that would be worth repairing (vice replacing). If you're interested, send me a PM.

The routine seems to be this: Install the Navman 3100. Be happy with the install for a short while. Experience problems with the products performance or its not working at all. Contact distributor. They quickly replace the buggy product with one that works. Problems go away. Remaining is are one or more sniggling little errors with calibration that you learn to live with.

No such scenario for Nexus. Seems to be good stuff from the gitgo.

Ah, a topic I know well, Navman 3100 devices. But before I say anything, I want to state for the record, I have never dealt with an organization like Navman/Northstar/Navico when it comes to superior customer support. They have been EXCELLENT, the best company I have ever dealt with as far as supporting their products and keeping a customer happy with little or no fuss.

post-10747-1220023771_thumb.jpg

Ok, with that disclaimer, attached is a pic of my personal collection of failed Navman instruments. It shows 1 dead Wind 3100, 3 dead Wind 3150's (when the original 3100 wind died early on, they sent me the 3150 as an upgrade), 1 dead 3100 Depth, and one masthead units. Whats not pictured is another depth unit and another masthead unit that the yard tossed in the dumpster when I had them swap them out.

That pile has accumulated over the past 4 seasons, I bought this equipment when it was new to the U.S., based on a pitch by the US Navman rep at the Newport Boat Show 5 years ago. I did not want to buy Raymarine and I could not afford B&G, so I took a chance with Navman.

So the 1st Depth unit was missing digits in the LCD right out of the box. Since I had the yard install it, they swapped it out and dealt with Navman. Then the 3100 Wind stopped outputting NMEA sentences. Since then, all the replacement units have had segments missing from the displays, except for one 3150 wind that simply stopped working altogether.

I now have a Navico 315 Wind and a brand new masthead unit, but the problem has been I have not gone one full season w/out somekind of failure.

But again, Navico has been awesome, to the point that when I smashed the speed paddlewheel a few weeks ago, I musta hit something, when I sent email to my contact at Navico asking how to BUY a replacement paddlewhen and axle, one arrived in the mail 3 days later for no cost.

So I dont post this here to slam Navman/Navico, only to relate my experience. My only cost since I originally bought the equipment was a crane charge to replace the masthead unit (I admit, I was lazy and didnt feel like climbing the mast, the 2nd masthead unit I swapped out myself). Thats it.

This winter I think I am going to experiment with these units to see if I can bring any back to life. My Navico rep said the missing segments of the LCD was due to the ribbon cable connection to the LCD, a manufacturing problem. So maybe I can Frankenstien a working unit.

He also told me I should have no more problems. We shall see.

Ah, a topic I know well, Navman 3100 devices. But before I say anything, I want to state for the record, I have never dealt with an organization like Navman/Northstar/Navico when it comes to superior customer support. They have been EXCELLENT, the best company I have ever dealt with as far as supporting their products and keeping a customer happy with little or no fuss.

post-10747-1220023771_thumb.jpg

Ok, with that disclaimer, attached is a pic of my personal collection of failed Navman instruments. It shows 1 dead Wind 3100, 3 dead Wind 3150's (when the original 3100 wind died early on, they sent me the 3150 as an upgrade), 1 dead 3100 Depth, and one masthead units. Whats not pictured is another depth unit and another masthead unit that the yard tossed in the dumpster when I had them swap them out.

That pile has accumulated over the past 4 seasons, I bought this equipment when it was new to the U.S., based on a pitch by the US Navman rep at the Newport Boat Show 5 years ago. I did not want to buy Raymarine and I could not afford B&G, so I took a chance with Navman.

So the 1st Depth unit was missing digits in the LCD right out of the box. Since I had the yard install it, they swapped it out and dealt with Navman. Then the 3100 Wind stopped outputting NMEA sentences. Since then, all the replacement units have had segments missing from the displays, except for one 3150 wind that simply stopped working altogether.

I now have a Navico 315 Wind and a brand new masthead unit, but the problem has been I have not gone one full season w/out somekind of failure.

But again, Navico has been awesome, to the point that when I smashed the speed paddlewheel a few weeks ago, I musta hit something, when I sent email to my contact at Navico asking how to BUY a replacement paddlewhen and axle, one arrived in the mail 3 days later for no cost.

So I dont post this here to slam Navman/Navico, only to relate my experience. My only cost since I originally bought the equipment was a crane charge to replace the masthead unit (I admit, I was lazy and didnt feel like climbing the mast, the 2nd masthead unit I swapped out myself). Thats it.

This winter I think I am going to experiment with these units to see if I can bring any back to life. My Navico rep said the missing segments of the LCD was due to the ribbon cable connection to the LCD, a manufacturing problem. So maybe I can Frankenstien a working unit.

Thanks for the feedback - it seems to be the consensus that Navman equipment needs frequent replacing. I think I'll steer clear and go for something a bit more reliable out of the box. It's great to have good customer service, better to not need to resort to it so often.

Faster, can you explain a little about how you plan on "frankensteining"?

I have had a Navman D100 depth sounder for about 10 years. On Saturday it simply remained blank (volts OK). Yesterday I removed it to see if it was serviceable, but the input cables appear to be epoxied into the mounting threaded piece, which means the PCB can't be accessed from behind. This is why I wonder how you plan on working on the devices. Of course, the D100 is an early model and maybe the 3100 series are different.

I have to say that the interior of the device looks absolutely as new - no corrosion at all. However, I broke a couple of the plastic threads for the mounting screws, which don't seem too robust. Overall, though, I am impressed. Of course, now with the Navico/Simrad connection, the stuff could have turned to crap :(

R

Not to be a troll, but I'm kind of surprised about people talking about how great their support is. I have the Wind 3100 and Multi 3100, and have contacted them several times only to get no reply, or a "check the website" reply. Also, for the record, the website is pretty terrible when it comes to finding what you're looking for.

I was going to experiment on the devices, i havent attempted to take them apart yet, maybe they aren't able to be disassembled... What I was going to do was to to take the parts I know to be good, like the LCD display from one of the units and mate it to the motherboard(??) of one that works but has a bad display.

As for their support, I can only tell you that they have been great. Meeting the Customer Service rep. face to face probably didnt hurt, he gave me his card and so far, every single inquiry and request has been met with a quick response.

Not to be a troll, but I'm kind of surprised about people talking about how great their support is. I have the Wind 3100 and Multi 3100, and have contacted them several times only to get no reply, or a "check the website" reply. Also, for the record, the website is pretty terrible when it comes to finding what you're looking for.

Second that! If I go to Navman's website and hit "contact us", they direct me (as a US customer) to a page that only has FAQs. I've sent emails to the technical support address for the rest of the world, but no response. And if I go to Navico's website, they direct me to Navman. This is not good customer support.

Faster3737, if your support has been so good, how about sharing your contact info?

PM me for contact info...

Excellent find. I have enough spares now, assuming I can fix mine, for many lifetimes.

As an aside, last summer I put a couple of the displays with missing digits on top of my hot water heater in the basement. relatively low but steady heat source and dry. 6 months later I hooked them up and both worked flawlessly.

I will talk with our manuf. people and see if they can't source the elastomeric lcd connector, one of the guys I work with loves to hunt down parts and sources.

Oh, and by the way, I retract my earlier comments about the excellent support I received, those days are long gone, as well as replacement 3100 displays, by the way. At least in the USA, there are allegedly no more to be had an no more being manufactured. Their very curt answer to my question of what are people supposed to do when the displays fail was a 'buy a whole new Simrad system, they are not interchangable...'

Read the last paragraph of my last post, seems Navico's support is moving closer to the B&G support model: lousy.

Ok, an update for anyone who cares:

1. Still no US source for the elsatomeric connectors needed. I found a source that would only sell quantity 1000. Still looking however. I ended up butchering an older LCD display, as in the video. Tyco used to sell them, but they are discontinued. I have a electronic parts guru on the case however, and hope to have results soon.

2. DO NOT use either MEK or Acetone to remove the ribbon connector remains from the glass panel. Either of these can and will remove the minute signal traces. The first one I did I killed, luckily tho I have spares (too many, actually). Use a heat gun and glass cleaner for the LCD display (this is straight from an veteran LCD/EE guy).

Attached is a pic of a revived unit with the remains of the first one I killed.

Once I get this down, I can if anyone is interested, probably do this for them for a small fee. PM me for details...

post-10747-088264800 1301072025_thumb.jpg

Most manufacturers of electronics and interconnect components don't know how to sell in "hand-full" volumes. Products like Elastomer Conductors are sold on reels of around 25 meters. Chopping off a few inches to help out a hobbyist just leaves the manufacturer with a short-reel that's quite difficult to sell.

Sometimes, you can find a stocking distributor who makes their money by buying in bulk and selling in smaller volumes. It's always worth asking the manufacturer if they work with any distribution channels in your region. Also, most manufacturers will provide engineering samples if approached gently ... samples are a necessary part of the business and there's usually a budget for such - selling a few inches of the product might seem like the same thing, but to the sales guys, it's just a pain in the ass.

You might give z-axis a try ...

Good luck!

Most manufacturers of electronics and interconnect components don't know how to sell in "hand-full" volumes. Products like Elastomer Conductors are sold on reels of around 25 meters. Chopping off a few inches to help out a hobbyist just leaves the manufacturer with a short-reel that's quite difficult to sell.

Sometimes, you can find a stocking distributor who makes their money by buying in bulk and selling in smaller volumes. It's always worth asking the manufacturer if they work with any distribution channels in your region. Also, most manufacturers will provide engineering samples if approached gently ... samples are a necessary part of the business and there's usually a budget for such - selling a few inches of the product might seem like the same thing, but to the sales guys, it's just a pain in the ass.

You might give z-axis a try ...

Good luck!

Good suggestions. The supplier of the LCD displays we use is also working on a small supply for me, but they buy fully built LCD units offshore and it means calling their source, so I have little hope there. The did mention there are no US sources for the LCD any longer, that manuf. has all gone to Asia, so its not wonder the material is hard to find.

Funny you should mention it, I've contacted Z-axis via email asking to purchase 'samples', but have yet to get a return message. We have a small supply of LCD units we obsolesced, that's where I got the material to revive the unit I brought back. There's enough material to do at least 4 or 5 more. Which means I will rescutate my dead repeater and put it at the nav. station, something I've always wanted. I'll have a spare depth, speed, and repeater by the end of the week. I have 4 wind displays, I will attack them next. At least one of them has a bad LCD, as I wrote on the back of one: "BAD LCD, 2008"

If any one has a need for a repair, I am sure I can do it for a nominal fee.

Ok I don't know if anyone cares anymore, but I have the Navman repairs down to a science, so far I've brought back from the near dead: 1 Depth, 1 Speed, 1 Repeat, and 1 Digital wind. They no longer display in Klingon, the missing LCD segments are fixed. The last one took maybe 15 min. start to finish.

The analog wind is proving to be a more difficult beast, the small LCD panel is not aligned with the circuit board as all of the other displays are. We are toying with trying to re-heat and re-seal the ribbon cable, but in testing with the first one that I butchered, the ribbon cable is like rice paper with a thin thin mylar coating and melted in a second. Lucky I have 4 Analog wind displays to play with... or not so lucky. But I only shelled out for the original one, the others were all warranty of warranty items, until Navico shut me off.

Whoever designed these, did a great job, they really are not engineered too poorly. Its just a shame they used the cheapest possible method on earth to join the LCD to the circuit boards. And yes, I've learned A LOT about LCD displays and the different technologies. We have an old timer here who knows a lot about them, and as an aside, Fluke, the volt meter people, used a similar technique for a short time and suffered the same issues Navman did. Unlike Navman tho, Fluke offered a kit to repair the meters

All in all, its been interesting, and now I have a repeater at my nav station and a spare depth, wind (altho digital, which I dont like), and speed.

post-10747-002513700 1302290379_thumb.jpg

The Fluke fix sounds really interesting. I have a navman wind 3150 and i have tried vaious things to get the lcd working again. I now have removed the ribbon all together which seems to have stopped the whole unit form working. Do you think the fluke fix will work on the 3150 or shalll i give up ?

any advice will be greatly received

Hi DrewR,

You are gaining valuable know how for us Navman customers/victims?

At present my set of Navman/Northstar are coping with the hiding we give them but I am following your research very closely.

Keep on keepin on!

Cheers,

Jim B)

Navman 3150

My navman analouge wind 3150 started playing up about two years ago. The digits started disapearing. Reading the forams, some people mentioned it was a humidity problem. I figured that the unit was holding the humidity and thus causing the connections to malfunction. On this info i drilled tiny holes through the bottom of the casing. Logic would suggest that this would aid air circulation and maybe help remove the humidity. This made no diffrence to the lcd fault and just misted up the screen of the unit. On U tube there is a fix for the lcd fault but this only seems to relate to the 3100 and not the 3150. I have removed the ribbon cable from the lcd screen and the circuit board completely hoping to solder the wires for better connection but on closer inspection looks impossible. I think this lcd fading is connected to heat and when the sun is directly on the unit the ribbon glue lifts from the circuit board.

I'm reluctant to shell out for a new unit as it seems such a simple thing to fix. I'm close to giving up though. Can anyone help ???

Some thing that you shouldn't try !

1. Don't drill holes in the bottom of the navman unit

2. Dont remove the ribbon from the circuit board untill you are sure you have a fix, as this seems to have stopped the analouge part of the unit to stop working.

jason

The problem with the 3150, as I mentioned, is that the LCD and the circuit board do not line up like with the 3100's, therefore the Youtube technique or the Fluke repair wont work.

I am lucky I work at a facility that makes underseas electronics, so I have been able to leverage some internal knowledge of LCD's and circuitry attachment.

We are still working on the 3150 fix. The first one is apart but I've destroyed the cable trying to reseal it to the LCD glass.

By the way, do not use ANY solvent like MEK or Acetone to clean any residue on the LCD, the traces to the digit segments are very small and fragile. I have 2 more 3150 units to test with, and have some pretty good expert help. We are going to try a heating element approx. the same size brought up to temp slowly, but I have to fab this first and then try it out.

I will post more when I get to it...

Navman as well as many others do not carry out their own servicing any more it is subcontracted out,see my other post search for Capitain Mike. Details are available there including Navman Navico cross reference guide hope this helps.

Navman Navico Nort Star Cross Reference Guide

Cost of Masthead Unit AA010185 £145.00 +VAT = £170.40 INC VAT

Cost of Connector Block and cable £90.00 +VAT = £105.75 INC VAT

SHIPPING £22.50 +VAT £26.44 INC VAT

TOTAL = £302.59 INC VAT

Last years prices

The Service Centre,

Maritime House,

Ryan Business Centre,

Sandford Lane,

Wareham,

Dorset.

BH20 4DY

Direct Sales Tel: 44 (0) 1929 554503

Fax: 44 (0) 1929 554559

Telephone 44 (0) 1929 554503

http://www.marineele...e%20Support.htm

http://www.marineele...e%20Support.htm

http://www.marineele...nicservice.com/

http://www.marineele...nicservice.com/

Telephone them first they have another site you have to log into regarding Mavman Navico

Sorry i forgot the url

Good luck

Not connected to any of them :)

Bounching this thred since I'm sitting in Argentine with 2 Navman wind with this problem and just found this site that got my hope back. ANY MORE INFO about this subject is wanted!

Hi DrewR,

You are gaining valuable know how for us Navman customers/victims?

At present my set of Navman/Northstar are coping with the hiding we give them but I am following your research very closely.

Keep on keepin on!

Cheers,

Jim B)

Bounching this thred since I'm sitting in Argentine with 2 Navman wind with this problem and just found this site that got my hope back. ANY MORE INFO about this subject is wanted!

Which problem? The display or the erratic wind indication? If its the display and if it's a 3150, so far I have had no luck fixing the 'missing digit segments'. If its a 3100 with missing segments, then the YouTube video technique works great. 2 of my displays worked the entire season with this fix and without failure. This is the first season I have not had a display die on me, knock on wood.

If its the erratic wind reading, then the masthead units need to be dis-assembled and all I did was re-solder each connection, which so far works on the bench, I have yet to put it at the top of my mast. I've been sailing with just the Windex this year and have kinda gotten used to it. The mast is scheduled to be pulled next week, but the boat will be laid up for the winter so I won't be able to give a long term report until next year.

Altho I have been drooling over the new B&G and Raymarine graphic displays (and maybe Garmin if they step up and match the others) and may chuck the whole lot over the winter, but that remains to be seen. I may wait a season to see how THOSE units work out. I was a Navman early adopter and that was a mistake so I am reluctant to once again buy something all new. And the B&G is a Navico product, which I swore I would never purchase.

"I was a Navman early adopter and that was a mistake so I am reluctant to once again buy something all new". I feel your pain. The worst part of it all is that they designed a product and produced it at a price point that made sense to the average inshore racer. Cut one less corner and they would have had a winner.

"I was a Navman early adopter and that was a mistake so I am reluctant to once again buy something all new". I feel your pain. The worst part of it all is that they designed a product and produced it at a price point that made sense to the average inshore racer. Cut one less corner and they would have had a winner.

+1

Cheers,

Jim <_<

Well a couple of corners maybe...