Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dicko

Sydney to Hobart 2008

Interesting to see that Skandia is entered. Wharro is looking to pull a Steven Bradbury?

Mex

Interesting to see that Skandia is entered. Wharro is looking to pull a Steven Bradbury?

Mex

:lol: not nice where is lay down sally in all of this?

Hey your not the only one in that boat mate. . .

i'm interested but i got no ride for this one...bummer

Any early tipping??

LIMIT will be worth a few bob for Handicap honours.

LAL = (Will wait to see more entries yet for this one) LAL= Last Across Line :lol:

Mex

Maybe Mex you should enter your boat and steal the thunder.

Will the Black Jack v Wild Oats duel be continuing from Hamo ?

Will the Black Jack v Wild Oats duel be continuing from Hamo ?

The Wild Oats that they do the hobart in is the 98 footer not the one that did hammo i think

Interesting to see

Name Mustang Sally

Race name Mustang Sally*

Launch year 1988

Sail number F550

Owner Warren Batt

Skipper Warren Batt

Crew M Piesse, N Murphy (1), G Cuthbertson (1), T Bell, R Law, M Eiles, R Mulcahy, T Meyer, J Geralton, B Marsden

Club Fremantle Sailing Club

Country New Zealand

Fremantle sailing club in New Zealand. (it is in Western Australia)

Any early tipping??

LIMIT will be worth a few bob for Handicap honours.

LAL = (Will wait to see more entries yet for this one) LAL= Last Across Line :lol:

Are there any images or info on the new Limit yet? She has to be close to splashing, if she hasn't already? You'd expect 62' of R/P's best work to be a beautiful thing and worth showing off. Or is she built of unobtanium and top level security access is required to even speak it's name?

Are there any images or info on the new Limit yet? She has to be close to splashing, if she hasn't already? You'd expect 62' of R/P's best work to be a beautiful thing and worth showing off. Or is she built of unobtanium and top level security access is required to even speak it's name?

ditto the new Loki.

let me guess, a wide arse, hefty chines, and a white rig !

ditto the new Loki.

let me guess, a wide arse, hefty chines, and a white rig !

Imagine the stories and images from all these new weapons if we get conditions like '99!! Holy shit there would be some awesome rides to be had!!

Imagine the stories and images from all these new weapons if we get conditions like '99!! Holy shit there would be some awesome rides to be had!!

No doubt, but can you imagine the other side of the coin (98)? Testing conditions, no way to bed down a new boat... in fact, can you imagine trying to slow one of these things down? L & L will probably do 12 knots uphill under storm jib in 50+ knots.

if it was like 99 then it is more than likely few new boats would survive intact given how fresh the northerly actually was and the sea state

and of course once the southerly came it is was in for days so the timing of the first big boats was unbelievable

berri took over 7 days to finish!

Maybe Mex you should enter your boat and steal the thunder.

Well, maybe I will.

Hang on, I don't have a boat.

BTW, what is "the thunder" and is it worth stealing? I only have 6 demerit points left on my drivers licence...

Mex

If its the Mustang Sally I'm thinking of it is a Farr 55 centre cockpit cruiser. It is owned by Australians but spends / spent most of its life in NZ

I don't think Maximus is coming now.

Does anyone know what they have done to "Obsession' to make it a Syd 38 Mod?

If its the Mustang Sally I'm thinking of it is a Farr 55 centre cockpit cruiser. It is owned by Australians but spends / spent most of its life in NZ

Thats the boat, not sure about 55 foot, from memory its smaller than that.

Owned by a West Aussie that has spent the last 5 or 6 years cruising.

Most of the crew for the Hobart are West Aussies as well.

Does anyone know what they have done to "Obsession' to make it a Syd 38 Mod?

Perhaps Obsession was one of the small number of 38's that were modified for a masthead kite and perhaps they intend to carry the big one?

S/H could be the perfect race to find out if it's a good mod to make.

Obsession has been around for a while, so maybe a mast head option to keep her going.

I don't know all the crew, but there are a couple of good sailors listed on her, so in the right conditions with a M/H kite should make for some interesting numbers.

10 crew on a Syd 38 is going to make for a 'not so squeazy' ride down.

Obsession has both the masthead kites and a fixed bowsprit. I think it has only made a marginal difference if any.

Thats the boat, not sure about 55 foot, from memory its smaller than that.

Owned by a West Aussie that has spent the last 5 or 6 years cruising.

Most of the crew for the Hobart are West Aussies as well.

Boat is 45 I think. Used to be Morning Mist or something along those lines.

I am sure the S2H site will have a write up about it.

Obsession has been around for a while, so maybe a mast head option to keep her going.

I don't know all the crew, but there are a couple of good sailors listed on her, so in the right conditions with a M/H kite should make for some interesting numbers.

10 crew on a Syd 38 is going to make for a 'not so squeazy' ride down.

not so squeazy - wtf ?

the S38 bunks are shit, there isn't alot of point using them offshore.......... rail meat !!!!!!!!!

I'll second that about the bunks. The best sleep I got heading to southport this year was on the cockpit floor.

As always I'm putting my hand up if anyone wants crew. Plenty of offshore experience radio ticket etc. Yeah I know its always a long shot but I'm ever hopeful.

Whats with the two S&S 41's from the Netherlands? A late wedding gift for Princess Mary's Tassie family.

The good Mary is going even further north (Denmark) , to where it really is cold!! Hey I know Europe is small, but give us a break.....

Anyhow, Tassie is actually named after the intrepid Dutch explorer Abel Tasman who missed Australia (probably)

Pinta-M (from 1972) and Winsome (not much younger) are both on a ship on their way down to find out what you guys all enjoy on the high seas.

Here is a photo of the two (Pinta-M on the right)

Looking forward to Australia in December.

post-31798-1221586292.jpg

Based on????

I have not yet had a nasty Hobart, I am well overdue for a nasty one and I ain't going this year :D

I have not yet had a nasty Hobart, I am well overdue for a nasty one and I ain't going this year :D

a few of your fellow crew members may have had some nasty hobarts :P

So, it looks like i need to do the SSSC update course to get revalidated.

Does anyone care to recomend a course provider in Sydney?

Getaway. Phil Thompson is a great instructor, very knowledgable and thorough.

I'd agree - Bear is a fantastic teacher with a lot of racing and delivery miles under his belt.

42 entries now online, seems like a great fleet so far. Yendys, Ichi Ban, Limit, Skandia and Chutzpah are all looking spanky right now all the way back to the old Too Impetuous, Sanyo Maris and She. Throw in a couple of TP52's, Rager's return and the monster Russian SV88.

Could be a great fleet this year, entries missing at this point (that you'd expect) would be Wild Oats, Getaway, SMB3, a bunch of Sydney 38's, Flirt (??), SwD, the new Andrew Short Marine, Witchdoctor. Any other rumoured starters?

Wasn't Moneypenny meant to be coming back for it?

If that happened you'd sure hope Rosebud has a crack at back to back wins, wouldn't you?

If that happened you'd sure hope Rosebud has a crack at back to back wins, wouldn't you?

The goat should be back for a crack at back to back wins.

Now, on to the merits of whining in the handicap fleet or winning in the one design fleet......

42 entries now online, seems like a great fleet so far. Yendys, Ichi Ban, Limit, Skandia and Chutzpah are all looking spanky right now all the way back to the old Too Impetuous, Sanyo Maris and She. Throw in a couple of TP52's, Rager's return and the monster Russian SV88.

Could be a great fleet this year, entries missing at this point (that you'd expect) would be Wild Oats, Getaway, SMB3, a bunch of Sydney 38's, Flirt (??), SwD, the new Andrew Short Marine, Witchdoctor. Any other rumoured starters?

Lady Courier First 45??????????

That's be a decent way to go south... I assume it's roasts, red wine and hot showers? Or is it a Spiesy style (no interior) program ?

That's be a decent way to go south... I assume it's roasts, red wine and hot showers? Or is it a Spiesy style (no interior) program ?

From what I've heard it is one of four f45's built by Beneteau that are fairly well optimised, so I would assume it wouldn't have the standard rainforest below.

DHL The Daily Telegraph is a possible! Hope so as very keen to surf at 30knots+ again. Any other old Volvo's possible (Hugo Boss II again?)

Safety at Sea - Murray Owen at Kookaburra Sailing is solid - Also I See Maligui is heading south this year as well.

I saw Shortys New Maxi in Bermuda. Nice Boat, has he found a sponsor yet? They were sailing back from Bermuda, anyone know how the trip went?

DHL The Daily Telegraph is a possible! Hope so as very keen to surf at 30knots+ again. Any other old Volvo's possible (Hugo Boss II again?)

Safety at Sea - Murray Owen at Kookaburra Sailing is solid - Also I See Maligui is heading south this year as well.

I saw Shortys New Maxi in Bermuda. Nice Boat, has he found a sponsor yet? They were sailing back from Bermuda, anyone know how the trip went?

I called today she's planned to go.

Fast. Averaged 12 knots I read in one report. Not bad for a 12,000 nm delivery.

I called today she's planned to go.

That is Great news. You planning on doing Big Boat Training Program?

Its awesome training with top Sailors on a very well maintained boat. Done the program and race last two years and Steff and Kookaburra run a quality program.

Anyone thinking they want a run south on a fast sled may want to call Kookaburra and inquire about taking Big Boat Training program.

Check out my story on:

http://www.mylifelist.tv/experiences/experience.aspx?ID=51

49 entries so far.

Looks like a good fleet again this year.

Any news on the new LIMIT yet?

Must be close to a splash?

49 entries so far.

Looks like a good fleet again this year.

Any news on the new LIMIT yet?

Must be close to a splash?

Not sure yet, but if it comes out painted grey I'm gonna spew up !!

Make that 50 entries.

They say they expect 100 according the the CY web site.

Syd 38 fleet looks good.

The new LOKI is out. Reports of stern surgery mid build after the ALFA RP69 turned out to be bit of a dog upwind (off topic but heard ALFA was now getting a whole new hull). Not sure if Limit is getting a mid build surgery but they are talking about a launch first week of December in Melbourne.

The new LOKI is out.

Looking forward to some pics of LOKI and Limit.

Should be a good few scraps around some race courses with all the new 60 odd footers about.

Ohf Shore - The Old Morning Mist has been called Sababa for a number of years. They run a solid local programme but are geting a bit despondent by the hammering from the fast 50s.

The cruiser Mustang Sally was one of 2-3 sisterships built mid - late 80s.

woxi 4peat? :unsure:

Are there going to be any other 100'ers for them to compete against? I don't think Skandia poses much of a threat

Ohf Shore - The Old Morning Mist has been called Sababa for a number of years. They run a solid local programme but are geting a bit despondent by the hammering from the fast 50s.

Mustang Sally was sailing out of Freo back when Neftenga (for the west aussies) was out on the track, in the pen next door I think, beautiful boat thats been cruising the world for some time now, owner originally from NZ

Jon Sanders and David Dicks restoring a S & S for the race as well.

Are there going to be any other 100'ers for them to compete against? I don't think Skandia poses much of a threat

Virgin Money Speedboat coming?

She's still sitting in Newport "waiting for a weather window" for a transatlantic attempt afaik.

If they're hellbent on that I doubt it?

No is the call on Virgin Money so i am told.

Shockwave V (Shorty's boat) had an uneventfull trip making the last part of the journey from Panama to Makay / Hammo in one hit. No damage and all happy.

Prodder now being fitted and should rate well for Hobart.

Also now doing Lord Howe

I agree with money on Limit.

Jono, is that the old Farr 50 MM3 that Alf Neate used to own?

Jason

Yep.

Had the keel reattached and new rags over the years but still the same in line stick. They did one Noumea race and tried a Round North Island but busted the rudder bearing. Experienced owner with a solid long term crew around him.

It would be a nice boat for the twilights at CYC

The goat should be back for a crack at back to back wins.

Now, on to the merits of whining in the handicap fleet or winning in the one design fleet......

Looks like the goat has Harmo, Mothy, Battler, and all the legends. Trip down memory lane...

anyone know anything about VO60 Telcoinabox Merit

Yep, she was the Merit Cup that Dalts took around the planet back in one of the last races for V60's. She then came down under and was owned by Ian Treleaven and did a Lord Howe, Hobart etc. He sold her to some chap (whose name I cannot recall) who did not sail her that much and she fell into a slightly neglected state before heading to do charter work in the Whitsundays late last year.

Yep, she was the Merit Cup that Dalts took around the planet back in one of the last races for V60's. She then came down under and was owned by Ian Treleaven and did a Lord Howe, Hobart etc. He sold her to some chap (whose name I cannot recall) who did not sail her that much and she fell into a slightly neglected state before heading to do charter work in the Whitsundays late last year.

David Goetz from Brighton YC in Melbourne had her for a while.

From our kiwi cousins, Ragtime has entered the Coastal Classic.

Rumour it also plans to enter the S2H.

David Goetz from Brighton YC in Melbourne had her for a while.

Cheers mate, that'd be it. Pity she didn't see that much use when DG owned her - she's not a boat to be left lying around, eh?

a few of your fellow crew members may have had some nasty hobarts :P

:lol:

not only did the rest of the watch leave the two of us to sail the boat, but the buggers left me as the only person BS could talk to. and would you believe he ran out of stories! ;)

New and old Limit entered.

New one having major prelaunch surgery??

Won't be ready in time??

and would you believe he ran out of stories! ;)

thats two hell freezes over moments in the one day. scary

New and old Limit entered.

New one having major prelaunch surgery??

Won't be ready in time??

Apparently the 60 is still due for a late November delivery, but she is having a new ass constructed so they're playing the safe option. I did suggest they could keep both entered and race A & B crews....

Apparently the 60 is still due for a late November delivery, but she is having a new ass constructed so they're playing the safe option. I did suggest they could keep both entered and race A & B crews....

Don't you mean B and F-Troop crew?

Ooooh, harsh.

Mex

2 x Andrew Short Marine entries, Brindabella & Shockwave 5. What gives? Shorty hedging his bets on the weather?

has anyone heard or know anything about what maximus is up to? would be nice for them to start this year

Already 25 entries, hopefully a good sign of a large fleet this year!!

List of entries

Is "SHE" the Olsen 40 and american uldb Olson 40?

I don't think so. It's basically a displacement cruising boat.

Already 25 entries, hopefully a good sign of a large fleet this year!!

List of entries

Is "SHE" the Olsen 40 and american uldb Olson 40?

I don't think so. It's basically a displacement cruising boat.

Come on Dicko, 25 years ago you probably would have called "She" a ULDB...

:lol:

Ditto Dicko

2x ASM boats (Brindabella & Shockwave) and 2x Limits - perhaps one of the spares could be handed over to the Tow Truck boys and Patto can leave the new bus at home?

What's the story behind that Syd Fisher (and others?) want to go ORCi?

http://www.orc.org/news/081003.htm#news0

I think Syd's words in the interview are pretty clear. He and others want to race under a more transparent, measurement only (ie. no fudge factor) rating system. I guess they are looking for a system similar to IMS and IOR without the butt ugly, slow boats that those rules promoted.

Hopefully this rule will find worldwide acceptance so (ignoring the worldwide economic situation) there can be some truly great international offshore racing happening again.

What's the story behind that Syd Fisher (and others?) want to go ORCi?

http://www.orc.org/news/081003.htm#news0

I think Syd's words in the interview are pretty clear. He and others want to race under a more transparent, measurement only (ie. no fudge factor) rating system. I guess they are looking for a system similar to IMS and IOR without the butt ugly, slow boats that those rules promoted.

Hopefully this rule will find worldwide acceptance so (ignoring the worldwide economic situation) there can be some truly great international offshore racing happening again.

ermm..

" ORC: When will you first try out the ORC rule?

Fischer: The CYCA plans to use ORC scoring in its upcoming Bluewater Point Series, the Rolex Rating Series, and the Rolex Sydney-Hobart. With the first race in the Bluewater series approaching, the challenge now is to quickly train measurers and start measuring boats."

so what happened?

btw, I think "similar to IMS and IOR without the butt ugly, slow boats that those rules promoted" has been proven to be difficult. Both rules started off with ok hull forms then migrated to their endpoints as a result of designers optimising to the rule. IRM was supposed to fix this.. see how well that went.

If I'm reading between the lines correctly, Sid seems to be concerned that he can't keep up with the big boys in the box rule (TP52) in his old boat.

system similar to IMS and IOR without the butt ugly, slow boats that those rules promoted.

And that's why they going to test ORCi = IMS??

I don't know what other people are seeing, but it's basically the same strange boats winning this year under ORCi as in IMS? Sinergias, Rodmans, GS42R and X-yachts...

But I guess the aussies want to get rid of sprits and asyms and all those butt ugly IRC-designs :lol:

The debate goes on...

BTW - not a word in the NoR.

[quote name='duncan (the other one)' date='Oct 22 2008, 06:24 AM' post=

If I'm reading between the lines correctly, Sid seems to be concerned that he can't keep up with the big boys in the box rule (TP52) in his old boat.

I dont think he would be to concerned after last years results. He faired quite well under IRC last year, and not doing to bad this year.