Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editor

Question of the Week

I've always liked the J/46 from a performance and comfort perspective... as I contemplate my purchase what other boats would compare from a performance/comfort and price point??? Comments, people?

Thanks

Steve Gallacher

Oh, I'll bite.

Try a Maine Cat 41!

Once you've had 'cat' you'll never go back!

Steve,

You mustn't be an i-banker from Lehman or Bear, huh?

No exposure to AIG, either ...

All J/s are terrific -- I've owned two. Go for it!

I've always liked the J/46 from a performance and comfort perspective... as I contemplate my purchase what other boats would compare from a performance/comfort and price point??? Comments, people?

Thanks

Steve Gallacher

I've raced a lot on one and think it's a great boat. For straight responses I'd say contact current owners and tell them how you are going to use it or maybe Butch Ulmer (he's cut a lot of their sails). My thoughts on the boat are:

- it's hard to sail to it's rating on a W/L

- it's really sticky in anything under 7 knots

- it's comparatively (vs. sprit boat) complicated to race (lots of spaghetti, 4 front halyards, 2 mains, 2 guys, 2 sheets, t-lift...old school) and there's no established template for how to tune the rig

- you need at least 8 strong guys to buoy race

But it is

- a conservative traditional design - you won't be afraid it's going to explode on you

- extremely comfortable - I was sleeping 11 happy hours a day heading to Bermuda this year when other boat's crews were exhausted and ragged from the wave action

- cold weather - diesel heater - love it

- the owner cruises with the wife and kids without any problems

for that coin used gunboat is in order

thor

Thanks

Steve Gallacher

Great boat.We've raced and cruised offshore for 5 years, the J46 does it all.

Good luck

Scott

J46 Riva

Portland OR

Nice !

Thanks

Steve Gallacher

As I enjoy playing in these forums, and I believe those who provide services should reap rewards, I am happy to see Sailing Anarchy is working as it should for the founders.

May you and your website continue to prosper.

As I enjoy playing in these forums, and I believe those who provide services should reap rewards, I am happy to see Sailing Anarchy is working as it should for the founders.

May you and your website continue to prosper.

Stop drinking, inhaling, or whatever it is you are doing. ;)

I know this group will scream, but take a look at the new First 45 and 50 from Beneteau.

I saw a 2001 for $459,000 and a 2003 for $549,000..ouch

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1718487/0

holy seeeeit the Ed can afford a boat that costs 500 large! so that's where all of the money that we pay to be Anarchists goes!

I think he's just asking for a "friend"

nonetheless, if the Ed were interested in buying a J46, I sure as shit wouldn't bust his balls about being able to afford it...

Madness to buy a J46 when you can get the same layout, a little more space, and a lot more speed from a SC52. Better build quality too. Around the same price. Of course, even smarter would be to get an old SC50...