• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
esoxproblem

How is a santa cruz 27 for an inexpensive Phrf boat??

120 posts in this topic

I saw 2 for sale $6750 & $7500 - not very race ready

We are primarily light air venue. West end of Lake Superior.

Any feedback on the J22??

I am the same guy as above looking for the good light air PHRF boat for under $10k

Thanks

I am the same guy as above looking for the good light air PHRF boat for under $10k

Thanks

They fucking rock. If I ever sell my Merit 25 it will be to buy a cheap S/C 27 to kick ass with. Wicked boat for cheap money. Luv' em.

Great boats for both PHRF and O/D racing.

post-661-1221768456_thumb.jpg

But they can be a bit wet :)

post-661-1221768698_thumb.jpg

Great boats but not quite as good as the Olson 30, which can usually be had for a good price also. Couldn't go wrong with either.

Thanks

They do well in light air. Short chop will kill them tho.

Great boats but not quite as good as the Olson 30, which can usually be had for a good price also. Couldn't go wrong with either.

Either one would make a good D/H Pac-Cup boat.

post-661-1221769697.jpg

post-661-1221769711_thumb.jpg

OK so its a 29

Great boat. Good in light air.

Will flat haul ass in the right conditions.

Makes we wonder why they are so cheap these days.

Will whoop a Moore 24, but the Moores cost more now.

The Moore's a great boat too

Both the SC27 and O-30 are great and you can't go wrong with either. In my opinion, the 0-30 is a lot more comfortable though, and is worth it if you can stretch on the price a bit. The comfort isn't just because of the size--the cockpit design is more crew friendly on the O-30. My recollection (back more than 25 years) is that the O-30 also keeps it's bow up better in heavy air and waves, but it sounds like that's not a consideration for your venue. George Olson incorporated "lessons learned" from the SC27 into the O-30. I spent many happy days on both types of boats.

Needs 4 or more on the rail, wet, bullet proof design and build. Better downwind than upwind, big foretriangle. Transpac, SY Transpac, Pac Cup proven.

ss

It sure will. They suck in chop. And that big ass kite in 20+ knots is a rocket ship ride. It was a SC27 that taught me everything I ever cared to know about broaching.

It sure will. They suck in chop. And that big ass kite in 20+ knots is a rocket ship ride. It was a SC27 that taught me everything I ever cared to know about broaching.

How about turboing with a 6' prod and big Asym kite.

Great boat. Good in light air.

Will flat haul ass in the right conditions.

Makes we wonder why they are so cheap these days.

Will whoop a Moore 24, but the Moores cost more now.

The Moore's a great boat too

No it won't.

Still the SC27 is a great boat.. a classic.

Light air, moderate, and in a breeze...

No it won't.

Still the SC27 is a great boat.. a classic.

Light air, moderate, and in a breeze...

True dat look at last Pac-Cup…………………..

Moore 24 PCC rated 633 - 12 days

SC 27- PCC rated 624 - 14 days

Still great boats fact is you can find the SC27’s for sale by the dozen and you will be searching for the Moore and if you do find one it will cost you!!

There was a SC27 with a huge prod at one point - anyone know what happened to it?

Heard stories of one in Santa Cruz, eventually switched back.

ss

Thanks

Go the Cruz!

Thanks

I know of a Moore 24 that is for sale in Duluth and probably in your price range. PM me if you are interested. Great boat both in heavy and light air.

True dat look at last Pac-Cup…………………..

Moore 24 PCC rated 633 - 12 days

SC 27- PCC rated 624 - 14 days

Still great boats fact is you can find the SC27’s for sale by the dozen and you will be searching for the Moore and if you do find one it will cost you!!

That's more ocean stragedy than raw speed. I'll take an SC 27 anyday over a Moore.

I'll take an SC 27 over an Olson 30 as well. Not nearly as fast upwind or downwind in moderate and light, but in heavy air or big swell the SC 27 is a fun machine whereas the O30 starts to use its mast as a periscope.

O30 is much much much more expensive to sail. 2-3x the sail inventory plus the sails are bigger so they cost more.

O30 have nasty broaching habits, SC27s broach very gently, very recoverably and quite dryly. Overall they are much drier and more comforable than O30s (I've raced both in Seattle, SFO and Santa Cruz)

For a while an SC 27 held the Seattle-Port Townsend Dash speed record (about 50 miles) done on a plane the whole way downwind in a big southerly.

That's more ocean stragedy than raw speed. I'll take an SC 27 anyday over a Moore.

I'll take an SC 27 over an Olson 30 as well. Not nearly as fast upwind or downwind in moderate and light, but in heavy air or big swell the SC 27 is a fun machine whereas the O30 starts to use its mast as a periscope.

O30 is much much much more expensive to sail. 2-3x the sail inventory plus the sails are bigger so they cost more.

O30 have nasty broaching habits, SC27s broach very gently, very recoverably and quite dryly. Overall they are much drier and more comforable than O30s (I've raced both in Seattle, SFO and Santa Cruz)

For a while an SC 27 held the Seattle-Port Townsend Dash speed record (about 50 miles) done on a plane the whole way downwind in a big southerly.

What you been smokin boy! SC27 are allright, but we (MOORE24s) catch up to them all the time, despite a 5 min headstart(and the tailenders are a pain in the ass). I know of more than one former SC27 owner that has come to the Moore fleet. If you an find one, try an Express27.

I know of a Moore 24 that is for sale in Duluth and probably in your price range. PM me if you are interested. Great boat both in heavy and light air.

Right you are! This would be the deal!

I sailed point to point against two SC 27s last spring... a 13 mile drag race reach in 15-20 with gusts higher.. slightly too high for a kite. Although another Moore managed to carry his and clobbered all three of us.

My only real sail at that point of the year.. I was hardly "sharp".

The two SC27s could not close the gap.. and our PHRF ratings vary by 18(!) seconds. 132 vs 150.

And why were those 2 SC27s still behind me after 13 miles of upwind work?

I'll grant you this, a well sailed SC27 *should* out pace a Moore 24 boat for boat.. but that rating hit is REAL painful for the SC27 matched against a Moore.

I've owned several J/22's, Laser 28, Shields one design and sailed on a bunch of boats. I cannot say enough good stuff about sailing the Moore 24 after owning one this last year. I was on the race committee boat for the entire Moore 24 Nationals several weeks ago and cannot say enough good stuff about the one design fleet members and sailing skills as well.

I'll grant you this, a well sailed SC27 *should* out pace a Moore 24 boat for boat.. but that rating hit is REAL painful for the SC27 matched against a Moore.

Agreed with ya there.

Those Moore 24 Guys... What a bunch of kidders :lol:

Can't go wrong with either.

If you dont have a one design fleet and want to race PHRF go with an Olson 30 or SC-27. Small difference in price - the Olson is lots more boat but also will require about double the investment in sails.

Moore 24 and Express 27 are also great boats but expect to spend about twice as much as the wst coast one design fleets (plus Detriot in the case of the Express) have kept the resale on these quite stong.

All 4 of them are awesome rides - everyone who has sailed on any of these design will have stories to tell that last for years! Plenty of good, light 80's type boats in this size range but the 4 listed above were all built by basically the same people in Santa Cruz and are IMHO simple a cut above the rest.

My worst crash ever was in a SC27

And I sailed a 505 and Hobie 18 a lot out of Santa Cruz and I know how to crash.

Gentle ain't the word that comes to mind.

Any of you Santa Cruz guys know Bob White?

The SC27 is one of the better built boats. They have been durable beyond belief. I, at one time owned 6, (now 3). I've thought a lot about a turbo job including long prod, big masthead kite, frac rig and a canter for shorthanded sailing. I'd open up the transom too as that lazerette is a PIA. If only I had the time. I wimped out and bought an Ultimate 24.

I've sailed these little boats in everything from drifters to gales, they do well in just about any conditions, wet upwind in the chop. They WILL sail well through the chop with butts on the rail and horsepower on the headstay. It's an easy boat to single hand thought the kite is a pain to gybe solo in big breeze. I used an on deck snuffer to just chicken gybe over 20 true. When a 27 crashes though, they crash hard @#$%^&*

Dorado was commenting on the Moore 24 having a higher resale value than the 27. It's because of the ODCA which is one of the best classes on the Bay. The 27 is faster than the 24 and the O30 is faster than both. In general the SC27 was better built across the production run as the late hull number O30's were built down South and not up to George's normal quality.

Bang for the buck, you will be hard pressed to beat an SC27 in terms of quality of build, performance, ease of sailing and launching.

When a 27 crashes though, they crash hard @#$%^&*

Understatement of the year. :lol: :lol:

I too looked seriously at a couple of SC27s. Petty sure I spoke to Schonnerman @ Spinnaker Sailing and he was very knowledge and forthcomming about the two boats he had for sale. The only negative feedback I've heard was that the cockpit was a little narrow and EASY to bang a shin or worse.

ss

I too looked seriously at a couple of SC27s. Petty sure I spoke to Schonnerman @ Spinnaker Sailing and he was very knowledge and forthcomming about the two boats he had for sale. The only negative feedback I've heard was that the cockpit was a little narrow and EASY to bang a shin or worse.

ss

what's a broken toe amongst friends?

What he said...

[

Wow 50 miles he nust have taken a very circuitous route, (more like 30 miles....)

Wow 50 miles he nust have taken a very circuitous route, (more like 30 miles....)

Yeah, 30 miles.

That was 'Norn' and Arne Hammer before the boat was modified, keel, rudder, Open Transom. He wasn't on a plane the whole way, ran into light air around Point no Point and was upwind into PT afte the Island to Sirens (obviously). Good story though!

Have fun with the New SC27, will we see you in Seattle with it? Who bought your Moore? Went to Santa Cruz right?

A SC27 did the Double Damned Race this year, was behind all three Moore's for the whole race... Had some good Wipe outs as well

post-11482-1229884505_thumb.jpg

post-11482-1229884552_thumb.jpg

post-11482-1229884612_thumb.jpg

I sailed point to point against two SC 27s last spring... a 13 mile drag race reach in 15-20 with gusts higher.. slightly too high for a kite. Although another Moore managed to carry his and clobbered all three of us.

My only real sail at that point of the year.. I was hardly "sharp".

The two SC27s could not close the gap.. and our PHRF ratings vary by 18(!) seconds. 132 vs 150.

And why were those 2 SC27s still behind me after 13 miles of upwind work?

I was one of those SC27's. It was like j_dirge and I were connected by a 200 yard bungee cord. The gap would shrink and widen a bit, but nothing I could do, and I was focusing hard, got me past him until he sailed into a monster hole. There's not that much of a performance difference between the boats.

Now, if you want to take the wife and kids out for a sail, the SC27 wins hands down. It's got actual seats in a cockpit. It has actual seats and stuff down below, though below is still fairly minimal. If I was sailing shorthanded for many, many miles I'd much rather have the SC27 than the Moore just on the comfort factor alone. But for straight out sailing ability, the Moore 24 and SC27 aren't all that different.

If you want super-easy to trailer, then get the Moore 24.

BTW, I'm not all that red-hot of a skipper and in my SC27 I've beaten some Express 27's and lost to some Express 27's. Again, not that much difference.

We never built any Olson 30's down south, we just SOLD all of them from about 1980 until 1984- we also sold Moore 24's and Merit 25's(Far West Yachts in Ventura) Now there were OTHER OLson models made by Erickson like some of the 911S and 25's, and they aren't considered as good as the ones at Pacific Boats.

I've sailed all the boats mentioned, and owned an Express 27,and 3 Olson 30's, and The Olson's the best PHRF boat in light air, the Moore's the funnest in a breeze, the Express is kinda underpowered in light/med. air, the Santa Cruz most uncomfortable, the Olson 30's the best deal overall.

To answer the original question- yes an SC 27 would be cool inexpensive boat- watch the decks!!!! I'd cut off the coamings if I had one.

Ya can hardly not have fun in a Santa Cruz boat...........

My ever lovin wife just decided we should sell our beloved Moore 24 for a SC 27 here's hopin it's a good PHRF boat....

from what I have been told:

They are uncomfortable for the rail crew

They are powered up especially downwind

They are lively to steer downwind compared to the Moores but class has adjusted rule for chicken kites

Need gin pole for mast

Girls don't lay down on boats they can't stand up in ;)

Have fun with the New SC27, will we see you in Seattle with it? Who bought your Moore? Went to Santa Cruz right?

Lowly went to Scott Nelsen and his brother in Santa Cruz. They are FD sailors and own Fox Racing (might be gearheads...). He was happy to share that he passed a sc27 on his first sail. :rolleyes: he loves it, and you should see it racing down there.

We'll do some out of town racing, but the sc 27 "thing" is really about building up sailing in our town and north end. There is good potential for a competitive north end fleet, close to home for us. Plus it'll work out better for the boys, and distance/winter races. It was the right price and the right choice for us right now, and they are both fun boats. We are big fans of Moores and sc27s, they are both great, and have fun people to sail with and against.

Go buy the one on Vashon. it is a good boat. Always fast and I am sure you can get it for cheap. I think the mast needs replaced or spliced. call Leif See if he wants to sell.

he used to woop up on the PHRF here in Seattle with the boat. It has not been splashed in 6 years. comes with a trailer. could be a nice winter project.

It amazes me that after over 30 years we're still all stoked up by these ULDB's out of Santa Cruz! Surf's Up!

Who's Leif, and what boat is at Vashon?

Leif Hagen is a rigger and great sailor who is taking some time off from racing. He used to whoop everyone with Marionette and drank lots of beer and played loud music while whooping up on all of us. He is a bad man, but we still love him. It is a great boat.

SC27's are a royal bitch to use an outboard on. They have a giant aft deck and that long reversed transom push the engine some absurd distance back from the tiller, and well out of the cockpit. The main is almost useless by itself, which is no big thing once you get used to it (and I guess it's just a symptom of the boat's era).

EDIT: oh, also, since I didn't say otherwise -- everything else about the boat is awesome ;)

The Olson's a beeatch with the outboard too, but then it rarely needs one. You could always make a flying tiger well and have real problems!! Or cut a hole in the bottom like a Cal 20. I look upon it as good exercise.

In a short chop sheet to the outside rail and open your slot, you'll still kick ass.

I think in 76 or 77 I sailed with Gary Swenson on his SC27 Hotspur. We were 3rd to finish and set an elapsed time record. It blew like hell and we surfed / planed all the way. One of the most memorable rides I have had. Those were the days.

The dawg and I were young then, and Dawg was on the foredeck before they had a union. WOOF

When a 27 crashes though, they crash hard @#$%^&*

Understatement of the year. :lol: :lol:

Especially when you're the bow person half way through an end for end jibe when the bow punches in--been there a few times. Bomb proof and fun little suckers, though.

I'd cut off the coamings if I had one.

Ah, you had me nodding up to a point.... you DO realize that on some boats the cockpit coamings act like box-beam stringers for the aft deck, right ? Without those 'corrugations' you may well undermine the rigidity of the back end of the boat - I'd talk to an actual smart person before I got the SawsAll out of the box.

Worst aspect of "budget" Phrf racing an SC27 - big, spendy headsails, if you want to be up front.

The dawg and I were young then, and Dawg was on the foredeck before they had a union. WOOF

I think I was 19 or 20.

I also remember the Ensenada feeder race from Channel Islands Harbor to Newport once. Blew like hell from the south. We were beating with the Main and Blade from CI to past Mugu before the wind started turning west. When it finally went all the way west and blew even harder we set a 10% smaller 1.5oz kite. I think that trip is the fastest I have ever sailed int a keel boat.

Great memories from the SC27 Hotspur. For those who do not know the name Hotspur comes from the Hiratio Hornblower series by C.S. Forester. Hotspur was his first command.

I can say that the head sails can be expensive, but a good genny will last about 5 years doing club racing. After that you will lose speed and of course point. In the NW I hardly ever use the #2, because it just seems when the wind comes up we go from the Heavy #1 to the #3.

I think we have won our divison on most of the regattas in North Sound including RTC overall. They are great boats and will sail up wind in chop with meat on the rail and the largest head sail you can handle. Let me say the are wet!!!!! There is no getting around that. My boat was built in 1977 and is still doing fine. The mast is going on 15 years old, but it still is like a tree trunk. If you want to bend it you better have the babystay installed.

Overall they are fun and cheap other of course the sails. :lol:

Thanks

I don't know about that. Short hoist #4 and a reef we had no problem in 30 knts. Strong ebb against the westerly in the slot was choppy. Flushed out the gate till the breakers on the potato patch, tack, fall off hoist # 1 and surfin' usa! with newbies/non sailors. Then warm up here

Buena Vista Cafe - Fisherman's Wharf - San Francisco, CA

Good times were had by all!

cheers

bob

The SC27 is one of the better built boats. They have been durable beyond belief. I, at one time owned 6, (now 3). I've thought a lot about a turbo job including long prod, big masthead kite, frac rig and a canter for shorthanded sailing. I'd open up the transom too as that lazerette is a PIA. If only I had the time. I wimped out and bought an Ultimate 24.

I've sailed these little boats in everything from drifters to gales, they do well in just about any conditions, wet upwind in the chop. They WILL sail well through the chop with butts on the rail and horsepower on the headstay. It's an easy boat to single hand thought the kite is a pain to gybe solo in big breeze. I used an on deck snuffer to just chicken gybe over 20 true. When a 27 crashes though, they crash hard @#$%^&*

Dorado was commenting on the Moore 24 having a higher resale value than the 27. It's because of the ODCA which is one of the best classes on the Bay. The 27 is faster than the 24 and the O30 is faster than both. In general the SC27 was better built across the production run as the late hull number O30's were built down South and not up to George's normal quality.

Bang for the buck, you will be hard pressed to beat an SC27 in terms of quality of build, performance, ease of sailing and launching.

I recently was talking to someone who had an interesting J80 experince in last years DHF.

We were talking about the SC boats in general and commented how tough they are. Have there been any catastrophic events? Self induced don't count but entertaining

bob

Previous partner in Dominoe/Bone Daddy

How expensive can a headsail on a 27 ft be????? I mean, I complain about the costs of a headsail on a 37. Hate to have a 60fter.

Great boats though. And really fun in a blow off wind. You can't go wrong with it. Have fun!

How expensive can a headsail on a 27 ft be????? I mean, I complain about the costs of a headsail on a 37. Hate to have a 60fter.

Great boats though. And really fun in a blow off wind. You can't go wrong with it. Have fun!

My last boat was an IOR 38' and a new #1 cost about 5500.00, that would buy a new main,.5 and 1.5 for my SC27 (quote last fall from Santa Cruz Sails). So I am liking small boat ALOT!!!

Today is day 2 of Tulip Regatta in Anacortes and the Western Regionals for SC27's. 9 boats on the line and great sailing so far. Only my third race in the boat so far and I am loving it!!! Lots of fun. Downwind in a little pressure you better be on you game while driving.wink.gif

WL

I remember your old boat. I thought about buying it back then but the wife didn't like it.

War Dog has got good oil on the SC27. He and his brother sailed his bro's boat balls out. I got invited a few times and it was always fast. Bill Lee knew what he was doing with this one. It would be kind of fun to see a carbon version with a bulb, sprit and modern foils. Probably be waaaaayyy to spendy for the performance increase.

Any SC owners out there looking at unloading their sails? My buddy might be interested in upgrading from his 1978 chute if any of you have something to sell from your Wed night collection.

I can say that the head sails can be expensive, but a good genny will last about 5 years doing club racing. After that you will lose speed and of course point. In the NW I hardly ever use the #2, because it just seems when the wind comes up we go from the Heavy #1 to the #3.

I think we have won our divison on most of the regattas in North Sound including RTC overall. They are great boats and will sail up wind in chop with meat on the rail and the largest head sail you can handle. Let me say the are wet!!!!! There is no getting around that. My boat was built in 1977 and is still doing fine. The mast is going on 15 years old, but it still is like a tree trunk. If you want to bend it you better have the babystay installed.

Overall they are fun and cheap other of course the sails. laugh.gif

15 yrs. involved with and owenership of our beloved sc27 i can tell you the boat will take more than the crew will,

and in light air she moves just fine.

1977 built , the hull is tight.

we have a sail drive [last one left?]

the one issue we found [and repaired] was deck core, soggy due to leaking hardware.

'fast is fun' even if we aren't always fast on the race course [something about new sails?, oh yea we need some]

welcome to the clan.

oh yea i know F.O.N.

Wow, this threads' got some legs. Started a year and a half ago. Wonder if he(or she) decided to buy one or not.

What are your favorite pictures / youtube of SC 27? Particularly surfing back from the Farrallones. I searched youtube..not much

I am a new 27 owner in Santa Barbara....with open mind about modifying the boat. Cut the coamings off? DRDNA....really? talk to me.....I like the idea of a swim step....ala J100!? I got a sawzal....and resin...what updates are going to work with this old boat? Brian

Check out "Arcadia" a heavily modified SC27 with an unbelievably good record in SF Bay. It helps if really know how to sail, too.

Plumb bow, scoop, wings...

Larry....not to worry...j22 is still my love....just the 27 fell in my lap and I need a project (and boy is this a project) Pogen, where can I get more info on Arcadia??,B

Boat and inexpensive cannot coexist in the same sentence.

Pogen, where can I get more info on Arcadia??,B

Pogen had a brain fade. As he well knows, Arcadia is a heavily modified *Santana* 27.

I am a new 27 owner in Santa Barbara....with open mind about modifying the boat. Cut the coamings off? DRDNA....really? talk to me.....I like the idea of a swim step....ala J100!? I got a sawzal....and resin...what updates are going to work with this old boat? Brian

If only the Santa Cruz and Olson builders could have looked in to the future and seen how the standard cockpit is a thing of the past. They might have been real trend setters. The Moore had it almost right.

Personally I hate the narrow side decks on the SC27.

A deck more like the Last Moore 24's, J24 or my Zap could have been easier on the crew.

I think BIll Lee wanted to be able to sit below and puff a hooter :) after a hard days surfing.

Yes you should remove the combing and the seats. The Cockpit will be so much better. Place the traveller on the cockpit floor.

Dawg and DRDNA, next time you come to SB look me up and we will draw some lines on the old boat (it's in the sailing club)....its a year long thing with lots of talk and discussion, Thanks B

I live 25 miles south. You wanna come down a buy the drinks, I'll chat.

But I thought that, Instead of doing a complete mod, give Finco Fabrication, down in Santa Ana a call and talk to Steve about a new deck.

They have the mold for the B25 deck which is the design you are looking for. It may be cheaper to just do a new deck rather than a chop shop pos.

When I worked at a boatyard in CI, we bought lots of rudders from these guys. Great prices and good work.

What are your favorite pictures / youtube of SC 27? Particularly surfing back from the Farrallones. I searched youtube..not much

Who doesn't remember this one?

scrz27bl.gif

SB to King Harbor 1974? Always loved the shape in the head of that spinnaker as a kid. Ventura sailmaker right? Gary Swenson maybe?

There's nothing like good head, even if it's just the spin.

I saw the boat in the SBSC yard- it needs all the deck replaced aft of the cockpit, and had lots of delamination near the genoa tracks. Some have said the shape of the coamings are a box section to support the boat, so.... I'm not sure if you can cut 'em off. I did once see a SC 27 with an open transom in Washington, but I'd probably just extend the cockpit back instead, as it's easier- hence, it costs less. I think you'd need to talk to an actual naval architect about the strength issues. If you need a box section to support the boat, one could be done under the deck. As far as moving the traveller- I have no idea why it would be superior. On my Moore, I kept it right where it is as the closer it is to the boom, the more effective it is(plus I'm used to having a traveller there- J24, Merit 25, Olson 30's I've owned- and I like hooking a foot under it) Dawg has a good idea to check with some pros about the work.

Who doesn't remember this one?

scrz27bl.gif

When I was on Blackfin, I had that picture on the bulkhead. I never got a really good shot of my Sc27

Check out "Arcadia" a heavily modified SC27 with an unbelievably good record in SF Bay. It helps if really know how to sail, too.

Plumb bow, scoop, wings...

Arcadia is a Santana 27. Well, it used to be anyway.

I saw the boat in the SBSC yard- it needs all the deck replaced aft of the cockpit, and had lots of delamination near the genoa tracks. Some have said the shape of the coamings are a box section to support the boat, so.... I'm not sure if you can cut 'em off. I did once see a SC 27 with an open transom in Washington, but I'd probably just extend the cockpit back instead, as it's easier- hence, it costs less. I think you'd need to talk to an actual naval architect about the strength issues. If you need a box section to support the boat, one could be done under the deck. As far as moving the traveller- I have no idea why it would be superior. On my Moore, I kept it right where it is as the closer it is to the boom, the more effective it is(plus I'm used to having a traveller there- J24, Merit 25, Olson 30's I've owned- and I like hooking a foot under it) Dawg has a good idea to check with some pros about the work.

Having done some wicked rough races down the coast on the Express 27 which also has the boxed coamings along the cockpit I can 100% tell you that those boxed coamings are important to the hull structure and strength.

SB to King Harbor 1974? Always loved the shape in the head of that spinnaker as a kid. Ventura sailmaker right? Gary Swenson maybe?

I remember that shot being associated to N2E '75

I race on this one here in santa barbara and it's a blast

post-106269-0-72494700-1397603427_thumb.jpg

Having done some wicked rough races down the coast on the Express 27 which also has the boxed coamings along the cockpit I can 100% tell you that those boxed coamings are important to the hull structure and strength.

The boxed coamings are a solution but an even better solution to the girder stiffness of the entire hull would be to extend the footwell sides down to contact the hull along their entire length.

sc27_cockpit_mod.png

Make some longitudinal members like the wood-colored shape here out of 4 mm or 6 mm okume and lock them into position. What you are trying to do is maintain dimension "A" as the boat stresses.

Another concern is that the shear forces at the rudderhead double as the length of the rudderpost halves. So make sure the deck/sole is sufficiently beefy at the rudderhead.

I race on this one here in santa barbara and it's a blast

zepher.jpg

Hold 'er Newt; she's headed for the rhubarb!

Meanwhile they had a MOB on the starboard side!!!

Thanks for the SC27 redesign drawings..SE. I'm open to discussion

your idea would take out the pipe berths

right now the aft deck behind the cockpit is rotten

The easiest solution would be to build a J100 type stern

Maybe remove the box behind the winch...at least the driver would be comfortable?

waiting to hear back from Arne....he cut the cockpit open on Norn

would love to have stern-hung rudder for the kelp element......

Dream on,B

Thanks for the SC27 redesign drawings..SE. I'm open to discussion

your idea would take out the pipe berths

If you want to keep the pipe berths, the cockpit foot-well can be narrower than the drawing.

Raced one , great boat except upwind in a hard chop, we sailed it with a catalina 27 main and blade worked great, Would have went that way but sold the boat. Velcro foot straps on the mast step bridge work well for the female set.

Boat and inexpensive cannot coexist in the same sentence universe.

Fixed.

Your welcome.

Raced one , great boat except upwind in a hard chop, we sailed it with a catalina 27 main and blade worked great, Would have went that way but sold the boat. Velcro foot straps on the mast step bridge work well for the female set.

Sheet to the rail in a chop and you will open the slot and fly up wind. Pointing high is relative to the upwind VMG.

IE: Go slow or go fast.

"To go fast you have to know how to balance your boat"

sc27_cockpit_mod.png

Great drawings. I bet Finco Fab could do this economically.

But I have talked to several people about the Traveller and like the new sport boats you should consider the traveller on the Floor so you can traverse the Cockpit without breaking your shin. You do not lose that much and the Vang can take over when the main sheet is eased a bit if needed.

Does anyone agree?

But I have talked to several people about the Traveller and like the new sport boats you should consider the traveller on the Floor so you can traverse the Cockpit without breaking your shin. You do not lose that much and the Vang can take over when the main sheet is eased a bit if needed.

Does anyone agree?

I agree

Thinking of DHF 1984 on my SC27...wow none entered this year...or O 30 and only 3 Moore 24s.... Times they changed, Time to change back? Great race for those boats.

Send me an email to andy@nwrigging.com and I will send you our Pac Cup video from last year, james Clappier also has a terrific video somewher on SA, simply said they're too fun!

Fun boats but yes, they are a bit of an anomaly - ahead of their time in terms of being a very early ULDB and at the same time, the last of a generation that designed the deck to be like a 'little big boat' (as opposed to being a 'big dinghy') and ergonomically a real challenge to trim (primaries in the way of the driver/main trim)

Doing a major deck update might be neat, but would definitely take a lot of the 'value proposition' out of the equation, and would negate the neat sheltered 'shorthanded' aspect of the cockpit - never mind the structural implications - which are significant.