• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
esoxproblem

How is a santa cruz 27 for an inexpensive Phrf boat??

120 posts in this topic

Lake Superior.

Name it Edmund Fitzgerald?

Isn't their a SJ24 fleet in Duluth? Cheaper to optimize, win silver then sail around the world become famous!

I have a sc 27 with a sail drive not sure how many have them still. The boat has the original deck layout what should I do to change it

I have a sc 27 with a sail drive not sure how many have them still. The boat has the original deck layout what should I do to change it

Make it look like this:

image_7.jpg

I have fun playing tag with the SC27 California Zephyr with my boat. We really have fun going back and forth. We usually get them up wind but off the wind with that big masthead kite, they motor up to us. We really have to work to stay ahead, and we owe them time.

No matter how you spell it the SC27 is a great boat. Hotspur, Not sure the Hull # from the 70's was the boat I was weened on.

That's California Zephyr, the red boat just above us to leeward, at about 5 seconds.

start1.JPG

And here we are at about the start.

start5.JPG

And unfortunately for them we got'em on this one.

Raced one , great boat except upwind in a hard chop, we sailed it with a catalina 27 main and blade worked great, Would have went that way but sold the boat. Velcro foot straps on the mast step bridge work well for the female set.

Sheet to the rail in a chop and you will open the slot and fly up wind. Pointing high is relative to the upwind VMG.

IE: Go slow or go fast.

"To go fast you have to know how to balance your boat"

What Dawg said. Works well on Moores too.

Raced one , great boat except upwind in a hard chop, we sailed it with a catalina 27 main and blade worked great, Would have went that way but sold the boat. Velcro foot straps on the mast step bridge work well for the female set.

Sheet to the rail in a chop and you will open the slot and fly up wind. Pointing high is relative to the upwind VMG.

IE: Go slow or go fast.

"To go fast you have to know how to balance your boat"

What Dawg said. Works well on Moores too.

Make it look like this:

image_7.jpg

Twin wheels may be a bit much in a 4 foot wide cockpit.

Make it look like this:

image_7.jpg

Twin wheels may be a bit much in a 4 foot wide cockpit.
004.jpg

Wow.

I posted this 8 years ago. Pretty great responses too.

In those 8 years, I ended up buying a J/30. Wife Loved. - I Hated.

Sold that

Bought an Olson 30. Wife HATED. - I Loved.

Sold that.

Hopefully, the compromise now in the midst of recoring, a J/33.

May spring come a month early to this f'ing frozen place I call home!!

Wow.

Sold that

Sold that.

J33 great boat. Spent a lot of time on one. Likes 10 knots plus. If you regularly see 15ish, a #2 is a good investment. We put a sprit (on top of the deck, minimal surgery) and an asso which was pretty fast for distance races. WL, not worth the rating hit

Wow.

Sold that

Sold that.

The SC27 is timeless.

theres one with a lot of sails, carbon spin poles,trailer, etc, for asking price of 8k on the Santa Cruz 27 website. Not mine, passing along info.

i

theres one with a lot of sails, carbon spin poles,trailer, etc, for asking price of 8k on the Santa Cruz 27 website. Not mine, passing along info.

i've seen yours in ventucky. when you taking her out?

well, whenever Buzz sends me the new chainplates I ordered I can put the rig up.

well, whenever Buzz sends me the new chainplates I ordered I can put the rig up.

great! so you'll be good for the 2017 season and wednesday racing? what is the boat's name?

As I work weekends and 2 weekdays as a Captain, and go to bed at 7pm, I think this boat will be a day sailor. I do still race Finns. It's named Slightly Cretaceous as it's a dinosaur compared to sport boats, and I'm as old as a T. rex fossil.

I do still race Finns.

Finn Nationals in SF Bay next summer mark your calendar. 8/4-6/17. Lots of old fossils expected

As I work weekends and 2 weekdays as a Captain, and go to bed at 7pm, I think this boat will be a day sailor. I do still race Finns. It's named Slightly Cretaceous as it's a dinosaur compared to sport boats, and I'm as old as a T. rex fossil.

You are such an old fart.

Get off your ass and go sailing.

We have fun with California Zephyr, why not join in?

Oh, I forget, racing costs $$$$$$$