Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cliffclark

How does the J92 do in PHRF

Seems there are some 92s available. Does anybody have any experience with the boat in PHRF?, Medium distance offshore, Biscayne bay type racing?

I raced a J-92 in a wed. night series this summer. Its a great boat, handles well, relativly quick, and comfortable. We did very well with a pretty beat up sails. Haven't done any long distance racing in the boat but it can be sailed to its rating with not too much effort.

Locally the J-92 does very well in PHRF - it's a solid boat, fast upwind, fast downwind, good at reaching - seems like it has a nice rating at 105. The J-92"S" isn't quite as successful, but I don't know much about their program.

I know Ragtime! has done a couple of Singlehanded Transpacs so it can do the distance game. From what I've read it seems to be a pretty good shorthanded racing boat.

You will get much more feedback if you take this to leadmine anarchy where the question belongs. It is not a sportboat by any stretch of the imagination. Now if you had been asking about the J 90 - that is a whole other kettle of fish

I know Ragtime! has done a couple of Singlehanded Transpacs so it can do the distance game. From what I've read it seems to be a pretty good shorthanded racing boat.

I am 99.9% sure Ragtime is a J 90 - very different boat

The j92 got a name for not pointing -basically being a low and fast boat with a disliking for uphill in a blow.

Was this actually more to do with poor rig tension and not cutting down to a no.3 early enough though?

great mover.

#1 do the search function - almost too much info there.....

And

Do not be confused between the 92S and the 92 .

I hear the 92 sails circles around the 92S. But WTF do I know..

Sail Safe!

Seems there are some 92s available. Does anybody have any experience with the boat in PHRF?, Medium distance offshore, Biscayne bay type racing?

Does well in PH here @ 108 (buoy rating). We also have a sport boat "B" fleet that ranges from 108 to 135 here and they are rather competitive. We let them into the B sporty fleet since they are flying assos and we usually do not race in planing conditions.

Nice build, comfy for a week at the island and a nice sailing boat.

We rated 114 in LIS and did well in mod breezes for Wed nites and short distance races. In a blow at MBFS we always placed. Great boat, comfy, fast and easy to handle. I do miss my Wild Thing!