Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

johncurtin

Erricson 3 get scoring penalty for keel

Despite what they tried, theyve not been accepted as a V70 - 1 point for each inport, 1 for each scoring gate and 2 per offshore leg......until they get a cert....tough one

see volvo ocean race site for full story

Despite what they tried, theyve not been accepted as a V70 - 1 point for each inport, 1 for each scoring gate and 2 per offshore leg......until they get a cert....tough one

see volvo ocean race site for full story

since each offshore leg is 1 point per boat (high point scoring), and each gate and inshore leg is a half-point per boat, this penalty pretty much takes them out of the race -- if they win a leg/gate they will be scored as if they had finished 3rd... ouch

good thing E4 is compliant or this race would have taken a serious hit.

I say good on you to the Jury. I bet Juanker has been called in for a less than cordial closed door meeting by now. I'm glad the committee has placed equality, and more importantly, safety, ahead of the big dollar sponsors interests.

I say good on you to the Jury. I bet Juanker has been called in for a less than cordial closed door meeting by now. I'm glad the committee has placed equality, and more importantly, safety, ahead of the big dollar sponsors interests.

After all the preparation why would you bother with something so litigous. Well done to the jury about time someone put their foot down

What is so stupid about this is that they had loads of time to sort it out but kept trying rediculous solutions to the problem, rather than going for the failsafe option of a new keel. I guess they will be casting a new one double quick and shipping it to the first stop over.

OK, so The Daily Sail is asserting that the "hollow" keel is now on E4...

1) has anyone heard anything confirmed this?

2) how can this be? Doesn't this mean that E4 is no longer a VO70, since it has small hollows in "its" keel?

2) how can this be? Doesn't this mean that E4 is no longer a VO70, since it has small hollows in "its" keel?

My mate in Spain says that E4's complying keel is in fact E3's replacement after the holy keel was declared illegal and so was E4's. So it sounds like there might be another Ericsson keel that didn't comply. Anyone know about this?

Feel sorry for the guys on E3. It's one thing to get screwed by a competitor but to be screwed by your own team!!! I hope they dump all over E4.

sounds like a major stuff up on Ericsons/ designers behalf. Millions and millions spent on a 2 boat campaign and they stuff this up to try to cheat the rule .

You would think they would have got the boats /keels measured months ago to solve these problems

My mate in Spain says that E4's complying keel is in fact E3's replacement after the holy keel was declared illegal and so was E4's. So it sounds like there might be another Ericsson keel that didn't comply. Anyone know about this?

Feel sorry for the guys on E3. It's one thing to get screwed by a competitor but to be screwed by your own team!!! I hope they dump all over E4.

what i understood is that they swaped keels, i.e., e4 had the illegal keel and e3 the legal one and they changed on for the other so the international crew has the ok boat, with more (or real) chances to win while the nordic crew... well, f*ck the nordic crew.

but i might be wrong, as well. it wouldn't be the first time :P .

Why this desire to punish Ericsson Nordic by points penalty?

They do not have any performance advantage. They have a disadvantage. To provide for the hollows in the fin, it has been designed with more volume to keep the same strength as a conventional fin. Then the hollows has been filled with steel, so their fin is heavier and their bulb is lighter than the rest of the fleet.

Their fin has been filled giving the same effect as if it did not have the 625 grams hollows which they did not manage to fill in the process.

The Rule Management Group (measurers and rules interpretators) have issued a statement that there is no performance gained by the previously hollow keel.

Ericsson management says they were told by VOR and RMG that this repair was ok, that is the reason why they did not build a new one. RMG was even there to witness it.

ERT management are wankers, as they put this shit keel on E3 rather than building a new one.

Some guys in the team say that no one knew there was even a remote possibility that they would be penalized. But there had been harsh discussions in the team because the use of this keel would give them a performance disadvantage, even more than them having half a generation older boat than Ericsson 4.

ABN Amro and Brunel last time was much more illegal than E3 is this time (E3 is a only a formality problem).

Illbruck was fined something like 1000 USD for their modification of the S drive giving them less drag. Where does the E3 penalty stand in relation to this?? Common sense says it is little chance this penalty will be standing.

If E3 builds a new keel, probably ready in India for Leg 3, it must apparently be exactly equal to the one they already have, just that it was solid from the beginning and not filled later. Then what is the point??

If VOR want to punish Juan K or Ericsson Racing Team, why do it by points to the underdogs Ericsson Nordic? This will all be forgotten and Juan K will look great i Ericsson International team does well in the race. So they are ruining the race for the beginners without any effect in the big picture and Juan K would go looking for loopholes for the next race again.

Did the jury get too influenced by the efforts from Puma, Russia and particularly Bouwe Bekking who wanted one competitor less in the middle of the scoreboard to make them look better?

Why is the submission from these teams confidential? What are they hiding?

The only right thing would probably be to punish ERT financially, as the penalty to the Nordic crew does not hit the right pepole.

Sogo-

"They do not have any performance advantage. They have a disadvantage. To provide for the hollows in the fin, it has been designed with more volume to keep the same strength as a conventional fin."

Perhaps start with they should not have "provided" for hollows which are specificly disallowed.

Why is the submission from these teams confidential? What are they hiding?

What gives you the idea it's confidential?

The only right thing would probably be to punish ERT financially, as the penalty to the Nordic crew does not hit the right pepole.

More to the point would be to do it to the Juanker! ERT were kept out of the knowledge loop on all this for a loooong time after the issue was known. Now they have to make the best of a bad job just because JK was trying to circumvent the rule.

The point is not that they are now possibly slower than they might have been but that they were cheating, and that keel is still illegal.

And illegal = illegal however you like to dress it up.

and btw - the fin will still be stiffer than the others and probably more so now if the voids have been filled so thats a performance advantage of it own if somewhat hard to quantify.

But it sure is tough on the sailors and would expect a few desertions along the route...maybe not as many as from the Russians though! hard to think she'll emulate ABN1 from the last race as DFL in the first inport racing and then going on to dominate.