Hike, Bitches!

HB's 'new' boat thread

HD, So I did the water system and head, but not the engine. I actually want to drain the HX and bring it home to check it..I am on the third season since installation now and would like to see how it is holding up (I bought it for $25 on eBay!) The plan would be to plug the lines to the engine to keep the antifreeze in & put pink stuff on the raw water side before disassembly.

How long is it going to take you to do the inspection? Besides peaking in there what else are you going to do to have to take it home? Personally I would winterize the engine like you have in the past with the heat exchanger on.

So do your inspection now and then winterize the engine or put it on your "to do" list for the Spring.

It is like 3 quarts of green antifreeze..which I have not changed since I did FWC in 2012-ish..so it is probably due anyway. I want to check water flow and obstructions and all that stuff which is easier to do in the back yard with a hose.

Yeah. :(

Happy New Year, though. The days are getting longer.

Checked on the boat this weekend...she has not sunk. I did need to de-leaf the cockpit since I am close to trees. C'mon spring!

On one hand, this has been a mild winter and I feel like we really have no right to bitch.

On the other hand, I'm still done with it and ready for spring.

On one hand, this has been a mild winter and I feel like we really have no right to bitch.

On the other hand, I'm still done with it and ready for spring.

Nah. We need a week of sun freezing weather to kill some bugs. That and I installed a remote starter on L's car so she needs a few frosty mornings to really appreciate me. I need the points.

True it's been a pretty easy Winter here on the Chesapeake, so far, but overall I think we have been about average which is highs in the mid 40's. That's about where we have been and looking at the next 15 days that is about where we will be with a few days colder. It's the long grind time for Winter, good time to take a vacation. Once we get towards the end of February weather will start to break around here! I am ready!

The daffodils are trying to sprout...I guess we had some warm days while I was in Key West. I laid some mulch on those bitches so they don't bloom too soon. I think last year they bloomed and then they got snowed upon.. might have been the year before. :rolleyes:

I am still ready for spring.

Yesterday was a pleasant surprise- mid 50's, and sunshine. I had some important errands to run, so no sailing though.

The boat is still floating...the solar panel that took a swim is still dead...need a new one. Worked on the car today since the weather was nice but stopped by the boat to check on her and pick up some tools I needed..I don't quite have two complete sets of everything I need between cars and the boat...maybe some day!

You really need surprisingly few tools to work on most boats. I find I only use 2 or 3 wrenches, 2 or 3 screwdrivers and so forth. No need for full sets of everything.

Keep track of the tools you actually use and get duplicates of them for the boat.

Sloop..the issue was that the tool I needed at home for the car was on the boat..I 100% agree with you!

It's been hitting mid 30's here every day, sneaking into the 40's on occasion. I'm talking Celsius though, so it's bullshit hot. I'm losing over 1.5 l per hour sweat when I run, and the cold water tap is too warm to have a cold shower

I'm dead keen for summer to fuck off up to you northerners and give me a break

Bump - might go fuck off on the boat tomorrow...Or Vitamin Sea's Beneslow...or both...undecided. Almost time to de-winterize!! (Ajax, you sailing all winter doesn't count...weirdo!)

Bump - might go fuck off on the boat tomorrow...Or Vitamin Sea's Beneslow...or both...undecided. Almost time to de-winterize!! (Ajax, you sailing all winter doesn't count...weirdo!)

What do you want from me? Yesterday was 78F degrees near the beltway and 65F down at the water. I'm not going to waste it!

Ajax, nothing...there are advantages to your boat being a minute from your house. :cool:

Bought a new solar panel today from eBay. 30w...should give me 1.5amps of charging for the house bank. Now I can move the old 5w panel to the starting battery since the 3.2w panel took a swim a few weeks ago. Got the washdown pump wired up yesterday too and did a quick check to make sure it ran...ready for spring (almost)!

Nice. After having my shore power supplied battery charger smoke itself in a hot, messy heap I've been very leery of leaving things plugged in while the boat is unattended.

Solar power may be slow, but other than possibly ruining a battery, it's safer.

Pulled the uppers off the chainplates to seal them..Tried to do this previously with the little plate in the way and was not successful. The rain today and tomorrow will prove if my "static" seal is good..Then I can re-install the plate and bolt it thru sealing all of that up before putting the uppers back in place. I am using the main halyard to stbd and jib halyard to port to hold the rig up.

All that old flaky paint is just some one-part keeping the UV off the epoxy..those repairs from 2011 are way back in the thread. Someday, I'll paint the rest of the deck.

post-4755-0-03767900-1488335828_thumb.jpg

post-4755-0-96482100-1488335930_thumb.jpg

That's better than having to paint the hull a dark color with Awlgrip or some similar, bankrupting paint process.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with my green hull. I compounded the hell out of it with a high speed polisher/buffer last May and waxed it but it's already turned to chalk.

If I understood Innocent Bystander correctly, I'll have to do this for a few years in a row to get down to the "good" paint.

I think the mast was Awlgripped as well and that's peeling into an eyesore as well.

The deck doesn't sound like too terrible a job.

It's paint over gelcoat. Awlgrip, I think. I'll have to ask the owner who painted it now that I've found him.

It is but you end up with essentially new gelcoat.

Assuming the Gelcoat is thick enough...i.e. hasn't been aggressively compounded/wet sanded too many times before. But, it is less work (and a butt load cheaper) than painting the hull correctly! And once done, a yearly thorough washing followed by a coat of wax or so is all that is required to keep it looking good.

I plan on hauling in spring or summer over a long weekend so that I can compound and wax again. It looked great last May when I did it. It just didn't last.

First, I need to compound and wax the white deck areas. The rain washes the chalk down the deck drains where it runs down the topsides, making the paint look oxidized when it's really not. Fortunately, I can do the decks while the boat is in the water.

Ajax, when you are buffing the deck do a quick pass over the non-skid with the coarse compound.

It sounds very counter intuitive but it takes off the oxidized material without affecting the non-skid properties of the patterned glass.

Makes it much easier to keep the deck clean than if you only polish up the smooth areas.

Ajax: Is your hull still gecoat or has it been painted? If gelcoat, have you seen Mainesail's method for restoring the finish on a gelcoat hull? http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/52772-tips-compound-polish-wax.html

F that seems like A LOT of work!

By the way - the old Guvinator (sp? that crazy old fart from Texas) says there should be enough gelcoat to do this on your Laser twice HD, when it needs it. :D

Maybe I will try this on my deck this year. It really needs it!

Just doing a short haul to paint the prop and zincs so the hull will have to wait until next year at the earliest. Probably will just do a quick wax again and call it good enough. Figure we spend 95% of the time looking at our deck and 5% looking at our hull. Yikes that reminds me I really need to do some varnish work this year as well.

Unless stored upside down with no cover Laser hulls should only require a polish once a year. That's all I have done with mine and she still looks great. But it's also a 14' boat and could knock out a restore in a day. Gosh small boats are nice!

Speaking of Lasers, you going to join us this year???

Got the uppers re-connected today and got the rig off the halyards and back on the shrouds. Nothing real exciting.

Spring time!!!! Might re-install the dizzy tomorrow with the freshy lubed advance weights and new spark plugs and fire up the old Atomic 4!!!

Got the motor running...My April 1 entry was not an April Fools joke. I have less compression in #3 and #4 cylinders than #1 & #2, but the motor runs and I can get about 1,800 RPM tugging against the dock lines including whatever growth has accumulated on the prop since September that might be inhibiting that.

I hope that once the water is warm enough I can go swimming here on the Chesapeake and I can clean the prop and get a better assessment. Hopefully another season of successful cruising and sailing, and maybe one race! B)

Well...how much less compression? Just a few lbs or...?

HB, I did a short haul last year end of October/early November and my prop was a mess. Was surprised as I had everything nice and clean at the end of August. Bottom looked great it was just the running gear. So I suspect your prop is pretty fouled! I would suggest before you take a trip of any distance you put on your wetsuit and go for a swim. I know how much you enjoy that! :lol:

I clean props for beer! :D

HB, I did a short haul last year end of October/early November and my prop was a mess. Was surprised as I had everything nice and clean at the end of August. Bottom looked great it was just the running gear. So I suspect your prop is pretty fouled! I would suggest before you take a trip of any distance you put on your wetsuit and go for a swim. I know how much you enjoy that! :lol:

Will you do my entire boat for a 6 pack? Might throw in a tri-tip on the smoker as well.

Got the motor running...My April 1 entry was not an April Fools joke. I have less compression in #3 and #4 cylinders than #1 & #2, but the motor runs and I can get about 1,800 RPM tugging against the dock lines including whatever growth has accumulated on the prop since September that might be inhibiting that.

I hope that once the water is warm enough I can go swimming here on the Chesapeake and I can clean the prop and get a better assessment. Hopefully another season of successful cruising and sailing, and maybe one race! B)

Sounds like the head gasket might be leaking between cylinders.

Super easy fix on a flathead.

as long as the compression delta between cylinders isn't more than 5% - you probably don't have a problem. There are usually raw PSI measurements published by the engine manufacturer that'll tell you whether or not what you've got is in the acceptable range.

Will you do my entire boat for a 6 pack? Might throw in a tri-tip on the smoker as well.

I do props for beer, entire boats I will have to think about...

Probably not! :)

I do props for beer, entire boats I will have to think about...

Probably not! :)

Yeah. I figured as much. Fridge still good?

Yea! I had her running a week or so ago and perfect!

Going to spend the night aboard tonight as we have events tonight at the club and then Opening Day tomorrow morning. I'll run the fridge but I could just put my food on deck tonight!

Hope you packed a heater!

I ended up not spending the night aboard, ran out of time to get all my stuff together... Boat has Heat/AC. As long as the water is over 40 it works great. We are at about 55 right now so not bad at all. Boat warms up quick.

Sounds like the head gasket might be leaking between cylinders.

Super easy fix on a flathead.

Sloop, I agree. This motor has had SEVERAL head gaskets replaced on it per the P.O., but I have had it 8 seasons and not had to do it yet. I do carry every gasket for the motor on board as a spare, so I could easily do it if needed. I should answer yours and Ajax's question by doing a compression check. Last time (about 5 years ago maybe?) it was (#1-4) 97, 97, 95, and 80. #4 was drowned more than once by the P.O. with overcrank episodes that flooded seawater into the #4. I give it liberal MMO treatments throughout the season. I should probably yank the head and clean it up and do a gasket. It is possible that a valve is not sealing against its seat very well either.

HD, It is ALMOST warm enough for me to swim with a wetsuit...low 60's water temp! I'll get her out at anchor here in a few weeks and at least get the prop clean. Last haul was the week before mixed couples event in August. :-/

If the engine has eaten several head gaskets the either the deck or the head is probably out of true.

When you have the head off, check the deck with a good straightedge like a machinists rule and a feeler gauge. Same with the head and maybe have it shaved a hair just to be sure.

If the engine has eaten several head gaskets the either the deck or the head is probably out of true.

When you have the head off, check the deck with a good straightedge like a machinists rule and a feeler gauge. Same with the head and maybe have it shaved a hair just to be sure.

Agreed. (Relatively) short dollars at the local machine shop, and you both (you and the engine) will be much happier afterward!

If it's just the head, 1 beer project.

If it's the block, it's at least a full six pack since you need to pull the engine to drive it over to the machine shop....

You also need to strip it down to the bare block - I've never heard of a machine shop surfacing a complete short block.

A several case job I'd say.

You also need to strip it down to the bare block - I've never heard of a machine shop surfacing a complete short block.

A several case job I'd say.

Realistically, I think it's probably a one-case job. Requires a minimum of 4 individuals. Duties as follows:

Individual #1: Responsible for procuring and opening said case of beer. Must also drink beer.

Individual #2: Responsible for bringing beer-opening device. Must also collect empty containers formerly holding beer. Must drink beer.

Individual #3: Responsible for providing appropriate snacks and other nourishment. Must drink beer but not enough to prevent following instructions from individual #4.

Individual #4: Responsible for stripping everything off of the engine block. Since it's a C30, it's probably quite possible to do inside the boat. Must drink beer in moderation until complete. May engage assistance ("Hold this!") from Individual #3 as needed. May drink all remaining beer once block is stripped and Individuals #1, #2, and #3 manhandle block out of companionway and deposit in back of vehicle.

I think it can be done in an afternoon. Reverse will require at least all day, and #3 probably shouldn't drink much at all until it's done.

Don't overlook the crank, rods. pistons, valves, springs...... - need a bare block for the machinist. ;)

If we got into that much work, I'd probably just source a new block from Moyer Marine, since they started casting them a few years ago. About 5 years ago, all of us Atomic 4 people were busy lighting up the interwebs close to our friends with other A-4's alerting them to a nearby engine for sale, as blocks were seemingly in short supply. While not really cheap, the Moyer option helps take the worry out of trying to replace a worn-out block with another 35+ year old block that is hopefully in better shape.

Thanks for the tips guys. All that being said, I am still hoping to find a used motor that I can salvage out of a trashed boat, and maybe bring it home and rebuild properly, and then drop it in if this one ever fails completely. So far, and a few thousand of hours on the motor later, it is still running. B)

Well... heck... you could also always just go crazy and drop in a diesel...

I think a Universal M25 will fit just about perfectly

How about just checking the deck surfaces and changing the head gasket? :rolleyes:

$50 instead of many boat bucks.

Red, Been thru all those details. The M-25's that are powerful enough for the Fat Bottomed Girl 10500# C-30 is too tall to fit under the galley comfortably that was designed around the A-4. The boats that have done this conversion have a hump in the dinette seat to accommodate the engine. :(

The WORST attempt was the woefully underpowered Universal 2-cyl 5411 at only 11 HP.

Red, Been thru all those details. The M-25's that are powerful enough for the Fat Bottomed Girl 10500# C-30 is too tall to fit under the galley comfortably that was designed around the A-4. The boats that have done this conversion have a hump in the dinette seat to accommodate the engine. :(

The WORST attempt was the woefully underpowered Universal 2-cyl 5411 at only 11 HP.

Some Fat Bottomed Girls are pretty fine.

Funny you mention the 5411. One of my dockmates is trying to unload a non-running 5411 that he had tried to put in his old C30, but didn't. Old C30 sold on with the A4 still in there, and dockmate has 5411 gathering dust and needing a rebuild.

Well..and there you go RR

BTW, Ish. I've seen The Band Perry play..pretty good group!

The only boat I know named Fat Bottomed Girl was a J/29. I guess it fits by today's standards of planers, but pretty high tech compared to my C-30 (but I can stand up in my C-30 and I cannot stand up in most boats I have been on that can plane!)

So, my buddy with C-30 hull #355 next to me does not have his own thread, and probably no SA account, but I am happy to report that all the sailboats at our little dock have running engines now. His had been mothballed for about 19 months while he was out of country for work.

Tomorrow we are going to make sure that they haven't grown into the bottom of the Chesapeake and will exit their slips under their own power!

Tomorrow we are going to make sure that they haven't grown into the bottom of the Chesapeake and will exit their slips under their own power!

...Pictures, or it didn't happen! :D

Well..and there you go RR

BTW, Ish. I've seen The Band Perry play..pretty good group!

The only boat I know named Fat Bottomed Girl was a J/29. I guess it fits by today's standards of planers, but pretty high tech compared to my C-30 (but I can stand up in my C-30 and I cannot stand up in most boats I have been on that can plane!)

If you are really good you can stand up in your Laser under plane! :lol:

I smell OD C30 racing...

On 4/30/2017 at 6:30 PM, Tom Scott said:

...Pictures, or it didn't happen! :D

Notice the mud trail I left to the right of the pic during slip exit..might have been sea grass on the keel. lol

under way.jpg

And some random A-4 porn...for those of you into old school motors..

A-4_may2017.jpg

On 5/3/2017 at 8:00 AM, Ajax said:

I smell OD C30 racing...

Ha...so one of the boats has a tall rig with a bow sprit...he'd owe  (depending on prop/furl credits and shit) as much as 27 seconds per mile!

So, I learned today that the tall rig guy works at the marina and lives on the boat in the summer, and winters somewhere south of here. With all that extra stuff aboard, I'd let him race straight up. Sounds like it is more of a floating condo though, I don't think he's taken it out of the slip in years.

Ha..(bump)

Decided to haul the boat...some crazy fall growth made the boat almost unusable this spring,.this is what was hiding under the slings once she was on jackstands. Turned it around in 3 days. She was happy all cleaned up.

goofy_growth.jpg

launched.jpg

36 minutes ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

Might be time for an update. Inhaulers on a 4KSB.

It's now a 4.0001KSB

29 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

It's now a 4.0001KSB

If it's like most incremental improvements, it's now a 3.99987 KSB

Hey Bitches....check it....2,300 RPM on a 1977 Direct Drive Atomic 4 on my 4KSB with 25' LWL. This might not like seem like much of a revelation, but that is 250-300 RPM more than I used to get back in the day at WOT.

Anyone that knows Atomic4's lugging along at 1700-ish RPM for most of their miserable existence will know this is cool. The rest of you can fuck off.

2300.jpg

Cool.  What size beta did you get? 

BD722.  It's basically a drop-in replacement.

Note:  If you had the 11 horsepower diesel before, you'll need a new prop to utilize this engine to its utmost.

15 hours ago, Grrr... said:

BD722.  It's basically a drop-in replacement.

Note:  If you had the 11 horsepower diesel before, you'll need a new prop to utilize this engine to its utmost.

Beta caused me some confusion when I inquired about a re-power for my Tartan.

I have the Universal M30 which is 24hp. The rep at Beta told me that I didn't need an engine that powerful because of the weight differential between new and old diesels and recommended something smaller.  Nothing is wrong with the M30, I'm just planning ahead for that fateful day...

4 hours ago, Ajax said:

Beta caused me some confusion when I inquired about a re-power for my Tartan.

I have the Universal M30 which is 24hp. The rep at Beta told me that I didn't need an engine that powerful because of the weight differential between new and old diesels and recommended something smaller.  Nothing is wrong with the M30, I'm just planning ahead for that fateful day...

Beta guy was full of it (which surprises me).  The amount of weight you might save is a fractional percentage of your boat's total weight.  Like 1%.  Lowering your power by roughly 8% is not cancelled out by a 1% weight save.

All that said - if you are over-powered, i.e. it's easy to hit hull speed with your current motor, going a little smaller won't hurt much.

I have chatted with the Beta guys at the Boat Show in Naptown. They seem like nice guys, but they certainly are interested in selling their product.

The 11HP Universal 5411(M-15) diesel that originally replaced the Atomic4 is totally inadequate for a tubby C-30. Hell, until we've started to experiment 40 years later how to get the RPM's and HP output up on a direct drive Atomic 4 with proper timing and smaller props, the A-4 wasn't really an adequate motor either. The M-25's jammed in later boats were never designed to be stuffed into the dinette/galley area, but they have enough HP, and I assume a reduction drive for the prop.

Just like power boats, displacement boats need fine tuning on the props. I am in discussions with some guys in California that are down to 2-blade 10" diameter props getting more RPM's than me with plenty of engine thrust on their A-4's. The biggest issue has been the margin of error in Universal's guide using their flywheel roll pin as a timing guide, which allows several degrees of error, at best. We are developing some more precise timing ideas that seem to be working.

Back to diesels, all of my diesel friends have said you should be propped such that you can get to within 50-100 RPM of max RPM on the diesel at WOT. Cruise RPM varies accordingly to your desired fuel consumption and cruise speed...

Ajax, your motor should run forever..if not already, it needs antifreeze cooling (FWC), so the sacrificial part every ten years or so is the $400 heat exchanger, not the engine block/manifold, etc. 

sidebar - Grrr.... Do you still have the S2 7.9? I am not selling my 4KSB, but may have someone interested in an S2 7.9. Send me a PM with all the details you choose to provide.

On the topic of matching prop to engine, when I bought my Tartan, the Martec prop broke a blade off while on the hard. There was pink in the fracture, so it most likely would have failed in the water.  By a miracle, I managed to find another Martec in very good condition, of a good diameter and pitch at Bacon Sails in Annapolis.

So far, so good-  I can hit 2800 rpm (WOT for the M-30), no black smoke, and 6.8 - 7 kts SOG with a clean hull.

Heat exchangers are fairly universal, it's just a matter of buying one of the proper capacity. My worry is other parts becoming hard to find as the engine becomes (more) obsolete. I'm looking to pick up a fresh water recirculating pump just to have a spare on hand.

Nice, Ajax..everything I've heard about diesels is you want to be able to achieve 100 RPM or so 'below' the engine's rated WOT with your prop, so it sounds like you are there..I'd like to find a Martec some day..all the feathering shit is way over priced for my 4KSB. I could probably settle for a 12 x 6..but I might ask for a 12 x 5 Martec if I ordered one since my prop would be spinning the same speed as the engine..2,000+ RPM...or maybe ask them to shave the diameter down to 11".

re: FW circulating pumps..I am running a Johnson CM-130 electric pump on my antifreeze side. It runs on my 12v ignition circuit. I have a couple hundred hours on it with ZERO problems...it is rated to about 210°F, but I would shut the motor down if it gets to 200°F anyway, and it has never gotten hotter than about 185°F, even working hard in the middle of summer when the Bay temps are 85°F+. At 200°F, I have a blockage or something I need to be dealing with on the raw water side. 

Hm... an electric recirc. pump may be the way to go if parts get scarce or prohibitively expensive in the future...

Ooops..just to clarify..I added an erroneous digit in my last post..I am running this - CM30. http://www.spxflow.com/en/johnson-pump-marine/pd-mp-marine-circulation-pumps-cm10-cm30-cm90/

In theory, it is zero maintenance, as opposed to an impeller every few hundred hours on a mechanical pump..I'll replace this at $150 maybe every 6-700 hours maybe??, and keep the old one as a spare...it draws something like 2.5 amps, so I have piggy backed it on my Atomic4's ignition circuit wired with 12 gauge wire. If it does fail, some simple hose rerouting will allow me go back to raw water cooled to get home and get another pump.

NICE!!!!!! You might be missing a sail though..the one that goes on the solid bits maybe. I know...baby steps!

P.S.> What anchor roller you got??? I am thinking about one to double as an asym kite anchor point.

4 minutes ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

NICE!!!!!! You might be missing a sail though..the one that goes on the solid bits maybe. I know...baby steps!

P.S.> What anchor roller you got??? I am thinking about one to double as an asym kite anchor point.

Well..... I'm stuck until next weekend without the mainsail.  The yard guy that put up my stick didn't know what lazy jacks were for and left them tied together at the spreaders.... meaning that I can't hoist the main at all.  I have to run my 12 year old up the mast and have him run lines for me, and also adjust the spreader light they knocked all out of whack.

I wish I could give you a better anchor roller answer, but it's the "it came with the boat" variety.

Understood on all fronts..maybe snap a pic of the anchor roller when it is convenient. I ditched the tractor lights on the spreaders for the deck light that is in the integrated AquaSignal steaming/deck combo, but that doesn't mean that works for you too.

Good to see the boat sailing!

P.S.> I passed S2 7.9 details on to the interested parties. Will follow up if needed.

16 hours ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

Understood on all fronts..maybe snap a pic of the anchor roller when it is convenient. I ditched the tractor lights on the spreaders for the deck light that is in the integrated AquaSignal steaming/deck combo, but that doesn't mean that works for you too.

Good to see the boat sailing!

P.S.> I passed S2 7.9 details on to the interested parties. Will follow up if needed.

Yeah - I ditched the tractor lights too and went with LED's.

Um5Iqkd.jpg

On another note, bitches, my father-in-law has a anchor roller that pivots and puts the anchor in with almost no swing.  Mine is fixed position.  I'll try to get a picture if I'm down there this weekend.

Thanks for the threadjack, Gigi...now, show us your tits in my thread!! Let's hope you were not born in 1943~!~!~!!!

Here ya go bitches.  Finally got down there this weekend to do a little more work.

pMbmL5L.jpg

Edf6T13.jpg

Glad to see you haven't ground the front three feet off in an unexpected storm.