Hike, Bitches!

HB's 'new' boat thread

Recommended Posts

well..the good ship TA is laid up for the winter. I always have projects so we'll see how things go between now and April. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

well..the good ship TA is laid up for the winter. I always have projects so we'll see how things go between now and April. 

Aren't you going to put in a webcam so we can watch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Aren't you going to put in a webcam so we can watch?

That's an outstanding idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, shit this will be easy..I'll update it about whenever I feel like it. How about, today!  NW winds 15-20 gusts to 25, and 22°F. The seawater is mushy, but not frozen. Need a little more sunshine to get my solar panels out from under the snow!

frozen_jan2018 (Small).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re-bedded the middle stbd window which was leaking a bit. I'll take one window out of eight leaking after replacing them all a couple years ago. The re-bed was successful with butyl tape. I must have not had quite enough packed in the window frame on the first go 'round..but for now, all windows are water tight. No window leaks are a big deal on a 40 year old boat! B)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

Re-bedded the middle stbd window which was leaking a bit. I'll take one window out of eight leaking after replacing them all a couple years ago. The re-bed was successful with butyl tape. I must have not had quite enough packed in the window frame on the first go 'round..but for now, all windows are water tight. No window leaks are a big deal on a 40 year old boat! B)

Dude, if your boat is dry in this deluge, then you've done it right!

My hatches and seals are dry but the damned mast leaks. Time for Spartite or at least a new mast boot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great snow pic. I'm working between rainstorms to replace all nine windows. Way more work than I would have thought.

Ajax, my yard did not consider Spartite to be sufficient sealant, but rather excellent wedging at the partners. They glued up a 100% watertight boot out of dive-suit-like neoprene. Then a layer of self-amalgating tape. Then suggested a Sunbrella or vinyl sunblocker over that. Zero interior leaks...except what comes down the inside...which ends up in the bilge.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, daddle said:

Great snow pic. I'm working between rainstorms to replace all nine windows. Way more work than I would have thought.

Ajax, my yard did not consider Spartite to be sufficient sealant, but rather excellent wedging at the partners. They glued up a 100% watertight boot out of dive-suit-like neoprene. Then a layer of self-amalgating tape. Then suggested a Sunbrella or vinyl sunblocker over that. Zero interior leaks...except what comes down the inside...which ends up in the bilge.

I think you're on to something there. I don't really ever see a lot of drops running down the exterior of the mast. I think the water comes from damned radar cable. I can't see if a "drip loop" was put into the cable. I'm betting not.

The radar is a non-functional, Raymarine pathfinder left over from the PO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheapest and simplest mast boot is a piece of an old innertube cut to size and two VERY long hose clamps.

Cut the tube long enough to get a good overlap - like 50% if you can. Arrange it so the seam runs down the back side of the spar. Mount it upside down and tighten the top clamp. Fold it down over the top clamp and clamp it on the outside at the bottom. Run a bead of sealer around the top to fill the small depression caused by folding it over the top clamp.

Looks very neat and no leaks - ever. Works best with some sort of cover or UV will degrade the tube material after a few years.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ajax, In my opinion, SparTite is really designed to keep the mast in place in the partners especially for tuning a race boat..but is NOT water tight by any means.

Sailing Specialties Inc, right near me in Hollwood, MD, makes a stepped mast boot...You can usually get it at the local Worst Marine.

Pete has been using one of these on his Tartan 3000 for years...It seems to last ten years or so..I think we might be on the 3rd one now after 20+ years.

I also made a few out of acrylic back in the day in the sail loft..Measure circumference on the mast, and circumference on the base at the deck, and sew the necessary seam to accommodate. Install with the top inside out and upside down with a hose clamp and sealant, and fold the cover over like you do a collar over your neck tie, then external hose clamp for the mast base, or a draw string, if the base supports that.

Sloop's solution works too, and is cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my (limited) experience, SparTite does a great job of keeping water out until the first time you pull the stick and break the integrity of the poured seal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 what IStream said..if you never drop the stick, it might be OK. On the Farr 30 we had trouble getting it to break when we pulled the stick, but it still leaked after first pour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am drilling holes in the boat again..need an excuse to bump the thread. Might be a bigger anchor in the 4KSB's future. Need a roller.4ksb_anchor_roller.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On January 5, 2018 at 7:43 PM, Hike, Bitches! said:

Well, shit this will be easy..I'll update it about whenever I feel like it. How about, today!  NW winds 15-20 gusts to 25, and 22°F. The seawater is mushy, but not frozen. Need a little more sunshine to get my solar panels out from under the snow!

frozen_jan2018 (Small).jpg

When I first saw this pic I thought you had a white tarp in the cockpit. That's crazy. 

Is there going to be a party for the 10th anniversary of this thread?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's an idea loser, I'd show up for that party. 10 years, damn.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

Holy crap. 

Haven't you finished yet? Jeepers.

We got our last boat in 2006 and we're still upgrading stuff. There's lots of stuff not touched that should be, like the overboard discharge system. I touched it a couple of times and it didn't go well, so now I leave it alone except for occasional wipedowns with bleach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Slick470 said:

There's an idea loser, I'd show up for that party. 10 years, damn.

This does not bode well for me. I'm only 2 years in. Well, beginning the 3rd season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ajax, I think you need to combine your two (three?) threads and see where that puts you. We bought our Olson in 2010, I haven't started a thread about it, but I'm still surprised how much is still left on the to-do list. Of course as priorities change, so does the list. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10yrs? That's like thread archaeology.  What would you say is the biggest difference between now and then? 

 

 

I'm 7 years in. A thread would be grim.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, well it is not ten years yet, but we are getting close and I am going to the dark side. The "flying skate/stingray" has been successfully mounted to the bow along with a new anchor roller.

Elegua, the biggest difference is interior work, which I've chronicled pretty well, and new cushions for Mrs. Bitches to sleep on & main salon that I sewed as an old sail loft guy. We would not want to re-visit window rebuilds, re-wiring, shaft log/prop, stbd bulkhead replacement, re-bed deck hardware, anchor washdown, standing rigging, Catalina smile, still trying to solve the tiller post water leak, etc., which I am pretty sure is hanging out in this thread too. One thing I THOUGHT I would have done by now is sand down the gelcoat and paint the hull..but those are cosmetics..I've been messing around with a lot of mechanicals so cosmetics take a back seat.

On the current agenda is anchor locker lid (that green leftover spray painted thing is plywood to keep the rain out while I re-work the anchor lid needs), and I probably need to pull the main hatch and rebuild it and re-bed the screws.

However, If you want to come raft up next to my happy-ass with this anchor and 20' of chain, I expect no issues...

flying_stingray1.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey nice!  You managed to get that anchor bracket mounted huh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now you can anchor like a boss!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hahaha...yeah..it is a BOSS...I have a powerboat anchor on my sailboat...might test it out this weekend..Well..at least we'll detach the 4KSB from the dock. About damn time. Did a bit of electrical work to her in the last couple weeks. Got rid of the old analog gauges that had a 100(!) amp ammeter. C'mon, man! I am lucky to get to 10 amps with all lights and pumps running. The first pic is circa 2013.

Still working on the anchor locker lid mods to accommodate the BOSS. 

light_white.jpg

panel_upgrades_2018.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anchor locker in works. Adding a tunnel for the chain, and redoing the core with Nomex.

cut up locker lid.jpg

anchor_locker_nomex_trim-to-fit.jpg

Anchor_lid_6-10_gouge_repairs.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no pics to update, but glassed in the core this morning, and did the first 'repair layer' on top after dremeling out and filling the gaps with West six-10. Good stuff...I can see lots more uses for that in the future.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That electric panel on the  Nav table is a beautiful thing.

 Who really wants to see the inside of a anchor locker?  I have been there that is an overlooked area.  Mine does get sprayed out with a garden hose once a year after a leak that was repaired a few years ago.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2018 at 12:03 AM, Hike, Bitches! said:

anchor locker in works. Adding a tunnel for the chain, and redoing the core with Nomex.

cut up locker lid.jpg

anchor_locker_nomex_trim-to-fit.jpg

Anchor_lid_6-10_gouge_repairs.jpg

Nice.  I did that with plywood and glass when I repainted, but I may go back and add another piece of plywood and glass.  Things on a boat should NOT bend when you step on them.  The main hatch is another culprit of flexing.  Makes you nervous....

We need a cheap vacation this year so we're thinking of cruising up north (Huron and Superior).  So I'm looking at getting the electronics cleaned up and working.  I have an autohelm, a raymarine radar, and a stray raymarine square display that does who-the-hell knows what.  I need to track down the transducers under the boat and figure out what this beast even has.  Coming from a 26 foot racer most instruments are totally superfluous.  If you can't tell how the boat is doing by feel you don't belong on a boat.  But the autohelm and chartplotter are instrumental for long distance cruising.

I'm thinking about doing a tablet for chartplotting.  There are water resistant options.  I'd just need to make a sun-resistant cubby to place it so you can actually see the damn thing in bright sun.  Right now I use my phone as a chartplotter when we go out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey dew, good to hear from you. Just make sure your wires to the running lights haven't failed yet from being jammed up inside the cabin liner. This was the FINAL circuit from the old panel that I've re-wired. I finally re-ran mine after seeing the chafe during the anchor lid work. I ran a new set of wires thru the v-berth and into the anchor locker via daylight I saw in the laminate in the sunlight, and sealed it up with 4200.

I like the panel too..way overkill for our old boats, but big fun. I bet I am probably using about 65% of the breakers now..(I'd have to check..it is nice to separate the circuits at will). Will you be up in Solomons for Screwpile this year?!?!?!

grrr..i am using an iPad for chartplotting in a LifeProof case. It is attached to a spring loaded RAM mount clamp. I usually attach it to one of the companionway handrails..Bright sun is a problem..my bimini has helped a bit. The clamp mount also lets me attach it to one of the main cabin handholds, but you need to be able to see that from the helm position. 

To move forward on that, I have ST40 instruments. I have been researching a ~$100 box that will take old-school SeaTalk and spew it over WiFi along with AIS data and send it to the iPad..I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.  I like having AIS data for the ships and tugs we see on the Chesapeake, but right now that is my phone with the mAIS app.

Here is a link to the unit I am considering. https://www.tindie.com/products/Quarkelec/qk-a027-wireless-aisgps-receiver-with-seatalk/

I still do not mind getting on VHF Ch13 to chat with the pilots. They are usually thankful someone is paying attention to them rumbling up or down the Bay at 15-20 knots and want to chat for a minute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2018 at 11:14 PM, Hike, Bitches! said:

Hey dew, good to hear from you. Just make sure your wires to the running lights haven't failed yet from being jammed up inside the cabin liner. This was the FINAL circuit from the old panel that I've re-wired. I finally re-ran mine after seeing the chafe during the anchor lid work. I ran a new set of wires thru the v-berth and into the anchor locker via daylight I saw in the laminate in the sunlight, and sealed it up with 4200.

I like the panel too..way overkill for our old boats, but big fun. I bet I am probably using about 65% of the breakers now..(I'd have to check..it is nice to separate the circuits at will). Will you be up in Solomons for Screwpile this year?!?!?!

grrr..i am using an iPad for chartplotting in a LifeProof case. It is attached to a spring loaded RAM mount clamp. I usually attach it to one of the companionway handrails..Bright sun is a problem..my bimini has helped a bit. The clamp mount also lets me attach it to one of the main cabin handholds, but you need to be able to see that from the helm position. 

To move forward on that, I have ST40 instruments. I have been researching a ~$100 box that will take old-school SeaTalk and spew it over WiFi along with AIS data and send it to the iPad..I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.  I like having AIS data for the ships and tugs we see on the Chesapeake, but right now that is my phone with the mAIS app.

Here is a link to the unit I am considering. https://www.tindie.com/products/Quarkelec/qk-a027-wireless-aisgps-receiver-with-seatalk/

I still do not mind getting on VHF Ch13 to chat with the pilots. They are usually thankful someone is paying attention to them rumbling up or down the Bay at 15-20 knots and want to chat for a minute.

I was hoping against hope that the new E-Ink color version of the e-readers were on sale, but we're still a year or two away.  GPS charts don't update the display all that quickly, so the E-ink would be alright for the application, and you can easily read the E-Ink in any type of light, including bright sunlight.  I keep hoping.....

I don't have need of the AIS data here in the Great Lakes, so I just use a stand alone nav app that uses the phone/tablet's internal GPS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well..I have managed to get the boat out sailing once in the month of July. Had to take care of a little problem first, though.

The sailing ended up being fabulous. Now, I've been out on OPB's again.

 

ugh.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That boat's a freighter tadpoles. By Fall, it'll have a bow bulb, lost its keel, and grown to 500' LOA. Nature truly is a wonder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2018 at 2:55 PM, Hobie Dog said:

WTF is that growing up on your bow???

Hey, I was contributing to the comeback of the quality of the Bay waters with the beginnings of a reef! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By growing oysters and barnacles on his hull, he's a mobile filtration system. He sails to the various creeks and tributaries and cleans them up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Need a dozen raw for HH? No problem where is my mask, I'll be right back!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has been three weeks...time to sail and clean her again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey HB - does your companionway ladder have rings of wood around the feet to keep it from moving?  My previous owner appears to have butchered  them and the steps don't stay in place.  I made new rings to screw down but I'm curious what you have there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grrr..negative on the wood stuff. I moved my steps to starboard a few inches, to give a little more room in the galley. My steps dead end on the fiberglass floor, with the port foot just missing the access to the stuffing box and landing on the more solid cabin sole. Newer boats have the steps take an angle down to create more foot space in the last 6" or so, but I have the older school straight with no angle steps. That does not change the left or right clearance...just a bit more before you smack the galley with your toes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going cruising this weekend, bitches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What are you all up to??!?!?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be "land yachting" on Chincoteague Island with in-laws.  Last weekend was the mandatory annual visit to the middle of nowhere, North Carolina to visit the parents.

When exactly, did I lose control of how I spend my vacation days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ajax said:

I'll be "land yachting" on Chincoteague Island with in-laws.  Last weekend was the mandatory annual visit to the middle of nowhere, North Carolina to visit the parents.

When exactly, did I lose control of how I spend my vacation days?

Stock up on Off - and enjoy the ponies! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ajax said:

I'll be "land yachting" on Chincoteague Island with in-laws.  Last weekend was the mandatory annual visit to the middle of nowhere, North Carolina to visit the parents.

When exactly, did I lose control of how I spend my vacation days?

Let's see.  A daughter of a friend is getting married tomorrow afternoon and Sunday is an annual fund raising brunch and silent auction for Alzheimer's research that we have helped organize and run since it's inception 6 or 7 years ago.  At least I can look out the window and see that the mast is still standing through the trees.  

I'm headed to Newport in a couple of weeks for 4 days of sailing just to get away from other demands on my time.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The good ship TA hosted its owners for their first overnight this weekend. The boat was great. The storms on Saturday night kind of sucked, but no problems, and we were hanging out with some other boaters too. Somewhere is a drone picture on the FB..We had 14-15 sailboats and a few powerboats hanging off the ends too.

My adjustable regulator is putting out voltage a bit low...only 13.79v...We ran the motor for about 4 hours this weekend, so I need to tug her against the dock lines and tune that up a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First overnight of the season??? That is totally unacceptable!

But it's a start!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bitch, I know.

I tweaked my regulator back to 14.2v. Need some petrol, I have managed to almost burn a full tank of fuel with a few booze cruises and day sails, even though we've only spent one night on the boat.:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now