Hike, Bitches!

HB's 'new' boat thread

well..the good ship TA is laid up for the winter. I always have projects so we'll see how things go between now and April. 

38 minutes ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

well..the good ship TA is laid up for the winter. I always have projects so we'll see how things go between now and April. 

Aren't you going to put in a webcam so we can watch?

18 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Aren't you going to put in a webcam so we can watch?

That's an outstanding idea.

Well, shit this will be easy..I'll update it about whenever I feel like it. How about, today!  NW winds 15-20 gusts to 25, and 22°F. The seawater is mushy, but not frozen. Need a little more sunshine to get my solar panels out from under the snow!

frozen_jan2018 (Small).jpg

Re-bedded the middle stbd window which was leaking a bit. I'll take one window out of eight leaking after replacing them all a couple years ago. The re-bed was successful with butyl tape. I must have not had quite enough packed in the window frame on the first go 'round..but for now, all windows are water tight. No window leaks are a big deal on a 40 year old boat! B)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

Re-bedded the middle stbd window which was leaking a bit. I'll take one window out of eight leaking after replacing them all a couple years ago. The re-bed was successful with butyl tape. I must have not had quite enough packed in the window frame on the first go 'round..but for now, all windows are water tight. No window leaks are a big deal on a 40 year old boat! B)

Dude, if your boat is dry in this deluge, then you've done it right!

My hatches and seals are dry but the damned mast leaks. Time for Spartite or at least a new mast boot.

Great snow pic. I'm working between rainstorms to replace all nine windows. Way more work than I would have thought.

Ajax, my yard did not consider Spartite to be sufficient sealant, but rather excellent wedging at the partners. They glued up a 100% watertight boot out of dive-suit-like neoprene. Then a layer of self-amalgating tape. Then suggested a Sunbrella or vinyl sunblocker over that. Zero interior leaks...except what comes down the inside...which ends up in the bilge.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, daddle said:

Great snow pic. I'm working between rainstorms to replace all nine windows. Way more work than I would have thought.

Ajax, my yard did not consider Spartite to be sufficient sealant, but rather excellent wedging at the partners. They glued up a 100% watertight boot out of dive-suit-like neoprene. Then a layer of self-amalgating tape. Then suggested a Sunbrella or vinyl sunblocker over that. Zero interior leaks...except what comes down the inside...which ends up in the bilge.

I think you're on to something there. I don't really ever see a lot of drops running down the exterior of the mast. I think the water comes from damned radar cable. I can't see if a "drip loop" was put into the cable. I'm betting not.

The radar is a non-functional, Raymarine pathfinder left over from the PO.

Cheapest and simplest mast boot is a piece of an old innertube cut to size and two VERY long hose clamps.

Cut the tube long enough to get a good overlap - like 50% if you can. Arrange it so the seam runs down the back side of the spar. Mount it upside down and tighten the top clamp. Fold it down over the top clamp and clamp it on the outside at the bottom. Run a bead of sealer around the top to fill the small depression caused by folding it over the top clamp.

Looks very neat and no leaks - ever. Works best with some sort of cover or UV will degrade the tube material after a few years.

• Like 2

Ajax, In my opinion, SparTite is really designed to keep the mast in place in the partners especially for tuning a race boat..but is NOT water tight by any means.

Sailing Specialties Inc, right near me in Hollwood, MD, makes a stepped mast boot...You can usually get it at the local Worst Marine.

Pete has been using one of these on his Tartan 3000 for years...It seems to last ten years or so..I think we might be on the 3rd one now after 20+ years.

I also made a few out of acrylic back in the day in the sail loft..Measure circumference on the mast, and circumference on the base at the deck, and sew the necessary seam to accommodate. Install with the top inside out and upside down with a hose clamp and sealant, and fold the cover over like you do a collar over your neck tie, then external hose clamp for the mast base, or a draw string, if the base supports that.

Sloop's solution works too, and is cheap.

In my (limited) experience, SparTite does a great job of keeping water out until the first time you pull the stick and break the integrity of the poured seal. 

+1 what IStream said..if you never drop the stick, it might be OK. On the Farr 30 we had trouble getting it to break when we pulled the stick, but it still leaked after first pour.

I am drilling holes in the boat again..need an excuse to bump the thread. Might be a bigger anchor in the 4KSB's future. Need a roller.4ksb_anchor_roller.jpg

On January 5, 2018 at 7:43 PM, Hike, Bitches! said:

Well, shit this will be easy..I'll update it about whenever I feel like it. How about, today!  NW winds 15-20 gusts to 25, and 22°F. The seawater is mushy, but not frozen. Need a little more sunshine to get my solar panels out from under the snow!

frozen_jan2018 (Small).jpg

When I first saw this pic I thought you had a white tarp in the cockpit. That's crazy. 

Is there going to be a party for the 10th anniversary of this thread?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

Holy crap. 

Haven't you finished yet? Jeepers.

We got our last boat in 2006 and we're still upgrading stuff. There's lots of stuff not touched that should be, like the overboard discharge system. I touched it a couple of times and it didn't go well, so now I leave it alone except for occasional wipedowns with bleach.

12 hours ago, Slick470 said:

There's an idea loser, I'd show up for that party. 10 years, damn.

This does not bode well for me. I'm only 2 years in. Well, beginning the 3rd season.

Ajax, I think you need to combine your two (three?) threads and see where that puts you. We bought our Olson in 2010, I haven't started a thread about it, but I'm still surprised how much is still left on the to-do list. Of course as priorities change, so does the list. 

10yrs? That's like thread archaeology.  What would you say is the biggest difference between now and then? 

I'm 7 years in. A thread would be grim.  

Ok, well it is not ten years yet, but we are getting close and I am going to the dark side. The "flying skate/stingray" has been successfully mounted to the bow along with a new anchor roller.

Elegua, the biggest difference is interior work, which I've chronicled pretty well, and new cushions for Mrs. Bitches to sleep on & main salon that I sewed as an old sail loft guy. We would not want to re-visit window rebuilds, re-wiring, shaft log/prop, stbd bulkhead replacement, re-bed deck hardware, anchor washdown, standing rigging, Catalina smile, still trying to solve the tiller post water leak, etc., which I am pretty sure is hanging out in this thread too. One thing I THOUGHT I would have done by now is sand down the gelcoat and paint the hull..but those are cosmetics..I've been messing around with a lot of mechanicals so cosmetics take a back seat.

On the current agenda is anchor locker lid (that green leftover spray painted thing is plywood to keep the rain out while I re-work the anchor lid needs), and I probably need to pull the main hatch and rebuild it and re-bed the screws.

However, If you want to come raft up next to my happy-ass with this anchor and 20' of chain, I expect no issues...

flying_stingray1.jpg

• Like 1

Hahaha...yeah..it is a BOSS...I have a powerboat anchor on my sailboat...might test it out this weekend..Well..at least we'll detach the 4KSB from the dock. About damn time. Did a bit of electrical work to her in the last couple weeks. Got rid of the old analog gauges that had a 100(!) amp ammeter. C'mon, man! I am lucky to get to 10 amps with all lights and pumps running. The first pic is circa 2013.

Still working on the anchor locker lid mods to accommodate the BOSS. 

light_white.jpg

panel_upgrades_2018.jpg

anchor locker in works. Adding a tunnel for the chain, and redoing the core with Nomex.

cut up locker lid.jpg

anchor_locker_nomex_trim-to-fit.jpg

Anchor_lid_6-10_gouge_repairs.jpg

no pics to update, but glassed in the core this morning, and did the first 'repair layer' on top after dremeling out and filling the gaps with West six-10. Good stuff...I can see lots more uses for that in the future.

• Like 2

That electric panel on the  Nav table is a beautiful thing.

Who really wants to see the inside of a anchor locker?  I have been there that is an overlooked area.  Mine does get sprayed out with a garden hose once a year after a leak that was repaired a few years ago.

On 5/25/2018 at 12:03 AM, Hike, Bitches! said:

anchor locker in works. Adding a tunnel for the chain, and redoing the core with Nomex.

cut up locker lid.jpg

anchor_locker_nomex_trim-to-fit.jpg

Anchor_lid_6-10_gouge_repairs.jpg

Nice.  I did that with plywood and glass when I repainted, but I may go back and add another piece of plywood and glass.  Things on a boat should NOT bend when you step on them.  The main hatch is another culprit of flexing.  Makes you nervous....

We need a cheap vacation this year so we're thinking of cruising up north (Huron and Superior).  So I'm looking at getting the electronics cleaned up and working.  I have an autohelm, a raymarine radar, and a stray raymarine square display that does who-the-hell knows what.  I need to track down the transducers under the boat and figure out what this beast even has.  Coming from a 26 foot racer most instruments are totally superfluous.  If you can't tell how the boat is doing by feel you don't belong on a boat.  But the autohelm and chartplotter are instrumental for long distance cruising.

I'm thinking about doing a tablet for chartplotting.  There are water resistant options.  I'd just need to make a sun-resistant cubby to place it so you can actually see the damn thing in bright sun.  Right now I use my phone as a chartplotter when we go out.

Hey dew, good to hear from you. Just make sure your wires to the running lights haven't failed yet from being jammed up inside the cabin liner. This was the FINAL circuit from the old panel that I've re-wired. I finally re-ran mine after seeing the chafe during the anchor lid work. I ran a new set of wires thru the v-berth and into the anchor locker via daylight I saw in the laminate in the sunlight, and sealed it up with 4200.

I like the panel too..way overkill for our old boats, but big fun. I bet I am probably using about 65% of the breakers now..(I'd have to check..it is nice to separate the circuits at will). Will you be up in Solomons for Screwpile this year?!?!?!

grrr..i am using an iPad for chartplotting in a LifeProof case. It is attached to a spring loaded RAM mount clamp. I usually attach it to one of the companionway handrails..Bright sun is a problem..my bimini has helped a bit. The clamp mount also lets me attach it to one of the main cabin handholds, but you need to be able to see that from the helm position. 

To move forward on that, I have ST40 instruments. I have been researching a ~$100 box that will take old-school SeaTalk and spew it over WiFi along with AIS data and send it to the iPad..I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.  I like having AIS data for the ships and tugs we see on the Chesapeake, but right now that is my phone with the mAIS app.

Here is a link to the unit I am considering. https://www.tindie.com/products/Quarkelec/qk-a027-wireless-aisgps-receiver-with-seatalk/

I still do not mind getting on VHF Ch13 to chat with the pilots. They are usually thankful someone is paying attention to them rumbling up or down the Bay at 15-20 knots and want to chat for a minute.

On 6/8/2018 at 11:14 PM, Hike, Bitches! said:

Hey dew, good to hear from you. Just make sure your wires to the running lights haven't failed yet from being jammed up inside the cabin liner. This was the FINAL circuit from the old panel that I've re-wired. I finally re-ran mine after seeing the chafe during the anchor lid work. I ran a new set of wires thru the v-berth and into the anchor locker via daylight I saw in the laminate in the sunlight, and sealed it up with 4200.

I like the panel too..way overkill for our old boats, but big fun. I bet I am probably using about 65% of the breakers now..(I'd have to check..it is nice to separate the circuits at will). Will you be up in Solomons for Screwpile this year?!?!?!

grrr..i am using an iPad for chartplotting in a LifeProof case. It is attached to a spring loaded RAM mount clamp. I usually attach it to one of the companionway handrails..Bright sun is a problem..my bimini has helped a bit. The clamp mount also lets me attach it to one of the main cabin handholds, but you need to be able to see that from the helm position. 

To move forward on that, I have ST40 instruments. I have been researching a ~$100 box that will take old-school SeaTalk and spew it over WiFi along with AIS data and send it to the iPad..I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.  I like having AIS data for the ships and tugs we see on the Chesapeake, but right now that is my phone with the mAIS app.

Here is a link to the unit I am considering. https://www.tindie.com/products/Quarkelec/qk-a027-wireless-aisgps-receiver-with-seatalk/

I still do not mind getting on VHF Ch13 to chat with the pilots. They are usually thankful someone is paying attention to them rumbling up or down the Bay at 15-20 knots and want to chat for a minute.

I was hoping against hope that the new E-Ink color version of the e-readers were on sale, but we're still a year or two away.  GPS charts don't update the display all that quickly, so the E-ink would be alright for the application, and you can easily read the E-Ink in any type of light, including bright sunlight.  I keep hoping.....

I don't have need of the AIS data here in the Great Lakes, so I just use a stand alone nav app that uses the phone/tablet's internal GPS.

Well..I have managed to get the boat out sailing once in the month of July. Had to take care of a little problem first, though.

The sailing ended up being fabulous. Now, I've been out on OPB's again.

ugh.jpg

That boat's a freighter tadpoles. By Fall, it'll have a bow bulb, lost its keel, and grown to 500' LOA. Nature truly is a wonder.

On 7/27/2018 at 2:55 PM, Hobie Dog said:

WTF is that growing up on your bow???

Hey, I was contributing to the comeback of the quality of the Bay waters with the beginnings of a reef! :D

By growing oysters and barnacles on his hull, he's a mobile filtration system. He sails to the various creeks and tributaries and cleans them up!

It has been three weeks...time to sail and clean her again!

Hey HB - does your companionway ladder have rings of wood around the feet to keep it from moving?  My previous owner appears to have butchered  them and the steps don't stay in place.  I made new rings to screw down but I'm curious what you have there.

Grrr..negative on the wood stuff. I moved my steps to starboard a few inches, to give a little more room in the galley. My steps dead end on the fiberglass floor, with the port foot just missing the access to the stuffing box and landing on the more solid cabin sole. Newer boats have the steps take an angle down to create more foot space in the last 6" or so, but I have the older school straight with no angle steps. That does not change the left or right clearance...just a bit more before you smack the galley with your toes.

Going cruising this weekend, bitches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What are you all up to??!?!?!

I'll be "land yachting" on Chincoteague Island with in-laws.  Last weekend was the mandatory annual visit to the middle of nowhere, North Carolina to visit the parents.

When exactly, did I lose control of how I spend my vacation days?

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

I'll be "land yachting" on Chincoteague Island with in-laws.  Last weekend was the mandatory annual visit to the middle of nowhere, North Carolina to visit the parents.

Stock up on Off - and enjoy the ponies! 

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

Let's see.  A daughter of a friend is getting married tomorrow afternoon and Sunday is an annual fund raising brunch and silent auction for Alzheimer's research that we have helped organize and run since it's inception 6 or 7 years ago.  At least I can look out the window and see that the mast is still standing through the trees.  

I'm headed to Newport in a couple of weeks for 4 days of sailing just to get away from other demands on my time.   

The good ship TA hosted its owners for their first overnight this weekend. The boat was great. The storms on Saturday night kind of sucked, but no problems, and we were hanging out with some other boaters too. Somewhere is a drone picture on the FB..We had 14-15 sailboats and a few powerboats hanging off the ends too.

My adjustable regulator is putting out voltage a bit low...only 13.79v...We ran the motor for about 4 hours this weekend, so I need to tug her against the dock lines and tune that up a bit. 

Bitch, I know.

I tweaked my regulator back to 14.2v. Need some petrol, I have managed to almost burn a full tank of fuel with a few booze cruises and day sails, even though we've only spent one night on the boat.:P

Boat is fully winterized. Now onto winter projects, which include an AIS receiver and GPS/Seatalk/WiFi multiplexer to spit some shit out on my iPad which I use as my chartplotter in the cockpit.

In other news, I have some window leaks (2 of 8 windows) where I've used butyl between the aluminum window frame and the fiberglass. I am considering BoatLife LifeCalk (Polysulfide?) as a replacement at the suggestion of an industry professional. All the windows were rebuilt and rebedded several years ago with butyl, which I am pretty sure I documented here, but these two have been problematic for whatever reason. Mrs. Bitches does NOT like wet interior cushions. This issue is actually higher priority than the Quark QK-A027 multiplexer I am thinking about.

Don't use polysulphide - horrible primitive stuff. It belongs back with red lead and hide glue. It's like a third rate 5200 - sticks as tenaciously but doesn't seal as reliably.

Use Dow 795 or Sika 291.

I've used a lot of 795, particularly for ports and hatch lenses and never had a failure. The parts are removable in future too whereas they almost certainly have to be destroyed to remove if you use polysulphide

Sloop, thanks for the input. Is the Polysulfide like old school 5200 (destroy to remove??)

I used Dow 795 in the plexi to U channel seal. I cut new plexi windows and got rid of the tempered glass back in 2014 or so. Will the 795 cure and seal OK between the alum frame and fiberglass? Also, how hard is it clean up and re-bed? The butyl seals great until is does not, but removal/clean/re-bed is easy...However, it is winter now and I have other things to do than re-seal a bunch of damn windows (one of those two leakers I just re-did in 2017).

It cleans up reasonably easily - has to be scraped IIRC (I haven't had to re-do it much). I never had a problem with any substrate. Make sure you abrade any fiberglass - don't try to seal to smooth glossy gel-coat.

Biggest thing is to use enough and don't squeeze it all out when you fit the port - it's an adhesive as well as a sealant so just squish it enough to ensure a full seal and then leave it alone to cure. I held a hatch lens in place with masking tape, not clamps. You don't have to have everything filled on the first go, you can mask and back fill any seams later - just ensure there is an unbroken seal on the first go round.

Ok, cool, thanks. The fiberglass where the windows are have been painted with AlexSeal two-part epoxy..it is a very hard finish. The outside frames get sucked into the fiberglass via sheet metal screws on the inside trim ring...this is an old school Catalina 30...nothing exciting, and I am not blasting downwind at 15-20 knots..just trying to keep the rain out at the dock.

Don't fully tighten the screws until the goo has cured - this is one instance where Don Casey's "gasket" principle actually works well. Just tighten them until you get good squeezeout and then let it cure. Then go back and tighten fully.

Oh, wipe all mating surfaces with alcohol and let it flash off before laying the goo down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Don't fully tighten the screws until the goo has cured - this is one instance where Don Casey's "gasket" principle actually works well. Just tighten them until you get good squeezeout and then let it cure. Then go back and tighten fully.

Oh, wipe all mating surfaces with alcohol and let it flash off before laying the goo down.

+1

Also sand all mating surfaces before bonding.

• Like 1

HB, I just got a QK-A027.  Got a crappy miniature VHF whip, a cheap puck GPS which got signal INSIDE my concrete home within a minute, and am hoping to get the seatalk data from my raymarine I40 bidata on to the wifi signal and AIS to an Android phone.  So far got GPS data to opencpn through the wifi on my win10 notebook.  Negatory on opencpn android or Navionics of course.  Will have to drag the setup in my car a few kms to test receive near the large port we have to see if it receives and spits out AIS to opencpn.

Wish Navionics would support AIS from wifi....

Cool little Gizmo for the price, at least so far.

nlma, thanks for the report...Mrs. Bitches has still not indicated the unit has shipped. :huh:

There might be another update. I know it is June and I have the boat on the hard. I only planned to do bottom paint. :huh::blink:

Almost 10 years later, I finally got around to fixing up the topsides.

I am down to details, like the exhaust/bilge/vent thru-hulls and running light re-install now. My vinyl guy came by and should have the name back on soon as well.

fill_n_fair2.jpg

port_side_final_topcoat.jpg

port_side_complete.jpg

cove-stripe-port.jpg

• Like 4

Very nice job. Congrats on the "new" boat!

As IStream said, damn HB, nice job!  How about some details?  Did you do it yourself?  Spray?  roll and tip?  what paint?  etc, etc.

He has a very early C-30. I keep telling him to send Catalina some photos of everything he's done.  It's one of the earliest hulls in prime condition.

• Like 1

I did it myself (mostly)...roll & tip..I did have a buddy come help me tip it out one day on the port side..it was appreciated, but I was able to achieve the same results on stbd without help. I used Alexseal. I did not use their high build primer early on, but I should have..this resulted in an extra application of finish primer to be satisfied I was ready for topcoat. 

Patch & sand gouges with West System & 407/410. Sand all that shit by hand, and then sand whole boat to 220 with 5" DA. I should have done the 302 high build primer at this stage. 

Four coats of Alexseal 442 finish primer (once, I beat the timeframe in their TDS and was able to get a 2nd coat on without sanding to get some film build up), but sanded to 320 on first two, and to 400 on last two.

Three coats of Alexseal 501 Pearl Grey Topcoat, sanded to 400 on the DA in between each coat.

I did four coats on the Flag Blue stripes, and did 400 grit on the DA for the first two, and went to 600 grit by hand for the last two coats.

You can see flaws at 5 feet..mostly the 'seams' where you reload the roller. There is a VERY fine line between too much paint and runs, and too little paint and "print through"... There is also a VERY fine line on how much to thin the paint because it won't flow out, but if you thin it too much you are constantly looking back to see if it is running down the side of the boat! I was at ~50% reduction on the final stages of the stripes. 45% reduction showed brush marks, which you can see in the hull..I got better with the stripes, although they still are not perfect.

For a 40+ year old sailboat, I am happy, but this painting shit is definitely an art. So, the whole boat got sanded seven times, and some parts, like the boot & cove stripes, more than that.

final_bow_shot.jpg

11 minutes ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

You can see flaws at 5 feet.

final_bow_shot.jpg

Early on I was taught that a boat should look good from 10 feet away.

You made it.

Looks good.

• Like 1

This part of the process was pretty satisfying..it was trying to rain and be shitty so the pic isn't very good, but that is how it goes, right?

Final_tape_pull.jpg

• Like 1

@Hike, Bitches! I'm sailing down your way the week of July 4th. I'm sure the boat will be in the water by then but I want to see it up close.

At some point, I'm going to have to re-paint my boat. The Awlgrip is at least 20 years old, has lots of chips and scratches.

Alexseal is good stuff. I've been able to touch up our black topsides and have it turn out quite well. Can't do that with Awlgrip.

13 hours ago, monsoon said:

Alexseal is good stuff. I've been able to touch up our black topsides and have it turn out quite well. Can't do that with Awlgrip.

Thanks for the feedback, and another reason I picked Alexseal. I practiced along the way with some test touch up/repairs as I was doing topcoat that I knew I could sand out before the next coat. I need to keep refining my technique, but I can see it happening if I get it right.

15 hours ago, Ajax said:

@Hike, Bitches! I'm sailing down your way the week of July 4th. I'm sure the boat will be in the water by then but I want to see it up close.

At some point, I'm going to have to re-paint my boat. The Awlgrip is at least 20 years old, has lots of chips and scratches.

Roger that Ajax. We plan to be around for 4 July.  I think if you prepare the Awlgrip correctly, you can even paint over it with Alexseal...but you'll still need to sand and do 442 finish primer to seal the hull for 501 topcoat. If you decided to keep the green, I would use the grey primer...(Alexseal has white and grey primer.) Let's chat before you buy anything..I may have a few bits and pieces I will never use that are still sealed that may save you a few cases of beer.

It is only 146 pages, but if you pick Alexseal, all of the details are here:  https://www.alexseal.com/docs/general/appguide/assets/assets/common/downloads/publication.pdf

• Like 1

fucking off today. yeah, I have power boat friends.

TA_floating1.jpg

• Like 2

In honor of your splashing, this former Marylander offers you a tribute:

• Like 3

22 hours ago, IStream said:

Is that blue thing a floating grill? 

No, it is a lounger with a couple cup holders.

1 hour ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

No, it is a lounger with a couple cup holders.

That was rhetorical. The only appropriate answer is "yes".

Sorry..too many paint fumes over the last several weeks maybe! B)

I finally got a chance to check out the video...nice!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I like the 9:30 club shirt on the old guy too..who is probably my age.:o:P

Check it, Bitches. Now I need to do the deck to match the topsides...

from_another_boat.jpg

Happy Birthday, Bitches!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

Check it, Bitches. Now I need to do the deck to match the topsides...

from_another_boat.jpg

Indeed - can't have an old deck on a new hull.

P.S. hit that rubrail with MEK and then Vinyl conditioner - those black marks will disappear and it will look almost as new as your hull.

SJB, thanks for the tip...I'll try that. I also was thinking about replacing the whole thing from Catalina Direct...the alum. is looking a bit torn up in places also, but I will certainly clean it up to start.

Wear chemical resistant gloves and stay upwind - it has a nasty, ammoniac quality.

A clean rag just moistened with it and a bit of scrubbing is all that's needed - it will soften the vinyl for a couple of minutes which helps to blend scratches but it quickly hardens up again, at which point the conditioner goes on.

• Like 1

better be careful with such a nice paint job someone is going to make you an offer you can not refuse. I did our 30 last year not nearly as nice as that job, but still got compliments everywhere we went.  Is someone else boat now.  Just brought our C34 home last weekend.  The A4 was great, pretty sold on the Yanmar thus far.

How was Screwpile weather was painful, such as great drinking and sailing town, I mean sailing and drinking town! 

Screwpile was HOT. The sailing was good on Saturday and Monday though...RC did shore delays until the seabreeze filled in. 

Congrats on the new boat, dew!

This pic is a couple months old, but we did actually go sailing a few times, and even had some bitches who took some pictures as they went by in their power boat. Go the hanks! (but I am ready for a furler!)

under_sail1.jpg

under_sail2.jpg

• Like 3

Breathing some new life into the old girl, that is for sure. B)

Well, I spent the weekend rebuilding the exhaust. Huh.  Can't upload the picture.  Just gives an error.

Also finally got around to buffing the overspray paint from the windows.

Anyway, my wife wants a center pedestal table like the newer models have.  What kind of reinforcement does It require?  I'm not sure if the floor is strong enough to screw directly to, so I'm wondering if I'll need to cut a square of the floor out and then glass directly to the hull.

20200531_161923.jpg

I don't see a mixer on the exhaust???

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

I don't see a mixer on the exhaust???

The hot water from the motor leaves in the black hose you can see, goes up to a siphon break you can't see, then comes down and will connect to the hose nipple you see right under the wood piece.  I was lazy and didn't plug it in today.

• Like 1