Hike, Bitches!

HB's 'new' boat thread

3 hours ago, Grrr... said:

Untitled.jpg.b8983907bfe7314aaec3ee8e189540eb.jpg

All up, it cost me around $45 per 20 foot stick of stainless and it took me 4 sticks.  $600 for the bender and 6 foot dies, and probably $400 for the stainless fittings $600 for the roller.  $1600 for the sail/canvas sewing machine to make the cover.  Was originally quoted $10k for Bimini + dodger.  Figure I'm coming out WAY ahead, and I've already used the sewing machine to resew the sun cover on the genoa, and we're going to be making a grill cover and a sail pack.  The grill cover isn't a vanity thing - we found the rain follows the grill contours and ends up in the grease drip tray, and that in turn ends up covering our boat in bacon and hamburger flavor.

On second though, maybe that's a feature of the grill.

All up, we're going to save $5k on the bimini/dodger, and another $2 - $3k on the sail pack and dinghy chaps.

Davits are in the boat ready to be installed, then I have to find a way to severely reinforce the stern pulpit.  It's much too wiggly.

Wow, that's awesome!  You can further defray the costs with the occasional canvas job for select buddies.  Even if you don't want to sew canvas, you can help friends bend their own tubing that they buy for their boats.

Not at this point.  With it getting cooler outside the biminey is temporarily on hold.  We brought our new Highfield dinghy into the living room and are making a set of chaps to protect the vinyl from the sun.

https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Make-Dinghy-Chaps-Video

We are about half way through but kind of stalled with a bunch of elder care related health issues.

The bender is a joy to use though and we've made some hand holds and other things we needed.

I've got new instruments for the boat but I'm holding off starting work on a pod for them until we get the other projects done.

Likewise we have dinghy davits ready to go on.... But with winter coming that's waiting too.

45 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Not at this point.  With it getting cooler outside the biminey is temporarily on hold.  We brought our new Highfield dinghy into the living room and are making a set of chaps to protect the vinyl from the sun.

https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Make-Dinghy-Chaps-Video

We are about half way through but kind of stalled with a bunch of elder care related health issues.

The bender is a joy to use though and we've made some hand holds and other things we needed.

I've got new instruments for the boat but I'm holding off starting work on a pod for them until we get the other projects done.

Likewise we have dinghy davits ready to go on.... But with winter coming that's waiting too.

LOL...you're on the Great Lakes and you're worried about UV on the dinghy?  Are you planning to eventually head off to the Caribbean?

Well, there's certainly no harm in making chaps. :)

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

LOL...you're on the Great Lakes and you're worried about UV on the dinghy?  Are you planning to eventually head off to the Caribbean?

Well, there's certainly no harm in making chaps. :)

We are 9 years from retirement, and my plan is to spend a year cruising key west and the Caribbean once that happens. We are getting things ready now.

• Like 1

Well, since this is my thread...here is my update. Slapped a tarp on the cabin house during the recent deluge of 5" while Eta and its remnants passed by. Boat is totally dry on the inside now, when it was not before...so I need to repair/rebed the seahood. The tarp is easy to remove and putz around the harbor...saw LYNX tied up in Solomons today. My plan is the tarp will keep the boat dry while I have the seahood home for repair. I will also likely put a boom tent over the boom too after I remove the mainsail..I am slow and lazy...it will take me a couple months to do the fiberglass work.

hatch_tarp2.jpg

lynx.jpg

• Like 1