Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shanghaisailor

CHINA CLUB CHALLENGE MATCH

I set this to the SA Editor - he said thanks - then BURIED it - Reporting on movie instead

The China Club Challenge Match (CCCM) elimination series was held during the Chinese National Day Holiday in Xiamen. Ten teams attended the event which was the first part of the process to select a challenger to meet current holders, Hansheng.

On the China Cup website they claim that their event is like the America’s Cup- wrong! Theirs is only fleet racing. The CCCM however consists of 2 fleet racing ‘Acts’ which whittled the 10 teams to 6 and then 3. The three finalists will be back in November for a round robin match racing ‘Act’ followed by the final against Hansheng.

Sailing for non-vocational sailors is relatively young in China and in big boats even younger but the racing in Flying Tiger 10’s lent by local owners (Xiamen has a fleet of 10) was fiercely competitive with the on the water umpires having some busy days with the red flag much in evidence but with a strong pre-race briefing by the PRO and umpire about avoiding contact meant there was only few minor actual contacts that were more in the touch category than actual collisions.

For those who haven’t sailed in Xiamen, and I would imagine that is most of Anarchy’s readers, the area usually delivers up champagne sailing, bright skies, good breeze with a big sea breeze effect almost guaranteed, no heavy sailing jackets and a good strong, but not crazy, tide for good measure.

During the week this tide was to catch many out resulting in frequent late tacks when approaching the weather mark and more than one or two 360’s with two teams attempting to sail off with the mark when they hooked the mooring line with their rudder. The FT10’s lifting rudder however meant they didn’t become a permanent fixing.

The teams were split into 2 flights of 5 with the top 3 from each after 7 races progressing to a second series of 6 races. This meant, including a practice race for each flight, that over the 5 days of competition that the race committee got 22 races off.

The PRO was Olympic experienced, and umpires followed the fleet through every race avoiding what could have been long evenings in the ‘room’.

On day one I raised the red flag 10 times which although out of 6 races wasn’t excessive. Day 2 briefing involved a ‘talking to’ about the rules especially around the committee boat end of the start line and the umpires had much less trade for the next couple of days of ‘Act 1’.

The first flight appeared to be more competitive with, at times, photos of the fleet approaching the finish line being mistaken for those of them approaching the start line and time differences of under 2 minutes from first to last boat not being uncommon.

So this was proved when in Act 2, the top three boats in the competition ALL came from that first flight.

The wind was very soft in the first race of the second act resulting in 3 boats scoring a fleet +1 for being outside the time limit. This left the fancied team from Shanghai Boat & Yacht Club (SBYC) with it all to do. Their neighbours, Shanghai Saimeng Water Sports Club (SSWSC) sailed consistently well, especially in a straight line and were only let down by the corners. Local team, Xiamen Wu Yuan Wan SC (XWYWSC) generally did both the straight line bit and the corners well.

They did have one aberration though. At one top mark they tacked far too close to SSWSC causing a large course alteration by the later to avoid contact. They spun into their penalty right after the mark, resulting in boats having to go this way and that to avoid them turning their 720 into a 1440 – you don’t see them very often.

Halfway through the act SBYC seemed to change gear – or tactician or something and finished the series with 2 bullets pulling them right through the fleet to finish just behind the local team.

Final scores were ;

Xiamen Wu Yuan Wan Sailing Club 8

Shanghai Boat & Yacht Club 10

Shanghai Saimeng Water Sports Club 18

That means these three teams will be back in November to do battle for the right to challenge Hansheng Yachts, the works team if you like, for the 2008 China Club Challenge Match. e premiers instead

I set this to the SA Editor - he said thanks - then BURIED it - Reporting on movie instead

The China Club Challenge Match (CCCM) elimination series was held during the Chinese National Day Holiday in Xiamen. Ten teams attended the event which was the first part of the process to select a challenger to meet current holders, Hansheng.

On the China Cup website they claim that their event is like the America’s Cup- wrong! Theirs is only fleet racing. The CCCM however consists of 2 fleet racing ‘Acts’ which whittled the 10 teams to 6 and then 3. The three finalists will be back in November for a round robin match racing ‘Act’ followed by the final against Hansheng.

Sailing for non-vocational sailors is relatively young in China and in big boats even younger but the racing in Flying Tiger 10’s lent by local owners (Xiamen has a fleet of 10) was fiercely competitive with the on the water umpires having some busy days with the red flag much in evidence but with a strong pre-race briefing by the PRO and umpire about avoiding contact meant there was only few minor actual contacts that were more in the touch category than actual collisions.

For those who haven’t sailed in Xiamen, and I would imagine that is most of Anarchy’s readers, the area usually delivers up champagne sailing, bright skies, good breeze with a big sea breeze effect almost guaranteed, no heavy sailing jackets and a good strong, but not crazy, tide for good measure.

During the week this tide was to catch many out resulting in frequent late tacks when approaching the weather mark and more than one or two 360’s with two teams attempting to sail off with the mark when they hooked the mooring line with their rudder. The FT10’s lifting rudder however meant they didn’t become a permanent fixing.

The teams were split into 2 flights of 5 with the top 3 from each after 7 races progressing to a second series of 6 races. This meant, including a practice race for each flight, that over the 5 days of competition that the race committee got 22 races off.

The PRO was Olympic experienced, and umpires followed the fleet through every race avoiding what could have been long evenings in the ‘room’.

On day one I raised the red flag 10 times which although out of 6 races wasn’t excessive. Day 2 briefing involved a ‘talking to’ about the rules especially around the committee boat end of the start line and the umpires had much less trade for the next couple of days of ‘Act 1’.

The first flight appeared to be more competitive with, at times, photos of the fleet approaching the finish line being mistaken for those of them approaching the start line and time differences of under 2 minutes from first to last boat not being uncommon.

So this was proved when in Act 2, the top three boats in the competition ALL came from that first flight.

The wind was very soft in the first race of the second act resulting in 3 boats scoring a fleet +1 for being outside the time limit. This left the fancied team from Shanghai Boat & Yacht Club (SBYC) with it all to do. Their neighbours, Shanghai Saimeng Water Sports Club (SSWSC) sailed consistently well, especially in a straight line and were only let down by the corners. Local team, Xiamen Wu Yuan Wan SC (XWYWSC) generally did both the straight line bit and the corners well.

They did have one aberration though. At one top mark they tacked far too close to SSWSC causing a large course alteration by the later to avoid contact. They spun into their penalty right after the mark, resulting in boats having to go this way and that to avoid them turning their 720 into a 1440 – you don’t see them very often.

Halfway through the act SBYC seemed to change gear – or tactician or something and finished the series with 2 bullets pulling them right through the fleet to finish just behind the local team.

Final scores were ;

Xiamen Wu Yuan Wan Sailing Club 8

Shanghai Boat & Yacht Club 10

Shanghai Saimeng Water Sports Club 18

That means these three teams will be back in November to do battle for the right to challenge Hansheng Yachts, the works team if you like, for the 2008 China Club Challenge Match. e premiers instead

i didn't bury anything, just frankly have not gotten to it. Looks like you did though.

Shanghaisailor,

I sent you a PM I am here in Shanghai for 5 months. If there is any other sailing that comes up please let me know. I've only been here two weeks and I'm already missing the water. Congradualations on qualifying. Its been a few years but I am very familiar with match and team racing so maybe I could be of some help.

Fan

was hoping to get over for this to see what was going on but best laid plans eh? looked a lot of fun as a fledgling event and already have some interest for next year from mates in hkg for something different!

are you doing the finals at the same time as the J boats invitational in xiamen...whatever that is?

Cheers

Sorry Scott, guess I need to be more patient next time, just thought a 10 team regatta in a country where big boat racing didn't exisit 8 years ago was more anarchical than a movie premiere :rolleyes::(

Sorry Scott, guess I need to be more patient next time, just thought a 10 team regatta in a country where big boat racing didn't exisit 8 years ago was more anarchical than a movie premiere :rolleyes::(

... and how to spell folks' names.

How to win friends and influence people.

;)

Great report, by the way.

:P

The report did make it into Scuttlebutt Europe :D