Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ghsail

Special Delivery

The ultimate lazy mans load.

A lot of faith in the fiberglass capper.

I hope their using the flagpole as the rig, the SA/displacement ratio will be unbelievable.

And it even comes with it's own crash boat.

Geeze Gregg!

You could probably sell the video with all the crazy looks people give you as your trucking down the road.

Geeze Gregg!

You could probably sell the video with all the crazy looks people give you as your trucking down the road.

If only it was mine! I tow mine the old fashioned way, but in luxury with my 2007 Lincoln Mark LT 2007-Lincoln-Mark-LT-Luxury-Pickup-B-full.jpeg

That's a pretty cool shot!

Imagine what that would feel like if you got say... a 15-20 kt puff from the side while driving down the freeway!

i recognize the truck

i am not surprised

onedesignj80 is the culprit

i recognize the truck

i am not surprised

onedesignj80 is the culprit

Wait is that the same truck that had a star boat on top a while back?

that's quite the Turbo U20 w/ that rig....... :lol:

Hard to believe that turbo rig only weighs 21 lbs ;)

Doesn't exactly look like a display of overly competent brainfunction.

a certain synergy then, with SBA ........... ( wot's an SB, wheres the backstay, why don't my boat go with less crew )

or SA generally

Oh bugger.

LowBridge.jpg

(I know someone who caused several £1000s of damage when a dinghy mast on the top of his truck cut through a petrol (gas) station roof when his was filling up. His boat insurance asked for the "state of wind and tide at the time of the incident" and he wasn't sure how to answer!)

there was a shot of a yngling on top of a truck a while back as well. Not (really) that big of a deal, but you do have to wonder about where they're going to crane the rig off the roof at the other end. And hope they have a truckers atlas with bridge heights....

That's the rig of Rick Peters ( starboatguy@aol.com ). He's has a professional boat delivery business. That is no ordinary truck, it's has extra suspension and has a welded steel support cage built into the shell to take the load on top directly to the chassis.

All the pics you seen before like this, Yngling, star's on top of a pick-up is one of Rick Peters trucks. He has driven more miles like this than most will ever drive in a lifetime and he's very good at it. I was extremely impressed with his door to door service when he delivered my boat to R.I.. He's also a world class Star crew.

Here's another link/picture: http://www.sailkarma.com/2008/04/top-heavy...t=1209400560000

Anyone have experience with putting a boat on top of an enclosed trailer like an interstate? How about just a rack for masts? Looks like the trailer behind Ricks (showing the Beijing campaign) has a rack....

Yep. That's Rick. Great guy and really knows what he's doing. He puts Star boats on the top all of the time. We actually drove that truck for week when he delivered our boat (no, not on top) to a regatta. That thing is a totally custom boat delivery machine. Top speed in first gear is like 8 mph.

Was the picture taken on US 15 North of Salt Lake City?

Looks like Route 80, West of Salt Lake just South of the Great Salt Lake. He could have dropped off that U20 in the GSL fleet! He was only 1/2 mile away at that point.

Anyone have experience with putting a boat on top of an enclosed trailer like an interstate? How about just a rack for masts? Looks like the trailer behind Ricks (showing the Beijing campaign) has a rack....

You can put a boat on top of an enclosed trailer but you need to have purchased the right trailer with a loadable roof. Most of the trailers don't have a roof strong enough to hold anything but it can be purchased as an option when you buy your trailer. I think it's called a "walk on" roof or something like that. If it's just spars, the roof is plenty strong.

Pretty amazing. What else is that on top of the U20 on the roof?

1st gear in those trucks is many times not used because of the gearing. I towed roughly 6000lbs with one and didn't use 1st gear because it wouldn't go anywhere fast enough.

I know that U20... she just spent the summer at our club. Had heard a rumor she had an interesting ride, great to finally see the photo. Hope she does as well on the westcoast as she did here.

I helped Rick with some of the fab work on the rig in question.

Problems arise when people try to add a rack to the truck bed, with these setups the truck bed will not tolerate the loading and quickly become sacked out.

with Ricks truck we cut thru the bed and mounted directly to the frame. This rack discreetly follows the shell inside. Four, half inch thick steel plates sandwich the external cross bars which are removable. We did have to core his shell to facilitate the occasional walking, and created custom flats for the steel plate to nest to.

Ricks innovations, are many. As this is I believe his third version of hauler. When working with Rick on any project, there's a certain amount of stand back involved. I learned a bunch from him.

It does tickle me to read some of the posts, Rick does make it look simple. it is not.

Brownie

Was the picture taken on US 15 North of Salt Lake City?

Looks like Route 80, West of Salt Lake just South of the Great Salt Lake. He could have dropped off that U20 in the GSL fleet! He was only 1/2 mile away at that point.

Exactly, took them at the viewing area on I-80 westbound, around mile marker 100, just past the marina. Utah is one of my favorite states and I would like to go sailing on the GSL.

any pics of loading and unloading?

post-32970-1225517942_thumb.jpg

1st gear in those trucks is many times not used because of the gearing. I towed roughly 6000lbs with one and didn't use 1st gear because it wouldn't go anywhere fast enough.

It's an unstayed Wylecat 33 mast which is 46' long. 1st gear is not normally used, except when you tow stuff like this!

post-32970-1225518681_thumb.jpg

That's a serious looking RIB on the triple axle trailer, what is it?

Protector Haruaki - 40' RIB http://www.protectorboats.com/boats-rec/hauraki/

p_40ft-1.jpg

Protector boats are cool - expensive - but cool. Friend of mine has I think two of them....very friendly around sailboats with the inflatable tubes.

WWing

It's an unstayed Wylecat 33 mast which is 46' long. 1st gear is not normally used, except when you tow stuff like this!

There's some serious bend in that trailer. :huh: