Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

Day 2 - Defend Yoda Will?

Getting an early start on this one - with some surprises for you.

For the front page.

The Force Is Strong With This One

We didn't see the bone-jarring waves of Santa Cruz or the sheer force of a full-on Norther in Key West, but today Annapolis doled out some of the toughest conditions that anyone's seen in the Melges 24. The wind was shifty and gusty, with breeze from 15-25 knots – but that wasn't what made it so hard. No – it was the cold that did it. Frozen fingers don't trim, hoist, douse, or steer well, and with temps in the 40s all day, almost every team came off the water in some shade of blue. We saw Brian Janney a few hours after racing when we dropped off a sail at the Quantum loft here in Annapolis (North'd doors were closed btw), and he was still rubbing his hands. “I am just now starting to get the feeling back,” he said.

Meanwhile, in truly trying conditions for any driver, the old, wizened Yoda (a/k/a Dave Ullman) legged out to a strong lead after the first day of racing at the 2008 Melges 24 North American Championship. Ullman showed his usual speed in the breeze, but more importantly, he showed an almost uncanny ability to pass big packs of boats to finish with a sweet 1,3,3 scoreline. On two of those races, Dave had a weak start – but it just didn't seem to matter.

Also with Ullman, the aforementioned Quantum Racing had a strong and consistent day, while Flavio Favini on Blu Moon and Gabrio Zandona on Joe Fly bracket Hutchinson in the standings in the 2 and 4 spot. The Italians treated the spectators to a thrilling battle the entire third race, rounding stern-to-bow at every mark – and note that Ullman Sails have a 1-2 so far, with Quantum just behind (on a tiebreaker at the moment). The days of North Sails dominating the Melges 24 class are clearly over.

At 6th place, Brian Porter's Full Throttle is about where we expected, while Bruce Ayres is showing huge confidence with his new boat, blazing across the course despite significantly less practice time than many of the top teams – and he's sitting fifth.

In the Corinthian fleet, Othmar Von Blumencron's Gannet is the only team that can keep pace with the top ten, and his local knowledge is working well for him – if he hadn't overstood a couple of upwind laylines, he'd be sitting even stronger, but still, Othmar is in 13th, 1st Corinthian. Reggie Fairchild's Wireless/OSA Sailing is sailing without her owner, but either Brian Boyd or David Dabney – we're not sure who – is driving her well, in second Corinthian spot, just where the boat finished at Nationals.

Big surprises? Henry Filter (Wild Child) and John Kolius (KO Sailing) are buried deep, while strong Corinthian sailor (and one of the guys who made this event happen) Bill Carleton on Tiburon is farther back than he's been in ages. Both Alan Field and Simon Strauss are in the mid teens, also further back than these top-tier programs probably belong. Stu McNay looks composed and fast out there, while Kristen Lane is showing that her strong finishes this summer were no fluke – this is truly a talented driver and she's really coming into her own. You can see the full results here.

Today's OTW report has attracted well over 12,000 views in just 12 hours or so. This is unprecedented for a one-design event – our Nationals coverage last year saw something like 4000 each day, and Worlds saw 5-7000, and we're both amazed and incredibly grateful for all of you who've tuned in to watch, and participate in, the best damned live coverage of this kind of racing that's ever existed. Keep sending the links to your racing friends, and we'll keep pushing the boundaries on what we can get you, and how fast we can get it to you. Please remember to show your gratitude to our sponsors – Tom Weaver's Eastport 32, which is – by far – the best spectating boat that we've ever had the pleasure to be on; George and the Coral Reef Sailing Apparel folks, who may just have a couple of nice giveaways for you tomorrow or Friday, and Latis Yachting Solutions, the most reliable, fully insured and DOT licensed, racing yacht delivery company there is.

Remember something – if you have a great idea for our coverage, let us know and we'll see if we can make it happen. We also have some space on our boat Thursday and Friday for an Anarchist that wants to do some typing and drinking, so PM me if you think you can help out.

We're gonna get some sleep so we can be fresh in the morning. Unless someone comes by with a better idea. Wait a second - there's a knocking on the door right now...

10/30/2008

ullman.jpg

We've given you guys the ability to upload pictures to this forum - we did that so that Born2Sail and others could help us with weather graphics etc. - but please don't abuse it. So far, the forum as been running like a freight train, probably thanks to you guys limited your "pages per view" option. Thanks for it.

In the meantime, here's a great, exclusive forecast from our own DryArmour:

As of 0645 Local time in Annapolis, MD temperatures are in the high 30s and low 40s across the Chesapeake district. The cold front that brought puffy and blustery conditions to the M-24 race course on Wednesday has migrated out into the Atlantic but some winds on the back side of the front will remain in place through late morning/early afternoon. A Small Craft Advisory remains in place for the Chesapeake but winds are already winding down at all observation stations as surface pressures are on the rapid rise. Expect winds between 8 and 16 knots early and then diminishing to around 9 knots this afternoon. Wind directions vary from 270-330 but a general slow right shift appears likely through the day.

The big story will be the low temperatures today and tonight through tomorrow. The coldest night of the season so far on on tap for tonight as a freeze warning will likely be issued for all areas. Combine the cold air with modest winds and the wind chill will remain in the high 30s and low 40s for most of the day. Water temps varied but are in the 50s in most parts of the upper bay.

BTW- The boat called Misfits: http://campbellsailing.com/

Pretty good writing on Andrew Campbell's blog:

MOB Drill in Annapolis this Weekend

October 19th, 2008 in General.

This weekend autumn finally caught up with us on the east coast. We were racing in Annapolis at the Eastport Yacht Club on Saturday and practicing Sunday with Stu McNay’s new (to him) Melges 24. We sailed with US Sailing team members Dave Hughes and Brian Boyd as well as former Georgetown women’s team captain Jackie Schmitz covering pit. All in a given weekend, we had good tacks and bad tacks, good sets bad sets, we hooked a crab-pot so badly that we had to douse the spinnaker, go head to wind, and back down to get the darn thing off, we even saved a guy. No joke, we actually saved a J80 sailor’s life. The breeze was up in the teens, and the first cool dry air of this fall made for some blustery and chilly conditions. The J80 fleet had finished ahead of us and we were just pulling the spinnaker down after the finish when we saw something in the water just ahead. I could barely get the words out to Stu before we almost ran over the guy, “Turn right! There’s a guy in the water!” Somehow one of the J80’s had lost a man overboard. As we luckily missed him we understood very quickly that he was in trouble. “Help me!,” he screamed as we slid past still in the process of taking the chute down only fifteen seconds after finishing the race. We realized that the J80s were circling unsuccessfully to pick the guy up and we immediately jibed onto port and tacked back towards the target. It couldn’t have been more than twenty more seconds after we went past that we had him along side and he clawed onto Dave Hughes’ arms on the mid-bow. We handed him off to the low-scoop transom of the Melges 24 and hauled him aboard. After a cursory scan for bleeding we asked the guy’s name: “Jim.” That’s all he said for the next ten minutes. I made sure to keep a hand on him in case he keeled over. The guy was shaking, not so much from the cold as from shock. The water was nearly 65 degrees, but we had no idea how long he’d been in the water, and without a lifejacket and in full foul weather gear, there was no doubt Jim had been in the water far too long for his comfort. Judging by how heavy he and his water-logged gear was when we pulled him aboard, I’m not sure he would have been able to swim much longer. We offered him some gatorade and another jacket and then waved the mark-set boat over to us. We couldn’t figure out why that boat hadn’t picked him up until they tried to make a landing on the Melges 24. We finally came side by side the whaler and helped Jim off our boat onto the committee boat, with instructions to take him directly to the dock. We sailed by Jim’s boat “Puffinator” and informed them that the guy was clearly in shock and possibly hypothermia and that we’d told the committee boat to take him in. Not entirely sure they’d understood, they sailed off towards the dock and about a minute later, just long enough for us to figure out what had just happened, much less ready us for the next race, the five minute gun went off and we were back racing.

I guess, if Jim or anybody from the Eastport YC is reading this, Stu, Brian, Dave, Jackie and I are curious to make sure that Jim’s alright. We never saw the boat when we got back to the dock. I just hope the guy gets a decent life jacket for next time he goes out racing. Who are we to say, but I’m not sure that the guy would have been picked up had we not nearly run him over and then spun round to get him. All of us and sailors in general should be a bit better trained in our MOB drills and have a protocol in terms of throwing a life-jacket and then getting into a position for pickup as fast as possible. I never thought that a weekend racing series would demand that kind of seamanship, but I’m glad that Stu and the rest of our team had the wherewithal to recognize what was happening then the skill to get back and get a hold of him in such short order.

More to come from this weekend and how the racing actually went. Hopefully we hear something from Jim and we’ll be able to get back to you about his impressions.

Then this: The first day of Melges 24 NA’s started today in Annapolis. The wind was up and the temps were down, 25+ knots and less than 50 degrees for most of the day. Drysuits were prevalent across the board. Sailing with Vincent Porter on the helm, Gabe Jostrom on spinnaker and jib, and Jackie Schmitz and Kate Chaney on the bow we had a baptism by fire today. We managed a great day barring being knocked down before the start during our first hour of sailing together. Vincent picked up the groove quickly with the boat upwind, and the downwinds were ripping. Here’s a classic clip of our firs t mark rounding with Chris Larson, Morgan Larson, and Terry Hutchinson. The commentator asks: “Who are those guys in Missfitz?” That’s us!

We’re making moves tomorrow. We’re tenth after today.

We won't miss you today, Campbell.

Despite the bashing I've been delivering to the idiot that runs Sailgroove, here's a pretty decent highlight reel from Chris "man" Love, shooting from, I think, a Whaler. That's gotta suck!

Check out the blue boat with the Anarchy flag in his shots - that's us, and thank god we weren't stuck in some whaler.

Too bad he can't pronounce the name of the boat correctly - it's not mel"j"ess - the g is hard just like it sounds in the word guess.

Got busted yesterday by the boss....Funny thing is 'she' came over and started watching everything with me!!!

Best coverage/photos on the water....PERIOD!!! keep it up Clean and Mer.

Great coverage of the racing. I know a lot of the folks in the area putting this regatta on and EYC really has a great and dedicated group of folks who support sailing/racing in Annapolis. Jeff is top notch and the EYC folks supporting the regatta are second to none. Hand out with the R/C after racing and you will see what a great group of people they are (Sparky, Tom, Bill, the list goes on and on).

Despite the bashing I've been delivering to the idiot that runs Sailgroove, here's a pretty decent highlight reel from Chris "man" Love, shooting from, I think, a Whaler. That's gotta suck!

Check out the blue boat with the Anarchy flag in his shots - that's us, and thank god we weren't stuck in some whaler.

Is that Johnny Utah from Point Break commentating?

"I Think we're gonna get an 'all clear' here" .... BRAU!!

Sun is beating down already, and there ain't much breeze here on my porch. I dove 7 boats this morning, and only after getting out of the water did I realize that I never zipped up my wetsuit. No wonder my balls disappeared!

Miss you, Chuckie bro - where da fuck you at?

Great article on the front page, Clean. BTW, it's David Dabney driving wireless with Bryan on tactics. Keep up the good work and thanks.

SN

Cheers SN.

Couple of things for y'all to chew on.

1) Please continue to do the great job you are all doing with augmenting this report with your own info and input. If you see something else on the web that's pertinent, post it. If you have something about a competitor, post it. If you have wind speeds or something else from a buoy, post it. Hell, if you take a pic of the boats while youre crossing the bay bridge, post it.

2) Go to "my controls" and then "board settings" and set your max posts per page to 25.

3) Feel free to do what you want with Mer's pics. If you're posting them on a site, credit her with Meredith Block/Blocksail.com like these guys did here. If you want to use them on your commercial site or in a publication, get in touch with us so we can arrange a fair licensing fee.

4) If you're not registered, you can't see the picture posts and thumbnails - just the filenames. That blows, and makes the report far less than it can be for you. Register now.

5) Enjoy!

I like the props the Q boys are getting they are busting ass this season. don't forget nix and dieball and some of the guys took an M24 regatta earlier so I would put my money in the ZHIK boat!

Clean, thanks for all the photos and info! SOunds cold. Good of you to load that other guy's video. I thought it was pretty good, wider screen, seemed really clear.

If you get a chance, tell Bear everyone from Tawas is rooting for him and the gang on Quantum!

Nice pics Mer

Clean,

Nice coverage.

Do you think it would be interesting to follow a boat in the last few minutes of pre-start just to get a look at their tactics or would this just be too boring or unfeasable to video?

Thanks

Clean, didya get the scoop on why the "Graffiti" boat (USA-130, Zen) retired from the last race?

I'm interested 'cause I own hull 131 and want to know if there is anything I need to look at for fixin'. Thanks.

Sun is beating down already, and there ain't much breeze here on my porch. I dove 7 boats this morning, and only after getting out of the water did I realize that I never zipped up my wetsuit. No wonder my balls disappeared!

Miss you, Chuckie bro - where da fuck you at?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cUNNKzj_Nc

:lol::P:lol:

What's happening? AP for lack of breeze?

I think first warning is at 1100 Eastern?

Okay, thanks. Maybe I will get some work done today.

Pretty good writing on Andrew Campbell's blog:

MOB Drill in Annapolis this Weekend

October 19th, 2008 in General.

This weekend autumn finally caught up with us on the east coast. We were racing in Annapolis at the Eastport Yacht Club on Saturday and practicing Sunday with Stu McNay’s new (to him) Melges 24. We sailed with US Sailing team members Dave Hughes and Brian Boyd as well as former Georgetown women’s team captain Jackie Schmitz covering pit. All in a given weekend, we had good tacks and bad tacks, good sets bad sets, we hooked a crab-pot so badly that we had to douse the spinnaker, go head to wind, and back down to get the darn thing off, we even saved a guy. No joke, we actually saved a J80 sailor’s life. The breeze was up in the teens, and the first cool dry air of this fall made for some blustery and chilly conditions. The J80 fleet had finished ahead of us and we were just pulling the spinnaker down after the finish when we saw something in the water just ahead. I could barely get the words out to Stu before we almost ran over the guy, “Turn right! There’s a guy in the water!” Somehow one of the J80’s had lost a man overboard. As we luckily missed him we understood very quickly that he was in trouble. “Help me!,” he screamed as we slid past still in the process of taking the chute down only fifteen seconds after finishing the race. We realized that the J80s were circling unsuccessfully to pick the guy up and we immediately jibed onto port and tacked back towards the target. It couldn’t have been more than twenty more seconds after we went past that we had him along side and he clawed onto Dave Hughes’ arms on the mid-bow. We handed him off to the low-scoop transom of the Melges 24 and hauled him aboard. After a cursory scan for bleeding we asked the guy’s name: “Jim.” That’s all he said for the next ten minutes. I made sure to keep a hand on him in case he keeled over. The guy was shaking, not so much from the cold as from shock. The water was nearly 65 degrees, but we had no idea how long he’d been in the water, and without a lifejacket and in full foul weather gear, there was no doubt Jim had been in the water far too long for his comfort. Judging by how heavy he and his water-logged gear was when we pulled him aboard, I’m not sure he would have been able to swim much longer. We offered him some gatorade and another jacket and then waved the mark-set boat over to us. We couldn’t figure out why that boat hadn’t picked him up until they tried to make a landing on the Melges 24. We finally came side by side the whaler and helped Jim off our boat onto the committee boat, with instructions to take him directly to the dock. We sailed by Jim’s boat “Puffinator” and informed them that the guy was clearly in shock and possibly hypothermia and that we’d told the committee boat to take him in. Not entirely sure they’d understood, they sailed off towards the dock and about a minute later, just long enough for us to figure out what had just happened, much less ready us for the next race, the five minute gun went off and we were back racing.

I guess, if Jim or anybody from the Eastport YC is reading this, Stu, Brian, Dave, Jackie and I are curious to make sure that Jim’s alright. We never saw the boat when we got back to the dock. I just hope the guy gets a decent life jacket for next time he goes out racing. Who are we to say, but I’m not sure that the guy would have been picked up had we not nearly run him over and then spun round to get him. All of us and sailors in general should be a bit better trained in our MOB drills and have a protocol in terms of throwing a life-jacket and then getting into a position for pickup as fast as possible. I never thought that a weekend racing series would demand that kind of seamanship, but I’m glad that Stu and the rest of our team had the wherewithal to recognize what was happening then the skill to get back and get a hold of him in such short order.

More to come from this weekend and how the racing actually went. Hopefully we hear something from Jim and we’ll be able to get back to you about his impressions.

This story illustrates once again, the GREAT need for RCs to be better trained in MOB situations. I don't know the lead up to this one, but while I was covering the Etchells NAs in Annapolis 6 weeks ago, I had to power over to the RC after attempting to radio them multiple times. As it turned out they weren't able to assist the bleeding crew member (22 stitches in his forehead) because they didn't have a rubber boat. That club has something like 10 rubber boats at the dock.

In addition I was an MOB (first time in 10 years) in 8 foot deep Biscayne Bay, full foulies, pfd, and boots in the winter, and a hard sided RC boat powered over to me, 40 feet away, and asked me to swim to them. Maybe it was 20 feet, but ANYWAY. YOU CANT SWIM IN FOULIES. I was astounded and angry that these guys, who I knew by name, didn't know how to save me.

This all goes to the point that for big regattas (ideally for any regatta), RCs MUST be prepared for MOBs, with First AID trained people on hand, rubber boats (I don't care if its raining), and radios tuned to the comm channel for the race, not their "back channel."

OK, I'm stepping off my high horse now. Back to the races.

Latest gouge from Thomas Point Lighthouse (a few miles South of the race course):

Wind Direction (WDIR): WNW ( 300 deg true )

Wind Speed (WSPD): 9 kts

Wind Gust (GST): 11 kts

Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 30.45 in

Pressure Tendency (PTDY): +0.10 in ( Rising Rapidly )

Air Temperature (ATMP): 41.7 °F

Water Temperature (WTMP): 54.5 °F

Dew Point (DEWP): 27.9 °F

Wind Chill (CHILL): 35.6 °F

Continuous Winds TIME

(EDT) WDIR WSPD

10:00 am NW ( 312 deg ) 9 kts

9:50 am NW ( 316 deg ) 10 kts

9:40 am WNW ( 302 deg ) 9 kts

9:30 am WNW ( 302 deg ) 10 kts

9:20 am WNW ( 300 deg ) 9 kts

9:10 am WNW ( 297 deg ) 9 kts

Wow, this is already a hell of a day! Hang on - just getting the start.

So - here's the deal: It's blowing 14 knots, with some puffs to about 17. The RC set up at 300 degrees, and the entire fleet was fighting for the boat end. Why? Because the course is filled up with huge righties. We just watched two boats auto-tack - this is going to be one hell of a crapshoot!

Joe Fly won the boat, and looks great. Ditto Blu Moon. T Hutch got absolutely cornholed and stuck in the third row on port tack.

So correction - course was 330 degrees, and the wind up here at the top mark is 0-10 degrees, with puffs at 20 degrees!

video? pics?

Entourage guys said it was cold as hell, and very difficult in those conditions yesterday, with such tough competition. They hope to have sorted out some stuff to improve today.

Turtle, thanks for the suggestion. It's hard to follow them around in a big pack, but we'll see if we can't focus on one boat a bit more.

Vids loading now - and we have a sweet announcement from sponsor Coral Reef Sailing Apparel, they're giving away mad swag today.

Hilarious ! THe boats are half the way up the beat and the new ww mark is already being run out at full plane for the second beat. Go the rightie! Hutch has still not dug out of the hole he's in.

Top Mark:

Joe Fly

Stu McNay

Gannet

Monsoon

Mustang

Schlegel

Ullman

WTF

Simplicity

Chris Larson

and 13: Hutch

Top Mark:

Joe Fly

Stu McNay

Gannet

Monsoon

Mustang

Schlegel

Ullman

WTF

Simplicity

Chris Larson

Hutch worked hard to get there after a 3rd row start.

Pics too big, but here it is anyway. Working on it....

IMG_1496.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1499.jpg

Bah! Who needs to work today? Keep it coming clean, and give DB a big whack for me, will ya?!

If you see #687, Firewater, a shot would be appreciated.

The Tampa Bay Florida boys I am sure are freezing their asses completly off.

How about a Quantum (Hutch) comback pool? I say they get back to 4th.

I'll take the #6 square for $20

Top Mark:

Joe Fly

Stu McNay

Gannet

Monsoon

Mustang

Schlegel

Ullman

WTF

Simplicity

Chris Larson

Hutch worked hard to get there after a 3rd row start.

Damn right not many people that can dig out of a hole like that...we'll see how a drop affects that but still three legs to go!! I will Take square 7 for karma can't ask for too much

Videos are loaded and processing, here were thebottom mark roundings.

Monsoon passes

Joe Fly

Othmar

McNay

Simplicity

Dabney

WTF

Ullman

Barbarians

MFatic

Blu oon

Hutchinson

Larson

RIght now at the top mark the baots on either side are pointing about 40 degrees apart on the same board.

What happened to the lane's they falter after yesterday?

Final top mark:

Joe Fly (by a good way)

Wireless

Monsoon

Simplicity

Othmar

Barbarians

Ullman

Larson

Blu Moon

Hutchinson

MFatic

Field (with a beatiful 360 after fouling Q)

Rock N Roll

Full Throttle!

Hi Clean,

economic crisis won't get better if you keep 128+ users away from work (me included) :D

Keep going and slow down kicking IMCA staff...

regards from Germany

GT

Brother! Glad to see you on board, and I'm done with bashing the class. Fiona gave me a great big kiss and smacked my ass with an oar this morning.

Final top mark:

Joe Fly (by a good way)

Wireless

Monsoon

Simplicity

Othmar

Barbarians

Ullman

Larson

Blu Moon

Hutchinson

MFatic

Rock N Roll

Full Throttle!

Nice work - What happened last night?

Here's that bottom mark video. Sheer excitement, sort of.

Besides a half-bottle of vodka?

Quantum comeback pool….

4 Ludicrous Speed

5 Hike, Bitches!

6 Franklins Tower

7 Thistle Racer

Final top mark:

Joe Fly (by a good way)

Wireless

Monsoon

Simplicity

Othmar

Barbarians

Ullman

Larson

Blu Moon

Hutchinson

MFatic

Rock N Roll

Full Throttle!

Here's that bottom mark video. Sheer excitement, sort of.

Besides a half-bottle of vodka?

Only half? 1.5 liter though right?

Looks like the big righty is favoring thistle racer or FranklinsTower. No passing lanes...

Quantum comeback pool….

4 Ludicrous Speed

5 Hike, Bitches!

6 Franklins Tower

7 Thistle Racer

Final top mark:

Joe Fly (by a good way)

Wireless

Monsoon

Simplicity

Othmar

Barbarians

Ullman

Larson

Blu Moon

Hutchinson

MFatic

Rock N Roll

Full Throttle!

For those of you interested in the wind conditions:

Here are the conditions from the Thomas Point light house which is a couple of miles from the race course. (notice that nice left shift during the last ten minutes).

Conditions at TPLM2 as of (12:00 pm EDT) 1600 GMT on 10/30/2008:

Continuous Winds TIME

(EDT) WDIR WSPD

12:00 pm NW ( 323 deg ) 14 kts

11:50 am NNW ( 346 deg ) 11 kts

11:40 am NNW ( 341 deg ) 14 kts

11:30 am NNW ( 343 deg ) 14 kts

11:20 am NNW ( 342 deg ) 16 kts

11:10 am NNW ( 336 deg ) 14 kts

(Hopefully it formatted a little better this time).

BRRRR - Not a soul out there without major head cover on. Gorgeous shots Mer!

Do you think Ullman has icicles on his mustache yet?

FInishes:

Joe Fly

Blu Moon

Simplicity

Monsoon

Wireless

Larson

Gannet

MFatic

Q

Full Throttle

Barbars

Ullman

RockNRoll

McNay

WTF

KO Sailing

Pter Lane

Tiburon

Porter

Hamilton

While we wait for the RC to get the start done, check out this interview with Coral Reef owner George Cannon. Good shit!

Hi Clean,

economic crisis won't get better if you keep 128+ users away from work (me included) :D

Keep going and slow down kicking IMCA staff...

regards from Germany

GT

Brother! Glad to see you on board, and I'm done with bashing the class. Fiona gave me a great big kiss and smacked my ass with an oar this morning.

Well done Fiona! and you will survive anyway...

GT

We all missed! Tough, tough fleet and narrowing race course...

FInishes:

Joe Fly

Blu Moon

Simplicity

Monsoon

Wireless

Larson

Gannet

MFatic

Q

Full Throttle

Barbars

Ullman

RockNRoll

McNay

WTF

KO Sailing

Pter Lane

Tiburon

Porter

Hamilton

Almost caught up on pics!~

Course 4 - bearing 345 degrees. Larson and Quantum hanging out at the pin.

IMG_1739.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1738.jpg

IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg

IMG_1700.jpg

IMG_1724.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg

IMG_1711.jpg

Good job Bill Carleton, Mongo, Blank and the other guy! Bit of a comeback after yesterday.

WTF, Joe Fly looking great on the startat the middle left, but the course is showing leftie up the course.

Finally the finish is up!

BTW, the Southern Cross 52 that Mer shot for Sailing Magazine at the Mack race just crossed outside the course, and we got some video of them with a huge kite up. Sweet!

That'll take a bit, but here's that finish.

Here's George Cannon once again, this time explaining what he's giving away this week to lucky Anarchists.

BIG SHAKEUP at the top mark! Blu Moon, Simplicity, Joe Fly, all deep or very deep!

Sorry for the backup on videos, blame Youtube.

Barbarians second to last after being OCS, Simplicity third to last - same. Cujo must have sailed half the beat before finally going back, and is really, really far away as we head back down to the bottom mark.

THe forecast wind drop finally came through, and now we're seeing soak mode downwind. Makes our life a little easier, actually.

THe forecast wind drop finally came through, and now we're seeing soak mode downwind. Makes our life a little easier, actually.

Any info on the rounding order at the top? What kind of breeze are you seeing? still double digits?

Go The Gannet.

I sailed w/ them 1 year ago out there for East Coast Championships & got my sack handed to me from that fleet. It was a damn good time tho.

Melges OTW Blog is not bad for roundings. At top mark: Larson, Reeser, Von Blumen, Ayres, Kolius, Hutch, Golden, Fields, Mussman, Ullman.

Top Mark:

Larson

I'm With Stupid

Gannet

Monsoon

KO Sailing

Quantum Racing

Chillout

WTF

Vamoose

Ullman

These Reports are not coming in quick enough. Someone run some Adderall out to Clean STAT. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON OUT THERE - Where is Simplicity now? What the heck is going on with Throttle (These guys are not doing well)? What is Mer wearing. This is important info that I need now!

ND

Just when Blumoon was looking untouchable they came back to earth. Roughly how deep?

Melges OTW Blog is not bad for roundings. At top mark: Larson, Reeser, Von Blumen, Ayres, Kolius, Hutch, Golden, Fields, Mussman, Ullman.

STFU Newb! Ha Ha Why are you watching this when you are too old to hike?

For some reason, the videos are taking approx 12 minutes to process once uploaded - I'm not sure what that's about, but sorry for the delay.

Bottom Mark:

Larson

Gannet

I'm with Stupid (not Reeser!)

Monsoon

KO Sailing

Quanttum

WTF

Chillout

Peg 505 (Ullman)

Vamoose

STFU Newb! Ha Ha Why are you watching this when you are too old to hike?

Got two words for you knucklehead: Melges 20. That is for me. (OK 1 word, and a number).

Vincitore comes near the course. Funny story - the wind has been blowing all the water out of the bay for the past few days, and the tide plus wind has causd significantly low water here in Eastport. Vincitore looked awfully big from the water on Tuesday - almost like a giant Beneteau. "Some volume in that thing" says I. Not really though. Turns out someone hadn't loosened her mooring lines, and she was hanging from the non-floating dock. Sweet!

IMG_1812.jpg

IMG_1820.jpg

Wow good for Shane! He is going fast despite having Hoey (Grampa) on board. Ow wait the wind is dropping slightly - Hoey hikes real hard whens its blowing 10 or less.

ND

These Reports are not coming in quick enough. Someone run some Adderall out to Clean STAT. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON OUT THERE - Where is Simplicity now? What the heck is going on with Throttle (These guys are not doing well)? What is Mer wearing. This is important info that I need now!

ND

Mer is wearing a nipple-less sting bikini in gold tinsel, with silver tassels.

SImplicity is buried, buried, buried! You're a douche!