Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sleddog

George Olson

George Olson, iconic boat builder and boat designer, considered by many to be the father of the Santa Cruz ULDB's, died of cancer last week at age 69.

Olson, a longtime surfer and surfboard maker in the early days of Santa Cruz ultralights, was the creator or co-creator of such designs as the Jester Dinghy, Moore 24, Olson 25, Santa Cruz 27, Olson 29, Olson 30, Olson 34, and Olson 40.

In 1969, starting out with a masthead maxed out Cal-20 plus named SOPWITH CAMEL, George Olson set out to create the longest boat for 2,000 pounds displacement he could. The result was the 24 foot GRENDEL, a 24-ft fiberglass rocketship built over a male mold. GRENDEL proved a terror on the water, winning the 1970 MORA season championship and that year's 500 mile MORA Long Distance, which finished in Ensenada.

Ron Moore rescued GRENDEL's mold from a canyon behind a burned out barn in the Santa Cruz hills, and a partnership was formed between Ron and John Moore and George Olson to create the ultimate Wednesday night race boat for Monterey Bay. By jacking GRENDEL's mold apart with 2x4's at Moore's Reef(boat shop) in Santa Cruz, a foot more beam was added and the glass and resin started flowing, ultimately creating the Moore 24 prototype, SUMMERTIME.

Wednesday nights would never be the same again. (Today, GRENDEL sits in a slip on "O"-dock, and with a casual glance, you cannot tell her dark green hull apart from a nearby Moore 24.)

George Olson's other finest design was the Olson 30, a boat he designed in 1978. On a delivery of Bill Lee's MERLIN back from her record breaking '77 Transpac , Olson came up with the idea while sailing with Denis Bassano and Don Snyder, who lent their initials to the prototype's name, the SOB 30. The resulting boat was christened PACIFIC HIGH, and was launched in 1978.

As a result of PACIFIC HIGH winning many local Santa Cruz races, Olson constructed a semi-tweaked plug for a production boat. The draft was reduced, the freeboard increased, and the teak decks of the prototype were replaced with fiberglass and gel coat non-skid. Olson and partner Ln Neale started Pacific Boats in an industrial area of Santa Cruz in 1978 to build the Olson 30, and the shop remained open until closure in 1987.

For 30 years Olson 30's have been, with the Moore 24, synonymous with the best downwind surfing ever.

Condolences to Ln, Adrian, and Christine. A memorial will likely be held sometime in the Spring.

Sail on, George. Thanks for the Memories. Those Monterey Bay swells are beckoning.

~sleddog

A simple rally cry for a certain good time.

Fast is Fun.

Truly ahead of its time George, thanks for the O30, and thanks for the fun.

God bless, and may our prayers be with his family.

--Matt

Many a sailor (including me) has had many an exciting moment on an O30.

Sail on, George.

:(:(

Worked for George for a short stint after college building O911s and O25s. He was a quiet, caring, understated, one of a kind person. He was also an amazing inventor and innovator, whom I admired greatly for his high quality boats that were ahead of their time.

I was always amazed at the things he designed and built, including his old restored model A truck with the electric musical bell array in the back that he used to drive in the 4th of July parade in Aptos.

Very sad to hear he has sailed into the sunset.

Sail on George! and thanks for all you contributed to the Santa Cruz community.

JA

As a lover and sailer of Santa Cruz ULDBs (My first 'exiting' moment was on an O30 in Santa Cruz), I say thanks to George and condolences to his family.

Sail On.

Had one amazing ride on an O30 around San Clemente Island in the 80's that hooked me, and still sail and love George's "stepchild" the Moore 24.

Thanks for the fun George.....

As a previous owner of an O30, I have to say "thanks George". As many of us wish him to have the wind behind him, I hope he's on a downwind sled having a great ride!

Jollymon

He was a Great person. I met George at a Olson 30 Nationals and had a wonderful conversation with him.

Sail on.

Very sad to hear that. My condolences to those who loved him.

The O-30 and O-40 were two of my all time favorite boats.

I remember one race in a 30 where we peeled the spin pole track off the mast in sections as we planed our way down Puget Sound to Pt. Wilson. We just kept repositioning the pole on what was left of the track and kept going. Greg Jackson was steering. It was a lot of fun on a great boat. I think the O-30 showed the world that ULDB's could be fast under any and all conditions.

I saw the Moore 24s for the first time at Santa Cruz a few weeks ago. very handsome lines, very photogenic boat.

image229_s.JPG

He was one hell of a nice guy and he built a fine boat. I'm proud to say I knew him and he will be missed.

I hope they put his ashes out by the weather mark so every body can say hi as they round and he can have an everlasting

supply of comedic entertainment watching the folks hoist the chutes.

:(

I remember coming back through Race Pass on an O30, one fine Swiftsure many moons ago, and a spectacular Winter Vashon aboard an O40. Awesome boats penned by an Icon. Fair winds, George.

His boats truly helped change the way keel boat racing and cruising is played in the PNW. Olson's, Santa Cruz's and Moores have taken me on the best sleighrides of my life. The ability to sail them shorthanded on deliveries has been a joy. Sure we have torn up some kites, but not as many anymore. George Olson was an asset to our sailing community, he will be missed. I think a memorial trophy in his honor for some sunny Santa Cruz race would be appropriate.

I saw Blue Star on a Wet Wednesday 4 years ago. I was instantly hooked. "Gotta get me one of those" moments.

Still sail an O 30, I have yards of fun, still racing against Blue Star. Thanks George, for some of my best sailing rides in 46 years of sailing.

He was a super nice guy. He was quiet, brilliant, curious, and obviously pretty talented! I had the honor of helping prepare every O 30 from about 1981-1984 for delivery. Me one very sad boy.

Dave Wilson

As a planned future O30 owner (draft is perfect for Galveston Bay) definitely sad. Can't wait for my first 030 sled ride.

Very sad, condolences to his family.

Here is my Olson 34, we are really loving her.

temeritysleeps.jpg

Fast Company provided a lot of great times for friends and family. It was a great boat designed by a great man. May the wind be at your back George, Mahalo for what you've given us.

Mitch

post-191-1227120680_thumb.jpg

Many great moments on the O30, like overtaking the chute down a wave at the pre Nationals beercan this year. Thanks, George.

Fair winds and following seas. His craft have given me the best sailing years of my life.

post-297-1227122595_thumb.jpg

Hull # 111, Chesapeake Bay

I'm sorry to hear this. Although I don't own one I've always been a fan of ULDBs. Plus, I'm also a fan of Lionel trains and knew he was involved with that hobby too. As you get older it always makes you stop and think when someone just a little older passes away who you respected and thought would always be there.

SAIL ON GEORGE.

Thanks for all of the good times you have provided.

I have spent more time aboard Olson 30s than I have

on any other type of boat. I was in love from the moment

I saw the first advertisement for the boat in '78.

On behalf of the entire Olson 30 organization. George, we wish you Godspeed and hope you surf in Heaven forever. Thank you for so many memories aboard your fantastic innovations.

Attaching a pic of my O30 on Lake Tahoe, as close to God as possible.

Todd Downey

President Olson 30 Class Association

post-29192-1227124607_thumb.jpg

I've sailed a lot of miles on a couple different O30s, and a weekend racing a Moore 24.

Neither boat is the most comfortable boat ever...but they are both fast, simple, fun boats to sail. Yeah, up here in the PNW they can be wet and cold, but turn the corner, set the chute and fun time starts.

Fair Winds George.

Damn, what a sad day.

George was a fine man. I hope the family is coping well. Just saw some graphics done by Adrian on a project at Svends. Reminded me of the Good Old Days surfing the Spring waves on an O30 sailing into the Harbor.

George, I know you're up there, send us a puff and nice roundie to surf down every once and awhile.

A sad day is knowing a friend has passed and you never got to say goodbye. Don't let this one pass. Hold your friends close. Best tribute to George we can give.

I have definately enjoyed my Olson 25. The most fun has been the Light Bucket races. Surfing back into the SFBay is a blast. I am enjoying my O40 and look forward to surfing down the coast.

Sad news indeed for the sailing community.

post-19142-1227133247_thumb.jpg

Good bye old boy. I had some great times working for you and you were truly a kind and thoughtful man. The boats were what they were, sports cars for the masses. I loved every minute. Fair winds.

Crew

Dear George,

Owned an Olson 30 for a number of years and loved her. Had some amazing sailing moments while racing and had some glorious moments with my family which was young at the time. First cruise was on a sunny day, a wicked breeze with a double reefed main and number 3 ripping along on a very broad reach at 11 plus knots. 4 year old was playing in the cabin and my wife was sitting in the cockpit on the leeward seat with her back to the bulkhead holding my one year old sleeping daughter. Boat was always so easy to handle.

I strayed form the path of Olsoness and owned other larger boats but the sweet memories of the O30 lingered.

I've returned to the Church of Olson and owned a 29 for 6 years now. After owning numerous boats over more decades than I care to admit, your Olson is the keeper. Somehow, you got everything just right. There is some magic in that hull shape.

Sailing is my passion and you have done much to fuel it.

Thank you sir.

Hope you get to have a nice long chat with Olin up there.

Fast is Fun.

I too need to say THANK YOU. Your Olson 29 gave my daughter her first sail at 7 days old. Your O29 carried me safely singlehanded to Bermuda in weather where Js were ripping the tabbing off the main bulkheads. Your O29 still has given me my fastest monohull ride at 19.5 kn. My family cried when we finally sold her.

Your boats have soul.

Thank you

I had the pleasure of meeting George at the 75th Anniversary celebration of the Marblehead model yacht class at Redd's Pond last year in Marblehead. George brought a 1940's era Gus Lassel boat that he had beautifully restored, and despite never having free-sailed before, won at least one heat against people and boats that had sailed that venue for decades. Truly a special individual.

Earl

Here's Screaming O, an Olson 40, during a Mac race in the 90s. The "O Hotel" sailed proudly out of Bayview for many years, skippered by Bill Francis. We are all saddened by the passing of the creator of this magnificent vessel.

post-22033-1227195601_thumb.jpg

George Olson, iconic boat builder and boat designer, considered by many to be the father of the Santa Cruz ULDB's, died of cancer last week at age 69.

Olson, a longtime surfer and surfboard maker in the early days of Santa Cruz ultralights, was the creator or co-creator of such designs as the Jester Dinghy, Moore 24, Olson 25, Santa Cruz 27, Olson 29, Olson 30, Olson 34, and Olson 40.

In 1969, starting out with a masthead maxed out Cal-20 plus named SOPWITH CAMEL, George Olson set out to create the longest boat for 2,000 pounds displacement he could. The result was the 24 foot GRENDEL, a 24-ft fiberglass rocketship built over a male mold. GRENDEL proved a terror on the water, winning the 1970 MORA season championship and that year's 500 mile MORA Long Distance, which finished in Ensenada.

Ron Moore rescued GRENDEL's mold from a canyon behind a burned out barn in the Santa Cruz hills, and a partnership was formed between Ron and John Moore and George Olson to create the ultimate Wednesday night race boat for Monterey Bay. By jacking GRENDEL's mold apart with 2x4's at Moore's Reef(boat shop) in Santa Cruz, a foot more beam was added and the glass and resin started flowing, ultimately creating the Moore 24 prototype, SUMMERTIME.

Wednesday nights would never be the same again. (Today, GRENDEL sits in a slip on "O"-dock, and with a casual glance, you cannot tell her dark green hull apart from a nearby Moore 24.)

George Olson's other finest design was the Olson 30, a boat he designed in 1978. On a delivery of Bill Lee's MERLIN back from her record breaking '77 Transpac , Olson came up with the idea while sailing with Denis Bassano and Don Snyder, who lent their initials to the prototype's name, the SOB 30. The resulting boat was christened PACIFIC HIGH, and was launched in 1978.

As a result of PACIFIC HIGH winning many local Santa Cruz races, Olson constructed a semi-tweaked plug for a production boat. The draft was reduced, the freeboard increased, and the teak decks of the prototype were replaced with fiberglass and gel coat non-skid. Olson and partner Ln Neale started Pacific Boats in an industrial area of Santa Cruz in 1978 to build the Olson 30, and the shop remained open until closure in 1987.

For 30 years Olson 30's have been, with the Moore 24, synonymous with the best downwind surfing ever.

Condolences to Ln, Adrian, and Christine. A memorial will likely be held sometime in the Spring.

Sail on, George. Thanks for the Memories. Those Monterey Bay swells are beckoning.

~sleddog

Here are some shots of the O30 doing what it does best

Shots of Junkyard dog back from the DH farallon's "same race that Pterodactyl was lost"

God speed Geroge.

post-14847-1227201842_thumb.jpg

post-14847-1227201867_thumb.jpg

post-14847-1227201922_thumb.jpg

Fuck the fucking cone. George's boats rocked the world. Smooth sailing big guy. You will be missed ! Long live the big facking O boats ! Word.

I used to own an Olson 911. Still my favorite boat. There is a story floating around SF Bay that the "O" logo on the Olson sails came from tracing a toilet seat. Thus the O25 and O911 were called "Toilet Seat 25" and "Toilet Seat 911" by some people.

Fair winds & flat seas George, you will be missed.

I've owned a "O" boat for many years and had the opportunity to meet George several times while sailing my 30 and on a few 40's on the west coast. He and Bill Lee were masters of the sailing world and they will live with us old west coast sled racers for ever. Fair Wind and Following Seas George, I hope that your memory never leaves the sailing world and that your legacy lives on forever.

God Speed my friend

I used to own an Olson 911. Still my favorite boat. There is a story floating around SF Bay that the "O" logo on the Olson sails came from tracing a toilet seat. Thus the O25 and O911 were called "Toilet Seat 25" and "Toilet Seat 911" by some people.

The Traditional Battle Razz has always been:

" You just got beat by a toilet seat " :lol:

" You just got beat by a toilet seat "* :lol:

To the tune of "Camptown Ladies" too....

He made 'em both fast and damn good looking.

343980957.jpg

post-33401-1227218029.jpgSo sorry to hear of the passing of George Olson. If memory serves, he graced us with his presence at the 1996 Olson 30 Nationals in Santa Cruz (the "homecoming"), I was lucky enough to have a nice chat with him, what a great guy. The thing I most admired about George was his big picture understanding of boat design (among many other topics) without a formal education. It makes me very proud to have been an Olson 30 owner for over 15 years now. My first ULDB thrill was on an O30 as crew around 1979, and I'm still being thrilled as a skipper these days. Thank you George for figuring out "fast IS fun", and giving us the tools to get there. Fair winds & a clean beach break with no closeouts.

" You just got beat by a toilet seat " :lol:

There's an O 25 named American Standard

Sorry to hear the news. I hope the family can take solace in the fact that his various designs have brought me some of my most memorable sailing experiences. Thank you George!

I worked at Pacific Boats ('81 to '86) and dirtboated with him for many years. He was a true craftsman with a real attention to detail and the proper way to do things. these qualities have stuck with me over the years and I still quote George on a regular basis to this day. I owned Summertime (Moore 24 prototype) for many years and still think it is one of the best boats ever built, perfect balance, easy to sail with 2 people and fast (for a boat without a canting keel, water ballast or A sails). Summertime is currently in Santa Cruz and with a little work it is still capable of winning races nearly 40 years after it was built. George built many great things in his lifetime and taught many to do the same.

He will be greatly missed.

Dennis Bassano JR.

post-23891-1227230783_thumb.jpg

Surfing the O30 to Hawaii and drifting into Monterey. For me these shots sum up what it's like sailing this great boat downwind, and the beauty of the lines. A great testament to the designer 25+ years later.

post-819-1227236617_thumb.jpgpost-819-1227236948_thumb.jpg

Surfing the O30 to Hawaii and drifting into Monterey. For me these shots sum up what it's like sailing this great boat downwind, and the beauty of the lines. A great testament to the designer 25+ years later.

post-819-1227236617_thumb.jpgpost-819-1227236948_thumb.jpg

Fair winds, George. You have positively influenced humanity.

Sometimes someone like George wanders by, and comes up with something that most people call radical, but really looks so obvious and so just right. And that gives me a smile that you just don't get to smile very often.

As was posted above, I know that George and Olin and Knud and Ben and Ben and L Francis and Rodney and Gary and Reinhard and Raymond along with many others are having a wee dram and a long fine conversation. Because they all could see it. and maybe when I can clear these unexpected tears, I'll smile that smile, and offer a wee toast myself.

If not for George, no Amati. That simple.

Paul

Loved our O30 (hull #3) thank you for a great boat that was a blast to sail in a Buzzards Bay blow or a Cap Cod drifter.

Was that Jalepeno?

For you Olson fanatics: Long Board and Ford

post-297-1227805763_thumb.jpg

Available at numerous on-line poster and art websites. Artist, Evelyn Jenkins Drew, was a close friend of George.

Also:

post-297-1227805820_thumb.jpg

Not available anywhere, but board decals are worth several hundred dollars.

Looks Fast standing still

post-20900-1229351154_thumb.jpg

Fun in the summer time, fun in winter; a little West Coast on the East Coast - THANK YOU, God Speed .......

Was rummaging through the liquor cabinet and came across this bottle of beer. A couple of us rabid O30 fans brewed a batch of beer for the 96' nationals...George signed this bottle and a T-shirt. I had a couple of good conversations with George over the years. He was always a bit shy about the"Fame" he/his designs had achieved.

Sail on....

post-8371-1231133885_thumb.jpg

post-8371-1231133929_thumb.jpg

George Olson was my husband and partner for 34 years. Your comments were read today for the first time (May 6, 2009) Thank you for your input. George was an incredible human being and we had many adventures in life. I miss him. Lyn Neale Olson, railrax@yahoo.com. Any questions or comments to me will be read and responded to.

George Olson was my husband and partner for 34 years. Your comments were read today for the first time (May 6, 2009) Thank you for your input. George was an incredible human being and we had many adventures in life. I miss him. Lyn Neale Olson, railrax@yahoo.com. Any questions or comments to me will be read and responded to.

Lyn,

I'm sorry for your loss. My brother bought an O30 last year, and we've been having a great time sailing it on SF bay, it's a wonderful boat!

Any chance you could tell any stories of the adventures you and George had?

Thanks for posting Lynn. George's legacy lives on forever!

Lyn,

I'm sorry for your loss. My brother bought an O30 last year, and we've been having a great time sailing it on SF bay, it's a wonderful boat!

Well, a couple of the adventures together were spending a year in Korea working on a theme park project, driving the 1926 Model T speedster that George took 4 years to build (by himself) for 10,000 miles in Canada and the USA, designing and building a house together, building a 4' replica of a Victorian home in Watsonville as a doll house for the owner's granddaughter, being pit crew for a race car on the Bonneville Salt Flats and setting a world speed record in 2007. He was an extrodinary person and very motivated. We really did have a great life together. lyn. (don't know if that is specific enough, but here you are and thank you for your email)

Are we gonna see a big "Olson Extended Family Reunion Celebration" some day ??? ;)

That's one heck of a large extended family.

Bump this. We loved our O 30, raced the shit out of it! condolences on your loss. I am glad to see that you guys had a lot of fun together!

Lyn,

Well, a couple of the adventures together were spending a year in Korea working on a theme park project, driving the 1926 Model T speedster that George took 4 years to build (by himself) for 10,000 miles in Canada and the USA, designing and building a house together, building a 4' replica of a Victorian home in Watsonville as a doll house for the owner's granddaughter, being pit crew for a race car on the Bonneville Salt Flats and setting a world speed record in 2007. He was an extrodinary person and very motivated. We really did have a great life together. lyn. (don't know if that is specific enough, but here you are and thank you for your email)

WOW! That is interesting adventures and he really does sound extraordinary. Seemed very involved in many things aside from sailing.

I hope your ok.

Thanks for posting and sharing your thoughts.

If you have not heard yet, the Olson 30 Association is having a "George Olson Memorial Trophy" created by an excellent artist. This trophy will serve as the North American Championship Trophy, which will be contested in Kingston, Ontario this August. As soon as I have pics (later in the summer), I will post them here.

Are we gonna see a big "Olson Extended Family Reunion Celebration" some day ??? ;)

That's one heck of a large extended family.

Yes, I am putting together a celebration of George's life. Not many details yet but if you want to come, please give me an email address so you can get the info. Tnx. lyn, May 7, 09

If you have not heard yet, the Olson 30 Association is having a "George Olson Memorial Trophy" created by an excellent artist. This trophy will serve as the North American Championship Trophy, which will be contested in Kingston, Ontario this August. As soon as I have pics (later in the summer), I will post them here.

Hello: I did not know about the O30 Memorial Trophy, but it is a wonderful idea. Please share information and pix with me. Thanks for the info. Lyn

Adrian gave us the go-ahead.

Here is a link to the artist's pathetic website: Ironworks

He is now busy trying to figure out how to make a spinnaker out of steel...

Adrian gave us the go-ahead.

Here is a link to the artist's pathetic website: Ironworks

He is now busy trying to figure out how to make a spinnaker out of steel...

Hey, this is Lyn again. I have a wire frame sculpture of an Olson 30 and would be happy to donate it for the trophy. It is about 18" tall and very very lovely. It came from Jim Betz, who owned one of the first Olsons. If you are interested, let me know and I will send pix. I love the sculpture and it would make a great perpetual trophy too. May 7, 2009. Will check out your "pathetic" website. tnx for the email.

For you Olson fanatics: Long Board and Ford

post-297-1227805763_thumb.jpg

Available at numerous on-line poster and art websites. Artist, Evelyn Jenkins Drew, was a close friend of George.

George and Evelyn both signed some of the posters. She would bring a batch to our house and George would sign them, in exchange, she gave me a pile of small and large posters. They are great. She is sailing in the Carribean now, but returns to Santa Cruz when hurricanes start. Will save this for her to see. tnx. Lyn Olson Neale

Also:

post-297-1227805820_thumb.jpg

Not available anywhere, but board decals are worth several hundred dollars.

My Ride, for the last 11 years, sold to a lucky Ches bay sailor last week:

post-297-1241707725_thumb.jpg

My "new" ride, arrives on Monday, 5/11. A pristine 1989 O-34:

post-297-1241707644_thumb.jpg

I've been a George Olson fan for many years.

Oh yea, I'm an Olsen.

Who is the new owner, CTO?

Lyn, you should keep your sculpture, as I am sure it has great sentimental value for you and yours. Thanks for your offer, though!

Here are my pictorial contributions...

post-121-1241714671_thumb.jpg

post-121-1241714697_thumb.jpg

post-121-1241714778_thumb.jpg

My Ride, for the last 11 years, sold to a lucky Ches bay sailor last week:

post-297-1241707725_thumb.jpg

My "new" ride, arrives on Monday, 5/11. A pristine 1989 O-34:

post-297-1241707644_thumb.jpg

I've been a George Olson fan for many years.

Oh yea, I'm an Olsen.

Great photo of the 30 with the chute up. All of us Olsens/Olsons are probably related to the same Norwegian viking. lyn

Who is the new owner, CTO?

Lyn, you should keep your sculpture, as I am sure it has great sentimental value for you and yours. Thanks for your offer, though!

Here are my pictorial contributions...

post-121-1241714671_thumb.jpg

post-121-1241714697_thumb.jpg

post-121-1241714778_thumb.jpg

The pix are fabulous, especially the close encounter with the chutes/hulls. lyn and tnx for the suggestions. I love the wire sculpture, but would like the class to have it someday.

This thread is one of the most touching tributes to a sailor I've ever seen. Thanks all for posting, and thanks Lyn for being a part of it.

post-9357-1241718888_thumb.jpg

post-9357-1241718925_thumb.jpg

The new chute really faded at the end of the season....

Condolences from another sailor AND train collector/operator.

Condolences from Team Jack-A-Roe. Miss the boat. It was sold last year to sailors in Duluth. At least it will still be on the Great Lakes.

post-133-1241721101_thumb.jpg

I raced an O30 in Antigua called Lost Horizon and have loved the boats ever since. It was an amazing time delivering the Ultra Light in the middle of the night from Antigua to St Martin dodging all of the Cruise Ships and larger boats that I'll never forget.

I am deeply sorry for your loss and appreciate you sharing your memories.

In the Fall of 2003 I got an email from George Olson inquiring about an old Marblehead (50 inch LOA) model yacht he had acquired. The boat had been built by in the 1950s by Gus Lassel who was, well, the George Olson of model yachting, and had the signature Lassel features of ultralight cold molded construction, sliding rig, and vane steering. In retrospect it seems very fitting that the paths of these two masters of sailing, miniature and full-size, should have crossed in this fashion.

George did a stunning job of restoring the boat, and in the process he took her lines off and started making fiberglass R/C replicas, which Adrian still produces. In 2007 he and Adrian brought the restoration and a couple of their replicas to the Vintage Group National Regatta at Redd's Pond in Marblehead, which was being held in celebration of the 75th Anniversary of the Marblehead Class. George entered the restoration in the free-sailing competition. I gave him all of a two-minute course in vane boat setup and he promptly went out and won a heat against skippers who had been free sailing on that difficult venue for decades. It was a thrilling experience for all concerned.

He was the very model of a gentleman, modest in demeanor and a giant in accomplishment, and will be sorely missed even by those of us who only knew him casually.

Earl

Never had the pleasure of meeting him in person, though enjoyed sailing on his boats in addition to his place in the lore of Santa Cruz sailing I grew up with (Jr. Morgan took me for my first sail in the 60's; Ron Moore and his brother were high school students of my father).

A friend worked with him at Morgan, and had nothing but the highest praise for him as a gentlemen, engineer, and general 'get it done' guy.

And then to find out he made a great model railroad storage system? Amazing... they will wind up in my house at some point, as my daughters have been introduced to both sailing and trains, loving both.

My deepest condolences to all; blessedly, he left a wonderful legacy we can all enjoy for many, many, many years to come.

Fair winds and following seas, Mr. Olson.