Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Regatta Dog

Etchells T-Bone Video

Caught a pretty nice collision frostbiting yesterday. The audio of the contact is very impressive, as is the colorful language that follows.

Link -

No one hurt. Here's a picture of the damage --

3055671928_6a42d2d72a.jpg

Thanks to Billy Backstay for the commentary.

That was quite the crunch.

They were able to tape over the hole before tacking onto starboard, otherwise the pump probably could not have kept up with the water and they would have had to withdraw. Talk about having the camera on at an opportune moment!! BTW, how did you edit out my "HOLY FUCK!!", while preserving the rest of the audio?? Nice job Regatta Dog!

They were able to tape over the hole before tacking onto starboard, otherwise the pump probably could not have kept up with the water and they would have had to withdraw. Talk about having the camera on at an opportune moment!! BTW, how did you edit out my "HOLY FUCK!!", while preserving the rest of the audio?? Nice job Regatta Dog!

Should have left it. :lol:

I heard Someone say FUCK!

Someone says "what the fuck", can't tell who it is though.

Shhhhhhh. No names.

I don't think it was an anarchist, though.

Shhhhhhh. No names.

We got sail numbers. This is not going to take to determine the guilty.

Excellent video. i thought that looked like Essex, besides where else do they frostbite etchells? Did you pay the cruncher to attack at that mark the get the shot?

Shhhhhhh. No names.

We got sail numbers. This is not going to take to determine the guilty.

Sail number can be different than registered, as we swap out crews, helmsmen, etc. Only the Shadow knows.

Funny how a boat with such a strong bow has such fragile topsides. It really doesn't take much to punch a hole if you make contact below the shear line.

Funny how a boat with such a strong bow has such fragile topsides. It really doesn't take much to punch a hole if you make contact below the shear line.

I wouldn't say that the Etchells is particularly fragile. I would say it has a nice, sharp, pointy bow that is perfect for spearing other boats.

Man, I love the Etchells. So much for 'avoiding' the collision. Everyone on both boats looked surprised at the collision.

Maybe they were just trying to 'bang' the mark? Turned out to be a fast gybe for them.

Trying to figure out why they were so wide of the layline?

I'll say it..................

WHAT THE FUUUUUUUCCCKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, I love the Etchells. So much for 'avoiding' the collision. Everyone on both boats looked surprised at the collision.

Maybe they were just trying to 'bang' the mark? Turned out to be a fast gybe for them.

Because we couldn't set a proper W/L because of wind direction and space constraints of a narrow river. You work with what you got.

The current was strong pushing the boats towards the mark, then one boat got an overlap by doing a late take-down and had to be let in. Etchells are pretty strong, but think of the mass pushing that pointy bow. Usually they hit at the rail corner and there is no damage. Because they were heeling, they were hit below the corner, then the pointy bow pushed up the deck like a can opener. If they had hit four feet forward, the rig probably would have come down. We lost a rig in similar T-bone two years ago, I think.

Because we couldn't set a proper W/L because of wind direction and space constraints of a narrow river. You work with what you got.

The current was strong pushing the boats towards the mark, then one boat got an overlap by doing a late take-down and had to be let in. Etchells are pretty strong, but think of the mass pushing that pointy bow. Usually they hit at the rail corner and there is no damage. Because they were heeling, they were hit below the corner, then the pointy bow pushed up the deck like a can opener. If they had hit four feet forward, the rig probably would have come down. We lost a rig in similar T-bone two years ago, I think.

Makes sense. Thanks BB

Good luck with the repairs.

There are a lot of us with slightly lighter triangular spots on the port side. It happens.

I wouldn't say that the Etchells is particularly fragile. I would say it has a nice, sharp, pointy bow that is perfect for spearing other boats.

And the position of the headstay allows for aggressive maneuvers with minimal risk to your own rig.

3055856057_04f47868e6_o.jpg

And the position of the headstay allows for aggressive maneuvers with minimal risk to your own rig.

3055856057_04f47868e6_o.jpg

Just like Stars and Solings. ;)

Who won the protest? I'd say the boat with hole in it.

Protest withdrawn when the offending boat withdrew from that race and the damaged boat was taken immediately for repairs to hopefully be ready for next Sunday. There is another boat available, if it's not fixed in time. Hope the boat in the wrong has good insurance!

Who won the protest? I'd say the boat with hole in it.

Protest withdrawn when the offending boat withdrew from that race and the damaged boat was taken immediately for repairs to hopefully be ready for next Sunday. There is another boat available, if it's not fixed in time. Hope the boat in the wrong has good insurance!

Hope they make it.

After talking to the owner, it sounds like the biggest problem is finding a heated shop to do the work. It's solid glass in that area, so if the deck seam isn't screwed up, the repair shouldn't be too difficult.

After talking to the owner, it sounds like the biggest problem is finding a heated shop to do the work. It's solid glass in that area, so if the deck seam isn't screwed up, the repair shouldn't be too difficult.

The gel coat at the deck seam is cracked, but I didn't look at the seam inside. Couldn't he just do a quick and dirty bondo job for the last two races, and fix if during the off-season?

The gel coat at the deck seam is cracked, but I didn't look at the seam inside. Couldn't he just do a quick and dirty bondo job for the last two races, and fix if during the off-season?

Geez, if there's a loaner boat, use that and fix the busted one in the spring.

Geez, if there's a loaner boat, use that and fix the busted one in the spring.

Yes, and it's a good newer boat as well. Most boats are set up slightly different, but not that big of a deal.

The crack at the deck is primarily filler. Use an old jib to make a tent. Use heat lamps and all is good.

The crack at the deck is primarily filler. Use an old jib to make a tent. Use heat lamps and all is good.

Big difference in coldness from up there to down here bro....... While I was at the Boatyard on Sat we were all bitching about how cold it was, my brother texted me to tell me he saw -2 that night.

It barely got over 30 degrees on Sunday, we were making ice scrapers out of empty beer cans for the JY's, and mid 20's at night.

I think the boat at right in the bouy picture is available as a loaner.

My boat is nice and snug in the barn thank you. I'm putting a bottom on the 36 on good days and sailing the couch on bad days this winter.

The tent and lamps do work. We did it in Minnesota. the trick is to shield the work area from the wind.

My boat is nice and snug in the barn thank you. I'm putting a bottom on the 36 on good days and sailing the couch on bad days this winter.

The tent and lamps do work. We did it in Minnesota. the trick is to shield the work area from the wind.

I thought the trick was to have yer Etchell in Miami for the winter.....

3057120000_1d6ea053e7_o.jpg

Fuck that.

Let me just Passionately and Emphatically repeat that

FUCK THAT!!!!!!

I haven't seen Ice outside of my freezer in 14 years now. I'm cold just looking at that.

That was some seriously bad sailing from the guy doing the damage. There were plenty of escape routes to prevent the collision and he took none of them. It looked like his brain just went numb!!

That was some seriously bad sailing from the guy doing the damage. There were plenty of escape routes to prevent the collision and he took none of them. It looked like his brain just went numb!!

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Deer in the headlights syndrome. It was not the owner driving.

I went to frostbite Etchells there around...2001 or so. There was just enough wind that you could stay absolutely still with the current, if you turn any direction (towards home for example) you got shot away. The three Etchells that had tried to sail, including us, had to be pulled back in by powerboat or get sent down the river. I still tell that story.

3055671928_6a42d2d72a.jpg

Relax, alright? My old man is a television repairman, and he has an ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

It looked like the guy wearing red sitting on the port rail on 1042 got a new one torn...

Did he come up pregnant or is he cruising with dual exhaust ports??

It looked like the guy wearing red sitting on the port rail on 1042 got a new one torn...

Did he come up pregnant or is he cruising with dual exhaust ports??

He never saw it coming, but I beleive the deck lifted a half and inch or so right below his blurter. Good mate, especially in a breeze, at 6'-5" and 265 lbs.

by my eye 573 was not in the 2 boatlength circle when the first two completed their tack. therefore 573 should have rights on stbd? 14 applies & 573 had plenty of room to avoid, but what am i missing in 18.2 & 18.3? is 573 considered overlapped?

flame on

post-13013-1227575505_thumb.jpg post-13013-1227574624_thumb.jpg

I don't think that'll buff out.

When you sail Etchells, T-bones happen. Often. The Association have a set of special moulds so they can rebuild the bows and repair the holed boats overnight at major regattas.

Exactly what I was thinking! Plenty of time and opportunity to avoid that prang.

Sailing in sub-zero (Celsius) conditions though... brain fart. Any alcohol involved?

I suspect a lot of the time that stuff happens it's because the driver

was focused on what the crew is doing.

by my eye 573 was not in the 2 boatlength circle when the first two completed their tack. therefore 573 should have rights on stbd? 14 applies & 573 had plenty of room to avoid, but what am i missing in 18.2 & 18.3? is 573 considered overlapped?

flame on

Get a brain-transplant

flame on

Get a brain-transplant

just seems to me 573 has rights other than 14-whats your point?

flame on

Get a brain-transplant

573 or 673, whichever it is, is not overlapped at all at the 2 boat length circle. He has no rights to go inside 1042, that's what Tacking was trying to tell you I believe. You started off okay with your rules but then you got them way wrong.

Exactly what I was thinking! Plenty of time and opportunity to avoid that prang.

Sailing in sub-zero (Celsius) conditions though... brain fart. Any alcohol involved?

No alcohol; I beleive that's a dry boat. Some of the others like Anheuseur Buttwipers, though.. :lol:

I prefer MGD in a can... :ph34r:

No alcohol; I beleive that's a dry boat. Some of the others like Anheuseur Buttwipers, though.. :lol:

I prefer MGD in a can... :ph34r:

So it was a brain fart... pretty bad one at that!

That guy know this guy? ;):lol:

post-4820-1227583501.jpg

flame on

Get a brain-transplant

573 or 673, whichever it is, is not overlapped at all at the 2 boat length circle. He has no rights to go inside 1042, that's what Tacking was trying to tell you I believe. You started off okay with your rules but then you got them way wrong.

What WCB said. In addition NOI, you should read 18.2 d, which says if there is any doubt that an overlap was obtained, then it should be assumed that it wasn't. Therefore the ramming boat was wrong on all counts and definitely had other options.

flame on

Get a brain-transplant

What WCB said. In addition NOI, you should read 18.2 d, which says if there is any doubt that an overlap was obtained, then it should be assumed that it wasn't. Therefore the ramming boat was wrong on all counts and definitely had other options.

The offending boat had plenty of room to keep clear...yet he didn't, I think "Deer in the headlights" fits best.

I hope they wait for spring before they try to repair the boat, unless they have a heated space.

There are two versions of rule 18. At the front of the fleet you ask for room and if the answert is no you bail right away. From the middle back, if the answer is no, they wait to see if it looks like there might be room there anyway and then try to poke it in. The wildly divergent conclusions drawn in the room of doom has kept this practice going.

Also, Etchells are great tracking boats. They are horrible turning boats. If you are new to the fleet, a couple of collisions are almost guaranteed.

Also, Etchells are great tracking boats. They are horrible turning boats. If you are new to the fleet, a couple of collisions are almost guaranteed.

Spin keel, fade rudder... :lol:

Spin keel, fade rudder... :lol:

I heard an Ethchels owner comment the other day: "I was day sailing my 40 foot cruiser today, and I noticed that it was more maneuverable than my Etchells!"

The best I ever heard was back in the depths of time when the ultra 30s were sailing at Stratchlyde park. Can't remember whether Lawrie Smith was the hitter or the hittee, but on account of the metal construction of the hulls, it made an outstanding clang....

So it was not SeaBass at the helm?

No, and that's not important - let's leave names out of this.

Everybody involved was very gracious after the initial bout with turrets.

"Tis a Flesh wound!" "Come back, I'll bite your knees off!"

honestly, glad everything worked out in a professional manner.

Both boats had all there winter gear on as if they were racing around the south pole. It seems to me that with all that gear on, that they all had the blinders on.

Both boats had all there winter gear on as if they were racing around the south pole. It seems to me that with all that gear on, that they all had the blinders on.

We sail from early-mid March until early December.

I personally don't like the cold weather at all, but you HTFU, or you leave the game....

WTF???? Scuttlefuck steals our video and posts on their front page with no credit to SA or the film crew??? Is Mr. Clean still a copyright lawyer???

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/media/08/1126/

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/archived...il.asp?key=4055

post-13013-1227575505_thumb.jpg post-13013-1227574624_thumb.jpg

I don't think that'll buff out.

When you sail Etchells, T-bones happen. Often. The Association have a set of special moulds so they can rebuild the bows and repair the holed boats overnight at major regattas.

And that's not the FIRST bandaid on this bow. Looks like a previous funky repair job on the nose. Maybe the Etchells should get some foam sailboard noses :P

Maybe the Etchells should get some foam sailboard noses :P

Maybe tires hanging off the front like tug boats........

At the major regattas, some new boats have removable fiberglass guards over the bow and stern. Kind of like a car bra, but narrow, just cover the edges.

WTF???? Scuttlefuck steals our video and posts on their front page with no credit to SA or the film crew??? Is Mr. Clean still a copyright lawyer???

Don't open that can of worms. SA does this all the time, often copying the text off another site.

We did a layup on a deck, covered the whole thing with a big cardboard box and poked a hair dryer thru a hole. Worked great. Ran that cheap dryer for about 8 hours... it never made any "fire smells" or anything. Those red IR lamps work well too...but ya gotta be super careful not to burn the boat.

Apparently the skipper of 643 was absent from sailing school the day they taught, "tiller towards trouble".

At the major regattas, some new boats have removable fiberglass guards over the bow and stern. Kind of like a car bra, but narrow, just cover the edges.

How about brittle breakaway sections like F1 cars!

Had to chime in on this one.

I was the helmsman on 1042 in the crunch video. Thank God that nobody was very seriously injured on our crew. Forward of me, everybody's back was to the incoming bow and had ?43 cleared our sheer the damage would have been to something with a heartbeat and not just a piece of plastic(and glass). The boat is repairable, hopefully. Do I care? Like I said noone was hurt. Safety First!!!!!!!

As for the jackass trying to read rule numbers from the NAYRU 1972 handbook as to what happened and who was wrong, they don't have the first *#^@%(# clue of what happened because that was a gybe not a tack.

Good Luck Sunday, stay warm

T

Oh yeah.

Deer in the headlights is a perfect description of what happened except I was the deer.

The other guy was the stoned engineer of an Amtrak train who fell asleep with his face on the throttle while pulling into station, with a deer through the windshield.

Apparently the skipper of 643 was absent from sailing school the day they taught, "tiller towards trouble".

no, he had that right. the problem was that trouble was straight ahead.

They change it?

I see credit & a link to RD's youtube page.

Don't open that can of worms. SA does this all the time, often copying the text off another site.

STFU tacking. You are dead wrong. Billy, send an email to scuttlebutt about permission if you want. He'll have to pull it. little late now tho.

We sail from early-mid March until early December.

I personally don't like the cold weather at all, but you HTFU, or you leave the game....

You're preaching to the quire, The gennesee river in rochester Ny is the only place that doesn't freeze on LO and that's where real frostbiting takes place. Southerners don't know what the fuck cold really is. I live in Florida now and I can't listen to it, not when people don't know what it's like to go out to your car in the morning and you can't find it because it's under eight feet of snow(oswego NY).

tool

Let's see now TboneT:

"Deer caught in the headlights" also entails the connotation that the "deer" is frozen in the exact wrong spot that it should be. Especially on a train track!! (helmsman's example, not mine)

Obviously this seems to be not the case but be careful (here) of your assimilations.

What is Tbone for anyway? You seem to have more experience on this matter?

Obviously this seems to be not the case but be careful (here) of your assimilations.

WTF??? That's damn funny. Metaphor maybe? Analogy? Perhaps you were trying for simile though even if spelled correctly would have still been wrong.