Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

Melges 32 Gold Cup - Day 1 Live!

Today is really going to be a panic - not only do we have Andy Burdick, VP of Melges, doing color commentary, but we've also got SA's own mainsheetgirl on scoring and time - and she's bringing the beer!

In the meantime, check out Melges Europe President and our good friend Federico Michetti, talking with us about the success of the Melges 20 and 32 in Europe, by the light of the pool at the Lauderdale Yacht Club.

Melges 32 – Pick 'Em

With all that's depressing in the world today, it's refreshing to see a bunch of hard core sailboat racer/owners saying “piss off” to the economy. It's even more poignant when the former 'king-of;the-hill' Farr 40 Class just finished a pathetic 8-boat North American Championship just down the road in Miami last week, underscoring the passing of the baton that's happened between the 40 and the M32 in 2008. The 32 is what's happening here in Fort Lauderdale, where twenty of the lightning-quick sportboats will square off Friday to Sunday for the Melges 32 Gold Cup.

We made it to the Lauderdale Yacht Club just in time to get some free beverages, and to watch the fireworks amongst the first ever Annual General Meeting of the newly ISAF-ratified International Melges 32 Class. AGMs are always interesting, and when you combine some serious 'Type-A' businessmen with the mellow vibe from Wisconsin boatbuilders, things get interesting – interesting enough for new-to-the-class owner John Kilroy to actually walk out. Kilroy was obviously frustrated at the meeting's lack of direction, but despite the Class's success, the 32 class is still figuring things out as they go. With Melges Europe President Federico Michetti explaining his formula for the success they've seen in Europe, the majority of the owners listened and offered their input to the scheduling and rules issues that the Class will work with over the coming months. Michetti may be the man to lead this class – he's got the kind of experience dealing with the kind of personalities that make up some of the bigger programs and as he's not afraid to admit, knows how to be an asshole when necessary - Neither Andy Burdick nor Harry Melges is quite so well equipped.

We are beyond stoked stoked to bring you all the live action from Lauderdale. It's going to be 75-80 degrees, with a moderate 8-12 knots most of the weekend, and we're expecting some ridiculously close racing from start to finish. It took the Farr 40 a decade to see the kind of parity that we'll see here – and you are all along for the ride.

Of course none of this would be possible without the support of our great sponsors: Latis Yachting Solutions, Point Loma Outfitting, and SLAM. They'll be checking in throughout the day, so please show them you appreciate their support of OTW Anarchy by clicking on their links and seeing what they have to offer.

Our Call

When Pinta, Mescalzone Latino, and Joe Fly's entries were canceled it messed up our mojo, so we've had to rethink our picks for the event.

Here are our revised picks, based on the entry list today.

Third: We see Jeff Ecklund on Star taking the tail end of the podium here in Liquordale. Though he has, by far, the most experienced M32 crew here, that experience will not necessarily translate into wins without a big breeze day to knock the newbies into place. Just pulling a third in this fleet will be an accomplishment, especially with the “curse of the organizer” that Ecklund's got to deal with.

Second: Morgan Reeser's got the hot hand lately, and calling tactics for quick helmsman Joe Woods aboard the GBR boat RED will be a quick combination. Morgan's also got a lot of local knowledge, and the team has at least one hot pommie sailor chick on board...that's always fast.

First: We picked an Italian boat to beat Quantum at the recent M24 NA's, and Terry Hutchinson made a fool of us, winning by over 30 points. There's just no way to look past the man this year in any racing class. That said, it's a world of difference when owners are helming, as seen last week when Barking Mad could barely manage a podium finish amongst only 8 Farr 40s despite the magic that Hutch brings. Still, along with Morgan Trubovich and long time Samba pro Eric Arndt, we expect John Kilroy to helm Samba Pa Ti to the top place in this moderate-air event.

Amateur Hour

We've got two sentimental favorites down here – one of them totally amateur, and one of them nearly. The boys from New Wave have Q sailmaker Scott Nixon on board, but otherwise, this is a no-pro boat. Co-owner Marty Kullman told us how the Wave rolls: “These teams have been here since Monday practicing, but we had to work! We rolled up tonight, put the boat together, and launched her on the ramp.” Kullman and co-owner Mike Carroll waxed the hull themselves. “How many owners are waxing their hulls themselves?” asked Kullman. Answer? None. Regardless of their largely Corinthian entry in the moderate breeze, we're looking for good things out of them. With an incredibly successful Henderson 30 program and lots of Melges 24 experience, look for New Wave to shine beyond a lot of the rock stars. The only completely amateur entry is Jason Carroll's Argo out of somewhere up north that is very cold right now. There are plenty of talented sailors aboard Argo, and Carroll's proven very fast in this fleet, most notably last year at Key West.

Eyes Out

You never know who will surprise you in a class that is this thick with talent, though we'd love to see our pal Jeremy Wilmot and the boys on Bliksem do well. Marco Constant and Willem Van Waay are awesome sailors, and owner Pieter Taselaar has shown plenty of speed at times.

Cleveland-based Lake Effect has added some raw skill from Canada, with superstar bowman Curtis Florence, rock star trimmer Greg Noakes, and tactician Max Skelley guaranteed to make things messy for some of the programs from more high-end hailing ports.

The most talented boat may just be Alex Jackson's Leenabarca, though we may just call her Speedboat this weekend for the hell of it. Jackson has some of his maxi crew aboard, including Anarchist Flip Wehrheim, though the real juice in the program comes from Jackson's skill (he was a multiple college all-american), Dave Ullman on tactics, and Brad Boston on speed.

However it turns out, it is sure to be close and exciting racing on a beautiful day in South Florida – be sure to watch it all in real time right here.

12/05/2008

Thanks Johnny. BTW, the LYC pours some scary drunks. Cheers to Lang Ryder and the other folks who put my big vodkas on their tabs - thanks for the hangover.

Forecast looks like 5-10 out of the east - Currently looks like 1.5knt out of the NE with higher pressure moving in...

Clean what's the actual wind looking like?

Whoa more weather data about S. Florida than anyone should have access to http://www.a1aweather.com/all-in-one.php

the site is kind of a train wreck, but who doesn't like a train wreck (besides the conductor)/

From the beach cams you can see the 32s heading out! Very cool stuff -

Wind is 8-10 knots NE, it's hot and beautiful, and we've already had a top come off on camera. It's going to be a good weekend!

While we wait for the start (20 mins or so), I just thought I'd give you another taste of Bora's sick video from Sydney Harbour yesterday. I think I've watched it ten times already.

Can y'all verify that you can read this thread?

While we wait for the start (20 mins or so), I just thought I'd give you another taste of Bora's sick video from Sydney Harbour yesterday. I think I've watched it ten times already.

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Can y'all verify that you can read this thread?

Working fine.

A lazy start for a LOT of boats - rusty? Jim Schwarz's Q with Gavin Brady on tactics, wins the pin by a long way, launched on the left, while Nitemare and dark& stormy go right, and find better breeze. Will angle or pressure prevail?

The guys on the right tacked in bigger pressure and crossed the boats on the left! NItemare is doing great now, D&S is hauling the mail. New Wave has big leverage now on the right after a left start, and if they can hold the angle they may lead into the mark! Samba and Ninkasi have committed to the left, we'll see how it goes. Vids going up now.

wow - great lesson on leverage here - Q rounds in the lead, with D& S just behind. Q had the pin, D&S had prssure.

Q

D&S

New Wave

Roxanne

Ninkasi

Arkle

Bliksem

Argo

Lake Effect

Nitemare

Star

Andy was quite tickled when he found out there were bare breasts behind him during that intro piece.

We're at the bottom mark now waiting for the guys. Pressure building slightly. Q still leading.

Andy was quite tickled when he found out there were bare breasts behind him during that intro piece.

We're at the bottom mark now waiting for the guys. Pressure building slightly. Q still leading.

LOL - 'tickled'

Bttom mark:

Q

New wave

D&S

Rosanne

Ninkasi

Bliksem

Arkle

Argo

Lake effect

Samba

Calvi

Nitemare

Bitipi

SHakedown

Taboo

T Hutch/Samba with a nice run, catching a lot of boats. Q goes to the left gate (looking upwind), rounds, then tacks to get out to the right where there's a bit more pressure.

Magpi - call me later. Me and the captain just started hitting the Grey Goose. Gonna be another rough night.

Top Mark:

Q still holds it, with New Wave making up some ground, then

Roxanne

D&S

Lake Effect

Bliksem

Arkle

Samba

Nitemare

Argo

Calvi

Ninkasi

Taboo

Race 1 Finish

Q

Roxanne takes out New Wave in the final quarter mile!

D&S

Lake Effect

Arkle

Blikesem

Nitemare

Samba

Calvi

Ninkasi

argo

Taboo

Speedbaot

Star

Red

Bitiipi

High LIfe

Barbarians

Shakedown.

So two top boats, star and red, buried in that one and couldn't seem to get anywhere. Wind still holding at 8 knots from 100 deg. Vids and pics coming.

Some shots for ya. BTW, Sharon Green's out here.

yo clean,

whats the distance to the top mark? and how many races are they doing today?

Hey bro - short course, 1 NM legs which barely give us time to get back and forth even in non-planing conditions. 3 or 4 races.

Bottom Mark, Race 1:

untitled_event_0.jpg

untitled_event_1.jpg

untitled_event_2.jpg

untitled_event_3.jpg

untitled_event_4.jpg

Thought jury duty would be a nightmare today...but thanks to Clean, it ain't so bad.

Way to go. Thank u for the updates sir!

OS

THey let you have your laptop during jury duty? Nice.

Thought jury duty would be a nightmare today...but thanks to Clean, it ain't so bad.

OS

I thought you were going to get out of jury duty? I guess your poker face isn't so good.

Between Bora's vid and these it's a nice day for sailing, even thought it's 20 degrees outside in the D.

I didn't need to here about the 120 cases of Heineken though, now I'm just green w/ envy.

We're waiting on the RC to figure out what the wind is doing, and there are a good dozen boats with press, photogs, and just floridians hanging out watching. I love it here in the winter!

i know i should have probably done my homework before spouting out this question but here goes.

what are the differences in campaigning a melges 32 versus a farr 40? sails, shipping, crew, event locations, etc.? oh yeah, only answer this between races because the OTW coverage is awesome and I don't want it neglected.

OS

I thought you were going to get out of jury duty? I guess your poker face isn't so good.

Between Bora's vid and these it's a nice day for sailing, even thought it's 20 degrees outside in the D.

I didn't need to here about the 120 cases of Heineken though, now I'm just green w/ envy.

Easiest way to get out of jury duty is to sneak in this phrase in somewhere during the Q&A "Of course he's guilty, they wouldn't have arrested him if if wasn't"

i know i should have probably done my homework before spouting out this question but here goes.

what are the differences in campaigning a melges 32 versus a farr 40? sails, shipping, crew, event locations, etc.? oh yeah, only answer this between races because the OTW coverage is awesome and I don't want it neglected.

Go back to regular SA and ask or just search the question. It has been asked a bunch of times.

Go back to regular SA and ask or just search the question. It has been asked a bunch of times.

no worries. just was thinking out loud and thought between races i could learn something. i figured the answer was already discussed alot.

Walked out of my Ocean Wave Mechanics final and watched the start..... looked like nightmare near the pin, the slam guys (forget which boat that is) near the boat

crowded pin, with Bitipi OCS as well as Taboo. Ninkasa looks great on the right, with Barbarians a little higher ans slower to weather.

Bottom Mark - sorry the vids are taking so long!

Calvi

Star

D&S

Samba

Speedboat

Red

Shakedown

Q

Lake Effect

Highlife.

Great move by Star! Ecklund takes the right gate while the leading italians go left, the italians get stuck under everyone's kites while Harry and Jeff power off to the right, and cross ahead now!

it is HOT down here in the cabin - and I'm still not done with my hangover, and neither is the skipper.

Big powerboat just went right above windward mark throwing huge wake... that sucks!

Don't they have a club boat doing "Rodney Patrol"?

Calvi in second touches the offset, and Hutch behind catches sight of it, screaming at 'em! Calvi takes their turns and gets rolled by D&S as well. Dark & Stormy might just lead after this race.

Race 2 pics,

Final top mark:

Star

Calvi

Samba

D&S

Speedboat

Q

Shakedown

Red

Barbarians

Arkle

Ninkasi

Bitipi

New Wave

Lake Effect

Roxanne

Highlife

Nitemare

Clean, what power boat are you on out there?

Hey bro - we're on a blue convertible fishing boat with two big black Merc outboards.

Last_Import_0.jpg

Last_Import_18.jpg

Last_Import_1.jpg

Last_Import_17.jpg

Last_Import_2.jpg

Last_Import_16.jpg

Last_Import_3.jpg

Last_Import_15.jpg

Last_Import_4.jpg

Last_Import_14.jpg

Last_Import_5.jpg

Last_Import_13.jpg

Last_Import_6.jpg

Last_Import_12.jpg

Last_Import_7.jpg

Last_Import_11.jpg

Last_Import_8.jpg

Last_Import_10.jpg

Tom Neil isn't driving Nitemare is he? or is it his daughter?

Great shots by the way, Mer's new equipment is rockin!

Tom's not driving, he's in less than desirable shape to sail the 32. His wife Amy is on the boat.

Finish:

Star

Samba

Calvi

D&S

Sppedboat

Q

Red

Shakedown

Barbarians

Arkle

Bitipi

Ninkasi

New Wave

Roxanne

Lake Effect

Nitemare

Taboo

Bliksem

Highlife

Argo.

Finish was rad, very close! Video loading.

Tom's not driving, he's in less than desirable shape to sail the 32. His wife Amy is on the boat.

I kinda figured that, Andy in one of the vids made reference to Tom on Nitemare.

To Tom!

Guys, if you're not registered and signed up as a member, you can't see the thumbnails of the pics - it makes it much nicer to view when you can see those, so register. We won't sell your info - not unless we get LOTS of money. ;)

Final shots from race 2:

I'm thinking of getting in the water at the top mark to shoot the action from the wet side...not sure if I'm brave enough today tho...

Last_Import_0.jpg

Last_Import_1.jpg

Last_Import_7.jpg

Last_Import_2.jpg

Last_Import_6.jpg

Last_Import_3.jpg

Last_Import_5.jpg

Last_Import_4.jpg

Final shots from race 2:

I'm thinking of getting in the water at the top mark to shoot the action from the wet side...not sure if I'm brave enough today tho...

Ahh C'mon Man - Get in there!!

Star punches out on the heavily favored left side, speed and position all the way! Calvi further to the left but slower and stalled. Barbarians down at the boat again, tacking over right away.