Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

Melges 32 Gold Cup - Day 1 Live!

Only 2 "AYE's"' ??....I guess no one wants to see M32 keels and rudders ripping through the water at mark roundings - Tssk Tssk Tssk

Aye.... get in the water inside the course around the offset mark.. That's no mans land for boats and should be pretty safe.

He will be run over....it will be a first person snuff film for sure.

Considering the shark action around here, a bloody head wound would be interesting.

Only 2 "AYE's"' ??....I guess no one wants to see M32 keels and rudders ripping through the water at mark roundings - Tssk Tssk Tssk

Aye.... get in the water inside the course around the offset mark.. That's no mans land for boats and should be pretty safe.

He will be run over....it will be a first person snuff film for sure.

Considering the shark action around here, a bloody head wound would be interesting.

Volusia County, FL is ranked #1 worldwide for shark attacks, South Carolina isn't far behind...

GET IN THE WATER CLEAN...I DOUBLE DOGFISH DARE YA

Place 1: Shark Attacks in Volusia County, Fla.

It may seem strange for the No. 2 dangerous spot to outrank the No. 1 most dangerous spot in number of attacks; South Africa, as we mentioned, boasts 214 attacks and 42 fatalities, while Volusia County, Florida ranks just behind with 210 attacks since 1882, none of them fatal [source: ISAF]. Yet what’s worth remembering here is that South Africa’s attacks occurred over 2,798 miles (4,503 kilometers) of coastline, while these 210 attacks occurred in a single county.

Anthony Ong/Digital Vision/Getty Images

With more people interested in surfing, there are more people in the water.

Indeed, at New Smyrna Beach, located in Volusia, there are more incidents per square mile than on any other beach in the world [source: Luscombe]. If you’ve been swimming at New Smyrna, you’ve probably been within 10 feet (3 meters) of a shark [source: Regenold]. These distinctions have earned New Smyrna Beach the nickname “Shark Attack Capital of the World.”

Are the people swimming at New Smyrna Beach particularly delicious? Are the sharks hungrier here? While the area is home to many baitfish, a common prey for these sharks, the real reason for the high number of attacks is simply the number of people in the water. Swimmers and fishermen flock to these waters, and the beaches in this county are some of the most popular in the state for surfing [sources: Lursson, Canedy].

Being known as the “shark attack capital of the world” doesn’t seem to dissuade surfers and swimmers, though. In fact, the deputy beach chief reported that when he closes the beaches following shark sightings and attacks, he receives angry voice mail messages [source: Canedy]. That may be because attacks in Volusia County are fairly mild and are usually just minor bites. Some shark attack victims even drive themselves to the hospital [sources: Taylor, Eckinger].

Clean,

did you get a chance to see what the turnout for the race to W Palm Beach looked like ? Looks like they have a slow pace uphill again.

In water video loading. No Melgi, just a test. Screw sharks - let 'em try to bite me.

Clean, you shouldn't have a problem....they only go after "big Bait"..... :P

In water video loading. No Melgi, just a test. Screw sharks - let 'em try to bite me.

are they flying sharks?

do they have laser beams?

thats FRIKIN' laser beams -

Finishes:

New Wave

Calvi

Samba

Red

Ninkasi

Bliksem

Q

Shakedown

Speedboat

STar

Roxanne

Bitipi

Arkle

Nitemare

Lake Effect

Barbarians

Taboo

High Life

Dark & STormy

Argo

BTW, Tom Neill is out here spectating. Guy has got some will, that's for sure.

FInal Top Mark:

Finish videos loading now - it's hot as hell, that dip in the ocean was just what I needed. Water's about 76 degrees.

Tomorrow we have two really interesting things - first, the kiddies will be racing - 20 junior sailors will be split up between the fleet, getting a taste for these boats. Mac Agnese, 2005 Melges World Champ with James Spithill (he raced at 80 lbs), is one of them. I'll post the whole list later - it's an awesome idea, and we can't say enough about how psyched these kids are.

The other fun thing (besides the racing action) will be my underwater shots. It might just be a one-time gimmick, but it might be really cool.

What the hell else are you gonna do?

Tomorrow we have two really interesting things - first, the kiddies will be racing - 20 junior sailors will be split up between the fleet, getting a taste for these boats. Mac Agnese, 2005 Melges World Champ with James Spithill (he raced at 80 lbs), is one of them. I'll post the whole list later - it's an awesome idea, and we can't say enough about how psyched these kids are.

The other fun thing (besides the racing action) will be my underwater shots. It might just be a one-time gimmick, but it might be really cool.

more bewbies?

more bewbies?

2nd - all those in favor?

Results:

1. Q, USA007, Jim Swartz/Gavin Brady - 1, 6, 7, ; 14

2. Samba Pa Ti, USA13131, John Kilroy, Jr./Terry Hutchinson - 9, 2, 3, ; 14

3. CALVI Network, ITA186, Carlo Alberini/Gabriele Benussi - 10, 3, 2, ; 15

4. New Wave, USA131, Marty Kullman/ Mike Carroll/Scott Nixon - 3, 13, 1, ; 17

5. STAR, USA32, Jeff Ecklund/Harry Melges, III - 15, 1, 10, ; 26

6. roXanne, USA77, Kip Meadows - 2, 14, 11, ; 27

7. Dark n' Stormy, USA151, Edward Tillinghast - 4, 4, 19, ; 27

8. Red, GBR700, Joe Woods/Morgan Reeser - 16, 7, 4, ; 27

9. Leenabarca, USA666, Alex Jackson/Dave Ullman - 14, 5, 9, ; 28

10. Ninkasi, USA131, John Taylor/Anthony Kotoun - 11, 12, 5, ; 28

11. Arkle, CAN134, Kate Mullin/Richard Clark - 6, 10, 13, ; 29

12. Bliksem, USA169, Pieter Taselaar/Jeremy Wilmot - 7, 17, 6, ; 30

13. Lake Effect, USA153, Bob Hesse/Max Skelley - 5, 15, 15, ; 35

14. Shakedown, USA178, Geoff Pierini/Charlie Ogletree - 20, 8, 8, ; 36

15. Nitemare, USA136, Tom Neill/Bill Faude/Jeff Madragali - 8, 16, 14, ; 38

16. Bitipi, MON1999, Savino Formentini - 17, 11, 12, ; 40

17. Team Barbarians, GBR84845, Stuart Simpson - 19, 9, 16, ; 44

18. Taboo, USA158, Stephen Pugh/Seadon Wijsen - 13, 18, 18, ; 49

19. Argo, USA128, Jason Carroll - 12, 20, 20, ; 52

20. Highlife, GBR121, Peter Rogers/Kevin Harrapp - 18, 19, 17, ; 54

Last_Import_17.jpg

Last_Import_16.jpg

more bewbies?

I'm always in favor on nakid chicks and random flashing. But i dont think that flashed counted as adult tatas...nothing wrong with the IBTC, I just dont like it when they are smaller than my man boobs.

Do it in Scuba gear. More comfy, more time, relaxed shots floating at 8' under. What does a 32 draw, 7 feet?

We are headed to the dock, and I'm going to track down a few guys for the camera. Be back in a bit.

Thanks to all of you for tuning in - please spread the word, and come watch us the rest of the weekend!

Thanks to Latis Yachting Solutions for being so good to us, and to Melges Performance Sailboats' Andy Burdick for spending 8 hours on the water with us today. Andy did a great job commentating, and given the way I felt this morning, I needed his help desperately. We'll see what we can come up with for you tomorrow.

fukin brilliant, clean. havent gotten a damn thing done at the office.

---------

know you dont mind a couple well intended pointers-

-pics could be cleaned up a bit (color balance, contrast, or something)

-does this thread have to be buried 3 deep in subsections?

-for those of us that go for the curvier ladies, please track down some larger sweater pups this evening

Mac, if you read this, you're a fucken lucky sonaofbitch! dammit!

Dan

29er 201

oh, and aye for more tits...

Nice work Clean.

We are headed to the dock, and I'm going to track down a few guys for the camera. Be back in a bit.

Thanks to all of you for tuning in - please spread the word, and come watch us the rest of the weekend!

Thanks to Latis Yachting Solutions for being so good to us, and to Melges Performance Sailboats' Andy Burdick for spending 8 hours on the water with us today. Andy did a great job commentating, and given the way I felt this morning, I needed his help desperately. We'll see what we can come up with for you tomorrow.

Great job, hope to see you and Mer up here. check your messages. Clive

more bewbies?

I'm always in favor on nakid chicks and random flashing. But i dont think that flashed counted as adult tatas...nothing wrong with the IBTC, I just dont like it when they are smaller than my man boobs.

For shame, you large moobed party pooper. I think MSG has very nice tits, and I commend her for being one of the few ladies here at SA to share her puppies with the rest of the class.

Do not discourage random boob flashing. It is not good for the sport.

Thanks all. Good interviews loading up now, and then I need to write a little front page update, and then I think I'm going to call it a night. Last night killed me, I never really recovered today, and frankly Andy saved my ass by being really psyched to talk on the camera and really good. We don't have andy tomorrow, so I've got to get a little sleep so I can make this fun for everyone.

The competition helps - the scores are super close, with multiple ties, so it should be pretty exciting even if nothing more than 7 knots shows up again. Weather is showing maybe some decent breeze on Sunday...

We really appreciate your spending time watching OTW Anarchy today, and we do want your help - please let your sailing friends know about our report this weekend. We've got some stuff to give away, and if you were one of the winners of our Coral Reef giveaways in Annapolis, PM me again with your name address, and a link to what you did to win so I can get those out.

One more thing: The Girls of Fort Lauderdale is going to be a good thread. It starts tomorrow night.

It was awesome to have you out there msg, tomorrow should be more fun.

We caught up with Jeff Ecklund after racing and had him explain how their mandatory "take a junior sailor racing" day was born and how it works. Jeff once ran the Melges 24 Class, and now he's the President of the newly ISAF approved international M32 class. Here he is:

tech question, why can I see the pictures and the video a box show up with a litte icon in the upper left corner, what program do I not have loaded?

I know I am asking for abuse

Nice job Clean! Man, the M32s are slippery in the light breeze eh. It's scary how nimble they are. Anyone know how they rate under IRC?

tech question, why can I see the pictures and the video a box show up with a litte icon in the upper left corner, what program do I not have loaded?

If you are loggged in when you are watching - you should be able to see the pics and video...IS that it?

I don't get your question, cove. Did you mean that you can't see the pics and vids? Can you see them on youtube?

Nice.

There's some trouble brewing between the Class secretary and SA again...I'm trying to save her from herself at the moment, but I don't think it's gonna work.

People are just so stupid sometimes. Going to open today's thread now, thanks for reading so far, everyone.

What?!! ... The M32 class? Your coverage yesterday was great! No bashing of the RC or Class. What gives?

C'Mon Clean give us the full report

jeez Vegas...can't you just STFU and let Clean do his thing?

your comments are like speed bumps on the way to somewhere important!

Fuck off Newbie.

I, of course, appreciate the high praise, but quit cloggin up the site with redundant comments.

Perhaps the Ed can streamline the process by having an automatic "fuck off newbie" response to the newbies's first 100 posts.

Our entire team wants to thank all of your for reading this report so religiously and thoroughly. We do our best to bring you the flavor and action from these events, and the number of you who commit to sitting and reading through the entire thing - even on a weekend - is just awesome.

We also want to thank you for the thousands of hits to our advertisers' websites and the emails and comments you've sent to us and to them. When you let Tom Carruthers (PLO), John Woodruff (Latis), or Filippo Bovio (SLAM) know that you appreciate their support of OTW Anarchy, it justifies the time, money, and freebies that they spend on these events. If you haven't done it yet, and whether you actually buy something from them or just familiarize yourselves with their products, please spend a few minutes on each of our supporters' websites. We're just getting our Key West production together now, and every hit they get will help them to see OTW Anarchy as the best bang for their advertising dollar there is.

We are going to try some new things at this year's Key West Race Week, and we need happy sponsors to make them happen. Please help us keep OTW Anarchy at the cutting edge of regatta reporting. And thanks.

P.S. Mer is working on her sailor chick shots from the event tonight - including a Sailor Chick of the Week - so check back later.

OTW PARTNERS

LATIS YACHTING SOLUTIONS

Licensed, bonded, and insured regatta logistics for racing teams from dinghies to Farr 40s. John Woodruff, President (and Mumm 30/Melges 24 racer): "Whether you are an owner, team manager, or event organizer, you can count on Latis' experience, equipment and ability to take care of every detail for your next big regatta. We are not simple cargo carriers - we are a company of racers and sailors, and we treat your equipment with the same care we treat our own."

POINT LOMA OUTFITTING

This San Diego shop founded by Michigan transplant and massively experienced sailor Tom Carruthers (with the great Anarchist name of THC) specializes in the best apparel for life on the water. Not just the best in San Diego, but the country – selling only top performance wear makers SLAM, Camet, Patagonia and Puma. PLO is a proud member of One Percent for the Planet. Please see our environmental policy on how we care for the Planet.

SLAM - Advanced Technology Sportswear

SLAM clothing brings style and innovation to the outdoor performance clothing market. SLAM has long been attentive to product innovation, to the extent that they have made hi-tech their vocation. They have preserved their original pioneering spirit, to constantly explore whatever is new and to continually strive to produce avant-garde materials and achieve an improvement in the quality of garments.