Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest a sailmaker

best place to live to sail full time

Guest a sailmaker

okay

next year i want to spend the winter somewhere warm, living on one boat and training full time on a laser.

whats the best locale, esp. for wind, regattas, competitive laser fleet, etc.? the sky is the limit, anywhere i decide to live i can pretty much just do it, so europe or australia wouldnt be out of the question, but in the states would be nice.

where are the hot olympic laser dudes spending their winters?

You might want to think about NZ. good wind, great people, low cost compared to USD, lots of public access to the water.

There is a pretty big tidal range (approx. 2 - 3 meters), and I think you may be limited by the NZ govt. on how much time you can spend there...

Go to Rio!!!

-Breeze all around the year

-Warm temperatures

-Small living costs

-Competitive laser, snipe, star, J24 and IMS fleets

For sure you are going to have a great time there!!!

post-1-1075149824.jpg

Sydney, Oz, is a candidate.

About 200+ Lasers racing each weekend (in many small fleets) from the bronze medallist down. The standard of the state district is high - I added up the number of times NSW sailors have placed in the top 5 of the worlds in the last decade, and the result was that NSW state was almost as strong as the entire USA and English fleets. Most days you'll get someone like Blackburn or Kevin Lim (Malaysian Olympic rep, about 17th in 2000 games) to train with.