Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cbrown1567

Mumm 30 / M30 / Farr 30 Anarchy

In the spirit of Chicago; Lake Erie; Santa Barbara; FT 10; Sport Boat Anarchy, I propose a forum for anyone in the class to post anything relevant. This is also due to our friends at Stagg not doing anything that I know of to not only maintain interest, but generate interest in the class. :angry:

1st Topic: 2009 Schedule

What is everone thinking right now? There is nothing on the class website, not even Key West or Miami. The NOOD schedule is posted, so we have something to start with. Should we plan on Annapolis NOODS again?

In the spirit of Chicago; Lake Erie; Santa Barbara; FT 10; Sport Boat Anarchy, I propose a forum for anyone in the class to post anything relevant. This is also due to our friends at Stagg not doing anything that I know of to not only maintain interest, but generate interest in the class. :angry:

1st Topic: 2009 Schedule

What is everone thinking right now? There is nothing on the class website, not even Key West or Miami. The NOOD schedule is posted, so we have something to start with. Should we plan on Annapolis NOODS again?

Hopefully we can get some decent numbers there again this year

Hey, I'd consider Annap NOOD if I didn't have tO pay $600 to the dysfunctional class government (government as a pejorative). Think about it.

It's a NOOD regatta, screw the weigh in too ! Hey, if you want 3000 lbs of crew weight for a regatta, do it, just hope it's not light air.

If a Forum here takes and puts legs on a grass roots version of the class (a shadow class perhaps), you may have done more for the class than our 'Leaders and pro managemant' have in the 4 years I've owned my "whatever 30"

Rock on.

Hey, I'd consider Annap NOOD if I didn't have tO pay $600 to the dysfunctional class government (government as a pejorative). Think about it.

It's a NOOD regatta, screw the weigh in too ! Hey, if you want 3000 lbs of crew weight for a regatta, do it, just hope it's not light air.

If a Forum here takes and puts legs on a grass roots version of the class (a shadow class perhaps), you may have done more for the class than our 'Leaders and pro managemant' have in the 4 years I've owned my "whatever 30"

Rock on.

I am going to put my 2 cents in on this on 2 different replies to hopefully generate more responses specific to your points...

I agree completely on the class fees issue. What the hell are they doing with the $600/boat/year? It is not going to marketing in print or for updating the class web site.

I believe this was a bone of contention last year when the anarchy with some of the owners started after the 2007 Worlds. I wonder what happened?

Rock on.

Topic #2: Weigh Ins / Max. Crew weight

I disagree with you on this. We might as well sail PHRF if we are all not going to adhere to some sort of standards. That being said, I would not mind seeing an increase in the max. crew eight allowed. 1155 is little on the light side if you ask me. Sure you could load up 6 guys averaging 192# each, but I think the boat does need 7. We balance our 195# guys with a bunch of light gals so that we can sail with 7. It also breaks up the sausage fest.

Chime in on how your team handles this...

Have been in the class for along time , won 2 world titles and many other regattas around the world. There is nothing wrong with the class rules, its not the wild west you can not start changing rules because your crew is to heavy or to light, these rules are used around the world and they work. The problem with the class is how it is run, the only people who can change that is the owners, this is a good start.

A questionaire is going to be sent out asking each owner what events they would like to see on the schedule. There will mostly be 3 regions for the class. West coast, mid west and east with events being held in all 3 regions. Key West and Miami have generated low interest this year. The Annapolis NOOD always gets a large turnout so this will most likely be the 1st major class event. Block Island Race Week in June is the next major event being proposed. They have given us a start with a minimum of 8 boats. I think this will get a large turn out. From there I do not know what events are considering in July and Aug. I do know that Annapolis is also being proposed for the North American Championship to be held in the Fall. From Annapolis, the boats can stay until the trip to Key West for the 2010 KWRW.

I suggest that you sent Stagg and the class management your list of events that you would like to see included in 2010.

We will be one of the few boats to travel to KWRW this year. We have not given up on the class.

Amusing to see the number of posts of these "whatever 30" owners.

8, 32, 44, 30, 157, 52

Barely involved in SA at all.

8, 32, 44, 30, 157, 52

are you kidding me, we are trying to do some good things for the class, and all you can write is how many posts each one of us has.

GET A LIFE

8, 32, 44, 30, 157, 52

Time to move on from thinking that quantity equates to quality.

have you banned that fuckstick POD from the class yet? if no, please call again after you will have done it.

s.

really?

8, 32, 44, 30, 157, 52

I would be curious of the 75 posts that you are avergaing a year, how many have anything interesting to say. Do you just jump around forums and put lame comments in, or do you have contribute anything of value?

2 of my 30 some posts have ended up on the front page, so I would hardly say that I am not involved. I just choose carefully what I am going to post.

The idea of this forum was to start things up, bring up class issues, discuss boat set up ups, etc. The last thing we want here is you trying to haze us. Feel free to view what we say here, but leave that kind of crap out. Congrats on getting 1 more post, you are so much more involved with SA now.

"Feel free to view what we say here, but leave that kind of crap out."

My god you are sensitive! My observation is so incredibly tame.

Wait 'til the real low-lifes get going.

and what about this Podthejerkski thing?

"Feel free to view what we say here, but leave that kind of crap out."

My god you are sensitive! My observation is so incredibly tame.

Wait 'til the real low-lifes get going.

and what about this Podthejerkski thing?

The observation was tame, but lame also. Why even look to see what status someone is, or how many posts they have?

As for POD, I don't have any issues with him, therefore I am not going to criticize him. I have raced against him numerous times and had no problems. I would love to know his side of the story on the lawsuit, but numerous people have tried to get him to talk and he won't. All I know is that he attends the majority of the regattas in our class and has been doing so for years. I believe he does a lot of Melges 24 events also. He deserves credit for that.

8, 32, 44, 30, 157, 52

I can help with that ratio, even though I am crew and not an owner. <_<

Downtown..good thread. I'll point Papa Punch to it. The new mast is in and various crew have been sailing here in Solomons and tuning.

Racing with a sausage fest of 6 is tough..but we have a couple of 'bigger than 192#' boys on the boat too, so we have to work hard to get 7 on board. I help that ratio the other way too, but not much.

We haven't given up on the class either. I'd even join the class as a 'crew' if they had that membership level so I could voice my opinions. It is hard to bitch and feel like I can complain when all I do is pull that big-ass kite up and down, and there is no option to be involved.

See you in KeyWest? Be sure to say hello.

8, 32, 44, 30, 157, 52

Downtown..good thread. I'll point Papa Punch to it. The new mast is in and various crew have been sailing here in Solomons and tuning.

Racing with a sausage fest of 6 is tough..but we have a couple of 'bigger than 192#' boys on the boat too, so we have to work hard to get 7 on board. I help that ratio the other way too, but not much.

We haven't given up on the class either. I'd even join the class as a 'crew' if they had that membership level so I could voice my opinions. It is hard to bitch and feel like I can complain when all I do is pull that big-ass kite up and down, and there is no option to be involved.

I was wondering when you were going to come in and lend some veteran posting experiencing to the thread.

I am not an owner, just the self appointed head cheerleader for all of the common people that love this boat. I like your idea about a membership level, but that money would probably just go to waste. Let's stick with this forum for now to see what we can do.

No Key West for us. Still paying off the bar tabs from Newport from hanging with you guys at NYAC.

Also, I have on the water pics from when your mast broke. PM me if you want them.

Thanks for the support.

Find a waif for guy trim / sewer, good spots are from local bars, chandlers, coffee shops, etc; train them up and you have a light 7th.

You can join as alt. driver. Not that you'll have a voice, though that seems to differ little from being an owner.

Still the best 30' range OD class ever created. Shame to see the class continue to decline.

Racing with a sausage fest of 6 is tough..but I help that ratio the other way.

:o

WTF are you talking about HB? Are you saying you are playing for the other team??? Some sort of modified sausage rule on the sausage laden Punch? Mrs. Bitches is not going to happy. I mean I am all for that "when in Rome" stuff but considering it is Key West I think you are taking it a bit far and I am a bit freaked out... :lol:

8, 32, 44, 30, 157, 52

Just when you got out of a dying (dead) class, you guys jumped right into another dying one. Should have kept the 29, cheaper sails, and you'd still have Espo to bust your balls! :lol:

A questionaire is going to be sent out asking each owner what events they would like to see on the schedule. There will mostly be 3 regions for the class. West coast, mid west and east with events being held in all 3 regions. Key West and Miami have generated low interest this year. The Annapolis NOOD always gets a large turnout so this will most likely be the 1st major class event. Block Island Race Week in June is the next major event being proposed. They have given us a start with a minimum of 8 boats. I think this will get a large turn out. From there I do not know what events are considering in July and Aug. I do know that Annapolis is also being proposed for the North American Championship to be held in the Fall. From Annapolis, the boats can stay until the trip to Key West for the 2010 KWRW.

I suggest that you sent Stagg and the class management your list of events that you would like to see included in 2010.

We will be one of the few boats to travel to KWRW this year. We have not given up on the class.

Thanks for the info.

The regional divisions make sense, I just don't understand why it is taking so long to get anything organized. The Farr 40 web site(Stagg Managed) has a bunch of regattas already listed. Ours has nothing. Being that most of the out of town stuff can cost a team anywhere from $3K to $7K, it would be nice to know well ahead of time so that we can not only budget, but also request time off work, etc.

As for Key West and Miami...there is enough being said on the other forums on why attendance is down at these events. Maybe we should look at Charlston or another regatta that has something besides upwind/downwind racing to add a little spice to the weekend.

We are looking forward to Annapolis this Spring. A Fall regatta would something else to look forward to. I'm sure Annapolis would be great for that also, although they will have a hard act to follow after what we got in Newport in October.

Thanks again.

Why not just make a simple website for the class? Ya know - the unauthorized, unofficial place to go for all things Mumm/M/Farr 30? It doesn't take a huge commitment to get a simple site up.

Why not just make a simple website for the class? Ya know - the unauthorized, unofficial place to go for all things Mumm/M/Farr 30? It doesn't take a huge commitment to get a simple site up.

We've got one in Australia though it is authorised and official in that we are affiliated as a class association with Yachting Australia. Nevertheless it has been set up by the owners as a group and any Yachting Australia member can contribute to the forums.

Now that introductions are out of the way, I am very interested in these boats.

How do you convince me to buy one? I've read the threads on the deck thing and it seems you can't buy a new one (true?)

It is a great alternative to the stupidly expensive M32, or the F40 I often sail on. But it is hard to pull the trigger with all the negatives floating about. Including this thread...........

How do you convince me to buy one? I've read the threads on the deck thing and it seems you can't buy a new one (true?)

It is a great alternative to the stupidly expensive M32, or the F40 I often sail on. But it is hard to pull the trigger with all the negatives floating about. Including this thread...........

Sucking and blowing in the same thread, now that's a great way to introduce yourself.

All the negatives floating around? I suggest you get yourself on a Farr30, with a half decent crew, and go fly a masthead kite in 20knots of breeze.

In fact, if you'd like to see some positives, have a look at this -

- give it 30 seconds to get to the nice part... Watch the whole thing, and then come back here and talk about negatives.

You can buy new ones, US Watercraft just took over building them so it's a stateside affair now, used to be DK in Europe. They tend to only build them when they get an order for 2 or more, contact them and they will tell you what the outlook is. Buying used can be a good deal, euro and pound is dropping in value so you may find a decent boat that has been campaigned in the Tour to ship stateside.

Mumm30 is not a cheap boat. To sail to it's rating you will need to have the full compliment of sails; AP Main, J1, J2, J3, super light A1, S1, S2 and the fractional chicken chute. Mains do not tend to last more than a season for OD racing, 2 for handicap. Class rules limit sail purchases so you need to have handicap sails and buttoned class sails if you want to be OD competitive. Boat is rare in that it takes a full competent crew who will always be busy during the entire race, no pure rail meat in this 30'r.

Biggest grins per nm of any boat this size. I'm including Hendo's, Melgi, SR's in this comparison, from experience. Some of them are faster but the M30 reigns as the best boat to show crew skill and have a lot of fun at the same time.

OK.....last try.......

I know the boat is a superb machine. Got it.

Now why should I buy one if the the class is a shadow of its' former self, older boats have problems, blah, blah, blah......

I mean come on. I like em!

Thanks Neutral....you posted before I clicked on mine.

Boat handles well for 30', big boat manners, little boat maneuverability. Not tender like many boats in this speed range and a good mainsail trimmer makes a huge difference. It's hard to believe this boat was designed at the height of IMS, it doesn't sail like it.

I was at Waterline Systems (US Watercraft) in Newport, RI last month where they build new F30's. There were two in the lot just finished and two more in production on the factory floor. I crawled arond on one of the new ones and was very impressed with the build and finish quality. If you are in the market, talk with Randy Borges 401-682-1661.

Here on the West coast, we have been enjoying some momentum and growth. I think some of the class sparkplugs have said "this is a great boat and you should get one! We agreed and got one.

Our schedule this year includes local Santa Monica bay racing, highlighted by Long Beach Race weekend, Ditch Run, Ensenada as the feeder to Yachting Cup in San Diego. And the Santa Barbara to King Harbor event, where last year we saw boat speed in the high teens.

The fleet has a new member, he is shipping a boat from back East. This newest active member will be boat #8 we hope to have a couple of new playmates by end of summer to make 10.

At this point, the fleet of 6 have bottom painted the boats, and they are stored in the water. I personally like this arrangement, as I believe it keeps the boats even and makes them much easer to play with.

Internationally, we have been underwhelmed, with a huge yearly entry fee and no one minding the store. We have felt a little independent, and have sailed with 7 ignoring the class weight limit. I do think just about every West coast team has easily two females, as does our team. We like girls.

After years of sailing traditional boats, the 30 is a breath of fresh air with a great balance of cost vs fun. I highly recommend joining the West Coast fleet.

Adrenalin is planning on doing Annapolis Nood, Block island. Other than that we dont know yet. I guess it depends on when the NAs are scheduled and where. Annapolis would be great.

The BC fleet (currently 6 boats) has the following events scheduled for 2009:

• March 28/29 Harken VARC Opener Regatta RVYC
    June 27/28 WAVES Regatta RVYC
    September 12/13 Martin Marine Deep Cove Regatta DCYC
    September 26/27 Thunderbird Marine Supplies Howe Sound Regatta WVYC
    October 24/25 Lewmar VARC Closer Regatta RVYC

What aboutthe rumor that the B.C. boats might rendevous with the So. Cal. Fleet at Big Boat Series....Would this be the Pacific Coast Champs? :ph34r:

OK.....last try.......

Now why should I buy one if the the class is a shadow of its' former self, older boats have problems, blah, blah, blah......

The best way to convince you would to put you on one for a couple of test sails in all of the conditions. Just like the Viper class, I'm sure we can find an owner that is close to you that would take you out.

Not knowing your budget, you might want to check the SA Classified section, there are 2 for sale. PM anyone that has been posting and they can point you in the right direction as for the test ride.

Good idea, but why should we have to do that when we have a perfectly good site that is not being used? I hate to keep complaining about Stagg, but aren't they supposed to do that? No one wants to bring doom and unmitgated failure on themselves for going against management too much, so I guess this little forum will have to do for now.

Since you have pull with the ED and I know you are a fan of the boat, maybe you can get us to a more prominent spot on SA?

OK, can we get back to the 2009 schedule? Whose going to BIRW?

MUMMBLES is planning on going. An initial poll was taken summer 08 and 8 boats committed. We need to officially make it an event to start the planning. Housing is not easy on Block Island.

OK.....last try.......

The best way to convince you would to put you on one for a couple of test sails in all of the conditions. Just like the Viper class, I'm sure we can find an owner that is close to you that would take you out.

Not knowing your budget, you might want to check the SA Classified section, there are 2 for sale. PM anyone that has been posting and they can point you in the right direction as for the test ride.

Mulligan from Annapolis is in excellent condition. The deck was redone 2 years ago and the topsides repainted.

OK.....last try.......

Mulligan from Annapolis is in excellent condition. The deck was redone 2 years ago and the topsides repainted.

Mulligan is a steal at $60K.

I don't have a horse in this race. I read the thread out of curiosity and to see if there were some things I could hijack for our etchells fleet. Imitation is indeed the sincerest form of flattery.

First, if you want to get access to the web site, call Bunny at Stagg and tell her what you want to do. In her years with us she was cooperative within reason and always willing to accept constructive help. I'll bet you can work out any problems there in pretty short order.

Second, great boat with a horrible build reputation. I'm not sure that reputaion is totally accurate. I've seen some boats where the owner thought hosing the boat off was a major maintenance item. I've seen bits installed without any attempt at bedding. Most of all, some owners seem to feel that their boats are indestructable. they go our in 20+, have a few jibe broaches just to warm up, then come back and never look at what they might have stressed or broken in the process. Boats are just like women, they don't tolerate benign neglect very well.

Third, if you want to build a "circuit" of races, then get the owners who travel in one place and start it. the strength of your class will come from the owners involvement. Tell Staggie what you need to do what you want to do and I'll bet he will pitch right in. I've know him for a long time. He is a man of great energy and shows tremendous passion for the boats. If you convince him that something will generate more participation, he'll buy in.

Just my two cents worth.

Dude !

"Tell Staggie what you need to do what you want to do and I'll bet he will pitch right in"

Whoooo, drug test, please before posting!

The Gentleman could have done better for the class, I believe he has done well for himself. There has been no accounting for the sponsorship bucks he has pulled in from Mumm and others. Last time I checked, no class members have ever seen a financial statement for the Association, though we are entitled to per the by laws.

Maybe we should have Bernie Madoff run the class.....

Interesting. My experience with both Staggie and Bunny has been exactly the opposite. It hasn't been whatever 30 related, but it has been pretty good. Bunny in particular has been very specific about what I needed to do to get whatever I wanted to accomplish done.

My advice would be to try again. Maybe it was the way they were asked. Just suggesting mind you.

Stagg is self serving as they come. We have had multiple experiences with him back when he was still with Farr that pretty much show what he is all about. I don't know him in a personal capacity, so that isn't what I'm talking about, just as far as business goes.

Too bad. They were just some stray thoughts after reading the paper and before getting down to trying to support my local sailmaker.

Too bad. They were just some stray thoughts after reading the paper and before getting down to trying to support my local sailmaker.

No, I understand what you are saying. I'm just relating (honestly) how he's treated us in the past. As a said, I don't know him on a personal level. This is strictly in a business sense.

You're dead wrong mate. Not only has Stagg ignored requests for information and interviews and suggestions for promoting the class over and over again, but he's actually specifically worked to cement some kind of relationship with Scuttlebutt while specifically pissing on SA.

I do not understand why he still runs the class. I cannot understand why someone still has a job when he has failed miserably at it, and everyone knows it. A trained chimpanzee tied to a desk could do a better job with the Mumm 30 class than Stagg has done. And I know a few monkeys that would love to do it.

Clean and others that I recognize on here, you all know that I was pretty much the Great Lakes MUMM Coordinator for about 4 years. I can tell you that I was privy to a lot of info during the time when a couple owners, very prominent owners in fact, tried to get the class out of Stagg's hands. I was at the owners meeting in Miami when Stagg basically told the owners to fuck off and walked out of the owners meeting.

Clean to understand how Stagg is still in charge one just needs to read the class constitution.

(I am sure I will catch some grief over this post but oh well, it is really sad to see this fleet dead. It is still the best 30'er out there!)

Can someone link the Class rules and constitution for me please, or send to me at clean(at)sailinganarchy.com?

That's just sad.

How can we love a sport so much when the establishment is so dead set on killing it? Declining participation, let's raise the bar. Rules are unintelligable, lets change them every three years so no one can understand them but the judges. Sounds a little like the Catholic church in the dark ages. Want to complain? We'll excommunicate you.

cbowrun - congrats on getting engaged

stagg has sucked the class dry of it's funds and fun

Wow - that's the first time I really read the class constitution - it is truly unbelievable. Here are the most important parts - many of you already know this, obviously.

8.5 Amendments to the Class Rules proposed by the Technical Committee for consideration and adoption at

the Annual General Meeting, shall have been submitted to the Members in writing accompanying the

notice of meeting, and shall be approved for adoption only by a Special Resolution. Notwithstanding this

procedure, no amendment to Class Rules shall be adopted for submission to the World Council and the

ISAF without the specific approval of the Management Group, which shall hold the absolute right of veto

of Class rule amendment.

and

14 AMENDMENTS AND INTERPRETATIONS

14.1 The Class Association Constitution and the Class Association rules may only be amended by a special

resolution of which notice has been duly given and which is duly proposed and passed at a General meeting

in accordance with the foregoing rules.

14.2 Rule Interpretations shall be issued by the Management Group after consultation with the Chief Measurer.

14.3 The World Council may make changes in the Class Rules and Constitution to conform to ISAF regulations.

14.4 Amendments to Sections 8.4, 8.5 or 8.6 or the Class contract with ISAF shall not be amended without the

prior written consent of the Management Group.

Considering that unconscionable constitution, it won't be easy or pretty to get Stagg out of running the class, but there are a few ways to do it, and it could be accomplished in a couple months if the will is there on the part of the class members.

The problem is that he would probably walk away from selling the boats if he was ousted - and could simply destroy any new builds as he owns the molds. Is he that crazy?

If any class members wants to take the lead on this and wants some help, you know where to find me.

The BC fleet (currently 6 boats) has the following events scheduled for 2009:

• March 28/29 Harken VARC Opener Regatta RVYC
    June 27/28 WAVES Regatta RVYC
    September 12/13 Martin Marine Deep Cove Regatta DCYC
    September 26/27 Thunderbird Marine Supplies Howe Sound Regatta WVYC
    October 24/25 Lewmar VARC Closer Regatta RVYC

Deep Cove...

sigggggghhhhhhhh...I so do miss Deep Cove...

Carry on.

With all the turmoil in this class, and nobody knowing what to call it, I propose a mix of the old and new names:

MF'er 30

Wow - that's the first time I really read the class constitution - it is truly unbelievable. Here are the most important parts - many of you already know this, obviously.

8.5 Amendments to the Class Rules proposed by the Technical Committee for consideration and adoption at

the Annual General Meeting, shall have been submitted to the Members in writing accompanying the

notice of meeting, and shall be approved for adoption only by a Special Resolution. Notwithstanding this

procedure, no amendment to Class Rules shall be adopted for submission to the World Council and the

ISAF without the specific approval of the Management Group, which shall hold the absolute right of veto

of Class rule amendment.

and

14 AMENDMENTS AND INTERPRETATIONS

14.1 The Class Association Constitution and the Class Association rules may only be amended by a special

resolution of which notice has been duly given and which is duly proposed and passed at a General meeting

in accordance with the foregoing rules.

14.2 Rule Interpretations shall be issued by the Management Group after consultation with the Chief Measurer.

14.3 The World Council may make changes in the Class Rules and Constitution to conform to ISAF regulations.

14.4 Amendments to Sections 8.4, 8.5 or 8.6 or the Class contract with ISAF shall not be amended without the

prior written consent of the Management Group.

Considering that unconscionable constitution, it won't be easy or pretty to get Stagg out of running the class, but there are a few ways to do it, and it could be accomplished in a couple months if the will is there on the part of the class members.

The problem is that he would probably walk away from selling the boats if he was ousted - and could simply destroy any new builds as he owns the molds. Is he that crazy?

If any class members wants to take the lead on this and wants some help, you know where to find me.

Finally, someone has stepped up to be the Class Assassin, or is that not what you mean ? Sometimes I envy the way the Third World changes regimes.............

(Disclaimer: In no way should this be taken as a threat to intimidate, harm or take the life of anyone running a class association, especially anyone from New Zealand)

post-1511-1231272759.jpeg

Well kids, it has been 48 hours since I started this monster and I can not say enough. 64 posts and 1733 views will keep this forum on the 1st page if we keep it up.

Allow me to summarize...

Topic #1: 2009 Schedule

Entire Fleet but mainly East Coast and Midwest

-KWRW... Have fun. My pick is Mummy, sorry Rhumb Punch, but they are on a roll after Worlds.

-Miami. ..Is anyone going???

-Annapolis Noods...Let's shoot for 15 at least. If memory serves me correct from last year, we had a better turn out than the Melges 32.

-?Cedar Point

-Block Island Race Week

-?Annapolis in the Fall for the North Americans

-?Great Lakes...Fall is very consistant with ideal conditions for our boats and cheap lodging, dockage, entry fees, etc.

Aussie Fleet

-They have their shit together along with committed boats and more to come.

West Coast/BC Fleet

-5 events for the BC boats

It would be great to see a start for the Frisco Big Boat. You guys could wave goodbye to the Melgi as they sit in the docks b/c it is blowing 25+.

Euro Fleet

I am sure they have their shit together also.

A follow up question/poll to this topic. What is your team's budget for travelling on a yearly basis?

Topic #2: Weigh Ins / Max Crew Weight

-What can you say, they are what they are. Here is my weigh in tip for out of town regattas. Most YMCA's have a dry sauna. Most cities have a YMCA. I lost 3lbs in 1 hour in Newport.

Topic #3: Class Dues & Management

-I figured this would a popular topic. Never did I think we would end up with Mr. Clean volunteering to be our lawyer. This one will be fun for a while. Hike, bitches-Please buy Clean multiple Vodkas in Key West for me.

Anarchist cbowrun is engaged. Post a link to your You Tube video so that we can enjoy how a World Champ gybes in heavy air. Congrats.

And finally, we have a possible new owner in Anarachist NYBOZO1. Maybe he felt bad about his earlier posts and he is blowing smoke up our asses. Maybe not. Hopefully he is serious and will soon be joining us on a downwind run and he watches his knot meter hit the mid to high teens, he will say to himself...self I am glad I listened to the Anarchists.

I think that is enough for the day. My work output sucked these last 2 days as I kept logging on to see what was going on. I guess this is good practice for KWOTWA. Anyway, time to go change some diapers.

Downtown

kaizen is, as of right now, planning on naptown, cedar point and block (assuming enough interest)...

maybe something in august as well.....

well, that's the last i heard anyway.....

/c

We've got one in Australia though it is authorized and official in that we are affiliated as a class association with Yachting Australia. Nevertheless it has been set up by the owners as a group and any Yachting Australia member can contribute to the forums.

With all the turmoil in this class, and nobody knowing what to call it, I propose a mix of the old and new names:

MF'er 30

Change the name, set up a new site and rewrite the rules to be different but specify the exact same thing and off you go.

This needs some clarification 40grit:

Last year we raced the boats with a configuration that did not require weigh in as we wanted to get boats out there and not all owners were members of the class as well as wanting the new owners to get up to speed on the boats. This year however, all owners are to join the class, race to weight as well as class rules for all OD, hi point events. This was voted on by all West Coast Owners in a meeting we had in November.

Additionally, We are currently in discussions with SFYC to get a OD start at BBS this year in SF. We should know more shortly as they are meeting tomorrow I am told. Our high point schedule for 2009 is as follows:

SCYA Midwinters (CYC) – Feb. 21st & 22nd, Ahmanson Cup (NHYC) – April 18th & 19th, SD Yachting Cup (SDYC) – May 2nd & 3rd , Cal Race Week (CYC) – May 3oth & 31st

Long Beach Race Week (LBYC) – June 26th – 28th,(PENDING APPROVAL) Rolex Big Boat Series (SFYC) Sept. 9th – 13th

We hope to see some more boats out there as it is a great group with close racing.

quote name='40grit' date='Jan 5 2009, 07:06 PM' post='2072974']

Here on the West coast, we have been enjoying some momentum and growth. I think some of the class sparkplugs have said "this is a great boat and you should get one! We agreed and got one.

Our schedule this year includes local Santa Monica bay racing, highlighted by Long Beach Race weekend, Ditch Run, Ensenada as the feeder to Yachting Cup in San Diego. And the Santa Barbara to King Harbor event, where last year we saw boat speed in the high teens.

The fleet has a new member, he is shipping a boat from back East. This newest active member will be boat #8 we hope to have a couple of new playmates by end of summer to make 10.

At this point, the fleet of 6 have bottom painted the boats, and they are stored in the water. I personally like this arrangement, as I believe it keeps the boats even and makes them much easer to play with.

Internationally, we have been underwhelmed, with a huge yearly entry fee and no one minding the store. We have felt a little independent, and have sailed with 7 ignoring the class weight limit. I do think just about every West coast team has easily two females, as does our team. We like girls.

After years of sailing traditional boats, the 30 is a breath of fresh air with a great balance of cost vs fun. I highly recommend joining the West Coast fleet.

I have been watching this forum with interest as a west coast owner. The discussion regarding class dues has me wondering why joining the class has become an issue for the west coast owners. I see no upside to joining the class based on commentary from the right coast. If they aren’t feeling the love - why would we dump money into a wasted effort? For a new cabin top sticker? I do believe we should be racing to class weight - which we do (Except PHRF). I hope our fledgling group doesn’t fall victim to what appears to me a scheme to send Class Management some dough. I will be there at most of the west coast one design starts - with the M on my sail and a couple extra bucks in my wallet. Hope I can still come out and play. :rolleyes:

I have been watching this forum with interest as a west coast owner. The discussion regarding class dues has me wondering why joining the class has become an issue for the west coast owners. I see no upside to joining the class based on commentary from the right coast. If they aren’t feeling the love - why would we dump money into a wasted effort? For a new cabin top sticker? I do believe we should be racing to class weight - which we do (Except PHRF). I hope our fledgling group doesn’t fall victim to what appears to me a scheme to send Class Management some dough. I will be there at most of the west coast one design starts - with the M on my sail and a couple extra bucks in my wallet. Hope I can still come out and play. :rolleyes:

I would not worry too much about the class dues. Class Mgmt. is too far away to enforce anything. They have us by the balls on the right coast b/c they will not let you race if have you have not paid them.

Tell me it Ain't so, $600 for a membership card? for the year? If I know anything about sailboaters their cheeeep asses and I am one of the cheapest.

Who wants to join my new club? you give me money and I let you play boats, OK if you don't give me money you can't play, And I decide how much you pay me.

I am all for a class governing board and agree to class rules, but a class that wants that kind of yearly cabbage? feels like a Key West entry fee.

we have tried to join a couple of times and had no luck, had we known it was that much, we wouldn't have tried that hard.

I would not worry too much about the class dues. Class Mgmt. is too far away to enforce anything. They have us by the balls on the right coast b/c they will not let you race if have you have not paid them.

If you're racing PHRF with a one design rating and removing weight, please post the name of your boat so we can all protest you :o

The current dues are $250 for the class association membership and $115 for the one design certificate. That totals $365 and covers both the boat and the owner/driver.

Not sure were the other figures are coming from. Would be interesting to compare to class fees for Farr 40's, Melges 32s, Sydney 38s, etc.

The current dues are $250 for the class association membership and $115 for the one design certificate. That totals $365 and covers both the boat and the owner/driver.

Not sure were the other figures are coming from. Would be interesting to compare to class fees for Farr 40's, Melges 32s, Sydney 38s, etc.

I did full 2008 program aboard one of the SoCal "Mumms" and had a great time. I was thinking of joining the class.....As an Etchells owner for the past 10yrs, here is my take on class dues.

I paid around $125/year, this coverd both national and local fleet dues. The boat came with a one design (measurement) certificate, it did not cost extra, was good until major mods were done and this it would be ammended, no charge.

Sail acquision was controled, Limit/year. These were listed on the sail card, I did not have to by a $40 "button"/sail. If they did not come measured from the loft, you got together with the local measurer to get it done, usualy cost a bottle of rum.

Got quarterly newsletters and had a good web site at one time.

I have sailed in many great venues, swapped tacks and rums with the real greats of sailing, Brun, Conner, Isler, Smith, Kahn and so many others...

What exactly is the "Farr 30" class doing with these funds?.........Wait, is Bernie Madoff on the board? :blink:

We race with a PHRF certificate - sometimes with 1 extra crew member against 40 - 50 footers. Who said anything about removing weight? This boat needs apes on the rail. :P

If you're racing PHRF with a one design rating and removing weight, please post the name of your boat so we can all protest you :o

I just got my email from Stagg with regards to class dues and OD cert, not sure where the $600 number has been coming from. It is $250 for the class assoc membership and $115 for the OD Cert=$365.00 total. I have been told that the owners voted on these numbers years ago and if we want them changed we need to propose it and get 70% owner approval. If owners don't like it, it is up to us to do something about it.

I know many people feel that they have not had any value in joining the class. I hear the common; all we get is a cabin sticker and a new sticker for our sail. While I agree that Stagg has not been stellar in their communication in the past they have been making an effort as of late. I have had contact with Tink, who will be our person at Stagg, he is working on compiling a current owner list, corresponding with the local fleets that have now been established, compiling a master race schedule that will be posted on the website and compiling all of the new class renewals of memberships, I know he is working on that for KWRW as we speak. I am told that the class measurer is paid from the dues whenever he goes to measure boats, the class is making new flags that we are to hang from our starboard stern and they promise to be more proactive with the website and communication (I have seen this already).

I know that I bought this boat because it is the best 30' OD boat out there; it is a blast to sail and great people. Yes, the class has not been growing as much in the past few years, however, there is resurgence with a new fleet forming on the West Coast (SoCal, NorCal and Canada) and in AUS. The purpose of a class is to maintain the integrity of these boats and keep them like and kind. By being a class member you are pledging to keep this intact. This in turn helps to keep value in the boats when owners try to sell them. I am not sure of many classes that have various builders of various years that are still competitive. There are Caroll Marine boats out there that can hang and beat some of the new boats, that is what class rules and specifications are for to keep the boats consistent.

If everyone is a member of the class we can make change by proposing changes to things we do not like and we as class members, have to take some accountability to growing the fleets.

This form the Downtown start is a great way to spread the word, thanks Dtown! ;)

Rock on.

I am going to put my 2 cents in on this on 2 different replies to hopefully generate more responses specific to your points...

I agree completely on the class fees issue. What the hell are they doing with the $600/boat/year? It is not going to marketing in print or for updating the class web site.

I believe this was a bone of contention last year when the anarchy with some of the owners started after the 2007 Worlds. I wonder what happened?

Farr 40 - $1900, Melges 24 $275, Melges 32 $150

I just got my email from Stagg with regards to class dues and OD cert, not sure where the $600 number has been coming from. It is $250 for the class assoc membership and $115 for the OD Cert=$365.00 total. I have been told that the owners voted on these numbers years ago and if we want them changed we need to propose it and get 70% owner approval. If owners don't like it, it is up to us to do something about it.

I know many people feel that they have not had any value in joining the class. I hear the common; all we get is a cabin sticker and a new sticker for our sail. While I agree that Stagg has not been stellar in their communication in the past they have been making an effort as of late. I have had contact with Tink, who will be our person at Stagg, he is working on compiling a current owner list, corresponding with the local fleets that have now been established, compiling a master race schedule that will be posted on the website and compiling all of the new class renewals of memberships, I know he is working on that for KWRW as we speak. I am told that the class measurer is paid from the dues whenever he goes to measure boats, the class is making new flags that we are to hang from our starboard stern and they promise to be more proactive with the website and communication (I have seen this already).

I know that I bought this boat because it is the best 30' OD boat out there; it is a blast to sail and great people. Yes, the class has not been growing as much in the past few years, however, there is resurgence with a new fleet forming on the West Coast (SoCal, NorCal and Canada) and in AUS. The purpose of a class is to maintain the integrity of these boats and keep them like and kind. By being a class member you are pledging to keep this intact. This in turn helps to keep value in the boats when owners try to sell them. I am not sure of many classes that have various builders of various years that are still competitive. There are Caroll Marine boats out there that can hang and beat some of the new boats, that is what class rules and specifications are for to keep the boats consistent.

If everyone is a member of the class we can make change by proposing changes to things we do not like and we as class members, have to take some accountability to growing the fleets.

This form the Downtown start is a great way to spread the word, thanks Dtown! ;)

No problem at all. It has been fun so far.

I went back and checked my records and $365/year is the amount for class dues and the 1D certificate. (I probably should have checked that one before ranting.) I would agree that the amount is fair enough, I would just like to see a lot more on an updated web site. After all, it is the first impression that anyone gets of the class besides seeing the boat in person.

Enough bitching for a while, lets go down positive street for a while....For all of the newer class members, what do you think so far of your purchase? Any great stories to tell? Any questions about how other teams are doing something on their boats?

Rock on.

don't get stagged again. they might be "trying" at the moment to get as many checks in as possible. then when they do - let me know how it works out.

start fresh with some peeps that will get it going again - otherwise it will still keep going downhill instead of downtown.

Thanks Dtown! Positive here, Nelson (on his own dime no less) is coming out for our first Offical "AS ALL CLASS MEMBERS" SoCal F30 OD start late Feb. He is bringing out the new sail logos and cabin logos, we are having a sail party on Thurs to change out the sails and he is going to go through all of the boats with the new owners, Fri. we are doing an on the water seminar and tuning with a cocktail/dinner party for the SoCal fleet, Sat and Sun we race. Last year most of us were within 1 point of each other, looking forward to another great year. BTW, we are going to build our own local fleet website, maybe other fleets should as well if they don't have already.

Hope to hear soon at BBS which will be a blast on these great boats! Had positive response from some of the Vancouver fleet so this could be a great new push for the F30.

Funny story, we went out a few weeks ago for a beer can race, our bow guy hit the spirits too hard the night before and thought he had set the .75 MH kite, we are hoisting and go past our marks, the skipper is yelling WTF, he set the .75 Frac on the MH Halyard! Unreal!!!! Need less to say we have never seen such a beautiful skyline heading back to MDR breakwall. It was classic, we had a potential new owner trying out a boat and he asked if we did it on purpose, good times... :lol:

No problem at all. It has been fun so far.

I went back and checked my records and $365/year is the amount for class dues and the 1D certificate. (I probably should have checked that one before ranting.) I would agree that the amount is fair enough, I would just like to see a lot more on an updated web site. After all, it is the first impression that anyone gets of the class besides seeing the boat in person.

Enough bitching for a while, lets go down positive street for a while....For all of the newer class members, what do you think so far of your purchase? Any great stories to tell? Any questions about how other teams are doing something on their boats?

Rock on.

Funny story, we went out a few weeks ago for a beer can race, our bow guy hit the spirits too hard the night before and thought he had set the .75 MH kite, we are hoisting and go past our marks, the skipper is yelling WTF, he set the .75 Frac on the MH Halyard! Unreal!!!! Need less to say we have never seen such a beautiful skyline heading back to MDR breakwall. It was classic, we had a potential new owner trying out a boat and he asked if we did it on purpose, good times... :lol:

good times!! yeah, you'll learn soon enough not to trust those f30 bowmen!! :ph34r:

/c

good times!! yeah, you'll learn soon enough not to trust those f30 bowmen!! :ph34r:

/c

It could have been worse, he could have put up the MH kite on the jib halyard. :(

Our frac finally saw a halyard last fall after sitting in the stern absorbing water for a couple of years. It lasted about 15 minutes and then blew up. We told the girls that they should make some thongs with the left over tape, but we have yet to see that show. :P

Very true, especially after a hard night hitting the rum bottle! :P

/c

/c

It could have been worse, he could have put up the MH kite on the jib halyard. :(

Our frac finally saw a halyard last fall after sitting in the stern absorbing water for a couple of years. It lasted about 15 minutes and then blew up. We told the girls that they should make some thongs with the left over tape, but we have yet to see that show. :P

A good M30 bowman keeps the frac chute in good order, in the basement, in the dark, next to the dehumidifier, and never, ever, brings it aboard for anything less than a 24 hour race so that you have to keep the S2 up in 30+. Exceptions only made for days when the forecast for around the plastic balloons racing forecast exceeds 35.

A good M30 bowman keeps the frac chute in good order, in the basement, in the dark, next to the dehumidifier, and never, ever, brings it aboard for anything less than a 24 hour race so that you have to keep the S2 up in 30+. Exceptions only made for days when the forecast for around the plastic balloons racing forecast exceeds 35.

up until october, i would have said true dat...

but....

we were one of the boats that tried masthead kite on 'carnage day' at the worlds and (arguably due to some miscommunication in the afterguard) it probably cost us anywhere near a respectable finishing position (broken spin pole in the first race of a 3 race day!)...

so, having raced mumm30's for, um, 8 years or so (several programs, all on bow, all around the cans) i STILL haven't seen a frac kite up on a boat i was on!! :lol::lol:

/c

but....

we were one of the boats that tried masthead kite on 'carnage day' at the worlds and (arguably due to some miscommunication in the afterguard) it probably cost us anywhere near a respectable finishing position (broken spin pole in the first race of a 3 race day!)...

so, having raced mumm30's for, um, 8 years or so (several programs, all on bow, all around the cans) i STILL haven't seen a frac kite up on a boat i was on!! :lol::lol:

/c

I saw one once, kept it nice and crispy in the basement for a while after that. I think that after the boat was donated, it had still never been used in anger.

but....

/c

Carnage Day...many good memories.

We threw up the frac for the run down to the course just to see how we could handle it. After some nice puffs and hitting 17 knots I was ready to try the mh, but the rest of the crew was not too excited. We somehow managed to tear the frac on the douse, so when we set it during race one, it lasted about the 3/4 of the way down and blew up on the 2nd gybe. So leg 4 comes around and I say, let's go with the MH, all you guys have to do is stand on the stern while the sheet rips my arms out of the sockets. That is when the money man started adding up the new main and new #2 we had just bought combined with the now deceased frac along with a .75 that was going to need some work. Needless to say, he did not want to spend any more money on sails that week and we had to wimp it down the course under our #3.

That day was priceless in so many ways.

but....

/c

Carnage Day...many good memories.

We threw up the frac for the run down to the course just to see how we could handle it. After some nice puffs and hitting 17 knots I was ready to try the mh, but the rest of the crew was not too excited. We somehow managed to tear the frac on the douse, so when we set it during race one, it lasted about the 3/4 of the way down and blew up on the 2nd gybe. So leg 4 comes around and I say, let's go with the MH, all you guys have to do is stand on the stern while the sheet rips my arms out of the sockets. That is when the money man started adding up the new main and new #2 we had just bought combined with the now deceased frac along with a .75 that was going to need some work. Needless to say, he did not want to spend any more money on sails that week and we had to wimp it down the course under our #3.

That day was priceless in so m