Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hogitz

Lauderdale to Key West Race underway

Well there off and by the looks of things I'd guess Rosebud, Anema Core,or Sjambok for line honors attached are a couple of photos

post-18125-1231978184_thumb.jpg

Well there off and by the looks of things I'd guess Rosebud, Anema Core,or Sjambok for line honors attached are a couple of photos

post-18125-1231978415_thumb.jpg

I'll put the other 140 photos on southflasailing.com in the morning

post-18125-1231978501_thumb.jpg

Got any DragonFlyPlus or Spider Glide pics? Or the 2 Minis racing?

FLORIDA BAY-

430 PM EST WED JAN 14 2009

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY WILL LIKELY BE REQUIRED THURSDAY NIGHT

TONIGHT

NORTH TO NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. BAY WATERS A

LIGHT TO MODERATE CHOP.

THURSDAY

NORTH WINDS INCREASING TO 15 TO 20 KNOTS. BAY WATERS

BECOMING CHOPPY. ISOLATED SHOWERS.

irc b looks tough... rating-wise...

can first light get enough separation from the king? hmmmmmm.

/c

FLORIDA BAY-

430 PM EST WED JAN 14 2009

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY WILL LIKELY BE REQUIRED THURSDAY NIGHT

TONIGHT

NORTH TO NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. BAY WATERS A

LIGHT TO MODERATE CHOP.

THURSDAY

NORTH WINDS INCREASING TO 15 TO 20 KNOTS. BAY WATERS

BECOMING CHOPPY. ISOLATED SHOWERS.

And cold. Like 50f. Brrrr.

Dragonfly Plus Heading out to the start

post-18125-1231981960_thumb.jpg

Spiderglide Prestart

post-18125-1231982068_thumb.jpg

Andy on "Phoenix"

post-18125-1231982161_thumb.jpg

Hogitz: The wife and I thank you for the pics. Cheers.

Bit of trouble on Bandana

post-18125-1231982663_thumb.jpg

No Problem It was tough being a watcher instead of a doer :(

Is there any online race tracking for this one? I can't seem to find one. Kattack, VOR, iBoattrack, Virtual Spectator all have me spoiled.

I don't think there is, though i would love to be proven wrong.

Front Page:

Feed Me

Key West Race Week is all about buoy racing, but the real offshore studs bring their boat to town on her own bottom, preferably straight from Fort Lauderdale with the afterburners lit. Wednesday afternoon was the start of the Lauderdale to Key West feeder race, a tough event that can include anything from a N'ly blast to a cracked off reach in 12 foot seas and 30 knots of wind. This year's race includes a few TP52s as well as some IRC beasts, and a pile of random boats like the Swan 53 Dragon Fly Plus. From Anarchist Sol Rosenberg on board the Swan:

Uneventful start, with 10 knots from the North – starboard gybe on the start. After that there were many, many gybes to get to Miami, with fewer since. I got a break from a long kite trim session between Miami and Fowey, and there's already a big protest brewing over whether the “string rule” spplies between Miami and Fowey or just from Fowey on. Friggin' Northerners can't read sailing instructions. Lots of boats protested. A big Northbound current at the sea buoy sent many inshore. Gotta run – a championship dump is brewing.

And Later:

I just finished a 2 hour helm shift, playing with the Open 40 and the King 40 in the light – down to 4.8 knots windspeed. Yeoman missed the Miami Sea Buoy and went back to round it properly. They passed us at the end of my shift. “Rosenberg, Yeoman is driving that thing right up your ass,” said someone.

“Sounds like bad luck for him,” I answered.

1/15/2009

Breeze ON! A kite on the edge. Double digit numbers, another shift done and arms are sore. The big dog is rumbling down the line.

Breeze ON! A kite on the edge. Double digit numbers, another shift done and arms are sore. The big dog is rumbling down the line.

keep em coming Sol...great stuff

Excellent. Sail fast and have fun.

Why doesn't this Board have a <flashing my bewbs for you now> emoticon? <_<

Out for a while now. Crunch time for the next few hours. Getting cold and gearing up.

hope you found your long underwear. :) be well out there baby.

Out for a while now. Crunch time for the next few hours. Getting cold and gearing up.

yeah...baby.

yeah...baby.

Sol can be a baby when he can't find his long underwear (which are flannel and red, JBTW) the morning before an offshore Race that has a forecast of being cold. I don't blame him in the least.

Ive loaded all the start photos on my website they are not as nice as Spruances but they are free

southflasailing.com

yeah...baby.

Sol can be a baby when he can't find his long underwear (which are flannel and red, JBTW) the morning before an offshore Race that has a forecast of being cold. I don't blame him in the least.

I'm guessing the big tough ocean racer Sol is cringing in his flannies after that one C. :lol:

Ive loaded all the start photos on my website they are not as nice as Spruances but they are free

southflasailing.com

Thanks so much for the pictures, it's great to see a little action. :)

yeah...baby.

I'm guessing the big tough ocean racer Sol is cringing in his flannies after that one C. :lol:

Never found them. Jib reaching now.

scratch that...shivering in his foulies. keep it going Sol...how do you reckon yer doing?

I'm guessing the big tough ocean racer Sol is cringing in his flannies after that one

??? how do the drop seat red flannel UWs work with the salopettes???

what about the big red buttons??

scratch that...shivering in his foulies. keep it going Sol...how do you reckon yer doing?

Hard to tell. There is a sled in our class that owes us an ungodly amount of time. I should know by the time we finish whether we beat them, thanks to LZ's scoring program posting finish times. We should be doing pretty well with everybody else in our class.

Would chatting on the interweb be considered outside assistance?

Just askin?

Just askin?

Or assisting the outside. Matters not now... Back on shift now.

Go King 40-Hot Ticket. I understand this race is their sea trial, the cushions still have plastic wrap over them, and the electronics were being installed during the start sequence.

Just askin?

If its for things like reminding the kids to feed the goldfish, or checking how much money you lost

in the stock market, no problem.

If it gains a competitive advantage wether its intentional or not, yes.

Which could be argued includes competitors positions and of course weather, etc.

taht the whole flete isnt privy to. Depends how detailed the info is and how strict

the rules are enforced i guess.

Just askin?

If its for things like reminding the kids to feed the goldfish, or checking how much money you lost

in the stock market, no problem.

If it gains a competitive advantage wether its intentional or not, yes.

Which could be argued includes competitors positions and of course weather, etc.

taht the whole flete isnt privy to. Depends how detailed the info is and how strict

the rules are enforced i guess.

Way to go Sol!

I'm having trouble feeling sorry for the "cold" 50 degrees. I'm freezing my ass off in Michigan with a high today of 3 degreees (F).

Have fun in KW and I can't wait to piss away an entire week of work with OTW reports!

This just in from Sol. CRYC based Spiderglide (Sydney 36) beat out Stu Hebb's CRYC based Thin Ice (Aerodyne 38), with a 1,2. I assume that's for their class . They are both also racing in the Pineapple Cup. Makes for a good blue boat rivalry.

Just talked to Stu - Rosebud won overall.

EDIT: The above is IRC.

This just in from Sol. CRYC based Spiderglide (Sydney 36) beat out Stu Hebb's CRYC based Thin Ice (Aerodyne 38), with a 1,2. I assume that's for their class . They are both also racing in the Pineapple Cup. Makes for a good blue boat rivalry.

Just talked to Stu - Rosebud won overall.

Complete detailed Results (Not all boats entered or finished yet) - www.yachtscoring.com/event_results_detail.cfm?Race_Number=1&eID=215

Hey LZ!

So is Ace not gonna finish? Did something happen to them? Not that I know them, but it is a MacGregor, so I'm curious.

Hey LZ!

So is Ace not gonna finish? Did something happen to them? Not that I know them, but it is a MacGregor, so I'm curious.

Don't know but from the results sheet looks like they may have called in and dropped out (DNF). Got me curious too as to what happened.

Unfortunately I didn't make it down there this year so sitting here in cold Michigan just following it.

Times up for our class, but just heard L'Outrage on the radio, so theywill get us OA. Off to Pepes to clog their facilities and hold court.

That looks like ridiculous fun. If Heat Wave ever reprises a Key West appearance, this feeder will be a must.

Times up for our class, but just heard L'Outrage on the radio, so theywill get us OA. Off to Pepes to clog their facilities and hold court.

Glad you arrived safely. Have fun. Eat well. Drink more than Colin and I'll see you in a few days.

That looks like ridiculous fun. If Heat Wave ever reprises a Key West appearance, this feeder will be a must.

If the Wave likes 40 on the nose I'd do it for sure.

Fat drunk and stupid may be no way to go through life, but it's a great way to go through Key West. I love this place.

Anyone know why Denali raced in PHRF A VS. Racing in the IRC A class?

Probably because they do not have a valid IRC Cert. At least RORC doesn't show that they do.

Way to go L'Outrage!

Thanks! We had a great ride down. We're almost all cleaned up and heading to Turltle Craws (or something like that) for beverages. Way too much fun.

Probably because they do not have a valid IRC Cert. At least RORC doesn't show that they do.

They do have one in the works. The boat also had one from the previous owner.

It most certainly does. The crew on the other hand... little soft.

I figured as much. However, you can prolly answer this for me: doesn't an IRC cert get voided upon transfer of ownership?

I figured as much. However, you can prolly answer this for me: doesn't an IRC cert get voided upon transfer of ownership?

Yeap, needs to be re-upped. Theirs was almost completed before the race. They probably did not want to push to get it (speculating).

Is the Sydney 36 Spider Glide the newer cruiser rig? The IRC rating of 1.041 seems a lot more favorable than the orignial versions.

Yeap, needs to be re-upped. Theirs was almost completed before the race. They probably did not want to push to get it (speculating).

LZ- I thought Jen said 2008 IRC certs where good for this race and KWRW?

It most certainly does. The crew on the other hand... little soft.

Only in the head Burnsy, only in the head.

If you need another nitwit, I'm in. Love those dinosaurs.

LZ- I thought Jen said 2008 IRC certs where good for this race and KWRW?

Yes, they are.

Is the Sydney 36 Spider Glide the newer cruiser rig? The IRC rating of 1.041 seems a lot more favorable than the orignial versions.

I think so. LZ's fine scratch sheet shows a build date of 2006, and IIRC there were only two or maybe three of the original masthead rigged BH36s in the U.S.

LZ - Is there anyway you can get the owners to fill out " the crew list" section of their registration, so we can see which of our Lucky friends are sailing in these regatta's.

My car heater didn't even warm up on the half hour commute home, (f@cking -7 and getting colder here in Chicago)

I want to take each and everyone of their names in vain for complaining about the cold race down to Key West!

LZ - Is there anyway you can get the owners to fill out " the crew list" section of their registration, so we can see which of our Lucky friends are sailing in these regatta's.

My car heater didn't even warm up on the half hour commute home, (f@cking -7 and getting colder here in Chicago)

I want to take each and everyone of their names in vain for complaining about the cold race down to Key West!

LOL... Thinks it is any warmer around here? Whatchu get today, we'll get tomorrow!

I'd love to see more owners fill in their crew list. Not only for us to see but the give the crews credit for their sailing.

Unfortunately only the OAs can do that by requiring that crew lists be submitted as part of their entry requirements.

The King 40 didn't have his race crew on board (hopefully it wil make a difference since I'm one of them). He raced with a bunch of guys that he works with. sy jeff

Musta been a slow race, Sjambok was only 25 minutes faster this year than the J105 from two years ago on elapsed time.

I think so. LZ's fine scratch sheet shows a build date of 2006, and IIRC there were only two or maybe three of the original masthead rigged BH36s in the U.S.

crikey..what did they do to get that number? Old M/H's thru the 36S are 1.079 - 1.067. I thought 1.049 was low for the C/R at Geelong...1.041 wow.

Someone has perhaps figured out they only go so fast downwind?? Short mast...small sym kites. narrow jibs and roach. lighter???

Would be a giant killer in a two sail reaching race at 1.041.

Be very interested to see how she stacks up during KWRW. am guessing light sloppy will be her nemesis

The Sydney 36 has found yet another life. Amazing that and you still can't go faster than 17 knots or the dylithium crystals melt

crikey..what did they do to get that number? Old M/H's thru the 36S are 1.079 - 1.067. I thought 1.049 was low for the C/R at Geelong...1.041 wow.

Someone has perhaps figured out they only go so fast downwind?? Short mast...small sym kites. narrow jibs and roach. lighter???

Be very interested to see how she stacks up during KWRW. am guessing light sloppy will be her nemesis

The Sydney 36 has found yet another life. Amazing that and you still can't go faster than 17 knots or the dylithium crystals melt

She isn't doing Race week. She'll need to be delivered north in the next few days. When were you going to be in Florida? It wasn't this week, was it?

hahaha...no. not this week. red flannel uw is difficult to get in such a short time here. Call GU...he's from cold places and an ace at 36CR deliveries now.

hahaha...no. not this week. red flannel uw is difficult to get in such a short time here. Call GU...he's from cold places and an ace at 36CR deliveries now.

there seems to be a red flannel uw shortage here as well. and GU never returns my calls anymore.

Fat drunk and stupid may be no way to go through life, but it's a great way to go through Key West. I love this place.

LOL!!! Wish we could have made it this year. Have fun and good go'in! Looking forward to sailing on the Tiger in Ft Pierce.

I was looking at that yesterday, see the pic in post #9 Fixed prod. from what I can see no mast track for a spin pole, would love to see a better pic of the entire rig to get an idea on the size in perspective to the boat and make some guesses as to what has been modifyed.

They also did well in the Worth (sp) race in Ft L. 6 or 8 weeks ago.

Congrats!

Regards

Musta been a slow race, Sjambok was only 25 minutes faster this year than the J105 from two years ago on elapsed time.

I was noticing that. The only boat that was faster than our elapsed time from 07 is Rosebud, must have been pretty slow at the end.

I was looking at that yesterday, see the pic in post #9 Fixed prod. from what I can see no mast track for a spin pole, would love to see a better pic of the entire rig to get an idea on the size in perspective to the boat and make some guesses as to what has been modifyed.

Congrats!

Regards

This is the only photo i have of Spiderglides full rig its 13 months old however from the 2007's Wirth Munroe. I have Photos of most of the boats that race in South Florida at my website southflasailing.com

Congrats!

Regards

This is the only photo i have of Spiderglides full rig its 13 months old however from the 2007's Wirth Munroe. I have Photos of most of the boats that race in South Florida at my website southflasailing.com

post-18125-1232117502_thumb.jpg

I was noticing that. The only boat that was faster than our elapsed time from 07 is Rosebud, must have been pretty slow at the end.

The second half was pretty quick, but the first half was light and at times tedious. Big lefty in the wee hours put an end to the light stuff and the rapid jibes to get out of the stream, which was VERY close. Those who were in close at the shift made nice gains. Fast times the rest of the way, and a beat from the KW sea buoy to the finish in 20+ that can only be described as brutish. It was nice to do that on a Swan 53, which doesn't just go through the water, it punishes it in the process.

Looks like Richard Stephens dominated the Multihull Fleet on his 28CC. Well done!

tough to beat...they were sailing some really hot angles and charged hard all night