Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

Race Week Begins

Holy crap - visibility is 25 feet! Our cameramen and girls are jumping back aboard, soaked to the tits, and we cannot see a single racing boat. There is no way they know where the marks are.

Clean, I can hear the excitement in your voice.

Great stuff (wish I could see the wet tee shirts!! :P )

Thank you!

BTW, IRC 1 order is Rosebud, Ran, Synergy, Rio.

Mascalzon Latino wins - no surprise there. Barking mad second, Joe Fly just behind, nipping - nipping...

Those three are a logn way ahead of the rest of the little fleet.

What the hell is that Custom 41 ?? 41204? Man that is one whacky looking paint job to put it nicely.

That boat is from Sarasota owned by the Ulmman loft dealer, Doug Fisher. Just raced against that boat a couple of weeks ago (wiped me out at the start, thank you very much). It is very beamy, twin wheels, reminds me of a RTW style design, say an Open forty designed several years before there were any. Lifting keel and rudder (handy around Tampa Bay)

Should be a player for honors in PHRF1.

Doug is a major player too - He was the BM for Stars N' Stripes for the Mac Races - I understand he's got the previously submerged mast for her down in Sara

Is the boat coming back also?

I've been looking for it at the Squadron from time to time and haven't seen her - she stays on a ball out there (last I saw her)

--------------------------------------

Do you have a pic of Doug's (a.k.a. "Squeeky"s) new toy?? He has a bud who does wild boat graphics... remember the Henderson 30 "Purple Haze"??

That boat started out life as "Look Again" and then affectionately called "Look the other way" :blink: . It was designed by an obscure Kiwi ex-pat named Robertson and build by a cabinet maker in Miami. It's only appearance @ KWRW under it's original regime was an unmitigated train wreck.

Doug has done an awesome job of resurrecting what had been generally considered a turd. He also deserves kudos for single-handedly bringing the "Eddie Van Halen" look back into yachting.

20060409_00095.jpg

Here's a pic I snapped from my phone cam a couple of years ago on Tampa Bay.

FM

Was it ever Looker?

so...Rosebud crosses the line first! Umm...anyone got a stopwatch?

Some weak-ass video of the M32s downwind.

Clean best vid you've sent all day! Hang in there, we're counting on some shots!

Winever

Tits are drying off unfortunately, Dawg. By the way, thanks for all your hard work getting this forum up and running so nicely yesterday.

Rest of Farr 40s:

4) Plenty

Flash Gordon

Convexity

Groovederci

Nanoq

Here's a little thing we did last night with Quantum VP Farley Fontenot, talking about Terry's big win, Quantum's philosophy, and the myth that "all sails are pretty much the same"

What a weird-ass morning.

LOL I love the Melges Banner in the background - Staunch North supporters

Tits are drying off unfortunately, Dawg. By the way, thanks for all your hard work getting this forum up and running so nicely yesterday.

WHAT, no towel cam?!?!?!?!?

Winever

Here's a little thing we did last night with Quantum VP Farley Fontenot, talking about Terry's big win, Quantum's philosophy, and the myth that "all sails are pretty much the same"

What a weird-ass morning.

LOL I love the Melges Banner in the background - Staunch North supporters

Farley's suggestion. They love being part of the Melges class. It's pretty interesting to see the makeup of sails in the M24s now - instead of the 80% North majority we've seen until last year, it's maybe 50-60% North, and the rest Q and Ullman. Blu Moon sails with Ullman main and North Jib, WTF all Ullman, Kolius all Quantum, and Brun all North.

The Swan 42s are still a LONG way off. Tick...tock...tick...tock. Mumms still ahven't finished either, but we're keeping tabs on them.

Results... why no results yet? ;-)

OK... some one had to say it.

Good J/105 video uploading as the storm rolled in. Boats coming into the finish now - breeze is 8-12 tops, leftover lump, clouds still not clearing out, and a 150 foot megauyahct next to us - not sure whose tender that shit is!

Are you still down here bro?

Mumm 30 owner and original SA'er John Edwards after winning his award last night.

Mumm 30:

Kinetic

Jack-a-roe

Rhumb Punch

Mummbles

Mummy

Swans:

Tiburon

Apparition

From Premier's Score Section on the site:

DIVISION 2 - Melges 23, Melges 24, J/105

PRO Dave Brennan

When did Melges start building the Melges 23? Dyslexia at it's best.

Clean, I want to see an interview with the owner of CUJO, but only if it is recorded after midnight! Need ot give Greg time to get sloppy drunk!

Cold as shit and snowing in Detroit with a couple feet on the ground. We're warming up to freezing later this week!

Good J/105 video uploading as the storm rolled in. Boats coming into the finish now - breeze is 8-12 tops, leftover lump, clouds still not clearing out, and a 150 foot megauyahct next to us - not sure whose tender that shit is!

Are you still down here bro?

Nope. Unfortunately I never even made it down this year! I'm still up in F*ng F*zing Michigan. Thursday 29th isn't coming soon enough for me to leave for the Islands... Grenada Sailing Festival first than Pineapple Cup...

1118H: El Ocaso has done a two turn penalty - check for the story at the tent tonight.

NO!!! Not a good way to start the regatta! Go Blue taco!!!!

Mumm 30 owner and original SA'er John Edwards after winning his award last night.

Nicely done Clean and huge props to Moma and Papa Punch!!!

Go Cool Whip,

Captain Creme Cheese

From Premier's Score Section on the site:

DIVISION 2 - Melges 23, Melges 24, J/105

PRO Dave Brennan

When did Melges start building the Melges 23? Dyslexia at it's best.

That's f-ing funny bro. Got an invite to the Mumm party last night. I said, "Is staggie gonna punch me in the nose?" Answer: It's a Mumm party - he's not invited!

Just in time for cabin fever season. Good stuff.

John Edwards is one of the best in the sport (in terms of sportsmanship/competitiveness/and all around great guy). Can't imagine a more deserving person for the award. Raced against him on the J/29 in Chesapeake Bay and his daughter lived in our house for a summer while finishing up school. Great folks.

BTW, tomorrow we'll have a pretty funny tour of Point Loma Outfitting's San Diego shop up here. It'll make you laugh, especially if you know us, Tom, or the shop. And Mer models some tight-ass shorts.

Waiting for postponed race, light and lumpy still. Anyone have a clue when the breeze will come back?

Alright, I'm going up on the fly bridge to teach Quint how to drive a fucking press boat.

Alright, I'm going up on the fly bridge to teach Quint how to drive a fucking press boat.

And tell Rev. Peety that he should have had ME driving that rib for him and the girls. His shots aren't going to be nearly as good or as close now... LOL

any results yet?

Premiere will do results when there dam good and ready, who do you think they are? Yachtscoring?

Well - THAT was a fucking mess. Wait'll you see the video of this asshat in a press boat basically covering us so that we couldn't get any shots at all! It's entertaining...

What did John win? I sailed with him more than 10 years ago.

John and Linda received the Paul Washburn "For the love of sailing" award. Very cool.

And you gotta love the photographer chick on the bow yelling at us - she's got a bigger bald spot than me.

any results yet?

Bueller? Bueller?

Bueller???.........and on and on.......and on....and... How hard can it be?

Cheers,

MikeR

John and Linda received the Paul Washburn "For the love of sailing" award. Very cool.

And you gotta love the photographer chick on the bow yelling at us - she's got a bigger bald spot than me.

Clean, that's not a "bald" spot! Were there 2 of them? ;-)

any results yet?

Premiere will do results when there dam good and ready, who do you think they are? Yachtscoring?

That's pretty fricking precious and funny! Love it! Owe you a drink!

I think I'd rather be shark fishing than sitting in this stinky tub.

I've got Josh Eitle's cell phone number if you need a pickup -- He knows how to drive a boat

Results are being processed

Processing? What processing? First boat across the line wins..oh, I forgot, thats OD racing. My bad.

Cheers,

MikeR

Results are being processed

What sort of processing, word processer?

Damn, trumped by MikeR.

What SC 37 is Larry Leonard on?

Well - THAT was a fucking mess. Wait'll you see the video of this asshat in a press boat basically covering us so that we couldn't get any shots at all! It's entertaining...

Which dickweed was that?

So the IRC 1 stuff was Rosebud, Ran, Rio, Anema Core, Synergy

Farr 40:

Barking Mad splits the gate, dead even with Mascalzone Latino, though ML took the right gate and BM took the favored left gate. USA 2 next, Joe Fly just after them. Flash way in the back of the pack.

I've got Josh Eitle's cell phone number if you need a pickup -- He knows how to drive a boat

He's gone, we tried! Tomorrow should be better - same boat as last year, with another young hot shot driver, not afraid to mix it up with these idiots that scream "we're press! We're press!

Which dickweed was that?

Not sure - but you can damned well bet I'll find out.

Observations on relative speed of King 40, SC37, J122, A40rc. Love to see comparisons on the new prod IRC boats!

Too much going on to figure that out just yet, but by the end of the week we should have some very good footage and a solid idea of who's who and what's fast. I'll tell you what though - seeing all those 40-ers on the line is pretty sexy.

"Press Boat War" vids are loading now.

post-6186-1232385816_thumb.jpg

You got a story on this move? Kite looks pretty f*cked up here.

Great pics btw, Mer's new L glass looks like the sh*t.

Thats one of those fake gybes dont you know

Bottom Mark:

Swans (award for most pretentious name?)

Celeritas

Arethusa

Apparition

Tiburon

Vitesse

Long Echo

IRC2:

Cool Breeze

NGONI

First Light

Soozal

Act One

Gold Digger

Owner turned boat before kite rotated. Standard j105 B fleet maneuver.

Thanks brother - It's a hell of a nice lens. Couple of headstay wraps in that weird pre-storm breeze on the 105s. Still shifting quite a lot - back to the right at the moment.

Listen - since JITillIDie went to lunch, someone else can win a sexy shirt from Point Loma Outfitting, the supplier of our official (and hot) patagonia gear. Help fill in the reports from around the web, and win!

Even worse, the bow guy led the sheets inside the forestay. He needs to gybe back over and re-run the lines, FUBAR foredeck work. I would still rather be there on that boat then here looking at it while it is snowing outside!

It looks like an inside jibe(inside the forstay on starboard sheet).The point man will run that sheet on the outside of the forstay next time..Not that bad,maybe a bit slow.

They are being processed or something silly like that.

What does "processing" mean? Don't the times just get entered?

Ugly on a J105. Brutal and deadly on a J120! Nothing like watching a boat just keep going past the leeward mark with the kite wrapped so tight around the forestay the only way to get it down is to hoist someone to the top!

Totally awesome shit you been doing, Clean... and the pics and videos are giving me a woodie!

Not anywhere near cold enuf in Wyoming, 55 degrees at 11:30 MDT. Oh well...

Keep up the great work...beats the hell out of shoveling snow out of my San Juan 23!

Division 1 - IRC 1, Farr 40, Swan 42, IRC 2, Farr 30 Reporter: Steve Washburn(SW)/Susan Burnside

1340H: (SB) We are set up for a windward finish. Rosebud should be here in about 5 minutes - way out in front of everyone else.

1337H: (SW) Div. 1 is setting up the windward finish line and getting ready to finish the fleets.

1301H: (SW) Wind @ 280 10 knots, Smooth seas, puffs to 12

All Div 1 classes on the course for race 2

Rosebud just rounded the gate completing her first lap

1239H: (SW) Race #2 is in the process of getting started- IRC 1 and the Farr 40's are on the course.

Division 2 - Melges 32, Melges 24, J/105 Reporter: Cindy Saunders

1334H: ARKLE had to put a man in the water to clear so it must have been wrapped pretty good.

M24 are starting now .... jibs out and all clear. The contrast between the dark horizon, the blue water, and the white sail will make for some great photos.

1332H: FINALLY ... the M32 are off and running ... all clear on the starting line but it was OH SO close. They are now heading off to the pretty side of the course. Weather mark boat is splashing at 1.7 nm at 275. RC is removing center line boat for the M24 class ... ARKLE CAN134 got hung up on their anchor line and not enough time to get in position again.

1319H: Good news .. that squall will go south of us

Division 3 - J/80, PHRF 1, PHRF 2, PHRF 3, PHRF 4

Reporter: Joy Dorethy

1333H: Getting ready to go to weather mark for an upwind finish. Clouds are everywhere but wind is holding.

1321H: PHRF 3: Mother Ocean and Thunderbolt. Mother Ocean moving fast for an Oday 40 rating 135.PHRF 4: Carriabean Soul and Thunderbox battling it out. Blah, blah, blah coming through strong.

1318H: PHRF 1: Kali got pushed over the line by XS and had to come back.

PHRF 2: Rush up front again

J80: lots of discussion going on out there - a lot of up, ups...

1317H: Wind 270 and 8-12 knots. Holding

Funny - the Marten 49 "Pace" from England just caught the mark with no one around, and they're dragging it upwind.

Ugly on a J105. Brutal and deadly on a J120! Nothing like watching a boat just keep going past the leeward mark with the kite wrapped so tight around the forestay the only way to get it down is to hoist someone to the top!

That is one of our DIYC guys, so......................

Keep moving, nothing to see here......Keep moving, nothing to see.........nothing to see, keep moving.....

Division 1 - IRC 1, IRC 2, Farr 40, Swan 42, Farr 30

Reporter: Steve Washburn/Susan Burnside

1340H: (SB) We are set up for a windward finish. Rosebud should be here in about 5 minutes - way out in front of everyone else.

1337H: (SW) Div. 1 is setting up the windward finish line and getting ready to finish the fleets.

1239H: (SW) Race #2 is in the process of getting started- IRC 1 and the Farr 40's are on the course.

Division 2 - Merges 32, Melges 24, J/105

Reporter: Cindy Saunders

1334H: ARKLE had to put a man in the water to clear so it must have been wrapped pretty good.

M24 are starting now .... jibs out and all clear. The contrast between the dark horizon, the blue water, and the white sail will make for some great photos.

Division 3 - J/80, PHRF 1, PHRF 2, PHRF 3, PHRF 4

Reporter: Joy Dorethy

1333H: Getting ready to go to weather mark for an upwind finish. Clouds are everywhere but wind is holding.

1321H: PHRF 3: Mother Ocean and Thunderbolt. Mother Ocean moving fast for an Oday 40 rating 135.PHRF 4: Carriabean Soul and Thunderbox battling it out. Blah, blah, blah coming through strong.

Totally awesome shit you been doing, Clean... and the pics and videos are giving me a woodie!

Not anywhere near cold enuf in Wyoming, 55 degrees at 11:30 MDT. Oh well...

Keep up the great work...beats the hell out of shoveling snow out of my San Juan 23!

Glad to hear we can let some sun shine in on beautiful, DARK Wyoming in the winter. But you ain't seen nothing yet. The first day of these events is always a clusterfuck for us, especially when we're trying new shit. Tomorrow will be a much better thing.

From offshorerules.com / regatta live.

The weather threw the teams a curve ball during race 1.With both fleets starting in 10 knots the skies clouded as they headed down wind for gthe first time. the skies opened and delivered a torrential downpour which flicked the wind hard to the right and dropped to seven knots.

Melges 24 results:

Uka Uka followed by Bailout (Vince Brun) followed by John Kolious.

Melges 32 results

Star held offf an attack from Joe Woods on Red to take the gun. Third was Argo (Jason Carrol) and fourth Carlo Alberini Calvi Networks.

Race team are setting up for race two but the breeze is very light now.

D1:

1239H: (SW) Race #2 is in the process of getting started- IRC 1 and the Farr 40's are on the course

D2:

D3:

I see LZ beat me to it.

We'll get you some roudings next, and then we're off to check out the Melgi and 105s. Too many douchenozzles over here on the big boat course.

Here's the J/105 wrap. They got it sorted, only took a minute or two...

Who's sailing with Brun? It looks like a couple of North OD mesh hats. One I think is Bissell, is the other Dave Hughes? (Enright is racing on Dark n Stormy the 32.)

Dave Hughes, Ben Mitchell

1348H: J105 have start Stinger 51 ....Rum at Six 56 ... and Rock & Roll 57 were over early and have all now cleared. Everyone is racing now and the Signal boat is on the move to settle in at the top of the course to finish.

From M24 blog.

RACE 1

Awesome sailing conditions are on tap for 32 Melges 24s in beautiful Key West! Sunshine, warm temps and breeze, 8-10 mph on tap already!

Course 4, 1.4 miles, breeze pumping 10-12 out of the Southwest for the start.

The start was on time…breeze holding steady at 12 mph…

Inside 1 minute…

Alan Field, Tom Ritter, Riccardo Simoneschi, and Richard Reid nail the start on the pin end!!!

Very exciting weather rounding with rainy and some very luminous storm clouds looming in the background. It’s Vince Brun around in first, followed by Alan Field and Lorenzo Bressani on Uka Uka Racing… The rest of the fleet freight-trains past the offset…

Here comes the rain…

Around the top, Bressani takes the lead from Brun, Kolius still in third…

Uka Uka then Bailout (Brun) the John Kolious.

Wind is down to seven knots. It has been as high as 18. The heavy rain has eased but it is still wet.

With Bressani ahead of Brun, the skies are clearing for the downwind finish.

Uka Uka takes the win!! A Sardinia finish as it might be best described!! Miles ahead of Brun, then Kolius and Rast. Full Throttle finished fifth.

RACE2

The start of race two is approx. 6-7 minutes away, bearing 285, course 5… breeze is a cool 8-10 mph..

After a short postponement… New course bearing of 265…

Breeze has dropped off to 6 mph.

Race two is about to finally get underway after a pretty tremendous rain shower… The sun has returned, and has the breeze!!!

The second start is coming right up…

Or, so we thought… New course bearing of 275

Still waiting for the start…

Finally! The Melges 24s are on their way upwind, of more than an hour postponement due to really shifty and unsettled conditions.

here are those roundings for the other course:

Farr 40:

Mascalzonee

Barking

Goombay

Joe Fly

Groovederci

Plenty

Convexity

Nanoq

Oz

Flash

Spiff

IRC 2 roudings:

Cool breeze

NGogi

First Light

Soozal

Act One

Gold Digger

Team Work

J/105 roundings:

Savasana

Tenacious

Eclipse

Max Power

Wsaabi

Orangutan

Rum at six

Big Booty

Caress

Stinger

Distant Passion

1412H: First GATE rounding for M24 is WTF22 ...UKA43 ....Blu Moon16 ...Joe Fly39 ...Bailout18 First Weather Leg rounding for the J105s is Savasana55 ...Tenacious54 .... Eclipse 60 ... Max Power90 ....Wasabi52

1408H: The Flying Tiger, USA 1, is at the upwind mark, with spinnaker hour-glassed and shrimped.

They have it under control and off and running back downwind. That had to hurt.

1411H:The clouds have gone high and the sun is shining. Temps in the upper 60's. Wind is holding location and speed. Life is good.The J80's are doing their third leg.