Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

Race Week Begins

1419H: First J105 at their first leeward gate Savasana 55 at 14:15 ... Tenacious 54 ....Eclipse 50 ....Max Power 90 .... Rum at Six 56

1420H: First Melges 32 around the send weather rounding is Star 32 ... Banshee 76 ... Highlife 70 ....Bitipi 86 ....Nikasi 85

Better coverage from that site than this one. Clean is quiet. Maybe he drank too much and is passed out already?

They must be having people or tech issues...this is not their best outing so far. I will continue to complain from my couch with oreos and Miller High Life.

Here's the first of the Press Boat Wars:

Clean,

If you want I could put in a call to the local Girl Scouts and find someone more assertive to take care of this for you.

Melges 32s at the mark:

Star

Banshee

Highlife

Bitipi

Ninkasi

Calvi

Barbarians

Red

New Wave

LeenaBarca

Taboo

Mojo

Shakedown

1419H: First J105 at their first leeward gate Savasana 55 at 14:15 ... Tenacious 54 ....Eclipse 50 ....Max Power 90 .... Rum at Six 56

1420H: First Melges 32 around the send weather rounding is Star 32 ... Banshee 76 ... Highlife 70 ....Bitipi 86 ....Nikasi 85

Better coverage from that site than this one. Clean is quiet. Maybe he drank too much and is passed out already?

They must be having people or tech issues...this is not their best outing so far. I will continue to complain from my couch with oreos and Miller High Life.

agreed.... although I'm sure just working out the cobwebs.

24s and 32s are on a six legger, looks like, for the final race.

Melges 32s at the mark:

Star

Banshee

Highlife

Bitipi

Ninkasi

Calvi

Barbarians

Red

New Wave

LeenaBarca

Taboo

Mojo

Shakedown

------------------------------------------

Ouch! Rough start for the champs on New Wave!!! Any insight? Are they getting caught on the wrong side of big shifts or dogged out at the start???

1418H: IRC 1 and Farr 40 have finished no protests. Mascalzone Latino won the second race - nice way to start the week - 2 bullets

Results for F40 race 2?

1437H: El Ocaso was second, then Turning Pt, Wairere, EmOcean

1438H: First J105s to round the second windward Rock& Roll 57 ...Tenacious 54 ... Eclipse 50 ...Max Power 90 ...Wasabi 52

1442H: Kali, then Primal Scream. We will have to wait for time corrections to see how this plays out.

For PHRF-2, Rush , good girl

div 1 is done for today.

It's a little of both, but we sort of expected it. Most photogs will tell you that the boat driver is like a bowman - a good one you hardly notice, and makes you look good. A bad one? Crap. Our boat is terrible, but was the best we could do for today due to the usual unforeseen crap, our tech is a bit glitchy, and our personnel include a few newbies with bewbies that don't understand the plan.

We know it's going to get a lot better, and quickly - so thanks for putting up with it, and for sticking with us.

1437H: El Ocaso was second, then Turning Pt, Wairere, EmOcean

1438H: First J105s to round the second windward Rock& Roll 57 ...Tenacious 54 ... Eclipse 50 ...Max Power 90 ...Wasabi 52

Are the J105's doing 4 or 6 legs?

not sure about the legs, althought for what it's worth, i think they're sailing the same course as the 24's, w/ the 32's sailing to the long mark.

BTW, the only time I have ever seen this many people in one forum was the final race of Canada's Cup OTW coverage. I imagine we'll set all kinds of SA records with the rest of the week - so THANKS!

Here's Rosebud, all by her lonesome, looking like practice day. These guys are just ridiculously good - but it sure seems boring.

Mascalzone Latino and Barking Mad split at the gate during Race 2:

The TP 52s at the same mark:

5 Legs. Finishes coming up!

It's a little of both, but we sort of expected it. Most photogs will tell you that the boat driver is like a bowman - a good one you hardly notice, and makes you look good. A bad one? Crap. Our boat is terrible, but was the best we could do for today due to the usual unforeseen crap, our tech is a bit glitchy, and our personnel include a few newbies with bewbies that don't understand the plan.

We know it's going to get a lot better, and quickly - so thanks for putting up with it, and for sticking with us.

So at the very least we should have pixs of the newbies with bewbies!

So at the very least we should have pixs of the newbies with bewbies!

I'll see what I can do...kinda chilly though! We should hope for some light air and big sun for at least a few hours this week.

Finishes coming up right now.

Is it just me, or are the F40s doing very conservative drops?

Not you!

I was thinking the same thing..... They need lessons from Rosebud!

Melges 32s:

Star by a LONG way - it must be the camera we put on board this morning.

Banshee

Bitipi

Ninkasa

Calvi

Highlife

Barbarians

Red

Leenabarca

New Wave

Taboo

Nitemare

Argo

Flat Stanley

Mojo

DarkNStormy

War Canoe

Shakedown

Lake Effect

Arkle

Melges 32s:

Star by a LONG way - it must be the camera we put on board this morning.

Banshee

Bitipi

Nah....It's the custom ProwiK TEAM shirts they are wearing... :P

Clean

is the A40 Ciao out on the water? IRC 2

According to the results they were. A little research goes a long way.

I'll find out how Philippe managed to get her out of Jersey customs and down here so quickly - he was totally depressed when I talked to him last.

Melges 24 Finishes:

1) Uka Uka Racing

2) Blu Moon

3) Joe Fly

4) WTF

5) Giacomel Audi

6) Bailout

7) KO Sailing

8) Full Throttle

9) Team Peacemaker

10) Lounge Act (go the JAG!)

11) Babs

12) Monsoon

13) 160 - Vowels

14) Conveixity (Jennifer)

15) Unsponsored

16) Carloan.com

17) Zen

18) Titiana

19) Tramp

20) Party Girl

21) Obsession

22) Team Peacemaker (2)

23) Zingara

24) Millewa Milluna

25) Rumor

26) Team Jacuzzi

27) Riot Act

28) Warpath

29) Go Get Momma

30) Matador

31) Cujo

Did the Premiere bloggers go away?

J/105 finishes:

1) Eclipse

2) Savasana

3) Max Power

4) Tenacious

5) Rum At Six

6) Big Booty

7) Rock And Roll

8) Wasabi

And that's when we lost our steering and headed off the course. Mate Jerry went down and fixed up, though he came up covered iun Hydraulic fluid.

1511H: Pardon an end-of-day technical blurp and we missed the last few posts from our reporters. I'll meet with them in a few to get some thoughts from the day. It'll likely be a video post later. Cheers and thank you for tuning in!

226 User(s) are reading this topic (57 Guests and 9 Anonymous Users)

Very cool! I love to see this stuff. 226 users on the thread translates into thousands and thousands of people over the course of the day.

Clean

I'll find out how Philippe managed to get her out of Jersey customs and down here so quickly - he was totally depressed when I talked to him last.

Melges 24 Finishes:

1) Uka Uka Racing

2) Blu Moon

3) Joe Fly

4) WTF

5) Giacomel Audi

6) Bailout

7) KO Sailing

8) Full Throttle

9) Team Peacemaker

11) Babs

12) Monsoon

13) 160 - Vowels

15) Unsponsored

16) Carloan.com

17) Zen

18) Titiana

19) Tramp

20) Party Girl

21) Obsession

22) Team Peacemaker (2)

23) Zingara

24) Millewa Milluna

25) Rumor

26) Team Jacuzzi

27) Riot Act

28) Warpath

29) Go Get Momma

30) Matador

31) Cujo

Warpath had a tough first day. Fetzer and co better get their shit moving!! Is their chaseboat getting in the way?

1511H: Pardon an end-of-day technical blurp and we missed the last few posts from our reporters. I'll meet with them in a few to get some thoughts from the day. It'll likely be a video post later. Cheers and thank you for tuning in!

good eye

Did the Premiere bloggers go away?

J/105 finishes:

1) Eclipse

2) Savasana

3) Max Power

4) Tenacious

5) Rum At Six

6) Big Booty

7) Rock And Roll

8) Wasabi

And that's when we lost our steering and headed off the course. Mate Jerry went down and fixed up, though he came up covered iun Hydraulic fluid.

Go Damien!

Also, great day for Max Power!

Smaller fleet, but should still be some great racing this week for the J105's.

Does anyone know why Masquerade pulled out??

Clean, if it wasn't for OTW there wouldn't be other same day coverage, you guys drove the envelope. Good on ya! And the vid's are STILL crack, keep 'em coming, they're all good! And yes, you delivered on the promised elimination of "shaky camera" technic and herky jerky switch action shots. Nicely done. I'm praying for the promised snow storm here in NC so I can watch all day tomorrow too! Cheers, Winever.

Clean

Melges 24 Finishes:

1) Uka Uka Racing

2) Blu Moon

3) Joe Fly

4) WTF

5) Giacomel Audi

6) Bailout

7) KO Sailing

8) Full Throttle

9) Team Peacemaker

11) Babs

12) Monsoon

13) 160 - Vowels

15) Unsponsored

16) Carloan.com

17) Zen

18) Titiana

19) Tramp

20) Party Girl

21) Obsession

22) Team Peacemaker (2)

23) Zingara

24) Millewa Milluna

25) Rumor

26) Team Jacuzzi

27) Riot Act

28) Warpath

29) Go Get Momma

30) Matador

31) Cujo

Ciao got cleared and arrived bare on Friday in KW. Had a couple days to commission and get it game ready. They are out there Now Stu.

Very cool! I love to see this stuff. 226 users on the thread translates into thousands and thousands of people over the course of the day.

Don't forget this is MLK day. The number will probably double when people get back to there desks. :lol:

Not you!

Rosebud finished 3+ minutes behind the winning boat in race 1. Maybe they need some lessons???

Not you!

Rosebud finished 3+ minutes behind the winning boat in race 1. Maybe they need some lessons???

You don't get out much do you

Not you!

Time certainly wasn't lost on their leward drops. (As testified in Clean's video) > the point in question<

Get a life , there's better fish to "fry" ... we're all miserable sitting in snow missing this year's show.

Cheers!

Don't forget this is MLK day. The number will probably double when people get back to there desks. :lol:

Holy crap - I forgot that!

Thanks for the kind words. Mer just reminded me that I always feel like I've failed everyone on the first day - she suggested she wear a shirt the first day that says, "day 1 always blows."

Seriously though, I just have really high standards for what I want to show you guys. If we'd done this two years ago, we would have been incredibly psyched - but we keep raising the bar, and that means that I'm still disappointed in today. BUT - I do know that it will get a hell of a lot better in every way, and that this week will be the best, and the most watched OTW report by far.

One thing that is a bit tough is that a lot of the fleets are just not that interesting. A Farr 40 fleet with 12 boats and a Mumm 30 fleet with 5 just isn't worth watching. Handicap is good to take pictures of, but also kind of useless to spectate since we're just not equipped to do handicap scoring. But we don't just want to stay with the Melgi and 105s, because there is so much else going on. Ideas?

Not you!

This is Anarchy....And they finished 3/8. Just above mid fleet.

A quick message from our friendly sponsor DaxOneTouch:

"Great job today - watched all day!"

"I wanted to remind you that Anarchists can order our OneTouch Winch Handles for 20% off if they enter the code "KW09" in the Discount Coupon Code when checking out their shopping cart from the site - good til the end of February!"

Not you!

Time certainly wasn't lost on their leward drops. (As testified in Clean's video) > the point in question<

Get a life , there's better fish to "fry" ... we're all miserable sitting in snow missing this year's show.

Cheers!

Alright, maybe in your world three minutes behind the leader is a good thing. Anyone with a big check book can buy a first to finish, they are going to need more than clean mark roundings to move up.

If you're miserable it sounds like a personal problem.

Thanks for the kind words. Mer just reminded me that I always feel like I've failed everyone on the first day - she suggested she wear a shirt the first day that says, "day 1 always blows."

Seriously though, I just have really high standards for what I want to show you guys. If we'd done this two years ago, we would have been incredibly psyched - but we keep raising the bar, and that means that I'm still disappointed in today. BUT - I do know that it will get a hell of a lot better in every way, and that this week will be the best, and the most watched OTW report by far.

One thing that is a bit tough is that a lot of the fleets are just not that interesting. A Farr 40 fleet with 12 boats and a Mumm 30 fleet with 5 just isn't worth watching. Handicap is good to take pictures of, but also kind of useless to spectate since we're just not equipped to do handicap scoring. But we don't just want to stay with the Melgi and 105s, because there is so much else going on. Ideas?

I fixed my need for more by reviewing the FRIDAY posts. Then put my pants on and back to OTW. Repeat every 15 mins.

I suggest you get Mer and put her in a very tight tee shirt with your slogan on it: "day 1 always blows." and then add the phrase "and so do I"

Just a thought. :lol:

Alan- I believe that there are about 15 j80s that could use some coverage. Great job so far, almost like being there. Tell Mer that the quality of the photography is awesome.

Would be great to see a video of Kris and Brian.

Sittin' here watching the snowfall.

Cheers,

MikeR

I like Farr 40s (I like big boats) and with 12 of them, many with great talent, it is still very interesting (provided the racing is tight).

I agree the Mumm 30s just don't have enough boats on the line to justify the coverage. But a vid of whatever

action you can get is better than nothing.

Hey Clean, just don't forget that an awful lot of those here don't get to sail one design like the 32's and 24's so the handicap fleets offer something to a lot of people. I've got friends down there in both groups and I'm equally interested. Plus the sheer boat porn of Rosebud doing a sweet chute drop is priceless.

Admit it: you'd give a nut to be on that boat for the week.

Hey Clean,

How about on the handicap stuff, just put someone on a stopwatch at the marks and post the time splits and let the anarchists on line do the math....just a thought...

Alan- I believe that there are about 15 j80s that could use some coverage. Great job so far, almost like being there. Tell Mer that the quality of the photography is awesome.

Would be great to see a video of Kris and Brian.

Sittin' here watching the snowfall.

Cheers,

MikeR

I second that.... since I know some of the people on a few of those 'dump trucks'. :rolleyes:

Coverage today was 20 times better than it was last year

- There was racing this year...

Hey Clean, just don't forget that an awful lot of those here don't get to sail one design like the 32's and 24's so the handicap fleets offer something to a lot of people. I've got friends down there in both groups and I'm equally interested. Plus the sheer boat porn of Rosebud doing a sweet chute drop is priceless.

Majority of people here could care less about the PHRF fleets down there. The only interesting handicap fleet is IRC 1 because the boats are big and fast. The big OD fleets are the crowd-pleasers.

Clean, if it wasn't for OTW there wouldn't be other same day coverage, you guys drove the envelope. Good on ya! And the vid's are STILL crack, keep 'em coming, they're all good! And yes, you delivered on the promised elimination of "shaky camera" technic and herky jerky switch action shots. Nicely done. I'm praying for the promised snow storm here in NC so I can watch all day tomorrow too! Cheers, Winever.

Winever's right - EXACTLY THE POINT !!

Outside my window the SNOW is coming down and its freezing cold. Watching OTW with near RT sail racing is a treat !!

Majority of people here could care less about the PHRF fleets down there. The only interesting handicap fleet is IRC 1 because the boats are big and fast. The big OD fleets are the crowd-pleasers.

There are plenty of people who want to see what the 3rd circle is doing.

I say a lot of the same things in this intro video - but check it out, and welcome to the fourth annual Key West OTW Anarchy Report - thank you all so much for letting us share it with you.

Not you!

not too good at math are ya

Not you!

not too good at math are ya

Apparently the way you do math I'm not. Mid fleet would be 4/8. Just above mid fllet would be 3/8.

You aren't very good at speaking or writing are you? What is "ya". Is that a word that stupid people who do retarded math use?

Viewing the M32's, M24's and j/105's can get a little tedious. I vote for more coverage of the handicap fleets, both circles. More eye candy! And Second the newbie bewbies!

Clean

Melges 24 Finishes:

1) Uka Uka Racing

2) Blu Moon

3) Joe Fly

4) WTF

5) Giacomel Audi

6) Bailout

7) KO Sailing

8) Full Throttle

9) Team Peacemaker

11) Babs

12) Monsoon

13) 160 - Vowels

15) Unsponsored

16) Carloan.com

17) Zen

18) Titiana

19) Tramp

20) Party Girl

21) Obsession

22) Team Peacemaker (2)

23) Zingara

24) Millewa Milluna

25) Rumor

26) Team Jacuzzi

27) Riot Act

28) Warpath

29) Go Get Momma

30) Matador

31) Cujo

Warpath had a tough first day. Fetzer and co better get their shit moving!! Is their chaseboat getting in the way?

Wow...wtf is going on with those douche noodles

Yeah and alot of yachties will be at the Obamaguration tomorrow.

Get some vid of my dad on Seefest!

I think the majority of the people could care less about your fucking opinion or mine for that matter. The flash big bucks programs get all the coverage from the regular outlets, how about the regular boats, i.e PHRF, J80s...

If you don't want PHRF coverage don't read it, I don't read about how completely and totaly awesome the Rosebut program is and how they are just the cat's ass.

I think the majority of the people could care less about your fucking opinion or mine for that matter. The flash big bucks programs get all the coverage from the regular outlets, how about the regular boats, i.e PHRF, J80s...

If you don't want PHRF coverage don't read it, I don't read about how completely and totaly awesome the Rosebut program is and how they are just the cat's ass.

Well put.

You might as well be an equal opportunity offender and go cover the other circles. They might be a little more welcoming over there. Isn't that where some of the more compelling stories are? More opportunity to view clusterfucks up close.

Cover them all as much as you can without running around ragged and missing more than you see. It's a long week, just ration it out.

Sure we want to see the big boat/dollar programs and how slick they are, but like has been said, there are quite a few friends out there that a lot of us would like to see in the other classes/circles.

Your coverage is great, just don't get hung-up on wanting to show one circle or the other. Yeah, the numbers being down cut-out some of the overall excitement, but us home-bound ones will enjoy it all and appreciate yours, and the sponsors, efforts for the week.

Clean

Stu,

I saw the A-40 being towed back to the basin today after racing. Dunno the deal for sure...but did see them racing.

They were right next to us on Saturday when we were setting up the boat....they were cutting fabricating, & building all day. We watched them install the sprit, but today I saw a regular spin pole with a sym kite. Considering the amount of work they were doing on Sat. I think it is amazing they even made it to the race course.

HB

You might as well be an equal opportunity offender and go cover the other circles. They might be a little more welcoming over there. Isn't that where some of the more compelling stories are? More opportunity to view clusterfucks up close.

Maybe some coverage of Division 3 with a nice big banner "Go Dump Trucks and Shitboxes "?

Clean

Stu,

I saw the A-40 being towed back to the basin today after racing. Dunno the deal for sure...but did see them racing.

They were right next to us on Saturday when we were setting up the boat....they were cutting fabricating, & building all day. We watched them install the sprit, but today I saw a regular spin pole with a sym kite. Considering the amount of work they were doing on Sat. I think it is amazing they even made it to the race course.

HB

I think Wash has a photo or two. Great pics from him, BTW.

BTW, the only time I have ever seen this many people in one forum was the final race of Canada's Cup OTW coverage. I imagine we'll set all kinds of SA records with the rest of the week - so THANKS!

Here's Rosebud, all by her lonesome, looking like practice day. These guys are just ridiculously good - but it sure seems boring.

Clean asks a legitimate question about whether it is boring to sail around by ourselves but there is a logical answer. It takes a long time to put together a team as good a that which we have onboard Rosebud. If we do not sail and train, the team will dispurse and the program will loose all the knowledge we have gained over the past 2 years.

It is impossible to pull the boat out of storage and rock up to a major regatta and hope for a satisfactory result. We have just finished a complete refit of the boat since our return from the Med. We are now in the process of discovering how the changes we have made to the boat have changed the performance and handling of the boat.

We had a great race from Fort Lauderdale to KW and now we are learing about getting the boat around the cans. To be honest, KW is very limiting for us because of how short the legs are (2 Miles) and how shallow it is. Today in the first race, we could only sail for about 2 minutes off the start line on starboard before we would hit bottom. We had the same limitation at the top mark. However, maybe this distraction is good practice for Cowes???

Regardless, the KW Feeder and KWRW will help to prepare us better for the Jamaica race in 2 weeks and for the rest of 2009.

Malcolm

Rosebud/ Team DYT

Clean asks a legitimate question about whether it is boring to sail around by ourselves but there is a logical answer. It takes a long time to put together a team as good a that which we have onboard Rosebud. If we do not sail and train, the team will dispurse and the program will loose all the knowledge we have gained over the past 2 years.

It is impossible to pull the boat out of storage and rock up to a major regatta and hope for a satisfactory result. We have just finished a complete refit of the boat since our return from the Med. We are now in the process of discovering how the changes we have made to the boat have changed the performance and handling of the boat.

We had a great race from Fort Lauderdale to KW and now we are learing about getting the boat around the cans. To be honest, KW is very limiting for us because of how short the legs are (2 Miles) and how shallow it is. Today in the first race, we could only sail for about 2 minutes off the start line on starboard before we would hit bottom. We had the same limitation at the top mark. However, maybe this distraction is good practice for Cowes???

Regardless, the KW Feeder and KWRW will help to prepare us better for the Jamaica race in 2 weeks and for the rest of 2009.

Malcolm

Rosebud/ Team DYT

Can someone please explain to me how to access the current races on Kattack? All I can get are those from 2008.

Waiting....waiting....waiting.

Cheers for the Chameleons!!

MikeR

Also, props to Joydot for the great photos from circle 3!! Terrific job.

Hope to see Clean there soon.

Cheers,

MikeR

Malcolm

Rosebud/ Team DYT

Malcolm

Rosebud/ Team DYT

Is Kiwi Mark Kroening racing with y'all? It looked like him in the pics. What's he doing onboard (job-wise)?

Can someone please explain to me how to access the current races on Kattack? All I can get are those from 2008.

Waiting....waiting....waiting.

Cheers for the Chameleons!!

MikeR

Make sure you update the program of races. Click on the "Update My Races" green button on the left side of the screen. They have several of the races up.

Div 1 - Race 1 is now up

Div 3 is also up:

http://www.premiere-racing.com/09_KW_Resul...w09_div3_R1.htm

No surprise.

Rumor won the J80's

WTF! DIV. 3 PHRF 1: Dougie and "XS" owes the fleet anywhere 42 to 72 seconds a mile!?? That's insane for a rating bracket.

Go Doug and funky looking boat!

No shit. Waiting, watch in hand, waiting, waiting, waiting...

At least we have plenty of time between starts.

Div 1 - Race 1 is now up

Div 3 is also up:

http://www.premiere-racing.com/09_KW_Resul...w09_div3_R1.htm

No surprise.

Rumor won the J80's

WTF! DIV. 3 PHRF 1: Dougie and "XS" owes the fleet anywhere 42 to 72 seconds a mile!?? That's insane for a rating bracket.

Go Doug and funky looking boat!

No shit. Waiting, watch in hand, waiting, waiting, waiting...

At least we have plenty of time between starts.

Wild! Put a sundial on the time.

'm guessing that Judah is on New Wave. Is Jeff (and most of the old Abbey Normal crew) with you guys?

Keep up the good work! Good Luck

Malcolm

Rosebud/ Team DYT

Malcolm

Rosebud/ Team DYT

For anyone that has done "high level" handicap sailing. it isnt boring, it is just different. In one design you are tactically dealing with relative gains, which allows you to burn away some of your lead in order to cross the line first. In hanidcap sailing it is all "absolute gains" no resting you need to drive, and extend for the entire race. I have done a lot of both types of racing and find them both really challenging. If you are in Key West during the 3rd month of January, you're probably not bored.