Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

Back In The Saddle - In 30 Knots!

Thanks for the awesome job, Clean and crew. Now how about those pictures from War Canoe ? Any audio ? If you could take pictures, I'm sure you could hear JD.

Still waiting on the official results but it looks like El Ocaso might have pulled off a 2 & 1 today in PHRF 1.

yep! Primal Scream will be hard to catch at this point!! 1 throw out after the 7th race correct?

Yep.

Go Anal Cream!

Going to have to send out congrat's to Jim and the Gold Digger crew for stepping up the game today in IRC2 in the J44!!

Regards

Hear, Hear!

I second that!!! Go Gentleman Jim!

Still waiting on the official results but it looks like El Ocaso might have pulled off a 2 & 1 today in PHRF 1.

yep! Primal Scream will be hard to catch at this point!! 1 throw out after the 7th race correct?

Yep.

Go Anal Cream!

Go the BC!

Definitly get to someone on XS, Anarchist Brian Malone was with them, maybe one of the Leibel's also.

1403H: J105s to finish Savasana 55 ...by a long lead ...Eclipse 50 ... Max Power 90 ... Rock & Roll 57... Another Hazard 40

must be the boat

what happened to the Masquerade? Is the boat sitting at the dock in KW? Or never got there?

Clean:

I'll match the DAX deal! Use the Promo Code "OTWA9" and you will get a 20% on all of the products we offer.

Keep it up!

TC

Where is this promo code to be used?

Clean:

I'll match the DAX deal! Use the Promo Code "OTWA9" and you will get a 20% on all of the products we offer.

Keep it up!

TC

Where is this promo code to be used?

Go to our website: www.onetouchhandle.com

- hit the big orange 'Order Online' button and fill your shopping cart.

- during check-out process you'll see a line to enter a Discount Coupon

- enter 'KW09" (without the quotes) and a 20% discount will automatically be applied

Buy a bunch - Sail Fast !!

What happened to the rig on XS the custom 41 heard they lost it going down hill. Any thoughts on the reason for failure?

Report was it broke just below the spreaders just before the 1st mark rounding today.

I'm sure the crew will chime in with details later...

How big do they make those carbon fiber splint fixes?? :-)

what happened to the Masquerade? Is the boat sitting at the dock in KW? Or never got there?

Coates had a personal issue. All is well, but he couldn't make the event.

Going to have to send out congrat's to Jim and the Gold Digger crew for stepping up the game today in IRC2 in the J44!!

Regards

Nothing for your buddy on Enema & Sore?..

Regards

Hey they are hanging in there, IRC1 pack is splitting into 2 groups, they are hanging on to the top half staying within striking distance of a podium finish,

There are still 3 days left, as we all know if you can be in a position Friday morning to step up the game and end up on the podium, you have had a good week!!

That is a tough group to hang with and for now they are hanging tough.

Now I am going to have to send the Nazi to Detroit!!

Just wanted to post credit to a good crew getting the not so new design (J44) up in the mix, and hell they always have a great party on the boat in BDA!!

Regards

J-122 beats the King 40 by 2 secs corrrected in IRC Race 4.

Great stuff. That rivalry will have legs in lots of locales and for a lot of years.

Regards

Hey they are hanging in there, IRC1 pack is splitting into 2 groups, they are hanging on to the top half staying within striking distance of a podium finish,

There are still 3 days left, as we all know if you can be in a position Friday morning to step up the game and end up on the podium, you have had a good week!!

That is a tough group to hang with and for now they are hanging tough.

Now I am going to have to send the Nazi to Detroit!!

Just wanted to post credit to a good crew getting the not so new design (J44) up in the mix, and hell they always have a great party on the boat in BDA!!

Regards

GO THE SCHNITZEL!

What happened to the rig on XS the custom 41 heard they lost it going down hill. Any thoughts on the reason for failure?

Report was it broke just below the spreaders just before the 1st mark rounding today.

Most carbon masts are built in segments ( as much for shipping and ease of handling ) The segments are glued together. The joints are made with an inner sleeve. An inner sleeve is genarally also used in areas of high loads and rig attachments ( goose neck, vang, spreaders, etc. )

Their repair should be a "cut and paste" type of thing. The hardest part is deciding where to cut or what to cut out. A call to the mast manufacturer to discuss where to perform the surgery. If the mast mfg has the necessary sections available they can be

"overnighted" and the mast could be ready to go up tomorrow.

Clean -

You have GOT to get a wind screen for that microphone of yours !!!!!!!!!

We can hardly hear your BS !!

:)

Cheers Clean and Clean's team, plus the sponsors. This was great.

Not that you don't already know, but you guys are untouchable. The Melges (24 and 32) class blogs are ok, but infrequent. Sailgroove is way behind. They promised live coverage and failed. This is the dialogue from their "live feed", and please note the times and the fact that they never had any live feed of racing or sailing.

10:30 ustreamer-18965 : we are going to have a new President before we get live KW footage

10:30 pat-6906 : sorry yall

10:31 pat-6906 : we are working on it

10:31 jibeset : are we close?

10:33 ustreamer-16751 : I guess it is back to SA

10:38 jibeset : update please

10:47 jibeset : any news?

11:11 ustreamer-22997 : have you given up for today?

12:26 ustreamer-22657 : Wow. That was impressive. Retards.

12:59 ustreamer-0 : welllllllll

04:28 ustreamer-96415 : busch league... when amateur hour is over and you guys are ready to play in the big leagues, let the rest of the world know.

Nice job in the M24's from Alan Field, for those that didn't catch it he has Steve Hunt as his shot caller. Steve and Crew Mike Miller were the #1 US 470 Team until Paul turned on the afterburners. Very, very good.

What happened to Emocean? A VERY well sailed program from Charleston evidently having a rough go of things.

Looks like Good Girl isn't so bad... The trend continues. Wonder if anyone else picked up that it is a J-100 converted to a Sym Spin instead of the stock A. They rocked last year, too.

WAY TO GO TANGENT! They have been getting beat down for so long I wondered if the boat was a dog- guess not! Congrats- beating L'otrage in a race is hard enough, four in a row is something to write home about!

Is anyone shocked to see the top Melges are all Europeans? no shock here guys and gals- they sail a lot more than we do, against better people- with more boats. It does help them that most of the homegrown M24 talent is getting paid to sail 32's this week...

Anyone know why the SC37's are so different in rating? Doesn't seem to matter- either they got hosed with the ratings or something is WAY off in the sail program...

Hman

Not big enough...well sounds like a fix may be possible but for tomorrow on a custom rig? I feel that is unlikely. But hopefully they will figure out a way to get back onto the water before the week is out(very expensive week for 2 races and -1 masts) perhaps snorkeling on the reef?

Vegas et al, please try to not post duplicate vids if you can.

Thanks for your help otherwise.

Sail safe!

Trying not to - I was just asked to post the vids that are uploading via the ghost machine left on the Boat since I've got reporter juice (not as much as Clean obviously)

I guess I'll stop now - gotta run back into the conference room - Agents waiting

What happened to Emocean? A VERY well sailed program from Charleston evidently having a rough go of things.

Lost the backstay earlier today. Don't know what was going on in the other races.

Clean I keep hearing you say Jason Kerr is driving one of the SC 37's, wouldn't that be Tim Kernan who designed the boats?

Yep, sorry about that - and we got a great interview with Tim today, explaining what is going on with the SC37s. Short answer: The SC37 suffers a lot from the fact that IRC seems to really like heavy boats in the 35-43 foot range - and some of the guys they're racing are more than twice the weight of the SC. They'd catch boats downwind, and get eaten up upwind, when the chop would slow them down while having not much effect on the heavy King/Mills boats. It's a sexy course to watch though - all those boats look great.

Interviews with El Ocaso main trimmer and Tim Kernan loading now. And that third vodka really didn't make things easier, especially with no food in me.

The story on the Archambault 40 is a good one - I guess when they packed it up out of customs, the height of the whole tow was a fraction of an inch too tall. And you just don't feel something like that if you're driving a big truck...so the boat arrived with a quarter inch missing from everything, scraped off on overpasses. You can imagine the mess. The fact that the boat is here at all is pretty amazing.

True Story, I just got an email from Sylvain (UK rep) confirming the story. They are happy to be racing. No further details.

ss

The story on the Archambault 40 is a good one - I guess when they packed it up out of customs, the height of the whole tow was a fraction of an inch too tall. And you just don't feel something like that if you're driving a big truck...so the boat arrived with a quarter inch missing from everything, scraped off on overpasses. You can imagine the mess. The fact that the boat is here at all is pretty amazing.

True Story, I just got an email from Sylvain (UK rep) confirming the story. They are happy to be racing. No further details.

ss

Yet.... a picture speaks a thousand words....

Does anyone have a shot of this?????

Clean I keep hearing you say Jason Kerr is driving one of the SC 37's, wouldn't that be Tim Kernan who designed the boats?

Yep, sorry about that - and we got a great interview with Tim today, explaining what is going on with the SC37s. Short answer: The SC37 suffers a lot from the fact that IRC seems to really like heavy boats in the 35-43 foot range - and some of the guys they're racing are more than twice the weight of the SC. They'd catch boats downwind, and get eaten up upwind, when the chop would slow them down while having not much effect on the heavy King/Mills boats. It's a sexy course to watch though - all those boats look great.

This is too funny. I saw an early promotional piece on the boat. They had just gotten their first IRC certificate and it had a bunch of boats in the 1.13 to 1.19 range (including the Swan 42) and it bragged that it would beat them all, boat for boat, at a fraction of the cost. Yet, they can't even beat, boat for boat, a J-44...

I'm sorry the boat is not doing well. But as a marketer, I take great pleasure in people who are so bad at positioning their products they end up looking as bad as this.

I'm sure the SC37 is a great boat. But it certainly doesn't look that way today.

1147H: (SB) Yeoman just finished and is flying a protest flag

We got shafted literally by a bow sprit on first leg of second race (windward-leeward). Punctured the outer carbon skin but no damage to the inner skin and as we are foam not nomex it wasn't too bad. Put a quick kevlar patch to stop some water ingression. The boys from the offending boat very kindly did a running repair which looks great so we are all fine and ready to go racing tomorrow.

We'd just done a gybeset at the windward mark on XS when the runner block exploded and the mast broke just below the first set of spreaders. Rig bent a long way before breaking though. No one was hurt and we were able to get the mast on deck and everything cleaned up for the motor in. The crew has several sailmakers, riggers and sparbuilders so we immediately started looking for a place to repair the mast and got both pieces off the boat. We are in the process of splicing the mast with carbon battens screwed to the inside of both sections as well as some crazy two part epoxy Ben Hall gave to use, carbon/epoxy, and duct tape. The fact Hall looked at the repair, made some suggestions and gave us materials really boosts my confidence for when I have to go up it. We are hoping to be racing tomorrow. Pics coming soon.

This is too funny. I saw an early promotional piece on the boat. They had just gotten their first IRC certificate and it had a bunch of boats in the 1.13 to 1.19 range (including the Swan 42) and it bragged that it would beat them all, boat for boat, at a fraction of the cost. Yet, they can't even beat, boat for boat, a J-44...

I'm sorry the boat is not doing well. But as a marketer, I take great pleasure in people who are so bad at positioning their products they end up looking as bad as this.

I'm sure the SC37 is a great boat. But it certainly doesn't look that way today.

what's it rate?

Nice job in the M24's from Alan Field, for those that didn't catch it he has Steve Hunt as his shot caller. Steve and Crew Mike Miller were the #1 US 470 Team until Paul turned on the afterburners. Very, very good.

Looks like Good Girl isn't so bad... The trend continues. Wonder if anyone else picked up that it is a J-100 converted to a Sym Spin instead of the stock A. They rocked last year, too.

WAY TO GO TANGENT! They have been getting beat down for so long I wondered if the boat was a dog- guess not! Congrats- beating L'otrage in a race is hard enough, four in a row is something to write home about!

Is anyone shocked to see the top Melges are all Europeans? no shock here guys and gals- they sail a lot more than we do, against better people- with more boats. It does help them that most of the homegrown M24 talent is getting paid to sail 32's this week...

Anyone know why the SC37's are so different in rating? Doesn't seem to matter- either they got hosed with the ratings or something is WAY off in the sail program...

Hman

WAY TO GO TANGENT... as long as the wind will hold -- THEY ARE GOLD!!

Cheers to the crew!!

Regards

HONESTLY... is that the best slam you could come up with...

Heart & Soul -- much love to you!!

Vegas et al, please try to not post duplicate vids if you can.

Thanks for your help otherwise.

Sail safe!

Trying not to - I was just asked to post the vids that are uploading via the ghost machine left on the Boat since I've got reporter juice (not as much as Clean obviously)

I guess I'll stop now - gotta run back into the conference room - Agents waiting

Vegas, post all you want, I have a delete button IF i get tired of seeing them for the third time! Video is crack! More, more, more. Cheers, Winever.

No disrespect meant to Mer and the GREAT pix work she is doing.

We'd just done a gybeset at the windward mark on XS when the runner block exploded and the mast broke just below the first set of spreaders. Rig bent a long way before breaking though. No one was hurt and we were able to get the mast on deck and everything cleaned up for the motor in. The crew has several sailmakers, riggers and sparbuilders so we immediately started looking for a place to repair the mast and got both pieces off the boat. We are in the process of splicing the mast with carbon battens screwed to the inside of both sections as well as some crazy two part epoxy Ben Hall gave to use, carbon/epoxy, and duct tape. The fact Hall looked at the repair, made some suggestions and gave us materials really boosts my confidence for when I have to go up it. We are hoping to be racing tomorrow. Pics coming soon.

Go to it guys. Only two bad scores so the week is not over.

Good Luck.

Just in case this didn't make it up before:

Melges 24/32 finish:

Luigi loves me:

Tom Weaver on Rhumb Punch, angry that they left the beer on the dock today.

Regards

Slam? Hardly. The bowman on the boat is a friend and crewmate of OMOTB and I. They are positioned well in a tough class and sailing well. Even sailing poorly beats the frigid tundra around here. As for the moniker, every boat's name gets some changes on the water...

I can do better, is this a challenge? ;)

Regards

Slam? Hardly. The bowman on the boat is a friend and crewmate of OMOTB and I. They are positioned well in a tough class and sailing well. Even sailing poorly beats the frigid tundra around here. As for the moniker, every boat's name gets some changes on the water...

No challenge needed... save your dignity for something that matters!!

GO CHUCK... I'll make more cookies if you pull off a podium placement!!

Lots of Love -- Femme

Regards

No challenge needed... save your dignity for something that matters!!

Please explain.

Interviews with El Ocaso main trimmer and Tim Kernan loading now. And that third vodka really didn't make things easier, especially with no food in me.

still not seeing these did the vodka win??

Lookin for that Kearnan interview.

Is that really safe???

Yeah the sheet metal screws will be fine...maybe some duct tape? Scratch that, Gorilla tape will be better its black so it will blend right in with the rest of the spar...good as new

Is that really safe???

Yeah the sheet metal screws will be fine...maybe some duct tape? Scratch that, Gorilla tape will be better its black so it will blend right in with the rest of the spar...good as new

Well... either way... I hope they get back out there and are able to race. Sucks to come all that way and have to watch. It just looks a bit sketchy to me.

Clean... i saw you might be covering Div 3 tomorrow. If you do, think you might be able to find out what happened to Blind Faith today in the "dumptruck" class? Just wondering why they had to be towed in.

Is that really safe???

Well... either way... I hope they get back out there and are able to race. Sucks to come all that way and have to watch. It just looks a bit sketchy to me.

Yeah it take a lot of time and money to coordinate a trip to kwrw...best of luck to the skipper and crew of XS hopefully they will be able to get back to sailing soon.

Lookin for that Kearnan interview.

Kernan is petey's hi-res stuff, takes a long time to process, compress, and upload - look for it in the Day 3 thread in the morning, along with one with Bob Hiller's, main trim on El Ocaso.

Clean... i saw you might be covering Div 3 tomorrow. If you do, think you might be able to find out what happened to Blind Faith today in the "dumptruck" class? Just wondering why they had to be towed in.

While we're on the topic of Division 3....

Could you please stalk TANGENT... afterall... they are the ONLY boat in this entire regatta that has 4 consecutive 1sts.... and that's first to finish and corrected. One of today's finishes was determined by 2 seconds. Cheers to the other Annapolis, MD boat.

The Cape Fear will continue to dominate as long as the wind continues to blow.... when it dies.... oh oh -- hard times for Tangent!!

So, please, get them while they're hot -- tomorrow should blow.

However, WARNING, photograph Cliff is like photographing the Ahmish -- he's just freaky weird about that sort of thing!! It's not everyday that I get to see my husband race -- so -- any footage would be appreciated. Flown to lots of finishes and barfed on lots of races (love to hitchhiker).... but would LOVE to see some on the water footage!!

Lot of Love to Clean & Mer for a job well done!!

Femme

Is that really safe???

If I were racing against it, I know I would be sure not allow my boat to be to leeward of them at the start of first race tomorrow as they harden up...

WTF was the noise?

May want to get the crew some of those idiot hardhats..

Ish, you think you'll really be able to get out there tomorrow?

If she sets-up alright it may end-up being the stiffest part of the mast. Gotta keep her warm a little to get the epoxy to set good? Going to be in the 20-30's here in central Fla. tonight.

(I know, nowhere near what some of you are seeing, but still pretty cold for us)

Still kind of an edgy repair though...................

There are some very talented people in the crew working on it with other contributors including Ben Hall of Hall Spars who built the rig. We will not go out if it is unsafe as we were very lucky no one was hurt today and we don't want to push our luck. Those photos were just from the mocking up stage, there are about a dozen carbon fiber battens that will be held in place with shit ton of machine screws and some extremely strong epoxy given to us by Hall Spars. Then the outside of the joint will be wrapped in carbon fiber and epoxied.

While we're on the topic of Division 3....

Could you please stalk TANGENT... afterall... they are the ONLY boat in this entire regatta that has 4 consecutive 1sts.... and that's first to finish and corrected. One of today's finishes was determined by 2 seconds. Cheers to the other Annapolis, MD boat.

The Cape Fear will continue to dominate as long as the wind continues to blow.... when it dies.... oh oh -- hard times for Tangent!!

So, please, get them while they're hot -- tomorrow should blow.

However, WARNING, photograph Cliff is like photographing the Ahmish -- he's just freaky weird about that sort of thing!! It's not everyday that I get to see my husband race -- so -- any footage would be appreciated. Flown to lots of finishes and barfed on lots of races (love to hitchhiker).... but would LOVE to see some on the water footage!!

Lot of Love to Clean & Mer for a job well done!!

Femme

Will do Femme. But I'll do a better job of it if you show us something mammary.

There are some very talented people in the crew working on it with other contributors including Ben Hall of Hall Spars who built the rig. We will not go out if it is unsafe as we were very lucky no one was hurt today and we don't want to push our luck. Those photos were just from the mocking up stage, there are about a dozen carbon fiber battens that will be held in place with shit ton of machine screws and some extremely strong epoxy given to us by Hall Spars. Then the outside of the joint will be wrapped in carbon fiber and epoxied.

Onya bro. Much luck. Let me buy you a drink tomorrow.

Best of luck to you all, hopefully your work will pay off. From my vantage point behind a computer in the frozen north, I just wonder what kind of compression load that can take (having seen a compression failure in the past).

Best of luck to you all, hopefully your work will pay off. From my vantage point behind a computer in the frozen north, I just wonder what kind of compression load that can take (having seen a compression failure in the past).

I'd say that if the runner block holds-up, then they'll be OK.

dude, good luck! bummer to be down there broken, but i love the inginuity!

i have a phrase, "Ghetto Gucci" feel free to use it

bummer about XS. our day didnt go too hot either, but not quite as bad. Had a MOB, had to stuff it up to get him back onboard as he held onto the life lines. Had hourglasses galore, a torn chute... and then, at the last leeward mark, our roller furler jammed up. Excellent. Went a 1/4 the leg with no jib till we realized we could partially unroll it by unrapping it... Major kudos to the Harken guys for spending the last 4hours getting the old system off and getting a new one on. It was an obvious maintenance foulup on our part.

Had much better starts today, but couldnt seem to hold it. Either an 'unlucky' shift or a gear failure somewhere. Tomorrow should be fun.

bummer about XS. our day didnt go too hot either, but not quite as bad. Had a MOB, had to stuff it up to get him back onboard as he held onto the life lines. Had hourglasses galore, a torn chute... and then, at the last leeward mark, our roller furler jammed up. Excellent. Went a 1/4 the leg with no jib till we realized we could partially unroll it by unrapping it... Major kudos to the Harken guys for spending the last 4hours getting the old system off and getting a new one on. It was an obvious maintenance foulup on our part.

Had much better starts today, but couldnt seem to hold it. Either an 'unlucky' shift or a gear failure somewhere. Tomorrow should be fun.

Hey Mustang,

Thanks for the report.. bummer...

what are you racing a M24? which one?

Doug, Brian & all team XS: Wishing you the best of luck tomorrow!!!

Hey Mustang,

Thanks for the report.. bummer...

what are you racing a M24? which one?

Doug, Brian & all team XS: Wishing you the best of luck tomorrow!!!

Thanks. racing a 109.

Atleast, when things werent going wrong, we have the speed potential to do ok. Clock is ticking though.