Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JOD

JS9000

I know it's still early, but is there any news on the OD rules for the JS9000 ?

The design of that boat makes a weight limit obsolete, right? Any news?

Can I get an AMEN??!!!

6.1 The Maximum crew weight is unrestricted. the Maximum number of crew is four.!!

Wahooooo!!!! Finally someone who gets it!

Now, if I can just find 4 more buyers..........

JOD,

that wasn't an accident. most everyone I talked to absolutely hated weight limits and since the JS's bulb is outside the shearline at normal heel angles (30-35), what would be the point of added more weight. In fact, you are only hurting yourself if you load the rail with "power feeders."

Did you notice the part about keeping your feet inside the boat? After racing in the Etchells fleet this is the only way to go from a safety and comfort point of view.

Yeah, I did see that, and I love it. That's actually why this boat is edging out the Melges in my mind. we have a group of 9 or 10 guys here in Chicago that want to get something started, but the LIGHTEST among us is 195. most of us are around 225.

The weight limits are really retricting our options.

Guest GL Sailor

Ahhhh, the Clydesdales of the sailing world.

Wait for the boats to start coming out of Singapore before you buy one. I've got a feeling that they will proabably deliver a pretty good boat. Have you talked to Admiralty Yachts yet? With 9 - 10 buyers I'm sure you would have their undivided attention.

BTW: another not so common rule that was in the OD doc was that you could rig the boat anyway you wanted as long as the sail sizes, mast, boom, and hull were not screwed with. Who cares how you run your line or rig your blocks? Some OD rules get way too anal about that kind of thing IMO and it tends to make otherwise sensible changes illegal.

Yeah, I did see that, and I love it. That's actually why this boat is edging out the Melges in my mind.  we have a group of 9 or 10 guys here in Chicago that want to get something started, but the LIGHTEST among us is 195.  most of us are around 225.

I hate to predict its untimely demise because I really like the design; but based on the past experience of start up OD fleets in Chicago, chances are that JS9000 will be DOA.

May I inquire what other options your group has considered thus far? Is J/80 being considered?

If so, I may be interested in helping start up a OD fleet.

Yeah, I did see that, and I love it. That's actually why this boat is edging out the Melges in my mind.  we have a group of 9 or 10 guys here in Chicago that want to get something started, but the LIGHTEST among us is 195.  most of us are around 225.

I hate to predict its untimely demise because I really like the design; but based on the past experience of start up OD fleets in Chicago, chances are that JS9000 will be DOA.

May I inquire what other options your group has considered thus far? Is J/80 being considered?

If so, I may be interested in helping start up a OD fleet.

I'll keep you in the loop on that GP. It definitely has some possibilities, but that weight limit come back into play there. I suspect, as with most decisions made in this sport/hobby, it's all gonna come down to $$$$$$.