Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

Dumptruck and Shitbox

Wow - Tiger predictably at the back going upwind with these 34-41 footers, then popped the kite and started passing them all like they were on a different planet. J/80s coming up, pics and vid of the other stuff making its way online shortly. DT and SB day, white trash wednesday baby.

1103H: PHRF 1: EmOcean got the start (edit, nice), PHRF-2: the Flying Tiger was at the pin end with good air, Too Sweet took Rush's air; J80: Relentless and Angry Chameleon were ahead at the pin end with Bob Dylan and SWE621 forced to do an early tack.

1103H: Last m32 has rounded the top mark ... top five are ... Leenabarca 83 ... Star 32 ...New Wave 73 ... Argo 72 ... Banshee 76. Winds have shifted and RC is posting a change course to 030 bearing at the leeward gate

Go Al and Team Relentless.... about time ! (Even though they pushed out my old boat)

Also, great to see New Wave back in the top 3! Hoping that Marty & the boys can keep her there, where she belongs!

As far as participation-- keep in mind that if you are the head of a company with a loyal employee base-- it is bad form to go "play" sailboats in these economic times in the face of your employees who are for the most part struggling with the real world. I am hearing that this is the case for many not coming down as well.

THIS... coupled w/ the fact that a lot of the nation's heavy hitters had a previous engagement this week. Don't know if you guys in KW heard, but we had kind of a big event back here on the mainland yesterday. Lot of corporate types in DC lined up at the trough this morning.

I don't disagree that Premiere throws a great regatta. But the economy had nothing to do with the fact that the event has consistently slid from a high of 320 boats in 2002 or 3 to 264 last year....

You're sure about that?

Without exception, EVERYONE I have spoken with, who is NOT in KW this year (and who you'd consider KW 'regulars') cited the economy as the main reason they were skipping this year. NONE of them cited any dissatisfaction with the event, or, the venue. We must not talk with the same people...

Had 3 rides bail due to the economy.

1111H: M24 top roundings Giacomel Audi 42 ...Team Pacemaker 35 ... KO Sailing 38 ...Millewa Milluna 37 ... Monsoon 31

Cool! Oyster Bay boys in 2nd & 4th!!

Go Neily! (Millewa had to RET from race 4 yesterday due to a headstay that broke loose on the 2nd DW - lucky that they have a throw out in the m24's and M32's)

1111H: M24 top roundings Giacomel Audi 42 ...Team Pacemaker 35 ... KO Sailing 38 ...Millewa Milluna 37 ... Monsoon 31

And Blu Moon, Uka Uka, Joe Fly???

i'm just the messenger freezing my ass off like you. as soon as the pr bloggers post it, i'll post it. they're doing a nice job imho, btw, of keeping us up to speed w/ the courses not covered by clean.

1114H: (SB) Long Echo is flying a protest flag. Celeritas did a penalty turns - 2 tacks and 2 gybes so they must have fouled within the 3 boat length circle. Not sure if this is related to the flag on Long Echo. (SW) Farr 40's at the gate- Barking Mad, Goombay Smash first

As far as participation-- keep in mind that if you are the head of a company with a loyal employee base-- it is bad form to go "play" sailboats in these economic times in the face of your employees who are for the most part struggling with the real world.

IMHO it is the bosses who are the only ones who won't get fired for "going to play sailboats" it is the employees who can't afford to be seen as anything less than loyal. I just hope this shit show gets turned around you know the economy is fucked when life is this bad.

One boss was overheard saying, "...how can I go to Key West after I just let go 1/2 my staff...".

I should have clarified that most everyone still attending is a boss and that not all are able to attend. As for the party scene with the remainder showing up being serious racers I would think that they are not there to party as much as sail but wait till the chips fall where they may I think more will come out to play as the week gets on.

I will say no more on the economy as it is depressing and I already lost my job once this year.

I don't disagree that Premiere throws a great regatta. But the economy had nothing to do with the fact that the event has consistently slid from a high of 320 boats in 2002 or 3 to 264 last year....

You're sure about that?

Without exception, EVERYONE I have spoken with, who is NOT in KW this year (and who you'd consider KW 'regulars') cited the economy as the main reason they were skipping this year. NONE of them cited any dissatisfaction with the event, or, the venue. We must not talk with the same people...

Ditto.... Could have driven a support boat, but, then I couldn't justify the expense & time off work. sucks. (Only 2nd one that I've missed in 16+ yrs.)

1118H: (SW) ...Followed by Joe Fly, Plenty, Flash Gordo, Groovederci, Masc. L, Tur 1

1119H: Turning Point was the first PHRF1 around the gate.

Good Girl is first PHRF-2 around gate.

Big course change to 020. This is just not interesting yet. We are going to the finish to see if we can get our RIB's shots.

1122H: Man of war second, Rush has a major spinnaker wrap and has come by the RC still trying to get it down.

M24 rounding at the leeward gate Giacomel Audi 42 ... Team Pacemaker 35 ...UKA 43 ...KO Sailing 38 ... Monsoon 31

I don't disagree that Premiere throws a great regatta. But the economy had nothing to do with the fact that the event has consistently slid from a high of 320 boats in 2002 or 3 to 264 last year. Sure, 154 is way different, but what those nonattending owners are saying is: Your event is just not worth the cost. I honestly think that Premiere is listening, but only out of desperation. Had they thought about it a few years ago, they'[d be better positioned for today. The 20s? Of course that's the next movie - there doesn't seem to be much alternative - time to embrace the sporties!

It's the economy stupid. :)

I don't think the lack of entrants (or even the excess of) has anything to do with Premier. Come to think of it, I have never, ever heard anyone say, "I'm going to do Key West Race Week because I like Peter Craig and Premier Racing.

"post-679-1232554740_thumb.jpg

KWRW has been going on long before Premier and it will continue to go on after they're gone.

A LOT of people are hurting. Just think what it's like having a company down 40% for the year, laying off hundreds of workers only to run off to Key West to have a good time yachting. Some people just can't do that.

And Blu Moon, Uka Uka, Joe Fly???

i'm just the messenger freezing my ass off like you. as soon as the pr bloggers post it, i'll post it. they're doing a nice job imho, btw, of keeping us up to speed w/ the courses not covered by clean.

1114H: (SB) Long Echo is flying a protest flag. Celeritas did a penalty turns - 2 tacks and 2 gybes so they must have fouled within the 3 boat length circle. Not sure if this is related to the flag on Long Echo. (SW) Farr 40's at the gate- Barking Mad, Goombay Smash first

Agree - We're glad that they've been listening to our suggestions and providing a valuable service.

1116H: EmOcean is the last PHRF 1 around the gate. (edit, wtf, i thought they had a good start)

Seems like the boat just isn't right this week.

You're sure about that?

Ditto.... Could have driven a support boat, but, then I couldn't justify the expense & time off work. sucks. (Only 2nd one that I've missed in 16+ yrs.)

the programe i was with (M32) bailed within 48 hrs of the presidential election results.

ALright, enough about the economy talk - my throbbing brain is not good at explaining concepts today. I must say that we are going to stay here for pics and video, but this course just doesn't work for what we do for a lot of reasons. Pics look great though, be patient with us.

ALright, enough about the economy talk - my throbbing brain is not good at explaining concepts today. I must say that we are going to stay here for pics and video, but this course just doesn't work for what we do for a lot of reasons. Pics look great though, be patient with us.

This is the best coverage you have had all week, how is this not working?

You're sure about that?

the programe i was with (M32) bailed within 48 hrs of the presidential election results.

Classy leapin gnome that is funny!

You're sure about that?

did ya miss dock time for the farr?

Motherfucking power went off last night, killing our video uploads and alarm clock. Power came on at 9 AM of course, right when we were leaving. Unbelievable. The Melges party wasn't last night, it's tonight - though we made our own party, and I'm suffering for it.

I have to tell you all - downtown is depressing. I simply cannot believe how dead the town was. YOU who are familiar with KW, note that we checked out Sloppy Joe's, the Parrot, and a half dozen other places - and they were EMPTY. Any other year, all those places were completely packed, spilling over into the streets. Is it the end of an era? No idea - but something has got to change - it is NOT just the economy that has kept the sailors home. I hope that Premiere can pull it together, because this is truly a favorite for so many folks. KW is great because the allure of it is about 50% party and 50% racing. Without 200 boats, it's just an expensive regatta.

Clean- I just got back from Las Vegas, same thing, it's almost eerie there. Monday night we went to the HardRock, there were exactly 4 people in the entire bar. the streets are empty, the hotels are empty, the cab stands are empty. Friday night when i got to McCarren airport at 11pm prime Vegas time, more than half of the luggage carousels were empty, the normal hour wait for a cab was 2 minuets, anyway maybe it's not just KWRW.

great job as usual guys- I hear it's around 40 there today, it's supposed to be a balmy 35 here in Minnetonka :)

Clean- I just got back from Las Vegas, same thing, it's almost eerie there. Monday night we went to the HardRock, there were exactly 4 people in the entire bar. the streets are empty, the hotels are empty, the cab stands are empty. Friday night when i got to McCarren airport at 11pm prime Vegas time, more than half of the luggage carousels were empty, the normal hour wait for a cab was 2 minuets, anyway maybe it's not just KWRW.

Maybe its not just the economy. There have never been many sailors in Vegas

Maybe its not just the economy. There have never been many sailors in Vegas

:lol:

Our RIB is here, we are saved! Mer and Petey went to get pics, Wairere just finished, and we have times on the finishes so you can figure out who won. More vids moving now, my hands are actually frozen.

I don't disagree that Premiere throws a great regatta. But the economy had nothing to do with the fact that the event has consistently slid from a high of 320 boats in 2002 or 3 to 264 last year. Sure, 154 is way different, but what those nonattending owners are saying is: Your event is just not worth the cost. I honestly think that Premiere is listening, but only out of desperation. Had they thought about it a few years ago, they'[d be better positioned for today. The 20s? Of course that's the next movie - there doesn't seem to be much alternative - time to embrace the sporties!

I don't think the lack of entrants (or even the excess of) has anything to do with Premier. Come to think of it, I have never, ever heard anyone say, "I'm going to do Key West Race Week because I like Peter Craig and Premier Racing.

KWRW has been going on long before Premier and it will continue to go on after they're gone.

A LOT of people are hurting. Just think what it's like having a company down 40% for the year, laying off hundreds of workers only to run off to Key West to have a good time yachting. Some people just can't do that.

Laying off hundreds of people should allow them to come to KW with a bigger boat!

Let them eat cake because the world needs ditch diggers too.

1149H: M24 rounding at the leeward gate Giacomel Audi 42 ... Team Pacemaker 35 ...UKA 43 ...KO Sailing 38 ... Monsoon 31

PC crash ... we are now half way through the finishes of the Melges 24 ... taking wind readings and reconfiguring the course for the next race

1148H: 68 Good girl first to head home for PHRF-2

Wairere first finisher.

Laying off hundreds of people should allow them to come to KW with a bigger boat!

Let them eat cake because the world needs ditch diggers too.

Nice comment Judge Smails!

Primal Scream 6:02

Kali 6:10

Emocean 8:09

Funny to see the big boats pole back straight at us, with the Tiger ripping off in her own asym world.

Rev and Clean not sure if you're making it over to Div 3 PHRF 2- I'd like to see Denny's new toy W. Cent. 40 "Island Flyer"

Maybe you could get video of Mo being the asshat that has made him famous.

1151H: (SB) Rosebud has finished Race 5 at 11:32:41

Goombay Smash has passed Barking Mad at the 2nd weather mark followed by Joe Fly

Ran got pushed out past the layline at the gate and cleared the bow of the Signal Boat by 10 ft. Rio was right behind and just as close.

1154H: (SB) Goombay Smash just hit the Signal Boat at the bow and then again at the starboard quarter after gybing. They have a big scratch down their side. No serious damage to the Signal Boat as far as we can see right now - checking out below waterline. (edit - DAMN!)

1152H: M32 rounding 2nd top mark Star 32...Lennabarca 83...Red 84 ...Flat Stanley 71 ... Calvi 81 M24 top rounding Giacomel Audi 42...KO Sailing 38...UKA 43...Team Pacemaker 35 ....WTF 22 j105s top rounding Max Power 90...Savasana 55...Eclipse 50...Another Hazard 40 ...Rum at Six 56

1155H: Wairere first finisher.

El Ocaso next.

Turning Pt, Primal Scream, Kali

Sailing Anarchy visiting our finish line.

EmOcean finishing out PHRF-1 (edit, wtf is going on w/ these guys? they won 7 out of 8 races or something like that last year...)

1157H: M32 to finish Star 32 ... Leenabarca 83 ...Red 84....Flat Stanley 71...Calvi 81 M24s to finish UKA 43 ...Giacomel Audi 42 ...KO Sailing 38 ...WTF 22 ....Pacemaker 35 J105s to finish Max Power 90 ... Savasana 55...Eclipse 50...Another Hazard 40 ....Rum at Six 56. These are notes from the blogger and NOT official results.

Funny to see the big boats pole back straight at us, with the Tiger ripping off in her own asym world.

any pics of the tiger in these conditions?

Better yet, how about a video.

1201H: What you missed while I was offline ... RC moved the shorter course from 1.4nm from yesterday to 1.5nm for the M24 and J105s to give the M24s move room at the leeward mark. The M32s and M24 were rounding together. The M24s should be happier sailing in clearer air, it seems to be working out much better.

Tiger finishes overlapped with Seefest.

Here's J/80 top mark:

Tiger vid loading. Boat looks pimp. Flying, in control, pretty. Cape Fear is very quick in these conditions.

You're sure about that?

did ya miss dock time for the farr?

got the ease 3 weeks before...oh well

Go Primal Scream,

Keep kicking it. Wish I was there with you.

Once again, our report is evolving - and once again, I had little to do with it. Vegas, JI (who should be here driving his new M24 right now), and the rest of you who are posting outside info - you are turning this report into not only the best OTW action, but into a repository for all things KW. That's the beauty of this place.

1203H: we had to give up one of our mark boats to Div 1. Weather mark 2 (the shorter leg mark boat) now has to come to assist in the finishes. That leaves Weather mark 1 to guard the second top rounding for the M32 and then slide down to the shorter top mark for the M24 and J105 roundings. This all seems to be timing out perfect so far ... I've not missed any roundings.

1204H: RC is setting cause 5 ... 1.7nm and 1.5nm .. bearing 035 ... wind is now down to about 10 knots ... M32 warning will be at 12:07

1206H: Looks like no serious damage to Signal Boat. Goombay Smash hit the anchor line first which took some of the impact. The main trimmer on Goombay yelled to our foredeck crew to hit the deck and they all did to avoid being hit by the boom. They also came back and refinished and apologized.

1155H: Wairere first finisher.

El Ocaso next.

Turning Pt, Primal Scream, Kali

Sailing Anarchy visiting our finish line.

EmOcean finishing out PHRF-1 (edit, wtf is going on w/ these guys? they won 7 out of 8 races or something like that last year...)

Did anyone get the J80 finishes??

C'mon JOYDOT we need more input, please!

JI (who should be here driving his new M24 right now)

this coverage is the next best thing. i'm counting down to st. pete though, looking forward to mixing it up. fyi, chas m24 practice got moved to 1/31 if you're around.

Goombay Smash tagged us on the Signal Boat pretty good-- Sailed too close too us trying to beat out Barking Mad that they were overlapped with-- hit the anchor chain- and then smashed into our starboard bow and then again a couple of times down our starboard rail- Their boom cleared our cabin top fortunately--- some pretty good bangin' and crashin'!

this coverage is the next best thing. i'm counting down to st. pete though, looking forward to mixing it up. fyi, chas m24 practice got moved to 1/31 if you're around.

just checked St Pete NOOD entries 107 so far... it's on for Feb 13-15... no M 32 this year...boat count is off there as well

1214H: Weather mark boat reported that another melges snagged the mark and spun off ... they ran right into it not giving themselves enough room to clear. Zen happens. The action just keeps happening, so much of it that the heli might be getting TOO close for comfort. AND the M32s are off to the weather mark again ... all clear

Hells yes. Watching all this action has me jonesing to actually get ON a raceboat for a change.

did the vid with the sc37 guys get posted anywhere???

keep up the coverage OTW, cant be easy circumstances just now.

1214H: Weather mark boat reported that another melges snagged the mark and spun off ... they ran right into it not giving themselves enough room to clear. Zen happens. The action just keeps happening, so much of it that the heli might be getting TOO close for comfort. AND the M32s are off to the weather mark again ... all clear

Is there some current out there today- seems like lots of mark snags and as Wash reported Comedy boat hang ups

just checked St Pete NOOD entries 107 so far... it's on for Feb 13-15... no M 32 this year...boat count is off there as well

i think the early registration deadline is 1/26 so hopefully we'll get a spike. all this 'boat count down' stuff (although true) can turn into a self-fulfilling phophecy. i hope people realize what a bargain this event is (compared to kw). not to mention hutchinson was there last year, so it has a history of talent. and the m24 world's are in the us this year so hopefully we can get some people out of the woodworks getting ready for it.

J/80:

Rumor

Jammy Dodger (but they're being protested)

Kicks

Bob Dylan

Angry Chameleon

Veloce

SWE621

Lucky Frog

Juggernaut

Blind Faith

Relentless

Spank Me

Willy T.

Setting up for 5 legs.

1216H: M24 Rumor 46 missed the first race in is trying to make it to the course for the second .. warning signal for M24 will be 12:17 ... will he make it ??

1220H: Confederate Ram last boat on the course. But, they are out here! Sun is shining more; clouds breaking up.

this coverage is the next best thing.

I'm just happy to see you putting your new MBA to good use. :unsure:

i'm sure my employer is too.

PHRF 4:

Elysium

Lightning Rod: +3:00

Lobo Rojo +4:18

Thunderbox: +5:36

Blablabla +6:18

Caribbean Soul +6:31

Dimarian 21: + 9:11

i think the early registration deadline is 1/26 so hopefully we'll get a spike. all this 'boat count down' stuff (although true) can turn into a self-fulfilling phophecy. i hope people realize what a bargain this event is (compared to kw). not to mention hutchinson was there last year, so it has a history of talent. and the m24 world's are in the us this year so hopefully we can get some people out of the woodworks getting ready for it.

I'm not going to pretend that it's not an issue, but it's definitely not a self-fulfilling prophecy. People want to race, people love to race, and that's why the sportboats are going to do so much better over the coming years than any other type of boat - because costs have got to come down. Charleston and St. Pete will be the beneficiaries, as will the CHAW. Speaking of which, hopefully L_Z is close to getting registration up for that one - if cost is on your mind, that's the regatta to do.

With the breeze out of the NE, this Division is the only one that's out of the lee of KW. Little boats get big waves today...20 knots solid, 3-5 foot seas.

Seefest the J-29 should like that 20 knots and 3-5 ft waves is what he kicked my ass in at BBR last year.

Getting beat by an O'Day 40 twice yesterday makes me think they've got other problems.

Wairere and Primal scream beating each other up for the pin, and both are OCS! El Ocaso takes the left, Emocean wins the boat, and the two big guns are back working through the fleet.

1234H: (SW) Div 1 Posting Course 5 (Windward Finish) 025 Bearing with WM1 @ 2.5nm and WM2 at 2.0nm. IRC 1 to start in 90 seconds

Windspeed 14 - 18

1236H: Signal boat is on the move to the top of the course and will be finishing boats up there. The weather is cooler but clear with 60% blue skies ... probably the most blue we've seen yet - div 2

1237H: (SW) IRC 1 off the line all clear- Rosebud closest to the Signal Boat.

The entire IRC 1 Fleet is headed left-- no one heading right.

After 2 minutes now starting to see some of the fleet tack to port.

1239H: The buffalos (edit, ??) have calmed down. Looks like another course change will be happening - div 2

With the breeze out of the NE, this Division is the only one that's out of the lee of KW. Little boats get big waves today...20 knots solid, 3-5 foot seas.

Seefest the J-29 should like that 20 knots and 3-5 ft waves is what he kicked my ass in at BBR last year.

Getting beat by an O'Day 40 twice yesterday makes me think they've got other problems.

People so underestimate that O'day 40. Dont knock it until you sailed it. Yes it is a pig but it has a great rating and it has wheels. It likes heavy air flat water or no air at all, in between not so good but can do well. I've been on that boat in Tampa Bay in a no air regatta racing in B class and passed all A class boats boat for boat who started 5 mins in front of us. MO has suprised many people.