Sign in to follow this  

Bacon Anarchy

There is actually a tasting room in the old mental hospital/institution buildings right in town. LOL. It's in the same group of buildings where the Left Foot Charlie one was. The guy was really cool - we were the only ones there. You pay your 3 dollars for like 5 tastes, but the guy said he wasn't a fan of counting. ;) Guess he could tell we planned on walking out of there with half a case :P

There is actually a tasting room in the old mental hospital/institution buildings right in town. LOL. It's in the same group of buildings where the Left Foot Charlie one was. The guy was really cool - we were the only ones there. You pay your 3 dollars for like 5 tastes, but the guy said he wasn't a fan of counting. ;) Guess he could tell we planned on walking out of there with half a case :P

That one must be new, I was at LF Charlies in November and Black Star wasn't there. Btw, if you bring back the glass on the next trip you taste for free..

Saw a guy on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives put bacon grease into bourbon. He added the grease to a bottle of bourbon when it was still warm but not hot. Then he put the bottle in an ice bath and when the grease solidified he poured off the bourbon and it had a smokey bacon flavor.

I can't watch the video right now, but this looks interesting:

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/04/15/bb-vi...he-flaming.html

From the article:

"It's a FLAMING BACON LANCE OF DEATH. Yes, that's right, using nothing but bacon -- okay, prosciutto -- and an air hose, Mr. Gray constructs a high performance thermic lance that seriously cuts sheet metal."

3444284217_d5d118d34b.jpg

I can't watch the video right now, but this looks interesting:

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/04/15/bb-vi...he-flaming.html

From the article:

"It's a FLAMING BACON LANCE OF DEATH. Yes, that's right, using nothing but bacon -- okay, prosciutto -- and an air hose, Mr. Gray constructs a high performance thermic lance that seriously cuts sheet metal."

3444284217_d5d118d34b.jpg

"Engineering grade bacon..." Thats classic.

Combining power tools and bacon - I think every man on earth is a little bit happier now :lol:

We did Bacon Explosion version 3 Saturday. Best yet, but the bacon was too fatty.

3 lb bacon, 2.5 lb ground turkey, we had to overlap the bacon in the weave to make it longer.

salt, pepper, garlic cloves, fresh rosemary and oregano mixed into the turkey. Spread the turkey over aluminum foil instead of the bacon to make rolling easier. Sprinkled cooked bacon, and rows of mushroom and thick sliced mozzarella, then rolled. Transferred to the bacon weave, rows of mozzarella added, then rolled.

Smoked on the Webber for 2 hours, 160F internal.

It didn't need any seasoning or sauce on the outside.

saw a show last night - called something like "my favorite meals with - with bacon"

and in it famous chefs & food personalities described favorite meals

apparently there is a place in San Francisco that makes home made donuts with apples and bacon in them, and then it's glazed with a maple sugar glaze, and topped with bacon sprinkles

wow

apparently there is a place in San Francisco that makes home made donuts with apples and bacon in them, and then it's glazed with a maple sugar glaze, and topped with bacon sprinkles

wow

Is that what the Angels Greeted Farrah, MJ and Billy Mays with at the Pearly Gates?

Baconbetter_.jpg

the same show that had the bacon donut had a segment about bacon hamburgers

there was a hamburger dish with caramelized onions with bacon - OK, I thought.

So tonight I cooked burgers, and cooked a pound of thick slice bacon from the meat cutter - cut cross sideways at about 1/8 of an inch

then put half to the side and put half in a pan with two and a half medium sweet onions (Texas 1015s, or vidalia,- or equiv), and cook down till dark and caramelized (couple of hours)

cook the burgers and top with the onion & bacon mix - god damn that was good

finish with sweet corn on the grill with lime and spicy salt - man - now it's bed time - wooo

Don't know if this is a repeat, but saw it this weekend.

Clicky

Pat's Bacon Wrapped Asparagus

from FoodNetwork's Down Home with the Neelys

Ingredients

1 pound medium asparagus

Extra-virgin olive oil

Freshly ground black pepper

Salt

1 pound hickory smoked bacon (do not use thick cut)

Directions

Special Equipment: Wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes

Preheat your grill to medium-high direct heat.

Trim the asparagus of the woody ends. Place on a sheet tray and drizzle with olive oil. Season with freshly ground black pepper and salt.

Wrap bacon slices around each asparagus spear. Skewer both ends of asparagus on each side to secure the bacon. Add 3 to 4 asparagus to each skewer.

Grill skewers on direct heat until the asparagus is tender and the bacon is crisp about 15 minutes; halfway through the grilling flip the asparagus. Transfer to a platter, remove the skewers and serve.

how can you guys live without a pair o' these babies...

24314_NewsSP.jpg

bacon to go....

ford-flex-refridgerated-console-bacon.jpg

how can you guys live without a pair o' these babies...

24314_NewsSP.jpg

Do they come with non-marking soles?

And we could carry our lunch (Ok, beer) to the boat in our matching bacon lunchbox...

bacon-lunchbox_LRG.jpg

• Downvote 1

A new wave of cured-pork mania

bacon26lf1_194101gm-a.jpg

The new chocolate-covered bacon dish is a popular item at the Sweet Treats stand at the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto. JENNIFER ROBERTS FOR THE GLOBE AND MAIL

Bacon's in everything from desserts to liquor - and it's not just adventurous foodies lapping up the grease

Sarah Boesveld

From Wednesday's Globe and Mail

Last updated on Wednesday, Aug. 26, 2009 09:22AM EDT

You'd thought you'd seen it all when the Bacon Explosion, that hunk of sausage wrapped in two pounds of bacon, hit the scene with all the sizzle of a crispy fried strip. And then the Turbaconducken, a whole chicken stuffed in a duck stuffed in a turkey and enveloped in bacon, commanded every glutton's attention.

But these gratuitous ventures into bacon bliss have simply ushered in a new wave of cured-pork mania. Today, bacon's in everything from desserts to liquor - and it's not just adventurous foodies lapping up the grease.

As chocolate-soaked bacon is served up at the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto this week and International Bacon Day approaches

on Sept. 5, it's time to say bye-bye bacon-wrapped scallops and hello bacon baklava.

Sweet, sweet meat

Bacon nestled next to a stack of maple-syrup-soaked pancakes is no culinary eureka, so it's natural to salivate over a maple-glazed doughnut adorned with two strips of bacon, no? The Bacon Maple Bar is a top seller at Voodoo Doughnut in Portland, Ore., says its account manager, Kimberly Litkie. The shop serves up "at least a thousand" daily.

Their formula is simple, yet genius: "We took two pieces of thick-cut bacon, put them on a maple bar and magic happened," she says.

Earlier this month Bob Blumer, Food Network Canada's Surreal Gourmet, won top honours at an Austin, Tex., ice-cream-making competition. His winning flavour? Maple bacon crunch. Bacon has also slipped its way into cookies, brownies and cinnamon rolls. Artisan candy-makers have even whipped up maple bacon lollipops. And, fittingly, the creators of Bacon Today, a cured-pork news website, recently dressed a colleague's birthday cake with strips.

THE BACON CUPCAKE MARRIAGE

Cupcakes are a huge trend, bacon is a huge trend - it's only natural to put the two together, says Scott Kveton, CEO of Bac'n, a shop for bacon lovers in Portland, Ore. And - alas - a quaint little bakery on Toronto's Queen Street West has put the bake in bacon. Yummy Stuff owner Morag Cleeveley introduced Chocolate Oatmeal Cupcakes with Maple Bacon frosting in March, luring snackers into her shop to devour the tiny delights made with bacon-lard icing and crowned with crumpled bacon.

While pork-loving Canadians have been slower on the bacon-cupcake uptake than their American counterparts, Ms. Cleeveley says she's won over some very skeptical customers. "I would say 50 per cent of people try it just out of curiosity and 50 per cent of people are returning, loving it, wanting more."

BACON CARNIVALE

Janet Vu was wary as she dipped her plastic fork into three strips of bacon in a pool of chocolate sauce. "It's ... interesting" she said after a taste and a long pause Sunday at the Canadian National Exhibition. But the 18-year-old offered tentative praise after finishing the last strip of hickory-smoked bacon from the Sweet Treats concession stand. "I like it well enough."

Chocolate-covered bacon has become a favourite at U.S. state fairs, which spurred the CNE's food manager to introduce it at the Ex, says vendor Scott Skinkle. On Saturday, the stand sold more than 25 bacon dishes at $5 a piece. A rush of early birds bought it for breakfast Sunday, adds co-vendor Vicky Skinkle. "Most people that come up here are going, 'Ew! Bacon dipped in chocolate? What does that taste like?' " It's a simple combo of the two, she explains - nothing to be afraid of. "Then they taste it and say, 'Yes, it's really good.' "

CARNIVOROUS COCKTAILS

"I'll have a shot of Bakon please!" Canadians will be hollering this at bars by next summer if all goes well for Sven Liden and company. "We started testing with bacon-infusions a few years ago and decided that it was so good in a Bloody Mary that we wanted to make it a commercial product," says the business manager for Black Rock Spirits in Seattle. The first bottles of Bakon Vodka hit American store shelves this May. Pretty soon Mr. Liden and his colleagues were comparing it with high-end vodkas in taste tests - of course, the bacon-flavoured liquor came out on top.

Can't wait for it to hit the Canadian market? Making bacon-infused vodka at home is possible, but an ordeal (one must skim off the pork fat and strain it until the booze adopts a slight bacon taste). Better to copy bars that have employed bacon-flavoured salt to craft BLT cocktails and meatier Bloody Marys.

If hard liquor isn't your thing, earlier this month Brooklyn Brewery in New York added a bacon-flavoured brew on tap. "It's almost terrifying how much the malt smells like bacon," brewmaster Garrett Oliver told The New York Times.

We'll have another round, please.

• Downvote 1

A new wave of cured-pork mania

bacon26lf1_194101gm-a.jpg

The new chocolate-covered bacon dish is a popular item at the Sweet Treats stand at the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto.

How did I live this long without thinking of that???

Bacon Chocolate bar?

IMG_0121.jpg

It's not bad- I've had one, and a second one is sitting on the counter.

Dessert after a nicely marinated and grilled pork tenderloin, with a pinot noir.

Lemme tell ya, life is well worth living!

now tactical bacon.. 54 slices per can

1325-899-tm.jpg

<h1 class="blue">Tac Bac: Bacon with a 10-year shelf life</h1>

UNDATED -- If you are ever stranded on a remote island or need to go into a bomb shelter, fear not. You'll survive because you have the latest food product called Tac Bac. Forget beef jerky or canned ham. This is tactical bacon. That's right actual strips of fully cooked bacon in a can.

A can of Tac Bac (18 servings) has a shelf life of up to 10 years.

Of course, once you open a can of Tac Bac, you have to put it in the refrigerator.

now tactical bacon.. 54 slices per can

1325-899-tm.jpg

<h1 class="blue">Tac Bac: Bacon with a 10-year shelf life</h1>

UNDATED -- If you are ever stranded on a remote island or need to go into a bomb shelter, fear not. You'll survive because you have the latest food product called Tac Bac. Forget beef jerky or canned ham. This is tactical bacon. That's right actual strips of fully cooked bacon in a can.

A can of Tac Bac (18 servings) has a shelf life of up to 10 years.

Of course, once you open a can of Tac Bac, you have to put it in the refrigerator.

good find! Where can I get me a can? Got some friends over in the sandbox who could probably use that...

• Downvote 1

Clicky

"Porky swigs: Bars stirring up bacon cocktails - Associated Press

Step 1: Cook bacon. Step 2: Remove fat. Step 3: Tear into pieces.

This sounds like the start of a nice breakfast, but it's actually the first part of mixologist Adam Seger's Baconcello recipe.

The next step is steeping the bacon in vodka for 72 hours..."

From the Daily Commuter Rag Red Eye in Chicago today.

Clicky

baconwaffle.jpg

Any one have a Waffle Maker?

"I guess you could say that it has no redeeming feature except that it tastes great and would make a knock-your-socks off brunch for omnivores who didn’t mind the fat from the bacon that inhabits both the waffles and the apples. I don’t intend this to be eaten every day, or even every week, or even once a month. How about once every six months?"

Further evidence or unusual usage of "bacon", from a definition of the term "making the beast with two backs".

This modern-sounding phrase is in fact at least as early as Shakespeare. He used it in Othello, 1604:

Iago:

"I am one, sir, that comes to tell you your daughter and the Moor are now making the beast with two backs."

Shakespeare may have been the first to use it in English, although a version of it appears in Rabelais' Gargantua and Pantagruel, circa 1532. This was translated into English by Thomas Urquhart and published posthumously around 1693:

"In the vigour of his age he married Gargamelle, daughter to the King of the Parpaillons, a jolly pug, and well-mouthed wench. These two did oftentimes do the two-backed beast together, joyfully rubbing and frotting their bacon 'gainst one another."

So you can now say "go frott your bacon" instead of GFY

Clicky

"This is a call to the world to stop it with the bacon already.

I’m talking to you, 32-year-old man with the bacon billfold.

And you, sorority sister in the GOT BACON? tee.

And especially you, the guy who actually paid money for that bottle of Bakon Vodka"

Heretic! :lol:

Bacon Jam anyone?

main-baconjam3-1.jpg

Bacon Jam

An Original Recipe by Not Quite Nigella

• 500grams/1 pound smoked bacon (or use regular bacon and liquid smoke)
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 medium brown onion sliced
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • Tabasco sauce (according to taste)
  • 1 cup coffee
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • Black pepper to taste
  • extra water

1. In a non stick pan, fry the bacon in batches until lightly browned and beginning to crisp. Using a pair of scissors cut into 1 inch pieces.

2. Fry the onion and garlic in the rendered bacon fat on medium heat until translucent.

3. Transfer the bacon, onion and garlic into a heavy based cast iron pot and add the rest of the ingredients except for the water. Simmer for 2 hours adding 1/4 of a cup of water every 25-30 minutes or so and stirring.

4. When ready, cool for about 15-20 minutes and then place in a food processor. Pulse for 2-3 seconds so that you leave some texture to the “jam” or of course you could keep whizzing and make it a smoother and more paste like

• Downvote 1

If someone already posted this then sue me... but Im not going back through this thread to find out. Enjoy... or enjoy again.

I was looking for a clip of the North 3DL segment on "How it's Made" from the Science Channel. Instead I found this. If anyone runs accross the 3DL segment please message me to let me know where it is. Thanks. Enjoy your bacon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0DbcUUO-hI...player_embedded#

clicky for bacon accessories
  • Downvote 1

i could kill for some nice simple bacon right now. just throw it in the pan, heat it, and eat it. dont know why i always crave bacon at 130 in the morning, but hey, whatever... no stove here though...

• Downvote 1

Went to one of those Brazillian joints with a fellow anarchist last night to "Eat as much red meat as we possibly could"... all delicious,

finished with the Bacon Wrapped Filet. Bacon so fat it permeated the Beef... so good. :D

• Downvote 1

i could kill for some nice simple bacon right now. just throw it in the pan, heat it, and eat it. dont know why i always crave bacon at 130 in the morning, but hey, whatever... no stove here though...

no microwave either?

• Downvote 1

no microwave either?

\

just not the same...

• Downvote 1

yeah.. but it'll do in a pinch..

• Downvote 1

I can't see most of the pics in these threads when I'm at my office so if this has already been posted.. fuck off...

clicky

• Downvote 1

Alright, you guys brought the thread back so I'll list some bacon products

first your Baconnaise

some Bacon Salt

Squeez Bacon

squeez-bacon-embed.jpg

Gummy Bacon

Bacon Beans Jellybeans

ce85_bacon_beans_jellybeans.jpg

Bacon Mints

ce76_bacon_mints.jpg

and even Bacon Lip Balm

ce5c_bacon_lip_balm_inuse_embed.jpg

But the one I'm considering buying is Tac Bac- Tactical Canned Bacon

c399_tactical_canned_bacon.jpg

Tac Bac - Tactical Canned Bacon

• Delicious bacon, canned, so it has a 10+ year shelf life.
  • Approx. 18 servings per can (1 serving = 3 slices of bacon).
  • Net Wt.: 9oz

• Downvote 1

glad you bumped this chinabald, i have a small bacon update.

i received two different bacons for christmas presents, (lord help us):

a thick cut with peppercorns:

DSC00024.jpg

and a flat cut hickoried:

DSC00004.jpg

• Downvote 1

MAPLE BACON CRUNCH ICE CREAM

Bacon brittle

6 strips smoky bacon

500 ml (2 cups) granulated sugar

50 ml (1/4 cup) each corn syrup and water

30 ml (2 tbsp) unsalted butter, plus more

for greasing pan

5 ml (1 tsp) baking soda

1 ml (1/4 tsp) ground chipotle

Ice Cream

3 large egg yolks

50 ml (1/4 cup) granulated sugar

0.5 ml (1/8 tsp) salt

250 ml (1 cup) whole milk

500 ml (2 cups) whipping cream

250 ml (1 cup) No. 2 maple syrup

Brittle: In large skillet, fry bacon on medium-high heat until very crispy, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Cool to room temperature. Crumble; chop finely. Set aside.

Generously grease cookie sheet with butter.

In large wide pan, stir together sugar, corn syrup and water. Heat on medium until sugar melts, stirring occasionally. Let it bubble until just golden honey-coloured, about 5 minutes. (Do not let mixture get too dark; it continues to darken off the burner and can become bitter.) Remove from heat; immediately stir in 30 ml (2 tbsp) butter, then baking soda, chipotle and bacon. Pour onto cookie sheet. (It won’t cover entire sheet.) Let sit until cool and hard. (Makes about 500 g/1 lb.) Break into large shards. Smash small portion into 125 to 250 ml (1/2-1 cup), as desired, of tiny pieces. Store remainder in an airtight jar.

Ice Cream: In bowl, use electric mixer on medium-high speed to beat yolks, sugar and salt until fluffy and pale yellow, about 1 minute. Beat in milk. Scrape into medium pan. Heat mixture on medium, whisking frequently, until it thickens slightly, steam rises from surface and it is on the verge of boiling. Do not allow it to boil. Remove from heat. Whisk in cream and maple syrup.

Scrape into tub with tight lid. Refrigerate until very cold, preferably overnight. Churn in ice-cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. About 5 minutes before churning is complete, add 125 to 250 ml (1/2 to 1 cup), as desired, bacon brittle bits. Scrape into tub with tight lid and freeze until firm, at least 2 hours.

To serve: Scoop ice cream into dish and stick a shard of brittle in it.

Makes about 1 litre (4 cups).

• Downvote 1

You SHOULD be proud Barkley. Onya.

Hmmmm.....bacon. I gotta admit I have it every morning.

Trouble is though, I've been sorely disappointed in it's lack of flavor the last few years. Very hit & miss, mostly miss.

Anyone have a rock solid suggestion for a good consistent brand?

(Please...I'm sure someone here knows a local butcher, or knows how to smoke it themselves, or whatever, but that ain't gonna help me)

• Downvote 1

Trouble is though, I've been sorely disappointed in it's lack of flavor the last few years. Very hit & miss, mostly miss.

(Please...I'm sure someone here knows a local butcher, or knows how to smoke it themselves, or whatever, but that ain't gonna help me)

I dunno, man. I would try to find a local butcher of your own... I know, you said no -- I'm not stupid and I can read. But I totally agree with you on the bacon inconsistency problem. So, I found a local guy who cuts, brines and smokes his own, and will cut it for you on demand to whatever thickness you want. It actually really would help you to find one near you...

Ridiculous as this will sound: The aforementioned bacon is much healthier than the mass-produced stuff... the meat processors inject their bacon with all manner of nasty stuff to "brine" it faster.

Oregon is civilised... there has to be a good old-fashioned butcher around...

• Downvote 1

I dunno, man. I would try to find a local butcher of your own... I know, you said no -- I'm not stupid and I can read. But I totally agree with you on the bacon inconsistency problem. So, I found a local guy who cuts, brines and smokes his own, and will cut it for you on demand to whatever thickness you want. It actually really would help you to find one near you...

Ridiculous as this will sound: The aforementioned bacon is much healthier than the mass-produced stuff... the meat processors inject their bacon with all manner of nasty stuff to "brine" it faster.

Oregon is civilised... there has to be a good old-fashioned butcher around...

Thanks Mike. But Oregon being "civilised" is still in question.... :D

• Downvote 1

I tried turkey bacon today. (not by choice) NEVER again will this imposter food touch my pallet! :angry:

I felt so violated that I went down to a local smokehouse and bought a pound of thick cut. The real McCoy!! I have a date with my cast-iron skillet Sunday AM.

• Downvote 1

I tried turkey bacon today. (not by choice) NEVER again will this imposter food touch my pallet! :angry:

I felt so violated that I went down to a local smokehouse and bought a pound of thick cut. The real McCoy!! I have a date with my cast-iron skillet Sunday AM.

And your cardiologist on Monday ;)

• Like 1
  • Downvote 3

And your cardiologist on Monday ;)

I should put him an speed-dial. :lol:

Maybe I should go all-in and do the Atkins diet? Bacon & steak for every meal; oh yah! Wonder how my colesterol would look after a month of that. :o

• Downvote 1