• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  

Bacon Anarchy

Coworker just printed that off and showed methe recipe a couple of minutes ago.

That is freakin' awesome! My arteries are seizing up just looking at it.

I think burnsy and shife trumped this a while back...do a search for bacon birthdays. I'd stay and chat longer but I can't feel my left arm

Burnsy and Shife may have beaten me too it but can you ever Pimp Bacon too much?

There was a Bar in Chicago (mat still be out there) that used to serve never ending bowls of Bacon rather than Popcorn some nights... not sure if I would want to be the Custodial Staff the next morning. :blink:

Have you been to Tony's at Birch Run, exit 136 off I-75 in Michigan?

Bacon-pa-looza!

this is recipe from Burnsy's b-day thread

Bacon Explosion: The BBQ Sausage Recipe of all Recipes

by Jason on December 23, 2008

The other day the guys from BaconToday.com contacted me in search for some barbecue bacon recipes. Of course I have plenty of great uses for bacon in a barbecue pit, but the longer I thought about it, the more I wanted to step it up a notch and clog a few arteries for those guys. Behold, BACON EXPLOSION!!! Here’s what you’ll need…

2 pounds thick cut bacon

2 pounds Italian sausage

1 jar of your favorite barbeque sauce

1 jar of your favorite barbeque rub

To kick off the construction of this pork medley you’ll need to create a 5×5 bacon weave. If the strips you’re using aren’t as wide as the ones pictured, then you may need to use a few extra slices to fill out the pattern. Just make sure your weave is tight and that you end up with a nice square shape to work with.

The next step is to add some barbeque seasoning on top of your bacon weave. Being the barbeque addict that I am, I whipped up a batch of Burnt Finger BBQ’s competition pork rub for this special occasion. Seeing as not everyone has the time, or the expertise, to create a tasty rub of their own, I would recommend trying Bad Byron’s Butt Rub, Rendezvous Famous Seasoning, or Steven Raichlen’s All-Purpose Rub.

Now that you’re pork is well seasoned, it’s time to add more pork. Take two pounds of Italian sausage and layer it directly on top of your bacon weave. Be sure to press the sausage to the outer edges of the bacon creating a patty that is the same thickness all the way across. Most grocery stores carry loose sausage, so just pick out one you like. I chose to go with a mild sausage, but spicy would work just the same. If you really want to get crazy, take a stab at making your own homemade sausage.

Next up is bacon layer number two. Take the remaining bacon slices and fry them up the same way you would for breakfast (or lunch, or dinner, or a midnight snack). If you like soft bacon, make it soft. If you like crunchy bacon, make it crunchy. If you like your bacon burnt to hell so the smoke detectors go off, then burn it to hell so the smoke detectors go off. These pieces are going to be a major part of the inner flavor of our sausage fatty, so cook them your favorite way. Personally, I like my bacon right at the point when it starts to get crispy, but hasn’t quite lost all of the softness yet. Regardless of how well done you like yours, you’ll need to crumble or chop the cooked strips into bite size pieces and place on top of the sausage layer. (Note-It’s okay, and encouraged, to snack on these pieces while your chopping/crumbling. But keep in mind that once those bacon morsels touch the raw sausage, you’ll need to resist all temptations to nibble. This can and will be difficult, but hospital trips are no fun, so stay strong.)

Since this is a barbeque recipe, we need to add another layer of barbeque flavor. Take your favorite sauce and drizzle it all over the top of the bacon pieces. Personally, I prefer to use Burnt Finger BBQ’s homemade competition sauce, but if you’re torn on what brand to use I recommend Cowtown, Blues Hog, and Fiorella’s Jack Stack. Once you’ve sauced the bacon, sprinkle on some more of the barbeque seasoning you used on the bacon weave.

Now comes the fun part. Very carefully separate the front edge of the sausage layer from the bacon weave and begin rolling backwards. You want to include all layers EXCEPT the bacon weave in your roll. Try and keep the sausage as tight as possible and be sure to release any air pockets that may have formed. Once the sausage is fully rolled up, pinch together the seams and ends to seal all of the bacon goodness inside.

At this point we can start to see the final shape of our Bacon Explosion, but we’re missing one key item. To complte the constuction process, roll the sausage forward completely wrapping it in the bacon weave. Make sure it sits with the seam facing downward to help keep it all sealed up.

Sprinkle some barbeque seasoning on the outside of the bacon weave, and now this bad boy is ready for the smoker. Cook your Bacon Explosion at 225 degrees in a constant cloud of hickory smoke until your Thermapen gives an internal temperature reading of 165 degrees. Normally this will take about 1 hour for each inch of thickness, but that could vary depending on how well you maintain your fire and also how many times you open the smoker to take a peek. Mine took about 2.5 hours, which was right on target with its 2.5 inch diameter.

Now that our Bacon Explosion is fully cooked, we need to add some finishing flavors. Remember that barbecue sauce we used for inner flavor? We’ll be using that same sauce to glaze the cooked bacon weave. Using a basting brush, coat the entire surface with a thin layer of sauce. Sweet sauces are loaded with sugars, so they’ll give your fatty a nice glossy finish. Spicy and vinegar based sauces don’t contain as much, so they won’t set up as well. If you’re dead set on using those sauces, just cut them with a bit of honey and you’ll get the same effect.

Slice the Bacon Explosion into quarter to half inch rounds to serve. If your roll was good and tight, you should now see a nice bacon pinwheel pattern throughout the sausage. Obviously pork is best served by itself, but if you feel the need to make this meat monster into a sandwich, try placing a couple Bacon Explosion slices on a warm Pillsbury’s Grands Biscuit. You’ll reach pork Nirvana is no time flat!

Be sure to send us stories and photos of your Bacon Explosion experience. Who knows, you may see your ugly mug on BBQ Addicts!!!

one thing you could get (and i did, a lot) at my boarding school campus center was a bagel with cream cheese and bacon. it was called a bodini, not sure why, but it was delicious and i cook one up fairly often nowadays

Burnsy and Shife may have beaten me too it but can you ever Pimp Bacon too much?

NOPE!

Ziggy is the ultimate bacon chef.

You sure you don't want Burnsy and I to tackle the Bacon Explosion? You're probably getting tired of cooking for our lazy asses.

There was a Bar in Chicago (mat still be out there) that used to serve never ending bowls of Bacon rather than Popcorn some nights... not sure if I would want to be the Custodial Staff the next morning. :blink:

That would be a big NO!

We've been thinking about the Bacon Explosion for a week now. It's over the top!

Call your cardiologist first; that thing is out of control.

Try ABT's (atomic buffalo turds). They are awesome.

You sure you don't want Burnsy and I to tackle the Bacon Explosion? You're probably getting tired of cooking for our lazy asses.

Hehehe I like cooking for your lazy asses ;) You are in charge of beer and rum though.

Waaaiiit.... you guys are just afraid Ill get pissed off at it like the meatloaf arent ya??? <_<

I can see you and Burnsy in the corner of the kitchen plotting how you can make the recipe even tastier. Several prototypes will have to be made. Testing will ensue. Next thing you know the snow has melted and everyone is sailing. Leave it up to Ziggy if you want to eat the Bacon Explosion this Sunday (and not in June). :P

We've been thinking about the Bacon Explosion for a week now. It's over the top!

Please explain and/or pictures?

Please explain and/or pictures?

OK, get some big, fresh jalepenos.

Cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds/white fleshy stuff.

Smear cream cheese inside.

Put a Lil Smokey or shrimp, salmon, oyster..whatever inside.

Wrap with bacon and stick a toothpick through it to hold together.

Put on your smoker, grill or in the oven.

Smoker - 1-2 hours.

OR

Oven or grill at 250 for 30 minutes.

buffalo_turd.jpg

edit: Wear rubber gloves when you cut and clean out the peppers.

(don't ask, you can guess)

so, i assume you guys rarely, if ever, need to weigh in at regattas....

damn you all......damn you all to hell!

There's one thing to be said in a positive light about sailing PHRF or dinghy OD

so, i assume you guys rarely, if ever, need to weigh in at regattas....

damn you all......damn you all to hell!

Hell no! If I wanted to do that, I would have gotten into wrestling in high school.

Not that I'm some fatass - but I'm sure as hell not gonna starve myself, reverse-eat, or bike to exhaustion in a wetsuit in the name of entertainment.

F - THAT.

Will the Shife be sent to the Emergency room twice in one week? Stay tuned...

IMG00566.jpg

Good Luck Shife, my Taste Buds and Arteries anxiously await the verdict.

#'s

Austin. Mrs Nettles wishes to inform you that those whom need gloves to handle the lowly jalepeo is a pussy. Habeneros are a different matter. She would also like to include that the jalepeno recipe works really well (her word "lovely") with oysters.

Of course, she doesn't understand cows either. Go figure.

Thanks for the awesome snack. Never would have thought of it on our own.

Pig fat rules.

recipe for heart attack in a bowl.... serves two

1/2lb bacon

8 eggs

1/2 stick butter

1/4 cup heavy cream

1/2 lb pasta...

but the best is a steak of kurobota pork belly...

it literally melts in your mouth,

it's like a steak of bacon that hasn't been cured...

279963283_f7ab8c4830.jpg

1/2lb bacon

8 eggs

1/2 stick butter

1/4 cup heavy cream

1/2 lb pasta...

279963283_f7ab8c4830.jpg

Are those edamame or lima beans? I don't like Lima bean -

I was planning on making the Bacon Explosion on Sunday for the Superbowl. I will be sure to post pics. Yum.

I'm substituting the sausage for burger and adding bluecheese crumbles to half. we'll see how it turns out....

bacoexp.jpg

FYI, you cannot get good enough Bacon from the super market...

I was planning on making the Bacon Explosion on Sunday for the Superbowl. I will be sure to post pics. Yum.

I'm substituting the sausage for burger and adding bluecheese crumbles to half. we'll see how it turns out....

bacoexp.jpg

RB - I've got a 'Bacon Guy' - I'll hook you up!

Austin. Mrs Nettles wishes to inform you that those whom need gloves to handle the lowly jalepeo is a pussy. Habeneros are a different matter. She would also like to include that the jalepeno recipe works really well (her word "lovely") with oysters.

Pig fat rules.

Mrs. Nettles doesn't have a penis and stupidly took a leak right after prepping the jalepenos.

I danced better than Beck for about 10 minutes.

Pig fat rules.

Mrs. Nettles doesn't have a penis and stupidly took a leak right after prepping the jalepenos.

I danced better than Beck for about 10 minutes.

Not to hijack, but I made the mistake of rubbing my eyes after cutting up peppers a few years ago. Even though I had washed my hands pretty well, that was still something I'd rather not do again. Ever. And BTW, habaneros are only about 1/2 way up the Scoville scale. The Naga Jolokia peppers, the world's hottest are 3-4 times higher. Imagine touching Mr Happy with that on your hands.

I worked with several types of bacon for Burnsy's Bacon Birthday bash - after double-digits pounds of bacon I learned that surprisingly the Meijer brand held its shape the best (like for the bacon cups I made) I'm hoping it will be equally good holding its shape around the pork log!

I notice you are not using a smoker either as the recipe actually calls for.... how long you plan on cooking yours for in the oven? I'm thinking it will probably cook like a meatloaf. Maybe 1 hr at 350?

MMMMMM

On the advice of a mate who is a fool for pig fat, I stopped by Whole Paycheck this AM. Picked up an 18 oz. pkg of Black Forest dry rubbed salt cured bacon. Had to take out a second morgage, so I hope it's worth it. While some of it will go around Austin's oyster stuffed jalepenos and some will go around a scallop or two, I have to try some pure.

Any debate on pan frying vs oven? My bacon junkie mate says 400 for 18 minutes, way better than frying. Ziggy, I bow to your obvious bacon mastery in search of an answer. Anyone ever tried this stuff? Looks da kine.

1/2lb bacon

8 eggs

1/2 stick butter

1/4 cup heavy cream

1/2 lb pasta...

279963283_f7ab8c4830.jpg

looks like favas, green peas, green (string) beans and maybe wax beans (the yellow ones) to me, but i could be wrong. if you are talking about the flat ones...those are not limas or edamame.

On the advice of a mate who is a fool for pig fat, I stopped by Whole Paycheck this AM. Picked up an 18 oz. pkg of Black Forest dry rubbed salt cured bacon. Had to take out a second morgage, so I hope it's worth it. While some of it will go around Austin's oyster stuffed jalepenos and some will go around a scallop or two, I have to try some pure.

Any debate on pan frying vs oven? My bacon junkie mate says 400 for 18 minutes, way better than frying. Ziggy, I bow to your obvious bacon mastery in search of an answer. Anyone ever tried this stuff? Looks da kine.

I know the exact bacon you speak of. I've seen it, drooled, but never tried it. Its like 10.99/slice or something ridiculous. I can only imagine how good it is. You will have to share your experience with the rest of us. I would suggest good old fashion frying in a pan. Let it sizzle and cook in the liquid gold that will be sloshing around in the pan as it heats up. ;)

Totally unrelated, but:

perspectivecat.jpg

I worked with several types of bacon for Burnsy's Bacon Birthday bash - after double-digits pounds of bacon I learned that surprisingly the Meijer brand held its shape the best (like for the bacon cups I made) I'm hoping it will be equally good holding its shape around the pork log!

I notice you are not using a smoker either as the recipe actually calls for.... how long you plan on cooking yours for in the oven? I'm thinking it will probably cook like a meatloaf. Maybe 1 hr at 350?

MMMMMM

I was thinking about getting out the grill, but the wind is crazy up here. So the oven it is...

No meijer up here yet.... should be 2 open by the end of this year though.

Totally unrelated, but:

perspectivecat.jpg

Not a fan of Cats but that one can hang with me... Another case of Bacon making just about anything more palatable. ;)

Its just so beautiful. Makes me want to cry. Decided to slow cook it in the oven. 200-something till cooked through. Quick trip under the broiler for final bacon crisp if necessary.

Already trying to plan for the inevitable pool of grease it will be sitting in in about an hour. Might have to transfer to a slotted broil pan.... but don't want to lose too many of the juices.....

279963283_f7ab8c4830.jpg

looks like favas, green peas, green (string) beans and maybe wax beans (the yellow ones) to me, but i could be wrong. if you are talking about the flat ones...those are not limas or edamame.

Braised Kurobuta Pork Belly with a Honey and Pepper Glaze and Crispy Ears The pork belly was succulent (read fatty) and tender, probably from a slow braising, followed by a short roasting. I'm not sure how much of the sublime taste and melting texture can be attributed to the Kurobuta breed though, but it was definitely a treat!

The use of freshly shelled peas, broad beans and French beans was a nice nod to the arrival of Spring.

OMG it is sooooo facking good.

Rumbull - I hate to say it man, but I think you made a huuuuge mistake by making it with regular hamburger. The sausage adds a ton of flavor.

IMG00576.jpg

IMG00578.jpg

Shife was too busy eating the damn thing to comment.... notice that in the first pic, we used a blow torch to crisp and brown the bacon. Thats the problem with wrapping stuff with bacon and baking.... doesnt crisp well.... Problem solved.

IMG00576.jpg

IMG00578.jpg

Shife was too busy eating the damn thing to comment.... notice that in the first pic, we used a blow torch to crisp and brown the bacon. Thats the problem with wrapping stuff with bacon and baking.... doesnt crisp well.... Problem solved.

Holy shit that looks good. We'll be there in an hour - what's your address?

The only thing that surprises me is that Shife isn't using a flamethrower to crisp it up. I bet it's unreal. We need a full review.

The Black Forest bacon is not to be believed. Even Mrs Nettles, a veggie for umpteen years had to have a bite. The dog liked it straight, I preferred it around an oyster&pepper or a scallop. It's more of a strip pork chop than bacon. It's only 50 cents/strip, and well worth it IMHO.

But right now I want a slice of the bacon explosion. Screw it, I'm having another oyster.

Shife?

Ziggy?

Are you guys alive or having your stomachs pumped and/or suffering cardiac arrest?

That was the most insanely tasty bacon creation I've ever had. Pretty much a instant food coma though.

Once again Ziggy masters the art of cooking with bacon. It's good thing she normally cooks healthy dishes, or Burnsy probably wouldn't live to see 35.

Will the Shife be sent to the Emergency room twice in one week? Stay tuned...

IMG00566.jpg

I started to retain water just looking at that picture...

OMG it is sooooo facking good.

Rumbull - I hate to say it man, but I think you made a huuuuge mistake by making it with regular hamburger. The sausage adds a ton of flavor.

It turned out great... Ended up cooking for about 1.5 hrs at 350. I used a broiling pan and rack. The only finished photo is on my phone... But it turned out to be one of the best bacon bluechez burgers I ever had.

(Maybe it was just the burger, but I patted and rolled the burger on a separate sheet of foil, using the foil for a tighter roll, then transfered it to the bacon wrap...)

I'll up load the finished photo tonight.

EDIT; that bacon looks much better than the stuff I bought.... Meijers can't open fast enough.

Sounds tasty. Your version gives me ideas.....

I think Ill use this method more often for making "burgers." Use less amounts of course, but maybe take some lean bacon and wrap it around some ground turkey burger with all your favorite ingredients rolled inside. Slice it up and serve it on a bun like a burger! Yummmmm

Sounds tasty. Your version gives me ideas.....

I think Ill use this method more often for making "burgers." Use less amounts of course, but maybe take some lean bacon and wrap it around some ground turkey burger with all your favorite ingredients rolled inside. Slice it up and serve it on a bun like a burger! Yummmmm

Cajun turkey burgers are the shizznit.

How to make this thread even better

Fak, that makes any "CLEAN/J105/D.T.80/FT" Thread look good! :lol:

Maybe even a PA thread palatable... nah not that good.

You guys are killing me. I still have 11 days to wait.

What kind of rub and sauce did you use on your meat?

I used Montreal BBQ seasoning:

mccogrillmatebbq.jpg

As for the Sauce, I used this awsome Canadian Club BBQ Sauce we got from the Windsor Overnight Race last year.

bbq_miel.jpg

All very tasty.

I made the Bacon Explosion yesterday.

The most important problem was 30+ knot winds and rain, and fearing the coals going out, I had too many going, and it got too hot. After 2 hours it was at 170F, the sauasage set up too much, the bacon crisped too much, and it dried out too much. By the time I realized this, I had to pull it off the grill and did not have time to glaze the sauce.

The other problem is I think the italian sausage is too strong a flavor and it overpowers the smoky bacon. Ground chicken or turkey might be a lighter taste that soaks up the bacon grease. It's something to try.

It also wasn't as greasy as I was expecting.

Overall, it was pretty easy to make, and it ws fun. I'll try it again.

I made the Bacon Explosion yesterday.

The most important problem was 30+ knot winds and rain, and fearing the coals going out, I had too many going, and it got too hot. After 2 hours it was at 170F, the sauasage set up too much, the bacon crisped too much, and it dried out too much. By the time I realized this, I had to pull it off the grill and did not have time to glaze the sauce.

The other problem is I think the italian sausage is too strong a flavor and it overpowers the smoky bacon. Ground chicken or turkey might be a lighter taste that soaks up the bacon grease. It's something to try.

It also wasn't as greasy as I was expecting.

Overall, it was pretty easy to make, and it ws fun. I'll try it again.

No cheese?

• Downvote 1

OK bacon lovers.

the university I work at has a "meat lab" yes it is a cool as it sounds.

anyway, here is an email we got today. the cleff notes for those who dont wat to read the whole thing "Come and touch the meat labs bacon!"

Volunteers Needed!

Needed: Volunteers to participate in a consumer panel to evaluate bacon!! We need 100 people over 18 years of age. All samples will be handled only, no consuming of any products will be required. All ingredients will be made known prior to handling this product.

This study will take a total of about 30 minutes during one session. You will be compensated with a certificate for one pound of free bacon for completion of the session.

To enroll in this study, please contact Kim XXXXXXX (XXX-XXXX or XXXXXX@uiuc.edu)

The study will be held on two different days, March 4th and 5th, between the hours of 9am until 4pm. If you want to participate in the study please include in your email your name, email address, and days and times you will be available

OK bacon lovers.

the university I work at has a "meat lab" yes it is a cool as it sounds.

anyway, here is an email we got today. the cleff notes for those who dont wat to read the whole thing "Come and touch the meat labs bacon!"

Volunteers Needed!

Needed: Volunteers to participate in a consumer panel to evaluate bacon!! We need 100 people over 18 years of age. All samples will be handled only, no consuming of any products will be required. All ingredients will be made known prior to handling this product.

This study will take a total of about 30 minutes during one session. You will be compensated with a certificate for one pound of free bacon for completion of the session.

To enroll in this study, please contact Kim XXXXXXX (XXX-XXXX or XXXXXX@uiuc.edu)

The study will be held on two different days, March 4th and 5th, between the hours of 9am until 4pm. If you want to participate in the study please include in your email your name, email address, and days and times you will be available

2 problems:

1) All samples will be handled only, no consuming of any products will be required

and

2) you X'd out her number!

• Downvote 1