Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guitar

2009 Three Bridge Fiasco

Entry List

Who does it bigger?

Onshore reporting

Rick "Guitar" Nelson

Haji

Pete M (via web cam at Exploratorium)

On the water reporting

Peter Lyons

*Photoboy

~Others~

Up at 4:30 to head down. Will key up once I get to GGYC.

Have fun!

Got a request to come in here and advise - but I am going Melges racing shortly. Whaddya wanna know? You can call me until 11-ish EDT/8 PDT at 248 563 0657.

Looking forward to reading this thread later! Rock on.

AL

first start @ 9:30 for ratings 264 and over

last start @ 11:38:06 for -102

US weather service is mixed about conditions - sub 10 kts NE for east bay and WSW @ 10 right at the gate - and N @ 20 outside the gate

good luck

the exploratorium cam shows clear skies and a little breeze off crissy field - the leaves are moving on the trees - but not much action on the burgee at the st francis - if i had to guess it is showing easterly just now

Waiting for login info so posting from my blackberry. Limp flag on the race deck, sails are popping into view up the bay. I'll be on the gun so nobody give me any crap.

alot of boats on the water off cityfront - gonna be a busy day on the water

And their off. NOT.

Cal 20 is just drifting over the line on the tide, no wind.

A couple of quick questions before the racing starts.

4 Olson/Express 34s @ 99, 1 @ 105. Why a 6 sec diff?

What is modified on the J100 Pegasus?

Looking forward to the reporting

Thx

monster

looks like the bulk of the fleet is going to blackaller first - in the east breeze and ebb tide

what pervs are pointing the explortorium cam at house widows and duck ponds?

lead moore #68 just jibed to stb just off the windsurfer beach - looks like more breeze on the shore

the first boats are around blackaller bouy - looks like there is enough south for some boats to keep the kites up across the top of the bay

wind sock @ crissy showing lots of south

edit - well not lots - but defo south

down in the 50 raters starting now - with the wind out of the south a few guys are trying the CCW option

start line starting to clear up now

looks pretty glassy off crissy just now - but the boats that have made it around blackaller are moving ok

boats are parked up off anita rock - but the west looks to be filling in out in the middle

zero raters starting now

looks like the flood is starting on the beach as guys are starting to go backwards off crissy - meanwhile - it looks like about 30 or 40 boats went CCW and are beating into an easterly - looks like the south has gone away and the west is fighting the east

OK that should be everybody started except for the D cat and the TP52

the guys that got around blackaller look ok but, the guys that didn't yet are parked on the beach

17 minutes to go still for the tp52 - and most of their competition is parked a quarter mile to the west

looks like the guys that went ccw are doing better - as there is still some east and they are movine - the guys off crissy and out in the bay are parked

what a fiasco - totally glassed off and boats going backwards - looks like a little breeze across the bay for for the leaders

Ok just finishing up the starting list, last boat is drfting back and forth over the line. Looks like those who went east of angel are doing best. Will update later.

Ok report from Billy Bob Flat Water, couple off wabbits up front with and express 27. 15 or so boats that went thru the straights are up at the rock. Update in 10 minutes with sail numbers.

Moore 24 in the lead Sail 68 about 1/4 mile from red rock. Followed by another moore and an orange hulled express 27. Moore to follow.

whole buncha boats in raccoon straights just now

anyone know if Corinthian yc has a cam?

Moore 24 in the lead Sail 68 about 1/4 mile from red rock. Followed by another moore and an orange hulled express 27. Moore to follow. Solosailor just checked inffffillfilling in from the doutheast out

whole buncha boats in raccoon straights just now

anyone know if Corinthian yc has a cam?

Nothing on thier website. Angel Cam inop

mm

Gordy Nash went aground at the rock

Flood is slowing the leaders which includes a couple of Cal 20s??? Everyone is in the north bay.

Gordy got off clean and is continuing. Majority of fleet is tacking back down the bay.

dudes. shoot cameraphone pics and email to me so I can post 'em. clean at sailinganarchy dot com

J105 is positioned well right now. Flame on.

guess that reverse handicap kinda works - boats finishing en mass

on a pretty day - as the sun goes down

exploratorium cam shows them still finishing

and the pervs are still hijacking the cam to perv into peoples windows

not us Nina Olson 29-DNF

as he slinks out of the room.........................

Still at the club review the finishes. Long day. Tthanks for the rewports from the water.

That was a great Fiasco. Classic in every way. Restarts, groundings, breeze, huge holes, ships throwing 5 horns. And breeze for the last half.

THank you SSS. Win/lose/draw always the most memorable race of the year.

great day! finished on the ross, went cc and found a parking spot in north harbor oaktown but the rest of the trip was fkn sweet.

another thank you to the rc-the sss rocks

So who finished???
I crossed @ about 4:45 not far behind a few doublehanders. Heard a gun, that was cool after fighting through hole after hole.

That was a lot of boats. I counted 366 entries and I think they all showed up!

This race can be a hate mission singlehanded. I did five sail changes between the start and Red Rock. I hoisted the big, light runner just after the start to get to Blackaller. A dark-hulled Cal 40 (?) gybed in front of me (never even looked back) and the foot of the runner dragged across his pushpit, tearing a big hole in the foot. So down with that and up with the smaller runner, on autopilot with boats crushing in on both sides. Then around Blackaller into NO breeze. Just for kicks I set the Code 0 and it paid pretty well getting to the entrance to Raccoon. All the boats behind caught up as the Westerly filled in - tough to be drifting and watching them all come down on you. In Raccoon the wind shifted from W to SE - that was weird. Somewhere in there the Code 0 came down and the 1.5A went up. Light but a good leg between Raccoon and Red Rock. VALIS was looking good with a colorful masthead runner.

Round Red Rock - down with the 1.5A and up with the #1 - Right into the flood. Went inshore for current relief. One of the Moores went right up to the first ship at the Long Wharf - a no-no. Couldn't get his name and all those white Moores look the same! Nice reach down past Berzerkley and across the Slot - almost like Summer in the Slot. Almost.

Had to choose how to deal with the construction zone under the Bay Bridge. Saw a lot of boats who cut YBI too close so I went wide. Not wide enough. Parked up for awhile and just as I reached the wind line a container ship claimed rights. Blew a tack while avoiding the ship and almost sideswiped one of three boats alongside - he now has my masthead wind transducer.

Nice breezy beat to the finish - crossed at dusk on Port, across the bows of three boats. Quite a few boats with no running lights - R/C said something about a nice sunset but I don't think anyone got the hint. After I finished I saw the TP52 headed for the finish from the West.

Overall a grand day out but I'm totally, 100 pct whipped.

I own one of the 105 raters in the race today (Olson 34). The mast is somewhat shorter than the 99 raters. There is also one boat, made in santa cruz, with cored hull, that is lighter than the rest of the O34's, she rates 99.

redsky driver

Thx

monster

Greg Nelson single-handing on Outlander
NelsEn on Outsider...... but I'll take what I can get.

grog,

Great job G you win a bottle O grog first pick from the SA prize chest and one of PB shirts if you pick XL and give it to me you get a 8x10'. It was a fantastic day on the bay but we made some bad tactical choices. I think we could have finished and would have been around 175th. :huh:

Edit........... dang I have to leave slip in you name here. Looking back back I should have bailed when I woke up with a 102 temp fucking head trobbing and a few well lets say I didn't fell well and let my skipper down :angry:

That was a great day!

One of those days where people pass each other back and forth many times!

At the end, I was cold, tired, wet, hungry, and happy!

So was my 9yo daughter who did it with me.

I hoisted the big, light runner just after the start to get to Blackaller. A dark-hulled Cal 40 (?) gybed in front of me (never even looked back) and the foot of the runner dragged across his pushpit, tearing a big hole in the foot.

ULDB Guy, you looked great! We saw the incident with your kite and the other boat's pushpit, but unfortunately didn't notice what took place leading up to the big ripping sound. It was quite a parking lot before Blackaller, am I right in thinking that the earlier starters missed the really light air at that spot?

Earlier I had mentioned our Secret Weapon -- here is a shot of it deployed:

imgp3283-medium.jpg

I enjoyed watching a couple of hot-shots losing ground to us while we were waiting for the wind to pick up (hey, I take my thrills where I find them!)

I am quite the neophyte when it comes to doublehanded spinnaker work, so it took us a while to actually start flying it. It certainly helped on the way to Red Rock.

We finished around 5:45PM -- I can't wait to see the final results. My goal was to not come in dead last, so Mission Accomplished!

Sorry for the limited reporting all, working the race committee was a chore. My wife and I arrived at 8:00 and didn't leave until 8:30 pm. It was wicked tough calling boats and times for the start and finish. We had boats crossing the finish line 30 seconds before the 7 pm cut off. Bummer for one boat that was 30 seconds behind him. Pretty weird seeing very dim nav lights coming out of the darkness from the west, north and east all at the same time.

I think the cutoff should be moved up to 18:00 as we couldn't read sail numbers in the dark. Finally pulled a car up under the deck with the headlights pointed out to the pin. We also requested boats to call in and light their sail numbers with a torch.

Great day for the race, F27 was first to finish, big blue monohull was first DH to finish. Yucca got the gun as well, again.

Was weird not seeing any Moores at the front for the mono's. Wylie Wabbits were in the hunt as well.

Was pretty amazed on how this race is ran from the deck, glad I took the time to help out as it was a massive chore for this group. Next year I'll be back on the water for the real pain.

I'm pretty sure norcalsailing.com will post some pics as will others. I didn't take any pics even though I had my cameras as I was just too busy. Really cool shooting off a 12 guage in downtown SF.

Haji, nice working and speaking with you, next time we meet I would like to sit down with a beer and talk about your adventures.

Max runs a great race and should be heaped with praise for pulling this one off.

Let the reports speak for themselves, this is one great race we have out here in NorCal.

We went CW on Firebolt (laser 28).

Started a bit late, we were supposed to be 4 minutes after the moores and 4 minutes before the express 27s but we started with the expresses. We made it to blackaller as the wind died, just got round and parked for 1/2 hour, until it filled from the west. Set the kite in racoon, a bit late, rounded red rock and stayed high in the bad current because it looked light to the east, but the westerly fixed that soon enough so we were in the slow lane. We flogged the main and poor old #1 across berkely then changed to the #3 in the hole behind TI while the container ship went by. Finished at 5:25ish. Back to brickyard at 7pm.

My wife liked it and we're still married so I will consider it a win. She actually said "no other race until Vallejo?" as we were cleaning up the boat, so I will take that as an invitation to enter some races.

ULDBguy we must have been close all day, we tangled with the Cal 40 too (no fouls though), were in the same hole at TI with the ship, and saw the TP 52 finish just after us.

My wife took a lot of pictures, I'll try to post some later.

-Mike

One more thing -- the wind was extremely variable, and completely different than it had been the day before. Rich and I sailed most of the course on Friday, and there was a huge patch of dead air in Raccoon Strait (between Angel Island and Tiburon), and it was a nice deep spinnaker run from Red Rock to the Bay Bridge.

On Saturday all that hard-won local knowledge became worse than useless. From the start to Blackaller it was a parking lot. It was a good reach/run from the Golden Gate, through Raccoon, and all the way to Red Rock. From Red Rock to the Bay Bridge it was a fast stiff reach, with a cold wind sweeping in through the Golden Gate (much like our typical summer afternoon weather).

At least that's what we got. I'm sure those who got around the course faster or slower saw something different. It was certainly not "typical" San Francisco January weather! Rich and I sailed most of the course in our retina-burning "VALIS Pacific Cup 2008" Hawaiian shirts!

The cozy starting area

Great shot solosailor. This must be the poster for GOTB. I'm hoping that this is the start of a sailing renaissance in the Bay Area. At over 360 boats for this race, it's a DAMN fine start indeed!

Fun race, frustrating at times with lots of holes. Was glad to have breeze around Red Rock.

F'n hard to sail a 24' sportie to a 99 with only one light air kite run though. Twas the first time in many years that we had a one design start for Ultimate 24's. We have GOT to do that more often.

All in all a good one for the memory banks.

Many thanks to the RC and SSS for a fine regatta.

1st otw video experiment

grainy ass phone shot of starting area but shows a number of sailboats

will try better camera in future

ccw...one hour to lee of t.i., add on another 4.5 hrs to fully round it

I could only post (links to) 2 images:

"Sorry, but when your post merges with your previous post, you will have used too many images in your combined posts"

Here we are approaching the bay bridge:

P1318659.JPG

We are beating all these boats:

P1318666.JPG

1st otw video experiment

grainy ass phone shot of starting area but shows a number of sailboats

will try better camera in future

Nice video showing the crowd. I was going to take some shots and decided whether to use the still camera or movie camera then realized they would both look the same. :lol:

a few shots from yesterday ;)

PB, where is the "shot" sailor girl?

Rich and I sailed most of the course in our retina-burning "VALIS Pacific Cup 2008" Hawaiian shirts!

YEAH BABY! I love that shirt! Mine will be faded by the time PacCup 2010 rolls around (HINT!)

I was concerned that the conditions might not be to your liking, but it sounds like y'all did just fine.

I accidentally gave Greg the gun yesterday instead of the horn. I'm pretty sure he got second.

Sorry for the limited reporting all, working the race committee was a chore. My wife and I arrived at 8:00 and didn't leave until 8:30 pm. It was wicked tough calling boats and times for the start and finish. We had boats crossing the finish line 30 seconds before the 7 pm cut off. Bummer for one boat that was 30 seconds behind him. Pretty weird seeing very dim nav lights coming out of the darkness from the west, north and east all at the same time.

I think the cutoff should be moved up to 18:00 as we couldn't read sail numbers in the dark. Finally pulled a car up under the deck with the headlights pointed out to the pin. We also requested boats to call in and light their sail numbers with a torch.

Great day for the race, F27 was first to finish, big blue monohull was first DH to finish. Yucca got the gun as well, again.

Was weird not seeing any Moores at the front for the mono's. Wylie Wabbits were in the hunt as well.

Was pretty amazed on how this race is ran from the deck, glad I took the time to help out as it was a massive chore for this group. Next year I'll be back on the water for the real pain.

I'm pretty sure norcalsailing.com will post some pics as will others. I didn't take any pics even though I had my cameras as I was just too busy. Really cool shooting off a 12 guage in downtown SF.

Haji, nice working and speaking with you, next time we meet I would like to sit down with a beer and talk about your adventures.

Max runs a great race and should be heaped with praise for pulling this one off.

Let the reports speak for themselves, this is one great race we have out here in NorCal.

You're Right Guitar....Max runs one hell of a race.

Thanks Max

We finished at 6:45, otherwise known as right on time. it was my first time actually finishing this race and we did it despite spending a good 30 minutes on the wrong side of the Richmond Bridge (I was being given a long overdue lesson on how to point)...I saw Breezetrees at the start and Dylan at the end of Raccoon Straits but let most anarchists pass me during my sojourn down to the Brothers!

Hell of a day and thank a higher authority for the blast of wind from Richmond to TI, we needed that. All those on the race deck, thank you, glad you could see our sail number in the dark with our measly flashlight!

My shoulders are sore as hell from holding up a pair of binoculars for about 3 hours yesterday. Internal medication being liberally applied. Game on.

Thx

monster

Haven't read the whole thread to see if anybody else answered, but: I believe Red Sky is a short rig O34.

The J/100 is Philippe Kahn's. I'm sure he found something to tweak.

Thanks for the compliments Guitar, Schoonerman. Rick & Connie definitely paid their dues on the race deck. Sorry if we cut into your reporting!

Back to scoring this sucker now.

Just reviewed the thread ... anybody who got swept inside Anita, I'll be waiting for your RAF <_<

And if you see an over-early penalty in the results, it's probably because you were crossing the line within 5 minutes of your start. Sure saw a lot of that.

We (Downtown Uproar) finished a little aftet 5, hopefully without an over-early penalty. We were starting with a mess of GIGANTIC CATAMARANS while trying to get the kite up. Clockwise, slow reach to blackaller, slow reach across toward Raccoon. Then we went genoa up, and couldn't point worth a shit. I blame the rig tension, the skipper thinks maybe we just suck. He's an idiot, we're AWESOME so it must have been the rig. Parking lot at the east end of raccoon, complete with a counter-current shoving us back into the strait. Spat out into the flood, finally. A mild sail up to Red Rock, went wide, watched Gordie and everyone else trying to get unstuck from the north side of the rock (again, a brutal counter-current sweeping everyone back onto the rock from the north, ugh).

Slipped down the east edge of Red Rock, scaring the shit out of me, then tried for the eastern shore, damn near got flushed into San Pablo. Tacked wildly and erratically for various bad reasons until figuring out that the right answer was to stay in the very teeth of the flood, directly south of red rock, for the wind. Power reach to TI with too much sail up as the westerly filled. Parking lot south of TI. That was WEIRD, you could be 20 feet behind someone slowwwwwly drifting around TI to the wind line, but they hit the wind 5 minutes before you do (there was a REALLY sharp line that was very stable) and ZOOM they're gone.

Then just basic upwind work in the early ebb outta the south bay, working the cityfront (not too close) for, hopefully, maximal current, and finish.

Up with the kite, back to TI to put the boat away and then die of exhaustion.

Glorious day all around!

A long day for JetStream but a fun day. We are new to the Alamedra dry sailing scene, and it adds a few hours to the day. Left the house at 6AM and didn't get back until after 10PM, yikes. I'd love if South Beach would get some dry sailing facilities (schoonerman??). Went clockwise and quickly parked it at Anita Rock, for what it seemed an eternity. It was tough just being 100 yards from the starting line an hour after our start. But after talking to some friends I take an hour at Anita, than 3 hours in TI. It was a nice reach across the bay and a nice spinny run from the straits to Red Rock. Quite a choreography gybing around all the boats. A bit of a mess around Red Rock a lot of boats converged at that point. Decided to go right to get back to the westerly. Worked for a while, caught up to some of the front runners which were maybe a quarter mile further east before falling into my own windhole around Southhampton shoal. A great power reach to TI were we had the last re-start of the day. Nice breeze from TI all the way to the finish back to GGYC.

A total of 4 restarts for us:

- The initial hole at the start

- A brief windline before entering Raccoon Straits

- Angel Is./Southhampton hole

- The crazy hole behind south of TI

Fun day, definitely a fiasco. Thank to the SSS and the RC for putting a great race.

Left the house at 6AM and didn't get back until after 10PM, yikes
Hey you can't count the time you went to the BAR before you hauled out !

Velocious got a decent start, though we were hustling up with only 3-4 minutes to spare before we killed the outboard. Anway, it was slowish but not bad to Blackaller, but then we went out into the current more than most and that made some difference.

George elected to take my sage advice. (NOT) and go 'round the backside of Angel Island rather than up Raccoon Straits. That looked golden for a couple of hours, as we had steady, but light wind from the SE. But then it got slow going up to ReD Rock and a whole lot of boat got there before we did....though we did remarkably well for our little group. We chased the little 5.7 meter all day long, crossed tacks with him a few times heading up to Red Rock.

One of the other SC 27's cut it really close around the back of the island and managed to NOT run aground, and got 300 yards on us from that slick maneuver. Once around the breeze was steady all the way down to TI, we never saw the hole at Southampton that so many reported.

Came chugging into TI with a mess of other boats, and it was mighty slow back there, but we managed to get out in company with 3-4 Express 27's...Archimedes was one of them. How you exited the hole behind TI made a big difference in how you finished!

We crossed the finish line about 5:10 maybe 5:15 of so, feeling like we done OK all around.

We also saw a white Moore 24 who shall remain nameless, go well inside the 100 yard restricted area off of the Richmond Long Wharf, and a rather large light yellow Trimaran cut it awfully close. I don't have a tape measure but we tacked out to stay 100 yards off and the tri was quite a ways in closer than we were. Aside from that, no worries all day.

MANY thanks to the Race Comittee, and Corvo gets t