Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mid

Phuket : Freak yacht crash kills NT girl

Freak yacht crash kills NT girl

BEN LANGFORD

February 24th, 2009

ali-van-os.jpg

TRAGEDY: Ali van Os, described as an'entrancing' girl, was tragically killed in a freak yachting accident.

A DARWIN family has been rocked by tragedy after a boat accident in Thailand claimed their daughter's life.

Ali van Os, 16, who was fatally injured when a huge "superyacht" surged into a wharf where she was standing, was yesterday remembered as a beautiful and entrancing girl.

Her parents, Darwin author Joanne van Os and her husband, barrister Lex Silvester, had to make the heartbreaking decision to turn off Ali's life support system at 6pm last night.

Family friend Terri Robson yesterday said the family were "very upset" but they wanted to thank friends in the Territory for their support over the past week.

She said Ali was an "amazing young woman".

"Ali's just one of those people that's just so engaging," she said. "People were entranced by her."

The incident happened at Yacht Haven marina on the north of Phuket Island.

Ali had been with her parents on a friend's boat when the yacht sailed in and she rushed over to have a closer look as it was tied up.

It is believed the yacht surged forward into the wharf and Ali was hit in the head by a 10cm wide mooring rope known as a hawser.

Thai authorities are investigating the incident.

Ali was rushed to Bangkok Hospital in Phuket where her family said she received "world-class" care, but she had lost a lot of blood and tests showed her brain was not functioning.

Another friend said that Ali and her family had received "excellent" treatment from the hospital, officials and authorities.

Ms Robson said many family members had rushed to Thailand to hold a vigil by Ali's bedside.

"Jo said that she's comfortable," she said. "She's not feeling any pain - the pain is obviously with her family and friends."

Ms van Os is a well-known author, famous for her children's book Brumby Plains and her memoir Outback Heart.

Mr Silvester is a prominent barrister in Darwin and is well known for his love of fishing.

ntnews.com.au

Very sad story, my condolences to the family.

Not too unlike what happened at Disney Land a few years ago - Docking a big 'pretend' ship and some how sling shotted a cleat off the dock - same bad result.

Ali's dad has been a friend for about 30 years. Lex and Jo absolutely adored Ali - this is so sad and will be very hard on the family.

Ali was a fantastic kid - absolutely stunning and with such a bright, happy disposition. She had a mild impairment that resulted in her acting younger, more child like than her actual age (but far from calling her intellectually handicapped, she was astonishingly intelligent at the same time as seeming child-like). Because of this, the family decided to cruise around the world to give Ali wider experience, but in a comfortable environment of having her parents there. Lex retired from his career as a barrister and bought the boat specially to do this trip. He had sailed before (owned a Mottle 33 then an Adams 16 metre), but had converted to being a mad keen fisherman, loving the rivers of Kakadu and the Top End.

Everyone who knew Ali loved her to bits. I guess it was a concern that between her stunning looks and her naivete, there was always a chance that someone would take advantage of her - but Ali had so many people who would protect her if they ever saw anything like that happening. She really was a gorgeous person, dearly loved by her family and friends, who all just wanted the best for her. A truly special and captivating girl, she will be so sadly missed.

Oh no! At Yacht Haven. That place is a mill pond. How could something like that happen there?

V sad piece of news Mid.

Ali's dad has been a friend for about 30 years. Lex and Jo absolutely adored Ali - this is so sad and will be very hard on the family.

Ali was a fantastic kid - absolutely stunning and with such a bright, happy disposition. She had a mild impairment that resulted in her acting younger, more child like than her actual age (but far from calling her intellectually handicapped, she was astonishingly intelligent at the same time as seeming child-like). Because of this, the family decided to cruise around the world to give Ali wider experience, but in a comfortable environment of having her parents there. Lex retired from his career as a barrister and bought the boat specially to do this trip. He had sailed before (owned a Mottle 33 then an Adams 16 metre), but had converted to being a mad keen fisherman, loving the rivers of Kakadu and the Top End.

Everyone who knew Ali loved her to bits. I guess it was a concern that between her stunning looks and her naivete, there was always a chance that someone would take advantage of her - but Ali had so many people who would protect her if they ever saw anything like that happening. She really was a gorgeous person, dearly loved by her family and friends, who all just wanted the best for her. A truly special and captivating girl, she will be so sadly missed.

Absolutely terrible news an for you Recid, please pass on my sincere condolences to the Os Family, just tragic.

Sorry for your loss, friend. Please pass on to her family the condolences of a stranger.

BS

Condolences R. Terrible news, keep the chin up.

Sad very sad. Thanks for posting that Recidivist, my condolences to all who knew her sounds like she was a great kid.

Condolences R. Terrible news, keep the chin up.

That's horrible. My condolences

How sad.

And a reminder to all of us that even something as apparently soft as a piece of line can deliver a lethal blow.

There was a case in Long Island Sound about 15 years ago of a crew member being killed during an accidental gybe in heavy weather -- turns out it was the mainsheet that struck his head rather than the boom or a fitting -- there was even a neurologist on board but he could not be saved.

What a beautiful child and what lovely parents. How lucky that they had the wherewithal and the spirit to cruise with her. I hope they are spared the anguish of second-guessing their choice.

There is nothing soft about a 10cm hawser!

This awful tragedy should remind us all that boats/ships are at their most dangerous when docking.

From the Phuket Gazette yesterday, the vessel was a 50metre luxury monster probably with tens of thousands of horsepower. The vessel was made fast, or in the process, but a crew member accidentally bumped the throttle, causing the vessel to surge. The sheer power and mass of the vessel snapped the hawser and the Ali was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Unimaginably bad luck, and a ray of sunshine was snuffed out - like a candle in the wind.

The vessel, MY Jemasa, is the largest one in this photo, taken at Yacht Haven after the accident. Photo from Phuket Gazette.

Everyone who was touched by Ali will hold her memory dear.

post-1652-1235519746_thumb.jpg

Thoughts for Ali and her family and friends.

As for the Jemasa? Not so much.............

how sad - hopefully she felt nothing

parents should never out live their children

how sad - hopefully she felt nothing

parents should never out live their children

Never..........

Oh shit. I know the family as well. Heartbreaking....

horrible story, thought and prayers to all involved...what a sad day.

egads.....

That's tragic. Wrong place, wrong time, very unlucky.

My thoughts go out to the grieving family and friends.

unbelievably unlucky. such a shame and loss to the family and friends.

Wow. So incredibly sorry for the loss of your friend, Recidivist, and for the pain of her family. Horrible!

Ah shit mate!

Very sad to hear that. I hope the family can come out the other side of this ok.

Bad... very very bad..... and exceptionally sad.

For those of us that spent our childhoods fascinated by boats and all things nautical, just sitting on the dockside watching the goings on, or pottering about catching ropes, in awe of the activity, equipment, sounds, sights, smells & characters, you think this sort of thing just can't happen.

As mentioned above, I do hope none of the family & friends blames themselves for her being in the position she was..... we've all been stood there a thousand times..... she wasn't to know the risks, or what can happen, or the quirks of complex coincedences that bring these type of event upon us.... even as adults we still don't fully appreciate how close to the wind we sometimes sail.

Huge condolences to all close & involved.

Not good news at all...

Everything I've heard from friends of hers about ali is all good, apparently she was just a beautiful, smart down to earth girl...Very unfortunate thing to happen...

Wow indeed.

My thoughts and sincere condolences to you, and to Ali's family and other friends.

Very sad and sincere condolenses to the family.

I was working on the same dock the day before and after the accident.

The Marina managers were with her at the time watching as the boat docked.

Evindently one of the crew was covering up the helming stations after a perfect docking by the Captain.

The cover bumped the throttles forward.

The Hawser was ripped from the dock narrowly missing Nick the Manager before hitting poor Ali.

It also broke the leg of a Thai Gentleman at the same time.

Shocking and extremely unfortunate......

Lawyers are flying in to deal with the legal aspect.

I suppose the Captain is responsible in the end....

Sad in every way.

So sad to hear of a young shinning light passing on so tragically & the void that will be left for those dear to her & the rest of us. Condolences to Recidivist, and to your dear friends family and their friends.

The loss of a child is unimaginable.

Condolences to the family and friends of Ali.

Fair winds, Ali.

Very sad and sincere condolenses to the family.

I was working on the same dock the day before and after the accident.

The Marina managers were with her at the time watching as the boat docked.

Evindently one of the crew was covering up the helming stations after a perfect docking by the Captain.

The cover bumped the throttles forward.

The Hawser was ripped from the dock narrowly missing Nick the Manager before hitting poor Ali.

It also broke the leg of a Thai Gentleman at the same time.

Shocking and extremely unfortunate......

Lawyers are flying in to deal with the legal aspect.

I suppose the Captain is responsible in the end....

Sad in every way.

Very unfortunate incident.... and close call for you mate!

Makes one wonder if the use of these on helmsmen, while in-harbour, should be made mandatory for safety.

Not to shut engines when helmsman leaves station but to disengage the drives.

13413227b7.jpg

From the Phuket Gazette yesterday, the vessel was a 50metre luxury monster probably with tens of thousands of horsepower. The vessel was made fast, or in the process, but a crew member accidentally bumped the throttle, causing the vessel to surge. The sheer power and mass of the vessel snapped the hawser and the Ali was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Unimaginably bad luck, and a ray of sunshine was snuffed out - like a candle in the wind.

The vessel, MY Jemasa, is the largest one in this photo, taken at Yacht Haven after the accident. Photo from Phuket Gazette.

Just tragic,

How the hell did a crew member manage to bump the throttle??

Condolences to the family. I hope your daughter didn't suffer too badly. You gave her a wonderful life and you maximized her chances of seeing and experiencing parts of the world that are inaccessible to most others with a disability. While her life was tragically short, you should be proud and your efforts will serve as a role model to me. Further, I will remind my guys today about the danger of working with lines or being around them. It is easy to forget.

To the Ed: Thanks for posting the obit and the circumstances of the accident. There are important lessons in it. I was working on a fast ferry 15 years ago in WA where something similar happened. A line parted during docking and took the legs off of a young deckhand. Wrong place... wrong time... just like this. The energy "stored" in lines is unbelieveably high, and it is usually a defective or worn line that goes. Just like hydraulic hoses you cannot visually see the internal wear or damage so you have to replace the lines on a regular basis. These things are like time bombs and all you can do is stay well clear of them. It is easy to forget.

Recidivist and all you who knew her and her family, I'm sorry for your tragic loss. Fair winds...

Our thoughts and prayers are with ALL involved in this tragic accident. Fair winds Ali.

That's terrible, my thoughts and prayers for the family.

Is she related in Pete Van O's of Morning Light fame?

What a terrible tragedy and to happen to such a lovely young woman - very sad.

Condolences to her family.

Fair winds and peace, child.

Condolences to the family and all who knew her.

Condolences to the family and all who knew her.

I need an angel up there , to watch over me and my ship.....

thor

Condolences to the family. I hope your daughter didn't suffer too badly. You gave her a wonderful life and you maximized her chances of seeing and experiencing parts of the world that are inaccessible to most others with a disability. While her life was tragically short, you should be proud and your efforts will serve as a role model to me. Further, I will remind my guys today about the danger of working with lines or being around them. It is easy to forget.

To the Ed: Thanks for posting the obit and the circumstances of the accident. There are important lessons in it. I was working on a fast ferry 15 years ago in WA where something similar happened. A line parted during docking and took the legs off of a young deckhand. Wrong place... wrong time... just like this. The energy "stored" in lines is unbelieveably high, and it is usually a defective or worn line that goes. Just like hydraulic hoses you cannot visually see the internal wear or damage so you have to replace the lines on a regular basis. These things are like time bombs and all you can do is stay well clear of them. It is easy to forget.

I have seen 2 1/2 diameter double braid part, not at the eyesplice, and on an unworn section of the line 6ft from the eye. It parted when a floating bollard jammed in the slot in the wall of a lock. It raised our 100 ft barge about two feet before it parted and slammed into the forward bulwark making a 4 in deep by 2ft long dent in the quarter inch thick steel and popped the steel of the deck upwards on the outside and downward on the inside of the end brace half an inch. As soon as it hung we called the lockmaster to close the valves and it fell another foot and half before they could get them closed.

Condolences To All. Iagree with earlier Posts, No one should outlive their children. I hope they can take some small measure of solace in the celebration of the wonders and joy she brought to all lives she touched in the time she was here.

C.T.

What an awful tragedy.

My condolences to her family and friend.

My respect to her parents, called to a such tragic decision no one should ever face.

What a truly horrible story.

I saw a guy throw a 2" diameter warp with eye splice over a bollard to take the way off a pleasure boat day tripper thing in Greece. The result when it slipped off the top of the bollard was terrifying. It literally flew past the people at the dockside at head height.

The captain of the boat had a broken arm from a previous rope incident.

Only the good die young?

Condolences.

Just tragic,

How the hell did a crew member manage to bump the throttle??

Very, very sad indeed. My heartfelt condolences to the family and everyone that new her and loved her.

And depending on what control it was it is easier to do than you think to bump into gear and yachts like just don't slide into gear they jump from nothing to about 5 knots like right now. It takes an experience hand to know how to operate these things safely and a big boat develops big loads, even at low speeds, in a big hurry if it's trying to be restrained.

I've seen the opposite when a fellow I know had the gear shift stick on with his 52 pilothouse when he was bringing it into the marina because his crew put the bridge cover on and the ears on the cover covering the controls pinned the shift in forward. He was in idle and had the presence of mind to put the boat into the end of the pier rather then taking out a row of boathouses and possibly hurting unsuspecting people in them or on the dock. Fortunately it was only the boat that got hurt to the tune of 30k or so.

I'm sure the owner/skipper and crew of this yacht are just sick about this too - these are not amateur "Rodney's" that are throwing around this type of machinery.

A very tragic, sad accident. :(

Things like this are not supposed to happen

Amen.

Fair winds and following seas Ali.

My condolences to family and friends.It is truly heartbreaking.

I'm sure the owner/skipper and crew of this yacht are just sick about this too - these are not amateur "Rodney's" that are throwing around this type of machinery.

Absolutely, they would be shattered.....

A week before l watched them park this boat at a differant Marina.

They backed 100MTRS down a narrow finger inside the Marina complex effortlessly....silky smooth.

They certainly aint "Rodney's"...

The loss of a child is a horrendous thing to go through.

My deepest sympathy for the family and all friends of the family.

I've been on the boat and met the owners and the crew - they are lovely people. They will be absolutely devastated by what has happened.

My thoughts are with Ali's family.

It is very upsetting to read about this tragic accident the young lady Ali endured in our part of the world. Our condolences go out to Joanne van Os, Lex Silvester, family and friends. Lex's former Adams 16 metre Touché has recently been seen in Asian waters. Hopefully the superyacht MY Jemasa and the Yacht Haven Marina people do the right thing.

Capt Marty Rijkuris

I met Ali at One15 Marina, Singapore onboard SEA RANCH, she was adorable. Should Joanne and Lex read this, condolances from all of us in singapore who met your daughter. She was unforgettable! From WILDCARD, SEA RANCH and SAIDERIA

I met Ali at One15 Marina, Singapore onboard SEA RANCH, she was adorable. Should Joanne and Lex read this, condolances from all of us in singapore who met your daughter. She was unforgettable! From WILDCARD, SEA RANCH and SAIDERIA

Oh mate, that's too close to home (both of us).

I echo your thoughts....

Ali was a spirit on loan to the world, untouched by its burdens. She sprinkled lite and beauty with her presence. All of whom she dusted, however briefly have had their world brightened by her too brief visit.

Condolences to Joanne and Lex and Family