Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MR.CLEAN

New Chick On The Block

21 year-old solo racer Katie Miller is the newest member of the elite cadre of English solo women racers that have come on the scene since Ellen Macarthur invigorated the discipline with her stunning singlehanded performances. Katie just announced a two-year deal with software company BluQube that will cover her 2009 OSTAR bid as well as get her to the line of the 2010 Figaro European Champs – a hell of an achievement for a university student at any time, but even more so now that sponsor dollars have been drying up everywhere. Whether her performance is as good as her ability so find money remains to be seen.

Katie says that Sailing Anarchy is the first thing she checks every morning, and she's agreed to do an Innerview with us next week. Since you SA readers always come up with great questions, how about posting them here? We'll pick the best ones and see what the young Katie has to say.

Photos courtesy of Katiemillerracing.com

3/4/2009

KMYR_0121.jpg

081002_ML0093.jpg

SBS08d_M0410.jpg

How is she planning on balancing school and the campaign? What past experiences did she promote when she was searching for sponsors?

I think that this is fantastic. Good on her for being so inspired by the other top British female sailors and in turn inspiring other young girls to take up the sport. I wonder whether more women are taking up short handed / single handed sailing because other divisions of the sport are so full of male Male chauvinistic attitudes....i know id rather sail with my other half than a boat load of hairy arse bastards...no offence boys!! :)

Why do she think Ellen never entered the Figaro ?

Katie's aiming for the 2016 Vendee.

Does she plan on spending the next four or five years in the Figaro class before trying to step up into a 60, or will there be something else, such as a Class 40, in the interim?

In the spirit of SA, you know someone has to ask: Does she have a boy toy? and would she like some rail meat of the manly variety? ;)

1. What was her early experience? What boat did she learn on and what has been her progression through boats so far?

2. Who has been the most important influence in her sailing life so far?

3. Who career in offshore sailing would she like to emulate?

4. If she had the chance to sail in the TJV this year, and could choose anyone to crew for, who would it be?

5. Does she speak French?

6. Where is she going to base herself out of?

7. If you look at the panapoly of skills needed to be a successful offshore racer (sailing, boat building, sleep management, navigation, sail making, rigging, fund raising, marketing, etc.) what does she think are her strongest skills, what are her weakest and what is she doing to strengthen her weak skills.

That is all I can think of at the moment.

She was one of the speakers last weekend at the Petit Bateau Solo sailing forum. I was impressed with how well she came across - she had to ad lib while they were sorting out computers for her presentation and she was great at it.

Think she'll have a tough Ostar (is there any other kind) and be really interested to hear what she thinks her prospects for the race are now that it's run on IRC (I think it was previously run in boat length classes) and how she rates the competition.

Solar, that question gives a lot of insight, the Figaro is a very tough nut to crack. Will take yrs to be good in that.

Most sponsors do not have the time for that...

So if she gives a straight answer, you know her knowledge.

If she gives bullshit like I can do it and win we know PR got the overhand.

Racing ROn, good IRC question, that sucks :) Was the last not run on IRC already ?

If it's not too late to add...

+1 for how do you balance sailing and studying, two activities that to be successful in either takes up most of your time?

What inspired you to start solo racing?

What advice would you give to someone who wanted to pursue a career in solo racing?

21 year-old solo racer Katie Miller is the newest member of the elite cadre of English solo women racers that have come on the scene since Ellen Macarthur invigorated the discipline with her stunning singlehanded performances. Katie just announced a two-year deal with software company BluQube that will cover her 2009 OSTAR bid as well as get her to the line of the 2010 Figaro European Champs – a hell of an achievement for a university student at any time, but even more so now that sponsor dollars have been drying up everywhere. Whether her performance is as good as her ability so find money remains to be seen.

Katie says that Sailing Anarchy is the first thing she checks every morning, and she's agreed to do an Innerview with us next week. Since you SA readers always come up with great questions, how about posting them here? We'll pick the best ones and see what the young Katie has to say.

3/4/2009

Cool. SA should support her in every way possible. With others paving the way for her we can only admire such tenaciousness and pugnacity. Rock on gurl!!

<cough>can't believe it wasn't the first question</cough>

Show us your tits?

Thanks for keepin' it real, hoom. Anything else for the young Ms. Miller? I hope to speak to her by the end of the week.

Thanks for keepin' it real, hoom. Anything else for the young Ms. Miller? I hope to speak to her by the end of the week.

If you could wish her all the very best of luck in her sailing ambitions and it was very good to see her out in the Garmin Spring series last Sunday. Oh and ask her to smile more... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It'd be interesting to know what and how much of an involvment katie has had in her campaign. From what I've seen and heard it doesn't seem to be much. She's lucky enough to have a huge team, not too far away from Offshore Challenges, which have helped do alot of the work so she can get on with her uni work. But this is just observation and a bit of scuttlebutt from the pier view so would be interesting to hear fromt he horses mouth.

Ask her what she make of her new competition, Hannah White, as pointed out at the solo festival they're nearly exactly 4 years apart. I personally can't stand Hannah, she's a real stuck up bitch who was making such a fuss over katie's claim to be the youngest entrant into the OSTAR. With the help katie's had from some of the top sailors, she really has no excuse to let Hannah beat her!

I like Katie, she's a true down to earth chick. Rumours from my mates at uni with her are that she's a lesbien, sounds good to me! lol

j x

It'd be interesting to know what and how much of an involvment katie has had in her campaign. From what I've seen and heard it doesn't seem to be much. She's lucky enough to have a huge team, not too far away from Offshore Challenges, which have helped do alot of the work so she can get on with her uni work. But this is just observation and a bit of scuttlebutt from the pier view so would be interesting to hear fromt he horses mouth.

Ask her what she make of her new competition, Hannah White, as pointed out at the solo festival they're nearly exactly 4 years apart. I personally can't stand Hannah, she's a real stuck up bitch who was making such a fuss over katie's claim to be the youngest entrant into the OSTAR. With the help katie's had from some of the top sailors, she really has no excuse to let Hannah beat her!

I like Katie, she's a true down to earth chick. Rumours from my mates at uni with her are that she's a lesbien, sounds good to me! lol

j x

A very inappropriate comment dickhead. May all your shits be hedgehogs. What right have you got to speak of someone sexual orientation? Crawl back under the rock where you came from. Would love to meet and have a quiet chat some time...

j x

Fucking inbred Pier View troll

OH, if you interview Miss White, ask her how well she prepared her mini transat quali course, and what the result was.. was a bit of a disaster... So my support goes to Sam Davies, she needs all the cash these unproven sailors get...

I can tell you that Katie spends a lot of time in the library beating the books while other kids are drinking and partying and otherwise wasting time...

j x

A very inappropriate comment dickhead. May all your shits be hedgehogs. What right have you got to speak of someone sexual orientation? Crawl back under the rock where you came from. Would love to meet and have a quiet chat some time...

I would entirely agree - Katie (i've worked boat shows with her a couple of times) is a nice girl and her personal preferences of bed partner frankly are of no interest. She also seems to have surrounded herself with good people, and I think thats smart. With the way things have moved on I would have thought its unlikely that we'll see someone running everything and living out of a container in OV like Ellen did.

However my experience of meeting Hannah White (admittedly it was once and it was Cork Week) would suggest thats a pretty accurate description.

For those wanting a little more insight they both do blogs on www.ladieswotyacht.com

Good Luck Katie

HW

Thanks for the info, HW - Katie and I are playing phone tag to do this interview, but you just re-motivated me to give her a call today. Last time we traded messages, she said, "I'll never look at Pier View the same again!"

<cough>can't believe it wasn't the first question</cough>

Show us your tits?

That's not a question. Could you rephrase?

Alan - definitely looking forward to the innerview.

Clean - you should ask Katie about her teaming up with Hannah Jenner - I don't know much about about Hannah (except that she isn't Hannah White!) but I met her before she went off to do the round the world thing and she seems very nice.

This is her blog thing which has some info on their link up http://blog.hannahjenner.com/ I'd like to know more - Plus I think its nice to see ladies helping each other out.

HW

Finishing should be enough to beat hannah white, correct me if I'm wrong but she has never managed to cross a finish line on her own.......

3/4/2009

Both Katie and Hannah are very capable but Pip on "The Shed" is where I am putting my money for first female brit home in the OSTAR. She has more solo miles under her belt than most doing the race and experience is king.

Pip seen here (http://www.ninjod.org/archives/IMG_0123.JPG)

The Shed here (http://www.ninjod.org/archives/IMG_0122.JPG)

More info here (http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/people/Proud-Pip-is-so-glad.5046051.jp)

That's not a question. Could you rephrase?
It is when said by a kiwi :P

Hi All,

I had the interview with Mr Clean the other night, so it should be popping up shortly.

Just a short note to say thanks for all your questions (and views!) and if any one ever has another question or two then please dont hesitate to drop me a line.

I hate that this is my first post, guess I am one of the silent crowd!

Cheers,

Katie

Katie -

Thanks for taking the time to do the inteview, and having the patience to deal with some of the stupid comments. Appreciate it, and good luck in the OSTAR.

RM

*ticking off the minutes for a proper SA welcome to pop up*

*ticking off the minutes for a proper SA welcome to pop up*

I almost did it this morning when I first saw her post but decided to let someone else be the tasteless fool!! :)

Welcome to SA!!!!

I'm not really a tasteless fool............

but,

can we see your tits??? :ph34r:

That took almost 5 hours. Geez, this place is slipping.

So when's this in-her-view going to be put on?

Why do she think Ellen never entered the Figaro ?

Huh?

THe FIGARO 2 was still on the drawing board when Ellen was starting out. Sam Davies had one of the first FIGARO 2's, sponsored and funded by Ellen's thriving OFFSHORE CHALLENGES team

j x

YOU FORGET ONE IMPORTANT THING. NEITHER ELLEN OR SAM MADE IT TO THE BIG TIME THROUGH JUST SHEER SAILING RESULTS OR ABILITY ALONE. ELLEN HAD A GREAT WAY AND PERSONA WITH THE PRESS, AND SAM HAS PROVEN TO BE ULTRA VERY MEDIA FRIENDLY WITH HER GREAT DOWN TO EARTH MANNER, EVEN BEFORE SHE STARTED GETTING ONTO THE PODIUMS. HANNAH IS A PR DREAM, OPEN, WARM, INTELLIGENT AND TOTALLY PERSONABLE. RACING RESULTS WILL COUNT, EVENTUALLY, BUT A FACELESS SELF-CENTRE LIKE KATIE WILL NEVER PULL THROUGH UNTIL SHE REALISES THAT SHE HASNT HIT THE BIG TIME YET, AND THEREFORE SHOULD RESPECT HER ROOTS AND HER CURRENT STATUS. HANNAH, YOU ARE BRILL AND DESERVE TO GO FAR

Are you stupid ? THE fig one was racing then.

Sam ultra media friendly before the results came.... bullshit

Ellen a great way and persona with press, absolutely not the first yrs, it was OC, not Ellen.

I was there hanging around when they started in the mini scene... so I know a little about their first steps atsolo offshore racing....

Sam absolutely made it through sailing ability.

Ellen made name through OC campaign (almost before results came) and set down a very good performance.

For instance the Ostar 50 ft class win. VEry good from her to perform while under pressure.

She could have easily failed... and then the Vendee globe result... again very good performance.

AS you know Hannah so well, answer why her mini campaign failed so miserably ? Specially her quali trip ?

Funny you leave a comment on my profile page, first time it happened to me, feel honoured...

And a brilliant comment it is....

"CaptainJSparrow

misguided and factually incorrect "

Thank you... but it fits you better, big laugh...

j x

YOU FORGET ONE IMPORTANT THING. NEITHER ELLEN OR SAM MADE IT TO THE BIG TIME THROUGH JUST SHEER SAILING RESULTS OR ABILITY ALONE. ELLEN HAD A GREAT WAY AND PERSONA WITH THE PRESS, AND SAM HAS PROVEN TO BE ULTRA VERY MEDIA FRIENDLY WITH HER GREAT DOWN TO EARTH MANNER, EVEN BEFORE SHE STARTED GETTING ONTO THE PODIUMS. HANNAH IS A PR DREAM, OPEN, WARM, INTELLIGENT AND TOTALLY PERSONABLE. RACING RESULTS WILL COUNT, EVENTUALLY, BUT A FACELESS SELF-CENTRE LIKE KATIE WILL NEVER PULL THROUGH UNTIL SHE REALISES THAT SHE HASNT HIT THE BIG TIME YET, AND THEREFORE SHOULD RESPECT HER ROOTS AND HER CURRENT STATUS. HANNAH, YOU ARE BRILL AND DESERVE TO GO FAR

Hannah cant even get across the start line.....Reports from the Solo Round The Isle of Wight race suggest she had a spinnaker wrap before the start, was trying to barge in at the weather end of a reaching start line and then hit the start mark so hard (and it wasnt a sofy squishy one but a good old solent navigation mark!) that she had to scoot home for a look see on the damage....The term "Hannah White Racing" surely should have a ? after it...racing she ain't!!!!!!!!!!

PS..........I suggest you ask hannah out on a date as you are cleary in love with her!

just read the Katie Miller interview on the front page. Gotta admit, I was kinda like "who the fuck is this girl?" when your site first covered her BluQube sponsorship and her new campaign, but after reading your interview (which was awesome btw), I have to say i'm a fan. From what I gather in the interview, her attitude and work ethic is spot on. I'll root for her in any race that she shows up to. Good job on the interview. Can't wait for Wednesday to read part 2.

Just read the interview on the front page, great stuff!

A FACELESS SELF-CENTRE LIKE KATIE WILL NEVER PULL THROUGH UNTIL SHE REALISES THAT SHE HASNT HIT THE BIG TIME YET, AND THEREFORE SHOULD RESPECT HER ROOTS AND HER CURRENT STATUS.

Errr...have you ever actually met Katie??? Self centered certainly isn't the impression I got. I really don't see how anything she's done is disrespectful to her roots - she's hardly gone out there are and claimed to be a brilliant from the start. SOunds like she did a pretty thorough apprenticship, which seems kinda smart to me......

Lots of luck to you Katie, and make sure you say Hi to Will in the Sigma 33 at the start of the OSTAR, nice chap!!

HW

QUOTE (CaptainJSparrow @ Apr 18 2009, 09:14 AM) *

A FACELESS SELF-CENTRE LIKE KATIE WILL NEVER PULL THROUGH UNTIL SHE REALISES THAT SHE HASNT HIT THE BIG TIME YET, AND THEREFORE SHOULD RESPECT HER ROOTS AND HER CURRENT STATUS.

Ha, self centred, I don't think anything could be futher from the truth!

Great article. and agree, u're right, she's got a great work ethic, work your balls off! I'm really loking forward to the Ostar, probably more so because I'm not doing it! Thank god for Broadband and tracking devices! Ha!

just read the Katie Miller interview on the front page. Gotta admit, I was kinda like "who the fuck is this girl?" when your site first covered her BluQube sponsorship and her new campaign, but after reading your interview (which was awesome btw), I have to say i'm a fan. From what I gather in the interview, her attitude and work ethic is spot on. I'll root for her in any race that she shows up to. Good job on the interview. Can't wait for Wednesday to read part 2.

+1

Go, Katie, go!

Excellent interview.... best of luck to Katie.

Good stuff - as mentioned earlier I was impressed when I heard her talk a couple of months ago.

Also how smart is this?

The fact that I am a girl has helped out dramatically, and its kind of a shame that it is that way.

Good luck in the Ostar will be cheering her on (though Oscar Mead gotta be my favourite) - very interested to see how she goes against Ms White......