Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kelly

Auatralian FT10 Championships

Great Sunny Day for Round 1 of the Australian Championships.

9 Boats on the line all with a good chance ...

After some very close racing the picture is as follows with 3 races to go. Certainly Hello Tiger and Ophir look the most likely but as I go to print , Hello Tiger had a protest against Ophir regarding the start of race 3.

Place Ties Sail No Boat Name Skipper From Sers Score Race 3 Race 2 Race 1

1 91 HELLO TIGER Andrew Bristow BSC 4.00 2.00 1.00 1.00

2 56 OPHIR Bruce/Neil Tavener DSC/MHYC 5.00 1.00 2.00 2.00

3 66 BALMAIN TIGER Neil Hamilton BSC 9.00 3.00 3.00 3.00

4 92 SOPHIA Philip Mellor RANSA 12.00 4.00 4.00 4.00

5 90 TIGA James Hill RMYC 15.00 5.00 5.00 5.00

6 77 SHERE KHAN Rod Gibbs RANSA 18.00 6.00 6.00 6.00

7 74 SABRE Stuart Birdsall RANSA 22.00 7.00 8.00 7.00

8 64 FORTUNE OF WAR Adrian Gruzman RANSA 23.00 8.00 7.00 8.00

9 79 FLYING BRANDY Marco Tapia SASC 27.00 9.00 9.00 9.00

Race 1... 2 Laps 10-12 Knots angle 140 degrees. ... James Hill in Tiga had a great start but could not hold off Hello Tiger who lead to the first mark from Tiga , Ophir , Balmain Tiger and Shere Khan. Down hill sailing sorted out the fleet with sail handling and riding the lumpy waves sorted out the results .. Hello Tiger, Ophir and Balmain Tiger.

Race 2... 2 Laps 12-14 knots angle 140 degrees.... Sophia pulled off the master stroke of the day , going right at the Boat while the rest of the fleet went left. Next time we saw them was when they returned to the top mark well in front. Tiga was well in the mix half way up the second work when they made a bad call to go left after tiring of hanging off Balmain Tigers windward side. They never really recovered from that and came home fifth , behind Hell Tiger, Ophir , Balmain Tiger and Sophia who gave up a lot of ground down hill after such a great first leg.

Race 3... 2 Laps 12-14 knots, angle 140 degrees.... The smart money was on being right, with most of the fleet going there, those that went left had to find their way back once the lanes became free. Once again Sophia had a great first leg, rounding the top mark just behind Hello Tiger and just in front of Ophir and Balmain Tiger. Great down hill running with some wild drops at the end of down hill leg 1 saw Sabre and Balmain Tiger close behind Hello Tiger and Ophir. Sabre went too early as we approached the South Head reef... Balmain Tiger hung on and got the break to the top mark but could not pull in Hello Tiger and Sophia down hill. Hello Tiger looked to have their 3 rd bullet under control when the did a poor gybe with all the unwanted results when heading back to the last run to the finish. Ophir took advantage of their misfortune and got the bullet ahead of Hello Tiger and Balmain Tiger.

post-11204-1236420311_thumb.jpg

post-11204-1236420387_thumb.jpg

A day out on Balmain Tiger... nice way to spend a Saturday, chasing Hello Tiger and Ophir

post-11204-1236420560_thumb.jpg

post-11204-1236420702_thumb.jpg

Good shit gentlemen. Great turn out for your first one.

Post some times?

Would you give us us the rundown on the sails that are being used?

In the photo of AUS 91 it looks like OME main.

One of many observations from Saturdays racing, those who drop their jibs downhill and those who furl.

Those dropping have horizontal battens.

Times are all on the Audi Sydney Harbour website.

One of many observations from Saturdays racing, those who drop their jibs downhill and those who furl.

Those dropping have horizontal battens.

Times are all on the Audi Sydney Harbour website.

Hi Phil...

Many of the Tiger owners like to Furl, makes Gybing easier, Kite slides across the furled Jib and keeps the fordeckie dry.

Hello Tiger the eventual winner and Iagural Australian Ft10 Champion has a little bet each way, he was partly furling but keeping some Kite out for I know not what.. but then he is the winner and winners are grinners.

Another obserbvation that I a sure you did not miss was that most of the front runners were carrying Neil Pryde delivery sails , now there will be some discussion about that as time goes on.

Bye the way great starting... I think your words , "no photos , did not happen "...

well I was a bit busy during the starts but check out the Audi Regatta Website photo gallery...

For those who could not be there... weather turned a little nasty on day 2 with with rain squally building to constant rain on the way home, with breeze between 15 and 20 knots... made for some tough works across a lumpy course and some hair raising down hill rides across the Sydney Heads with swells often GT 1 Metre . Thats about 3 ft. for the uninitiated...

And for those interested... Final Results.

Great effort from Andrew and his crew, they showed us all around the course for the whole weekend...

Place Ties Sail No Boat Name Skipper From Sers Score Race 6 Race 5 Race 4 Race 3 Race 2 Race 1

1 91 HELLO TIGER Andrew Bristow BSC 6.00 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00

2 56 OPHIR Bruce/Neil Tavener DSC/MHYC 22.00 2.00 4.00 2.00 10.00Q 2.00 2.00

3 66 BALMAIN TIGER Neil Hamilton BSC 24.00 10.00Q 2.00 4.00 2.00 3.00 3.00

4 90 TIGA James Hill RMYC 25.00 5.00 3.00 3.00 4.00 5.00 5.00

5 92 SOPHIA Philip Mellor RANSA 26.00 4.00 6.00 5.00 3.00 4.00 4.00

6 77 SHERE KHAN Rod Gibbs RANSA 35.00 3.00 5.00 10.00C 5.00 6.00 6.00

7 64 FORTUNE OF WAR Adrian Gruzman RANSA 42.00 6.00 7.00 7.00 7.00 7.00 8.00

8 74 SABRE Stuart Birdsall RANSA 45.00 10.00C 8.00 6.00 6.00 8.00 7.00

9 79 FLYING BRANDY Marco Tapia SASC 53.00 7.00 10.00F 10.00C 8.00 9.00 9.00

Detailed Results availabe..

http://www.topyachtsoftware.com/results/20...se-e/SGrp12.htm

All competitors and the and the FT10 Class Association wish to thank MHYC and Audi for a great regatta and particularly the crew on the Course Area E - Start / Finish Boat and their support boats. Great course, great fun , we will be back.

Wish I had a camera for Sundays racing, red kites all over the shop.

Had to feel to Tiga losing their halyard 2 boats from the line in race 2.

Sabre made the best finish in R2, witnessed by all. Say no more.....

Breeze on our B&G had one gust of 18, the rest of the day sat around 16.

Cheers guys, glad you appreciated the efforts of a very good volunteer team.

Another obserbvation that I a sure you did not miss was that most of the front runners were carrying Neil Pryde delivery sails , now there will be some discussion about that as time goes on.

Some may say well modified NP sails on the front runner B)

Well done guys, looked good.

Not all tight racing. A Tiger all on its own.

Just a problem or two in the extra wind on Sunday.

Someone has to tell the story!!!!

FTBroach.pdf

FT.pdf

Gents

I spent an interesting Sat and Sunday moving your start line and gates (comments on any bias welcome!). Hence I have a vast amount of start and "interesting" gate roundings and finish line photos. Its a bit limiting for downloads on this site so I have emailed Neil on your class assoc for the best way to get them to you.

From my humble viewpoint, the leaders were there because they prepared for the roundings and put the boats in the right place going in and coming out. It was noticable. Also when the wind picked up the usual thing of drop a bit early to save the normal mess ups. The roller headsail didnt seem to make much difference as I saw more than one boat coming round the bottom mark without having unfurled it (I won't name names)

Mauna,

check your PMs, I can give you ftp access to the class website for uploading the pictures.

Thanks,

Cazza

Gents

I spent an interesting Sat and Sunday moving your start line and gates (comments on any bias welcome!). Hence I have a vast amount of start and "interesting" gate roundings and finish line photos. Its a bit limiting for downloads on this site so I have emailed Neil on your class assoc for the best way to get them to you.

From my humble viewpoint, the leaders were there because they prepared for the roundings and put the boats in the right place going in and coming out. It was noticable. Also when the wind picked up the usual thing of drop a bit early to save the normal mess ups. The roller headsail didnt seem to make much difference as I saw more than one boat coming round the bottom mark without having unfurled it (I won't name names)

Gents

Newbies...pics please.

me think it's the sticker...

Cazza

post-5330-1236665517_thumb.jpg

Elaborate at your leisure, whats the word.

Well done to all.

Weather looked good, racing close, beats the shit out of sitting around, not sailing, cause of a cyclone warning. :(

Noticed that several boats were blowing their tack lines to drop. Would like to hear your feedback on how effective that was.

We have been avoiding that since everytime we tried it we ended up scrimping it.

Clew

Noticed that several boats were blowing their tack lines to drop. Would like to hear your feedback on how effective that was.

We have been avoiding that since everytime we tried it we ended up scrimping it.

Clew

I saw various methods, but we go for the safety first approach.... jib out/up, dive deep, blow tack, gather kite foot, ease halyard, speeding up drop as the bag dissapears down the companion way and onto the cabin floor. Only coming up to course when 75% of the bag is away (maybe more on a fresh day). Leave everything hooked up and head for the rail, all ready for the next set.

A big turtle bag hung in companion way might be a good idea as the kite laying on the cabin floor impedes convenient and efficient beer access. And sooner or later someones gear bag is going to come out with the kite!

Has worked pretty well so far.

Clew

I saw various methods, but we go for the safety first approach.... jib out/up, dive deep, blow tack, gather kite foot, ease halyard, speeding up drop as the bag dissapears down the companion way and onto the cabin floor. Only coming up to course when 75% of the bag is away (maybe more on a fresh day). Leave everything hooked up and head for the rail, all ready for the next set.

A big turtle bag hung in companion way might be a good idea as the kite laying on the cabin floor impedes convenient and efficient beer access. And sooner or later someones gear bag is going to come out with the kite!

On a 105 we blow the sheet (to unload the sail) then the tack line (gather the unloaded foot) and last halyard. We use a retreiver line and pull it into the forward hatch. Any reason the tigers can't use the same system?

Clew

On a 105 we blow the sheet (to unload the sail) then the tack line (gather the unloaded foot) and last halyard. We use a retreiver line and pull it into the forward hatch. Any reason the tigers can't use the same system?

On the Tiger I sail on, we do it exactly the same way you do on the 105.

Clew

On the Tiger I sail on, we do it exactly the same way you do on the 105.

+ another on my boat. Bryce's technique seems to describe a leeward takedown, which is not the norm for us.

We generally do windward drops. First we grab the lazy sheet to aid pulling the sail around the headstay, blow the active sheet (begin active overhauling of the lazy sheet immediately), then blow the tack to unload the sail (which is really what's collapsing the sail), then feed the halyard once the sail is being actively gathered down the forward hatch. We have a sewer person pulling from below while the bowman feeds from above. Make sure the sewer man minds his head when the pole retracts -- we've had a bloodied ear or two that's taught a quick lesson in pain avoidance.

Pretty good article from Sailing World on A-sail drops here.

Leeward drops in breeze work a lot nicer on the Tiger if you stretch and blow, leaving the tack and sheet on hard to keep the foot dry until the sail is mostly on deck.

a properly applied "Mexican" is a serious weapon in the arsonal!

we also do leward floaters if real windy conditions and of course the windward dowse as explained earlier.

what i've learned as "hotbox" crew position is to blow the pole, then tackline in conjunction with the halyard on weather dowse... on mexicans the key is to have the leward spin sheet in "TIGHT" side the

lifelines...as the boat is turning around the mark, u smoke the halyard, then pole and last the tackline.

we also have a sewer "rat" underneath to help pull the kite in "ALWAYS from the port side" as to avoid

headaches.

a properly applied "Mexican" is a serious weapon in the arsonal!

we also do leward floaters if real windy conditions and of course the windward dowse as explained earlier.

what i've learned as "hotbox" crew position is to blow the pole, then tackline in conjunction with the halyard on weather dowse... on mexicans the key is to have the leward spin sheet in "TIGHT" side the

lifelines...as the boat is turning around the mark, u smoke the halyard, then pole and last the tackline.

we also have a sewer "rat" underneath to help pull the kite in "ALWAYS from the port side" as to avoid

headaches.

We do the occasional ‘Mexican’ as well, but starting with the same leeward, companion way drop as described above, and gybing after the foot is gathered and halyard is on its way.

Whatever works, is a good drop I guess. The advantage we find with dropping into the rear hatch/cabin…. everyone is on deck, back behind mast and ready to hit the rail. The hoist might not be as cool as from the front hatch (have to watch for the bag getting caught twix main and spreaders) but it’s not a big deal.

We were fortunate enough to learn from a pioneer of Sports Yacht Assys. His bursting into tears and uncontrolled shaking, as he relived the trauma of returning the kite to the sailmaker for repairs, every week… encouraged us to use the (his) current and so far, successful and fairly painless approach.