• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PorVida

Watertribe Everglades Challenge Underway

27 posts in this topic

You may be inclined to take a look at this event, which started this morning in Tampa Bay and concludes in Key Largo.

Right now, multihulls are holding the top three positions after having passed through Checkpoint 1 and heading well down course as they approach CP2. The leading boat is being sailed by Internationally known many hull dude, Randy Smyth, known for the race as, Sew Sew, who also designed and built the trimaran. At present, he has a 30-45 minute lead on the second place Tornado team, who were the race winners last year in record time. Third place is being held by an Inter 20 crew. All three boats are way out in front of the rest of the fleet in fairly light winds.

post-31106-1236466404_thumb.jpg

You can read the individual team position posts here:

http://www.watertribe.com/Default.aspx?ucP...on/Threads.ascx

There is a Google Map viewer showing the positions through a click activate button on the front page here:

www.watertribe.com

ChrisO

Apparently Randy has been rescued by the Coast Guard.

From the race log-in page:

"Though we do not know the whole story yet, SewSew turned over off of Naples and was unable to recover. He was calm, had on life jacket with VHF in hand and was able to give the Coast Guard his exact position. He is safely at the Ft. Myers Coast Guard station and his shore crew is on the way to pick him up. We'll let Randy fill in the story later. "

That is one darn nice one-man trimaran that Randy Smyth has here! Looks to be at least as much fun to sail as an A-cat, and possibly faster. Shame he had to abandon after flipping it.

That is one darn nice one-man trimaran that Randy Smyth has here! Looks to be at least as much fun to sail as an A-cat, and possibly faster. Shame he had to abandon after flipping it.

Wasnt this boat supposed to be able to have the ama's slide fore and aft? From earlier pictures I saw that the connection to the main hull was such that it looked possible that both ama's would pivot on the center hull.

Anybody know if he got that workng?

From what I saw of the boat in pictres from last year, as well as the limited views from this year's start, the akas and amas form a pivoting parallelogram. At the ends of the akas are small padded platforms. This setup allows Smyth to rotate the windward ama aft and get get his weight in an optimal location for offwind work... with the leeward ama now well forward, also in an advantageous position.

Last year it was reported that he broke one of the ama to rotating rack supports and the boat became a DNF.

Randy did not have a lot to say after the fact, so factual info is on the sketchy side. I suspect that some of the reported material is in that same ballpark and that only Mr. Smyth could put the whole thing right.

Still, the concept is innovative, the boat is obviously fast when working (he has lead a very fast, well sailed Tornado in both events) and I think that the design has some really strong potential.

Is there anyone on the Forum with regular contact with Randy so that we might be able to see some detail photos and get a report of what went down?

Is there anyone on the Forum with regular contact with Randy so that we might be able to see some detail photos and get a report of what went down?

Maybe we could get Clean to do an interview with Randy Smyth? That would be an excellent follow-up to the recent interview with Hobie Alter. Mr. Clean, what say you?

Bumpy and Lumpy take it a little after 8:00 this morning.

Way to go Steve and Jamie.

From this morning's issue of Duckworks Boatbuilder's Magazine... http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/index.cfm

Lots of photos here showing many of the entered boats.

"Monday, March 9th - 8AMI checked Lumpy and Bumpy's track this morning and found that they had already made it to the finish line so I called Gary and he was there greeting them. So, Lumpy and Bumpy win the 2009 Watertribe Everglades Challenge.

Gary says Lumpy and Bumpy's secret weapon was a borrowed red, white and blue foresail of some kind that allowed them to go fast in light air - even upwind! They certainly did that. The next boat is not yet at checkpoint 2.

Randy Smythe has recovered his boat with no loss of anything. He even got his grainola bars back. Aparently, he had a problem and had to climb out on one of the amas to do some work and a wind gust caught him, capsizing the boat. It was supposed to be possible to right the thing, but an unexpected leak in a hatch and the resulting extra water weight in the boat made that impossible."

but an unexpected leak in a hatch and the resulting extra water weight in the boat made that impossible.

Thank God he was on a multihull. A leaking hatch on a mono? Ciao.

Gary says Lumpy and Bumpy's secret weapon was a borrowed red, white and blue foresail of some kind that allowed them to go fast in light air - even upwind! They certainly did that. The next boat is not yet at checkpoint 2.

Could it be the mythical Chupacabra from Charlie & Johnny's failed Olympic bid?

Mike.

I just talked to Randy.

He was 11 miles offshore, big time in the lead - the breeze picked up and he was dousing the screecher when something fouled. He turned downwind to get it fixed, got caught in a puff and over he went. Had a righting line, but the hatch on an ama blew out when the boat flipped. Was unable to right it. Said he sat on the main hull with the centerboard between his legs, powered up his vhf and called in the cavalry.

He said the #2 boat was following the same track and went by while he was getting rescued..saying "Hey... there's Randy!"

Said he'll try it again next year.

FYI - the boat is much faster than his A-Cat. He told me that he faced off against some Nacra 20's in Pensacola and was pretty well in the lead (any eyewitnesses to this?).

Randy could be in a bathtub with an umbrella for a rig and he would still be mixing it up with the fast boats.

but an unexpected leak in a hatch and the resulting extra water weight in the boat made that impossible.

Thank God he was on a multihull. A leaking hatch on a mono? Ciao.

That's only true for J24's.

I just talked to Randy.

He was 11 miles offshore, big time in the lead - the breeze picked up and he was dousing the screecher when something fouled. He turned downwind to get it fixed, got caught in a puff and over he went. Had a righting line, but the hatch on an ama blew out when the boat flipped. Was unable to right it. Said he sat on the main hull with the centerboard between his legs, powered up his vhf and called in the cavalry.

He said the #2 boat was following the same track and went by while he was getting rescued..saying "Hey... there's Randy!"

FYI - the boat is much faster than his A-Cat. He told me that he faced off against some Nacra 20's in Pensacola and was pretty well in the lead (any eyewitnesses to this?).

The righting technique for the Weta 14 ft tri is to actually flood one ama, rotate to it's side, then lean out to fully right, then let the flooded ama drain (hatch is on transom and can let most volume out without pumping).

Wonder if Randy considered this technique in his design?

I just talked to Randy.

The righting technique for the Weta 14 ft tri is to actually flood one ama, rotate to it's side, then lean out to fully right, then let the flooded ama drain (hatch is on transom and can let most volume out without pumping).

Wonder if Randy considered this technique in his design?

Now you know what I had to go through to have a workable water ballast system on my Raptor.

Just remove the front hatch when turtle with full ballast and stand on the main hull with a line attached to the front crossbeam by the Ama. Pull and up she comes draining the ballast through the 4" hatch. It only holds seven gallons so it drains in seconds.

Picture058-1.jpg

Every boat is different but there are ways to right most boats in this size range solo. If you cannot right it quickly by yourself and have the backups to make sure you can even the fastest boat will come in last. I have great respect for Randy and you can be sure he will be prepared next year against Lumpy & Bumpy.

Could it be the mythical Chupacabra

Yes.

Maybe we could get Clean to do an interview with Randy Smyth? That would be an excellent follow-up to the recent interview with Hobie Alter. Mr. Clean, what say you?

Good idea - someone send me his email address.

BTW, I tried to make sense of that watertribe site, but gave up with a headache, and won't go back. Might want to pass that along.

I just talked to Randy.

[snip, snip]

Does Randy have any plans to manufacture and distribute this one-handed trimaran commercially, once he's ironed out the kinks? Or is this a one-off prototype that will remain exclusive to its builder? Strategery, do you know?

Good idea - someone send me his email address.

Maybe Mr.Clean and Strategery could exchange digits....

PS: Bill Paxton has some nice shots of the boats too, including three good ones of Randy's Sizzor trimaran. (Once you've got the desired picture up, click on "All Sizes" and then "Original" for the 1600x1200 high-res version.)

I just talked to Randy.

A hatch on an ama? Someone who was in the race with him and talked to him on the beach about the boat said the amas were glass over solid foam. Look at this:

http://tinyurl.com/bodez2

See the bubble on the ama bow? That's outgassing. The solid foam ama on my proa does the same thing in the sun.

Kevin

And, first solo sailboat across the finish line is this thing:post-8978-1236906910_thumb.jpg

C'mon guys, it is not that hard, just bring your boats and keep them in one piece :)

Now I need some sleep, have a good day!

P.S. Randy's boat is really cool post-8978-1236907624_thumb.jpg

And, first solo sailboat across the finish line is this thing:post-8978-1236906910_thumb.jpg

C'mon guys, it is not that hard, just bring your boats and keep them in one piece :)

Now I need some sleep, have a good day!

P.S. Randy's boat is really cool post-8978-1236907624_thumb.jpg

Nice job!

Nice job!

Hey, thanks!

I’m pretty sure one day Randy will figure out his boat and wipe everybody out. And then somebody else will do same thing. If you notice in this year results, the second catamaran across the finish, Inter 20 of all things, was beaten by two person kayak. There is more interesting stuff in this race than you can see in the blogs. You got to try it to get hooked up. Where are all Wetas, where are other beach cats?

There is more interesting stuff in this race than you can see in the blogs. You got to try it to get hooked up. Where are all Wetas, where are other beach cats?

Thanks for the personal perspective and insight, CrazyR! This event would be a no-brainer if I didn't have to spend even more time driving to the event than sailing.

Definitely odd that more catamarans participate. Maybe they all know that they don't stand a leg against Randy Smyth. :P

Was it the kayaker's first year doing the race as it was Larry's? :P

(Its also called the NACRA 20 now, guys, it has been for several years :) )

Was it the kayaker's first year doing the race as it was Larry's? :P

The kayakers were world class paddlers. However, I don’t think that RiverSlayer ever did EC before. It doesn’t matter. Trust me; there is a lot you (and me) can learn from so many experienced people coming from different sports.

Watertribe Challenges was not designed as race per say. It is a challenge; first of all we race against ourselves and nature. Race course is difficult, weather unpredictable; there are no postponements or cancelations because of unfavorable conditions. Getting to finish line does matter; JRock and LRock did a great job getting there in respectful time. There is no prize for first place anyway; it is just bragging rights and another benchmark.

And, believe me, knowing that some pesky kayaker sneaking by in shallows while you are sleeping or drifting is quite good motivation to become a better sailor (or paddler) :)