• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dan33

Sailing terms we could do without...

I know the language of sailing is steeped in tradition...but new sailors find it really intimidating. Here's a few words I think we could do without, feel free to add to the list.

- "athwartship" ... I can barely say it let alone understand it!!

- "pushpit" ... sounds like something at a punk rock concert

- "tabernacle" ... that's a curse word in Quebec French!!

carry on.... ;)

Uh.... we have tabernacles here, they are churches. :unsure:

It must still be cold up there. 76deg F today, going for a run (10K in 2 weeks) and then to the boat! B)

Just tell the new sailors they need to blow the guy and after they have done that, would they please put the cunningfucker on.

It must still be cold up there. 76deg F today,

Bugger off... ;)

"Just make sure that the gudgeon is properly sized to fit snugly on your pintle, young man, and that there's no wear or play, otherwise it will be a sloppy fit and it will all fail pretty quick, causing you no end of problems."

pussies

-10f for a low tonight

HIGH = 7f

sailing terms we can do without:

"that thing THERE" (pointing furiously)

"fluffing"

oh wait, maybe not a sailing term

"port? what? you mean right? no? left?"

"boomkin"

pussies

-10f for a low tonight

HIGH = 7f

"fluffing"

"boomkin"

whatthehellareyoudoingthere?

Hey, I realy like sailing terminology. What we need is more of it. Otherwise we will end up going to the front or back, left side right side, downstairs etc. "Pull the rope on the end of the horizontal pole dear". Noooooooooooooooooo !

This reminds me of the first time I sailed a boat that wasn't a gaff rig, which was my first boat and all I was used to sailing on. I went out sailing one day, just myself and the skipper on a Newport30 and the skipper asked me to 'Dump the traveler'. I was standing in the companionway and started to move aft to where travelers on gaffers were located (at least on the gaffer I was used too...) I looked up and said "Dude you don't have a traveler, you have a fucking bimini there."

Oh my, how far I've come.

pussies

-10f for a low tonight

HIGH = 7f

"fluffing"

"boomkin"

That line...no not the red one, the white one, no!!! recleat the red one first, no don't let go...wait, no, aaauuuggghhh!!!

Gonna be sunny and 70 this weekend :rolleyes:

I'll never forget, when I first began racing large boats, being told that after releasing the runners my job was to make certain that assholes in the sheets didn't jam the fairleads.

My wife still has not forgiven me for yelling at her, on a blustery and noisy day 23 years ago, to get what she heard as the "Wind Channel".

Needless to say, she could not find it. And the floggings continued until morale improved...

My wife still has not forgiven me for yelling at her, on a blustery and noisy day 23 years ago, to get what she heard as the "Wind Channel".

Needless to say, she could not find it. And the floggings continued until morale improved...

funny, there was a guy I sailed with on New Year's Day who also heard "wind channel." After we told him what what it was, he kept insisting it should be pronounced "wench handle!" He also didn't know what leeward was because it's pronounced "looward."

funny, there was a guy I sailed with on New Year's Day who also heard "wind channel." After we told him what what it was, he kept insisting it should be pronounced "wench handle!" He also didn't know what leeward was because it's pronounced "looward."

He wasn't from lands downunder by any chance?

"Downfucker"

eeeexcelent

Downfucker (infucker and outfucker too) are pretty much standard terms these days, maybe not with the cruising set but on any race boat - absolutely standard use. I say we vote them into the OED....

My dears, it’s really all very simple. A boat is very much like a farm, except where it isn’t. We may have a tiller, though it does not till. If not, then a wheel, but unlike a farm, only the one. All the many other wheels are rather blocks, though none are square. No chickens, but the men are often found in the cockpit, which sounds natural. Here they grab their winches, rather than in the nearby saloon which might seem more likely. Surprisingly, the saloon is under the doghouse but harbors no dogs. Rather, the dogs surround the hatches, except for the hounds, which are found halfway up the mast. In the saloon we mess with our mates. Don’t look shocked, no, not our partners; those are in the overhead. No, not the ceilings. When the boat heels you are standing on the ceilings, when not then on my holy soul (holly sole) but never on the floors, which you won’t see. Now, when you need to poop, please avoid the poop deck; just shit in my head.

My dears, it's really all very simple. A boat is very much like a farm, except where it isn't. We may have a tiller, though it does not till. If not, then a wheel, but unlike a farm, only the one. All the many other wheels are rather blocks, though none are square. No chickens, but the men are often found in the cockpit, which sounds natural. Here they grab their winches, rather than in the nearby saloon which might seem more likely. Surprisingly, the saloon is under the doghouse but harbors no dogs. Rather, the dogs surround the hatches, except for the hounds, which are found halfway up the mast. In the saloon we mess with our mates. Don't look shocked, no, not our partners; those are in the overhead. No, not the ceilings. When the boat heels you are standing on the ceilings, when not then on my holy soul (holly sole) but never on the floors, which you won't see. Now, when you need to poop, please avoid the poop deck; just shit in my head.

Bravo - that was a great laugh!!!

"Downfucker"

eeeexcelent

Downfucker (infucker and outfucker too) are pretty much standard terms these days, maybe not with the cruising set but on any race boat - absolutely standard use. I say we vote them into the OED....

I suppose cuntingham is an oldie

I love the terminolgogy.

"Pushpit" is just not a word. period.

But there are some words that we don't have "English" translations for like:

bearding line

horn timber

futtock shrouds

Charley Noble

Sampson post

Barney post

Stive

Throat halyard

Whiskey plank

These words only apply to sailing vessels.

I think it is important for a few of us old farts to preserve the integrity of the terminology.

I think it is important.

If some one said to you "Back the main royal brace" would you know what to do?

Ok, it's not something you would say everyday.

But, just in case

Ok just for fun. Do you know the origins of Cunningham?

I'll give you a hint. It has to do with car racing.

"pit bitch" is a bit derogatory to the chickaee's in sailing ... but it does allow me to have a "pit bitch's bitch" when i do pit on Big Boats

:-P

I love the terminolgogy.

But there are some words that we don't have "English" translations for like:

bearding line

horn timber

futtock shrouds

Charley Noble

Sampson post

Barney post

Stive

Throat halyard

Whiskey plank

These words only apply to sailing vessels.

I think it is important for a few of us old farts to preserve the integrity of the terminology.

I think it is important.

But, just in case

Briggs Cunningham?

But a "Charley Noble" is just a stove pipe. Why can't we just say "stovepipe"?

But, just in case

Yes, I would strategically time things so I was down below making drinks for the crew when that call came out. It sounds like work.

Yes, that would be Briggs Cunningham the race car driver and old 12meter helmsman.

Now, next question is why a "Cunningham"? Why not just pull down on the gooseneck?

"Gooseneck" that's a good one.

I like "stern pulpit".

i think yacht should go bye-bye. and with it the yachtie stereotype. hell, the yacht label gave bad press for even, gasp, endeavour.

but then again, who would fill in for judge smails in caddyshack's harbor scene? wait for it...."hey, you scratched my anchor!" summer rental? wind? captain hats?? deck chairs? richard branson and his press about virgin speedboat money? no doom and unmitigated failure?

But, just in case

Yes, I would strategically time things so I was down below making drinks for the crew when that call came out. It sounds like work.

I'll help you.

Advise for people keen to look like they know what they are doing from Yachting World is to

look thoughtfully at the horizon and say "pressure, hmmmm, pressure of 5 coming,"

Nobody can suss you as a knobber with that gem.

I sure could do without "That'll be $2,845.00 please"... :D

You got off lightly that time then?

Nobody can suss you as a knobber with that gem.

Ah...sure...well...say what??

;)

You have sussed me!

A lot of the terminology used by some does seem to intimidate rather than educate.

What's wrong with left hand side or the red rope? Belay that sheet to the starboard aft cleat etc etc.

Even us lot need to think about some of these "skippers" instructions !

Yes, that would be Briggs Cunningham the race car driver and old 12meter helmsman.

Now, next question is why a "Cunningham"? Why not just pull down on the gooseneck?

"Gooseneck" that's a good one.

I like "stern pulpit".

cuz lowering the gooseneck increases the P dimension changing the boats measurement.

I also prefer Stern Pulpit to Pushpit but at least the word is somewhat functional.

Bumpers. That one is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Topsides. Don't use big words if you don't know what they mean.

Helm's alee. Does that actually have any meaning on a boat with a wheel?

You have sussed me!

A lot of the terminology used by some does seem to intimidate rather than educate.

What's wrong with left hand side or the red rope? Belay that sheet to the starboard aft cleat etc etc.

Even us lot need to think about some of these "skippers" instructions !

Same concept as "stage right". The person is standing looking back at you when you say "the left side", then you have to explain who's left, and by that time you have T-boned Maltese Falcon and then the shit really hits the fan. :P

I know the language of sailing is steeped in tradition...but new sailors find it really intimidating. Here's a few words I think we could do without, feel free to add to the list.

- "athwartship" ... I can barely say it let alone understand it!!

- "pushpit" ... sounds like something at a punk rock concert

- "tabernacle" ... that's a curse word in Quebec French!!

carry on.... ;)

-"double reef" ... I can't even say or think of the term now without thinking of the asshole who calls himself Doublereef...argh! But at least he's a harmless madcap chap of an asshole :lol:

Same concept as "stage right". The person is standing looking back at you when you say "the left side", then you have to explain who's left, and by that time you have T-boned Maltese Falcon and then the shit really hits the fan. :P

We were anchored in Falmouth Harbour, Antigua a very short distance from the Maltese Falcon (impressive, but an ugly thing) in mid January...they are still doing repairs to the teak on the SB side.

post-25646-1236891187_thumb.jpg

Your too tight to the wind! Don't backwind the fucking jib! I am drinking a beer up here.......(disgust) for god sakes

"Cunt Splice"

Should we keep it?

As long as we keep 'ease that jib just a cunt's hair'; 'where is the keel cunt with my beer' and 'you stupid cunt, i said get the kite up.' Great word. Serious.

Bumpers. That one is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Please tell me you're not one of those people that use the phrase "Cars have bumpers, boats have fenders" Last time I checked cars have fenders too.

We were anchored in Falmouth Harbour, Antigua a very short distance from the Maltese Falcon (impressive, but an ugly thing) in mid January...they are still doing repairs to the teak on the SB side.

Anyone ever out the attacker? and ask him WTF?

He wasn't from lands downunder by any chance?

nope, he was a hefty 'Merican we brought along for ballast purposes only. Why, do the folks downunder pronounce it "wench" and "leeward?"

I'm also going to nominate "twing." It sounds too wussy to be on a boat.

"Cunt Splice"

Should we keep it?

Definitely. They are reliable even if they can jam in a wench

nope, he was a hefty 'Merican we brought along for ballast purposes only. Why, do the folks downunder pronounce it "wench" and "leeward?"

I'm also going to nominate "twing." It sounds too wussy to be on a boat.

"Tweaker" ain't much better. Unfortunately, our choices are something that sounds wussy or another word for meth head.

I think any sentence that starts with,

AHHH, for FUCK SAKE !!!!!

is not a good omen.

Pal

When did we sail together? :lol:

-"double reef" ... I can't even say or think of the term now without thinking of the asshole who calls himself Doublereef...argh! But at least he's a harmless madcap chap of an asshole :lol:

Thank goodness I am only getting one reef in my new mainsail! :unsure:

pussies

-10f for a low tonight

HIGH = 7f

"fluffing"

"boomkin"

That line...no not the red one, the white one, no!!! recleat the red one first, no don't let go...wait, no, aaauuuggghhh!!!

Muy fun when you find out after the fact that they cant tell the difference between green and red in the first place...

hmm.. I better find me a girlfriend!

They're running a special this week on Craigslist.............

*shudders*

B. N. - "Boat Ninja"

um, thats not what i thought that stood for.

pussies

-10f for a low tonight

HIGH = 7f

"fluffing"

"boomkin"

Muy fun when you find out after the fact that they cant tell the difference between green and red in the first place...

hmm.. I better find me a girlfriend!

They're running a special this week on Craigslist.............

*shudders*

B. N. - "Boat Ninja"

um, thats not what i thought that stood for.

and what's with all the abbreviations that make one sound like they have a mouth full of marbles?

b'lay m'fers strk the miz'n gun'nl

I love the terminolgogy.

Sorry, Bob, it's been in use for at least 20 years...

Kirby 25 Class Association [ msn ]

... and sufficient strength (i.e. steel wire, Aramid Fiber or webbing) shall be fitted to run through the stanchions on each side of the boat from the bow pulpit to the stern pushpit.

http://www.kirby25.com 2.Deck Gear [ msn ]

Deck Gear products include Pushpit Extension Rails, Transom mounted Motor and BBQ Brackets, and a Bimini installed Solar Panel Mounting Frame.

http://www.standsuremarine.com/id12.html

I love the terminolgogy.

Briggs Cunningham?

But a "Charley Noble" is just a stove pipe. Why can't we just say "stovepipe"?

Agree on pushpit. Where did that come from? What an awful (non)term.

Did you know that in some parts of the country a "clever pig" is a Cunningham? (Small boats, mid-west '70s)

On the lakes you were "making trees" if were going fast.

Hate the downf**er, etc. Prefer very specific names for absolutely each function. e.g. a pole downhaul being

different than a pole foreguy. Anyone have a good name for the spin sheet twing that some boats rig and that is

lead out to the end of the main boom?

Have you heard the term the "navigator's balls". Got that from Navy ROTC class.

I always liked the term "kicking strap" which is best pronounced with a British accent.

-ng

The rail meat got into a protracted argument once whether it was "twinger" or "tweaker."

Then we gybed.

Let's keep "rail meat," eh?

Used to race on a boat back in FNQ, where we had a nick name for every thing on the boat. My fave was Sly pig, although being on the bow cuntpit had it's appeal.....

Atomic four is a useless piece of heavy iron in the bilge that likes to spontaneously combust. I vote that this migrane inducer be permanately ban from all vessels, (except for a select few that should never have been built in the first place)And its name never to be spoken again.

I sometimes feel dirty and awkward when I'm hunched over in the bilge, rubbing my seacock down with vaseline, but only when I got it "on the hard". I might feel better if we could call it something else.

Anyone have a good name for the spin sheet twing that some boats rig and that is

lead out to the end of the main boom?

Sorry I'm so late to this thread, but - for sure - Outgrabber.

And I heartily agree that "pushpit" stinks.

Yes a great thread and some great quotes from MSG.

Now Bob and others. If the front one is a pulpit, the back one ergo becomes the pushpit. A stern pulpit is a bit like a front bum, back bum scenario and totally inappropriate.

I read thru and I can't believe no one hit this yet ;

I really can't stand it when I'm racing with a boat load of men and the skipper wants me to "blow the guy" why me

Now, when I met my wife I was tactician for a boatload of all chicks. So it wasn't to bad when I gotta choose who was going to " blow the guy"

A good tribute thread. She definitely apprecates the humor.

And Paps, no. Unless in Oz, you spell 'pull' with only one 'l', 'push' has nothing to do with it. Stern pulpit is what it is. And to be polically correct, we should start calling the other one a 'bow pulpit', which I think is the actual term anyway.

Origin of pulpit:

Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin pulpitum, from Latin, staging, platform.

Origin of pulpit:

Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin pulpitum, from Latin, staging, platform.

My Latin teacher, Miss Vancavage, would be proud of you, Ajax.

Then you could call the one in the bow the pulpitum, and the one in the stern the pulpitee, or some such.

Calloo callay.

Wow. Classic thread revival.

Bimini. Which is a kind of tent, if you think about it.

Which makes this a "tent revival".

So if it's being revived, it must be history, or "past tents".