Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest * photoboy

Missing Richmond Marina Yachtie?

Guest * photoboy

You Richmond folk know more?

Richmond Marina Search Called Off For Missing Man

Posted: 6:56 am PDT March 18, 2009

Updated: 7:23 am PDT March 18, 2009

RICHMOND, Calif. -- The U.S. Coast Guard suspended its search of a Richmond marina early Wednesday for a man witnesses say fell into the water from a dingy he was motoring to his moored boat.

Coast Guard Sector San Francisco received a report that a man had fallen into the water at the Richmond marina at about 9:10 p.m. and responded immediately, launching search crews aboard a 25-foot ship and an MH-65 Dolphin Helicopter, according to U.S. Coast Guard Lt. Junior Grade Christina Jones.

Jones said witnesses reported seeing the man disappear into the water as he tried to board a boat from a smaller dinghy. Whether he was wearing a life jacket could not be confirmed.

Richmond police said the man – identified as Jeffrey Lee Cook -- had just had dinner with friends and was stepping off his dingy to board his larger boat when he fell into the water. A dog with Cook in the boat did not go into the water.

The Coast Guard was notified of the incident by the Richmond Fire Department, who assisted in the search along with Richmond police.

“We had an outgoing tide, but it wasn’t very strong,” said Richmond Fire Department Battalion Chief Merlin Turner. “So we searched (the marina) boat by boat. We had hand-held thermal imaging devices, but we were not able to locate anything.”

The Coast Guard suspended the search at 2:15 a.m.

Jones said the search could be reinitiated pending new information that would change the victim's chances for surviving a prolonged exposure to Bay waters, such as a confirmation that he was wearing a lifejacket or exposure suit, or a new witness account that he had been sighted in a different location.

He has just been found, dead. (via Facebook)

Sad...any more deets on facebook? "Richmond Marina" is somewhat vague...

I have to assume they mean Marina Bay, that is the city's Marina, although I'm not sure where anyone would really moore around there...

Very sad for the victim and his survivors...

sad indeed.

don't get the moored part either, haven't really seen anyone anchored for any length of time anywhere behind the breakwater.

By Moored - I'd guess they ment docked.

How do you fall in at you boat at the docks and die? Not trying to be a smart-ass, I seriously want to know what could cause that. A serious amount of of alcohol (it was St. Paddy's Day)?

How do you fall in at you boat at the docks and die? Not trying to be a smart-ass, I seriously want to know what could cause that. A serious amount of of alcohol (it was St. Paddy's Day)?

Pretty sure you would have to have lots of alcohol or hit your head. It can be a pretty long walk from one slip to another at MB. Perhaps he took his dingy to a friend's boat on another dock or to Salute's (Local restaurant) dock. Late at night, in that area, I can actually see that as being safer than walking in the dark. :(

The guy was at a restaurant celebrating St. Paddy's day. He got into his dink to motor across Marina Bay to his boat and tried to start it while standing up. He fell over and likely hit his head when he fell. This is per witness reports on the morning news.

This has nothing to do with the semi live body found in the water at RYC does it?

This has nothing to do with the semi live body found in the water at RYC does it?

OMG, that just sent shivers up my spine. I have sailed a lot, and drank a lot at that club. Is there mroe on that story?

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_11940136

Missing man's body found in Richmond Marina

By Karl Fischer

West County Times

Posted: 03/18/2009 06:54:22 AM PDT

RICHMOND — A diver found a body in the Richmond Marina on Wednesday afternoon, ending the search for a 46-year-old El Sobrante man who fell in the previous night.

Richmond police believe the body belongs to 46-year-old Jeff Cook, whom they say slipped into the water about 9:10 p.m. as he tried to board a boat from a smaller dinghy.

Police and the U.S. Coast Guard searched for several hours afterward, unsuccessfully. The body appeared near where Cook submerged about 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, police Sgt. Bisa French said.

The Contra Costa Coroner's Office will investigate to verify the victim's identity and cause of death, a representative said.

Nope last I heard that cold guy got a warm ride to the hospital. This appears to be a different case.

No.

Jeff Cook lived on a power boat over on E dock at Marina Bay. He was returning to his boat via his dink and he had his German Shepard on board. No one knows for certain, but there is evidence that he had an engine problem en route. (the cover to his outboard was missing). Somewhere in the process of starting the engine he went into the water in full view of a couple of people who were watching from the promenade. Sadly, we couldn't hear his calls for help, and the two witnesses didn't call 911 until they watched him slip below the surface about 30 yds from shore.

The coasties pulled out the stops, deploying two helo's and a RIB, while the RPD and RFD circled the promenade with lights shining on the water while Bill from Blackwater Diving dove trying to find him. In the meantime, the residents of the marina were searching each of the fingers of the E and D docks trying to see if he had made it close.

The search was called off at 2:15 in the morning. It resumed under the direction of the harbormaster who had solicited NOAA for the use of their bottom mapping sonar boat. Bill found Jeff a bit after 1:00 this after noon.

It's a sad end to a good guy. My hats off to the harbormaster and Bill Fehr who worked to ensure that Jeffs body wasn't just going to be left out there until nature took it's course.

The water is cold folks. Hypothermia can be fixed...drowning....not so much. Be careful out there.

Nick

Jeff Cook lived on a power boat over on E dock at Marina Bay. He was returning to his boat via his dink and he had his German Shepard on board. No one knows for certain, but there is evidence that he had an engine problem en route. (the cover to his outboard was missing). Somewhere in the process of starting the engine he went into the water in full view of a couple of people who were watching from the promenade. Sadly, we couldn't hear his calls for help, and the two witnesses didn't call 911 until they watched him slip below the surface about 30 yds from shore.

The coasties pulled out the stops, deploying two helo's and a RIB, while the RPD and RFD circled the promenade with lights shining on the water while Bill from Blackwater Diving dove trying to find him. In the meantime, the residents of the marina were searching each of the fingers of the E and D docks trying to see if he had made it close.

The search was called off at 2:15 in the morning. It resumed under the direction of the harbormaster who had solicited NOAA for the use of their bottom mapping sonar boat. Bill found Jeff a bit after 1:00 this after noon.

It's a sad end to a good guy. My hats off to the harbormaster and Bill Fehr who worked to ensure that Jeffs body wasn't just going to be left out there until nature took it's course.

The water is cold folks. Hypothermia can be fixed...drowning....not so much. Be careful out there.

Nick

Thanks for the update Nota.

Since this isn't the dude yer boy fished out, how's that guy doing?

What a sad story about this poor man, and how little the people did who possibly could have saved his life.

What's the rest of the story on the cold live guy that got the warm ride?

Since this isn't the dude yer boy fished out, how's that guy doing?

Doing fine, rumor has it.

PM me or we can talk by phone tomorrow. Gotta make dinner at the moment..........

Pretty sure you would have to have lots of alcohol or hit your head. It can be a pretty long walk from one slip to another at MB. Perhaps he took his dingy to a friend's boat on another dock or to Salute's (Local restaurant) dock. Late at night, in that area, I can actually see that as being safer than walking in the dark. :(

Two other friends of mine (a couple) had a beer with Jeff half an hour before he went into the water. In their estimation, he wasn't inebriated. He had taken his dink over to Salute (the neighborhood restaraunt/bar), because a lot of us liveaboards do that...just because. It's a 15 minute walk on the promenade or a 5 minute cruise by dink. Most of us love boats...and taking the dink over is...well it's arriving by boat.

Marina Bay isn't an unsafe neighborhood by the way. The Richmond PD is a block away, and city hall abuts the marina on the NW side. We're pretty closely watched, have our own neighborhood watch on each dock, and a steady police presence with one officer that is assigned to our marina. I run in the mornings and evenings and have never had a problem with the surrounding residents. In fact, the only time we've had a problem in the 8 years I've been here was when a tribe of Buddhist monks (5 or 6 of the saffron clad fuckers) took up residence on a Cal 27.

Right now the water temp in the marina is 62 degrees +/-, so while it's damn cold, it's not so damn cold that someone with all of their faculties couldn't have made the 30 yd swim to shore. We don't know what happened, but it could be that he expended what energy he had attempting to re-board his inflatable (not a particularly easy task when you're weighted down with wet clothing), and succumbed to the cold water. He could have had a heart attack...we just don't know.

A pfd would of kept Jeff afloat...but then how many of us put on a pfd to make a 5 minute hitch to the local pub? Maybe it's time we begin to think of the damn things like seatbelts. As Nike says...Just Do It.

Didn't want to imply that it is dangerous there. My wife jogs on the path often and I have always felt comfortable there. I can just see feeling more comfortable taking the dink from one dock to another rather than walking if it were late at night as it is quite a walk. When I wrote that I didn't know that it happened around 9...thought it was later.

I am actually going to be moving my boat to MB in the next month or 2. I have a slip reserved on E dock.

How sad. :(

Really does make you rethink the PDFs but then getting back into the inflatable with the thing on wouldn't be so easy either.

Really does make you rethink the PDFs but then getting back into the inflatable with the thing on wouldn't be so easy either.

Yes - it does make you think about that PFD . . .

no matter what you are doing . . .

Till I moved to CA, the only time I'd ever worn a PFD was offshore after dark. Still not totally sold on them all the time, but in this case, I'd hope most would wear em.

bump

Why?

Someones padding thier numbers ;)