Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MikeR

j22 forestay

Customer's boat has way too much rake. Forestay turnbuckle is maxed. Need to shorten forestay but want to know what optimum legal length is.

Many thanks,

Cheers,

MikeR

"Optimum" and "legal" should probably NEVER be used in the same sentence.

I'm pretty sure that (note the qualifying word "pretty") there is no maximum.

Check your sailmaker's recommendations - make sure that you understand HOW they are measauring the rake (pay attention here - most people don't), and that the mast butt (most sailmakers are recommending the newer raked mast step - you are a dumb shit if you don't already have this) IS in the location that they recommend and that there is NO backstay OR sidestay tension on for taking the mast rake measurement - i.e. "pure" mast rake.

Give yourself enough take up on the turnbuckle so that you allow for one-half inch minimum of stretch over the life of the forestay (if its new) and probably 2+" on take up to go from heavy air (max aft) to light air (farther forward) as far as rake settings go.

Just my humble thoughts.

There is a stunt where you lay teh forestay agains teh mast and make a mark where it touches teh lower band. Then you measure from that point to teh clevis pin,

SWo0me guys sail with a number like 4 foot 10 and others go as high as 5:5.

Look at your sailmakers rigging guide and see what is recommended for your sails.

Then see how you like it. and adjust accordingly.

beware...Big numbers put a hell of a lot of stress on teh mast base as teh front pin pulls violently on teh deck.

searh for "washergate" on these forums...

There is a stunt where you lay teh forestay agains teh mast and make a mark where it touches teh lower band. Then you measure from that point to teh clevis pin,

SWo0me guys sail with a number like 4 foot 10 and others go as high as 5:5.

Look at your sailmakers rigging guide and see what is recommended for your sails.

Then see how you like it. and adjust accordingly.

beware...Big numbers put a hell of a lot of stress on teh mast base as teh front pin pulls violently on teh deck.

searh for "washergate" on these forums...

The measurement (accordin to North and Quantum) is not to the clevis pin but to the sheer line of the deck or the bottom of the stemhaead fittin at the deck.

5' would be about two inches to much otherwise.

The tuning guide (for your sails) gives a range to work with. Try a few settings in 1/4" jumps to find your sweet spot. Keel shape and position will effect your sweet spot. Not all boats will be the same.

The tuning guide gives pretty good instructions to do this, also provides rig tension #s which are as critical as forestay length. I follow them but ussually go with less lower than recomended.

Not a bad idea to keep one on your boat for a reference.

cheers

Thanks guys, can always count on you.

Cheers,

MikeR

First let me say I don't know if this is your situation. When I first installed the angled mast step on my 1985 hull with original forestay I needed to add a toggle to get the length to the tuning guide number range. I also needed to shorten the top section of my backstay or it just flopped. If this is an older boat with original standing rigging, having the turnbuckle maxed may not indicate too much rake. That said, as others have indicated you really need to use the rig tuning guide procedures and numbers to get a proper starting point. Hope this does some good.